Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 12/3/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

And when/why/how did "Baby It's Cold Outside" become a Christmas song?   It's "seasonal" only because there's snow...not because there's Santa Claus.

The reports I read were simply that some station decided it was "inappropriate" for radio play because it was "suggestive."  EGAD!  Do they not listen to today's lyrics?  

Stuff like this convinces me that every morning show sets their agenda of topics by reading Facebook and Twitter. And I'm more convinced that I should be writing for these shows given the time I spend online. 

Anyway, my friends and I (Gen Xers) have been mocking that song for years for being kind of skeevy. It's not just the #MeToo movement. I just hate that's it's considered a Christmas classic and played on Christmas radio every year. I love songs from the 40's and 50s, but I'm not a fan of this at all.  

On that note, we've also been mocking Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer for about as long. Santa's a dick, and Hermie is a monster for pulling out Bumble's teeth without novocaine. I do love it, though. 

10 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Funny or Die's creepy version of Baby It's Cold Outside

Several years old though, but I guess a radio station just recently decided not to play the song so the topic is once again hot. 

Call me cynical, but I think the radio station did it so they'd go viral. 

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, bannana said:

Sunny was talking about her female family members preparing her for her wedding night, and that was linked to the song because Grandma told her to say: Baby it's cold outside!  Buy NutMeg interrupted and exclaimed: were you a virgin!  Sunny looked coy, and Joy told her she didn't need to answer that because NutMeg won't talk about her own sex life.

Oh, snap😂, that's why I love Joy. Meghan must have been pissed.

• Love 20
Just now, Coffeewinewater said:

Meghan must have been pissed.

She probably was but how could we tell when she wears a perpetual bitch faced scowl every minute of the show from Monday all the way through to Friday?  She goes from Resting Bitch Face to ... well, Resting Bitch Face.  With an occasional squinty eyed death stare thrown in to shake things up. 

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hermie didn’t didn’t do that. Cornelius did. He brought a toothless snowmonster to show everyone he was now harmless.

I think the snow monster is my favorite character in that whole thing. He never actually hurts anyone. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

This has been my theory all along. Not to get too off topic but it’s relevant to the point - remember when Whoopi talked about how upset Jeanine Pirro was because Joy wasn’t there on the day she was a guest? Well, Jeanine attacked the next best thing - Whoopi. And conservative media ate it up. Well, Meghan targets Joy everyday because, as you stated, it draws in a particular audience, one that wouldn’t normally watch this show. 

For a while, Joy was in many right-wing articles (I have Apple News at work and she was consistently being mentioned on Fox News, The Blaze, etc). I wonder if that actually cooled off because of the Kid Rock blunder. Not only did Steve Doocey quickly shut it down, but the Fox & Friends anchor re-iterated the apology. Like in most cases, Meghan isn't figuratively reading the room right.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I just sent Meghan a tweet calling her a rude, shrieking harpy.  I would be honored if she blocks me.

I didn't even say anything to her or tagged her. I just mentioned that I didn't like her unprofessional behaviour and was blocked. I'm kind of surprised too, because I didn't attack her.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I didn't even say anything to her or tagged her. I just mentioned that I didn't like her unprofessional behaviour and was blocked. I'm kind of surprised too, because I didn't attack her.

I did. At the end of last season I tweeted that debating isn’t just screaming at the other person and that I was tired of listening to this fat fuck butcher the English language. 

Then the tough chick banned me. Ha! I was so proud! 

• Love 14

After years of reading forums (I do miss IMDB) I finally decided to join the conversations.  Retirement means more free time!  I have watched the View since day 1 thanks to VCRs/DVRs when I was working and now live although I always record to avoid commercials and view your deal, just a longer commercial.  

MM has pretty much ruined this show for me.  Almost everything she does and says annoys me. Gads!  Enough with the Evelyn Wood style of reading from those damn blue cards!   And if Joy goes then so do I.  I love her.  

I saw some write they have run out of swear words.  May I offer up one from Dietland?    Cuntch.  If it was in the dictionary MMs picture would be included with the definition.  

• Love 22

If MM steps up to this challenge, there truly is no bottom for her:

but they're talking about it on "The View," which means now it's definitely going to be a thing until gun owners get mad at Starbucks cups or Meghan McCain takes a selfie with Kid Rock.

(From an article @ Salon about the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" topic)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

My sister told me yesterday about the "Baby it's cold outside" ban. RBM so stupid she did not know what it was about...saying she just thought it was cold.....anyway. Personally I love the song and both singers are flirting and being coy...cute song.

The song is from the 1949 movie, "Neptune's Daughter."  Ricardo Montalban (29 at the time) sings it with Esther Williams (age 28).  Scandalous!  I'll forgive Meghan (the only time during 2018-19) for not understanding the context.  She probably heard the song when she was a child...and hadn't see the movie.   

Edited by HaaCHOO
no need to say "probably" twice
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

The song is from the 1949 movie, "Neptune's Daughter."  Ricardo Montalban (29 at the time) sings it with Esther Williams (age 28).  Scandalous!  I'll forgive Meghan (the only time during 2018-19) for not understanding the context.  She probably heard the song when she was a child...and hadn't see the movie.   

Except the song was sung by Betty Garrett, who was the one singing "Baby, it's Cold outside," to Red Skelton, who was trying to leave.

1 hour ago, ABitOFluff said:

I think the snow monster is my favorite character in that whole thing. He never actually hurts anyone. 

And Rudolph was mine, because I could SO relate to him and how he was treated and teased.

But the point is, that Hermie wasn't the one who removed snowmonster's teeth.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Except the song was sung by Betty Garrett, who was the one singing "Baby, it's Cold outside," to Red Skelton, who was trying to leave.

It was sung twice.  In the Garrett-Skelton rendition, it's a comedy.  SHE is trying to make him stay.

• Love 5

I just complained to the network too....I'VE FUCKING HAD IT WITH THAT COW. Thanks for the site, you know I think this is the only television show I have ever complained about, and this makes like the 3rd or 4th time because of that pig. I never even complained about the other ultra conservatives who drove me NUTS. Poor Joy. Oh I am so mad. 

• Love 18

Another Day of Tepid Topics. Snore.

Joy usually brushes these things off pretty easily, but today it clearly lingered with her more. Her correction of Meghan over North by North-west, and later admonishing her for talking about Sunny's virginity had humour in it, but it was a lot thinner than usual. "How dare you!" she joked about Meghan asking if Sunny was a virgin, where she was clearly mocking Meghan's reaction to sex topics, but you could see she was still a bit rankled. I don't blame her at all. God, what a killjoy Meghan is!

And seriously, if she wanted to change the topic she could've take a note from Abby. When Joy was talking about Gingrich, Abby jumped into a space and was like: "How about that dog though?" and the panel "aww'd and ahh'd" and there was no bad feelings. Not saying Abby did that on purpose, she probably didn't, but I was struck with how simply that altered the conversation in a way no one got pissed off.

I guess at least we were spared too much fawning over yet another dead politician as though anything unpleasant they did has been wiped clean. Having said that, I did find it interesting when they mentioned the Clean Air Act and the letter to Bill Clinton, so maybe I'm a hypocrite, heh. But my opinion on the way we talk about those who died is really just summed up in this song made by these Australian comedians. And I note Meghan would be livid to see the first comment underneath:

They should stop expressing outrage over things like the "Baby It's Cold Outside" issue, because, well it's not really an issue and their outrage seems ridiculous and builds up things that aren't that important. Whoopi was terrible at expressing herself here, and I was actually laughing at her proclamation that people were more chaste back then based on Hollywood. She should read up on the history of sexuality, she may be quite surprised. Joy had it right when she said that people did plenty of stuff, people just didn't talk about it. I suppose Whoopi will next argue that people really did used to all sleep in separate beds from their spouses all the time because that's how it was shown in the movies.

Personally, I find the song skeevy too. Others I know like it. It's all good, we can have a discussion about it and no one is outraged. Often when people talk about these cultural things and how they read today they're just trying to have an interesting discussion. Maybe some places don't want to play it, that's their choice, others will. Whoopi was acting like the government were coming around to people's houses to delete songs off their iPods and smash albums.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, dr. gailey said:

So Meghan doesn't feel like listening to what Joy had to say during her remarks about Bush. I would pay money the next time they have Hot Topics and Meghan starts on one of her rants and Joy tells her to shut up, I don't feel like listening to your talking points.

So according to Nutmeg, it wasn't the time to talk about the current occupant in the White House because they were honoring Bush. Yet didn't she publicly bash the same man during the memorial service of her dad. Do as I say, not as I do.

I knew she hadn't changed a bit. Forever a rude bitch.

SOOO TRUE!  Sorry Meghan, you don't get to ignore that Trump exists at your choosing, just like you don't get to dictate what topics are beneath being a topic for discussion, etc.  Plus, Joy was complimenting Bush's legacy on something. Maybe it hit a nerve with Meghan because a lot of the things that Trump is destroying/supporting are completely in line with today's Republican party.  

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 22

It seemed like everyone made small comparisons between President Bush and the current administration without naming Trump.  Of course Joy is the only one Meghan jumped all over. I can't believe Joy still goes out to drinks with Meghan.  

The audience reactions before the break were cracking me up. 

• Love 21

Meghan derailed an entire climate change topic to discuss Leonardo DiCaprio flying private and sat silent when Whoopi introduced the topic with a reference to Trump and sat silent when Abby threw shade at Trump by talking about how much respect Bush Sr. had for the press but she gets upset with Joy addressing what she felt was one of Bush Sr. greatest achievements during his Presidency and pointing out that she would honour the good work of him and the likes of Obama by using her vote to protect the work they've done in office to protect the environment. Whoopi didn't even bother try to intervene, she just went straight to commercial, lol. Meghan's got some audacity trying to dictate how others use their time at the table based on what HER interests are.

I love that they came back from break and Joy was being her normal self and bought me about 2 minutes of silence from Meghan. I'll take it...thanks Joy.

Bush Sr. dog....oh my heart <3

Why do they keep calling it a bloody Christmas song. Just because a song references snow or cold weather doesn't meant it's a Christmas song, come on people. Joy trying to sing and dance to Blurred Lines...lmao. Though I do think banning the song is an attempt at being PC. Lots of songs reflect a cat and mouse style of courtship and/or intimacy which is a real thing that happens and I don't think it's fair to say those songs encourage or advocate for doing things against someone's will.

• Love 23
58 minutes ago, dr. gailey said:

So according to Nutmeg, it wasn't the time to talk about the current occupant in the White House because they were honoring Bush. Yet didn't she publicly bash the same man during the memorial service of her dad. Do as I say, not as I do.

That is an excellent point. I don't have a Twitter, but could someone Tweet that to her?Or-OR-maybe put a note in a whiskey bottle and send it to The View. She will certainly see it then.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I've seen only two episodes since the season started. And despite reading how everyone is starting to push back on that twat, I end up deleting the week's episodes because I just can't stand to hear her screechy, immature, thin-skinned ass.

You've seen 2 more episodes than me this season. The last time I watched was Sara's last day.   I almost watched last week to see Joy's anniversary show, but we had a power outage that day, so I missed it.  I really HATE MM and just watching those few seconds of the video posted upthread, made me hate her even a little bit more.  That first day she said she wanted to be like EH, well she's more than succeeded.  

• Love 14

So by Meghan's rules, they're not allowed to talk about what they did over Thanksgiving because it would be too upsetting for the not so recently bereaved host and now with the death of 41 they cannot bring up how Trump has perverted the GOP from what it used to be because it would distract from honoring 41.  I'm wondering exactly what topics are okay for discussion. Real Housewives, guns and booze? Boring.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 23
4 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Can somebody send me something abut George Bush Sr's dog that everybody is talking about. Thanks guys and dolls.

There is a very sweet and touching photo of him laying beside his casket.  I just found it on google.  Very sweet.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

The commercial break seemed extra-long after the Rabid Topic Enforcer had her meltdown. Maybe they needed extra time for the tranq dart to take effect.

I noticed that too.  She sure seemed docile for the first few minutes of the second segment, but then the tranq wore off.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, GokaiGreen said:

This is probably the angriest that I've seen Joy get pissed off with anyone since my time watching the show. 

vjhk6px.gif

Interestingly, they cut the end off on the YouTube clip of this segment. I’m glad we have it elsewhere. 😁

• Love 17

Bloody hell Meghan out did herself today,surely it carnt take much more for them to bin her off! Come back Jedediah,all is forgiven as far as i`m concerned! How times have changed from Joy being the one to try & calm down co-hosts tension to each other (Rosie/Elizabeth being the first example i can think of) to now being the one to have tension. Odd how they cut to the commercial break as if ABC are using MM for ratings surely they would want an "explosive" argument to be shown (again harking back to the R/E split screen) Maybe its time for a split screen of Joy vs Meghan,something tells me if that was to happen then the lard arse at the end of the table would be gone by the next day!

2 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

The commercial break seemed extra-long after the Rabid Topic Enforcer had her meltdown. Maybe they needed extra time for the tranq dart to take effect.

Maybe various peoples took it in turns to shoot darts into her,lets face it it would take more than 1 dart to get through all her layers of fat....oops sorry i ment curves.

• Love 9

I wonder if they’ve directed Whoopi to cut to commercial before MM loses it and runs off stage? This is the second time she’s had to cut , shut down Megan or the conversation.  If this show called the view, I would’ve love to continue hearing what they both had to say but I Think the producers KNOW they can’t with her....because after what I’ve witnessed in person .. she can’t hold a civil opposing conversation without resorting to scolding the audience which then causes them to turn against her which then causes her to cry and run off stage.... rinse repeat

I don’t think they can take that chance. What I saw that day during the live taping, she was in tears through the whole show... holding it together seething in anger during the commercials. 

I really didn’t think she’d show up for the second segment because she was literally distraught and they had to talk her off the ledge. It was that bad 

Edited by WonderWuman73
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Rainyhawk said:

New poster.  Been reading for a few months...usually before I watch the show.  For those wondering about today’s blowup with joy and MM, here’s a little story behind the scenes.  Sounds like she doesn’t limit her attitude and language to just the co-hosts but also the brass..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6455991/The-Views-Joy-Behar-Meghan-McCain-blow-tribute-George-Bush.html

Well, it's the Daily Fail, so who knows what the truth is, but I really love the idea of Joy going off thusly:

"I've tolerated a lot of shit on this show but I'm at my wits' end with this entitled bitch. Enough already! Enough already! I'm not playing nice any longer."

It irritates me so much that Meghan has created this hostile work environment and it will get cast as a Meghan vs Joy thing, which is what she openly admitted she wanted on the first day (who in their right mind is inspired by Elisabeth Hasselbeck?!). I've known a number of Miss Victim's like Meghan in my time; always attacking other people while hiding behind an emotional excuse (ie like "my father is dying" or "I found out I'm sick") which they use to stop others criticising them too harshly. Then when they push and push and finally somebody justifiably snaps back it becomes a "catfight" or "it's both sides" or some excuse like that. I'm 100% behind Joy here, I think she's been remarkably restrained all things considered, and the workplace should be supporting her.

11 minutes ago, pinguina said:

I'm sorry, I miss the days when the ladies would disagree without drama or anger or a toddler tantrum that MM brings to the table.

Remember when they did that flashback show, getting the original cast together? Meredith, Star, Joy and Debbie - it was fantastic! Long gone are those days.

• Love 13

ABC does not care. Not ranting letters, complaining emails nor disgusted tweets will change this situation.

They. Love. It. 

Until ratings fall or advertisers bail nothing will change.  That’s the media these days and we the viewers created it, until we require more from them and for us it will remain the same or worse  - we have to make it stop.

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 24
7 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

What find offensive about “Baby it’s cold outside “, “Blurred Lines” (?) and others is that it perpetuates The whole notion of “YOUR LIPS SAY NO BUT YOUR EYES SAY YES”. It’s a dangerous message to send to men and women. 

Whoopie needs to shut the hell up. Premarital sex is not a new invention. 

Agreed.  I actually casually liked the song and was surprised when I heard criticism.  I finally looked up the lyrics and understand now.  And personally, I could care less what movie this song is from.  The song has been played for decades with no pre-requisite of seeing the movie required.

In the song, she states her mother will be worried and her father will be pacing the floor, as he dismisses her concern and teases.  He finally coaxes her into having a half drink.  All fine, whatever.  Then she asks him what's in the drink, which implies he spiked it.  But what really clinches it for me, are his lines:  "Baby don't hold out", and "Get over that hold out", and all I hear is the same BS men have always used to pressure women into sex and calling them a "tease".  

• Love 10
8 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Just how does Meghan think she is going to take Joy down?  Does she think Joy is going to collapse in tears? Joy worked the comedy club circuit. She has dealt with drunk hecklers.  Meghan is like a pesky fly that needs swatted.

Megs IS a drunk heckler. 

• Love 20