Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Someone mentioned how annoying Molly’s voice is now and compared it to the Kardashians! I was trying to figure out who else did  that annoying dragging out of words like Molly ! It’s definitely Kardashian like !!! Ugh !

• Love 2
22 hours ago, orangekit said:

Also, Eddie Jackson who is an ex football player was a judge on the old Big Bake and way better than Kardea  and Molly ! 

Eddie is still a judge on that, along with Harry Eastwood and Ron Ben Israel (most of the time).

• Love 4

The creativity and artistry of this group is pretty astounding. Most of those pies were pretty amazing!

ETA: I call BS on Dennis not getting an advantage, but the worst in the preheat getting an advantage

Edited by Insert Username
  • Love 17

I don't like flipping the preheat win, and having the bottom contestant pick a flavor first. 

Dennis's dessert looked amazing, and the others looked good too.  

Molly's clothes are usually kind of cute to me, but tonight's top looks like an afghan from the 70's.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't like flipping the preheat win, and having the bottom contestant pick a flavor first. 

Dennis's dessert looked amazing, and the others looked good too.  

Molly's clothes are usually kind of cute to me, but tonight's top looks like an afghan from the 70's.   

Or a potholder, seriously though,  it wasn't that bad. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

I didn't understand the preheat. The challenge was to reimagine an upside down cake and nearly all of them made....... an upside down cake. Dennis should have been able to switch his flavor if he wanted. I'm liking all the guys, guessing one of them wins. And I have to root for Kim since she's from my state.

• Love 7

I'm sorry I just can't with this new host.  I'm so sick of her exaggerated faces!

They've made the show about her and not the bakers like the guys did.

I hope we're not stuck with her in the future shows.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I'm sorry I just can't with this new host.  I'm so sick of her exaggerated faces!

She was awful tonight.  Somehow TPTB at Food Network have got to know that the feedback on Molly is NO MORE.  I can’t believe I’m saying this but she makes me want to punch her in the face — metaphorically, of course ;)  It’s bad when you’re watching by yourself and you say “SHUT UP” out loud to a character on TV.  The right person went home, but Shaleesa was a close 2nd to depart.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

I'll finish watching this season because I like some of the contestants enough to watch how they do, but I will not watch another season if they keep Molly.  She has to be front and center all the time and takes up too much of the bakers' time with "cute" questions and comments, all of which sound totally scripted.  And we have to look at her idiotic expressions all.the.time.  Big clown grins and acting out her reactions to everything.

Incidentally, I could certainly do without Nancy.  There is not one single episode in which she doesn't say "I'm not getting the coconut (cinnamon, whatever)" or "It doesn't look Spring  or Holiday or whatever".

• Love 18

This is really the first episode of this season I've watched all the way through, and yeah, yikes.

The new host is terrible. I don't know that her twee way of speaking reminds me of anyone in particular, but it's annoying as hell, along with the over the top emoting. Is she such a big deal that they had to add her to the title? Ugh. 

And what is up with the hand /arm gestures? So distracting.

I miss Jesse, or even Ali.

The pies were beautiful and I did love the beach pie, and Dennis' pie decor.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

This is really the first episode of this season I've watched all the way through, and yeah, yikes.

The new host is terrible. I don't know that her twee way of speaking reminds me of anyone in particular, but it's annoying as hell, along with the over the top emoting. Is she such a big deal that they had to add her to the title? Ugh. 

And what is up with the hand /arm gestures? So distracting.

I miss Jesse, or even Ali.

The pies were beautiful and I did love the beach pie, and Dennis' pie decor.

Yes, at least the pies were lovely. 

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I didn't understand the preheat. The challenge was to reimagine an upside down cake and nearly all of them made....... an upside down cake. Dennis should have been able to switch his flavor if he wanted. I'm liking all the guys, guessing one of them wins. And I have to root for Kim since she's from my state.

Justin was the only one who did something different with it. But, yes, why  have Dennis win and then he gets no advantage? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I like Molly.  Jesse, who was always dressed as some crazy character and even a Christmas tree, used to go to each station and ask questions, as did all the rest of the hosts, IIRC, so she's not doing anything new, or differently.  And I recall several of the female bakers flirting with him.  Bobby Deen was too, ah, regional for my taste.  I liked Clinton Kelly, but found Ali too loud and over the top.  I think Molly's nature is to smile - she does it on her Girl Meets Farm show as well. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I like Molly.  Jesse, who was always dressed as some crazy character and even a Christmas tree, used to go to each station and ask questions, as did all the rest of the hosts, IIRC, so she's not doing anything new, or differently.  And I recall several of the female bakers flirting with him.  Bobby Deen was too, ah, regional for my taste.  I liked Clinton Kelly, but found Ali too loud and over the top.  I think Molly's nature is to smile - she does it on her Girl Meets Farm show as well. 

I find Molly has settled down some, but I wonder how much of that is editing. She doesn't seem to be in as many shots as the first episode. I noticed right before tasting she told the judges "My challenge for the bakers". Did the other hosts say this? I don't remember. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I find Molly has settled down some, but I wonder how much of that is editing. She doesn't seem to be in as many shots as the first episode. I noticed right before tasting she told the judges "My challenge for the bakers". Did the other hosts say this? I don't remember. 

No, because her name is part of the show title now.  

11 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

She was awful tonight.  Somehow TPTB at Food Network have got to know that the feedback on Molly is NO MORE.  I can’t believe I’m saying this but she makes me want to punch her in the face — metaphorically, of course ;)  It’s bad when you’re watching by yourself and you say “SHUT UP” out loud to a character on TV.  The right person went home, but Shaleesa was a close 2nd to depart.  

I have more dislike for Nancy than Molly, and that's who I yell "SHUT UP" at.  Although you are way nicer than I usually am 😏

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Since I came of age in the 70's when my fashion sense was born, that top was totally within my wheelhouse 😂

• Love 8

I doubt Jesse will be returning, since apparently he is now the new host of The Bachelor.  Sweet upward move for him!

I'm so confused.  Last week I got the Molly Yee show but not the Easter show.  This week I got the Easter show but not the Molly show.  

This show plainly sucks this year .  It’s all about Molly and some exploiting drama every week, rather than the baking .

Did she contribute ideas like the childish ribbons to the show ?  

It seems like they are trying to make this show more of a reality show with drama every week , rewarding bakers  for being a part of the drama , and also judging which is not all about the baking .

Last week it was Jaleesa’s anxiety attack , so she ends up winning . This week Dennis comes out to sappy Molly , so he wins ! Gee , how obvious can FN be?

Last werk when they paired up, Molly picks the partners , so of course , Jaleesa gets a very good  baker, Carolyn , so she is sure to win ! So we had the Jaleesa hour with her big comeback assisted by the show to make sure she won ! In the past the baker who won the heat would choose partners for everyone , but now they wanted to help the outcome out , so they basically fixed the outcome so they could justify the anxiety attack comeback episode.

This week Dennis comes out to dipshit Molly, someone he barely knows while taping a show ?  Sorry , but it seemed a bit staged , unless Dennis caught onto the fact that drama = winning !    He was ok , but sorry , other bakers  were better than his , but they couldn’t let courageous Dennis leave without winning ! Ugh

I notice that Romy and Diego are just concerned about their baking and Molly barely even talks to them . They also happened to be two of the best compared to drama boy Tom , but they don’t get a lot of credit or wins since they are not flashy or good for the plot of the week !

Kardea is just awful too ! I do like her cooking show , but she’s obnoxious and is so biased toward Jaleesa!  Jaleesa ended up In the bottom two , but Kardea nearly jumped off of her chair to say how wonderful her pie was !

I hate to say it , but this show seems more like a bad reality show and also seems Be focused on plots and “stars” who are not necessarily there to bake and win on their merit .

In contrast , the other show with Sunny was way better and the Big Bake is also way better ! The host stays out of the way and the bakers share their stories but they are not putting on a theater performance to win ! Eddie is so much better than Molly. Too bad they don’t hire him next time to host !

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, MsMalin said:

Who comes out on a national baking show, lol?  I think the show is now mode about personalities than baking. I come for the baking, not the people.

I thought the same thing -- this is a huge step for him and coming out on TV on a baking show really seemed to, I don't know, cheapen the importance of the moment.  Maybe it was exactly how Dennis wanted to do it and if that is the case, great.  To this viewer, it really felt manipulated to be "a moment" for the cameras on a baking show.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, MsMalin said:

Who comes out on a national baking show, lol?  I think the show is now mode about personalities than baking. I come for the baking, not the people.

And don't forget, Tom told us he is a drag queen. The segment was some kind of big reveals. Who cares? Just bake. I noticed on the Julia Child show, the one contestant, mentioned his husband taking him to Paris when they were dating.... it tied in to the actual dish he was making. It didn't feel gratuitous. 

17 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I thought the same thing -- this is a huge step for him and coming out on TV on a baking show really seemed to, I don't know, cheapen the importance of the moment.  Maybe it was exactly how Dennis wanted to do it and if that is the case, great.  To this viewer, it really felt manipulated to be "a moment" for the cameras on a baking show.  

Again, it felt gratuitous. Gay, not gay, drag queen, not drag queen.... whatever... just bake and things like that can come out when they do and not feel staged. 

Did any of the other contestants have some "big reveal" on a level like Dennis? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Exactly ! Many bakers have revealed they are gay  by just stating they have a partner of the same sex, like Diego said he shares bakery with his husband .  That was relevant to the fact he is a baker .  Or even if they used to do the camera interview segments they would talk about their personal life as it related to being on the show .

This just seemed contrived and odd ! And it doesn’t help that Molly looked like she was going to pee her pants because she was so shocked that Diego shared a bakery with his husband ! Really ? What is shocking about a couple owning a bakery !   Or to mention her over the top sappy , bordering on patronizing g Dennis when he said he was gay !

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 9

I totally agree about the drama and the text that this feels like a staged “reality” show at times! I don’t believe this is all spontaneous anymore .  Things now feel as fake as Molly! This week appeared to be LGBTQ week !  I think  it’s great to have the diversity, but the drag queen and gay seemed a bit staged to occur at the right time for the plot of the evening, not like previous seasons when the contestants all just shared their stories without a sappy host acting fake about what they were saying !

Speaking of diversity , I am glad it’s not an all straight , white cast , and bakers with different races, nationalities and sexual orientations are represented, but it seems like now they go out of their way sure  not to have any white , straight males, or bakers who are not what is considered part of a minority population.  It just seems like they are spending most of the time focusing on making social statements about everything but the actual baking, and  it’s getting lame ! 

• Love 5

Still hate that Molly's name is part of the show title, that it's her "barn," etc, but she's good with the bakers when she walks around. I especially liked how she was with Tom's drag queen reveal and Dennis' coming out. I don't know if he planned it or it was just something he felt in the moment. I appreciate Molly's response. 

Still want a Duff, Kardea, Lorraine panel. Or almost anyone but Nancy. Some strong bakers left. I have favorites based on personality but at this point, they're all brining it enough that I think there are frontrunners, but it's a pleasure to see what they're producing and unless someone really biffs it a few times, I feel like I'll be good with any winner. 

• Love 2

Still can’t stand Molly and her asking contestants if she can visit them at home. Seems so fake. Also thought the coming out to Molly scene seemed awkward especially with her feeling ‘honored’. The bakes this week looked tasty though. I don’t mind Nancy at all and Duff and Kardea say the same things she does but don’t get dinged for it. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, marmalade said:

I totally agree about the drama and the text that this feels like a staged “reality” show at times!

The focus has definitely drifted away from baking to tell-alls about the baker's and their lives.  I don't give a good goddamn about any of them, I don't care about their private lives or who they live with or what sob story they have to share or what beloved nana they are baking for.  Just show me some skills and interesting desserts.  Period.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
39 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

The focus has definitely drifted away from baking to tell-alls about the baker's and their lives.  I don't give a good goddamn about any of them, I don't care about their private lives or who they live with or what sob story they have to share or what beloved nana they are baking for.  Just show me some skills and interesting desserts.  Period.

I don't mind a background story. Maybe they should do it like GBBO. They show a short clip of the bakers family and home or something about who they bake for. It is straight forward and not showy. KInd of like "John Smith is from Manchester where he loves to bake for his wife/husband etc..... " and then they show them enjoying some baked product and/or taking a walk, playing with a pet. No drama. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 22

I agree with folks saying the editing bias toward Dennis was pretty apparent this week. My guess is they got new editors and producers on this show and that's how the new folks want to craft the story for this show.

I realize all reality shows are fake, but don't insult my intelligence by throwing your contrivances in my face.

I really like the contestants this season. Everything else, not so much.

I've seen other reality shows where contestants come out publicly during the show, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The contestants are away from their friends and family and are in a completely different environment so they can be themselves with no expectations or biases. It also helps they're around other LGBTQIA folks so it's probably a very supportive, inclusive environment. This gives the contestant the opportunity to see what living out would be like, and surprise, most people like being themselves and not who other people expect them to be. 

• Love 8

If they would’ve let the bakers know before the preheat challenge, that the lowest would get an advantage, that could’ve been interesting game play. Do you screw up just to pick? I doubt any would do that on purpose. The advantages are helpful sometimes but other times, eh. 

Clinton has been my favorite host of this show. I was not a fan of Jesse his first season but he got better and loosened up. I could’ve done without the feeding by Nancy but that’s more on them and the Food Network HR department. If they were my coworkers I’d be like, do I have to watch this? Really?  (Fwiw I also watch Bachelor. Jesse did ok. His tone sometimes doesn’t match the appropriate emotion. But I think that’s just nerves. ) I remember Jesse being kinda robotic and weird the first season of SBC too. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Refresh said:

If they would’ve let the bakers know before the preheat challenge, that the lowest would get an advantage, that could’ve been interesting game play. Do you screw up just to pick? I doubt any would do that on purpose. The advantages are helpful sometimes but other times, eh. 

That would have been interesting with people making cakes that should have be on Nailed It. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I thought Molly was a skosh less ☀️MOLLY☀️ this episode. Not like she was given a much needed elephant tranquilizer or anything, but at least the editing did not focus quite so much on her. 

So, what's surprising about you? -- I'm gay and my family doesn't know, so I am choosing this 20 second conversation on episode 4 of a baking show to come out! It's just a tad awkward. It seems a moment to say something like: I can juggle! or I hate chocolate! 

I'm sure the producers encouraged David to have this "TV moment," but it did seem very contrived and lacked the weight and emotion that such a moment deserves. (i.e., Mondo revealing his HIV status on Project Runway.) This seemed almost as much about Molly's reaction as David's revelation. 

• Love 19
On 3/21/2022 at 9:09 PM, NYGirl said:

I so agree,  she is just obnoxious!  I am having a hard time paying attention to the show this round,  I have it on while I am doing other things,  she is just too much.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, jrzy said:

I am having a hard time paying attention to the show this round,  I have it on while I am doing other things,  she is just too much.

Honestly, even if they took her away I would still have a hard time paying attention.  There is something very lacking with this mess.

• Love 8
On 3/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, Frost said:

Did I miss the dramatic twist for the final bake?  I'm not that invested in this go 'round so I wasn't paying close attention.

I do not believe they did this episode. And I honestly can't remember if they had one last episode. Maybe that's one benefit of Molly and/or the new production team, no twists. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I can not handle any woman who talks baby talk, has that Kardashian way of dragging out words , is fake smiling , or is overly sappy or dramatic  with their expressions or reactions , and Molly has all of these characteristics!

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 13

I'm curious to know how far Romy will go in this competition. His decorating skills are absolutely amazing; Nancy was right when she said that his pie was magazine-cover worthy. So gorgeous. I feel like French pastry chefs never do as well on these shows, though; their training and preferred flavor profiles are probably just different than what we're used to. A couple weeks ago Duff criticized one of Romy's dishes for not being sweet enough, and I was wondering if it's just that French desserts use sugar differently than American. I know that Duff is trained in pastry so he probably knows that too, but after tasting so many American-trained pastry chefs' desserts, I imagine that a French one would be a bit of a jolt. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Iseut said:

I'm curious to know how far Romy will go in this competition. His decorating skills are absolutely amazing; Nancy was right when she said that his pie was magazine-cover worthy. So gorgeous. I feel like French pastry chefs never do as well on these shows, though; their training and preferred flavor profiles are probably just different than what we're used to. A couple weeks ago Duff criticized one of Romy's dishes for not being sweet enough, and I was wondering if it's just that French desserts use sugar differently than American. I know that Duff is trained in pastry so he probably knows that too, but after tasting so many American-trained pastry chefs' desserts, I imagine that a French one would be a bit of a jolt. 

Interesting. I actually prefer desserts that are not too sweet. I think it is the German in me. My dad was the same way. I always assumed that French desserts were sweeter in general but maybe not. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Interesting. I actually prefer desserts that are not too sweet. I think it is the German in me. My dad was the same way. I always assumed that French desserts were sweeter in general but maybe not. 

My guess is that American desserts are just another level of magnitude sweeter, even if there is variation within other countries' baking traditions. 

• Love 3
On 3/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, MerBearHou said:

Oh, believe me, I noticed both of those -- AND macaroon instead of macaron.  

I hope I’m responding in correct thread since I’m watching both Spring Baking Championship Original Recipe AND Easter at same time … but the baker in Top 5 on Easter who talked about making MACAROONS eleventy-mazillion times in two minutes had me so gobsmacked I actually came to this thread to see if it was just me. They looked like lovely macarons though. 

• Love 13
19 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Oh joy, I get to share this again!

Even the judge mispronounced it.

image.jpeg.d980c9cdd190631122e74d33af9ce32e.jpeg

Thank you!!!! I admit when I rewatched and the judge said a kind of mumbled version of macaroons I really doubted myself (but not enough to edit my post lol) … 

Especially since Passover is right around the corner so actual macaroons are on every supermarket shelf! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I just binge half-watched season 2-7 of the Spring Baking Championship while working on a project. The first season wasn't available for some reason.

Most of the seasons were okay. Season 7 was my least favorite of that bunch; the show started to change in several ways and the chosen contestants likability went down for me. I like to see the cooking, and wish they would just focus on that. Stop the forced drama!  I also hate the fake stories the bakers tell. When someone says they bake a special cake for their family every Sunday, or whatever, I say yeah right. I also get sick of people crying over how much they love their mom, grandmother, father, etc. If my kids were such saps on TV I would be embarrassed.  Real love doesn't need to be shouted out in a self-serving way in a public forum.  JMO

My favorite host was Clinton (he is humble, human, funny, and kind- although his plastic surgery or whatever he had done is weird looking) and my favorite judge was Lorraine (she is adorable, human, smart, and funny- with a great voice, too!).  Both are gone now!  Oh well.  I don't mind Nancy and Duff- none of these judges say much that is helpful to the viewers anyway, but I think Lorraine, Nancy, and Duff were a good team despite all the repetitive shtick.

Now on to this current season, season 8. I watched most of the first episode and my jaw dropped at the idiocy that is Molly. She is so fake!  I smile a lot too and am a good talker, but her patter sounds very scripted and almost desperate in a way.  Why does the show now have her name on it?  Why is she quietly judging the desserts, making faces in approval or disapproval?  I skipped to the 4th episode to see if Molly has changed. She does seem a bit toned down at this point, but I really can't with her.  The show has lost its sparkle for me so I guess I won't be watching it again unless there are big changes in the future.

I had to get this all off my chest- lol!

• Love 18
49 minutes ago, Ms. Me said:

The show has lost its sparkle for me so I guess I won't be watching it again unless there are big changes in the future.

Yes, yes a thousand times yes.  I'm so bored I keep falling asleep.  And when I do manage to stay awake I'm annoyed.  It's time to call it. Bye.

• Love 5
On 3/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, Madding crowd said:

Still can’t stand Molly and her asking contestants if she can visit them at home. Seems so fake. Also thought the coming out to Molly scene seemed awkward especially with her feeling ‘honored’. The bakes this week looked tasty though. I don’t mind Nancy at all and Duff and Kardea say the same things she does but don’t get dinged for it. 

I agree. I like Nancy and don’t understand all the hate. I’m glad not to have to look at Lorraine’s big scary teeth and see her barely taste the baked goods. However, if it came between having Molly on the show or Lorraine, I would pick Lorraine.

• Love 8
On 3/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, ProfCrash said:

Just not feeling this season.

And that just sums it up. 

I went back and watched a few older seasons to see why I am struggling. There was so much less drama; the show had an easy vibe. They would pan to a contestant, who would talk about what they were making, and it would lead to a short clip about their lives. The focus was on making great desserts.  

As I watch this season; I find myself tense and not really enjoying the show. I am on edge about the next time I am going to hear Molly's annoying, grating voice. Or when I am going to be shown her over the top reactions. Why is the focus on Molly when she is interviewing a baker? I want to watch that baker; it allows me to get a better feel for them, but NOOooooo, we are constantly panning over to Molly. I actually enjoy learning a little about the bakers lives, and I didn't mind that Tom divulged his drag queen alter ego. However, I did not appreciate Dennis coming out. There is a time and a place for everything, and I am not watching a baking competition to hear about the contestants sexual preferences; that would be a whole different kind of show. And of course Molly got a hold of it and ran like a mad demon. 

I also didn't like the addition of two random bakers after they had just eliminated two of the originals. I was not over the top with either of their first entries, and the second one by the guy who won was pretty awful. 

Why work your butt off to win the first heat if they are going to give the advantage to the baker who had the worst dessert? 

I don't know anything about Kardea; I had never heard of her or watched her show, but I don't feel like she is jelling with the show or with the other judges. I miss Lorraine. Her big smile and snappy wit, and easy camaraderie with Nancy and Duff. 

I don't like that it is about Molly and her damn barn. 

I hate sprinkles and have already heard enough about them. 

Edited by RuntheTable
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, RuntheTable said:

I don't know anything about Kardea; I had never heard of her or watched her show, but I don't feel like she is jelling with the show or with the other judges. I miss Lorraine. Her big smile and snappy wit, and easy camaraderie with Nancy and Duff. 

Amen to your whole post and I miss Lorraine too.  I liked Kardea the first couple times I saw her on a show but she seems to be turning into Sunny Anderson.  She looks more and more like her and she's getting louder and more demonstrative, running out to hug a baker, favoring Jaleesa and so on.  I'm over her.

• Love 7

The wrong person went home.  I knew they wouldn't send Tom home.  His personality is too big, which counts more than baking skills.  Kim's decoration was unsuccessful, but Tom's cake was dry and his decoration was a mess

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Frost said:

The wrong person went home.  I knew they wouldn't send Tom home.  His personality is too big, which counts more than baking skills.  Kim's decoration was unsuccessful, but Tom's cake was dry and his decoration was a mess

I agree with you.    Kim was done in by the producers idea that being entertaining and screen worthy is more important than well designed product.   I thought this was a decorating contest as well as a baking contest, but apparently it's weighted towards personality.   

• Love 9