Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Week 9 is up! 

Showstoppers Week is coming to Dancing With The Stars!

Frozen‘s Idina Menzel will be a guestjudge on the show while the six remaining couples will be performing TWO show-stopping dances – one from some of the hottest Broadway musicals, and a second where they are paired up for a Team-Up Challenge.

For the first dance, the couples will each dance a style they have not yet danced to a song from a hit Broadway musical. The teams traveled the country to see famous shows in person to get inspiration for their dances in the ballroom on Monday night. Each couple will perform either a samba, Argentine tango, waltz, Charleston, paso doblé, contemporary or jazz.

For the Team-Up Challenge, each team will dance together to one song, and for a portion of the dance, the two celebrities will dance together without the assistance of their professional partners. Each team will perform either a paso doblé, contemporary or jazz routine.

The points from both of the performances will be added together for the final judges’ scores. 

At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated, and the five remaining couples will advance to the semi-finals.  --- And Mark is in the ballroom! 

Here’s the song and dance list for Showstoppers Week:

Marilu Henner & Derek Hough – Samba – “December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)” from “Jersey Boys,” featuring guest performances by Mark Ballas and The Four Seasons
Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy – Argentine Tango – “Cell Block Tango” from “Chicago”
James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – Jazz – “A Brand New Day” from “The Wiz”
Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – Waltz – “Memory” from “Cats,” featuring a guest performance by Leona Lewis
Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber – Charleston – “If My Friends Could See Me Now” from “Sweet Charity”
Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – Waltz – “She Used to Be Mine” from “Waitress”

The Team-Up Challenges are as follows and will dance to the following songs:
Team-Up #1: James & Calvin - Paso Doblé – “No Good” by Kaleo
Team-Up #2: Jana & Laurie – Contemporary – “Bird Set Free” by Sia
Team-Up #3: Marilu & Terra – Jazz – “Big Noise from Winnetka” by Bette Midler

14 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Tony and Kate were bad but tony at least was patient with Kate, Maks and Hope were fighting every week. I still remember the team dance when Maks got fed up helping Hope and left and Derek stepped in to help Hope. 

Yeah you're right. It's just always fun to bring up Tony and Kate. But yeah Maks and Hope were the definition of uncomfortable and then came all her accusations of him hitting her and just messy.

Mark will be a welcomed addition, singing Frankie Vali for Marilu and Derek, and I've got fingers crossed although I don't know if it will help Marilu.  Hopefully she'll just say %%%%###  I got nothing to lose and just do it.  Oh What A Night....

Laurie and Val - AT  this should be great. How much do we love Chicago! Cicero!! If it is anything like Discombulated from Zendaya's season,  the bad guy theme will be a lot of fun to do. She'll be able to slap Val around a bit and that could be a great dance. 

Hinch and Sharna - Jazz- Brand New Day from the Wiz.  Love the music from this - I hope we don't get some sort of backlash as this was an all African American musical.  Jazz can be great or kind of a dud on this show,  so I'm optimistic Sharna will have a great vision for this one. Who was it who thought Hinch reminded them of Ray Bolger?  Well go way back to the parent musical Wizard of Oz and we might get something kinda cool. 

Calvin and Lindsay - Memories from Cats- great music, probably going to be going there on the costumes..Calico Cool Cat Calvin has really got to concentrate on technique, he's had a couple of opportunities with VWaltz, but Waltz is slower than VWaltz- more opportunity for judges to see mistakes. 

Terra and Sasha - Charleston  "If They could see me now" Sweet Charity- how  perfect for a female contestant on this show. Terra should do really well. , the lyrics are all about the crazy journey.

Jana and Gleb - Waltz - She used to be mine from Waitress.  This is a relatively new musical which can be great, or it might get lost with all the chestnuts they are using for the individual dances.  I really kind of loved their Beatles Foxtrot.  Maybe we will get something similiar 

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Tony and Kate were bad but tony at least was patient with Kate

Was he? All I remember from that partnership (aside from the bad paso to Lady Gaga's Paparazzi) was Tony ripping his mic pack off and declaring he quit. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, McManda said:

Was he? All I remember from that partnership (aside from the bad paso to Lady Gaga's Paparazzi) was Tony ripping his mic pack off and declaring he quit. 

It did take a long time for him to explode tough, and he apologized and seemed sincerely sorry. I think Derek and the Maks would have lost their patience long before he did.

I never know where to put social media things, is it Media?

Anyway, according to Jana's snapchat, Gleb is injured and Alan is with her on their way to New York. (Probably for their Broadway number? I don't keep track of her concert schedule.)

This season really taking its toll on the pros! That's two down. (Or they need to make sure the troupe isn't in it to Nomi Malone them all.)

• Love 1

(Or they need to make sure the troupe isn't in it to Nomi Malone them all.)

This. When I saw the picture on Instagram, I started side-eying the troupe members very hard. A little slip of the foot here, a little "accidental" bump is all it takes and then next thing they're filling in come Monday night. Just saying. 

40 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. When I saw the picture on Instagram, I started side-eying the troupe members very hard. A little slip of the foot here, a little "accidental" bump is all it takes and then next thing they're filling in come Monday night. Just saying. 

LOL, I'm still cracking up at how gleeful Alan was last season when Mark got injured. He couldn't even manage to fake the tiniest bit of concern, it was hilarious to watch. Poor boy has got no poker face at all. (-;

• Love 2

I need to vent, and since it involves the media I guess this is as good a place as any. I have been watching this show since day 1. This season has kept me sane. It's been one of the few things to take me off to fantasyland while weathering this wretched election. I was so looking forward to Broadway night, one of my favorites. The election is driving me insane and DWTS is giving me some joy. Then tonite, Mr. Happy mentioned that Monday night was both hockey AND football. I checked the program guide and my local ABC affiliate has opted to show the stupid, stupid foodball game instead of DWTS. I could just cry and I am so depressed. I was so looking forward to this. Is there anywhere else I can watch this? I can no longer receive Canadian stations. Thank you for letting me vent, it's better than inflicting my pissing and moaning on poor Mr. Happy. He did not make this call.

15 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

I need to vent, and since it involves the media I guess this is as good a place as any. I have been watching this show since day 1. This season has kept me sane. It's been one of the few things to take me off to fantasyland while weathering this wretched election. I was so looking forward to Broadway night, one of my favorites. The election is driving me insane and DWTS is giving me some joy. Then tonite, Mr. Happy mentioned that Monday night was both hockey AND football. I checked the program guide and my local ABC affiliate has opted to show the stupid, stupid foodball game instead of DWTS. I could just cry and I am so depressed. I was so looking forward to this. Is there anywhere else I can watch this? I can no longer receive Canadian stations. Thank you for letting me vent, it's better than inflicting my pissing and moaning on poor Mr. Happy. He did not make this call.

Awww sending you a big ole hug!

You could tune into All Access - I think there's a dancefloor view or watch them all in the Red Room, etc.  Just my 1st thought. Your local ABC may air DWTS at 2 in the morning or some crazy time like that so you can set your DVR (just make sure you add recording time to the beginning and end so it doesn't cut off on you).

1 hour ago, Uke said:

Awww sending you a big ole hug!

You could tune into All Access - I think there's a dancefloor view or watch them all in the Red Room, etc.  Just my 1st thought. Your local ABC may air DWTS at 2 in the morning or some crazy time like that so you can set your DVR (just make sure you add recording time to the beginning and end so it doesn't cut off on you).

Thank you for caring Uke. I will give that a try. Pretty sure it will be aired at 2 am. I am one of the few viewers who actually enjoys watching the filler as well. Do you now if Just Jared shows the dances close to when they air? I'm in the eastern time zone.

40 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

Thank you for caring Uke. I will give that a try. Pretty sure it will be aired at 2 am. I am one of the few viewers who actually enjoys watching the filler as well. Do you now if Just Jared shows the dances close to when they air? I'm in the eastern time zone.

I think the order is determined during camera blocking.  Watch for George Pennacchio's twitter late Sunday or on Monday afternoon. He usually tweets the dance order.  https://twitter.com/abc7george 

1 hour ago, happyfeet said:

If you follow this twitter account, he posts the dances (with rehearsal packages + judges comments) almost immediately after they air (eastern time zone). It's not perfect, but it's how I end up watching a lot of the time

https://twitter.com/idolxfactor1

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

If you follow this twitter account, he posts the dances (with rehearsal packages + judges comments) almost immediately after they air (eastern time zone). It's not perfect, but it's how I end up watching a lot of the time

Oh wow, thank you so much. I think this will save my sanity. I will be sure to hit it Monday night. Thanks again.

Ugh. I would be so mad too if I couldn't watch live on Monday ( or live as in 10 minutes behind because now Eva fast forward and rewind and I dislike commercials) so i feel your pain. Plus broadway week is one of my favorite weeks as well. It's my musical theater nerd side. I also really like when they do Disney week but that's a spring season thing right? 

19 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

If you follow this twitter account, he posts the dances (with rehearsal packages + judges comments) almost immediately after they air (eastern time zone). It's not perfect, but it's how I end up watching a lot of the time.

This is how I watch the show most of the time too, especially when I get impatient and don't want to wait until it airs on the West Coast. The videos contain all the crucial parts that most of us would care about anyways.

You guys have made me feel so much better with this Twitter link. I am an older viewer and I have one more dumbass question  I don't have a Twitter account, will I need one to access this on Monday night? I can get to it now but there is no way for me to test it. I did find it in my program guide, airing at 2:05 am.

53 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

You guys have made me feel so much better with this Twitter link. I am an older viewer and I have one more dumbass question  I don't have a Twitter account, will I need one to access this on Monday night? I can get to it now but there is no way for me to test it. I did find it in my program guide, airing at 2:05 am.

No you don't need a twitter account to view idolxfactor1's twitter. You can just open it in a browser winder and you'll see each time he posts something.  It'll say "view 1 new tweet" and when you click that, it'll show the new tweet.

21 hours ago, happyfeet said:

Hi, the Buffalo station that usually broadcasts the feed for my area in Canada is also showing Football,  thanks for the heads up. I had to go looking up my dial, and WXYZ Detroit is broadcasting at the normal time.  It is channel 712 on my tv , I  do not know if this will help your situation, but if you have digital cable it might be broadcasting in those high channels.

Edited by RedFiat
5 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Hi, the Buffalo station that usually broadcasts the feed for my area in Canada is also showing Football,  thanks for the heads up. I had to go looking up my dial, and WXYZ Detroit is broadcasting at the normal time.  It is channel 712 on my tv , I  do not know if this will help your situation, but if you have digital cable it might be broadcasting in those high channels.

I live in the Buffalo area and had no idea we sent you the feed. I always thought your feed came out of Toronto. Chennel 712 did not even show up on my channel list, although we never got programming from the Detroit area. I will stick with the Twitter feed. I'm glad you found somewhere to watch it.

If you google ABC livestream, you will get sites that you can use, just make sure you have ad block and antivirus and you should be fine. 

It's coming from somewhere in Florida so I don't know if it's affected by your sport clash and it's usually half a minute to a minute behind the TV.

That's how I watch it live from the UK... 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, happyfeet said:

I live in the Buffalo area and had no idea we sent you the feed. I always thought your feed came out of Toronto. Chennel 712 did not even show up on my channel list, although we never got programming from the Detroit area. I will stick with the Twitter feed. I'm glad you found somewhere to watch it.

Yeah the origin is the US stations. In Toronto the feed comes from Buffalo even though it's being broadcast by a Canadian station.  We got extra channels I guess because we wanted the movie network, and hbo and I assume that other tv stations are automatically part of the package.  I hope you can try the livestream that Zoeey mentions.

Edited by RedFiat

Here's Next week - from DWTSgossip

Calvin and Lindsay
Individual Dance – Tango (Song: “Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes)
Trio with Witney – Salsa (Song: “Limbo” by Daddy Yankee)
1-800-868-3403

James and Sharna
Individual Dance – Argentine Tango (Song: “Santa Maria” by Gotan Project)
Trio with Jenna – Jive (Song: Give Me Some Lovin'” by the Spencer Davis Group)
1-800-868-3405

Terra and Sasha
Individual Dance – Rumba (Song: “Scars to Your Beautiful” by Alessia Cara)
Trio with Artem – Tango (Song: “Hideaway” by Kieszia)
1-800-868-3412

Jana and Gleb
Individual Dance – Quickstep (Song: “Go Mama” by Wayne Beckford)
Trio with Alan – Paso Doble (Song: “Kill of the Night” by Gin Wigmore)
1-800-868-3406

Laurie and Val
Individual Dance – Foxtrot (Song: “Hollow” by Tori Kelly)
Trio with Maks – Samba (Song: Magalenha” by Sergio Mendez)
1-800-868-3407

Edited by RedFiat

Is Artem really the next shortest option available for Sasha and Terra? Really? Isn't Derek a pocket person or is he not available because of Hairspray? Or if there isn't a shorter pro available, why give her a dance that's in hold for the trio?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Is Artem really the next shortest option available for Sasha and Terra? Really? Isn't Derek a pocket person or is he not available because of Hairspray? Or if there isn't a shorter pro available, why give her a dance that's in hold for the trio?

Mostly I'm scratching my head why they do tango as a trio at all? Don't they need to be in hold all the time, how does that work? It's just strange. Other than that, the dance assignments and music choices look nice for everybody.

• Love 1

If it's a Tango Trio I would say they are going to relax the rules, it will be more American Smooth Tango not International Standard.  They have gotten away from International standard for pretty much all the standard dances except Quickstep is only found in International Standard.  I think it could be a great routine.  I still remember Mark Sadie and Emma's Trio Foxtrot - It was fantastic. 

58 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

They all had the same contract.

I think it's worded poorly - it's not meant to imply Laurie got more money because she was a minor, but that the further you make it on the show the more they pay you. 

Laurie, James, and Calvin all made it to the finals so they all made $350k. Jana was eliminated in the semis, so she made $300k. Jake T Austin was eliminated first, so he only made the base $125k.

It kind of puts the disappointment when people are eliminated into perspective - I'd be annoyed if I missed out on $50k for a week if I had been given a bad edit it felt like I was underscored or something. But then again, that might be pocket change for some of these people, I don't know. I just know it's more than I bank in a year.

Makes me wonder what they pay the pros ... they're as much celebrities now as the stars they get to be on the show, plus it's their profession. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, McManda said:

Makes me wonder what they pay the pros ... they're as much celebrities now as the stars they get to be on the show, plus it's their profession. 

The pros make a lot of money.  It also depends on the pro.  One of my daughters mainly went to a ballet/contemporary studio.  However, she does compete in ballroom competitions.  Her coach taught Witney, Lindsay, Derek, etc.  She told me how much Witney makes in a year.  I forgot the amount but it was more than $360,000 a year.  Since Witney is a relative newbie and Derek is like a star, he makes significantly more money. 

4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

The pros make a lot of money.

I would like to see the current salaries for the pros. Someone on the old TWOP site posed it a few years back, but I am sure it has changed.  They didnt make as much as the stars and they are paid for each week they are on the show.

If Witney makes $360,000 thats for 2 season a year, correct?  And outside activities?

51 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I would like to see the current salaries for the pros. Someone on the old TWOP site posed it a few years back, but I am sure it has changed.  They didnt make as much as the stars and they are paid for each week they are on the show.

If Witney makes $360,000 thats for 2 season a year, correct?  And outside activities?

I'd say that would have to include 2 seasons plus other activities. She seems to do alot of modeling photoshoots (magazines or e-magazines I've never heard of).  From what I've heard from various sources, the pros start around $5k-$10k per week and then a retainer of some sort after elimination.  The longer a pro stays (the more seasons the pro stays), the more they get per season, so Mark, Derek, Tony, Karina, Cheryl would all get substantially more per week than newbie pros.  So assuming Witney is now up in the $10k per week category, for 11 weeks that $110,000 plus $100,000 for last season, she's only 2/3 the way to what that coach was claiming.

I also wonder if that TMZ story is from actually seeing Laurie's contract or if they just repeated the same info from Shawn's contract (which was actually posted).  It seems a little strange that the payments are still exactly the same as from Shawn's season 8, 7 1/2 years ago.  I think after Shawn's contract was made public, they all learned to keep kid contracts sealed by the judge because Zendaya's, Willow's, Sadie's, Hayes, and whatever other kids, their contracts were never made public.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I didn't give a number because I don't remember what it was.  It was for a year (two seasons) and probably did include activities.  My daughter just said that Witney made a certain amount last year.  She said Derek made a lot more but didn't give a figure.  

• Love 1

Yeah, Peta was laughing about it, so it doesn't sound like a big deal.  And I'm not a little pleased that Maks is going to be very hands-on when it comes to helping Peta through childbirth and being a father to their son once he arrives.

http://www.gossipcop.com/usher-dancing-with-the-stars-not-joining-dwts-season-24-2017/

Apparently there were rumors that Usher would be in the next season of DWTS...

Although I'm sure ABC would fight tooth and nail to get him, he's way too big of star (his new single with Chris Brown is doing very well) and he's basically a professional dancer as well as singer. 

If this does turn out to be true that is ONE LUCKY female pro, and I'd pick Cheryl or Emma hands down, maybe Karina if she came back bc I always loved her choreo, especially with Corbin. 

• Love 1