Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/04/13/dancing-with-the-stars-disney-night/?cmp=emc|omd|natural|disney-omd|2017-04-14|omd|box3

Disney has the list of songs here for Disney night coming up. 

Simone Biles & Sasha-Contemporary "How Far I'll Go" from Moana Live Permormace by Auli'i Carvalho

Bonner Bolton & Sharna-Tango "When Can I See You Again?" Wreck-It-Ralph

Erika Jayne & Gleb-Viennese Waltz "Unforgettable" Finding Dory

Rashad Jennings & Emma-Foxtrot "Evermore" Beauty and the Beast (live action version)

Nacny Kerrigan & Artem-Jazz "That's How You Know" Enchanted

Normani Kordei & Val-Paso Doble "I'll Make A Man Out of You" Mulan Live Permorance by Donny Osmond

Heather Morris & Maksim-Jazz "For the First Time in Forever" Frozen

David Ross & Lindsay-Jazz "Ride" Cars 3 Lice Permornace by ZZ Ward

Nick Viall & Peta-Jazz "I've Got No Strings" Pinocchio sung by Dickie Jones

• Love 1

Is it unusual to have 4 jazz routines on one episode?  My memory's not the greatest, but it seems unusual to me.  Jazz choreography, as seen on DWTS, can camouflage a multitude of flaws, as does contemporary.    I predict at least a few 10s for Normani; she should slay the paso, especially with more time for rehearsals this week.  Likewise, we should see some 10s for Simone, who will slay contemporary.   I predict underscoring for Heather, whose jazz routine the judges, especially Len, can use to remind the audience that she's a professional dancer, yet she can't do as well in bringing out her personality when compared to the jazz routine of amateur David. 

David and Lindsay will be doing Jive. They already did a Jazz in Week 3.

No, it is not unusual for there to be so many Jazz numbers, especially for a big theme week (like Iconic Dances night). However, in past Disney nights, they have been better at matching movie songs with actual ballroom/Latin dances.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

David and Lindsay will be doing Jive. They already did a Jazz in Week 3.

No, it is not unusual for there to be so many Jazz numbers, especially for a big theme week (like Iconic Dances night). However, in past Disney nights, they have been better at matching movie songs with actual ballroom/Latin dances.

Thought it was odd it said Jive but was going off what Disney posted on their own site. Agree about the songs and dances. There are ones there that I can't see fitting with the dance style at all. I can say there is only a few that I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out from this unlike past years. Which they are obviously using a song from Cars 3 to push that movie...even though that isn't in theaters until June and Evermore as a good reminder that you can still catch Beauty and the Beast in the theater too. 

6 hours ago, majormama said:

Former Bachelor/DWTS star Farmer Chris left the scene of a fatal accident:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bachelor-chris-soules-arrested-car-crash-1202394900/

Having grown up in farming country, hitting a tractor is an unforgivable sin especially for a farmer. 

How fucking fast was he going to be able to force a tractor trailer into a ditch by rear-ending it?  Typically even an F-150 loses to a tractor trailer.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

So someone trying to break into his house is now Maks' fault?

Considering the police said it was a civil matter and no crime was committed, I guess one has to wonder how accurate this story really is (aside from how coincidental).....which is nothing new when it involves Maks.

• Love 2

TMZ has more details about the incident at Maks and Peta's house. Someone called the cops in the middle of the night saying people (aka Maks, Peta and their son) were in his house. The guy had no proof and Maks and Peta are renting it. It's a weird story but It doesn't sound like Maks' fault. If the guy really had a claim he wouldn't be bringing it up in the middle of the night when Maks and Peta have been in the house for weeks.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/maksim-chmerkovskiy-peta-murgatroyd-cops-called-to-house-by-trespasser/

44 minutes ago, Barbara Manatee said:

It was a farm tractor, not a tractor trailer.

That makes more sense. Most of the articles describe it as a tractor trailer (they're all probably copying from the same source). But I see the NYT says it was a John Deere Tractor.

• Love 1

The press release for next week's show is out already:

Excerpt:

Each couple will dance two dances - one being a Judges' Challenge, in which Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough have each been individually paired up with one couple, tasking them with a specific challenge for their dance, and the second being a style the couple has not danced to yet.

In addition, two-time "Dancing with the Stars" Mirrorball champion and Emmy-nominated choreographer Cheryl Burke returns to the ballroom with a special performance from her 30-city tour, "Love on the Floor." The live dance show kicks off its national tour of intimate performing arts theaters across the country on October 17 in Palm Desert, California.

As an added treat, breakout U.K. artist, singer and songwriter Calum Scott will perform his poignant version of Robyn's "Dancing on My Own," alongside a dance from pros Witney Carson and Artem Chigvintsev. "Dancing on My Own" has become a global sensation, quickly charting in over 34 countries on Spotify and hitting No. 1 on iTunes in 11 countries. Scott will also perform his new original song, "Rhythm Inside."

Each couple will perform a rumba, quickstep, jazz, tango, jive, Viennese waltz or foxtrot.

At the end of the night, based on scores and votes from last Monday, one couple will be eliminated.

For the Judges' Challenge, the couples will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):
Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - CARRIE ANN INABA - Jive - "Faith" by Stevie Wonder featuring Ariana Grande
Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater - BRUNO TONIOLI - Rumba - "Say You Won't Let Go" by James Arthur
Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - LEN GOODMAN - Viennese Waltz - "Desperado" by Rihanna
David Ross & Lindsay Arnold - JULIANNE HOUGH - Foxtrot - "You Make Me Feel So Young" by Michael Bublé
For the second full dance, the couples will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):
Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - Rumba - "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato
Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater - Quickstep - "Yes I Can" by Superhumans
Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - Jazz - "What a Wonderful World" by Ray Chew Live
David Ross & Lindsay Arnold - Tango - "Castle on the Hill" by Ed Sheeran

From:  http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-on-ABC-Monday-May-15-2017-20170510

I think Normani's great, but why is the show giving her jazz when everyone else is doing two dances with rules? And she just had contemporary last week.

I also don't like David getting two standard ballroom dances when there are still Latin dances he hasn't done (samba and rumba).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I think Normani's great, but why is the show giving her jazz when everyone else is doing two dances with rules? And she just had contemporary last week.

I also don't like David getting two standard ballroom dances when there are still Latin dances he hasn't done (samba and rumba).

The "fix"

8 hours ago, Uke said:

The press release for next week's show is out already:

Excerpt:

Each couple will dance two dances - one being a Judges' Challenge, in which Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough have each been individually paired up with one couple, tasking them with a specific challenge for their dance, and the second being a style the couple has not danced to yet.

In addition, two-time "Dancing with the Stars" Mirrorball champion and Emmy-nominated choreographer Cheryl Burke returns to the ballroom with a special performance from her 30-city tour, "Love on the Floor." The live dance show kicks off its national tour of intimate performing arts theaters across the country on October 17 in Palm Desert, California.

As an added treat, breakout U.K. artist, singer and songwriter Calum Scott will perform his poignant version of Robyn's "Dancing on My Own," alongside a dance from pros Witney Carson and Artem Chigvintsev. "Dancing on My Own" has become a global sensation, quickly charting in over 34 countries on Spotify and hitting No. 1 on iTunes in 11 countries. Scott will also perform his new original song, "Rhythm Inside."

Each couple will perform a rumba, quickstep, jazz, tango, jive, Viennese waltz or foxtrot.

At the end of the night, based on scores and votes from last Monday, one couple will be eliminated.

For the Judges' Challenge, the couples will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):
Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - CARRIE ANN INABA - Jive - "Faith" by Stevie Wonder featuring Ariana Grande
Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater - BRUNO TONIOLI - Rumba - "Say You Won't Let Go" by James Arthur
Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - LEN GOODMAN - Viennese Waltz - "Desperado" by Rihanna
David Ross & Lindsay Arnold - JULIANNE HOUGH - Foxtrot - "You Make Me Feel So Young" by Michael Bublé
For the second full dance, the couples will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):
Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - Rumba - "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato
Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater - Quickstep - "Yes I Can" by Superhumans
Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - Jazz - "What a Wonderful World" by Ray Chew Live
David Ross & Lindsay Arnold - Tango - "Castle on the Hill" by Ed Sheeran

From:  http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-on-ABC-Monday-May-15-2017-20170510

Who is Ray Chew? Don't they mean Ray Charles? Interesting choice for a Jazz number. I was expecting it to be something upbeat since the Viennese Waltz will be slow..

(edited)
4 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Ray Chew is the DWTS music director who they give a shoutout to on the show each week. It must be his arrangement of the song.

ahhhh lol I never noticed that were saying Chew. I would just hear the Ray. Maybe he has an upbeat arrangement he's going to do.

Edited by Venee
(edited)

I was wondering about that credit, too. They don't usually give the band credit when they do covers. It's Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys [covered by Ray Chew Live], not Fun, Fun, Fun by Ray Chew Live. It must be something more than just their usual butchering. Are they an actual band outside of being the house band for DWTS? Are there recordings available? (Not that I would buy one, just curious.)

ETA: Now I'm really curious why they gave the band the credit for this one. I looked up Maria Menunous's Rumba music, and it was credited to Madonna, even though it is most definitely not Madonna's arrangement. Why didn't they give credit to whoever arranged that?

Edited by majormama
17 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Because Val knows how to play the game, so I'm sure he's behind her contemp/jazz 1-2 punch down the homestretch.  Not only a jazz, but a jazz in relation to her hometown and Hurricane Katrina--even if they are supposedly focusing on the happier aspects and not the actual devastation of the hurricane.  So jazz, emotional heartstrings, more perfect scores.

Did Normani ever do a samba? I wish she had.  She would probably be good at it and it would at least be challenging and allow for her to learn technique.

By the same token they are probably trying to keep David away from dances he would struggle with- samba & rumba.

6 hours ago, Venee said:

ahhhh lol I never noticed that were saying Chew. I would just hear the Ray. Maybe he has an upbeat arrangement he's going to do.

They usually say " Ray Chew Live!" which for the longest time I heard as "Ray Chulai" - like, as if his last name rhymed with July. It was only last season that I was like, oooooh, LIVE. I geddit.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, spanana said:

Did Normani ever do a samba? I wish she had.  She would probably be good at it and it would at least be challenging and allow for her to learn technique.

No, she has not done samba. Viennese Waltz and Samba would have been a nice pairing of dances for her. 

7 hours ago, majormama said:

I was wondering about that credit, too. They don't usually give the band credit when they do covers. It's Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys [covered by Ray Chew Live], not Fun, Fun, Fun by Ray Chew Live. It must be something more than just their usual butchering. Are they an actual band outside of being the house band for DWTS? Are there recordings available? (Not that I would buy one, just curious.)

ETA: Now I'm really curious why they gave the band the credit for this one. I looked up Maria Menunous's Rumba music, and it was credited to Madonna, even though it is most definitely not Madonna's arrangement. Why didn't they give credit to whoever arranged that?

According to his wiki, he went from being a band player (keyboards) on SNL to music director on Showtime at the Apollo and several other shows eventually landing on American Idol and finally replacing Harold Wheeler on DWTS.  There's no mention of him recording anything on either his wiki or his website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chew

http://www.raychew.com/

12 hours ago, majormama said:

This made me chuckle out loud.... lol

42 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Nope. I was wrong. That is what a full body cringe is like. 

Run, Normani. Run like the wind before he can lasso you.

ITA.  Normani, run away.  He seems polite but then he showed his sleazy side by wanting to smack Sharna and Britt in their butts.  Now, if Rashad asks you out, go for it except I think Simone likes him.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It was reported months ago by People and US Weekly.

Wow.  How did I miss that at the time?  It seems that I also missed the memo that Edyta Sliwinska is about to give birth to her second child!

Edited by legaleagle53
On 5/13/2017 at 8:23 AM, Callaphera said:

Nope. I was wrong. That is what a full body cringe is like. 

Run, Normani. Run like the wind before he can lasso you.

You know what? His Dancing sucked to high heaven, but he's adorable and from what I can tell off the Dance floor a sweet guy. I'd go if I was single... You go Bonner! Maybe she can teach you to dance....

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Venee said:

You know what? His Dancing sucked to high heaven, but he's adorable and from what I can tell off the Dance floor a sweet guy. I'd go if I was single... You go Bonner! Maybe she can teach you to dance....

Ever since I compared him to a serial killer from Criminal Minds in the last episode thread, I can't unsee it. He's going to take her down to his murder basement under the guise of showing her his belt buckles and find out what happens next on Wednesday, 9 pm. (8 central) on the new episode of Criminal Minds, only on CBS. 

It's the dead eyes. They're as dead as his soul. And all of his victims. 

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Ever since I compared him to a serial killer from Criminal Minds in the last episode thread, I can't unsee it. He's going to take her down to his murder basement under the guise of showing her his belt buckles and find out what happens next on Wednesday, 9 pm. (8 central) on the new episode of Criminal Minds, only on CBS. 

Season cliffhanger! We'll have to wait till September.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

I'm rollin lol lol lol lol

13 hours ago, Venee said:

Considering he spent time filming Orthodox Jews walking around in, what to him I suppose was their funny looking hats and clothes, and basically mocking them- no, thanks.

• Love 1

DWTS Jr premieres in Spring. Does that mean it will replace the normally scheduled season of DWTS?

Hopefully, this will be a three or four week thing. DWTS is mentally and physically draining on the adults, I don't want to see kids get hurt or meltdown from the pressure.

Well if this means we no longer have to see adult Pros paired with 14-16 year old, then great. I admit I'm kind of curious. Like will the Pros still be expected to choreograph their own dances? Yes these will be champion/professional Junior dancers but will they be experienced enough to come up with routines like the current show? Well the current Pros get outside help sometimes so I'm sure they would be able to do the same. Regular DWTS has been on for so long now. A different version might bring some new life into the franchise. I'll give it a look.

28 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well if this means we no longer have to see adult Pros paired with 14-16 year old, then great. I admit I'm kind of curious. Like will the Pros still be expected to choreograph their own dances? Yes these will be champion/professional Junior dancers but will they be experienced enough to come up with routines like the current show? Well the current Pros get outside help sometimes so I'm sure they would be able to do the same. Regular DWTS has been on for so long now. A different version might bring some new life into the franchise. I'll give it a look.

While I think champion/professional junior dancers would be capable of putting together choreography, I bet that they have other adult choreographers to help with that part.  It's too much stress for the adult pros much of the time and the last thing the show would need is their junior champions having meltdowns from the stress week to week.  That said, I also bet this will be a shorter format.  Especially in a test run phase.

I'd give it a chance, but I do have my reservations.  SYTYCD didn't really gain anything from their junior experiment and I have flashbacks to the awful, awful American Idol Juniors back when that show was in its hey day. 

I will own that Brittany and Brandon's Phantom of the Opera Paso was one of my favourite dances ever on this show but I don't see the appeal of this at all. Celebrity kids and kids of celebrities? The first is okay, though I imagine it'll be Disney Channel kids I don't recognize. The second, why? Kids of celebrities who are famous for nothing else are my least favourite type of celebrity. Plus, I worry about kid elimination shows. I remember that girl from the X-Factor and her live TV breakdown. If this isn't taped, yikes but if it is then you lose out on the voting and the audience engagement this show seems to love.

1 minute ago, spanana said:

SYTYCD didn't really gain anything from their junior experiment and I have flashbacks to the awful, awful American Idol Juniors back when that show was in its hey day. 

Oh American Idol Juniors was a disaster. Of course Simon Cowell told them it was a mistake and wanted no part of it. Also SYTYCD has been on its last legs for a few seasons now so I never thought the junior experiment would have much impact. I am curious to see what celebrities they get. 

• Love 1

Can't see this doing well at all. No doubt they'll have the actual pros choreographing and featuring heavily in packages and probably judges like Maks and maybe Julianne to try and keep ratings up. Personally though I think it'll flop like Idol Jrs and be gone after a season. The young stars will probably be made up of largely Disney kids and the "young pros" probably kids from SYTYCD like that young kid who was Jenna's partner, also doesn't Lindsay Arnold have a little sister as well. Their best and only chance IMO of making it a success is pretaping it and having it air at 8 and following it with the actual DWTS show on 9-11. I don't know how they'd judge it or have people vote but for ratings that would be its best chance of staying afloat. If they are replacing the normal DWTS show with it then its ratings will crash imo.