Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

People Magazine released the songs and dance styles for Week 1:

*Barbara Corcoran & Keo Motsepe – Salsa to “Money Maker” by Ludacris featuring Pharrell Williams

*Debbie Gibson & Alan Bersten will dance to her own number-one hit “Lost in Your Eyes”

*Derek Fisher & Sharna Burgess – Salsa to “Basketball” by Kurtis Blow

*Drew Scott & Emma Slater will dance to “Our House” by Madness

*Frankie Muniz & Witney Carson – Foxtrot to “Sign of the Times” by Harry Styles

*Jordan Fisher & Lindsay Arnold – Tango to “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” by Shawn Mendes

*Lindsey Stirling & Mark Ballas – Cha Cha to “Don’t Worry” by Madcon

*Nick Lachey & Peta Murgatroyd – Cha Cha to “Come Get It Bae” by Pharrell Williams

*Nikki Bella & Artem Chigvintsev – Tango to “So What!” by P!nk

*Sasha Pieterse & Gleb Savchenko will dance to “Like That” by Fleur East

*Terrell Owens & Cheryl Burke will dance to “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations

*Vanessa Lachey & Maks Chmerkovskiy – Cha Cha to “Woman” by Kesha featuring The Dap-Kinds Horns

*Victoria Arlen & Val Chmerkovskiy will dance to “Born Ready” by Disco Fries featuring Hope Murphy

3 hours ago, pally said:

Barbara Corcoran dancing salsa to Ludacris is hard to picture...if she can sell it she will be a star but unfortunately has disaster written all over it.

Completely agree. Then again, Miss Patty sold a salsa to 50 Cent, so ... anything is possible.

On 9/9/2017 at 7:15 AM, katha said:

I think this cast seems really pleasant for the most part. (-: At least so far no one stands out as really poisonous, that's something. And I will say this: I thought Keo wasn't ready the first time around and should have started in the troupe. But he was great with Charo, not everyone would have been good-natured enough to make it a pleasant experience for everyone involved. He pulled it off. And he and Barbara come across rather well so far as well.

Barbara is in excellent physical shape and she is usually up for a good time on Shark Tank so I think she might be one of the better partners Keo has had as long as he can do good choreography and keep his own ego in check.

I'm so excited that they cast Debbie Gibson! I've been a Debhead for almost 30 years and even though I'm not as fanatical about her as I was when I was eleven, lol, I still love her and hope she does well. She's a great songwriter and producer and she's done several big Broadway shows (Les Miz, Beauty and the Beast, Cabaret) but my recollection from the 1989 Electric Youth tour is that dancing was not her strong suit lol.

I'm so happy Mark is back, he always thinks outside the box. Lindsay knows his fiancé,BC Jean. I heard Mark play guitar and she was playing the violin, it was pretty darn good.

I like Keo, but as a back up dancer, I think he struggles with teaching and choreography. I don't think Alan will have that problem.

I really like Peta, but I hope it's not all about the rivalry between her and Maks.

I'm looking forward to this season,don't let me down! Not after the Big Brother dreck! ;) 

4 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

Very unfair. I adore Sasha.

I thought that height was a factor in why Sasha did not get a partner this season - in seasons past, his tallest partner was actually Kim Fields at 5'0". Until I looked up both his height and Mark Ballas's height and found that Sasha is actually an inch taller than Mark (5'7" vs. 5'6"). And not all of Mark's partners were that short (e.g., Bristol, who was the same height as Mark).

That being said, the female cast, with the exception of Lindsey, is medium to tall height this season (this is without factoring in heels).

Victoria Arlen - 5'7" (w/6'0" Val)

Nikki Bella - 5'6" (w/5'10" Artem)

Barbara Corcoran - 5'10" (w/6'3" Keo, yes he is taller than Maks)

Debbie Gibson - 5'6" (can't find Alan's height, but guessing at least 6'0")

Vanessa Lachey - 5'7" (w/6'2" Maks)

Sasha Pietrese - 5'6" (w/6'1" Gleb)

Lindsey Stirling - 5'3" (w/5'6" Mark)

And just for fun, the guys:

Derek Fisher - 6'1" (w/5'6" Sharna)

Jordan Fisher - 5'8" (w/5'6" Lindsay)

Nick Lachey - 5'9" (shorter than I expected) (w/5'7" Peta)

Frankie Muniz - 5'5" (w/5'3" Witney)

Terrell Owens - 6'3" (w/5'4" Cheryl)

Drew Scott - 6'4" (w/5'5" Emma)

I've seen that 5'6" stat for Mark before, but other places list him as being 5'8", which I find more believable. His taller partners (Chelsea, Bristol, Sadie) have been about 5'5 to 5'6, and in heels they often looked just about the same height as Mark.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2017 at 8:45 PM, calipiano81 said:

I've seen that 5'6" stat for Mark before, but other places list him as being 5'8", which I find more believable. His taller partners (Chelsea, Bristol, Sadie) have been about 5'5 to 5'6, and in heels they often looked just about the same height as Mark.

I know - it's annoying that no one has corrected Mark's wiki. He's between 5'8 and 5'9 and usually says 5'8 and change.  He just doesn't care. But I've stood next to him and can vouch that he's 5'8-5'9 and can easily partner the average height woman in the 5'4-5'5 range.

Edited by Uke
17 hours ago, McManda said:

I have a sneaking suspicion Lindsay is going to be toward the end of the night pretty much every week.

Yes they seem really desperate to make her happen. I think Frankie is the one who stole everyone's heart though. He got a standing ovation.

WEEK TWO DANCES (copied from Pure)

Monday is Ballroom, Tuesday is Latin 

*Terrell Owens and Cheryl
Samba (Song: “Hot in Herre” by Nelly)
Foxtrot (Song: “Pillow Talk” by Zayne Malik)
1-800-868-3411

*Debbie Gibson and Alan
Argentine Tango (Song: “Havana” by Camila Cabello)
Quickstep (Song: “This is My Time” by Amy Stroup)
1-800-868-3402

*Sasha Pieterse and Gleb
Samba (Song: “Most Girls” by Hailee Steinfeld)
V. Waltz (Song: “I’m Going Down” by Rose Royce)
1-800-868-3410

*Drew Scott and Emma
Rumba (Song: “Lights Down Low” by Max)
Quickstep (Song: “Sing, Sing, Sing” by Louis Prima)
1-800-868-3404

*Barbara Corcoran and Keo
Cha Cha (Song: “Bongolia” by Incredible Bongo Band)
Tango (Song: “Whatever Lola Wants” by Sarah Vaughan)
1-800-868-3401

*Jordan Fisher and Lindsay
Samba (Song: “Mi Gente” by J. Balvin and Willy William)
Viennese Waltz (Song: “Count on Me” by Judah Kelly)
1-800-868-3406

*Nick Lachey and Peta
Argentine Tango (Song: “She’s a Lady” by Lion Babe)
Foxtrot (Song: “Mandy” by Barry Manilow)
1-800-868-3408

*Vanessa Lachey and Maks
Salsa (Song: “Instruction” by Jax Jones)
Foxtrot (Song: “Hit Me With a Hot Note” by Tami Tappan Damiano)
1-800-868-3412

*Frankie Muniz and Whitney
Cha Cha (Song: “Perm” by Bruno Mars)
Tango (Song: “Whatever it Takes” by Imagine Dragons)
1-800-868-3405

*Nikki Bella and Artem
Samba (Song: “Despasito” by Luis Fonsi)
Waltz (Song: “Come Away with Me” by Norah Jones)
1-800-868-3409

*Derek Fisher and Sharna
Paso Doble (Song: “Diablo Rojo” by Rodrigo y Gabriella)
Foxtrot (Song: “Hallelujah I Love Her So” by Ray Charles)
1-800-868-3403

*Victoria Arlen and Val
Rumba (Song: “Easy” by Sky Ferreira)
Tango (Song: “Look What You Made Me To” by Taylor Swift)
1-800-868-3413

*Lindsey Stirling and Mark
Salsa (Song: “Mani Picao” by Ricky Campanelli)
Quickstep (Song: “Swing Set” by Jurassic 5)

1-800-868-3407

• Love 1

Is it just me who thinks it’s extremely harsh that one couple won’t be allowed to perform, their second dance after rehearsing it all week? They should have just had another night of voting and done a double elimination on the Tuesday.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

So these contestants get to rehearse two dances in Week 2. The only difference between this and two-dance weeks that typically happened later in the competition is that the two dances are on different nights.

I think there are two different nights next week.  Monday is Ballroom and Tuesday is Latin.   I believe there will be two couples eliminated.  Poor Keo......

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay Arnold discuss DWTS on Build:

The more I learn about Jordan fisher, the more I like him. He's so articulate and well-spoken, with a lovely voice. Moreso than his partner. He seems much older than 23. I read he was adopted and raised by his grandparents. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I think there are two different nights next week.  Monday is Ballroom and Tuesday is Latin.   I believe there will be two couples eliminated.  Poor Keo......

Right. My point is, they are not going to start rehearsing the second dance after they finish Monday's dance. They would have to rehearse both dances from 9/19 to 9/25 (next Monday), perform the ballroom on Monday the 25th, and then perform the Latin on Tuesday the 26th. In past seasons rehearsing two individual dances has typically started around Week 7 or so.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, crowceilidh said:

Yes, what are they up to with this change?  It should make for some messy routines.

They did this back in whatever season Bindi won. I believe it was the first time and to your speculation, yes it was a mess. That's the week Nick messed up his Jive and pretty much everyone's quality was down, even the front runners because two dances that early in the season when the celebrities were still trying to nail the technique was ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

From People, they say Maks "personal issue" is that he hates Vanessa 

http://people.com/tv/maks-chmerkovskiy-vanessa-lachey-feud-dwts/amp/

There was clearly something up with how vague the whole thing was. Typically, Pros haven't performed due to injury reasons that are always well documented on camera. I don't think in all my years of watching this show, I've ever heard the, "personal reasons" excuse given for a Pro not performing with their celebrity. Unless some other commitment causes them to miss a performance but again, that's usually well documented. So it's clear there was something really off going on.

And while People has had some gaffes in recent years, I feel like they wouldn't run this if they didn't have some solid source that provided the info. If this is true, can they finally just permanently get rid of Maks? Whatever appeal or ratings they think Maks brings in or he used to once upon a time, it ain't there no more. He's someone who obviously hates the show with a passion but has to keep coming back because it's the only thing that keeps him semi-relevant and that just makes him even more bitter. Time to move along.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

Yeah ever since he returned- which I was excited about it when he came back- he hasn’t seemed all that into it or his partners. I thought he and Heather would have made a good team but he never seemed into it and then he got hurt and she worked  better with Alan when Maks wasn’t able to.

If he’s done.. he should be done. The fact that Tom said it was a personal thing and both his brother and wife were there.. I mean.. the people article makes the most sense. And it’s not a stretch to hear Maks has a problem with a partner, I’m more surprised when he gets along with his partners. 

I will say it is strange that Banessa is the one that’s caused him to miss a show for a night, I agree with someone who said on the episode thread that Hope and him were always fighting on camera many times and he never not did a live show. So.. I don’t know. 

• Love 2

Yeah, that is where I'm at.  I don't care if Vanessa is difficult.  So are a lot of celebs that do this show.  It is Maks job as a professional to put up with both the good and bad in terms of partners and it is his job to show up no matter what.  If he can't do that then he needs to hand over his paycheck and leave and let Alan work with Vanessa.  I'm sure there are a long line of male pros more than willing to do what they need to do for a spot on the show.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, spanana said:

Yeah, that is where I'm at.  I don't care if Vanessa is difficult.  So are a lot of celebs that do this show.  It is Maks job as a professional to put up with both the good and bad in terms of partners and it is his job to show up no matter what.  If he can't do that then he needs to hand over his paycheck and leave and let Alan work with Vanessa.  I'm sure there are a long line of male pros more than willing to do what they need to do for a spot on the show.

Right, I agree. I also don’t have a problem with Vanessa that many people seem to but it’s so strange that Hope and Maks were so combative on the show and yet he was always there doing the show. And I’m sorry but all parties involved have to know that this is going to raise suspicions: the vague reasoning for why he wasn’t there, that both Val and Peta were there and therefore it couldn’t have been family related, they have to know. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Right, I agree. I also don’t have a problem with Vanessa that many people seem to but it’s so strange that Hope and Maks were so combative on the show and yet he was always there doing the show. And I’m sorry but all parties involved have to know that this is going to raise suspicions: the vague reasoning for why he wasn’t there, that both Val and Peta were there and therefore it couldn’t have been family related, they have to know. 

I think it is also possible that the 'personal reason' Maks wasn't there last night was that Vanessa got fed up with the relationship and demanded a different partner.  Since she's the 'star', she's got to be there; Maks as the pro, is replaceable.  It may have been a mutual decision or even Vanessa's decision not to dance with him; considering he always showed up when he was competing with Hope, it might not have been solely up to Maks whether he performed last night.  I think he needs to leave the show, he's clearly not happy there, but he may not have had a choice about performing last night.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think it is also possible that the 'personal reason' Maks wasn't there last night was that Vanessa got fed up with the relationship and demanded a different partner.  Since she's the 'star', she's got to be there; Maks as the pro, is replaceable.  It may have been a mutual decision or even Vanessa's decision not to dance with him; considering he always showed up when he was competing with Hope, it might not have been solely up to Maks whether he performed last night.  I think he needs to leave the show, he's clearly not happy there, but he may not have had a choice about performing last night.

That is true.  I feel like one of them is going to have to address it though if they have any hope of providing a united front going forward.  But that is the only way Maks not being there is justified.  Otherwise he needs to suck it up.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't think Vanessa is a big enough star to make demands like that. I can see that it got so ugly in rehearsals that TPTB told Maks to take the rest of the week off.

So much for the softer, gentler Maks that getting married and having a baby supposedly brought out. I personally think it's more than just the show/Vanessa that Maks is not happy with. Yes he has the kid he's always wanted but at what price?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Tonight's lineup is:

Drew, Derek, Victoria, Vanessa, Nikki, Frankie, Lindsey, Sasha, Nick, Terrell, Jordan

George P. (@abc7george) also talks about some surprise tonight.

I didn't get to see the show last night and missed whatever the surprise was. Could you please tell me? I didn't see it on the episode thread either. 

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

I didn't get to see the show last night and missed whatever the surprise was. Could you please tell me? I didn't see it on the episode thread either. 

I'm guessing it was the lack of an elimination last night. 

• Love 1

I think everyone (within the show, not necessarily the viewers)  wanted Alan to be the next big thing and were disappointed that he left the first week.  He would have probably been Vanessa's partner if not for the stupid married couple rivals thing that they had to push.  I hope Maks falls into a black hole and Alan keeps working.

• Love 6

They’re talking about Vanessa and Maks drama on E Daily pop right now and they’re making similar comments we have on these forums- how Maks is over it and how if you have a problem with work or a coworker you still have to show up and do it. They also mention how it’s strange that both Vanessa and Maks husband and wife are dancing together still and how it must be a little awkward for both couples. They also mention how this could be a publicity stunt too..

Which.. maybe? If Maks returns next week this is going to have he addressed right? Or do we think it’s going to be brushed under the rug? 

• Love 2

If true, it really must be very awkward for Nick and Peta, who seem to get along just fine themselves.  Because do you defend your partner?  Though Peta seems to be a fairly go with the flow person and Nick seems decently laid back.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, DucksFlyTogether said:

I think everyone (within the show, not necessarily the viewers)  wanted Alan to be the next big thing and were disappointed that he left the first week.  He would have probably been Vanessa's partner if not for the stupid married couple rivals thing that they had to push.  I hope Maks falls into a black hole and Alan keeps working.

Maks is an unattractive, uncreative boor (and bore) to me so I agree. I enjoyed Vanessa for the first time with Alan last night.

• Love 4

I hope this isn't true - and it's just producers trying to drum up publicity. Although, that is still sad - and the show doesn't need it.

If it is true, Maks needs to bow out of this show. He lost interest after he won the mirror ball. Vanessa can't be that bad. He's had way more difficult partners - hello Hope Solo! Either way- he still has to show up. Vanesa has potential and deserves a partner who gives 100%.

• Love 7

Again.. though what bothers me is that Maks was gone for at least two maybe more years? I guess he really wanted money and that’s why he came back as they offered some nice sum of money but.. he has seemed over it since his return with Amber. So.. I don’t know. I think what I find annoying is his attitude and the fact that he’s putting in n zero effort and then not showing up and probably still getting a paycheck. 

Let someone else be a pro. I want to know why he producers seem hung up on him. I get Val, because he seems nice and always like he’s having a good time, but Maks rarely ever does, especially now. 

Eta: per  Maks instagram- I guess he will be back next week according to the caption- and actually he changed it before I was able to screenshot, before it said something about Alan being relieved of his duties officially as of last night or something.484E6964-1CE0-4B03-BF3C-86A0E3930342.jpeg.9388878c3c87038e963b3f4be38f953d.jpeg

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

If it was Vanessa's choice to dance with another partner, then the show really threw Maks under the bus with the cryptic "personal issue" comment.

If it was Maks's choice to sit out though, it was egregiously unprofessional and he needs to get fired. Bring back Tony, who put up with the worst personalities, always with a smile.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

If it was Vanessa's choice to dance with another partner, then the show really threw Maks under the bus with the cryptic "personal issue" comment.

If it was Maks's choice to sit out though, it was egregiously unprofessional and he needs to get fired. Bring back Tony, who put up with the worst personalities, always with a smile.

I mean.. who knows. I’m thinking something happened between the two during this weeks reherseals-we didn’t see any footage with Maks and Vanessa practicing- and both parties were in foul moods and it was a decision made by both of them to not work together. I guess there’s no word that could’ve been used to explain why he was MIA last night but the fact that they used “Maks has a personal issue” makes it seem all on him and I don’t think that’s the case, I also don’t think Vanessa is to blame 100% either. I think both parties were not in the mood to deal with each other.

This shouldn’t be a thing though. I guess Maks has clout and he can decide he doesn’t want to dance and still get paid, but still it doesn’t make sense. He clearly doesn’t want to be there.

• Love 3