Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I will own that Brittany and Brandon's Phantom of the Opera Paso was one of my favourite dances ever on this show but I don't see the appeal of this at all. Celebrity kids and kids of celebrities? The first is okay, though I imagine it'll be Disney Channel kids I don't recognize. The second, why? Kids of celebrities who are famous for nothing else are my least favourite type of celebrity. Plus, I worry about kid elimination shows. I remember that girl from the X-Factor and her live TV breakdown. If this isn't taped, yikes but if it is then you lose out on the voting and the audience engagement this show seems to love.

Also I love that Brittany and Brandon eventually got to be on DWTS for real later on, so their journey came full circle. 

I think kids versions of taped competitions work okay, like Masterchef Junior, because they are clearly edited.  So while there are tears, you can also wait for the kid to get comforted off camera by their parents and etc. and then go back and film an interview when they are in a better mood and ready to talk.  Or if they have a prolonged meltdown, just don't use all of the footage and take what you need.  Also Masterchef Jr. in particular does their eliminations two at a time so no kid has to walk out on their own, which helps.

I think X-Factor, in its first season I believe, is the prime example of doing it wrong.  I thought more than one young kid had a meltdown that season, live for all the world to watch. Though if this DWTS show is kids who are celebs, they probably already have more media training in their little fingers than a lot of the X Factor kids.  I expect it will just be Nick/Disney kids.

I remember season 20 when 14 year old Willow got eliminated. You could see her starting to break down when it went down to her and Rumer Willis and it became clear she was going home. Luckily she had Mark there who was brilliant in basically deflecting the attention from her tears, doing the talking when they walked over to Tom and Erin after they were eliminated and comforting her at the end. I can definately see it becoming X Factor style uncomfortable if they aired the show live. The Jr pros wouldn't have a clue what to do. They could easily break down and start crying themselves.

(edited)

The fact that the "adult" DWTS has already cast two 14 year old Stars (Willow and Hayes) makes me wonder what the upper the age limit will end up being.

I'll just throw out a couple of random names for now lol. Bindi Irwin's younger brother (Robert), and the girl (Peyton Elizabeth Lee) from the new Disney series Andi Mack would make a lot of sense as cast members...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Not here for this, I'm afraid. I didn't watch SYTYCD when it went to the kids' season, and I won't be bothered with this either.  I'm sure a lot of them will be cute and talented, but I prefer to watch adults who fully own (a) their consent to have their triumphs and embarrassments televised and (b) a mature sense of themselves that can be presented (or not) through movement.

• Love 1
(edited)

That seems to contradict what Tom Bergeron has posted on his own twitter today (along with Kristyn Burtt, who's is pretty plugged in all thing DWTS). It's looking like Spring of '18 will be doubling up with S26, and the Junior's spinoff.

Depending on how large the cast is, the Junior show might just be an hour long...seems a bit of overkill to pair them up on the same though.

**Now it's coming out that S25 will be Fall '17, and S26 won't be till Fall '18. Juniors has the spring all to itself apparently. No Tom as a host either. 

That's a huge mistake if Tom isn't hosting. Even the Bachelor which has a million different spinoffs keeps Chris Harrison as an ever present to give the shows some continuity. I can't see long time viewers getting this at all.

2 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

That's a huge mistake if Tom isn't hosting. Even the Bachelor which has a million different spinoffs keeps Chris Harrison as an ever present to give the shows some continuity. I can't see long time viewers getting this at all.

Tom said on Twitter tonight he is not involved with the new show. I give it one season and they'll be lucky if it doesn't bring regular DWTS down with it as well.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Tom said on Twitter tonight he is not involved with the new show. I give it one season and they'll be lucky if it doesn't bring regular DWTS down with it as well.

Agreed. I'm sure they'll do their best with casting kids who appeal to potential viewers (Robert Irwin is probably a given) and keep the pros involved as much as possible but I can't see it taking off. One and done.

18 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Agreed. I'm sure they'll do their best with casting kids who appeal to potential viewers (Robert Irwin is probably a given) and keep the pros involved as much as possible but I can't see it taking off. One and done.

I also don't see people investing in DWTS if it's only on once a year. That's too long between seasons and people will find other things to watch and get invested in that will still be on after Thanksgiving. Not to mention, the pros will have to find other work, as they'll be losing half their income, as will the judges and Tom (Erin at least has her $55 million settlement plus the NFL).

6 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The fact that the "adult" DWTS has already cast two 14 year old Stars (Willow and Hayes) makes me wonder what the upper the age limit will end up being.

I'll just throw out a couple of random names for now lol. Bindi Irwin's younger brother (Robert), and the girl (Peyton Elizabeth Lee) from the new Disney series Andi Mack would make a lot of sense as cast members...

Please please please tell me that this isn't a spin-off/reboot/whatever the fuck they call it now of my beloved The Secret World of Alex Mack. Disney, why you gotta do me like that?

3 hours ago, classique said:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/normani-kordei-responds-to-bonner-boltons-date-invitation-w482495

According to ET and Us Weekly, Normani said yes to going out on a date with Bonner.

ETA ET has quotes from Normani and Val.

Well, what else could she say? It's the same reason why I hate seeing public proposals and asking someone to prom videos. There's a definite pressure to say yes when hundreds/thousands/millions of people are waiting to hear the answer. 

• Love 2
(edited)

No, sadly that's not the case. Andi Mack is the new, "edgy" Disney show with a spunky, Asian-American pre teen who gets thrown for a Lifetime movie loop when she learns that her globetrotting, super hip "older sister" is in fact her real biological mom....while the "mom and dad" who've been raising her are actually her grandparents.

Middle School drama is also heavily featured...

10 hours ago, Venee said:

That may be smart of her. Clearly somebody was voting for Bonner, maybe she can grab some of those votes!

Actually he was a lot less annoying once he got eliminated. He said the show made him look bad, and I actually believe him. This is the first season where I've heard so many contestants talk smack about the show.

It's a wonder if anyone signs up next season.

• Love 4
(edited)

Press Release a little late this week:

On MONDAY, MAY 22 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EDT), the three finalists will each perform two dances - a Redemption Style dance (Viennese waltz or quickstep), and a Freestyle dance - one of the biggest competitive dances of the season.

ABC and "Dancing with the Stars" continue to bring innovation to the dance floor with a unique companion experience, a LIVE multi-camera 360 degree/VR internet stream from the set of Monday's episode. Fans can have their own front-row seat for the event, viewable on desktop and mobile devices via Facebook and YouTube, as well as other popular social VR platforms. All of the action will be captured using breakthrough technology of Nokia's OZO+ cameras and live streamed direct from the "Dancing with the Stars" set with OZO Live.

The couples will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):

Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater
Redemption Style: Viennese Waltz - "Dark Times" by The Weeknd featuring Ed Sheeran
Freestyle: "Let's Go"/"Uptown Funk" (Medley) from Drumline/Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars

Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Redemption Style: Quickstep - "Check It Out" by Oh the Larceny
Freestyle: "What the World Needs Now is Love" by Andra Day

David Ross & Lindsay Arnold
Redemption Style: Viennese Waltz - "Let's Hurt Tonight" by OneRepublic
Freestyle: "It Takes Two"/"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (Medley) by Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock/Ronnie Neuman

There will not be an elimination at the end of the night, and the three remaining couples will go on to vie for the coveted Mirrorball.

You can read the whole thing here http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-Season-Finale-on-May-22-23-on-ABC-20170519  including what's planned for Tuesday.

Notable: viewer votes and judges' points from May 15 AND May 22 will be combined along with points from Tuesday's 24-hour fusion dance will be used to determine the winner.

Edited by Uke
On 5/16/2017 at 7:15 PM, Toonces464 said:

I also don't see people investing in DWTS if it's only on once a year. That's too long between seasons and people will find other things to watch and get invested in that will still be on after Thanksgiving. Not to mention, the pros will have to find other work, as they'll be losing half their income, as will the judges and Tom (Erin at least has her $55 million settlement plus the NFL).

That's never been a problem for any of the other versions of DWTS that only air once a year.  They're all still as popular as ever in their own countries (and Strictly Come Dancing has a rather strong following even outside the UK).

• Love 1

I guess the DWTS family was split this weekend. 

Peta & Maks got married this weekend in NY. As well as Julianne Hough and her fiancee Brooks Laich got married in Idaho.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/08/peta-murgatroyd-maksim-chmerkovskiy-wedding/

The Dancing With the Stars pros tied the knot Saturday, July 8, at Oheka Castle in Long Island, New York

Chmerkovskiy’s brother and fellow DWTS pro Val Chmerkovskiy served as best man. Other DWTS wedding guests included Tony Dovolani, Rumer Willis, Sharna Burgess — all of whom were in the wedding party — Jenna Johnson, Nyle DiMarco and Witney Carson.

nyleinsta4.png?w=360

nylesnap.png?w=750

Julianne - http://people.com/celebrity/julianne-hough-is-married-the-dwts-judge-weds-nhl-star-brooks-laich-in-an-elegant-outdoor-idaho-ceremony/

The Dancing With the Stars judge married NHL star Brooks Laich in an intimate, outdoor wedding on Saturday near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. The couple said their vows in front of more than 200 guests including family and close friends. 

The wedding party included Hough’s brother Derek Hough, who served as a groomsman. Their two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Lexi and Harley, also sported flowered collars for the ceremony and served as ring bearers.

“I’ve never seen a man look at a woman like that when they said ‘I Do,'” says guest and close friend Nina Dobrev. “It took my breath away.”

Other notable guests included Aaron Paul and DWTS pro Mark Ballas.

julianne-hough6.jpg?w=1753

• Love 1

So who' wedding was the F U to the other?  I would be totally pissed if my equally visible co-worker chose the same wedding weekend as I did.  Heck. I was mad my cousin chose a wedding day 3 weeks before mine.

• Love 1
(edited)

The word is that Julianne had her wedding date picked first but didn't publicize it since I'm guessing most of the other DWTS people weren't invited anyway, so when Maks and Peta picked their weekend, they didn't know that's when Julianne's wedding was. Could be bullshit but I can buy it. Plus Maks and Peta got married at a location that looks fairly popular and probably is booked months in advance. So it is possible this was the weekend that they could get and that worked best for them and everyone involved. I know they initially planned to get married earlier in the year, I want to say maybe January, but changed their mind when Peta found out she was pregnant.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal and I think playing to this whole Chmerkovsky vs. Hough war that viewers of the show want to create, they're the ones making this more of a thing and/or story than it is. Like I said, I doubt Julianne would have invited most of the DWTS people who were invited to Maks/Peta's wedding anyway and vice versa. I maybe could see Mark being the one who would have been invited to both but other than that, by all accounts it seemed Julianne kept her wedding just her family and close friends and Mark was the only one from the show there. Oh right I guess Hayley was there too since she's Derek's girlfriend.

Maks and Peta had Sharna, Val and Tony who were all obvious and of course Jenna and I think Kym and Robert were there as well. But again most of the DWTS people who were there were people that in my opinion are probably closer to Maks and Peta and likely weren't going to be at Julianne's wedding anyway. Doesn't seem like Witney or Lindsay were at either wedding.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maks and Peta also had Rumer.  Which makes sense as she was Vals partner. And I agree I think it is an interesting tidbit that the couples each had the same wedding date, but I also agree that more Dwts people would attend Maks and Peta, more than Julianne. At least with the cast of professionals on the show now, she doesn't seem that close to the other professionals on the show. 

And Yeah mark may have been the only who got an invitation to both but he would have always chosen Juliannes. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
19 hours ago, Artsda said:

Other notable guests included Aaron Paul 

That's the only name (at either wedding) that made me gasp in surprise.  I didn't know Julianne and Aaron were friends, but google shows me he was also at her engagement party in Sept 2015.   Unlike any of the celebrity pros, I'm actually a fan of Aaron Paul, so I contend that whichever of the two weddings he attended was the better one. 

5 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

That's the only name (at either wedding) that made me gasp in surprise.  I didn't know Julianne and Aaron were friends, but google shows me he was also at her engagement party in Sept 2015.   Unlike any of the celebrity pros, I'm actually a fan of Aaron Paul, so I contend that whichever of the two weddings he attended was the better one. 

She and Derek have been friends with Aaron for years. I think they met through Nina Dobrev who is one of Julianne's closest friends and who Derek dated for a minute before she dumped him because he was merely a rebound for her after her long-term relationship ended (yes I had to add the last part because it always amuses me). 

Julianne is like, besties, with Aaron Paul's wife. They turn up all the time at her backyard pool parties which I have seen a bunch of since I followed her on Instagram.

I really don't think the double booked day mattered all that much to each group, they don't  seem to have a lot of overlapping friends. (If it were say Val and Derek, it would be a different story, especially if both were to marry the people they are currently dating.) Of everyone invited maaaaybe Sasha and Emma would have been invited to both (they were at Julianne's). A ton of people didn't go to either.

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

The word is that Julianne had her wedding date picked first but didn't publicize it since I'm guessing most of the other DWTS people weren't invited anyway, so when Maks and Peta picked their weekend, they didn't know that's when Julianne's wedding was. Could be bullshit but I can buy it. Plus Maks and Peta got married at a location that looks fairly popular and probably is booked months in advance. So it is possible this was the weekend that they could get and that worked best for them and everyone involved. I know they initially planned to get married earlier in the year, I want to say maybe January, but changed their mind when Peta found out she was pregnant.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal and I think playing to this whole Chmerkovsky vs. Hough war that viewers of the show want to create, they're the ones making this more of a thing and/or story than it is. Like I said, I doubt Julianne would have invited most of the DWTS people who were invited to Maks/Peta's wedding anyway and vice versa. I maybe could see Mark being the one who would have been invited to both but other than that, by all accounts it seemed Julianne kept her wedding just her family and close friends and Mark was the only one from the show there. Oh right I guess Hayley was there too since she's Derek's girlfriend.

Maks and Peta had Sharna, Val and Tony who were all obvious and of course Jenna and I think Kym and Robert were there as well. But again most of the DWTS people who were there were people that in my opinion are probably closer to Maks and Peta and likely weren't going to be at Julianne's wedding anyway. Doesn't seem like Witney or Lindsay were at either wedding.

Witney was at Maks and Peta's. 

8 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Witney was at Maks and Peta's. 

I don't think so. She was posting ig stories from home all night. One of the magazines posted some videos from a fan account "witneycarson1" who was reposting other people's videos, which probably lead to the confusion.

1 minute ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I don't think so. She was posting ig stories from home all night. One of the magazines posted some videos from a fan account "witneycarson1" who was reposting other people's videos, which probably lead to the confusion.

OK. I just read her name in articles. Looks like people got fooled. 

I was a bit surprised none of Maks's former partners showed up. Amber gave an interview about a week ago and said she was going but she wasn't there. I thought maybe Meryl or Heather would go. I figured Erin wouldn't because of their past relationship, same reason I figured he wasn't at hers a few weeks ago. 

• Love 1
Just now, Toonces464 said:

I was a bit surprised none of Maks's former partners showed up. Amber gave an interview about a week ago and said she was going but she wasn't there. I thought maybe Meryl or Heather would go. I figured Erin wouldn't because of their past relationship, same reason I figured he wasn't at hers a few weeks ago. 

That actually didn't surprise me at all. With Amber, I guess there could be weirdness with the whole her and Val thing. Meryl brings up that awkwardness of that showmance and no need to open up that pandora's box again after the shippers seemed to have finally moved on. I don't get the feeling he and Heather got that close, he and Kirstie stopped being friends because of his friendship with Leah Remini because Kirstie is a Scientologist and well to be honest, I doubt many other former partners liked him that much. I did see that Nyle was there.

16 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

Heather probably didn't go because she just started doing the DWTS tour last night and was probably rehearsing.

I am surprised Mel B didn't go they got along well even years after.

Maks stopped following or acknowledging Mel B a few years ago.

I can't say that I would invite a former co-worker, that I only knew for a few months, to my wedding.  But maybe that is just me.

Of course, I have never bought in to the whole thing about pros staying in close touch with former partners.  Maybe one or two that they have particularly bonded with; but by and large they probably don't give each other much thought (good or bad) after a few months.   Life goes on.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I can't say that I would invite a former co-worker, that I only knew for a few months, to my wedding.  But maybe that is just me.

Of course, I have never bought in to the whole thing about pros staying in close touch with former partners.  Maybe one or two that they have particularly bonded with; but by and large they probably don't give each other much thought (good or bad) after a few months.   Life goes on.

I think it depends on the pro. In particular, Tony, Val and Karina seem to have stayed close with a number of their partners. 

4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I think it's probably a cross between coworkers and, like, summer camp friends. You're together so much, for such an intense period of time, that these really intense relationships can form. But those may or may not last once camp is over, and you get back to your real life. I'm not surprised a lot of them fade, but I definitely see how it can bond you for the long term as well. It is always kinda nice when the friendships stick around. 

(I'm a little surprised Alfonso didn't turn up at all of the weddings somehow, bending space and time, whether anyone wanted him there or not ;P )

• Love 6
2 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

(I'm a little surprised Alfonso didn't turn up at all of the weddings somehow, bending space and time, whether anyone wanted him there or not ;P )

Lol! I love me some Alfonso but this is hilarious!

Emmy noms are out. Derek in for his featured performance (the tap dance/drumming one) and Mandy for a few of her openers (the Griffiths Park one and the Christmas finale)

And then a bunch of technical ones (costumes, makeup, lighting) No Tom this year. 

15 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Post of the summer LOL

• Love 2

Non-choreography Emmy nominations for DWTS:

OUTSTANDING COSTUMES FOR VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY PROGRAMMING

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SERIES

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL DIRECTION, CAMERAWORK, VIDEO CONTROL FOR A SERIES

On 7/27/2017 at 0:59 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Rumors going around the Inter-net about DWTS wanting to sign up Sean Spicer, aka "Spicey", for next season!  Oh Good Grief!

I was just about to have lunch, but I think my appetite just went bye-bye.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I wouldn't mind as long as they invite Melissa McCarthy too!

Now I am picturing Melissa McCarthy doing an SNL skit as Sean Spicer on DWTS taking the judge's comments and putting a Spicey spin on them, and I REALLY hope Sean Spicer gets cast, LOL.

• Love 3

A bit late to the wedding conversation, but I saw Candace Cameron Bure was at Maks and Peta's wedding and found that odd since she was Mark's partner and seems to be on good terms with him (even posting about the release of his album recently). Was she close to Maks or Peta? And did any of the judges or Tom attend either wedding? 

19 hours ago, Victura said:

A bit late to the wedding conversation, but I saw Candace Cameron Bure was at Maks and Peta's wedding and found that odd since she was Mark's partner and seems to be on good terms with him (even posting about the release of his album recently). Was she close to Maks or Peta? And did any of the judges or Tom attend either wedding? 

I thought it was so weird too, regardless of Maks and Val doing a guest appearance on Fuller House. Maks did a guest appearance on General Hospital but I didn't see any of the GH cast at the wedding. I'm thinking she was just a famous person who was willing to come.........that seemed important to Maks and Peta and there weren't too many of those. 

• Love 2