Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

What with the show ending and people doing the media rounds I thought there could be a discussion thread here.

This has to be the strangest article about DWTS I've seen in a while:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkotter/2014/05/21/leadership-lessons-from-dancing-with-the-stars/

Also, did anyone else catch Meryl and Maks on Wendy Williams show today?  If not, consider yourself lucky.  Wendy spent the whole interview yakking and not letting anyone get a word in, implying Meryl shouldn't have been on the show because she's a skater, that Maks was the star of the show, asked flat out if they were sleeping together, and said ALM was a great guest judge. 

Maks held his temper (even Meryl looked really uncomfortable) but their eyes looked royally pissed when that segment was over.

• Love 4

What with the show ending and people doing the media rounds I thought there could be a discussion thread here.

This has to be the strangest article about DWTS I've seen in a while:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkotter/2014/05/21/leadership-lessons-from-dancing-with-the-stars/

Also, did anyone else catch Meryl and Maks on Wendy Williams show today?  If not, consider yourself lucky.  Wendy spent the whole interview yakking and not letting anyone get a word in, implying Meryl shouldn't have been on the show because she's a skater, that Maks was the star of the show, asked flat out if they were sleeping together, and said ALM was a great guest judge. 

Maks held his temper (even Meryl looked really uncomfortable) but their eyes looked royally pissed when that segment was over.

Wendy Williams aka Rude & Obnoxious. Can't stand her. Haven't seen it, and have no intention to. That is just plain invasive and inappropriate. Not that I would expect anything less from WW.

• Love 1

They didn't have to go on the show if they didn't like want to deal with what would be coming. Wendy was Tony's partner. Maks certainly knows enough about her and her show that if he didn't want any part of that he could have turned her down. I don't believe I've seen many winners on there before and I don't think there's a contractual obligation like GMA.

Hi! I'm new here. Anyway, I saw that, and I was cringing for them. Honestly, I'm impressed with both of them, because I would've told her off.

I get that everybody wants to address the chemistry/sexual tension, but really, they need to lay off. I like how Kelly Ripa did it; she smiled at them, said "I really like you two as a couple. That's all I'm going to say." And she left it at that. Meryl and Maks looked so much more comfortable there. They beamed, had big smiles, and hugged a little closer.

• Love 1

Wendy Williams was foul and impolite. I know everyone wanted to ask the question but plenty of other interviewers asked without being crass. Meryl seemed particularly annoyed as she should be. It's one thing for people to be asking "are you dating?" "when's the wedding?" "what's going on?" and I think Meryl and Maks  been good sports about those questions (as they should be since they set themselves up for it with all the near kisses).  But it's something else entirely to just ask "are you having sex?" Ugh. 

• Love 2
Also, did anyone else catch Meryl and Maks on Wendy Williams show today?  If not, consider yourself lucky.  Wendy spent the whole interview yakking and not letting anyone get a word in, implying Meryl shouldn't have been on the show because she's a skater, that Maks was the star of the show, asked flat out if they were sleeping together, and said ALM was a great guest judge.

Maks held his temper (even Meryl looked really uncomfortable) but their eyes looked royally pissed when that segment was over.

Excellent summary, COESpiral.  Every word out of WW's mouth was rude and obnoxious and uncomfortable for Meryl and Maks.  

They didn't have to go on the show if they didn't like want to deal with what would be coming. Wendy was Tony's partner. Maks certainly knows enough about her and her show that if he didn't want any part of that he could have turned her down. I don't believe I've seen many winners on there before and I don't think there's a contractual obligation like GMA.

Poor Meryl.  What was she doing on that show, who talked her into doing it?  I wish she had a manager/PR person who would have told her not to do it.  Whoever talked her into going on that show did her wrong, big time.  If it was Tony, then he owes her an enormous apology.

After watching the clip, I'm not surprised that WW is a fan of ALM.  Two peas in a pod.  What's surprising is that either of these rude, obnoxious harpies has an audience.  

I hope that's the last time anyone from DWTS goes onto the WW Show.  

• Love 2

TVGuide just published a great interview with Maks. My favorite part:   

You mean Boris and Oleg? Or should I say Bear?
Chmerkovskiy: Oh, my God! That was so bad! That was not meant to make TV. They kept being asked these questions about Meryl, and I was like, "Let me start talking gibberish and when I will have wasted enough time, they'll be over it." But then it became funny and people in the room were laughing. There are hours and hours of footage of me behind the scenes that if they come out, my God! They're hilarious.

Are they on the level of "sex on a stick"?
Chmerkovskiy: It's on the level of "sex on a stick." I do a monologue once a day on average. I don't know where they come from. ... I came up to Tom when he was cussing in dress rehearsals and I was like, "Now you know how it feels." He was like, "This is bullsh--!" ... You have no idea in 18 seasons how much stuff there is.

I so badly want to see this unused footage. And the dress rehearsals.

• Love 7

That TV Guide interview was so self-important.  I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes before I just stopped reading it.  I thought the stuff falling out of Tony's mouth after he won was bad.  I was wrong.

• Love 2

TVGuide just published a great interview with Maks.

That's a great interview. I love when he was talking about Boris and Oleg and I agree, I would love to see the rest of the footage they have from everyone. It sounded like taking some time off was good for him. He got away from the craziness of the show and was able to grow as a person. 

I want to say a humongous thank you to the fans. They're the show. I can be brilliant, but if people don't vote, I will be gone just like Mark and Sabrina back then, which is still the most shocking elimination. They're the only reason I have the life I have now. I did a lot of work, but it wouldn't have mattered if people weren't behind me. ... There's a huge group of people out there who wanted Maks to win and I want to say thank you for sticking around, and I'm sorry. I want to apologize for not giving them this opportunity earlier. I was hardheaded and stubborn. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would've done it earlier just for them. But it's worth the wait. Sinatra said, "I did it my way," and I'm proud of it.

This was my favorite part of that interview. He acknowledged that the way he acted in the past wasn't right and is clearly very grateful to his fans that stuck with him and those that voted for him and Meryl this season. It's too bad that he's probably not coming back, I would like to see more of this self-aware version of Maks on the show.

In the Meryl thread, someone posted this article. It's a great look at Meryl and all she's accomplished. Two parts that stood out to me were

“It’s hard to grasp,” she said. “How can one person possibly be so fortunate?”

and

But for now, the endorsements can wait.

Because Davis is going on vacation to Hawaii

I love how level-headed she is. She works hard but doesn't seem to expect anything from it. After all the work she's done so far this year I hope she has a great vacation.

• Love 5

Announced at the TCA meeting today was that DWTS will do a second-night results show, but only for two weeks.  I'm not sure why for only two weeks, but you take what you can get.  ABC president Paul Lee also says he's happy with Tom and Erin as hosts. 

Rumored was that Len would be back, but not for the whole season.  I think it would be like it was however many seasons ago when he was dealing with his cancer treatments and only did about half the season.  I think that was the season that Michael Flatley sat in as a guest judge and was utterly boring. 

The Creative Emmy Awards were held tonight and DWTS went home mostly empty-handed save for a technical directing award. Tom Bergeron lost the Best Reality Host category to Jane Lynch and Derek lost Best Choreography to NappyTabs. The award for Best Reality Show is given at the main ceremony, next Monday but I seriously doubt they'll win that one.

I dunno if this is the right place, but I couldn't find a better thread.

DWTS appears to have its lowest premiere ever (with a 2.4 vs. last fall's 3.1 as the most comparable #), which is actually kinda surprising since usually the show sags a bit when up against The Voice but The Voice wasn't even on last night to steal its audience.

And last season (fall+spring), ratings were overall down only 1% for the show vs. the previous season's Monday episodes, after a few years of enormous drops (like over 30% for the 2011-12 season's Monday episodes). 

Edited by jjjmoss

And last season (fall+spring), ratings were overall down only 1% for the show vs. the previous season's Monday episodes, after a few years of enormous drops (like over 30% for the 2011-12 season's Monday episodes). 

They should have advertised that Maks was gonna be in the audience and that the camera was going to catch a shot of Meryl's hand on his knee.

Not to mention The Big Bang Theory has an hour-long premiere on Monday. I know I will primarily be watching that and putting DWTS on during commercials since it's easier to just YouTube any dances I miss.

Edited by Buggin

A bit hideous last night.

1.8. Only 1 Monday episode's gone lower - a 1.7 in November.

Might be a fluke, but I'm predicting even lower #s soon.

Edited by jjjmoss

So I was watching the after show interviews and some of the couples revealed what they are dancing:  

Lea & Artem along with Cheryl and Antiono are doing Salsa. Janel and Val
have Samba. Mark  and Sadie are doing the Rumba.Peta and Tommy have Foxtrot .

Edited by Dancingjaneway

I went over to check out the ratings and was shocked that, in absolute numbers, DWTS beats out, albeit slightly, The Voice. I was especially surprised that the most recent episode of DWTS beat out the The Voice since Taylor Swift was a guest mentor. DWTS is beat out by The Voice in the target demographic, which is "the ratings that counts."

Another interesting tidbit is that Dancing With The Stars is the top show on network television for some newfangled measurement/ranking called Social TV Rankings.

General-Sentiment-Network-October-20-26.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/29/dancing-with-the-stars-the-walking-dead-again-top-social-tv-rankings-for-the-week-of-october-20-26/320830/

Edited by quinn

I know which is why I wrote, "the rating that counts." I don't think that the show ever did well with the target demographic, but I thought that the show was in some kind of decline, and maybe it is in comparison to the early years, but I am surprised that for people who are watching television on Monday nights, a good chunk of them are watching DWTS.

I know which is why I wrote, "the rating that counts." I don't think that the show ever did well with the target demographic, but I thought that the show was in some kind of decline, and maybe it is in comparison to the early years, but I am surprised that for people who are watching television on Monday nights, a good chunk of them are watching DWTS.

The problem is the demo figure.  It's the only one that really matters, and DWTS is in 4th place in that time slot, whereas they used to be #2 and sometimes #1.

I went over to check out the ratings and was shocked that, in absolute numbers, DWTS beats out, albeit slightly, The Voice. I was especially surprised that the most recent episode of DWTS beat out the The Voice since Taylor Swift was a guest mentor. DWTS is beat out by The Voice in the target demographic, which is "the ratings that counts."

Most people I know can't stand Taylor Swift, so I understand DWTS beating anything she was on.

• Love 3

DWTS got lots of mentions on Nashville due to the Rayna character setting up an appearance on the show, plus Derek's character was on again, as was former DWTS contestant Sara Evans.

I know at least one Nashville watcher who'd never heard of Derek Hough before now, I wonder if she'll feel compelled to check out this fluff of a show now. Just like I need to google DWTS contestants I'm not familiar with, which seem to be more as each season passes (alas, I'm not in the most coveted demo).

Taylor may be polarizing but she has just sold more CD's in 1 DAY than many artists can sell in a year..so yeah popular doesnt even begin to describe where she's at and I too am shocked DWTS can beat anything with her presence even if it isnt in the most important ratings demo.

Taylor may be polarizing but she has just sold more CD's in 1 DAY than many artists can sell in a year..so yeah popular doesnt even begin to describe where she's at and I too am shocked DWTS can beat anything with her presence even if it isnt in the most important ratings demo.

Well the over 49 set is probably not buying Taylor's new album...

Since they ditched the results show, the shows they've used to fill those timeslots the past 2 fall seasons have tanked. Maybe ABC should just get the hint that even though the results show wasn't as big of a ratings hit as they'd like, it still does better than any of their comedies they've tried to put in it's place.

Well the over 49 set is probably not buying Taylor's new album...

True, but she was so great as a mentor on The Voice that I watched DWTS on "On Demand" the next day and watched the battleround on The Voice on Monday instead.

• Love 1

Well, the move to one night has also helped to stop DWTS's Monday episodes from bleeding like crazy.

The 11-12 season, it was down 30%.

The 12-13 season, it was down 27%.

The 13-14 season, it was down 2%.

So far this season, it's down 8%.

If it had kept the results show, I'm guessing that the show would be looking on the dire side.

Edited by jjjmoss

I feel like that writing was on the wall for awhile. Hasn't he said flying back and forth every week is a pain? And then bringing in Julianne, and then his extended hiatus this past season ... it was only a matter of time.

I wish him luck in his future endeavors, but I'll miss him. He was the only one I could count on to give a decent - or at least sensible - score. Now we're stuck with I-can't-stop-crying-it-was-so-beautiful Carrie Ann, it-wasn't-a-tango-but-I-liked-it-so-a-10 Julianne, and OH-My-GOD-SO-ENTERTAINING (all caps, all the time) Bruno. That's going to make judging insufferable.

• Love 7

I wonder who will take over the mid-season "pick on Derek" post?

I like Derek, but think it would be good for him to take a break from DTWS (permanent or otherwise)--he certainly has many creative projects that keep him working apart from this show, so why not. And it also gives (some of) the audience chance to miss him in this venue (unless he never returns, then it's a moot point, ha).

• Love 1