Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh , I bet Molly’s unprofessional and childish behavior when Carolyn was baking by turning off her timer worried the FN executives !  

This isn’t just a silly competition because the host is childish, it’s for a lot of money !

No host should put their hands on anything in the baker’s area when a baker is trying to compete a task for a competition, unless the baker asks them to do it !

Molly not only is constantly interrupting and distracting bakers , she kept blabbing like a 5 year old trying to get attention , and she turned off a timer which was related to part of a recipe burning .  Carolyn was obviously flustered and messed up the rest of the show .  
FN did not want some lawsuit about how unfairly a contestant was treated .

Actually , Dennis should have been eliminated since his crappy cookie salad didn’t  taste right , but he is Molly’s playmate so he couldn’t go home !

No amount of intimidating people for their opinions will make ratings for up for this crap fest !

I have lost a lot of respect for Duff when I see his insults and mocking posters as if he is in 3rd grade by telling them their face is “unwatchable “ , because they accurately said his little friend Molly is unwatchable on Twitter.

Molly is an immature non baker  , plain and simple . She also has  quite an ego to think she should have a right to interrupt real bakers,  when she is nothing but  wife of a farmer who started  cooking, baking and blogging probably to deal with being in the middle of nowhere with nothing but in-laws and where there are more cows than people ! Her sprinkle obsession and awful challenges are as silly and childish as she is !  

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

Molly is an immature non baker  , plain and simple . She also has  quite an ego to think she should have a right to interrupt real bakers,  when she is nothing but bored wife of a farmer who started  cooking, baking and blogging to deal with being in the middle of nowhere with nothing but in-laws and where there are more cows than people

I don't like Molly as host of the SBC, but I have nothing against her as a human being.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Frost said:

I don't like Molly as host of the SBC, but I have nothing against her as a human being.

I agree. She is not the right "host" for this show. They can give her  her own baking or cooking show that can reflect her farm roots if they want to. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree. She is not the right "host" for this show. They can give her  her own baking or cooking show that can reflect her farm roots if they want to. 

I agree.  Make it a Farmhouse Challenge.  Then she can have the bakers do all the crazy things she does and she keeps her style.  I don't find this to be a Spring Baking Championship this season because of her and all things Molly.

• Love 8

To be completely honest, I am disgusted and just a little bit pissed off that Justin was eliminated. I think all the teams presented flawed desserts. The judges didn't have much good to say about Jaleesa's doughnut; knocking it for taste and decoration, they also didn't like Tom's lemon tart, with Nancy commenting that "Tom could take it with him." Yet, they didn't say Justin's throw together dessert tasted bad; just that the mousse had broken. Right from the outset of judging I knew it would be him or Remy. The comments about their board were not kind, yet I think they had one of the best. I was not at all surprised that Caroline won, given she has been brought back to the show. 

And speaking of that, my feelings are she was brought back because she was eliminated on a bogus baking challenge, that required very little baking skill, and was dinged on a cream element. The "dish" should never have been part of a professional baking challenge in the first place, and I am sure Caroline was not alone in "not feeling it." 

I have tried to avoid the whole favorite thing, but in this episode you could really feel it. I noticed Molly looking at the judges as they tasted the desserts, almost daring them to say anything negative about her favorites. 

It is all so disappointing. I am going to finish this season, but if things are the same next year; I am out. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, RuntheTable said:

I was not at all surprised that Caroline won, given she has been brought back to the show. 

And speaking of that, my feelings are she was brought back because she was eliminated on a bogus baking challenge, that required very little baking skill, and was dinged on a cream element. The "dish" should never have been part of a professional baking challenge in the first place, and I am sure Caroline was not alone in "not feeling it." 

They were not going to bring her back and then eliminate her. They had to make sure she won so they can show that they brought the "right baker" back. 

This season has been a mess, from cookie salads, to favoritism, to why in the heck did they bring in those two guys for nothing? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Frost said:

I don’t know her personally , but as a television personality and what she shares about herself which comes across very goofy and childish .

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

She already has a show which does reflect her farm life . I would hardly call it her “roots”, since she grew up in Illinois, it is her husband’s family farm .

She should not ever host  w competition show , she can’t keep herself out of the competition . 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MyMaui said:

I agree.  Make it a Farmhouse Challenge.  Then she can have the bakers do all the crazy things she does and she keeps her style.  I don't find this to be a Spring Baking Championship this season because of her and all things Molly.

I don’t see Molly being able to host even a farmhouse challenge . She is not able to leave contestants alone , and she can’t be impartial.  Guy Fieri can annoy me , but he can host without interfering with the cooks and he doesn’t show bias .

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

12 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

I don’t know her personally , but as a television personality and what she shares about herself which comes across very goofy and childish .

She already has a show which does reflect her farm life . I would hardly call it her “roots”, since she grew up in Illinois, it is her husband’s family farm .

She should not ever host  w competition show , she can’t keep herself out of the competition . 

I did know she has a show.  My point was give her a competition show with her farmhouse style/life and leave this one alone.

Edited by MyMaui
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

I don’t see Molly being able to host even a farmhouse challenge . She is not able to leave contestants alone , and she can’t be impartial.  Guy Fieri can annoy me , but he can host without interfering with the cooks and he doesn’t show bias .

He sometimes helps them out but tasting something and hinting to  them to how it is or outright saying it is good or to watch the fryer etc.... but no, he doesn't play favorites. At least not on camera. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2
On 4/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, libgirl2 said:

I don't think they realize most of the "younger" generation aren't glued to the FN. My son is 28 and doesn't even turn on his TV unless it is for a video game.

neither of my kids (20-somethings) even have a TV, never mind a cable etc subscription. They watch netflix and stuff (stuff I probably don't even "get") on their computers.

• Love 3
On 4/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, MsMalin said:

I used to really love this show but something is off now. 

Molly Yeh

8 hours ago, Kid said:

Jaleesa should have been gone long ago.

I agree, every week I wonder how she's still in the competition

• Love 15
12 hours ago, Cetacean said:

If I might be so bold, in addition to venting here, everyone should contact FN about this.  No need to be nasty with the comments to them but a firm "no more shenanigans" should get the message across.

Go here on the Food Network website to submit feedback.  Choose "Show or Episode" as the reason for contacting....

Those of us who have watched Molly in her own show have seen the transition into more silliness from the start of her show to the present.  It's too bad as she was really very watchable in the beginning.  And I still do watch as she has some tasty recipes.  HGTV recently did a crossover show where Molly and her husband added on to their (inherited from his grandparents) home to accommodate their growing family.  I thought it was quite nice that she insisted on keeping the kitchen used for the show just as it was with the old fashioned electric stove.  Not all of us have state-of-the-art kitchens so I thought it was a nice touch.

I have not watched the remainder of this series of Spring Baking because we already know that High Drama Tom will win.  And I did write FN about it. At least I felt like I was doing something helpful!

Done! Thank for being so practical and posting the link.

I get riled up and have had my fair share of "wuzzrobbed" moments but rarely am I riled up enough to contact a network about something. The lunacy of this season has pushed me over the edge 😒

• Love 5
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Ah, they broke Justin.

I also thought they might have brought Carolyn back because she (rightfully) complained. But no way are they going to admit Molly screwed up, so hence the "second chances" BS and the tension. (The judges faces during that staged conversation looked about as happy as Justin.) If that's true than not admitting the real reason is a slap in face for Diego, as it implies he was not also worthy of a second chance.

Transparency is always best. On Game Shows when show producers mess up, the MC actually admits the mistake in announcing the return of the eliminated player. This competition is nothing more than a game show with baking. Admitting Molly screwed up makes more sense than not explaining why Diego wasn't brought back instead of Carolyn. Molly asking the judges to bring back one deserving baker implies Diego is lesser skilled than Carolyn. He is not. I like Carolyn. It was just a weird way to bring her back. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, 40Love said:

Transparency is always best. On Game Shows when show producers mess up, the MC actually admits the mistake in announcing the return of the eliminated player. This competition is nothing more than a game show with baking. Admitting Molly screwed up makes more sense than not explaining why Diego wasn't brought back instead of Carolyn. Molly asking the judges to bring back one deserving baker implies Diego is lesser skilled than Carolyn. He is not. I like Carolyn. It was just a weird way to bring her back. 

They obviously have some kind of big plan for Molly, because they have never added any other host's name to the title. So of course, the fact that she screwed up so badly by turning off a baker's timer causing them to be eliminated hurts all their plans, They aren't going to admit what she did, they're just going to breeze by it, correct it, not mention why & hope we don't notice.

• Love 8

This show is just unwatchable and there is no way FN can not see this Molly version of the show is horrible and unpopular! She messed up a baker so probably they had to bring her back to avoid possible legal issues.  But, how is that fair to the other who had a bad day baking , like Diego who was consistently very good ?

What is interesting is that Romy   actually replied with “that’s true”, to a Twitter comment directly to FN that stated that Carolyn was brought back because of angry comments about the stupid cookie salad , and Molly yapping to her to the point that she burned her bacon ., but it was unfair to Diego!

Finally , someone from this mess of a show admits Molly is a problem and the judging is unfair !  Not only is Romy the best baker left , he actually seems to not be a crappy baker like Tom , Dennis and Jaleesa who repeatedly  kiss up to Molly or use their personal lives to stay on the show !

I do not understand why FN didn’t step in and take control of Molly’s obnoxious behavior while taping this mess of a competition .  They had to see she was interfering with the actual  competition by distracting the bakers , and it could lead to problems .  They also could have vetoed her ridiculous baking ideas !   I do not get how Duff thinks this wasn’t a joke . He’s a very accomplished pastry chef .  How did they allow Molly to destroy this show  week after week while taping ? Did they have her sign a contract stating that it is now her show ?

I do not think Molly is suited to host any show unless she is given very little input and also given a script ! She is awful ,  they need to keep a Molly in her renovated farm house  and stop her from ruining good baking competitions. And even if they controlled her amount of influence , her voice , mannerisms and stupid expressions are so weird and childish . .

Kardea also is ridiculous and needs to go, she can not be fair at all with her judging . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, orangekit said:

This show is just unwatchable and there is no way FN can not see this Molly version of the show is horrible and unpopular! She messed up a baker so probably they had to bring her back to avoid possible legal issues.  But, how is that fair to the other who had a bad day baking , like Diego who was consistently very good ?

What is interesting is that Romy   actually replied with “that’s true”, to a Twitter comment directly to FN that stated that Carolyn was brought back because of angry comments about the stupid cookie salad , and Molly yapping to her to the point that she burned her bacon ., but it was unfair to Diego!

Finally , someone from this mess of a show admits Molly is a problem and the judging is unfair !  Not only is Romy the best baker left , he actually seems to not be a crappy baker like Tom , Dennis and Jaleesa who repeatedly  kiss up to Molly or use their personal lives to stay on the show !

I do not understand why FN didn’t step in and take control of Molly’s obnoxious behavior while taping this mess of a competition .  They had to see she was interfering with the actual  competition by distracting the bakers , and it could lead to problems .  They also could have vetoed her ridiculous baking ideas !   I do not get how Duff thinks this wasn’t a joke . He’s a very accomplished pastry chef .  How did they allow Molly to destroy this show  week after week while taping ? Did they have her sign a contract stating that it is now her show ?

I do not think Molly is suited to host any show unless she is given very little input and also given a script ! She is awful ,  they need to keep a Molly in her renovated farm house  and stop her from ruining good baking competitions. And even if they controlled her amount of influence , her voice , mannerisms and stupid expressions are so weird and childish . .

Kardea also is ridiculous and needs to go, she can not be fair at all with her judging . 

Diego was consistently better than Carolyn. If not the bacon fiasco, perhaps they asked him to come back and he said no? But I lean towards, oops Molly made a mistake and we need to make it up to the baker. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, orangekit said:

This show is just unwatchable and there is no way FN can not see this Molly version of the show is horrible and unpopular!

If they are not told, they may not know.  There is power in providing feedback.  If enough people complain they might listen.  Bitching and moaning here does nothing.

Go here on the Food Network website to submit feedback.  Choose "Show or Episode" as the reason for contacting....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

If they are not told, they may not know.  There is power in providing feedback.  If enough people complain they might listen.  Bitching and moaning here does nothing.

I have, twice. 

• Love 2
On 4/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, Maya said:

I like Carolyn and I’m glad she’s back. That said - WTF?? They just bring her back with no explanation whatsoever? 

I don’t know if Justin had severe stage fright or what, but he always seemed so miserable. I felt bad for him every time he was on camera. 

Oh but she did explain: Molly told us she, all by herself, decided it was time for a "rebirth". Yeah Molly. Just ask her -- she'll tell you all about everything she is doing for and on the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, orangekit said:

I do not get how Duff thinks this wasn’t a joke . He’s a very accomplished pastry chef .

Duff hasn’t been the same since he had a kid.

6 hours ago, orangekit said:

I do not understand why FN didn’t step in and take control of Molly’s obnoxious behavior while taping this mess of a competition .  They had to see she was interfering with the actual  competition by distracting the bakers , and it could lead to problems .  They also could have vetoed her ridiculous baking ideas !  

I personally think they encouraged it.  The behavior is supposed to be cute and folksy and instead is coming across as juvenile and over the top.  Clearly Molly worked with the producers because we know that her cookie salad is a "thing" -- she also made that popcorn salad that got press a couple of years ago.  Never forget that FN is in the business of making money, not food.  If Molly got attention in the press, it translates to butts in seats for them.  Little did they know how badly it would backfire.  Then again, we're a small subsample here -- maybe there are people who do like her.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I personally think they encouraged it.  The behavior is supposed to be cute and folksy and instead is coming across as juvenile and over the top.  Clearly Molly worked with the producers because we know that her cookie salad is a "thing" -- she also made that popcorn salad that got press a couple of years ago.  Never forget that FN is in the business of making money, not food.  If Molly got attention in the press, it translates to butts in seats for them.  Little did they know how badly it would backfire.  Then again, we're a small subsample here -- maybe there are people who do like her.

I do too. I think this is just what they were hoping for cute and folksy, but it seems to have backfired some. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Then again, we're a small subsample here -- maybe there are people who do like her.

Judging from comments I've seen on Facebook and Instagram, MANY are quite vocal that they do not like Molly and are very unhappy about what the once-fun show has changed into this particular season.  It's 95% dislike; maybe 5% like.  All of the same reasons we've voiced here.  On Twitter, Duff has snarked back at several who complained about Molly.  Not a good thing to do, Duff.  

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Judging from comments I've seen on Facebook and Instagram, MANY are quite vocal that they do not like Molly and are very unhappy about what the once-fun show has changed into this particular season.  It's 95% dislike; maybe 5% like.  All of the same reasons we've voiced here.  On Twitter, Duff has snarked back at several who complained about Molly.  Not a good thing to do, Duff.  

There is another board that I go to and the opinion is pretty much the same as here. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, jshaik said:

I'm new here but Jaleesa made a brownie and Tom made a feather decoration for the brownie! How did she stay over Justin? 

Just look at the "host" and you will know why. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I wanted to say thank you for the link to Food network! I just sent an email expressing my frustration and disappointment with this iteration of the show. 

On a completely different note, I was not sure how I felt about Carolyn returning, but I thought if she got another chance, that poor contestant a few seasons back who had to create a desert with the awful combination of coffee and green apple should have been afforded another chance! I hate when one contestant ends up with such an extreme disadvantage, it is unfair and is not really putting them on an equal footing (like the GBBO). Actually I wish they would just get rid of the twist altogether.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

I wanted to say thank you for the link to Food network! I just sent an email expressing my frustration and disappointment with this iteration of the show. 

On a completely different note, I was not sure how I felt about Carolyn returning, but I thought if she got another chance, that poor contestant a few seasons back who had to create a desert with the awful combination of coffee and green apple should have been afforded another chance! I hate when one contestant ends up with such an extreme disadvantage, it is unfair and is not really putting them on an equal footing (like the GBBO). Actually I wish they would just get rid of the twist altogether.

Or at least have it all be the same twist, for example everyone has to use coffee and green apple. 

• Love 13
21 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

We could still be a small minority.  There are probably thousands to millions who watch the show -- typically, the number who frequent boards and actually complain could be small, relatively speaking.  We'll have to wait and see what FN does with this next year. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

We could still be a small minority.  There are probably thousands to millions who watch the show -- typically, the number who frequent boards and actually complain could be small, relatively speaking.  We'll have to wait and see what FN does with this next year. 

I understand that the ratings are down though.  That should count with FN.

• Love 6
On 4/20/2022 at 11:20 PM, GaT said:

They obviously have some kind of big plan for Molly, because they have never added any other host's name to the title. 

I wouldn't conclude a causal relationship there. The credit in the title is almost always something an agent would negotiate for (possibly in lieu of more money). If it were FN's idea from a marketing standpoint, you may be right, but it's just as likely - if not more likely - it's something that came out of the negotiation to get her to do the show in the first place, and -again- probably not her personally but her agent.

16 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

Google this to see more reviews from another site.

molly yeh reviews on spring baking championship

Wow.  Those are bad reviews.  And they so echo what we say here.  FN, I hope you're listening.

• Love 6
On 4/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, TomGirl said:

Google this to see more reviews from another site.

molly yeh reviews on spring baking championship

It's really telling that even the people who gave the show 4 and 5 star reviews commented they they did NOT like Molly.  I hope it gets through to FN how much they screwed up.

• Love 4
On 4/19/2022 at 6:36 AM, libgirl2 said:

No, Molly you screwed up Carolyn! I'm glad I missed most of this mess. I hope if Romy doesn't win, it will be Carolyn. And then we can put this mess of a show (and hopefully Molly) behind us. Spring my ass, more like farm. 

Playing catch up, just watched Justin  be sent packing.  Seriously?  Guess they felt they had to reward Carolyn but not sending Tom home....Sorry, it's obvious FOM's are going to be going forward to the final round & no doubt the win.  I'm totally disgusted and out......

ETA...Duff, totally lost all respect for you; you've obviously lost any integrity you had.

Edited by String Theory
  • Love 5
On 4/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, jshaik said:

I'm new here but Jaleesa made a brownie and Tom made a feather decoration for the brownie! How did she stay over Justin? 

Spoiler

I have seen tonight's episode.  Final four = Jaleesa, Carolyn, Romy, Dennis

I think Jalessa should have gone home over Tom.

I'm glad Carolyn's back.  I could watch her bake all day.

I sent away for some of Justin's signature chocolate based on just watching him on this show.  Not cheap (at all) but completely worth it!

• Love 5

I'm a regular, long time watcher of FN challenges (favorites are still the cake challenges hosted by Keegan and judged by Kerry, and usually won by Bronwyn, lol). I'd never heard of this Molly girl before this season. I totally don't get how she hosts any show, but I'm not usually in the majority group think anyway. Whoever she is, she's ruined this show for me, and I have no doubt of her hand in these often ridiculous challenges (cookie "salad"? For an adult baking challenge? Really?). And she should not also be a judge as well as host. I need to see this through to support the contestants, but if this Molly is back for another challenge, I won't be able to stomach it. Did FN hire a new programming director or something? 

They saved JALEESA!  What a joke.  I am not a Tom fan, but his was a failure of decoration.  Jaleesa screwed up both the cheesecake and the decoration. Stupid stupid stupid.

Why on earth did Tom make a mirror glaze and then cover it up with buttercream spaghetti?

• Love 23

I'm so over this show and you-know-who, I only tune in for the last couple of minutes, and I can't believe they kicked Tom out.      Especially since they kept Jaleesa over him.   So, Carolyn, Dennis, Jaleesa, and Romy fight it out next week.    I'm not sure I care anymore. 

• Love 3

Romy’s cheesecake was absolutely beautiful.  He’s truly a fabulous baker.  Tom screwed himself with the decoration.  It looked like a middle schooler baked it, and the spaghetti looking topping really messed up the whole thing.  Carolyn’s was also very pretty.  Jaleesa has always been protected despite having questionable talent.

Kardea needs to go. She’s just too much.  Molly’s voice, among many things, bugs the crap out of me.  Can you believe she had a room in her new house that’s decorated with things that look like sprinkles?  And who told her that Pippi Longstocking hair is fashionable?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Can you believe she had a room in her new house that’s decorated with things that look like sprinkles?

Actually, it's just tile in the daughter's bathroom.  And it's not as hideous as it sounds, mostly it's small white square tiles with some colored tiles interspersed on the bathtub wall.  It's very innocuous.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

And who told her that Pippi Longstocking hair is fashionable?

The first thing I thought of when I saw her was Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz - the dress and the braids.  Whoever did her make-up way over did it.  She looked awful.

Jaleesa should have been eliminated weeks ago.  I don't understand how an underbaked, somewhat messy cheesecake deserved to stay over Tom's cake which just had decorating flaws.

Molly spent far too much time talking to Carolyn.  Was that supposed to assure viewers that everything between them is now okey-dokey?

Carolyn's white decoration on her white cake was lovely but I thought the pears looked grim.  

• Love 9

Tom, Dennis and Jaleesa all should have been gone in previous weeks.  Diego should be there and the final three should be Diego, Romy and  Carolyn . 
Molly’s BFF’s all have repeatedly screwed up .  
since they brought Carolyn back , they should have eliminated two people tonight .

WTF Is with Nancy apologizing to Tom about being eliminated? Makes me wonder if Kardea whined and pushed to keep Jaleesa so Nancy was not happy with the decision. . 

Molly and Kardea both need to go ! They both are ridiculous and biased .  I think as much as Duff pretends he is ok with Molly , he knows this season is a disaster. He is way too much of a talented baker and smart man to not see this is ridiculous !

Speaking of ridiculous , that comment about Molly being a Disney character on drugs l seems  like a perfect description!  Her outfit  and behavior seems  like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz got into some magic  mushrooms on the way to see the wizard !

• Love 12
On 4/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, goldenpuppy said:

Molly is an immature non baker  , plain and simple . She also has  quite an ego to think she should have a right to interrupt real bakers,  when she is nothing but  wife of a farmer who started  cooking, baking and blogging probably to deal with being in the middle of nowhere with nothing but in-laws and where there are more cows than people !

Molly is a terrible host of this show, but I don’t appreciate the description of her as “nothing but the wife of a farmer”. Plus living in the middle of nowhere where there are more cows than people. Please. Farmers are not a bunch of remote hicks who don’t know how to interact with the world. They shop at Target and Amazon, and go to movies and plays, and listen to rock or classical or country music, etc. etc. just like everyone else. Enough with insulting stereotypes.

That said, Tom is gone. Wow, I thought he’d be saved as Molly’s favourite, but his creativity was always terrible. I’m more lenient towards Jaleesa since she did have some great bakes at the beginning; I think she panics with a deadline and could do better work with more time. 

Carolyn and Romy have been consistent all along, other than the occasional blip. Both are my favourites. It helps that they have very pleasing personalities.

• Love 16