Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: RuPaul’s Best Judy’s Race

• Start Topic

The All Stars pay tribute to the legend, Judy Garland, as they transform their best friends into members of their own drag family! Extra special guest judges: Francis Bean Cobain and Ellen Pompeo.

Airs February 1, 2019.

Thank you so much to ruin the competition Naomi! You could become memorable for your work/stepping out your game (people could be talking about your good lip sync on how you did well, but you outshined your own job with this stupid decision).  One more All Stars season ruined before the finale.

BTW: It was obvious Monet threw it of that lip sync.

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 23

Naomi did to Manila what Shangela was scared to do to Trixie last year and it cost her the crown.

Naomi is playing the game the way it was originally set up - a Drag Race version of "Survivor".

I LIVE!!!!!! 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

Naomi did to Manila what Shangela was scared to do to Trixie last year and it cost her the crown.

Naomi is playing the game the way it was originally set up - a Drag Race version of "Survivor".

I LIVE!!!!!! 

Lets see.. Its seems she also got some of the remainning queens quite angry/not trusting her anymore, specially after be so thankfull to Trinity because she followed their report.

• Love 2

What did you guys think of Monet?  Honestly, the second they came out on the runway, I said "oh she's going home."  I didn't like their looks at all.  Also, they usually only show 5 seconds of those "dancing" challenges (remember Little Women of LA?) and never talk about it.  I also couldn't believe they judged them for real.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ruby Gillis said:

What did you guys think of Monet?  Honestly, the second they came out on the runway, I said "oh she's going home."  I didn't like their looks at all.  Also, they usually only show 5 seconds of those "dancing" challenges (remember Little Women of LA?) and never talk about it.  I also couldn't believe they judged them for real.

I liked what she did on herself... Now on her partner? From the same old bathstuit to that extra white make up, I didnt get it at all.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, DanielleC. said:

Lets see.. Its seems she also got some of the remainning queens quite angry/not trusting her anymore, specially after be so thankfull to Trinity because she followed their report.

There's only one episode left until the Finale.  If she isn't in the bottom next week, it won't matter how angry they are. 

Honestly, I didn't like the whole "report card" concept from the start.  Like - it's cool to hide behind report cards/track records until your friend is in the bottom, so you cry a little bit and save your friend - Nah, I'm glad the precedent has been set - let's get MESSY! 

• Love 3

First, I want to say that I don't understand the judges at all with the critiques of Manila. They clearly were related outfits and stylings. To clock those two as looking like costumes when Monique's wasn't clock that way? Ridiculous. Either way, Latrice would've had a significantly worse track record than either of the two she was up against as well as being, by FAR, the worst tonight. I generally don't like challenges like this so late where it all comes down to personal opinion of the judges in this format. Especially without a lip sync for your life to save you in the event the coin flip fell against you when it comes to their favor.

Second, this further highlights how crappy the setup is. Manila was basically straight dominant for the last 4 challenges. She didn't get the win last time, but she basically won it for her teammates with the design. We just had the queen with the worst track record coming into the episode eliminate the queen with the best track record. After All-Stars 3 with DeLa dominating before self-eliminating and then the robbery of Shangela, why on earth would they allow this crap to happen again? Naomi Smalls eliminating Manila is basically the equivalent of Morgan McMichaels winning her way back into the competition and eliminating DeLa instead of the self-evict.

Monet's lip sync was utter crap. She was banking on the umbrella with glitter, but like every singer in the finale of last season, she is no Sasha Velour with her surprises. In fact, I blame Sasha Velour for all the garbage that people are doing because she made hers look so damn good. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but people generally prefer good imitation. Naomi was good, though. Both of her lip syncs have been pretty good.

Before tonight, I thought with the track records, they can only realistically have one of Manila, Trinity, Monet, or Monique win. If there is a jury deliberation, Naomi certainly has no shot now for what she just pulled. Latrice doesn't have the track record in my opinion, even if she is let into the final 2. No way they will let her win. That leaves just three possible winners. And right now, only Trinity winning next week and winning the crown overall would feel like justice. Even so, she is no Manila.

• Love 14

The wrong person went home. I also have been avoiding spoiler. I like Naomi, but I'm disappointed by the decision. (Naomi had a fierce performance and runway).

I loved Monet's look. She did really well tonight. I thought her makeover went well. They also did well with dancing too. 

The "Judys" were so willing to anything. I can't believe some of them let the queens shave off the eyebrows. 

The makeover challenge seems hard to judge. There are so many variables.

I loved the tribute to Judy Garland and her singing the lip syncs. 

I'm really sad about Manila and I felt for her husband, who was worried he let her down.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DanielleC. said:

I liked what she did on herself... Now on her partner? From the same old bathstuit to that extra white make up, I didnt get it at all.

I thought the extra white makeup may have been intentional, based on Monet's comment earlier in the episode. 

This was a bad elimination.

Are they going to do the same thing as last season where queens vote for the final 2? This may not work out for Naomi. Who is at least a character now. 

• Love 1

I’m so over this format! It has been the worst decision to do all stars this way. I don’t even care who wins now - it shout have been Manila just like it should have been Shangela last time (given De La eliminated herself).

so fucked up!

another asterisk win this year.

• Love 20

Geez, Manila was my absolute fave, but I feel more kinda bummed and confused by the whole thing than indignant and shocked. I really like Monet, but assumed she'd be in the bottom. I loved Patty's natural hair - would love that shade - but wtf was with the whiteface? Yeek. And the runway was meh. How was that a family look but Manila's wasn't? True, I think the comment about the Luzon dresses looking like Party City goddess gowns, but the looks were beautiful, well-done, and cohesive. I'm so disappointed that we don't get to see more Manila looks for the last few eps. I thought Monique might be in the top; perhaps gimmicky but so clever and cute.

Darn it, I was really liking Naomi through tonight - her first LSFYL made me wish I had a local friend to go see a show with, because her back-bends and floor slides were SICKENING - and the twist on Sonny and Cher was fab. She deserved the win, but man, what a disappointment. It's a strategic way to play, and I don't fault her for it, just seems kinda crummy. But I blame the elimination structure, not the contestant. I actually would have been good with a Naomi win, but now it doesn't feel like she "beat the best." (This season's win will have the same De La asterisk.)

Seeing the final six while Ru announced the challenge, I thought damn, how awesome that there are five queens of color, and one Caucasian - I was thrilled with those odds, as it's rather uncomfortable to see the Hall of Fame with all pasty faces featured when there are sooo many non-white queens who just slay. Without Manila, I'm fearful that the path just got easier for a Trinity reign. (And nothing against her, I just wanted to see a little deserved diversity.)

• Love 13

This was confusing and frustrating to watch. All season I’ve been annoyed with Trinity’s bossiness over how they should eliminate people. I get what she’s sayng, but I don’t think it’s as clear cut as she’s made it out. For me personally when Valentina and Naomi were in the bottom I would’ve sent Naomi home because Valentina at least had one win and wasn’t just safe. 

Now more specifically on this episode, I just don’t understand the critique of Manila. I found their performance cute and their runway was the best executed on my opinion. You could tell exactly what they were, the draping on their gowns was beautiful and far from Party City and their hair and makeup was flawless. Then for Naomi to luck out and eliminate Manila was infuriating. She literally has coasted all season and everything she does is so one note. It spoke more to have she views her place on the competition to know she has to eliminate the person who most likely would’ve won. In her mind I feel this at least gives her a shot. 

• Love 12

Credit where due to Naomi's amazing lipsynch and clever "best Judy" runway looks. I think she's been low key underrated this season considering the 1-2 times she could legitimately have been in the top but wasn't. I don't blame her for taking advantage of the rules, either. That's on the show for allowing it.

I'm a low-affect person but audibly gasped at the elimination. I love Manila and think she's a smart, talented, funny, awesome queen with a great outlook on life. I agree she should have been in the bottom but truly hated seeing her go, especially in an episode with her husband. (Whose wild surprise and delight at his transformation was my favorite part of the episode. Well that and the newbie tucks. OW!!)

I watch this the same as I do any other competitive reality show and don't follow the girls offscreen, or know much about them. I enjoy Trinity and, perhaps naively, hope that the winner really is the best queen, but gah. It's not fair for previous racial inequities or perceived slights to be addressed at her expense, but the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by palmaire
  • Love 7

dumb.

Manila should have won the entire season. I hate reality shows that SHOULD BE merit based that are decided by dumb Survivor style garbage... But yay! produced producer bullshit that no one wants.

I do feel badly for Naomi.. she's maybe young and naive enough to fall in line... world of wonder indeed.

• Love 8

The whole challenge felt like a setup to deliberately give All Stars another stupid controversial elimination.  

I mean, seriously, the second they just started showing quick snippets from everybody’s Judy routines, my husband and I were both like “rigging”— they obviously didn’t want us to see who was actually good and who was not-so-good— there’s no real way for the audience to get any sense at all of how anybody performed in that part other than five second clips and then whatever story the judges put out there— I call BS.  There’s a reason we didn’t get to see more of their routines uninterrupted.

Then, Manila gets the “surprise” elimination when her husband just happens to be there to seem to lessen the blow?  Hmmmmm.  That’s awfully convenient.

I didn’t think they could do anything that stunk more than the Shangela fiasco last year, but this one felt even more set up by the producers, it even has me wondering if there’s any real competiton at all on All Stars or if everybody’s just following a preordained storyline script.

Not good, Ru.  Not good at all.

• Love 18

Monique's concept was amazing, I loved the eyes and how they were crossed on the runway, the eyelashes on their gloves, it was perfect and I thought she would be in the top.   I don't agree with the judges about putting Manilla/her husband in the bottom either, I thought they were fab and at least safe.  When Manilla first finished her husbands makeup, I saw Shangela's face in the mirror!  They are so sweet together. 

Alexis Knight/Latrice's Dolly Parton wigs were horrible.  Naomi's makeover subject reminded me  of Trinity K Bonet in her LFYL on 'Oh No She Betta Don't,' except not as good.  I liked it when Trinity shot Naomi down with her whole speech about fairness at the beginning. However I thought Trinity's Judy was lame, they were way too identical.

Why wasn't an Ornacia mask put into the time capsule?

Naomi's lipsync look was so chic, regardless of how much Michelle hates kermit-green...she killed the lipsync.  Monet is not Latrice, she can't stand still only moving her lips and sell a lipsync.

Ok, what the fuck was that result though???  Manilla was soaring to the crown…and Naomi's bullshit whispering "I'm so sorry, I love you"??  Bitch, you're not going to win either, Manilla or not.  Latrice should have gone home….Who's going to win now?  I don't want Trinity win, too many bland white girls in the Hall of Fame.   All Stars is such shit, every year, they should have gotten rid of this fucking format already.

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars isn't enjoyable now that it's pretty much a given that the most deserving queen won't win. 

#JusticeForKatya

#JusticeFor Shangela 

#JusticeForManila

The Weho 3. 

• Love 5

Naomi’s decision was brilliantly strategic.  However, I am disappointed to see Manila leave the competition. I wanted her in the top two. I love Latrice, and she has always been a favorite queen, but she’s not bringing it. At this point, I don’t really care who gets the crown.  Like Manila said, her life will go on and it is a pretty amazing life at that. 😁. She’ll definitely win Miss Congeniality.  Le Sigh 

• Love 3

Good lord almighty. Okay, those were not the best gowns on Manila and her husband, but sheesh. Stunned.

I would've put Monet in the bottom two with Latrice. And I'd have booted Latrice. (But then I'd never have brought her back after her elimination.) Am getting that familiar horrible feeling - it is time for a large and in charge black queen to win All Stars, regardless of how she performs and presents, because she's someone fans have fond memories of.

Reminds me of crowning Trixie last season. World of Shady Moves. Ru is worse than Tyrant these days.

I guess there is still the slimmest of chances Trinity might win? But I will not hold my breath.

I feel sorry for Naomi, now. This format sucks.

• Love 6

Man, we could of had a Hall of Fame with Alaska, Dela/Shangela, and Manila...but nope...I guess the only acceptable final 2 is Trinity and Monét.

shit, I feel like with these rules, I wouldn’t want someone like Shea to compete, cause I could see her totally getting cut the first time she hits the bottom.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 1

My thought process going from enjoying Naomi's lip synch and thinking it'd be great if she was in the finale with Manilla to the shock reveal of the lipstick was such a jarring gear shift I think it gave me whiplash. Where's a rattlesnake sound effect when you need one?

As much as I love Manilla and wanted her to win, I'm seriously impressed by the All About Eve-ness of Naomi's takedown. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

As much as I love Manilla and wanted her to win, I'm seriously impressed by the All About Eve-ness of Naomi's takedown. 

Yeah, I can't blame Naomi.  It was a continuation of her taking risks conversation with Ru.  She had no chance of winning without a bold move.  The other girls can't criticize her for being unmemorable now.  

I'm convinced that they do All Star voting like this because Rupaul doesn't want to be bothered with it.  She always says just being on the show is winning.  I wish they would change it to the winner choosing the bottom 2 to lipsync though.  

• Love 2

WTF? I am not here for this Survivor level bull shit. I'm tired of great queens being eliminated by petty bitches. Call me crazy, but I want to see the best queen win, not the queen that managed to get to the end because she played the game. I want the top three to be the BEST THREE. Naomi has been coasting by all season. She has been safe or in the bottom every week until now. To me, that is not top three material. Manila, on the other hand, has been killing it all season, and that is the kind of contestant I want to see competing for the crown.

As much as I love Latrice, she should have gone home tonight (well, between her and Manila since I did not agree with the bottom two).

I really don't care who wins now.

• Love 16

Producer manipulation to have Latrice and Manila in the bottom 2 and Monét in the top 2 to create drama.  Naomi was the sacrificial lamb to make the “Sophie’s Choice” to provide the drama  

I had Monét in the bottom 2 and Trinity and Monique in the top 2. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I actually would have been good with a Naomi win, but now it doesn't feel like she "beat the best." 

My thought exactly. Good job, Naomi, way to earn a crown! Also, we all know she's probably not going to win regardless, so she really could've spared herself the shame of doing something so mean and shady, and to her "role model - I've loved you since forever - My eyes tear up even just being in the same room as you - I cannot believe we're sitting at the same table" queen on top of that! I don't understand what people think they're gaining from a victory with no dignity. Did Naomi think it's a choice fans of the show are going to appreciate?

8 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

I mean, seriously, the second they just started showing quick snippets from everybody’s Judy routines, my husband and I were both like “rigging”— they obviously didn’t want us to see who was actually good and who was not-so-good— there’s no real way for the audience to get any sense at all of how anybody performed in that part other than five second clips and then whatever story the judges put out there— I call BS.  There’s a reason we didn’t get to see more of their routines uninterrupted.

I agree 1000% with everything you said in your post, but especially this. It felt so weird and it was so quick that most of the time I couldn't even tell whose bit they were showing. I think they did it on purpose (they could for sure have edited it in a way that they would show us 10-15 seconds straight of each couple just once instead of one second of each couple 15 times) to cover up either how unimpressive Latrice and her Judy were or how good Manila and her husband (whom I love and adore and I want to move in with them because they are just all-over perfection) were. I think since Latrice came back the producers are going out of their way to sort of mask through editing how consistently bad she really is, in the vain hope that we don't notice.

Same thing they're doing with Manila, but the other way around. Sometimes I feel the judges give her critiques that make absolutely no sense (like this episode's "I can't see the resemblance" when they looked identical or last episode's "you were interrupting Latrice and overshadowing her" in the club challenge when she was actually trying to resuscitate her from yet another super dull performance) hoping they manage to make her look like she's competition just like everyone else even though she's clearly a cut above the rest.

And I don't know whether the panel faked that reaction or not, but they looked genuinely shocked when Naomi pulled out Manila's lipstick. Hope that's what finally drives it home for Ru that this elimination system is not doing the show any favors. Eliminating the best means keeping the worst, and I'm not sure that's what viewers want to watch.  

• Love 13

I think this episode was scripted-- even Manila was like, "oh, good Judy's in the bottom 2"- but it wasn't supposed to result in Manila going home, although her speech thanking them for bringing her husband on did turn out to be a nice farewell. 

Now I know that I prefer the annoying report card nonsense, at least in a season where the talent level feels so skewed. I'm not looking forward to the rest of the season. 

Naomi played the game has it was originally intended if you want to win but aren’t the “best” and you get the chance you knock off compatition. It’s a dangerous strategy because you never know what queen will boot you next week if you get bottom. Latrice on the other hand has shown some cracks in her personality that we have never seen before. Being so entitled is not a cute look 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 8

I hated that Manila went home, however I was spoiled so the blow was lessened a bit.  All that being said, Manila left with class and her returning will only help. She performed strongly and turned out some outstanding looks, so unlike Latrice she raised her stock. 

She got great exposure 

• Love 4

Manila, my winner, was absolutely robbed just like Shangela. I was so happy to see Naomi win only for her to plunge the knife in. But I love that she had the balls to do it. What a fierce bitch.

Also, as a Manila stan, this is the best thing that could have happened to her. Her new video (with Naomi Smalls including) proves she knows it too. She's so close to making the 1 Million club on Insta now.

Edited by Amello
  • Love 7

Naomi was 5th or 6th place at the beginning of this episode, and at the end she is 4th or 5th place...not in the running for the crown.  Axing Manilla did nothing to benefit her, someone else is going to win and she just looks stupid.  This was the equivalent of Gia Gunn saying 'I'm going to walk over there and stir up some shit to get screen-time' and that sure as fuck didn't get Gia the win either.  Obviously the producers were so pissed at her that they made sure the only screentime Naomi got this season was when she was saying something to/about Manilla, otherwise she isn't even in the episodes.   If it was Trinity sending Manilla home that would be 'playing the game' to win.  Naomi already lost, she just shifted the crown to someone else and made herself look pathetic. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Amello said:

Manila, my winner, was absolutely robbed just like Shangela. I was so happy to see Naomi win only for her to plunge the knife in. But I love that she had the balls to do it. What a fierce bitch.

Also, as a Manila stan, this is the best thing that could have happened to her. Her new video (with Naomi Smalls including) proves she knows it too. She's so close to making the 1 Million club on Insta now.

I dont feel bad for her, I know she will be fine, actually making it a good deal out of this elimination and that is not feelings hurt between the queens.. I feel for me as a viewer.. I want to have a contestant like Manila performing at all the challenges/ serving all the runways, instead we have Latrice with her clear limitations, Naomi that is quite boring like 70% of the time (till she decides to make a effort and stand out), Monique and Monet that almost have a match for top and bottom moments and than Trinity that is the most complete, but IDK, not enough to make it a exciting competition..

5 hours ago, Glade said:

Naomi was 5th or 6th place at the beginning of this episode, and at the end she is 4th or 5th place...not in the running for the crown.  Axing Manilla did nothing to benefit her, someone else is going to win and she just looks stupid.  This was the equivalent of Gia Gunn saying 'I'm going to walk over there and stir up some shit to get screen-time' and that sure as fuck didn't get Gia the win either.  Obviously the producers were so pissed at her that they made sure the only screentime Naomi got this season was when she was saying something to/about Manilla, otherwise she isn't even in the episodes.   If it was Trinity sending Manilla home that would be 'playing the game' to win.  Naomi already lost, she just shifted the crown to someone else and made herself look pathetic. 

Exactly! To make a bold move like this, you need to have all it takes to win.. Naomi dont pushes herself enough and despiste her effort at the very end of the season, is still a quite boring character (had she at least build something during the competition... But it was like: Ok, I´m tired of being boring, I gonna send Manila home/people will notice me more). She would benefit way more to let her talent speak for herself.

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 5

I didn't think that your best Judy was supposed to look like you.  I thought it was supposed to just be a cohesive look.  After all, people's best friends don't necessarily look like them. That said, I knew the judges wouldn't like the gowns that Manilla and her husband wore.  I thought they were cute.   Also, I was afraid she would leave, as she posted about a viewing party on Facebook and someone commented that he hoped the spoilers weren't true.    I quit watching last All Stars after Ben quit and if Trinity goes home, I will probably not watch the final episode.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:33 AM, Richard said:

#JusticeForKatya

#JusticeFor Shangela 

#JusticeForManila

I still love Drag Race -- the fun, the display of talent and style -- but imma have to skip All Stars from now on. It's become painful to watch.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7

Are the contestants told there will be a "double" look? If not, how would Trinity, Monique and Monet have those matching outfits available? Manila's gowns looked like something that actually could be made on the spot out of matching fabric and then decorated to coordinate.

I also don't think it was fair to include the Judy Garland couple performances in the scores (if they really did), since some of the best friends were clearly more performance-abled than others and the contestants didn't choose them. Naomi's friend, for instance, also had nice long legs which he used to advantage. I don't think that aspect hurt Manila, though. Nor do I see why her husband would feel at fault, unless he chose the costumes.

Based on Manila's low ratings and that of Kameron on last season's "Social Media Kings into Queens" challenge, the judges don't see a family resemblance if the looks are black/white opposites. That's too subtle for them. The wigs and makeup need to be matchy matchy.

To be honest, if Manila had resurrected her fruit bowl costume and put a bowl of vegetables and some corn earrings on her husband's head, they might have won!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Is Latrice going to cry about Manila's elimination next week as much as Manila did about Latrice's?

(I know, Latrice wasn't in a position to save Manila without volunteering to be eliminated herself, but still....)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

God, what utter bullshit. And I'm not saying that just because my fave went home, but because I. HATE. THIS. FUCKING. FORMAT. It's so unfair because it doesn't matter how well you do and how many challenges you win, and the most deserving isn't going to win the crown, or even get to be on top 3 (except perhaps on AS2), which absolutely should be the case, 'cause if it isn't, then what the fuck is that title even worth?

NOTHING, that's what. 

I think I'm just gonna stick to the regular season from now on (since it's apparent they're not going to get rid of this format any time soon). At least it doesn't make me so angry. I don't want Drag Race to make me angry. :( 

Rest assured, Naomi, you're not going to win even though you sent Manila home.

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 10
On 2/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, DanielleC. said:

BTW: It was obvious Monet threw it of that lip sync.

I disagree. Monet was going straight, sincere, actual Judy mannerisms in that lipsync, at least for the 8 seconds of it they actually showed. Naomi went big and comedic for the whole thing, and usually, I prefer that on this show, but I appreciated what Monet was doing, and actually liked it more, for myself. But I understand why the direction Naomi went for this LS was probably always going to be the winner in this context. That doesn't mean Monet threw it though. Even what I saw of Monet's duo earlier Judy act - there were a lot of subtle specific very Judy movements and facial expressions.

I didn't like that for the "best Judy" challenge they included significant others. I thought the point was it was basically BFFs. I get that for some of the contestants they probably couldn't get their actual bffs to participate (or their bff's are real performers so it'd be skewed) but I didn't like the mix for this type of a challenge.

• Love 11

Manila has posted a bunch of card related fashion images  featuring Naomi... so we know what narrative she's decided to run with.

I get it but want the show to crown the best not do stupid most dramatic rose ceremony  crap.

• Love 1