Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, CrazyDog said:

I tried to watch again. I turned it off.

I can't stand her weird arm and hand gestures. I feel mean saying that, but I can't. I'm sure she's a nice person, but...no.

Props to the guy who said they don't have "cookie salads" (wtf) because they have real salads. 

Call me when literally anyone else is hosting.

That was Diego. Their salads are much better in Italy! 😀

• Love 7
(edited)

“I don’t want to see someone go home for decorating.”  - that’s part of the competition.  She should’ve just said “I don’t want Tom to go home.”  Ugh, cannot stand Molly.

I also don’t like that Jaleesa is clearly Kardea’s favorite to the point nothing she does is deemed negative.

ETA: Molly is so proud of this idiotic cookie salad challenge that I’m embarrassed for her.  She’s acting like a preschool teacher.  What’s next?  A diorama of a Minnesota Christmas where you have to use pretzel sticks to make Santa?

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • LOL 2
  • Love 20

"Oh my God, you guys!  We are now the Spring Baking Championship with Molly Yeh and Velveeta!  Squee!  Clapping for myself!  I'm soooo excited!  Now every dessert will have the elegant Velveeta taste added to all dishes!  Next week's challenge will involve marshmallow fluff, Doritos, and our sponsor's elevated cheese product!"

The sacrilege of this season...

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

The Easter show was good, since my favorite won!

There were two things I really enjoyed about the regular show:

1: Watching pretty much everyone laugh in Molly's face about how stupid the whole idea was, plus her pride and excitement about it. Just because you have to make a lot of elements and put them together doesn't mean what you're putting in all that effort for is a good idea. Good on the bakers for making more of it than what Molly showed (and could probably create. 

2: Seeing ads for Stephanie Boswell's new show. That's not saying much for this show, but I like her and will be happy to watch! 

Blech. I'll probably see it to the end, because there are still bakers I like, but if they bring this or any competition back with Molly involved, not even starting it.     

• Love 11
(edited)

Omg, I thought Molly was going to wet her pants, she got so excited over announcing the cookie salad.  I'm someone who doesn't particularly like cream/custard (although I like sour cream and yogurt, so go figure), so the whole thing was unappealing to begin with.  But then add in her over the top reactions to it, and Nancy's stupid conducting the orchestra thing...it all just about finished me!  I could feel myself sneering (an expression I rarely make) the entire time.  Good lord, FN, wasn't anyone else available to host this??  Jason, who I can't stand?  Giada?  Rachel Ray?.... 😏 Ugh.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Darian said:

But I felt like throwing something at the TV because she's a baker and DOESN'T KNOW to put circles of parchment paper at the bottom of her cake pans??? Seriously, King Arthur Flour sells those things FOR A PURPOSE!

And was even Stephanie B calling them MACAROONS? Seriously? French "macaroons" have a different name. It's macaron.

• Love 5

So for those of you who were confused about the name "Cookie Salad" let me explain the naming convention for Minnesota potlucks. There are two categories of composed dishes, hot dish and salad. This is how we end up with jello salad and cookie salad. I admit that I have never tasted, seen, or heard of a cookie salad, but its seems like it would fit the tradition.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Omg, I thought Molly was going to wet her pants, she got so excited over announcing the cookie salad.  I'm someone who doesn't particularly like cream/custard (although I like sour cream and yogurt, so go figure), so the whole thing was unappealing to begin with.  But then add in her over the top reactions to it, and Nancy's stupid conducting the orchestra thing...it all just about finished me!  I could feel myself sneering (an expression I rarely make) the entire time.  Good lord, FN, wasn't anyone else available to host this??  Jason, who I can't stand?  Giada?  Rachel Ray?....Ugh.

Ree and Eddie were charming on the Christmas Cookies show. 

I actually would take Jason over Molly. Not Rachel Ray the yelling banshee though!

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Darian said:

There were two things I really enjoyed about the regular show:

1: Watching pretty much everyone laugh in Molly's face about how stupid the whole idea was, plus her pride and excitement about it. Just because you have to make a lot of elements and put them together doesn't mean what you're putting in all that effort for is a good idea. Good on the bakers for making more of it than what Molly showed (and could probably create. 

2: Seeing ads for Stephanie Boswell's new show. That's not saying much for this show, but I like her and will be happy to watch! 

Blech. I'll probably see it to the end, because there are still bakers I like, but if they bring this or any competition back with Molly involved, not even starting it.     

They really did come up with some clever dishes all  things considered. I feel like the show is so dumbing down. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3

When Brittany was talking about putting parchment paper in her pans, I knew it would be some kind of foreshadowing. 

Side note: I put a coffee filter in the bottom of my cake pans. Fits perfectly and no sticking.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Diego and Justin are too good for this show! Justin especially looks like he needs to be rescued from this hot mess. 

I am sure the bakers expected some of the usual silliness that goes on in this show, but not this. 

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

That must be why Molly seems to adore him.

I feel like I haven't really gotten to know the other bakers but boy, I know a lot about Tom! 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I am sure the bakers expected some of the usual silliness that goes on in this show, but not this. 

I can deal with excessive silliness or even stupidity but it's her meanness that I can't accept! The over perky, fake friendly attitude and then WHAM random mean girl comment is incredibly jarring and just awful! 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ree and Eddie were charming on the Christmas Cookies show. 

I actually would take Jason over Molly. Not Rachel Ray the yelling banshee though!

Heehee -- I was being sarcastic, naming others I dislike.  

Just now, Rammchick said:

Heehee -- I was being sarcastic, naming others I dislike.  

I know. But she's so bad, for me, I think Jason would be a better alternative! 

Maybe by next week I'll take Rachel too.........

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

So this baking championship is really Molly’s competition now ! Her ridiculous cookie salad which is not only disgusting to think about really is not something you would expect to have professional bakers make on a show like this ! 
Molly was more over the top this week because she was able to get two childish and gross items that the bakers had to make in the elimination round !  
I can not believe they eliminated someone over a cookie salad!

And is Molly really 6 years old with her childish obsession with sprinkles ?

Poor Carolyn ! First Molly who must make herself the focus of every part of this competition ,  keeps  talking to her to the point that when he alarm goes off she is so distracted that she doesn’t take her bacon out of the oven ! Also Molly takes it upon herself to turn off a baker’s alarm!! WTF! If she would have let it keep beeping maybe Carolyn would have realized she had to take out the bacon ! Then Molly does a little “oops” face and says “”that was for the bacon”! 
Why did they allow a host to do that??

Was baby Molly angry that Carolyn was  ignoring her stupid conversation so she thought she’d be a little passive aggressive? She is bit passive aggressive, kind of like a middle school girl with many of her comments and behavior! 

Carolyn’s dessert was too sweet so she got eliminated, but Dennis made breadsticks that barely were a pastry so he gets to stay ?? 
Is Molly now helping decide who stays basically based on who she feels is thrilled with her irritating personality??

It sure looks like Dennis, Tom and Jaleesa are the top three for the finale since they kiss up , put up with Molly and  have a “story”. 
What is sad is that Justin, Romny and Diego are really good but they don’t try to get attention in anyway besides their baking !

Oh and why do we need to see Molly’s annoying facial expressions as she stuffs her mouth eating the desserts ?  Why is she acting like she is a judge ?

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 20
(edited)
21 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

So this baking championship is really Molly’s competition now ! Her ridiculous cookie salad which is not only disgusting to think about really is not something you would expect to have professional bakers make on a show like this ! 
Molly was more over the top this week because she was able to get two childish and gross items that the bakers had to make in the elimination round !  
I can not believe they eliminated someone over a cookie salad!

And is Molly really 6 years old with her childish obsession with sprinkles ?

Carolyn’s dessert was too sweet so she got eliminated, but Dennis made breadsticks that barely were a pastry so he gets to stay ?? 
Is Molly now helping decide who stays basically based on who she feels is thrilled with her irritating personality??

It sure looks like Dennis, Tom and Jaleesa are the top three for the finale since they kiss up , put up with Molly and  have a “story”. 
What is sad is that Justin, Romny and Diego are really good but they don’t try to get attention in anyway besides their baking !

Oh and why do we need to see Molly’s annoying facial expressions as she stuffs her mouth eating the desserts ?  Why is she acting like she is a judge ?

And shouldn't it be about the baking? Not the pudding? And that first challenge was not great either. I could understand them doing like what the Easter show did, create a dish that is not what it looks like. 

I really hope we do not get Molly next season or in any further baking competitions. 

It does feel childish and not in a fun way. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Shermie said:

How can you operate a bakery and not know the difference between macaroon and macaron? Morons.

I think you mean "maroons" ;-D (h/t Bugs Bunny)

• LOL 16

I get why Food Network is trying to get her out there. She is young and they want to attract more young viewers. They don't have to let her be so irritating. Oh Yah!

Seriously Cookie Salad! These are serious bakers.

I got myself in bed last night to watch and fell asleep. After reading the comments I am glad sleep overtook me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, rocketinu said:

I get why Food Network is trying to get her out there. She is young and they want to attract more young viewers. They don't have to let her be so irritating. Oh Yah!

Seriously Cookie Salad! These are serious bakers.

I got myself in bed last night to watch and fell asleep. After reading the comments I am glad sleep overtook me.

I used to like Molly, but she got more and more goofy and childish.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

I used to like Molly, but she got more and more goofy and childish.

Her early shows were really quite pleasant and I have made a couple of her recipes.  She has always had this thing with sprinkles but she was not irritating to watch.

In the last year or so, however, the show has gotten ridiculously gimimicky with little tractors running around the cookie trays and Molly having all kinds of goofy expressions.  I don't know if it is FN driven or not.  As has been said, maybe they are aiming for younger viewers.  But while I sitll like a lot of her recipes, it's gotten quite difficult to actually watch an episode.  Mostly I tape them and run through the cutesy as much as possible.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

Her early shows were really quite pleasant and I have made a couple of her recipes.  She has always had this thing with sprinkles but she was not irritating to watch.

In the last year or so, however, the show has gotten ridiculously gimimicky with little tractors running around the cookie trays and Molly having all kinds of goofy expressions.  I don't know if it is FN driven or not.  As has been said, maybe they are aiming for younger viewers.  But while I sitll like a lot of her recipes, it's gotten quite difficult to actually watch an episode.  Mostly I tape them and run through the cutesy as much as possible.

I guess cutesy an cartoony is her niche now. Like you said, it might be more producer driven than her choice. If that is the case, it is a shame if her recipes are pretty solid. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

If that is the case, it is a shame if her recipes are pretty solid. 

A lot of them really are.  Here is a link to her recipes.  Most are not over the top crazy and she normally has a range of things on each show.  She just did a whitefish spread recipe that is just divine but of course I just love whitefish!

With that said, she really is unwatchable on this show even for a fan.  It's like she's on uppers or something.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

A lot of them really are.  Here is a link to her recipes.  Most are not over the top crazy and she normally has a range of things on each show.  She just did a whitefish spread recipe that is just divine but of course I just love whitefish!

With that said, she really is unwatchable on this show even for a fan.  It's like she's on uppers or something.

Thanks for the link. Many of those look really good and not what I would expect from her. 

Again, maybe TPTB want her in that role. 

Edited by libgirl2
(edited)
6 hours ago, ninjakid said:

So for those of you who were confused about the name "Cookie Salad" let me explain the naming convention for Minnesota potlucks. There are two categories of composed dishes, hot dish and salad. This is how we end up with jello salad and cookie salad. I admit that I have never tasted, seen, or heard of a cookie salad, but its seems like it would fit the tradition.

Wouldn’t there be a third category for potlucks, called “desserts”? Which is where one would find a cookie salad? I’ve been to many potlucks and people are asked to bring a main dish and a dessert. Main dish is hot or cold, depending on the season.

And I’d put jello salad in the dessert category too, but that’s a whole other debate.

I wonder if Molly might be more suited to host a kids baking show.

Edited by Shermie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I

51 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Wouldn’t there be a third category for potlucks, called “desserts”? Which is where one would find a cookie salad? I’ve been to many potlucks and people are asked to bring a main dish and a dessert. Main dish is hot or cold, depending on the season.

It's a Minnesota thing. If it's hot, it's a hot dish, if it's cold, it's a salad. I don't understand why, but that's how it's done. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I wonder if Molly might be more suited to host a kids baking show.

I was coming here to suggest just this.  For an "adult" show I do not find her attitude, antics or even her personality suitable.  I mute her every time she shows up and try to pretend she's not there.

The "Cookie Salad" main heat felt like an insult to all the bakers, some of them just tolerated it with more grace than others.

I laughed that she gave Denise his 30 minute head start and as soon as the word "sprinkles" left her mouth, you could see him go from engaged to just 'nope'. He even said in a quick passing comment that he'd forgotten about it until the announcement came to the whole bake.

I wish Romny had been on a different season. His bakes, skill level and creativity are fascinating to watch but I have so much second hand embarrassment for him being on this trainwreck. Add on to what everybody else has said, that he is getting ignored because he doesn't have a 'story' and I cringe.

• Love 12

Welp, Molly sabotaged Carolyn twice, once by distracting her and the bacon burned and the second because of the idiotic cookie salad. Carolyn is middle tier for me with Diego, Romy, and Justin being top so I didn't have her picked for the finale, but Molly really screwed her over.

No one should have gone home this week. This challenge was embarrassing for everyone involved. The contestants knew it. The judges knew it. Everyone but Molly knew it.

I'll ride out the rest of this season, but if Molly shows up on any show I watch, including this show next year, it's an instant skip.

• Love 20

I'm not snobby about the idea of a cookie salad, even if I don't like the name. My grandma used to make a delicious jello salad with a layer of creamcheese mixed with jello and a jello with fruit layer. It was refreshing during the hot summer months. My mom would make watergate salad, and I like that too. I'm happy to eat the comfort foods and the foodie foods.

For me, it seems like a reasonable ask to have a fruit and pudding/cream dessert with a crunch/cookie element. I wonder if part of the disdain is because it's made as a giant serving rather than individual? I imagine tuile baskets with fruit and custard wouldn't get the same kind of reaction, yet they're fundamentally the same. (I do wish the chocolate striped cookie hadn't been a requirement, even if it's traditional for the midwestern dish.)

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

I mean, the changes this season reflect her personality (ribbons! chit-chat! silly challenges!) so it does seem like she had a lot of impact, to the show's detriment, IMO.  I'm not adverse to change, but it's just too much.

Do not like Tom.  He's leaning all the way into PERSONALITY!PLUS! and it's just irritating.

Thank you! Tom has used up his allowance of "cutsey".

I have decided that Molly thinks she is 9 years old. What would be considered sweet and charming in a 9 year old, is slightly repulsive in a grown woman.  I wish the cameras would stay off her face when she is pretending to eat. She has single handedly wrecked this formally pleasant competition. 

Edited by jrzy
Bad grammar.
  • Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Welp, Molly sabotaged Carolyn twice, once by distracting her and the bacon burned and the second because of the idiotic cookie salad. Carolyn is middle tier for me with Diego, Romy, and Justin being top so I didn't have her picked for the finale, but Molly really screwed her over.

No one should have gone home this week. This challenge was embarrassing for everyone involved. The contestants knew it. The judges knew it. Everyone but Molly knew it.

I'll ride out the rest of this season, but if Molly shows up on any show I watch, including this show next year, it's an instant skip.

Not to mention, Carolyn got eliminated because of a pudding being too sweet when it’s a baking contest  

Dennis on the other hand screwed up the baking Ingredient and didn’t get eliminated !

Molly is like a crazy preschool teacher who plays favorites ! She likes Dennis because he allows her to blab and he responds to her . I think she was pissed  that Carolyn was ignoring her ridiculous conversation so she turned off her alarm like a weirdo !  I also think  she has some influence on who won and is an unofficial judge ! So Dennis not only came out on tv , but he responds to her stupidity !

Kardea is also obnoxious with her obvious favoritism of Jaleesa and her loud mouth !  I used to think Sunny was obnoxious, but wow she is way better than Molly and Kardea on the other baking challenge ! Very professional !

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 11

I have not minded Molly before, I even have her cookbook. BUT last night's episode was ridiculous. I agree with what everyone said about the absurdity of the challenge. GBBO has oddball regional challenges sometimes but they are about baking, which is supposed to be the focus of the show. Not redeeming some packaged food abomination from the 60s/70s. Molly turned up the twee to 11 on this episode and it was not in any way pleasant to watch.
And I like her so I can't imagine how awful this one was for those who don't. Had I not known anything about her until she commandeered this show, I probably would feel differently. FN is really bungling this.

• Love 10

It seems to me that all the attention on Molly this season is insulting to Duff and Nancy who have been with the show all along.  Duff is the only one of the four - judges plus Molly - who is actually a baker/pastry chef and the newcomer/twit is being treated like the star of the show.  I'd be livid.  I'll bet Lorraine is happy to be stuck in London.

• Like 1
  • Love 17

Molly was so much more annoying this week than she usually is !

Why does she talk like a Valley girl, dragging out her words like a Kardashian?

Why was someone eliminated for cream when the other person didn’t even make a cookie correctly , and it’s a baking championship ? 

Why is Tom still there when he has no decorating skills ? Last week what he wrote on his cookie was smeared like someone in Kindergarten decorated it?  Yet he was saved !

But , Tom and Jaleesa are all over social media and they have added stories and drama ,  along  with Dennis !  So they can screw up horribly and they get saved .

Molly is acting like it’s her show and she also comments on the baking during judging ! When Duff commented that Tom messed up his decorating last week and this week, Molly looked like she was going to cry and had to say that Tom’s things were so good !  She looked like she was going to sit on the floor and cry if her buddy Tom most since he fixed her all kinds of fake attention !  
I can’t stand Tom ! He is totally over the top and an attention seeker !

Molly has the personality of child who needs constant attention and also wants her way ! She blabs nonstop to the bakers when they were trying to bake ! 
I loved Justin blowing off Molly when she asked him about idiotic questions about whether he was feeling stressed or something like that! 
Justin , Diego and Romny should be in the final !

It’s also obvious that childish Molly came up with the preschool ribbon idea ! Adult bakers running up to get a ribbon ! Ugh 

Even when she’s not talking her annoying expressions while she stuffs  her face are irritating ! The only good thing about Molly eating is that we don’t have to see her annoying smile and hear her annoying voice with the stupid comments she makes 

• Love 9

The only thing I can say positive about “cookie salad” is that it reminded me of the banana pudding my mother used to make with Nilla Wafers. 😋 

Yeah, if Molly is the host next year, I’m out. Can’t they get John Henson or Ali Khan back?

• Love 13
6 hours ago, storyskip said:

I wish Romny had been on a different season. His bakes, skill level and creativity are fascinating to watch but I have so much second hand embarrassment for him being on this trainwreck. Add on to what everybody else has said, that he is getting ignored because he doesn't have a 'story' and I cringe.

It's because Romy & Diego have the same "story" both are White guys with accents from a European country. They've decided to focus more on Diego, so Romy gets ignored.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, mlp said:

It seems to me that all the attention on Molly this season is insulting to Duff and Nancy who have been with the show all along.  Duff is the only one of the four - judges plus Molly - who is actually a baker/pastry chef and the newcomer/twit is being treated like the star of the show.  I'd be livid.  I'll bet Lorraine is happy to be stuck in London.

I thought it was insulting to Duff too. He has been there since the beginning and you have this person come in and literally take over the show. He has been there since day one and she now comes in.  He is the one with the knowledge.  Glad Food Network gave Duff a new show.  If Molly is back then I am done .. 

• Love 11
(edited)
37 minutes ago, MyMaui said:

I thought it was insulting to Duff too. He has been there since the beginning and you have this person come in and literally take over the show. He has been there since day one and she now comes in.  He is the one with the knowledge.  Glad Food Network gave Duff a new show.  If Molly is back then I am done .. 

Yes, if she is back next year, I'm not going to watch. The only reason I am still watching this is because I already invested time into Diego, Romy and Justin. And they had better not have her on the Halloween show! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 13