Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/14/2019

buffynut
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I had to go back over it to understand WTF Meghan got so upset about.  

Sunny says the WALL is a dog whistle, not wanting black or brown people in the country.

Abby says 42% of  the country supports the wall - are 42% of Americans racist?

Sunny says it's a good question, Abby says, "I'm asking you?"  Sunny asks "is Donald rump racist?" 

Then Meghan launches into a lecture about identity politics  and not painting people with a broad brush.   Meghan keeps going, on the assumption that someone had SAID 42% of Americans support the wall and are therefore racist.  Joy tries to talk, Meghan isn't letting her be heard. 

WHoopi shuts it down, says everyone is talking at once. 

Joy says "can I make my point?"  WHoopi says - make your point.

Joy  starts to talk, about not focusing on Steve King, but on racism, Meghan cuts her off.  Abby asks if she can make a point, Joy says "I'm not done",  Meghan says, "well you did call  42% of the country, the implication is that they are racist,, republicans in general, which obviously is something that makes Abby and I uncomfortable.   (NO!  JOY DIDN"T SAY THAT!)  

Joy has to yell her point, which is that repubs need to check the platform, not the person.  

THAT is what prompted Meghan to yell "I am JOHN MCCAIN"S DAUGHTER! I am not someone who sits here and is OK with racism!!!"   

Meghan takes the simple statement that building a wall to keep Mexicans out has racist implications, and does a classic "straw man argument."  She draws a false conclusion about what "the other side"  is saying, and refutes that instead of refuting what they actually said.   

To illustrate her faulty logic (because I really don't feel like doing my work): 

You  say the wall is racist, therefore anyone supporting the wall is racist, therefore all republicans are racist, therefore I am racist.  I'm a republican, I'm not racist, therefore you are wrong, and the wall is not racist!   

she needs to go back to college and take a class in logic.

Well said, tinker bell. 

Very insightful analysis.  Thank you.   

I wish over on the panel would say that.  

Hell, I wish any one of us on this forum was on that panel, cuz you guys are eons ahead of that whole group in being better informed and clear, concise speakers. 

Oh, I hated/loathed SNL Dan calling, Jane Curtain, "You ignorant slut." (I know Dan was acting). Such blatant  misogyny was never funny to me, and I refrain from calling women or men, bitches or pussys, or c****, or sny female -oriented term as an insult. 

Even, MM.

I prefer to focus on MM's specific (usually idiotic) behavior. And I hate her with a  passion . 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

The show was a mess today.

I wish Whoopi would aim her sarcasm towards MM instead of Sunny.

MM should be beyond embarrassed for slamming the table and proclaiming she's John McCain's daughter 🤣🤣🤣. I loved Joy saying she's her father's daughter 😆. 

Meghan just talk over everyone so they dont get a chance. No,no, dont have a nuanced conversation about race in the Republican party.  Just focus on Steve King. That will really open the conversation.  

Abby asking if sunny thought the people for the wall are racist.  Stfu Abby. Sunny said she didn't know. Why keep asking. Abby couldn't answer the Same about Trump,  so why keep asking Sunny about Trump's base? If I was Sunny I would have pulled out the joke. I dont know if Trump supporters are racist, but if you're a Racist you're probably a Trump supporter.  Lol. 

I cant remember who first told the joke but makes me laugh.

I would have loved her to paraphrase Andrew Gillum - I don't know if they're racists, but I do know the racists think they are.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, WonderWuman73 said:

Today’s show was giving me anxiety. I was too busy rolling my eyes and talking back to my tv. Im kinda hoping the second taping I’m attending tomorrow is toned down.  I will do a full report when I get back  on tomorrow’s show if anything happens. 

We'll all be waiting with bated breath!!

• Love 12
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

People of color are very likely not listening to the same stations as white people are.  That is her point. To think that everyone in America would or should know Sweet Caroline is an example of ethnocentricity.  This is not aimed at you, Debbie-I am just saying that this is the point that Sunny was trying to make.

Maybe, like me, they're just totally grossed out that Neil Diamond claims he was inspired by seeing a picture of Caroline Kennedy on a horse, with her parents in the background.  Considering Caroline's father was assassinated just shy of her sixth birthday, he's claiming a romantic love song was inspired by a pre-pubescent child.  Never looked at is the same.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

People of color are very likely not listening to the same stations as white people are.  That is her point. To think that everyone in America would or should know Sweet Caroline is an example of ethnocentricity.  This is not aimed at you, Debbie-I am just saying that this is the point that Sunny was trying to make.

It is very ethnocentric of Sunny to never have heard of Sweet Caroline. You would have had to only associate with people of color to have never heard that song before. And even then it would be really hard to not know that song.  Was she that sheltered growing up and never ventured out to explore the mos populous culture of    the country in which she lives. Also, isn’t Sunny’s mom white?

Edited by PeterBrady
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Maybe, like me, they're just totally grossed out that Neil Diamond claims he was inspired by seeing a picture of Caroline Kennedy on a horse, with her parents in the background.  Considering Caroline's father was assassinated just shy of her sixth birthday, he's claiming a romantic love song was inspired by a pre-pubescent child.  Never looked at is the same.

I heard that it was about Neil's wife at the time,  but Caroline was not her name,  but it sounded better for the song. 

• Love 6

CULTURAL?  CULTURAL?   I need to correct Sunny on her excuse that she was unaware of the "cultural" participation (Bah, Bah, Bah or So good! So good! So good!) involved in a song she'd also never heard of, "Sweet Caroline."   Sunny was born in 1968.  Neil Diamond wrote and recorded that song in 1969.  He probably had to sing the song for the remaining decades of his life--all venues.  It was one of his top hits.  Audiences everywhere ... all colors, all ages, other countries...got in on the fun of yelling out the "So Goods," at the concerts.  I can understand that she didn't attend his concerts.  SURELY she heard that song on the radio--even subliminally.  Cover bands play is in bars all over the U.S., complete with the"Bahs," "So Goods."  So, the only way it was "cultural," was in American culture...but her explanation fell flat--at least here in Arizona (aka Middle America).

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

It is very ethnocentric of Sunny to never have heard of Sweet Caroline. You would have had to only associate with people of color to have never heard that song before. And even then it would be really hard to not know that song.  Was she that sheltered growing up and never ventured out to explore other people’s culture?  

I listened to Black radio for a summer in my 20's, during the 70's. I'm white.

I was bored with same old songs on my other radio station (s).  It was fun and an eye/ear opener.  Never heard many if those songs before.  

It's called white privilege or the white backpack, when we white folks take for granted that white culture is ALL culture, and everything  we see/hear/experience is assumed to be universal. Check it out online.  

I remember a black friend/coworker was surprised that I knew the words to several songs by black artists, (REMEMBER that sad song,   Patches?),   cuz we were able to  listen to the radio when we worked on Saturday, just us in the room.  The other days, the rest of our 12 or so co-workers were white (and older),  so no radio . 

I also listened to country music for a period. Then,  classical, jazz, NPR, etc.  Just to broaden my horizons and bordom with top 40 (white) music.

I didn't go to alot of sports events, until my son started playing ice hockey.  I first heard a crowd do Sweet Caroline at a small rink in Windsor, Colorado.  And I was 45 years old.  

• Love 23
14 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I heard that it was about Neil's wife at the time,  but Caroline was not her name,  but it sounded better for the song. 

That's his story as of 2014, I imagine after everyone was creeped out about being inspired by a little girl.

• Love 5

JFC Megan is so disgusting. She has to ALWAYS make it about HER. And her connection to her father. WTH was up with her take on the GIlette commercial? I mean really - is she that dense? The ad was beautiful for what it was. Where were they dissing military? I guess I missed that. Were they dissing gun owners? Missed that too. Of course she had to hate it. And of course she had to say something negative about Obama. Because. Daughter of John McCain (DoJM). I really really really need them to not renew her contract and get a better adjusted woman to represent the conservative point of view. Megan DoJM McCain is not entertaining. I'm not really a fan of Abby either BUT - at least she can remain composed. I don't mind an opposing view. But I do mind a moron like DoJM. 

Edited by BodhiGurl
typo
  • Love 21
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I have to say I was surprised that Sunny had never heard of Sweet Caroline when she got to college.  Really?  It's such an iconic song.

I’m white and Sunny’s age and while I do do know that, song hate it with a passion. Especially since the college kids took it and added that bum bum bum to it. And the so good throws me over the edge. I can totally see her not knowing it. People our age learned it from our parents in the first run, mine thankfully didn’t play it, so I really don’t see a Hispanic/ black family playing it in the hi-fi 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I was really, really interested in the Abby/Sunny discussion on the nature of the Trump Republicans. 

I was as well.. and that's why I wish Meghan wasn't on the panel because I think Abby is capable of having a mature discussion about these issues without getting overly hysterical like Meghan does.  And I was kind of happy that Abby asked Sunny the question because it's a question that I would have asked Sunny myself.  In fact, I would have asked Sunny if there were talk of crime on the border between the US and Canada... and there was talk of a wall possibly being built there.. would Sunny still cry racism, or would she support the wall.. or cite another reason why the wall shouldn't be built?  

It's also another reason why I don't mind when Whoopi checks Sunny because sometimes Sunny needs it.. just wish Whoopi would check Meghan more often.

• Love 1
Just now, JAYJAY1979 said:

I was as well.. and that's why I wish Meghan wasn't on the panel because I think Abby is capable of having a mature discussion about these issues without getting overly hysterical like Meghan does. 

I must say ... (where have I heard THAT before?).  I must say that Abby's coaching seems to be coming along just fine.  She has become very argumentative and she doesn't care who she argues with (with whom she argues, I know, I know).  She hasn't started in on Meghan yet, but her classes have really just started.  I think she has edged to hysteria a couple of times.

3 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

It's also another reason why I don't mind when Whoopi checks Sunny because sometimes Sunny needs it.. just wish Whoopi would check Meghan more often.

I think it's probably 20:1 where Meghan needs it more often than Sunny.

• Love 10

Meghan has two gears when it comes to subjects:  complete know it all (typically courtesy of his husband's blue cards or growing up as John McCain's daughter on the campaign trail and living in middle America, Arizona) or doesn't give one iota about it and won't shut up about how SHE HAS NEVER BEEN PREGNANT or DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS!  

Her complete misunderstand of toxic masculinity would be funny if it wasn't so sad that there are so many people out there like her with this faulty belief.  It does a disservice to men and women.

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I’m white and Sunny’s age and while I do do know that, song hate it with a passion.

My kids are too (white/age)and they've known the song all their lives.   I think Neil Diamond began to hate it when it became that "iconic" audience-join-in.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Oh and meaghan yelling at the audience again is unacceptable. 

She screeched these sentences in (almost) one breath, trying to be the loudest while interrupting everyone...he pontificates:

• I think I have made myself QUITE clear.
  • I think I have made myself EXPLICITLY clear.
  • I have said this MANY TIMES.
Edited by HaaCHOO
moved a parenthesis
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Oh, I hated/loathed SNL Dan calling, Jane Curtain, "You ignorant slut." (I know Dan was acting). Such blatant  misogyny was never funny to me, and I refrain from calling women or men, bitches or pussys, or c****, or sny female -oriented term as an insult. 

Even, MM.

I prefer to focus on MM's specific (usually idiotic) behavior. And I hate her with a  passion . 

Yes! Thank you. I always hated that, too. I think Jane Curtain also hated it.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Oh, do journalists accuse ALL women of screeching and hysteria, Meh-Gun? Do they? Somebody kinda sensitive about that. 

I really appreciate that the other women are working hard to keep Meh-Gun focused on the topics at hand.

Well, if we weren't sure whether she reads the comments, tweets, and message boards, this for dang sure was confirmation. 

Meghan, just in case you decided to stop by for some bedtime reading...

giphy.gif

• Love 17
7 hours ago, OnTime said:

Oh, I so agree!! Very disappointed.

I also don't know why Sunny had to wear the shirt with the year the sorority was founded.  They say they decide on the topics in their "morning meeting", so she sure got that shirt fast enough to wear on the air! It really was a waste of time.

Today was Founders Day. Pretty much every AKA I know, including myself, wore something to commemorate it. Her wearing the sweater had nothing to do with Hot Topics.

• Love 21
9 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I believe the word "screeching" pushed her special button. 

She doesn't realize that nobody accuses all women of screeching, just the ones who screech.  She's the only screecher on the View.

56 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Annoyed by Meghan, my mother asked why she didn't join the military if she's in a military family.

Or major in Political Science and History History instead of Art History.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Guys Guys Guys...did you all know that Abbey's father is a big wig ambassador in Russia? 

When I read this, I imagined him wearing really big wigs, like Marie Antoinette style. Ok, I'll show myself out. 

• Love 15

I was a freshman in high school and Sweet Caroline was on the radio so often that I quickly tired of it and would turn the channel; I never sang it or learned all the words.  It becomes positively sickening if he was expressing his “admiration” for Miss Kennedy with lyrics like these:

"Hands, touching hands
Reaching out, touching me, touching you …

Look at the night and it don't seem so lonely

We filled it up with only two ...

How can I hurt when I'm holding you."

Was he wishing that he was Caroline's pony?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Abby should have asked Meghan. She is person who portrays herself to be the expert on Trump's base. Because you know she saw MAGA hat wearing people at a gas station somewhere.

This is such a great encapsulation of why I hate when Meghan pretends to be an expert on how people in the middle of the country feel. If she actually lived among the people she claims to speak for, and not in the privileged bubble she actually lives in, she would know that there's nothing monolithic about "Middle America's" political beliefs or culture.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

MM proclaiming she's John McCain's daughter 🤣🤣🤣. I loved Joy saying she's her father's daughter 😆. 

That was so, so funny.  That's why I love Joy so much.  I literally laughed out loud when she let that one out. 

On a different note, Sunny looked especially gorgeous today.   

• Love 15
On 1/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, PeterBrady said:

It is very ethnocentric of Sunny to never have heard of Sweet Caroline. You would have had to only associate with people of color to have never heard that song before. And even then it would be really hard to not know that song.  Was she that sheltered growing up and never ventured out to explore the mos populous culture of    the country in which she lives. Also, isn’t Sunny’s mom white?

😂😂😂 really?  Latin people who's parents might not speak English do have a tendency to live in a very closed community.  Nothing strange about that. So sunny did not know sweet caroline,  how many white kids know spanish /Latin songs? This country is not one race. But of course its up to brown children to know some certain song not the other way around. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, rollacoaster said:
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

“I am John McCain’s daughter,” McCain yelled, bristling with rage. “I am not someone who sits here and is okay with racism.”

McCain’s father voted against establishing Martin Luther King Day as a federal holiday and also voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1990." 

Can somebody tweet this to Meh-Gun?

and at the same time, tell her that Arizona in not in the middle of the country!

• Love 15
8 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I have to say I was surprised that Sunny had never heard of Sweet Caroline when she got to college.  Really?  It's such an iconic song.

I'm not sure why people are saying Sunny had never heard Sweet Caroline on the radio. 

I don't think Sunny said she had never heard the song.  She wasn't familiar with it, and wasn't familiar with people singing along with the refrain at certain events,  like baseball games.   Sunny was trying to make a point, but, as she tweeted, she wasn't allowed to finish.  

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 15
46 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I don't think Sunny said she had never heard the song.

Sunny said, "I never heard of Sweet Caroline. I never heard that."   Maybe she had heard it...in the original form, but didn't pay much attention.   The college-party atmosphere and group participation made her think she had never heard it...or of it. 

19 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Good grief - I think Sunny led a sheltered life when growing up and went to college early. Can't understand why this is a big deal.

It isn't a big deal, but the song has been around all her life.  I bet her school classmates (all levels...all colors) know every word of it.

I loved someone finally--FINALLY!--zinging Meghan for constantly mentioning her father, and Joy did it in excellent fashion, too. Even Abby was laughing. No doubt she was screamed at by her BFF during the commercial break.

Monday's show: ho-hum, who cares.

That emerald outfit Joy was wearing Monday was nice but made me think of Christmas decorations with Joy's hair color; Sunny's hair looked great today; Meghan's black-and-white blouse made her look like a fat, old spider in its web. Points to her for at least dressing accurate to her personality, because she spends everyday of this show doing nothing but spewing poison at everyone, the audience included.

• Love 12

From TODAY ~ October 2016  Was the TODAY plaza cold on Monday morning? According to the thermometer it should have been — but with Neil Diamond on hand and singing the classic "Sweet Caroline," things couldn't have been warmer.  But guess what? Despite the widely-held belief that the 1969 hit is about Caroline Kennedy (daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy), Diamond explained that's only partly true.  He knew of the young Miss Kennedy, but said, "I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name. The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."  Enter "Caroline"!   

(I felt embarrassed that such a good guy had some pretty sick things hinted about him here.)

Here ya go, Tosia!

6 hours ago, Tosia said:

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny is Puerto Rican and often refers to herself as Afro-Latina, a mixture of African, Spanish and Native.  It is quite possible a woman raised in a strict Catholic Puerto Rican household had not heard a song by the age of 18 that came out a year before she’s born...LOL.  The great thing about America is that there is not one singular American experience.  

I absolutely agree, but I believe Sunny's mother is Puerto Rican and her father is African-American.  Sunny has made it clear she embraces her Latin and African-American roots, making her anything but "ethnocentric" as the post you were replying to claimed.  I'm white as can be and could not care less if POC know Neil Diamond songs.

• Love 15
57 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

From TODAY ~ October 2016  Was the TODAY plaza cold on Monday morning? According to the thermometer it should have been — but with Neil Diamond on hand and singing the classic "Sweet Caroline," things couldn't have been warmer.  But guess what? Despite the widely-held belief that the 1969 hit is about Caroline Kennedy (daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy), Diamond explained that's only partly true.  He knew of the young Miss Kennedy, but said, "I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name. The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."  Enter "Caroline"!   

(I felt embarrassed that such a good guy had some pretty sick things hinted about him here.)

Here ya go, Tosia!

Lol.  I haven't hinted any sick things about his inspiration.  I've read his direct quotes, published in 2007 by the AP.  He never mentions his wife or the need for a three syllable name.  This will be my last post on this topic.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/20/AR2007112000598_pf.html

• Love 4
8 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

This is such a great encapsulation of why I hate when Meghan pretends to be an expert on how people in the middle of the country feel. If she actually lived among the people she claims to speak for, and not in the privileged bubble she actually lives in, she would know that there's nothing monolithic about "Middle America's" political beliefs or culture.

But that's what it says on her blue cards!  SHE'S JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER, DAMMIT!

8 hours ago, deirdra said:

Caroline's pony

My new garage band name.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Haleth said:

But that's what it says on her blue cards!  SHE'S JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER, DAMMIT!

I wish someone would put total jibberish on her blue cards and see how long it takes her to realize it's jibberish.  And yes I know she spouts jibberish every day.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

😂😂😂 really?  Latin people who's parents might not speak English do have a tendency to live in a very closed community.  Nothing strang about that. So sunny did not know sweet caroline,  how many white kids know spanish /Latin songs? This country is not one race. But of course its up to brown children to know some certain song not the other way around. 

I love everything about this post!  And I’m the white chick upthread who didn’t know the song and still hates it. My parents were “rat packers”. :)

• Love 9
16 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And just because "all the men" in your family are/were in the military, does not mean you were.  Her comment about the men in her family being military, followed by "we shoot guns", implies she's both a man, and served in the military.  She's so weird when she assumes skills/experience/service that others in her family actually performed.  You didn't sacrifice Meghan - they did.  

True.   There was nothing stopping NutMeg from joining the military, like her father, grandfather and brothers did.  Someone at the table should mention that to her one of these days, since she's so fond of using that topic to brag on herself and make her points. 

• Love 22