Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Sasha is a much different personality than Janel.  Part of the backlash that Janel/Val got was the showmance aspect.  She was declaring his love for him early on and they were playing kissy face and having lover spats. She even broke up with her boyfriend mid-season to really commit to the whole thing.  Their fans declared they were in love and would be together forever and ever and then it all blew up five seconds after the season ended.  Yes, the judges were very over the top in their fawning over her but it was the showmance that turned me off them completely.  

My understanding is Sasha is engaged and I'm not sure she is quite as needy as Janel? Not sure how she will come across though Gleb is going to have to go a different route with her than he did with Jana.  I don't think the over the top sexy vibe will work for her.

9 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm not 100% sure on this. Yes, his partner has the inspiring story that the fans will eat up but I think for me it depends on what the plan is for her. What is the plan for judging her versus the others if she does wheelchair dancing? Will she not be in a wheelchair for some dances? I think it's going to be a bit more unpredicatable than some previous contestants with disabilities because it's hard to know what she is going to be capable of doing right now. I also know that wheelchair dancing is a legitimate thing so I'm not trying to belittle it, just question how one judges that versus the other contestants.

She's definitely not going to be in a wheelchair the whole time, given the videos I've seen of her walking in heels/yoga-ing/doing power squats. Her recovery seems amazing. That said, we don't know if she has flare ups, days that are harder than others, any ongoing coordination issues, and how the daily training of dancing every day will affect her, so that's going to be the challenge. 

(I predict one wheelchair dance. Most memorable year - starts in a wheelchair, ends dancing full out. Calling it now.)

• Love 4

Speaking as an old person who took a lot of years to earn the rank of "old person", I haven't a clue who most of these people are and the ones I've vaguely heard of, I still have no clue about their dancing ability, performance ability or their ability to charm. Speaking as an old person, I don't watch Shark Tank and don't give a rats ass about anyone on it, so if this Barbara person is the person I think she is from some commercial I see on the cheap, antenna channels, I can't stand her. Speaking as an old person, I haven't picked up the phone to try to vote since about season 2 and again, speaking as an old person, I haven't voted on line in about 10-12 seasons, again because I don't give a rats ass about most of the contestants. I think the last person I may have voted for as one old person to another may have been Gladys Knight and I adore her and have since the 60s, which as an old person, I lived during that time. 

Now speaking to young whippersnappers, as an old person, if you are very lucky, you may survive to become an old person someday, it is a privilege that everyone doesn't get. And it happens in a flash. Today you are in high school or college and tomorrow you are an old person. So, try not to piss off the old people, because before you know it, if you are very lucky, you will be one.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

She's definitely not going to be in a wheelchair the whole time, given the videos I've seen of her walking in heels/yoga-ing/doing power squats. Her recovery seems amazing. That said, we don't know if she has flare ups, days that are harder than others, any ongoing coordination issues, and how the daily training of dancing every day will affect her, so that's going to be the challenge. 

(I predict one wheelchair dance. Most memorable year - starts in a wheelchair, ends dancing full out. Calling it now.)

Good to know, but I expect it's the stamina that could be a problem.  Training every day to walk, workout, etc. is a little different than the demands of this show.  Her recovery does sound amazing, but how does that translate into something like a jive or a quickstep? I could see her doing the slower standard dances.  But we will see. Lots of question marks this season so far.

1 hour ago, spanana said:

Good to know, but I expect it's the stamina that could be a problem.  Training every day to walk, workout, etc. is a little different than the demands of this show.  Her recovery does sound amazing, but how does that translate into something like a jive or a quickstep? I could see her doing the slower standard dances.  But we will see. Lots of question marks this season so far.

Wasn't Victoria Arlen a competitive swimmer? Her stamina should be pretty good. 

3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Speaking as an old person who took a lot of years to earn the rank of "old person", I haven't a clue who most of these people are and the ones I've vaguely heard of, I still have no clue about their dancing ability, performance ability or their ability to charm. Speaking as an old person, I don't watch Shark Tank and don't give a rats ass about anyone on it, so if this Barbara person is the person I think she is from some commercial I see on the cheap, antenna channels, I can't stand her. Speaking as an old person, I haven't picked up the phone to try to vote since about season 2 and again, speaking as an old person, I haven't voted on line in about 10-12 seasons, again because I don't give a rats ass about most of the contestants. I think the last person I may have voted for as one old person to another may have been Gladys Knight and I adore her and have since the 60s, which as an old person, I lived during that time. 

Now speaking to young whippersnappers, as an old person, if you are very lucky, you may survive to become an old person someday, it is a privilege that everyone doesn't get. And it happens in a flash. Today you are in high school or college and tomorrow you are an old person. So, try not to piss off the old people, because before you know it, if you are very lucky, you will be one.

I'm an older person too, and you sound just like me, LOL.  I happen to know three people on the cast, which is not a lot (Drew Lachey, the Property Brother and Barbara Corcoran).  But do I like any of them enough to watch the show because of them?  Not really.  I don't think the show gives a rat's ass about the older audience anymore.  They used to give us a nudge and a wink every season with a few "back in the day" stars, or at least current stars that most people in any age bracket would know.  But now it's like they don't care anymore and just zero in on people that only young people would know.  And even some of those would only be known to a very limited segment of young people, so I don't know how hard they're really trying to please anyone anymore.  It's getting to the point that I tune in only to see the pros anymore because I know all of them much better than any of the cast, and it used to be the other way around!

And yes, you are very right that getting older is a privilege and it happens in a flash.  I know people in their late 40s that don't see it coming but it's right around the corner.  You wake up one day and wonder where 15 years just went!

• Love 6

I'm a geezer too! and I have never heard of any of these people. However, I took some time to read their Wikipedia bios and I'm on Team Drew/Emma. I'm a bit worried that he'll be gangly though at 6'4"but he was a clown for a while so he may be more coordinated than most giants. Looking forward to him having a sense of humor - that means a lot on this show. Tom can't carry the whole thing, humor-wise. I'm also looking forward to watching Len, who for the first time, won't be on the judging panel in England for Strictly - Mark's mother Shirley replaced him! Exciting year for the Ballas family!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'm an older person too, and you sound just like me, LOL.  I happen to know three people on the cast, which is not a lot (Drew Lachey, the Property Brother and Barbara Corcoran).  But do I like any of them enough to watch the show because of them?  Not really.  I don't think the show gives a rat's ass about the older audience anymore.  They used to give us a nudge and a wink every season with a few "back in the day" stars, or at least current stars that most people in any age bracket would know.  But now it's like they don't care anymore and just zero in on people that only young people would know.  And even some of those would only be known to a very limited segment of young people, so I don't know how hard they're really trying to please anyone anymore.  It's getting to the point that I tune in only to see the pros anymore because I know all of them much better than any of the cast, and it used to be the other way around!

And yes, you are very right that getting older is a privilege and it happens in a flash.  I know people in their late 40s that don't see it coming but it's right around the corner.  You wake up one day and wonder where 15 years just went!

Funny, that's what my favorite uncle told me on my 18th birthday -- and he was right!

As for the show?  As always, I'm taking a "we'll see" approach.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, LizDC said:

Wasn't Victoria Arlen a competitive swimmer? Her stamina should be pretty good. 

I don't think stamina was really the right word.  I meant in the sense that while she is very much in shape and a competitive athlete, as someone who just re-learned to walk in the last few years, can her muscles take the endless hours of being on your feet and running through routines that DWTS requires?  Dancing is very different than walking.  I don't know enough about her to know, but it was just a thought.

1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

Terrell Owens is Cheryl's partner, they revealed it on GMA this morning.

Well that settles it, not interested this season.  The show has got to start casting people that aren't in it for an image make over.

2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

My first thought when I read this headline was ... "hasn't he already done this show?".

He's their last minute replacement for Cheryl?

He was definitely on the one-season ABC show The Superstars (that paired athletes and non athletes in physical challenges) and I remember him being a jerk, so we'll see how DWTS goes.

• Love 1

Gee....the only one I've heard of is the property brother and that's not from his show but from their commercials.....not a good recommendation lol.  I was bored last season and looks like this season too.  Add me to the oldies and disinterested.  

So let's review... Nick Lachey I've heard of... Mostly because he was the brother of Drew LOL I'm a 90's kid, but never heard of 98 degrees, I'm not even sure I know any of their songs. But at leas I heard the name.

I know Lindsey Stirling.

and....

that's it...

Pro dancers are bigger stars in my world than those "stars" they are dancing with...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Poor Cheryl! But at least she knows what to expect. She was Chad (Ocho Cinco) Johnson's partner and Terrell Owens is practically Chad's twin when it comes to personality and ego.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Terrell Owens is 6'3 to Cheryl's 5'3 - a one-foot height difference.  Drew Scott is 6'4 to Emma's 5'4 - a one-foot height difference.  I saw an interview clip with Drew and Emma where, after 2 practice sessions, she was asked what Drew's biggest disadvantage was. She said the one-foot height difference was the biggest problem.  I know the lady pros have had to deal with choreography for some very tall NBA athletes, but it can't be easy to do.

Twitter sleuths seem to be zeroing in on Debbie Gibson as Alan's parter/the last celeb. The DWTS Instagram account posted a guitar emoji as a hint for his partner, we know his partner is blonde, and they've tracked down pictures of her carrying the bag and wearing the scrunchie he posted as a hint a week or so ago.

Could be a fun one! I hope she does a dance to her smash hit, "Let's Go To The Mall"

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Could be a fun one! I hope she does a dance to her smash hit, "Let's Go To The Mall"

My first reaction was "didn't she sing "Let's Go To The Mall"?" ... until I realized that, no, that was Robin Sparkles.

I'm not sure I can actually name a Debbie Gibson song.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, McManda said:

My first reaction was "didn't she sing "Let's Go To The Mall"?" ... until I realized that, no, that was Robin Sparkles.

I'm not sure I can actually name a Debbie Gibson song.

I think Only In My Dreams was the big one? I'm a little too young for her, but I watched A LOT of Pop Up Video in middle school while I did my homework and got a decent background in 80s pop culture ;) 

In retrospect, Tiffany's music aged better. (I Think We're Alone Now is a CLASSIC while this one is just, "oh yeah, I think I've heard that?" But hardcore influence for Robin Sparkles.)

32 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

In retrospect, Tiffany's music aged better. (I Think We're Alone Now is a CLASSIC while this one is just, "oh yeah, I think I've heard that?" But hardcore influence for Robin Sparkles.)

Haha, yep, my reaction watching that music video was "oh yeah, this sounds kinda familiar. I might have heard this chorus once."

It definitely reminded me of "Sand Castles in the Sand" though, so I understand now why I confused Debbie Gibson and Robin Sparkles. ;)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

So let's review... Nick Lachey I've heard of... Mostly because he was the brother of Drew LOL I'm a 90's kid, but never heard of 98 degrees, I'm not even sure I know any of their songs. But at leas I heard the name.

I know Lindsey Stirling.

and....

that's it...

Pro dancers are bigger stars in my world than those "stars" they are dancing with...

Some of 98 Degrees songs were:

I Do (Cherish You)

Invisible Man

Give Me One More Night (Una Noche)* 

*Thats their biggest hit.

They never reached the popularity of N'SYNC or Backstreet Boys. I live in Cincinnati and Nick and Drew are big local celebrities and own a restaurant here. I graduated HS in 1997 and was on a boyband kick in the late 90s - early 2000s. 

Nick was also married to Jessica Simpson and they had their own reality show on MTV for a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, TotalHellion said:

I Do (Cherish You)

Invisible Man

Give Me One More Night (Una Noche)* 

*Thats their biggest hit.

Nooooo, Hardest Thing was their biggest 

(it's the hardest thing I've ever had to dooooooooooo, to turn around and walk away and say that I don't love you....)

• Love 8

Now that the cast is GMA official, snap personal rankings:

1.) Lindsey & Mark: Much like Paige was, Lindsey is someone who I've wanted to dance for a few seasons so this is beyond awesome.

2.) Frankie & Witney: From the where are they now? files. I hope he can dance a little, and I hope Witney and him mesh well personality wise.

3.) Debbie & Alan: Finally we get to see if Alan can live up to the hype. He might've got an absolute dream of a first partner.

4.) Nikki & Artem: More because she's not a typical Artem partner. I also thought she was charming on an episode of Ridiculousness back in the day (random af, I know)

5.) Victoria & Val: Just to see how she does. It's a unique story and set of circumstances for someone attempting a televised dancing competition that's for sure.

6.) Terrell Owens & Cheryl: He's a polarizing guy, sometimes he comes across genuine and charming...other times he's a whiny, overdramatic ass. So we shall see.

7.) Nick/Peta & Vanessa/Maks (tie): Eh, I think they'll be pleasant. Even with the married and competing hook, they just feel very middle of the road.

9.) Jordan & Lindsay: It pains me to have Lindsay this low, but I know absolutely nothing about this kid. So hopefully he makes a good first impression.

10.) Drew & Emma: My only exposure to the Property Bros are those annoying Dish or Direct commercials and an appearance or two on Rachael Ray. If anybody might rocket up my rankings it's probably these guys.

11.) Derek & Sharna: Zzzzzzzz. Sharna will have to hustle to avoid matching her worst ever showing (out 2nd with Tavis Smiley)...

12.) Sasha & Gleb: Gleb is just weird and too desperate in his choreo. Didn't get sucked into PLL, so when the rumors started a few days ago I had to google image what this Sasha person looked like.

13. Barbara & Keo: Go away Keo, you've had like 7 chances. It's not happening. Go away weird Shark Tank lady. My vote for first out even though I know the two other ST people did reasonably well...

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't deny he'd go back to the NFL if they will take him.  Right now his image as a brat doesn't really endear him to any franchise. https://www.thoughtco.com/terrell-owens-1335986 

I always thought he was a douche when he was with Philly & Dallas.  Then....he came here to play one year for my Buffalo Bills and I totally changed my opinion of him.  The fans here really embraced him ....he couldn't believe that when he arrived at like midnight and came down elevator at airport that there was a huge crowd of cheering fans to greet him.  To me, he really came across as more down to earth while he was here.  He also did a reality show with his agent/best friend for a season or two (I think they are estranged now) where he could come off as a brat, idk, there is something about him that I just really like.  And so glad he is paired with Cheryl!  I'm gonna watch because of TO and Cheryl.

1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Now that the cast is GMA official, snap personal rankings:

Snap rankings is my favorite game. My predictions: 

Final Four

• Jordan & Lindsay: He's adorable, charming, and can move, and is friends with Lin Manuel-Miranda who can rally his Hamilfans for him. He's like a baby Usher. Sometimes the Disney kids annoy me, but I think he's on a stardom track, and I think will be great. 
  • Lindsey & Mark: Mark choreography + Lindsey natural talent, gonna be great. She seems likable as well. 
  • Victoria & Val: Her story is compelling, I like her personality from what I've seen so far. I'm excited for them. 
  • Drew & Emma?: Slightly more questionable on this one. I feel like there's a lot of overlap in people who loooooove the property brothers and watch DWTS. He could be pretty awkward though. 

Tier 2

• Nikki & Artem: I don't know anything about her. But people love the WWE. And one of the only things I do know about her is she's (dating? married?) to John Cena, and people love him. 
  • Debbie & Alan, Frankie & Witney: Both of these nostalgia contestants could be great, I could also see them potentially being awkward (more with Frankie than Debbie), or not connecting with the audience and dropping sooner. 
  • TO & Cheryl?: He seems polarizing. If he's an AB type, I'm not excited, if he shows up with charm and work ethic he could be bumped higher

Boring Middle of Packers: 

• Nick & Peta, Vanessa & Maks: I think the marrieds will get lost in this cast. They'll hang around for a bit, but can't see them
  • Sasha & Gleb: She seems really likable and chill. This could work against her if she comes off too laid back.

Bottoms: 

• Derek & Sharna: Any other season might have had a chance, but I think he'll get lost
  • Barbara & Keo: Sorry Keo. I don't know her, but can't see her sticking around that long. (Still not the worst that has ever been cast, but in this group? I can't see it.) 

(It's very confusing to keep track of having celebrity Dereks, Sashas, and Lindseys) 

• Love 1

just a silly little note, but seeing the names on the list, Lindsey & Mark, my mind went to somewhere that old people might go, Mark Lindsay who sang lead with Paul Revere & the Raiders back in the 60s and 70s, he's 75 now, but he used to be in fine shape, I wouldn't mind seeing him on this show.

• Love 3

After seeing them all on GMA together being introduced and interviewed, Derek Fisher is my tentative dark horse for first elimination. Looked like he had zero rhythm and personality when interviewed. Almost as if he was bored to be there. Sharna will have to work some magic to keep them in the game. Nikki Bella came off well but might be in trouble if she can't dance. Simply because I can't see many general DWTS fans knowing who she is and while her fanbase is large, it's also very internationally skewed which will be a problem as you can't vote outside the US. We all know the loud, confident women with big "assets" don't last long on this show compared to the peppy ultra happy young girls. In other news I thought Debbie Gibson looked great, gave me Lea Thompson vibes. 

Here are the ABC press videos: http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/videos/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I like this cast and with the exception of Victoria I had heard of everyone without a need for google. Doesn't mean I know a lot about some of them but I knew who they were as performers/celebs.  I have seen way worse casts than this over the years and far less known.  Also far more controversial.

The other thing I like about this cast is right now I don't see an obvious winner. I think Lindsay/Mark and Jordan/Lindsay will probably be the frontrunners on a skill level and seem the most "ringery" for those that care about that sort of thing, but that does't guarantee them a win. Everyone else is sort of this mish mash of wait and see with pros and cons.

So in that sense, I can't predict right now. I'd be decently shocked if Jordan didn't make the finals, not necessarily win.  He has enough of a fanbase, Lindsay is clever with choreo, he's a performer, etc. I don't think he will get lost the way Heather did last season.  He's also seen as a rising star in a way that Heather wasn't.

Victoria has the story of course, which people will love.  But she seems nice and normal and lovely, but sort of low key every day regular person. I'm also not sure if she will have the skill.  She clearly has no problem moving and can jump and that sort of thing, but understandably her movement seems a little awkward (in watching the B roll footage from the photoshoot).  I could potentially see her making a final, but I don't think she will win.

Beyond that I just don't know.  Vanessa will be annoying if every other word is about her being a mommy, as it was in the above linked vids.  Debbie I think will need some coddling, but I want to like her.

Also if we're voting in a Tiffany versus Debbie Gibson battle, I will always vote Debbie.  Did Tiffany have songs besides "I Think We're Alone Now", which was really a cover? Debbie at least had multiple hits in addition to writing her own stuff.  It's dated but the stuff was a pretty big hit at the time.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, spanana said:

Did Tiffany have songs besides "I Think We're Alone Now", which was really a cover?

....and it was nowhere as good as Tommy James and the Shondell's versus which was the original!!!(OK, I am old but we did have good music in the 60's which is probably why so many have been covered!!!)

As for the cast, I am interested in how Drew will do...I think he can move but there is a foot difference in height! And I am glad Mark is back! I missed him.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, spanana said:

Victoria has the story of course, which people will love.  But she seems nice and normal and lovely, but sort of low key every day regular person. I'm also not sure if she will have the skill.  She clearly has no problem moving and can jump and that sort of thing, but understandably her movement seems a little awkward (in watching the B roll footage from the photoshoot).  I could potentially see her making a final, but I don't think she will win.

Huh, according to this interview she still can't feel her legs and feet. I'll be interested to see what they do, that's definitely going to be a huge challenge. (And I'm more amazed at how well she does move, given that fact.) 

2 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Huh, according to this interview she still can't feel her legs and feet. I'll be interested to see what they do, that's definitely going to be a huge challenge. (And I'm more amazed at how well she does move, given that fact.) 

This show loves a dark horse/overcoming odds story. I'm hoping for an enjoyable season. 

5 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I like this cast and with the exception of Victoria I had heard of everyone without a need for google. Doesn't mean I know a lot about some of them but I knew who they were as performers/celebs.  I have seen way worse casts than this over the years and far less known.  Also far more controversial.

The other thing I like about this cast is right now I don't see an obvious winner.

Agreed!  So far, the lack of controversy and accusations of "ringer!" are refreshing.  It looks like it may be one of the more enjoyable seasons in recent memory. 

• Love 1

Just gotta say - I"m pretty damn old and I knew most of these people.  It's called following current events, lol.  I"ve never liked reruns, of music, movies, etc.  I like to hear today's music, whatever year it happens to be, and watch new shows, movies, etc.  

So I'm on the Lindsey Sterling train until it reaches the station.  Love, love, love her.  Like others here, I think Jordan will make finals.  And I'll give Drew the third spot for now, unless he proves to be a clod.  He's got the fan base to move him far up the line even if no dance talent.  

The rest can go in any order although I think Barbara will last longer than most here think.  I predict Nick will outlast his wife based on fan base alone.  I think/hope Victoria's personal story will not carry her farther than her dance ability should.  

Judging by #DancingABC instagram page and couples pics the most popular is Sasha from PLL (over 70.0000 likes&over 2000 comemnts)  tagging behind her  (with 50.000 likes&500 comments) is Nick then come all the rest  with between 20-15.000 likes).

PLL fandome is HUGE all around the world that will take sasha far even if she can't dance but I think she at least has rythem since both her parents are dancers

Edited by moni

Lindsey Sterling and Jordan are definitely ringer-y as compared to everyone else.  Not that I care, but I guess after last season and the outrage about Heather maybe people just don't care since their experience doesn't match up to hers? Or maybe people finally got it through the heads that ringers often don't win, and in Heather's case, didn't even make it near a finals.

I think Lindsey/Mark will do some incredible things. My only initial concern is in the ABC press clips she was already somewhat starting on setting them up as the quirky out of the box pair, which maybe is true to some degree, and maybe she was just answering how TPTB were pushing her to answer. She's not wholly wrong, but a whole season of look how wild and crazy and different we are could be annoying.

I'm curious about Sasha, partly because of Gleb, partly because she's the daughter of professional dancers. Based on what she said, she doesn't have any real experience outside of ballet lessons at around 3 years old.

Victoria is also a wildcard because while I see some automatically pegging her as finalist, I think it's going to somewhat depend on her ability.  Her story is amazing so all due respect in the world to her, but people generally don't win DWTS on their story alone.  Make it to the finals, maybe.  While the best dancer rarely wins, the winner USUALLY is someone who has a mix of some natural ability and story.  They might not be the best dancer, but they are a good dancer who is good enough to justify a win on top of their connection to the audience.  I've said many times that I think Noah would have won his season if he was just a bit better or able to do more.  He got to 3rd largely based on his story and his personality, but he wasn't good enough to justify the win.  Amy Purdy is a different story all together because she was never going to overtake the juggernaut that was Maksyl.  I guess someone might argue Nyle won on his story/personality and he wasn't the best dancer, and while true he wasn't the best dancer, I think he was good enough to marry the two sides of a DWTS winner--emotional appeal to fans plus dance ability.  So I guess where I'm at with Victoria is it will greatly depend on what she turns out every week.  If she turns out good to great dances every week then she will be in the finals and may even win because her story is that powerful.  If she's not that good, then I'm calling 3rd/4th at best.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, spanana said:

...While the best dancer rarely wins, the winner USUALLY is someone who has a mix of some natural ability and story.  They might not be the best dancer, but they are a good dancer who is good enough to justify a win on top of their connection to the audience.  I've said many times that I think Noah would have won his season if he was just a bit better or able to do more.  He got to 3rd largely based on his story and his personality, but he wasn't good enough to justify the win.  Amy Purdy is a different story all together because she was never going to overtake the juggernaut that was Maksyl.  I guess someone might argue Nyle won on his story/personality and he wasn't the best dancer, and while true he wasn't the best dancer, I think he was good enough to marry the two sides of a DWTS winner--emotional appeal to fans plus dance ability.  So I guess where I'm at with Victoria is it will greatly depend on what she turns out every week.  If she turns out good to great dances every week then she will be in the finals and may even win because her story is that powerful.  If she's not that good, then I'm calling 3rd/4th at best.

I agree. I think there are four factors that go into determining the winner: a reasonable amount of dance ability, entertaining performances, a likable personality/compelling story, and an inherent fanbase. Whoever wins may not be the very top in all four categories, but ranks high in all four. Someone who ranks really high in one area but really low in another ends up lasting longer than they "should" and bumping out the consistently upper-middle who get lost in the pack.

Edited by majormama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spanana said:

So I guess where I'm at with Victoria is it will greatly depend on what she turns out every week.  If she turns out good to great dances every week then she will be in the finals and may even win because her story is that powerful.  If she's not that good, then I'm calling 3rd/4th at best.

I definitely agree with this. I'm making half-blind speculation based on what I've seen so far of her personality (likable and hardworking) and how she moves that she's got Amy Purdy potential. My guess for her being in the finals is contingent upon her and Val turning out some impressive dances, I'm just guessing that they will. If they don't deliver on that and she's super awkward, my guess will change that she might ride a Val popularity bump to 5th or 6th.

10 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I definitely agree with this. I'm making half-blind speculation based on what I've seen so far of her personality (likable and hardworking) and how she moves that she's got Amy Purdy potential. My guess for her being in the finals is contingent upon her and Val turning out some impressive dances, I'm just guessing that they will. If they don't deliver on that and she's super awkward, my guess will change that she might ride a Val popularity bump to 5th or 6th.

It also would require impressive choreography from Val in order to know what to showcase and what to hide and how to do so.  I don't remember my pre-season notion of Amy, but I actually got the impression that Victoria was a bit of an awkward mover. Not so much when she was introduced, but there was some B roll footage of the celebs at the photoshoots and while she can move and was able kick and jump, it wasn't particularly graceful.  Now to be fair to her, she's an athlete and she will work hard and she probably had barely even started rehearsals as yet.  Also it's 100% understandable that she isn't particularly graceful considering it's a miracle she is even walking.  But in a sense, I think it's also going to be up to Val and how Val manages to showcase her.  The thing about Amy Purdy was she had Derek who is extremely clever at packaging his celebs.  Val isn't bad at packaging his celebs either but this is a new challenge for him, so we will see.  Often he has the dancers coming in with a fairly high amount of skill.

• Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 9:13 AM, moni said:

Judging by #DancingABC instagram page and couples pics the most popular is Sasha from PLL (over 70.0000 likes&over 2000 comemnts)  tagging behind her  (with 50.000 likes&500 comments) is Nick then come all the rest  with between 20-15.000 likes).

PLL fandome is HUGE all around the world that will take sasha far even if she can't dance but I think she at least has rythem since both her parents are dancers

Go a little further. The first photo of Drew & Emma after his announcement has 93.5k likes, Emma's video just before that has 245k! And Mark's video has 188k likes. 

I think this cast seems really pleasant for the most part. (-: At least so far no one stands out as really poisonous, that's something. And I will say this: I thought Keo wasn't ready the first time around and should have started in the troupe. But he was great with Charo, not everyone would have been good-natured enough to make it a pleasant experience for everyone involved. He pulled it off. And he and Barbara come across rather well so far as well.

• Love 1

Barbara also made it sound like she requested Keo in one of her interviews. Not sure if she really did or how seriously the producers take those requests, but she wanted Keo.  Also if it's too be believed, Jordan requested Lindsay (or made it clear she was his preference) and Frankie wanted Witney.  Though I think the latter kind of was a given as Frankie is so short.

I know Sasha and Nick have cha chas week one.  Peta posted a few insta vids from this morning's rehearsal and while they aren't seriously dancing full out, Nick looks coordinated enough and like he's able to pick up general choreography without too much of an issue.  I would expect Nick's issue to be fluidity and stiffness, but we'll see.