Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E05: Liev Schreiber / Lil Wayne

• Start Topic

I think if I had to guess at the beginning of the season who potential hosts were, I would've guessed 247 other people - including Chevy Chase - before guessing Liev Schreiber.  I'll be curious to see how this turns out, because I feel like the closest thing I've seen him be "funny" in is Scream 2.

• Love 4

I'm cautiously optimistic that Liev Schreiber will host a funny show.  I didn't think Adam Driver would be funny because of his serious roles and his first episode was hilarious.  I think that Liev has a sense of humor about himself (Emmy skit for example) and that often leads to a good show.  

• Love 4

Yes.  She'll do Sessions as a heartbroken, betrayed minion.  Shouldn't be much of a stretch.  Has anyone ever done "there-will-be-hell-to-pay" Lindsey Graham?  It'd be cool if they can work something in with him. 

The writers need to step up their game tonight.  I'm more concerned with them than with Shreiber. 

Edited by JZL
Moar thinkinging.
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

You think Kate will don the suit and possum tail one last time?

I'm also betting on RBG showing up during Update. This was quite a week for some of her old stand-bys.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

^ I normally agree but the subpoenas/some penis joke was funnier when Brad and Carrie did it on the CMAs a few years ago. Maybe because the subpoenas was coming from Carrie Underwood playing up her country accent.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

Cold Open: And of course we start with Jeff Sessions. The only reason I hate to see him go is all the great bits they got out of him here. Why am I not surprised that they got lots of great bits out of everyone except Trump himself? It's so refreshing to see Don Jr AND I'M ERIC outside of Update. Man, Jeff Sessions was one of the best part of those Trump sketches, it was honestly good to see them one last time (Well, it was one way to get Alec Baldwin in here...). Robert Mueller DeNiro was a nice surprise, if nothing really came of it. He was really NOT into saying the "Live from New York" part.

Monologue: "A lifeline dreamed fulfilled." I'm giving kudos to Liev Shreiber for pretty much saying to not get your hopes up this time. I appreciate the honesty. There were no gimmicks to this one, so that's a win for me.

Incest Twins: Simple, dumb premise but this was great. I loved how the Incest Twins were Don Jr AND I'M ERIC but with better personalities. And it just got better when they kept adding family members. "Our sister joins us sometimes!" "All comes together!"

Unity: This was so great. We all hate the small things, like "moist." My favorite was the waiter that acts like a football coach. That just rubs me the wrong way so much. 

Ghost Encounters: Oh hey, Kate's "alien abductee" character is back. I never got as much out of these sketches as everyone else does, but this one managed to get me to laugh. Miss Rafferty being 27 was the biggest surprise out of me for this one (right up there with turning out to being a surrogate. While smoking). I also enjoyed Liev barely keeping it together when Kate crawled over him. That took nerves of steel to not break out laughing.

Booty Kings: I liked this one. They respect boundaries.

WU: Florida: Live Fun or Die. I'd agree with Colin that "Florida banned Florida" but the governor and senate races suggest otherwise. I loved Cecily coming out to make fun of the Acosta thing. That was a level of physical comedy I haven't seen out of her in ages. That doctored video gave me the biggest laugh from this show in a hell of a long time. And it looks like Pete Davidson's role on Update is now to apologize for what he did the previous week. I honestly thought that was Liev Shreiber as Dan Crenshaw but I realized that would've made it worse. I thought it was a good bit, but don't look up his political views if you don't want that ruined for you.

The Poddys: An awards show for podcasts is held at the MeUndies Theater. No laughs at that one, but I loved that. Man, all of this just hit the right notes for me. An ASMR ALF review podcast? awkward transitions to ads? Marc Maron? A Ving Rhames podcast? Yes. I loved this (but not who they had on deck: Ben Shapiro and a medley of NuMetal songs sung by Joe Rogan).

House Hunters: Oh my god yes. Took this show long enough to take this down a peg. The only thing missing was the budget and what Liev and Leslie did for a living (although I loved that they somehow paid $9 billion for the house). The houses just kept getting more surreal, and this just nailed how nonchalant the couples are on this show.

New Neighbors: Those Looney Tunes shirts really take me back. Spraying the hose on Beck and Kyle was hilarious every time that happened. This had tyo have been written be Beck and Kyle, it's the only explanation.

Dave's Outside The Women's Bathroom: Now this was a perfect 5-to-1 sketch. This was so weird and awkward. I'm shocked this show still had a sketch to squeeze in. Loved Heidi in this. My headcanon is that she's the girlfriend in every boxer movie and Dave was a boxer.

Well, I had very low expectations for this, I was pleasantly surprised. Next week is Steve Carrell for the Thanksgiving episode.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 18

I thought they hit just the right note with Dan Crenshaw. 

There were some strange sketches. I thought the Incest Brothers thing went on way too long, and that thing with the boys and Mr. and Mrs. Campbell was just too odd for me. I wasn't really feeling the House Hunters sketch until the very end, when Pete asked "Can you let me out?" and Leslie and Liev just smiled and slowly closed the door. 

I thought Liev was pretty good, though. 

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

The fact that Veteran Dan Crenshaw agreed to sit side-by-side with Pete Davidson is incredible. ???? Proud of them both for separate reasons. I don’t think Davidson meant any harm with his initial comments but the fact that Crenshaw forgives him regardless is great. 

That was hysterical. And probably the only time Davidson has been funny, as Crenshaw rightly zinged him.

I LOVED the Adriana burn.

• Love 9

Oh boy, I thought this one was pretty rough going for a big stretch. I did like the second half much more than the first half, where almost everything felt like a weaker imitation of something they've already done.  I mean, after that monologue, I totally get why they kept Liev to the straightman supporting parts for most of the show. I did think he loosened up in the last half hour, and he genuinely sold the bathroom bit.  Speaking of the monologue, I'm convinced he was trying to wing parts of it.  Liev tried to act more than just blatantly reading the cue cards, so I appreciated that.

I did like the Cold Open. If that was Kate's Sessions' goodbye, it was a good one to go out on. I loved when Sessions started singing "Someone Like You."

The Alien/ghost sketch has worked exactly once. I think the point tonight was indeed to get Liev to break and show a little bit of personality.

I'm sorry, but I thought Pete's segment tonight was HELLA AWKWARD.  It just had me cringing. I'm not sure why the guy actually had to be there. There are always going to be people who take offense. Case in point: Countdown to more angry tweets from Ariana that they are still bringing her up and using her music. And Pete will be on next week to apologize to her...again. It's a vicious cycle.

I like House Hunters.  I've seen a lot of these types of shows. My dad records them religiously.

And I totally laughed out loud when Liev broke the hose out inside the house.

42 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I didn't think that one was ever going to end.

Didn't love the show, but good for Liev trying something outside his comfort zone. Looking forward to Steve Carell.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

Totally forgot to comment on this in my post above. I was honestly confused about what the point was - was it really just that they now respect boundaries (which, yay - progress?) or was it trying to slyly point out that while maybe we've taken a step forward with the notion of proactive consent there is still MASSIVE OBJECTIFICATION OF WOMEN HAPPENING ALL THE TIME? I am legit unsure. I'd like to think it's the latter, but...I dunno.

• Love 7

I thought it was magnanimous of Lt. Cl. Dan Crenshaw to do the bit with Pete. He's seen a lot as a veteran, left behind an exploded eye in Afghanistan, and has a political career about to begin. He really didn't have to bother with a comedy sketch show, but the uproar was enough that Lorne must have made Pete apologize, and I think apologizing to Crenshaw's face was a nice touch. 

I admire that Crenshaw reminded the nation that Pete's dad was a hero,  but my heart hurt for Pete in that moment because his face---you could see the little boy who 17 years ago was told his father would never come home. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I honestly thought that was Liev Shreiber as Dan Crenshaw but I realized that would've made it worse.

I thought that, too! And I wasn't sure if the sketch was going for a double down on mocking him or what. And then I figured out it really was the actual guy, and not an impression.

• Love 3

I called it in last week's thread about the Dan Crenshaw cameo; that's  probably as close as I'll ever come to writing for the show--but I'll take it.  I'll double down and say they're saving RGB for next week, where increasingly bad things happen to her and she only keeps getting stronger.

I loved the song about things we all hate; it's a bit like the Adele video from a few years ago about how her music also brings us all together.

I thought the incest/invest brothers peaked with the book cover--but too many skits can give you humor whiplash.

I loved the House Hunters with the invisible cat on the roof, and the idea that there was an actual man stored in the man cave.

Liev Schrieber was a perfect use of someone who's not known for comedy.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Well, I gotta say, I wasn’t expecting Liev Schrieber to pull out a spot on Michael Barbaro impression. 

He really was better than I feared after seeing the monologue, which had me worried that he was going to tank the whole show. 

• Love 6

Count me as somebody who was pleasantly surprised by Liev. He definitely stuck more to the straight man roles, as I predicted, but he seemed game and like he was making a real effort to do his best. His monologue was shaky but weirdly it didn't get me worried for the rest of the show. I normally get nervous for a new host when they send out half the cast to prop them up, but they let him do this alone which told me that they had some confidence in him. He did seem nervous and like he knew he was coming into this under very low expectations, but I thought he pulled it off.

Oh, are we not done talking about Pete and Ariana? Great.

Loved The Poddy's (which I think is a real thing that is happening? it's probably not called that but they are doing a podcast award show soon...maybe it already happened? I can't keep up anymore). I especially liked the first category about awkward transitions into commercials. One of the reasons I pay $5 a month for Stitcher Premium is so I can enjoy How Did This Get Made? without Paul Scheer's painful attempts at punching up the ad copy. The only thing this sketch was missing was Paul F. Thompkins showing up whether you wanted him there or not, but Marc Maron was a nice touch. Assume he'll lose his goddamn mind over SNL doing an impression of him given his embarrassingly obvious grudge against the show for never hiring him.

Dave's Outside the Women's Bathroom? It's no "100% Cotton" but 10/10 would watch if it was a real show.

Definitely thought this was stronger than last week in all ways, and looking forward to Steve Carrell.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Arkay said:

I thought it was magnanimous of Lt. Cl. Dan Crenshaw to do the bit with Pete. He's seen a lot as a veteran, left behind an exploded eye in Afghanistan, and has a political career about to begin. He really didn't have to bother with a comedy sketch show, but the uproar was enough that Lorne must have made Pete apologize, and I think apologizing to Crenshaw's face was a nice touch. 

I admire that Crenshaw reminded the nation that Pete's dad was a hero,  but my heart hurt for Pete in that moment because his face---you could see the little boy who 17 years ago was told his father would never come home. 

He almost looked blindsided by the mention of his dad. I hope he wasn't, but he looked it. The Ariana bit was needless and went on for too long. I did notice Pete has already changed the tattoo by his ear he got for her into a heart. 

I was pleasantly surprised with the show. I knew there'd be a Sessions bit, that was a given. but the Trump boys showing up was fun. I could watch a whole show of just those bits. The rest of the show was decently strong. It won't go down as one of the best ever, but nothing tanked and all the sketches were at least solid. I loved the House Hunters bit and I haven't even watched House Hunters in like 5 years! Obviously the show hasn't changed at all if the jokes are still true to form from when I was watching. I think Cecily lost all sense of decorum in the hose sketch. They didn't show her for most of it, and when they did, she was struggling not to laugh. Aidy was barely making it thru too. I half expected the joke to be the sons were like 27, not in 6th grade though. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I loved the House Hunters bit and I haven't even watched House Hunters in like 5 years!

I haven't seen the show but I still watch House Hunters occasionally.  I wonder if my comments made it into the sketch:   Does everyone "entertain"?  Do they all demand "natural light"?  Does every young couple buying their first home DEMAND granite, stainless steel, en suite (and use that term)?  Does everyone give a budget and then happily go 20% over it?  Does EVERYONE hate carpeting and demand "hardwood" floors?  And...does every home buyer use the exact wording, no matter what region of the country?  I rest my rant.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I think Cecily lost all sense of decorum in the hose sketch. They didn't show her for most of it, and when they did, she was struggling not to laugh. Aidy was barely making it thru too. I half expected the joke to be the sons were like 27, not in 6th grade though. 

The perverse thing that really works for me about the hose sketch and makes me giggle is imaging my Mom's reaction to someone using a hose inside a house. The whole neighborhood would probably hear her shriek! 

1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

among the items packed up from sessions's desk, was a photo of baldwin's trump. wonder if it's goodbye yo him, as well?

That's a really good  catch. I have been wondering about that myself. I think it is possible they are done with him.

• Love 3

This was an ok show. Liev struggled with his lines in the bathroom sketch but I think they played to his strengths which is the serious man in the sketch. 

I thought  the Unity song started slow but I agreed with so much I was loving it by the end.

I love Halsays voice. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marketdoctor said:

I loved the House Hunters with the invisible cat on the roof, and the idea that there was an actual man stored in the man cave.

I loved the: "oh honey but there isn't a man cave... That's alright I'll keep him in the basement" exchange.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

He really was better than I feared after seeing the monologue, which had me worried that he was going to tank the whole show. 

I was shocked that for someone who does a lot of Theater, he fumbled his first few lines that badly.  His monologue wasn’t great (though I did chuckle about having a nice place because his profile in architectural digest definitely shows it!) but he played the slightly off kilter straight man throughout. I was impressed that he managed to suppress full out laughing during the alien sketch.

As for Pete, we can go back and forth on how he’s being put to a higher standard than the commander in chief but the truth remained that he still said the joke, and was sort of blasé about it after the groans. I would say it’s less Lorne and more Kenan’s words the days after that called him out that it wasn’t ok, even when Crenshaw said himself he wasn’t expectly an apology and said something that we can’t get overly offended over everything that is said. I don’t think the apology would have happened on air if he had lost but   I’m happy that Crenshaw was a good sport about it and maybe that Pete learned to be a bit more aware of jokes that he makes.   That all said, I really hope this is the end of “Pete makes an ass of himself of Weekend Update.” 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

He almost looked blindsided by the mention of his dad. I hope he wasn't, but he looked it. The Ariana bit was needless and went on for too long. I did notice Pete has already changed the tattoo by his ear he got for her into a heart. 

I think he changed it into a heart before they even officially broke up, which was a sign of things to come.

Loved the pilot bit in the "things we all hate" song. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. Overall, things could have been better, but they also could have been worse. Cecily was practically in every bit. Was Leslie Jones off this week? I was a tad bit sleepy last night so I could have missed her making any appearances. YAY for Eric Trump making an appearance again. I'll actually miss his appearances once we escape this alternate reality and he won't be relevant anymore. WU felt kind of short to me. Everything else I have to say would involve politics, so that's about it!

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Was Leslie Jones off this week?

She was the co-lead of the House Hunters sketch.

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

I would say it’s less Lorne and more Kenan’s words the days after that called him out that it wasn’t ok, even when Crenshaw said himself he wasn’t expectly an apology and said something that we can’t get overly offended over everything that is said.

It's probably splitting hairs, but there's no way Kenan does something like that without Lorne's tacit approval.  I viewed that as Lorne speaking through Kenan.

There's a joke or maybe several that Don Jr. and Eric were also the Incest Brothers. :)

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9

Boy, they really doubled down on the toilet humor this week - Kate's ghost, warm public toilet seats in the things we all hate, the ceiling-toilet in House Hunters...  And Dave Outside the Bathroom was definitely toilet-adjacent.

• Love 5

My favorite thing Liev did was his subtle stilted acting in the House Hunters skit mimicking so many people who show up on that show who are not quite camera ready.

13 hours ago, Arkay said:

He really didn't have to bother with a comedy sketch show,

Thiis was an opportunity to introduce himself to a national audience in a way where he could show magnanimity and a sense of humor.  If he has aspirations for a higher political office, an opportunity like this one does not come around very often. 

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

She was the co-lead of the House Hunters sketch.

Leslie was also in the bathroom skit. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Assume he'll lose his goddamn mind over SNL doing an impression of him given his embarrassingly obvious grudge against the show for never hiring him.

Thankfully he's mostly over it ever since he finally interviewed Lorne Michaels.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm sorry, but I thought Pete's segment tonight was HELLA AWKWARD.  It just had me cringing. I'm not sure why the guy actually had to be there. There are always going to be people who take offense.

I'll have a seat at your table. My reaction was definitely more "WTF" than "kumbaya." And not because I didn't think the joke was in poor taste and horrible, but because I really didn't need or want a lecture in the middle of a freaking comedy show, thankyouverymuch. And can we stop bringing Pete Davidson on to WU as a chew toy now? It's getting really uncomfortable and it's definitely not funny.

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I normally get nervous for a new host when they send out half the cast to prop them up, but they let him do this alone which told me that they had some confidence in him

Same - I liked his monologue so much better than any singing or cameo appearances by the beloved past cast members. At least I got to hear the full monologue and appreciate its awkwardness instead of sitting through endless squeeing at the sight of, say, Wiig or Fey or Fallon. And he was fantastic as the pilot. Perfect. "Windspeed at....er....ah.....er.rrrrrrrrr....." And, "Just tell us we're not going to die!" 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I was shocked that for someone who does a lot of Theater, he fumbled his first few lines that badly.

In theater he isn't expected to read cue cards...which is a heavy expectation on SNL.   Also, lines are changed at the last minute.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 7

If HBO thinks getting Liev on SNL will inspire me to watch Ray Donovan after two new episodes have already aired, they're sadly mistaken.  Would it have killed them to get Liev or another cast member on one of the day/night talk shows to give everyone a heads up about the new season?  (I'm so pissed!!)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

...  That all said, I really hope this is the end of “Pete makes an ass of himself of Weekend Update.” 

Well, that's pretty much his shtick now, right? Don't hold your breath!

• Love 5
Spoiler

Not sure how the above happened. Sorry. Here's my original post:

Three sketches were on tape. THREE. 

Pete says something one week about his ex-fiancé. The next week he apologizes and says something stupid about a Vet. Then, he apologizes for that and the object of the joke shows up. It was nice what Dan Crenshaw said. Still, if Davidson gets any criticism, it's always, "I'm mentally ill!" Tired of this tired excuse. I gotta go take my anti-depressants. Where's my comedy career?

Edited by WAnglais1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My favorite thing Liev did was his subtle stilted acting in the House Hunters skit mimicking so many people who show up on that show who are not quite camera ready.

He was outstanding in this sketch. Leslie Jones was good, too, but he really had the stiff pretend-that-you're-just-having-a-normal-conversation-with-your-wife-without-a-camera-crew there guy down pat. This was my favorite sketch of the night. They really nailed it.

I think my next favorite was the Booty Kings. Chris Redd is so good in everything. He even got a big laugh out of me when he did that second-long bit in the Unity song sketch as the guy in the gym who makes loud noises.

I guess I'm not familiar with Michael Barbaro, but still I thought Liev was doing a fantastic characterization. 

• Love 6

Wow.  This was a good show with a newbie guest.  They turned Schreiber's strong serious bent from a liability into an asset.  I can't think of any sketches I didn't like and the Crenshaw bit was both appropriate and funny.  There were some original sketches, too.  I just about shat myself when they trotted faux Marc Maron out for the Poddy sketch.

Best show so far this year? 

• Love 2

I don't give a damn about Pete's joke and I didn't need to watch an apology either. It was a joke. Everyone has the right to feel the way they feel but I'm tired of the outrage culture today. Not everything one finds offensive needs this much attention. Even if I was offended by it I would just move on with my life. He didn't even make fun of his work in the military. He was just being blasé about it all because he knew the backlash would come so he made a jab at it. It's not that serious. Not for me anyway. SNL of all places needs to grow some guts. The days of this show being counter culture and pushing boundaries are long gone.

• Love 7

re Booty Kings:

I was honestly confused about what the point was - was it really just that they now respect boundaries (which, yay - progress?) or was it trying to slyly point out that while maybe we've taken a step forward with the notion of proactive consent there is still MASSIVE OBJECTIFICATION OF WOMEN HAPPENING ALL THE TIME? I am legit unsure. I'd like to think it's the latter, but...I dunno.

It was just 3 minutes of SNL objectifying women, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 2

Did anyone notice that Lil Wayne has a little tattoo of a pair of eyeglasses on his right forehead just above his real glasses? 

I'm not a fan of the genre but both his songs were good.  Were his sidekicks anyone of note?

11 hours ago, Racj82 said:
On 11/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, hendersonrocks said:

Totally forgot to comment on this in my post above. I was honestly confused about what the point was - was it really just that they now respect boundaries (which, yay - progress?) or was it trying to slyly point out that while maybe we've taken a step forward with the notion of proactive consent there is still MASSIVE OBJECTIFICATION OF WOMEN HAPPENING ALL THE TIME? I am legit unsure. I'd like to think it's the latter, but...I dunno.

I went to college at the height of the songs that they were parodying (I definitely got a T-Pain vibe), so I was DYING. I thought it was trying to say how you just can't do songs like that anymore, and how ridiculous that, during 2005-2012 (give or take), EVERY SONG IN THE CLUB was about a girl's butt or getting drunk or having sex or having drunk sex. Having Li'l Wayne show up was everything and it reminded me of the line in Lollipop (Remix) when he randomly promotes using condoms. ("Late sex is great sex but better have some latex 'cause you don't want that late text, that 'I think I'm late' text").

I liked Incest Twins because they stuck with the joke and didn't have the brothers start making out for a cheap laugh.

11 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I don't give a damn about Pete's joke and I didn't need to watch an apology either. It was a joke. Everyone has the right to feel the way they feel but I'm tired of the outrage culture today. Not everything one finds offensive needs this much attention. Even if I was offended by it I would just move on with my life. He didn't even make fun of his work in the military. He was just being blasé about it all because he knew the backlash would come so he made a jab at it. It's not that serious. Not for me anyway. SNL of all places needs to grow some guts. The days of this show being counter culture and pushing boundaries are long gone.

Crenshaw himself said he didn't need an apology. I think a lot of this was PR. Conservative media was losing their damn mind over the Crenshaw flap. Over on "The View", Meghan McCain was acting like Pete Davidson had just pledged for ISIS. I thought it was a smart and funny thing to do, especially since SNL hasn't had many political cameos in the Trump era (unless Stormy Daniels counts).

• Love 8

So, stupid question here....was the "Ariana Grande ringtone" bit planned in advance or was it a surprise? I always assumed most of the Weekend Update segments are scripted and planned to the hilt (except maybe when Leslie Jones "improvises"). But it really looked like Pete wasn't expecting that.

• Love 2