Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: All Stars Goes Global

• Start Topic

Did I see Christian Borle? Now I can’t wait - though he appears to be in his Willy Wonka costume & I hate Willy Wonka. (Disclaimer: didn’t see the Broadway show, only the Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp movies.)

A more complete cast list

Speaking of this season's batch of contestants, let's get into who which Project Runway winners will vie for the title of Project Runway All Stars: Winners Editionvictor. From the U.S. edition of the design competition reality series, we have Season 6’s Irina Shabayeva, Seth Aaron Henderson of Season 3, Anya Ayoung-Chee of Season 9, Season 11’s Michelle Lesniak, Season 13’s Sean Kelly, All Stars Season 2’s Anthony Ryan, and Dmitry Sholokhov of Season 10 and All Stars Season 4. Will Dmitry go for the three-peat? Can't wait to find out.

The representatives from the international versions are Juli Grbac of Project Runway Australia Season 1, Project Runway Australia Season 4’s Christina Exie, Project Runway Brazil Season 1’s Cynthia Hayashi, Django Steenbakker of Project Runway Netherlands Season 1, Jasper Garvida of Project Runway U.K. Season 3, Project Runway Canada Season 1’s Evan Biddell, and Project Runway Canada Season 2’sSunny Fong.

• Love 1

And she admitted she hasn't sewn since Season 9.  That said, I liked her garment.  I love flowy, floaty things.

I love seeing Dmitry again.  Michelle is bitchy about everyone else's looks.  She can go anytime.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 22
2 minutes ago, susannot said:

And she admitted she hasn't sewn since Season 9.

I love seeing Dmitry again.  Michelle is bitchy about everyone else's looks.  She can go anytime.

I almost decided not to watch when I saw her. One of my least favorite contestants ever. And those glasses…seriously?

• Love 18

Oh my gosh just looking for a few seconds reminded me what a joke Anya's  season was. And then the first thing I see her say is she hope she doesn't have to sew? Then I really got sick because I turned back at the end and her dress wasn't awful like I thought it would be and in fact I was surprised they awarded the win to Dimitri whose look was like a garbage bag with a belt tied around it that was cut out with some paint on the sleeves.

I was extremely underwhelmed by what I saw

• Love 7

Anyone know how long ago this was filmed?  I mean, JCPenney would never have been a GREAT sponsor but it’s really all been downhill.  They sponsored the season Ashley whoever won, were there any others?

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

Obviously everyone wanted to send Anthony Ryan home but Isaac still has his crush.  That was one seriously ugly outfit.

And he had the sad story.

• Love 3

A fake-out! Get rid of Anya; she still cannot sew! 

Did the "gorgeous Georgina Chapman" lose about 30 pounds? It's not just in her stretched-thin and razor-sharp jawline and cheekbones (which the cameraman could not get enough of); it's also how you can see practically every ridge of her esophagus!

I didn't like so much the Little Red Rooster or Dudley Do-right looks; sorry,  judges!

Dmitry's Chic Belarus dress was lovely! 

ETA: catrice2, The judges took into account (I presume) that velvet is difficult to work with; thus, the (impeccable) cut-outs were impressive as well as flirty. Also,  the sleeves and bottom had embroidery; they weren't "painted on." 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

And WTF with just randomly having two contestants who didn’t have to do the first challenge? What kind of twist is that? Were their planes late??

Shown in the previews so spoilering:

Spoiler

It also looked like there was a shot of Mondo in the previews.  I hope he's only there as a guest consultant and they're not planning to add contestants throughout the season.  Even if I liked him ( which I don't) it doesn't seem fair that some designers get free passes on any of the challenges.  The first one I guess is ok since no one went home, but it better stop there!

On someone else, I might be okay with Michelle's personal aesthetic, but her personality is so bitchy, I have a hard time looking at her.  I also hope she goes sooner rather than later.  I didn't even remember that she won a season.  I must have blocked it out!  If tonight is any indication, she's going to skate by on mediocre designs just like I feel she did in her previous appearances.

On the positive side, I like Dimitri, Irina was surprisingly more palatable and some of the global contestants seem talented and intriguing.  I may be alone on this, but I really liked Cynthia's!  I'm certainly no fashion expert (clearly), but I liked the asymmetrical placement of her ruffles.  Also looking forward to seeing more from Evan and the original Australian contestant.

• Love 12

How was georgina? Nicer this season? And lennie shes looked scary skinny for a while now. I saw some pictures at cannes where you could see her ribs! Hate to speculate but anorexia or bulimia? 

1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

And WTF with just randomly having two contestants who didn’t have to do the first challenge? What kind of twist is that? Were their planes late??

Right?! That was exactly my reaction. And the way it was done... like the two who came out were some kind of badass designers that the others should fear. What did I miss?

On another note... It seemed like the designers from the other countries were nicer and more humble than the ones who won the U.S. version.

Loved the winning dress... Has Dimitry had a little work done to his face? He looks a little different.

• Love 9

I thought Dmitry’s was dowdy. The embroidery was not fresh. I usually like his stuff a lot. 

The ivory asymmetric ruffle dress was very pretty, but the fused fabric was a bad choice. Too heavy and upholstery-like. 

I loved the RCMP outfit. I would have removed the epaulets and all but the top gold button. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

A fake-out! Get rid of Anya; she still cannot sew! 

Did the "gorgeous Georgina Chapman" lose about 30 pounds? It's not just in her stretched-thin and razor-sharp jawline and cheekbones (which the cameraman could not get enough of); it's also how you can see practically every ridge of her esophagus!

I didn't like so much the Little Red Rooster or Dudley Do-right looks; sorry,  judges!

Dmitry's Chic Belarus dress was lovely! 

ETA: catrice2, The judges took into account (I presume) that velvet is difficult to work with; thus, the (impeccable) cut-outs were impressive as well as flirty. Also,  the sleeves and bottom had embroidery; they weren't "painted on." 

obviously you liked the dress, I did not. Clearly I realized that it was not painted on I said it looked like it but thanks for that.  velvet or not still looked like a garbage bag to me but it's not like he had much competition when you look at a rooster  and someone who looks like they're auditioning for a job as an usher or working at the circus.

everyone has different taste. I didn't like any of the dresses tonight

• Love 1

I wasn't a fan of how this was judged nor how it was shown to the audience. There was no clear mention of the origin of each outfit to the judges that I saw and it was not put on screen during the runways. For some, the dresses looked pretty nice, but did they have any real connection to the origin? I certainly didn't think so for a few and I was surprised that didn't seem to be critiqued at all. It's like it was used just to get the ridiculous 23 & Me product placement in there without it being too awkward, but they didn't care about it otherwise.

And clearly there are almost no Anya fans here, but I thought she was at a distinct disadvantage in this challenge, at least compared to her US PR competition. Execution aside, Anya used her country as inspiration regularly throughout her entire season, so I didn't see a way for her dress not to look like what we've seen from her before. I don't think she's long for this competition anyway, but it felt to me like Alyssa's going to be on the warpath to nix her as soon as possible. 

• Love 6

Wtf? I thought PS all stars was gone for good. What kind of low rent Weinsteinian necromancy is this? Did they film any seasons of the actually good spinoff, PR Junior before it all tanked? I take umbrage that none of the Fab gay final 3 from my favorite PS Australia season were invited. I think I'll pass.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Alyssa either made nice with her stylist or found a new one. She looked great!

Plus she no longer speaks in a breathy baby voice to go with her babyish dresses.   Seems like she's gotten out from under someone's thumb.

• Love 3

Could the impossible have really happened? Alyssa actually looked good this week, in both her outfits!

I had forgotten Georgina was going to be on the show, I can’t remember, was this filmed before, during, or after the scandal happened?

I can’t believe Anya still can’t sew, & I’m happy to see Dimitry again. Do you think Michele was sitting around one day & thought “You know, I’m just not ugly enough, I should fix that.” & that’s how she got her current look?

It’s too early for me to pick a favorite yet, but I thought Dimitry winning was a good choice. They must have planned the no elimination thing because of the 2 additional designers which probably saved them from having to eliminate someone sobbing over their recently dead grandmother.

I tried to find the winning dress on JCP.com, but couldn’t.

• Love 15

Nice to see Alyssa looking attractive again.

Anthony Ryan can leave anytime -- oh, that's right, he can't because he has a sob story.   One that seemed to really bother him only after it became evident he had shit to show for his time in the workroom.

Debra Hot Messing.  The weight, the foundation caked over a bad complexion, the severe hairstyle.  

Michelle?   wtf?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, 40Love said:

Loved the winning dress... Has Dimitry had a little work done to his face? He looks a little different.

I noticed this too and it made me sad. I thought he was so handsome in the earlier seasons, and now he seems to be going the Courtney Cox route. If they're temporary fillers, I hope they settle a bit as this season goes on.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Alyssa either made nice with her stylist or found a new one. She looked great!

And Iris Apfel as a judge! Squee!!

Was it my high def TV or was she sweating?  They all looked so shiny and I could see the smears of makeup.  The lighting was harsh. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Anya back on my screen making the EXACT SAME fucking dress/jumpsuit she made for every single challenge in her season. 

Why do they continue to bend over backward not to eliminate her? She is a one note. I always felt they gave her the win because she was different from the rest of the contestants by being from the Caribbean. But her clothes were so boring and poorly made. And after 9 years she has proven that she's incapable of coming up with anything else. Send her packing. 

I love the Canadian guy, but I could see why Dimitri's dress won. I also really liked Seth's. 

• Love 16

Also hoping Dmitry's face settles soon - I still adore him! So glad he won. The judging was weird, as usual. (The mounty look and the red rooster outfit top three? Wtf!) I shouted at my TV when they kept both boring Anya and annoying Anthony Ryan.

Juli Grbac is really good and I hope gives my darling Dmitry a run for his money. I'd love him to win the whole thing again.

• Love 4

Michelle, Anya and Anthony Ryan - no thank you. Michelle did a good job with her design, but its so obvious that those 3 are reality tv fame whores, always playing to the camera, especially compared to the international crowd. Based on the first challenge, Anya's designs have not evolved an iota since season 9. And spare me the emotional baggage of Anthony Ryan - I'm sorry if he really lost a family member, but the crying to the camera is such a recurring thing on this show, I can't take it anymore. I'm also not sure whether I believe he really has Native American ancestry tbh.

Dimitri and Seth Aaron are really confident but at least they have the chops to back up their bragging. Not surprised Dimitri won seeing as the winning design was going to be produced by JC Penny - its easier and cheaper to do than any of the others.

I remember Irinia from an ealier All Stars season (?) where she was pretty annoying, but in this episode she was ok, more like in her original season where she also did some voluminous top-heavy things iirc.

I love the international crowd, its really refreshing to see them bring different ideas and styles. Jasper's prom dress was a bit disappointing, but the rest did very well. I hope they can keep it up. Cynthia's design was a bit oatmeal but I thought the styling of the model was great.

No idea why they added two additional designers after the first challenge and those ancestry testing kits are as reliable as astronomy or tarot cards. But the way they were shoe horned into the episode was so hilariously bad, it was almost entertaining.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Dimitri and Seth Aaron are really confident but at least they have the cops to back up their bragging. 

Maybe they're afraid they'll be stabbed in the back, so need protection?  ;-)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

And clearly there are almost no Anya fans here, but I thought she was at a distinct disadvantage in this challenge, at least compared to her US PR competition. Execution aside, Anya used her country as inspiration regularly throughout her entire season, so I didn't see a way for her dress not to look like what we've seen from her before. I don't think she's long for this competition anyway, but it felt to me like Alyssa's going to be on the warpath to nix her as soon as possible. 

I disagree about her using her country’s fashion as an inspiration, let alone it being a disadvantage. Most people in Trinidad and Tobago are of East Indian or West African descent. Those provide a huge variety of clothing styles. Instead Anya designs the same sundresses and jumpsuits over and over again: the kind of thing a tourist would wear when visiting Trinidad, not something based on her background. 

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I noticed this too and it made me sad. I thought he was so handsome in the earlier seasons, and now he seems to be going the Courtney Cox route. If they're temporary fillers, I hope they settle a bit as this season goes on.

I just thought he's been eating more.

5 hours ago, Lemons said:

Was it my high def TV or was she sweating?  They all looked so shiny and I could see the smears of makeup.  The lighting was harsh. 

Debra Messing was fanning herself with her judges' notes.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

It's like it was used just to get the ridiculous 23 & Me product placement in there without it being too awkward, but they didn't care about it otherwise.

That did come out of nowhere, but it led to Dmitry being astonished to learn he's part Native American.  Snort!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, millennium said:

Anthony Ryan can leave anytime -- oh, that's right, he can't because he has a sob story.

IMHO for someone of his age, losing a grandparent is not exactly a tragic surprise. So it doesn't even rise to the level of "sob story."

10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

the (impeccable) cut-outs were impressive

how did he do that?

• Love 3

And... of course, Anya's back. And she can't sew. And the judgery thinks she has a "good eye." 

Get her off my screen. I too, noticed Mondo. They are both still unforgiven for that shitshow that was "Under the Gunn."

The Nederlander is intriguing. I certainly hope the international sewtestants get a fair shot. K plz thnks?

Has Anthony's skin always been so bad? He looked like he'd been the victim of massive sunburn.

The minute I saw Dimitry's sketch, with the knowledge the JC Penney was to produce the winning garment, I knew he'd win. This is my judging criteria for the season. Makes sense, doesn't it?

And...no elimination? Hopefully, they'll be two next week. Just get rid of Anya. Soon.

I also think my teevee boyfriend, Dimitry, has gotten some fillers. And gained weight. It's okay, Hon. You still have that voice. 

• Love 9