Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, majormama said:

Ok, I'm confused. When they say "recreate" an iconic dance, how close is it supposed to be to the original? Like actually recreating it, or just taking the song and style and reinventing it? Because I'm watching the originals on YouTube (to try to remember what the heck they even were), and Corbin's Jazz was a trio. It would be weird to have to closely copy a trio when it's not trio week.

I think maybe the idea is to re-interpret the dance, so you get a idea of spirit of the dance but not the same choreography.  It's bs but maybe that is what they are getting at.

11 hours ago, Andie1 said:

I think maybe the idea is to re-interpret the dance, so you get a idea of spirit of the dance but not the same choreography.  It's bs but maybe that is what they are getting at.

It SEEMS like they did the same thing in S11? (Jennifer's season).  They called it recreating.  I remember Kyle/Lacey recreating Mel Bs PD.  I didn't think I would like Kyle/Lacey's because Mel Bs was one of my favorites but I did.  The routine was changed a bit but I found myself comparing Lacey to Mel B more than comparing Kyle to Maks.  Maybe I'll find myself comparing Lindsay to Paige instead of comparing Jordan to Mark?

23 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Frankie Muniz and Witney Carson – Salsa – “Shake” by Yin Yang Twins & Pitbull

Just like Alfonso, we can't go a whole season without Pitbull popping his annoying little head up somehow. 

• Love 6

I dont think Jordan and Lindsay have the right spicy personality to pulloff the Proudmary dance. I dont even see pro Lindsay making a good Tina Turner, no just no. I mean I know it will be executed well but the character of the dance just doesn match their bubbly persona. I think they should have gotten Kathryn and Mark Jive 

Edited by vdw84
6 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I dont think Jordan and Lindsay have the right spicy personality to pulloff the Proudmary dance. I dont even see pro Lindsay making a good Tina Turner, no just no. I mean I know it will be executed well but the character of the dance just doesn match their bubbly persona. I think they should have gotten Kathryn and Mark Jive 

Thanks for linking.  I'm old and I forgot about this even though I was rooting for Katherine.  She and Lindsay even look a little bit alike.

Both "Proud Marys" are some of my fave dances on the show. It's always a treat to see Mark do a jive with a celeb who can match him. And that was one of the rare times I felt like Derek really danced all out (for obvious reasons) and he also didn't constrain Nicole's movements (which was IMO always a good indicator for how good a Derek partner was: How much did she move on her own, without Derek guiding her? ) and it was just...awesome. Their paso was perhaps "artsier", but this was thrilling for its sheer energy. So yeah, Lindsay and Jordan have a lot to live up to here.

The assignment for Lindsey and Mark is also interesting in that I feel that Mark doesn't like doing ballroom tangos. He also hasn't done one on the show for a long time. And again, the original is one of my fave dances on the show. The choreography is pitch-perfect, they matched it in performance and IMO Maks, for all his antics off-stage, knows how to create effects by toning it down when needed. He's super restrained in his facial expressions in that dance, and somehow becomes even more imposing with it and ramps up the tension. But then, I looooove a well-done ballroom tango. It's tough to do because there are rules and restrictions and it can be perceived as "boring", but when it succeeds, the "pure dance" aspect of it is a thrill of its own IMO. So I'm curious to see what Mark will do with it.

I think Lindsey/Mark have a tough assignment with the tango. I too thought Maks' choreography was excellent (despite what anti-Fam fans say) and Meryl's mature, professional performance quality will be hard to match. Meryl and Maks also had a different chemistry than Lindsey/Mark. I did like all three tangos Mark has done on the show (two with Kristi, one with Bristol), so I hope he and Lindsey will be well received even though they likely will not meet expectations.

With Jordan and Lindsay, I think as long as they have great jive technique and perform with a lot of energy (which they normally do), people will love it and they will get another perfect score.

3 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I think Lindsey/Mark have a tough assignment with the tango. I too thought Maks' choreography was excellent (despite what anti-Fam fans say) and Meryl's mature, professional performance quality will be hard to match. Meryl and Maks also had a different chemistry than Lindsey/Mark. I did like all three tangos Mark has done on the show (two with Kristi, one with Bristol), so I hope he and Lindsey will be well received even though they likely will not meet expectations.

With Jordan and Lindsay, I think as long as they have great jive technique and perform with a lot of energy (which they normally do), people will love it and they will get another perfect score.

Love the Meryl/Maks tango too.  I agree that they have a different chemistry than Lindsey and Mark.  Meryl and Maks had a wonderful sexual tension in this dance.  I also agree that the choreography is really good.  I also like the speed of it and Meryl was able to handle it.

Lindsey and Mark are more like creative friends.  As I previously mentioned, it's just tough to recreate iconic dances.  While Maks has a strong intense presence in the tango, Mark has amazing legs and feet in both jive clips.  He's not showboating.  He just has two good stars in Kathryn and Paige.  So even though, they can't match him, he's not overpowering them either.  I just like when pros can let go like that and not have to tone it down too much so that their stars don't look that bad.  

12 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Love the Meryl/Maks tango too.  I agree that they have a different chemistry than Lindsey and Mark.  Meryl and Maks had a wonderful sexual tension in this dance. 

I will always think of this dance as the exact moment Maks realized he needed a showmance to win the season.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I will always think of this dance as the exact moment Maks realized he needed a showmance to win the season.

Finding an angle and then working it?  Everyone does this. Everyone . 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sd601 said:

Oh damn. This is so late - and l I feel so bad for her, she wants to get to the finales so badly. Jordan is probably freaking out, he wants this for her.  If she can't compete tomorrow then she's got to rest up. It just won't be the same competition without her.  Hopefully it's only a one week thing where she can come back - like Mark did with Paige in her season.  I hate when anyone gets injured, even though these pros can mask it a lot of the time, they have to take care of their bodies.   

I hope Lindsay can dance, though I'm sure Jordan would manage to make it work with Sharna.  But Lindsay needs to be able to finish this out.

So it looks like like Victoria/Val are doing some contemporary that once again leans on her life story and her paralysis. Or at least it appears so based on the clips with Victoria literally falling out of bed while Val catches her, all while Jenna dances around in the background.  Not the whole troupe, just Jenna.  First, didn't we already get a Team Viva number about her overcoming her paralysis and telling her story?  Also second, Val, it is not necessary to insert your girlfriend in all of your dances.  I feel like he's at the point that he doesn't know what to do with Victoria so he's just throwing in the kitchen sink.  Newsflash Val.  Having a trained contemporary dancer dancing behind Victoria isn't likely to make her look better.

I honestly don't remember most of the iconic dances singled out here anyway, so it won't make much difference to me.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, spanana said:

Also second, Val, it is not necessary to insert your girlfriend in all of your dances.  I feel like he's at the point that he doesn't know what to do with Victoria so he's just throwing in the kitchen sink.  

I feel like he's at the point where he's trying to prove something with Jenna...most likely to himself. He's following in big brother's footsteps. Personally I'm tired of seeing Jenna show up in all his dances. I'm tired of seeing her show up in any dances. i'm tired  of her constant mugging for the camera.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I saw another article that said it was Lindsey Sterling who hurt her knee. Which one was it?

Hasn't Victoria done contemporary before? Why does she get to do it again?

I don't know if Lindsey is hurt, but it is Lindsay Arnold that hurt her knee and may be unable to dance tomorrow.  If she doesn't get cleared, Sharna will dance with Jordan.

No, Victoria hasn't had contemporary.  She had jazz and I feel like she maybe had a standard dance that looked a lot like a contemporary (maybe?).  For story week, she did a waltz or a foxtrot, something along those lines.

I'm not expecting Victoria to be a fantastic dancer, but her dances should be showcases for her and not someone else.  After Val's exceedingly bad judgment with the Laurie win footage last week that was somehow supposed to inspire Victoria to greatness, I hope the clips of this contemp are somehow misleading and it's not essentially another trio number, except this time where Vic needs to live up to another professional dancer.  It's not fair to her.

Don't get me wrong in that I see other couples using the troupe for their numbers, for better or worse, but most of the other couples seem to use them as part of a larger production and not as a featured role for their significant other. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I saw another article that said it was Lindsey Sterling who hurt her knee. Which one was it?

People initially had the wrong Lindsey/Lindsay.  In the first story, they had Stirling.  Then they took that story down and replaced it with Arnold.  L. Arnold was on her IGstory showing that she was getting treatment on her knee while Keo was keeping her company and entertaining her.  L. Stirling was on DancingABC's IGstory doing camera blocking.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Victoria did Jazz last time, but interestingly enough there was some Charleston in it.  Originally it was to be a Charleston but it became Jazz. 

Now she has Charleston to re-interpret as an iconic dance, and she's also doing Contemporary.

10 minutes ago, spanana said:

No, Victoria hasn't had contemporary.  She had jazz and I feel like she maybe had a standard dance that looked a lot like a contemporary (maybe?).  For story week, she did a waltz or a foxtrot, something along those lines.

It was her rumba that got comments for being more contempor-ish.

• Love 1

I don't know if it changed or if it was a typo on part of the show, but it's definitely contemporary as it has a bed as a prop and a lot of lifts.  Also Val is calling it one of the most powerful pieces he has ever done...this pic makes it seem like Val and Jenna are playing Victoria's parents.  I think it's meant to be a tribute to her parents.

ETA: According to the DWTS social media sites it's about her being in/out of consciousness over the years and I presume the effects on her parents.

Cue all 10's and CA tears in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

Not sure if this is the correct thread.....

Has anyone seen the tour? It is 15 minutes away from me, I am considering going. Are there any "stars" or just the pros? If Frankie and Jordan would be in it, I would absolutely go!

On 11/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, vdw84 said:

Ok, watching that clip was a reminder of why I loathed Mark Ballas in previous seasons, the constant manic face-pulling and mugging. I found that so distracting and frankly, obnoxious. He has toned that down 1000% this season and I can finally enjoy his choreography and dancing. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nutty1 said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread.....

Has anyone seen the tour? It is 15 minutes away from me, I am considering going. Are there any "stars" or just the pros? If Frankie and Jordan would be in it, I would absolutely go!

They haven't announced any stars yet, but I presume there will be someone.  They usually like to have at least one lately.   Though this tour is longer so maybe celebs will rotate in an out.  I feel like they usually announce the celeb on the finale.

I could see Frankie doing at least part of the tour.  I don't think his body will hold up for the whole thing.  The biggest issue is many of the celebs that do the tour wind up injured and sitting out anyway.  Especially if they just came off the most recent season and are already nursing injuries. 

I can't see Jordan doing the whole tour but maybe doing some special appearances.  Issue is a lot of the time if people are rotating in/out they don't announce ahead of time who will be at what show.

I saw the tour this past summer with DWTS pros and Rashad (plus a cameo from Nancy Kerrigan since the show was in Massachusetts).  It was excellent; exceeded my expectations! Was jam-packed with routines and a few video clips were sprinkled in.  I had seen a tour show once before in the very, very early years (after season 2 maybe?), and there was a lot of filler and fluff videos, but that was not the case with this summer's tour at all.  If the price is right, I say go for it!  There is likely to be at least one celebrity performing, too; at least that's been the trend the past few years.

2 hours ago, spanana said:

They haven't announced any stars yet, but I presume there will be someone.  They usually like to have at least one lately.   Though this tour is longer so maybe celebs will rotate in an out.  I feel like they usually announce the celeb on the finale.

I could see Frankie doing at least part of the tour.  I don't think his body will hold up for the whole thing.  The biggest issue is many of the celebs that do the tour wind up injured and sitting out anyway.  Especially if they just came off the most recent season and are already nursing injuries. 

I can't see Jordan doing the whole tour but maybe doing some special appearances.  Issue is a lot of the time if people are rotating in/out they don't announce ahead of time who will be at what show.

I wonder if Rashad will join them again for some of it.

35 minutes ago, Bosstonz16 said:

I saw the tour this past summer with DWTS pros and Rashad (plus a cameo from Nancy Kerrigan since the show was in Massachusetts).  It was excellent; exceeded my expectations! Was jam-packed with routines and a few video clips were sprinkled in.  I had seen a tour show once before in the very, very early years (after season 2 maybe?), and there was a lot of filler and fluff videos, but that was not the case with this summer's tour at all.  If the price is right, I say go for it!  There is likely to be at least one celebrity performing, too; at least that's been the trend the past few years.

I saw it back around Season 8. All I really remember of it was that Derek and Cheryl were fantastic and Karina was hurt so she and Maks barely performed, though he was out there before the show started schmoozing everyone sitting on the floor.

6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Ok, watching that clip was a reminder of why I loathed Mark Ballas in previous seasons, the constant manic face-pulling and mugging. I found that so distracting and frankly, obnoxious. He has toned that down 1000% this season and I can finally enjoy his choreography and dancing. 

Mark toned down his performance style starting in Season 17. I've been a fan from the beginning, though.

• Love 2

I just saw on the dwts fb that  Drew and Emma have Paso as their redemption dance - they have Bruno coaching.

Jordan and Lindsay have Charleston - Len is coaching.  

Frankie and Witney have Foxtrot with a solo - Carrie Ann is coaching

So that leaves Julianne I guess to coach  Lindsay and Mark?  

Edited by Andiethewestie
ETA additional information

Cute video of Corbin and Jordan from last week. Wow is jordan a Disney fan. 

8 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

I just saw on the dwts fb that  Drew and Emma have Paso as their redemption dance - they have Bruno coaching.

Jordan and Lindsay have Charleston - Len is coaching.  

Frankie and Witney have Foxtrot with a solo - Carrie Ann is coaching

So that leaves Julianne I guess to coach  Lindsay and Mark?  

Frankie and Witney are doing their Foxtrot as a redemption dance? Their first dance? I loved that one. I actually voted for Frankie that week. Don't change it! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sd601 said:

Cute video of Corbin and Jordan from last week. Wow is jordan a Disney fan. 

Frankie and Witney are doing their Foxtrot as a redemption dance? Their first dance? I loved that one. I actually voted for Frankie that week. Don't change it! 

From what I understand the redemption dance is......the couple tries to improve on the dance with the original choreography. The goal is to receive higher scores than they got when they originally danced it.

4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

From what I understand the redemption dance is......the couple tries to improve on the dance with the original choreography. The goal is to receive higher scores than they got when they originally danced it.

They are using the same choreography?  Len didn't like Jordan and Lindsay's Charleston because it didn't have enough Charleston content.  In previous years, they would do the same style but could change the choreography and/or song.

• Love 1

Just curious... does anyone know why Maks and Peta have been sort of MIA these past few weeks (since being eliminated)? I know Maks made a brief appearance last week after Mark and Lindsey's tango... but usually the pros are part of the troupe once their star leaves the show... e.g., Sharna and Artem are there all the time, and perform between the contestant dances.

Perhaps their contract is different and they don't have to participate in the post-shows.

I'm sure they'll be there for the finale.

Update on what is happening for Week 10

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2017/11/17/dancing-with-the-stars-season-25-week-10-finals-songs-dances-details/

Can you believe that the Dancing with the Stars Finals are happening next week?!

Here’s what’s happening:

On Monday, Julianne Hough returns as a guest judge, and the four finalists will each perform two dances: a Redemption Style dance (paso doblé, foxtrot, Charleston or quickstep), and a Freestyle dance – one of the biggest competitive dances of the season.

Pitbull and Fifth Harmony will perform their latest single, “Por Favor,” and Alexander Jean will be performing “Wouldn’t Change Anything,” with a dance by Julianne.

At the end of the night, based on scores and votes from last Monday, one couple will be eliminated.

On Tuesday, The remaining three couples will have one last night of competitive dancing, vying to score some extra judges’ points. Viewers can participate in an online-only vote for the remaining couples, where, at the end of the night, one of them will be crowned the “Dancing with the Stars” champion.

During the show on Tuesday, as the three finalists advance to the final stage of the competition, there will also be live Christmas spectacular performance at both The Grove. The couples will each perform two dances. The first will be a repeat performance of their favorite dance from earlier in the season.

Check out the full song and dance list below!

Drew Scott & Emma Slater
Redemption: Paso Doblé – “Get Ready” by Rayelle
Freestyle: “The Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line” by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies

Frankie Muniz & Witney Carson
Redemption: Foxtrot – “I Won’t Dance” by Frank Sinatra
Freestyle: “Run Boy Run” by Woodkid

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay Arnold
Redemption: Charleston – “Bad Man” by Pitbull feat. Robin Thicke, Joe Perry and Travis Barker
Freestyle: “Puttin’ on the Ritz 2017 (Jazzy Radio Mix)” by Taco feat. tomX

Lindsey Stirling & Mark Ballas
Redemption: Quickstep – “Barflies at the Beach” by Royal Crown Revue
Freestyle: ”Remember the Name” by Fort Minor feat. Styles of Beyond/“Palladio” by Escala (Medley)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bliss said:

Just curious... does anyone know why Maks and Peta have been sort of MIA these past few weeks (since being eliminated)?

The show seemed to want very little to do after his disappearing act so they were probably happy to tell him to stay home. And Peta is his little puppet who does whatever he does.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, realdancemom said:

They are using the same choreography?  Len didn't like Jordan and Lindsay's Charleston because it didn't have enough Charleston content.  In previous years, they would do the same style but could change the choreography and/or song.

I guess my memory had it incorrect. Are Jordan and Lindsey doing the Charleston as their redemption dance? If they are, I surely hope they do add more Charleston content to please Len.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I hope Maks and Peta are gone for good. They can take Val, Derek, Julianne and Mark with them.

I haven't heard any of those songs except Puttin on the Ritz.

The Freestyle that Riker and Allison did in Season 20 was danced  to "I Won't Dance" but it's the Fred Astaire version.   Frankie is doing the Frank Sinatra version 

"I Won't Dance (Step Up 3D Remix)"—Fred Astaire

1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I guess my memory had it incorrect. Are Jordan and Lindsey doing the Charleston as their redemption dance? If they are, I surely hope they do add more Charleston content to please Len.

Yes they are doing Charleston as redemption and Len wants to see Lindy in it. 

I just watched Jordan and Lindsey's original Charleston and was reminded they performed this dance as action heroes. I'm glad they can lose the theme and perform a dance that will be more true to the genre. Their original Charleston was performed wonderfully but I saw so little Charleston content, I agree with Len. I'm looking forward to this redemption dance.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Yuck on the on-line voting.  That always sucks for the West Coast.

The Tuesday show will be from 9-11 EST. That is 6-8pm Pacific time. If they care enough, West Coasters can have the voting site up during the second hour and refresh every now and then until the voting opens.

3 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Do we have any clue what's happening with the 3 finalists performing 2 dances on Tuesday?  What dances are they performing, and how is that being determined? 

On Tuesday, each couple repeats their favorite dance and then does the 24-hour fusion dance. More specific info will most likely be released Monday night/Tuesday morning once we know the Top 3 finalists. 

24 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

On Tuesday, each couple repeats their favorite dance and then does the 24-hour fusion dance. More specific info will most likely be released Monday night/Tuesday morning once we know the Top 3 finalists. 

Thanks!

I wonder when they will do the on line voting on Tuesday? This will be interesting, but I doubt that ABC would do it if they didn't have an idea of the outcome.  If the vote is for the favorite dance of the season,  as a Jordan and Lindsay fan I hope they re-do their Jive because for me even though all their dances were great, especially their Contemporary, Rumba, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Paso and Salsa the Jive really was the crowd pleaser of the season and got the most praise from the judges. I think the last 2 weeks, first the Trio Salsa and then the Jive has really turned out the vote for them, and since they have arguably the smallest fan base they are going to need to go with the dance that pulled out all the stops. 

• Love 1