Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: RuPaul’s Best Judy’s Race

• Start Topic

On 2/2/2019 at 8:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

WTF? I am not here for this Survivor level bull shit. I'm tired of great queens being eliminated by petty bitches. Call me crazy, but I want to see the best queen win, not the queen that managed to get to the end because she played the game. I want the top three to be the BEST THREE. Naomi has been coasting by all season. She has been safe or in the bottom every week until now. To me, that is not top three material. Manila, on the other hand, has been killing it all season, and that is the kind of contestant I want to see competing for the crown.

As much as I love Latrice, she should have gone home tonight (well, between her and Manila since I did not agree with the bottom two).

I really don't care who wins now.

AMEN!

• Love 4

First of all, Naomi, I didn't even know you were a bitch.

But I mean that with love. Of course I hate that Manilla went home and was in the bottom for such BS reasons. I hate that Trinity wasn't in the top over Monet. Monet looked great, but her Judy's make-up was unblended and clown white and messy. It was okay in the werk room, but HORRIBLE on the stage. I hate that we don't get the worthy top two of Manilla and Trinity. I think Monique also skated by unfairly, although her costumes were marginally more interesting than Manilla's. I hate that Manilla stuck herself and her husband in graduation gowns and called it a day when the makeup was so flawless. I hate that the top five are going to be a little less exciting now without the heights of Manilla pushing them upward.

But I love that finally someone has embraced the cut-throat drama that having the power to eliminate someone is supposed to generate. And I dig that Naomi is kind of a stealth bitch this whole time. I found her lip sync delightful but absolutely nothing to do with Judy Garland. Monet really looked like "Chocolate Judy" as she called herself and she channeled her beautifully in the lip sync. However, she probably should've thrown in a tiny bit of hoofing for the younger audience out there. I have no quarrels with Naomi winning it, but let's be clear as to who was actually channeling La Garland. 

Naomi will be bounced next week if the queens get a chance to do so, I'm sure, but yeah, bitch. You go for it. I hope future all-stars take note.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Rai said:

But I love that finally someone has embraced the cut-throat drama that having the power to eliminate someone is supposed to generate.

Yeah, I mean, I don't blame Naomi - I think that whoever wins that stupid lip sync is entitled to make up their own mind about who they're going to send home and for what reasons. IMO it's their win and their decision, and I think that creating drama á la "THIS ISN'T WHAT WE DECIDED IN UNISON ABOUT WHO WE'RE GONNA SEND HOME" is kind of dumb, because it never works out the way they've "decided" anyway, and everyone should be free to make their own decision on the matter.

But, for me, the format just doesn't work like this. Sadly so. I really don't care about the cut-throat drama, I'd just like to see the most deserving one win - not the one who's maneuvered himself far enough to win.

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, film noire said:

fonzie 3.jpg

This is hilarious!

Question for all: Do you think Naomi eliminating Manila was to get rid of a top queen, or to save Latrice? Because I can't help thinking that, whether personal or more likely producer-driven, this was all about paving the way for Latrice, not ditching Manila. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, SHD said:

Manila was my favorite. Now I don't care who wins.

Patty/Paddy, pre-makeover, looked like an Allman Brothers roadie from 1975.

Word on both counts. I still heart Latrice but Manila was the true All Star here. And Patty was/is adorable. 

This is still a bad format for All Stars, you would think the producers/Ru would admit it, even behind the scenes, and change it for future editions. 

• Love 5

My knowledge of drag is limited to this show, admittedly, but I'm shocked they didn't call out Monet for making Patty look like he was doing kabuki theater.  Powder, indeed.

That elimination was seriously wrong.

• Love 4
On 2/2/2019 at 11:41 AM, stormy weather said:

My thought exactly. Good job, Naomi, way to earn a crown! Also, we all know she's probably not going to win regardless, so she really could've spared herself the shame of doing something so mean and shady, and to her "role model - I've loved you since forever - My eyes tear up even just being in the same room as you - I cannot believe we're sitting at the same table" queen on top of that! I don't understand what people think they're gaining from a victory with no dignity. Did Naomi think it's a choice fans of the show are going to appreciate?

My guess is she had producers buzzing in her ear to make that decision and she didn't think of the consequences.  In the last season's nonsense, one comment rang in my ear- Thorgy's saying, to the effect, no, i'm going to vote my conscience.  I took that to imply she had been encouraged to make another decision (pity vote for davenport), but decided to vote as she wanted (shangela). 

Edited by BarneySays
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I disagree. Monet was going straight, sincere, actual Judy mannerisms in that lipsync, at least for the 8 seconds of it they actually showed. Naomi went big and comedic for the whole thing, and usually, I prefer that on this show, but I appreciated what Monet was doing, and actually liked it more, for myself. But I understand why the direction Naomi went for this LS was probably always going to be the winner in this context.

I would agree with you- except Monet did not look like she was in the moment.  She was gesturing, but not performing, it appeared to me.  She did not command the stage and make eyes turn to her.  IMO she phoned it in. 

On 2/1/2019 at 9:32 PM, DanielleC. said:

Thank you so much to ruin the competition Naomi! You could become memorable for your work/stepping out your game (people could be talking about your good lip sync on how you did well, but you outshined your own job with this stupid decision).  One more All Stars season ruined before the finale.

BTW: It was obvious Monet threw it of that lip sync.

I don't think Monet threw the sync.  I think that she did a note perfect old school rendition of how the song would have been done.  Emoted the hell out of it and even had a very Judy look on.  I just think that the shady editors/production crew knew that monet would not give them the drama they wanted, but they were sure Naomi would with the lipstick choice.... also I think Latrice has a story built in that's going to keep her to the top two.  Whether she deserves it or not.

• Love 1

All-Stars has a tendency to peter out for me. All-Stars 1 certainly did, same with 2. The predetermined outcomes for both Chad and Alaska just made it not all that interesting. In 1, nothing was going to be interesting after watching Raven and Juju weep all over each other in their lip synch. And with 2, once Alaska had her meltdown I was over it, especially knowing that she was going to win. 3 I actually watched all the way through because it was pretty much down to Trixie and Shangela (until the very last) and they were by far the most deserving after Ben de la removed herself. Whether or not you agree with the outcome (I know many don't but still) they were both in the running until the very end.

Now with 4, at this point the most deserving is Trinity. No one else really has earned it. I love Latrice but her performances have been lack luster. With Manila gone, it's just Trinity and a bunch of also rans. This is not the way I envisioned it play out at all and I'm just kind of... meh about the rest of it. And I actually love Monet, Monique and Naomi, too. I enjoy ALL of them. Season 10 lost a lot of it's sparkle once the Monet and Monique talking heads were gone. They're great but I'm just not convinced that anyone left other than Trinity deserves the crown.

And that's boring.

• Love 4

I'm still peeved about this elimination, so I just came back here to say: the thing is, it's not even like Naomi is a serious contender for the crown, so what did eliminating the best contestant even get her?  If she were someone like Trinity, who actually has a chance at winning this, maybe I'd understand (still shady as hell: but maybe).  But Naomi just gave herself the villain edit for absolutely nothing.  Maybe that's what she was going for?  Shrug.  UGH! 

• Love 3
On 2/5/2019 at 5:25 AM, TheLukeP said:

I don't think Monet threw the sync.  I think that she did a note perfect old school rendition of how the song would have been done.  Emoted the hell out of it and even had a very Judy look on.  I just think that the shady editors/production crew knew that monet would not give them the drama they wanted

Possibly. Or...

Spoiler

...maybe Monet's chosen lipstick will also say, "Manila."

Gooped.thumb.jpg.41a0c068b7eefeba8737734399256b37.jpg

We'll soon see!

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 1