Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, PTVjones said:

http://www.gossipcop.com/usher-dancing-with-the-stars-not-joining-dwts-season-24-2017/

Apparently there were rumors that Usher would be in the next season of DWTS...

Although I'm sure ABC would fight tooth and nail to get him, he's way too big of star (his new single with Chris Brown is doing very well) and he's basically a professional dancer as well as singer. 

If this does turn out to be true that is ONE LUCKY female pro, and I'd pick Cheryl or Emma hands down, maybe Karina if she came back bc I always loved her choreo, especially with Corbin. 

GossipCop was pretty clear with shooting this rumor down. 

4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Likely March. It usually premieres a week after The Bachelor ends. I'm sure they'll start running promos in February.

It's right about then that the rumors should be kicking into high gear about which celebs are on and which pros are coming back.

3 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Wait...what?  I did not see that coming!

It's been obvious since before the season ended. They were seen walking hand in hand just before the season ended and Val was driving her car. And since the season ended, they've been pretty blatant all over social media with Amber hanging out with Val and Maks' family and friends. I don't follow either one of them but I follow the DWTS page on Instagram so stuff shows up in my search about the Pros, all the time. 

• Love 2

New Rob Wade interview

http://www.glamour.com/story/dancing-with-the-stars-season-24-nick-viall?mbid=social_twitter_referral

Highlights:

Premeire date is March 20

On Pros: Derek is for sure out, because of the tour he and Julianne are doing, though Julianne still might judge because it's a lesser commitment. Mark has expressed interest in returning after Jersey Boys, but is not confirmed, Maks and Peta have invitations back if they want them and feel ready after the baby. He thinks "everyone else is coming back" (So sounds like no big pro shakeups)

On Stars: Casting is "52 percent" finished. From the casting director

"I feel like the state of the country right now is we’re really going [toward] what people love; we’re going to nostalgia, we’re going to Americana, we’re going to heroes. We’re kind of a feel-good place, when it feels like everyone’s a little unsure right now. So, we’re going to what we think people really enjoy."

(Hopefully this means less Real Housewives, but also hopefully less former governors)

Thanks for posting Louis' wedding pictures.  They turned out really nice.  Also thank you for the Rob Wade interview.  It was interesting.  Sadly, I don't think it means less housewives or governors.  It definitely doesn't mean less bachelors since the talked about that.

It's been long enough since "Don't Trust the B..." that they could hit all sorts of nostalgia buttons by casting Dean Cain and James Van Der Beek in the same season, right?

I'm still holing out hope.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, dwtsgueststars said:

yes plz, Mandy and every SYTYCD dancer wannabe

Yes. Mandy and other SYTYCD dancers Witney, Lindsay, Artem, Pasha, Janette, Dmitry, Lacey, Chelsie, Brittany, Allison, Anya, Karen, Iveta, Hayley, Jenna, Alan, Brooklyn, etc good luck.

• Love 2

I think it's far more likely that if Mandy leaves it will be because of bigger career opportunities rather than because the show pushes her out. After La La Land, she's kind of a big deal and if she wants to make a change, I'm sure the work is out there for her now. I doubt ABC is going to fire someone so well associated with what is probably going to be the Best Picture winner this year.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, movement said:

Yes. Mandy and other SYTYCD dancers Witney, Lindsay, Artem, Pasha, Janette, Dmitry, Lacey, Chelsie, Brittany, Allison, Anya, Karen, Iveta, Hayley, Jenna, Alan, Brooklyn, etc good luck.

To be fair (and this is offhand and isn't inclusive because I didn't research anything) Pasha, Artem, Chelsie, Witney, Lindsay, and Jenna all trained in ballroom. They might not have the awards of Karina, Tony, Maks et. al, but at least they studied ballroom.

I don't have a problem with SYTYCD transplants provided they fit with DWTS. I haves problem with them casting say, dancers like Allison, whose only real experience with ballroom before the show is being friends with Derek and expecting her to fit in.

If they never did another contemporary I wouldn't be sad. I would be sad if they forwent jazz because those are at least entertaining, but I'll get over it off that means controversy is nixed. And the club grinding pro dances can go, too.

Also, re: Mandy Moore and the choreography of La La Land ... is it that great? There are what, four dance numbers? They're good dances, but I wouldn't say they're the best ever. Two are pro dancers only and two are with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. I think her better accomplishment is teaching Gosling and Stone to tap dance. The "Lovely Night" dance stand out for sure, but their waltz is pretty simple. If DWTS pros can teach non-dancers to dance 10 different dances in twelve weeks then she shouldn't have had a problem teaching non-dancers two dances in four months. 

(I really liked La La Land, for what it's worth. But I didn't come out thinking "man, that choreography MADE that movie".)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, McManda said:

don't have a problem with SYTYCD transplants provided they fit with DWTS. I haves problem with them casting say, dancers like Allison,

OK.  It's not sytycd, it's the hatred for Allison again.

36 minutes ago, movement said:

OK.  It's not sytycd, it's the hatred for Allison again.

No, she's just the most obvious example of someone ill-fit to be a pro on this show. If there was a show dedicated to teaching proper contemporaries to celebs then she'd be a perfect teacher.

No disrespect to Allison, I think as a dancer what she does she does well. I just think her skill set is too narrow to be a good teacher on this show. 

• Love 11
13 hours ago, McManda said:

Also, re: Mandy Moore and the choreography of La La Land ... is it that great? There are what, four dance numbers? They're good dances, but I wouldn't say they're the best ever. Two are pro dancers only and two are with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. I think her better accomplishment is teaching Gosling and Stone to tap dance. The "Lovely Night" dance stand out for sure, but their waltz is pretty simple. If DWTS pros can teach non-dancers to dance 10 different dances in twelve weeks then she shouldn't have had a problem teaching non-dancers two dances in four months. 

(I really liked La La Land, for what it's worth. But I didn't come out thinking "man, that choreography MADE that movie".)

I wasn't overly blown away by the choreography in La La Land either (I feel like I've seen those two big group numbers before as season openers here) but my point was just that Mandy has moved up in the world in terms of prestige. Hollywood treats film and TV work very differently. Involvement in a successful project opens doors and for ABC, she's promotable. (A weird idea I know since her Q score has to be pretty low but as long as the network can say "From the Choreographer of La La Land" it's got some value and will have even more if/when LLL wins Best Picture.) La La Land is a hit and a critical darling so being able to claim a connection to it is a big deal. I just think because of her recent success, it's unlikely ABC will send her packing as part of these changes.

On 2/9/2017 at 5:24 AM, McManda said:

No, she's just the most obvious example of someone ill-fit to be a pro on this show. If there was a show dedicated to teaching proper contemporaries to celebs then she'd be a perfect teacher.

No disrespect to Allison, I think as a dancer what she does she does well. I just think her skill set is too narrow to be a good teacher on this show. 

I agree. Also I haven't seen anyone "hating" on Allison on this site - just generally agreement that she's a wonderful contemporary dancer that isn't trained in ballroom/latin sufficiently to be able to create choreography and teach celebs who (mostly) have little to no dance experience.

I've seen on instagram that she's been working with Bobby Newberry on something, I think it's a music video.   That aside, I'm wondering if she might migrate over to the new show with Derek, JLo, Neyo, etc.  I haven't really been following what the "World of Dance" format will be like - the gist of it seems like it'll be similar to SYTYCD except they'll have duos/trios/groups and the judges will actively coach contestants.  From what little I've heard about it, it'll feature dance genres including contemporary, hip hop, breaking, etc.  Allison might find a better "fit" for herself coaching these other styles where she's more proficient.  It might depend on where she is in her contract and whether or not DWTS producers would be willing to give her a pass.

Allison is a fantastic dancer, but I've never enjoyed her Ballroom and Latin dancing, and it's no mistake her partners haven't done well with the exception of Riker only because he was a huge ringer, who strangely enough did more competitive Latin/Ballrom than she ever did.

I always just found her choreography very manic and lacking any light and shade.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 2

They're both coming back? Didn't Peta say something about wanting to spend some months with her baby before returning to the show and basically made it seem that the earliest she'd be back was the Fall season? And as for Maks...why does he even bother anymore with his declarations of being "done"? It's beyond embarrassing now. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

They're both coming back? Didn't Peta say something about wanting to spend some months with her baby before returning to the show and basically made it seem that the earliest she'd be back was the Fall season? And as for Maks...why does he even bother anymore with his declarations of being "done"? It's beyond embarrassing now. 

Isn't he just following Derek's lead?

• Love 2

Producer of DWTS  probably promised them to be a main story line for the next season...*sob* how can we leave our baby to work...*sob*

Promised good celeb partners...no broke down stars

Or for Peta, a celeb who WILL breakdown early in the season so she can earn a paycheck and  spend time with Shai.

Then we will get to see her and the baby cheering Papa Maks, Uncle Val on as the season progresses.

Typical DWTS manipulation, nothing new here...

• Love 3

The idea that they're both coming back is so "whatever" to me. There really isn't a pro I get all that excited for anymore. (Mark probably comes the closest because I do think he's the most creative.) I pretty much like all of them and appreciate their strengths, but no one is going to make me jump up and down with joy. I feel like I've seen enough of pretty much everyone in the stable to know their best.

At this point what draws me in is the relationship that develops between pro and celeb and I won't know if Maks and Peta will be effective in that way until their partners are announced and we get to see them in action.

I get why they're back because I assume ABC threw money at them and Peta is (semi-rightly) worried that the female pro side is more crowded and wants to make sure she isn't forgotten. Seems smart on their end and I know Maks has enough fans that it makes sense on the ABC side too.

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

The idea that they're both coming back is so "whatever" to me. There really isn't a pro I get all that excited for anymore. (Mark probably comes the closest because I do think he's the most creative.) I pretty much like all of them and appreciate their strengths, but no one is going to make me jump up and down with joy. I feel like I've seen enough of pretty much everyone in the stable to know their best.

Yeah, same. I don't really dislike anyone but the only thing that might make me sit up on the pro side would be some sort of fresh blood. Especially on the guys side, it's been made even worse that they all seem to be competing for the same "smoldering Russian dude" archetype. Which, fine, but they're all sort of blending together into the same romance cover dude. (Even Alan, seems to be trying for "baby smoldering guy" when I almost think he'd be better embracing "goofy kid" just to be different.) I still think Paul Karmeryon as a charming boy next door type would be great. 

The women's side has more interest to me as you've got Lindsey out there delivering consistently fun stuff. Sharna can bring the creativity. Peta has been hit or miss for me but I don't really mind her back. I just hope this doesn't leave Emma out, she seems consistently on the bubble and would likely be the only one I'd miss. I might miss Jenna's crotch fringe, just because that was entertaining. I've moved into finding her "Dance Tracy Flick" antics sort of entertaining to watch.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
6 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

Isn't he just following Derek's lead?

Unlike Maks, Derek has never said he's done with the show and is never coming back. Derek says he doesn't know if he'll be back (usually in reference to a particular season), that he loves the show, and that he hopes to always be a part of it in some way. I've never heard Maks say anything like that.

• Love 3

The other big name dancers from Maks's original era on the show (Derek, Mark, Karina, Cheryl, Julianne) have all found success outside the show. It might not be mega star success but they've all gotten work and been successful with it away from the show. Even the dancers from that era who weren't as popular (Louis, Anna, Edyta) have been successful and moved on with things outside the show. The only work Maks has gotten since he declared he was moving on to bigger and better things after the All Star season has come from associations with DWTS - Karina, Faculty Tour Productions, former contestants, and mostly Val's partners. The only thing Maks tried on his own was Sway and it was a colossal failure, not even selling out half the seats the last two times they did it. Peta may be popular with the younger generation of fans but the only thing she's known for outside DWTS is her relationship with Maks. They both need the income and exposure the show gives them so it's no surprise they're coming back. Once DWTS goes off the air, their careers are pretty much over. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

The other big name dancers from Maks's original era on the show (Derek, Mark, Karina, Cheryl, Julianne) have all found success outside the show. It might not be mega star success but they've all gotten work and been successful with it away from the show. Even the dancers from that era who weren't as popular (Louis, Anna, Edyta) have been successful and moved on with things outside the show. The only work Maks has gotten since he declared he was moving on to bigger and better things after the All Star season has come from associations with DWTS - Karina, Faculty Tour Productions, former contestants, and mostly Val's partners. The only thing Maks tried on his own was Sway and it was a colossal failure, not even selling out half the seats the last two times they did it. Peta may be popular with the younger generation of fans but the only thing she's known for outside DWTS is her relationship with Maks. They both need the income and exposure the show gives them so it's no surprise they're coming back. Once DWTS goes off the air, their careers are pretty much over. 

Come on, you make it sound like Max is just making ends meet to survive.  I don't think Mark, Karina, Cheryl are more successful than Max.  And Louis, Anna, Edyta definitely are not. 

He does have the name recognition.

Edited by ifoundit

Cash talks, the rest...

It would not surprise me in the least if Maks were cash poor.  He would not be the first nouveau riche to have created an unsustainable lifestyle.

If he does indeed have the at least 7 figures in the bank he ought to, he's just another who wants to max out his earnings.

Lord knows it's not for the love of Art.

Maks also did his Maks and Val tour last summer. I don't know where they broke on that  one, if they made or lost money, but he has done more than "just Sway." I've also seen them posting about expanding their dance studios. Dunno how much THAT brings in, considering I've known people who have opened yoga studios and that's a tough thing to break even on, but they have expanded them. Peta also has a skincare line (again, not sure how it does but an iron in the fire.)

(Hey, look at me defending Maks and I don't even particularly care for 'im. ;)

Though this is a funny quote now (from last fall) http://www.tvguide.com/news/maksim-chmerkovskiy-leaving-dancing-with-the-stars/

Dancing With the Stars fan-favorite instructor Maksim Chmerkovskiy says he has "zero interest" in returning for the next season of America's favorite celebrity dance competition, but for very good reason: he wants to be a full-time dad to the child he's expecting with fiancée Peta Murgatroyd.

"The baby comes in January and then a month-and-a-half later I would have to be in L.A. to start training with somebody else. Trust me, I really don't care how this comes across, but there's no money on the planet that can replace me missing out the three, four, five months of my baby's life." the 36-year-old dancer gushed on Bravo's The Daily Dish.

Dude just needs to learn to keep his trap shut. Talk less, smile more, Maks.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ifoundit said:

Come on, you make it sound like Max is just making ends meet to survive.  I don't think Mark, Karina, Cheryl are more successful than Max.  And Louis, Anna, Edyta definitely are not. 

He does have the name recognition.

I didn't say they were more successful than Maks. I said they found success doing things outside of the show that were not affiliated with DWTS and had been successful at them. The same for Louis, Anna and Edyta. Maks has not found success with anything unrelated to DWTS.

39 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Maks also did his Maks and Val tour last summer. I don't know where they broke on that  one, if they made or lost money, but he has done more than "just Sway." I've also seen them posting about expanding their dance studios. Dunno how much THAT brings in, considering I've known people who have opened yoga studios and that's a tough thing to break even on, but they have expanded them. Peta also has a skincare line (again, not sure how it does but an iron in the fire.)

(Hey, look at me defending Maks and I don't even particularly care for 'im. ;)

Maks and Val's tour was produced by the same people who produce the DWTS tour and the Move tour. Cheryl's show that she did in Japan last year was not affiliated with DWTS. Neither, obviously, were Mark or Karina's stints on Broadway or most of the things Derek has done outside of the Move tour.

6 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Maks and Val's tour was produced by the same people who produce the DWTS tour and the Move tour.

Ah! I didn't know this. I guess that makes more sense why they were so happy to let Maks & Val promote it on the show, and how Derek & Julianne were able to incorporate DWTS dances into the Move show. (I had sorta wondered how those intellectual property rights all shook out.)

• Love 1