Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was sorry to see Carolyn eliminated, and whoever thought fig was a good choice for any contestant should have chosen something else.  Fig??  It's time for Tom to go.  His decorating skills aren't good, and evidently from some of the comments about decoration on this episode that should have really dinged him on the baseballs.  

I really want one (or more) of the contestants to tell Molly to go away, sit down, and shut up.  I remember an episode that Clinton was hosting, and one of the bakers he was talking to was experiencing a stressful moment.  Clinton immediately stopped talking to him, and politely walked away.  Not Molly!  She's going to continue to talk to you like an overindulged child would, and it's  distracting.  These people are trying to win big $$, and it will change their life.  Please put an adult in charge of the room next season, not a kindergartner.   

• Love 19
(edited)
16 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think Duff and Val's jobs are secure. 

OMG can you see dippy , annoying Molly interrupting little kids ?

Most if the 10 year olds are more mature than Molly  on the baking shows ! 

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, alalaxmom said:

Diego looked viscerally angry at the sprinkle twist.  It made me laugh when he swatted at the camera.  He stopped just short of saying "what a joke."

He didn't need to say it verbally, his eyes said it loud enough. And I still think Nancy rolled her eyes when it was announced. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, if she is back next year, I'm not going to watch. The only reason I am still watching this is because I already invested time into Diego, Romy and Justin. And they had better not have her on the Halloween show! 

They are my favs too and the reason.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

She shows up on any other baking championship, I'm done. She would wreck Halloween! 

Sorry to those who like her but she is annoying.  

Right there with you,  I am watching this season but only because I am curious about who wins.  Molly is just so obnoxious, she is a show killer for sure.

• Love 8
(edited)

I wasn't totally put off by the cookie salad. I am down with any combination of berries/fruit and cream, and as long as the cookies are not soggy, I would eat them. Having said that, I still don't think it belongs on this show. Baking two different cookies is not very challenging for bakers of this caliber, and I can only speak for myself, but it certainly isn't what I am tuning in to see. The sprinkles twist had me rolling my eyes so hard I nearly caused seismic activity. 

I guess I will walk out on that branch alone and say that Tom doesn't bother me. He is a bit over the top for sure, but I still find him likable. The thing that sticks with me about Tom is that he is genuinely delighted and is very appreciative when the judges compliment his baking. He may not be the best decorator, but I do think he is a good baker. 

I love Romy and Diego, who I think are by far the most talented of who we have left. And Romy seems like such a sweetheart. He should have one that first heat. 

Was Molly more intrusive than usual in this episode? Hosts should not be allowed to mess with anything on a baker's station. Caroline was so distracted, then Molly turns her timer off. And getting eliminated for a cream element in a baking championship sucks. 

I do not have a problem with change, or keeping things fresh, but I do take exception to them giving Molly a sledgehammer and giving her free reign. FN and their new next big thing have destroyed what was a sweet little show. I do not like any of the changes. Molly's name in the title? NO. Molly's ribbons? NO. Molly's intrusive and insipid interviews with baker's who are trying to win big money and are competing? NO. Molly acting like she is a judge when she is a host? NO. Eliminating two bakers the first week, only to bring in two random, unknown bakers the next week? NO. Having bakers work their butts off to win the first heat, and then give the advantage to the baker that made the worst dessert? NO. 

My heart breaks for Duff; I live in Maryland, and Duff is a God here. I can't imagine what he is thinking. But I am sure he is wondering where the show he has judged for years has gone. 

I have no idea what FN was thinking, or how they think these changes have enhanced the show, but it is a fail on all levels. If Molly and her friggin barn and her silly sprinkles and her cookie salads are back next year, then I am out. 

18 hours ago, Shermie said:

I wonder if Molly might be more suited to host a kids baking show.

And once again NOOOOOooooo!!! I absolutely love the KBC. Those kids are so focused and trying so hard. Molly's inane natter would destroy them. 

Edited by RuntheTable
  • Love 18
(edited)

Diego just seems like he’s trying to stop himself from saying something about tacky American food !  And I wouldn’t blame him or Romny if they were totally snobby and made comments !

Cookie salad is the worst representation of an American dessert !  And no way is it like tiramisu which takes  a long time to make and turns into a cake ! There is a reason tiramisu is on menus all over the world and cookie salad is something not even everyone in Minnesota knows about ! It looked like something a 5 year old would do, or someone who was stoned after smoking lots of weed and had the munchies !

I do think Molly is involved in producing this mess of a show now which is why it’s infantile !

Molly doesn’t care if someone can bake , she just wants to be “friends “! Ugh 

When Duff dared make a comment about Tom’s shitty decorating , Molly made a sad pouty face and had to say his food tasted good  ! WTF is she getting involved in judging ?

Tom should have been gone last week and Dennis should have been gone this week .  But they are Molly’s playmates so they had to stay or she probably would have sat on the floor and had a baby tantrum or cried when they were eliminated to the point they they would have had to call in medics like the did for Jaleesa !

It sure seems like no accident that the drag queen and man  who came out as gay somehow got saved from elimination and the serious,  quieter, better,   bakers with no “story” were eliminated in spite of Tom and Dennis screwing up big time ! 
Also they get to give Tom the win this week when Diego’s dessert was better ! Molly looked like she was going to pee in her pants when she was able to give the childish ribbons to her favorites this week!

She can’t handle someone acting like an adult !

I do think Tom knows he isn’t great and he also thinks Molly is an idiot , but he also knows if she puts on a show  and is theatrical and kisses  up to her he will  be saved ! Dennis just seems too nice to tell Molly to get lost , and he also probably has figured out that if you kiss up to her and share stories  you are more likely to be safe, since Molly obviously is not worried about the actual baking !

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 7
(edited)

If they choose Molly Yeh  to host again next season, I will not watch. She NEVER SHUTS up and her voice is annoying. The show is not about her. No other host has ever talked as much as this one has and I think she is awful.  And the camera keeps focusing on her when she’s stuffing her mouth with food. They never did that with any other host.

And one of the best bakers on the show left this week because of Molly’s choice of a cookie salad. Who the hell ever heard of a cookie salad?  I lived in Minnesota and never once encountered a cookie salad. The whole cast was stunned at who left.

And she distracts the bakers at critical moments. If I were them, I wouldn’t engage. I would give her one word answers so she would GO AWAY.

My favorites were Paula Deen’s son and Jesse.  I thought Clinton did a good job as well.  

Edited by Kid
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Do you all think TPTB read some of these boards? I really hope they do! 

If not, I saw loads of tweets begging Jesse Palmer to come back and they made sure to use the show's hashtag.

• Love 12

The silence after Carolyn's elimination was pretty telling, I thought. When prompted, the bakers acknowledged that they really thought she was one of the ones to beat, and couldn't believe that she got eliminated on a (not said but implied) f*ing cookie salad with f*ing sprinkles. 

I could be projecting, but I'm pretty sure that I'm seeing that most of the bakers genuinely dislike Molly. With the other hosts, the bakers good-naturedly roll their eyes at the twist and might not be super chatty with the hosts when they're trying to get something done, but I feel like they've liked the hosts in general. They laugh at Jesse's dad jokes, banter back and forth with Clinton and John, etc. With Molly it really does seem like they don't connect with her and are just over her antics. It's too bad because they are really talented and deserve the best experience possible once they've made the show.

• Love 20
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The only thing I can say positive about “cookie salad” is that it reminded me of the banana pudding my mother used to make with Nilla Wafers. 😋 

Yeah, if Molly is the host next year, I’m out. Can’t they get John Henson or Ali Khan back?

First of all, I love banana pudding.

Second of all, I read the second paragraph to read "Jim Henson" and I thought to myself - Hey, the Muppet guy would be better than Molly...but probably not since he's dead.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, if she is back next year, I'm not going to watch. The only reason I am still watching this is because I already invested time into Diego, Romy and Justin. And they had better not have her on the Halloween show! 

Precisely why I'm still watching.  If that childish twit Molly is on another season, I will not be watching.  Some of the comments have made me afraid she will turn up on and ruin the Halloween show.  It was bad enough with the Las Vegas museum guy, but Molly would be a bridge too far.

Sprinkles?  Are you fucking kidding me?!!!!

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Iseut said:

The silence after Carolyn's elimination was pretty telling, I thought. When prompted, the bakers acknowledged that they really thought she was one of the ones to beat, and couldn't believe that she got eliminated on a (not said but implied) f*ing cookie salad with f*ing sprinkles. 

I could be projecting, but I'm pretty sure that I'm seeing that most of the bakers genuinely dislike Molly. With the other hosts, the bakers good-naturedly roll their eyes at the twist and might not be super chatty with the hosts when they're trying to get something done, but I feel like they've liked the hosts in general. They laugh at Jesse's dad jokes, banter back and forth with Clinton and John, etc. With Molly it really does seem like they don't connect with her and are just over her antics. It's too bad because they are really talented and deserve the best experience possible once they've made the show.

That certainly went through my head. 

• Love 2

For the Easter show, from the beginning I thought Tatiana was going to win, but Sydney came on super strong the last few eps.  Sydney’s basket, with admittedly a way too high arch, was the best.

And the other girl (Brittany?  I truly can’t remember) should have been disqualified after the first uttering of macaroon.  Even Kathleen, who I thought would surely know better, said it!

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For the Easter show, from the beginning I thought Tatiana was going to win, but Sydney came on super strong the last few eps.  Sydney’s basket, with admittedly a way too high arch, was the best.

And the other girl (Brittany?  I truly can’t remember) should have been disqualified after the first uttering of macaroon.  Even Kathleen, who I thought would surely know better, said it!

That was driving me crazy! Now I listen for it anytime someone mentions them. 

Sydney did peak at the right time. That sash and crown and then the ham were amazing. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
(edited)
54 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

That was driving me crazy! Now I listen for it anytime someone mentions them. 

Sydney did peak at the right time. That sash and crown and then the ham were amazing. 

I accidentally got spoiled here so I already knew who would win before I watched the finale.  But I did think Tatiana's basket (just the basket part) was better (or at least, appealed to me more) and was  potentially more technically challenging.  I can see why she lost, though.  Her display was not 360 degrees the way Sydney's was, and the judges didn't like the cake as much as Sydney's.  This was another gentle show -- the judges were both trying very hard to be complimentary, even when they could have been snarky, the bakers all tried hard and seemed to have bonded with each other -- and any one of the three could have won and I would have been happy.

RE:  the cookie salad.  I think that challenge might have been more palatable earlier in the season and as a Pre-Heat.  Not as a main round challenge.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 10
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I accidentally got spoiled here so I already knew who would win before I watched the finale.  But I did think Tatiana's basket (just the basket part) was better (or at least, appealed to me more) and potentially more technically challenging.  I can see why she lost, though.  Her display was not 360 degrees the way Sydney's was, and the judges didn't like the cake as much as Sydney's.  This was another gentle show -- the judges were both trying very hard to be complimentary, even when they could have been snarky, the bakers all tried hard and seemed to have bonded with each other -- and any one of the three could have won and I would have been happy.

I agree that the bakers bonded and really were nice to each other. This is the way you do something silly (dressing up as bunnies for example) but fun and gentle, not childish. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5

I honestly thought Brittany deserved to win (despite her mangling of the word "macaron" into "macaroon" - she might not could say it but she did bake some beauts!).  I assumed that Tatiana was going to win because I thought she was the judge's favorites and quite honestly I was surprised they gave Sydney the win because I was surprised she made it to final 3, although I did think her basket was beautiful.  Brittany to me was the best baker of the three and rarely had a misstep (pronunciations notwithstanding).  

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I honestly thought Brittany deserved to win (despite her mangling of the word "macaron" into "macaroon" - she might not could say it but she did bake some beauts!).  I assumed that Tatiana was going to win because I thought she was the judge's favorites and quite honestly I was surprised they gave Sydney the win because I was surprised she made it to final 3, although I did think her basket was beautiful.  Brittany to me was the best baker of the three and rarely had a misstep (pronunciations notwithstanding).  

Any of the three could have won. What a talented group! I'm going to miss this show and I'm going to miss the bakers. I got to know them and really like all of them. They had personality but it never felt like an audtion. 

• Love 3

Just watched the episode. Duff looks like he is done with Molly. He said he has never made a cookie salad and it was clear from his reaction to the entire theme that he thought it was stupid.

When the Best Baker in America (or whatever it's name is) introduces the regional dish that the Bakers are suppose to make but with a twist on it. This Cookie Salad was just stupid. My family is from the Midwest. I know plenty of folks from Minnesota and North Dakota and I have never heard of a cookie salad or seen one at an event. I am fine with people liking their jello concoctions and the like, to each their own, but they don't belong on a show like this one. Maybe the Christmas Cookie Bakeoff where the Bakers are expected to make multiple flavor cookies or something.

This was an insult to the Bakers skill and you could see it on all of their faces when they were told about it. The sprinkles twist was pretty much ignored by everyone. And the Judges pretty much mocked the entire mess. None of the Judges looked pleased when Molly told them the theme. And then Duff spent how long bashing the theme with Reme and Diego, for good reason. 

Tom can leave three episodes back. His stuff looks awful and he is trying to be a character too much.

Let's hope Molly is gone and the show finds its way again because this season is bad. The Bakers don't look like they are enjoying themselves, the challenges are underwhelming, and Molly is just annoying.

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Just watched the episode. Duff looks like he is done with Molly. He said he has never made a cookie salad and it was clear from his reaction to the entire theme that he thought it was stupid.

This was an insult to the Bakers skill and you could see it on all of their faces when they were told about it. The sprinkles twist was pretty much ignored by everyone. And the Judges pretty much mocked the entire mess. None of the Judges looked pleased when Molly told them the theme. And then Duff spent how long bashing the theme with Reme and Diego, for good reason. 

Tom can leave three episodes back. His stuff looks awful and he is trying to be a character too much.

Let's hope Molly is gone and the show finds its way again because this season is bad. The Bakers don't look like they are enjoying themselves, the challenges are underwhelming, and Molly is just annoying.

Duff looked insulted as did the most of the bakers. 

No one but Jaleesa put any real effort into making sprinkles. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

The funny thing is that Duff has been defending it on Twitter. I told him it was an abomination.

That is Duff trying to protect the brand.  No way does he let any of us know publicly what he REALLY thinks!!  I'm glad you told him it was an abomination -- he "heard" you and that is huge.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

The funny thing is that Duff has been defending it on Twitter. I told him it was an abomination.

Of course he has to defend it for the sake of the show, but Duff, we saw your reaction! You can't hide it from us. 

Just now, MerBearHou said:

That is Duff trying to protect the brand.  No way does he let any of us know publicly what he REALLY thinks!!  I'm glad you told him it was an abomination -- he "heard" you and that is huge.

The thing is does he pull more weight on the network than Molly? 

6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Of course he has to defend it for the sake of the show, but Duff, we saw your reaction! You can't hide it from us. 

He sure as he11 should! If he doesn't then I am seriously ready to drop the whole network!

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Hated this episode: Ugly bakes. Stupid twist. Too much Molly.

That the show took an extra moment after poor Carolyn left to make it all about Molly and her totally fake baby boo hoo face was particularly galling. 

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Hated this episode: Ugly bakes. Stupid twist. Too much Molly.

That the show took an extra moment after poor Carolyn left to make it all about Molly and her totally fake baby boo hoo face was particularly galling. 

OMG! Yes! No one has mentioned that yet. I just rolled my eyes.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree that the bakers bonded and really were nice to each other. This is the way you do something silly (dressing up as bunnies for example) but fun and gentle, not childish. 

I'm pretty sure Diego, Romy, and probably Justin, would rather make 10 cookie salads than dress up in a bunny costume. 🐰 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I'm pretty sure Diego, Romy, and probably Justin, would rather make 10 cookie salads than dress up in a bunny costume. 🐰 

Who knows, maybe not? The bunny costumes were dumb but they seemed to find it really goofy and were having fun. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Duff has been defending Molly on social media too ! I am thinking that Molly is seeing horrible comments about her and people are including her in their tweets telling FN that she is awful ! She probably is all upset and crying like a kindergartner who is being picked on , so Duff, who seems like a nice guy is defending her ! But, he knows she sucks and so did her cookie salad and stupid sprinkles suck ! He’s way too talented to think she and her childish behavior, awfuL challenges and ribbons are ridiculous !

He is protecting the brand for sure ! And I do think he has more clout than Molly. He is not going to have another cooking show on FN and is a fan favorite , unlike Molly who is ruining her brand with her stupid behavior as a host !

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

YES!  I wanted to puke!!!  🤮

I am not on Twitter so I am glad that people are on Twitter and are expressing their opinion and that Duff is actually seeing the comments.  If I were on Twitter I would be commenting profusely because I was fed up with her in the first episode. Just when I think she can’t get any worse, she does. But those crocodile tears at the end of this last episode put icing on an already rank cake.

• Love 8

Duff knows Molly outside of this show and probably likes her.  I'm guessing she's nowhere near this OTT in real life.  I'm still convinced that a lot of what we're seeing is producer generated.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Duff knows Molly outside of this show and probably likes her.  I'm guessing she's nowhere near this OTT in real life.  I'm still convinced that a lot of what we're seeing is producer generated.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me that they want her to be a type butvthey really aren't doing her or the show any favors. 

• Love 1
On 4/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, dleighg said:

But I felt like throwing something at the TV because she's a baker and DOESN'T KNOW to put circles of parchment paper at the bottom of her cake pans??? Seriously, King Arthur Flour sells those things FOR A PURPOSE!

And was even Stephanie B calling them MACAROONS? Seriously? French "macaroons" have a different name. It's macaron.

Just once I want to see a judge play dumb and say "You said you were making macaROONS! These aren't macaroons, they are macaRONS!  Where's the coconut?"

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Duff is very responsive on Twitter. And it's actually him - you can tell, especially if you post a buffalo picture (he loves them). 

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

Just once I want to see a judge play dumb and say "You said you were making macaROONS! These aren't macaroons, they are macaRONS!  Where's the coconut?"

The more this is mentioned, the more I want macaroons. I haven't had them in ages. So yummy. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Clearly this show is driving most of us bonkers.

@Bastet posted  this tidbit on the Julia Childs Challenge which allows you to to contact FN about shows.  Please make your distaste known!

Go here on the Food Network website to submit feedback.  Choose "Show or Episode" as the reason for contacting....

Select Spring Baking Championship and let them know how you feel!

And if you haven't watched the Julia Childs Challenge, you have missed what these challeges should be. It's a total delight.  

Edited by Cetacean
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
(edited)

Thank you Cetacean for the site to contact FN.  I have poked around trying to find a way to email them, but had no success.  I think they probably don't want to be contacted.  I just sent my comments to them. 

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 3

I thought the sprinkles were an interesting twist. I had no idea how they were made and I loved that Jaleesa actually made sprinkles as opposed to colorful desiccated coconut. Compared to so many twists they've had in the past, this one was fairly innocuous. (Coffee and apple, anyone? That one may have been a different version of this show)

Once I googled cookie salad I immediately texted my friend who lives (and grew up) in North Dakota. She knew about it and laughed and then mentioned a similar abomination called an apple, snickers salad. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2