Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

It would make more sense to use All Star athletes since 4-6 weeks is too short to get to know new athletes.   I would remove Laurie and Meryl from your list since they already won.  Plus, I would add some male stars with female pros.  So my list would be:

1.  Paige/Mark

2.  Nastia/Val

3. Simone/Sasha

4. Nancy/Artem

5. James/Sharna or Charlie/Sharna

6. Calvin/Lindsay?  Or another football player?

Val isn't an option since he'll be touring during the mini season. And I don't think Charlie White will ever step foot near DWTS again.

I would love to see Jason Taylor back with Edyta. I loved him.  I know he also won, but give me another season of Rashad and Emma, even if it's only a few weeks.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Congratulations to them. I've always loved Kym. But something about her relationship with Robert has always bugged me.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Val isn't an option since he'll be touring during the mini season. And I don't think Charlie White will ever step foot near DWTS again.

I would love to see Jason Taylor back with Edyta. I loved him.  I know he also won, but give me another season of Rashad and Emma, even if it's only a few weeks.

Congratulations to them. I've always loved Kym. But something about her relationship with Robert has always bugged me.

I forgot about the tour.  There were more male pros picked in the original list anyway.  That's too bad about Charlie.  I also enjoyed watching him and I think Sharna learned from that experience.  That was the first time she had a "ringer" and she said that she gave him too much.  James would still be a good choice for her.

6 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I forgot about the tour.  There were more male pros picked in the original list anyway.  That's too bad about Charlie.  I also enjoyed watching him and I think Sharna learned from that experience.  That was the first time she had a "ringer" and she said that she gave him too much.  James would still be a good choice for her.

Charlie an an All-Star athlete would be wonderful, and it would be a much better experience for him without Meryl. IMO, the way things turned out Season 18 had nothing to do with anything Charlie/Sharna did or did not do. It was unfortunate that Charlie shared a fanbase with Meryl and the show was set to use him as a sacrificial lamb for Meryl/Maks. 

I thought Charlie was fantastic and he and Sharna were a great partnership. For me, Charlie's posture, carriage, musicality, timing, and polish came the closest in the series to matching the male pros (naturally, given his profession). I thought his foxtrot and quickstep were sublime. While the standard ballroom dances were slightly more his forte than Latin, I also really liked his cha cha, rumba, jive, and paso. In no way did I think Sharna gave him "too much." The level of difficulty of his dances were exactly what I expect for a contestant of his caliber. There were a couple of dances that weren't absolutely flawless, but so what? It did not take away from my enjoyment of his dancing. And if you're perfect all the time, people will just find other things to complain and criticize.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

Charlie an an All-Star athlete would be wonderful, and it would be a much better experience for him without Meryl. IMO, the way things turned out Season 18 had nothing to do with anything Charlie/Sharna did or did not do. It was unfortunate that Charlie shared a fanbase with Meryl and the show was set to use him as a sacrificial lamb for Meryl/Maks. 

I thought Charlie was fantastic and he and Sharna were a great partnership. For me, Charlie's posture, carriage, musicality, timing, and polish came the closest in the series to matching the male pros (naturally, given his profession). I thought his foxtrot and quickstep were sublime. While the standard ballroom dances were slightly more his forte than Latin, I also really liked his cha cha, rumba, jive, and paso. In no way did I think Sharna gave him "too much." The level of difficulty of his dances were exactly what I expect for a contestant of his caliber. There were a couple of dances that weren't absolutely flawless, but so what? It did not take away from my enjoyment of his dancing. And if you're perfect all the time, people will just find other things to complain and criticize.

The "too much" comment was from Sharna.  She probably felt bad that he was eliminated too early so she was blaming herself.  I didn't think that he was given too much.  I also liked his relationship with Sharna. 

• Love 1

I think it could be because we've never really witnessed the blossoming of their relationship from Kym's side. It's mostly been Robert whom we've seen and heard fawning over her. And since Kym is sweet to everyone, for me, it is hard to tell whether she has particularly strong feelings for anyone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I also loved Charlie. His Supercalifragilistic dance is one I still rewatch. I hate what the show did to him and how they used him to get Maks his mirrorball. But Charlie seemed very aware of what was going on, and he seemed to have no use for the C fam. He gets points for that.

1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

I think it could be because we've never really witnessed the blossoming of their relationship from Kym's side. It's mostly been Robert whom we've seen and heard fawning over her. And since Kym is sweet to everyone, for me, it is hard to tell whether she has particularly strong feelings for anyone.

Yes. And the fact Robert was just getting out of a marriage and he apparently didn't take it well. It seemed like he latched onto the first woman who came along. And then I got really creeped out by those pics of him visiting a dominatrix and being tied up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, howmanywords said:

a CBros free season is making me love it already.

From ETOnline: Witney Carson Drops Out of the DWTS Winter Tour Due to a Family-Related Illness

Witney's Father-in-Law is dying of Pancreatic Cancer--he's had it for about a year & a half, but it was recently found to have metastasized throughout his abdominal area & they say he doesn't have much time left, though he's apparently also going to try more aggressive chemotherapy. She's leaving the tour to support her husband & his family at this time. She apparently will not be replaced in the show's cast; her show partner, Frankie Muniz, remains in the cast. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

So, Frankie will dance alone ? lol

They'll probably give the numbers Frankie & Witney were supposed to do to other female pros (Shrugs). But I don't know who. I'm thinking more than 1 of the pros though. Really, I don't think this is much different than something like when Alan subbed in for Maks sort of recently. It's just that this time, the pro who can't perform isn't sick or injured.

• Love 1

I read in the recent PEOPLE magazine that Val Ch. will have a book coming out in the spring...sounds like a type of memoir, coming to America, etc....I guess it could be interesting....I guess the Brothers want to keep their name out there.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I read in the recent PEOPLE magazine that Val Ch. will have a book coming out in the spring...sounds like a type of memoir, coming to America, etc....I guess it could be interesting....I guess the Brothers want to keep their name out there.

I think it's wonderful that they've made something of themselves, but I also think it's time for them to move on. I feel the same way about their "family over everything" schtick.

As much as I'd love to see Paige and Mark grace the ballroom one more time, I don't really want the spring to be all returning athlete stars. Maybe I could get on board with like five returning "stars" and five newbie stars though.

Also agreeing with those up thread who think we could see a few new pros this season. It seems like this abbreviated season would be a little less high pressure situation to throw a Hayley, a Brittany Cherry or a Paul K. or even a new pro borrowed from SCD into the mix.

One name I'd definitely keep an eye out for is Danica Patrick, as she's mostly retired from NASCAR (although I think she wants to run the Indy 500 and at Daytona one more time in 2018). She's also newly single which means total showmance potential lol. Also figure with the timing, if we don't get all returning athletes....we should get a couple coming off the Winter Olympic games (names to watch out for would be Nathan Chen, or the skating siblings the Shibutani's, snowboarders Shaun White and Chloe Kim, Lindsey Vonn or Mikaela Shiffrin from skiing, etc.)

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Maybe I could get on board with like five returning "stars" and five newbie stars though.

How fair would it be for newbies though? And who would agree to put themselves at such a disadvantage? Returning ones have experience, fan base, rapport with the pro... I wouldn't do that if I were a newbie.

• Love 1

Didn't say it would be fair or unfair. Only said I didn't want all returnees (as speculation farther upthread talked about). All newbies is what I would most want to see, but I could live with a cast that was half and half. If the returnees were those athletes who didn't advance very far in their original seasons and they weren't repaired with their original partners...that's an even better set up for that hypothetical situation.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
On 12/11/2017 at 10:15 PM, Toonces464 said:

I don't get the feeling from things he's said that Charlie's DWTS experience was very enjoyable.

Of course it wasn't, the poor guy was paired with ole Sharner....

DWTSGossip on twitter mentioned that there has at least been initial contact between the show and female UFC fighter Chris "Cyborg" Justino. That's the first concrete athlete speculation I've seen regarding the all sports people spring season.

She tweeted herself today that she knew Paige would be a great source of info if she took on the ballroom.

Grains of salt and all that, but it'seems something and someone to file away...

CYBORG? 

Wow.

Love her as a fighter but she's not exactly graceful although she does have good footwork in the cage and I'm sure has rhythm. 

A couple nimble fighters I'd like to see asked are Demetrius Johnson and Dominick Cruz.

• Love 1

I'm curious whether anyone else here has seen the current tour... I saw it twice (Jan. 5th and 7th here in Canada - both were to celebrate my birthday as my wonderful friends know how much I love DWTS) and thoroughly enjoyed the performances, music, costumes and banter among the pros and stars (Jordan and Frankie). I really liked the video inserts they included.

My tickets were gifts, so I can't complain about the cost - and both concerts were in awesome theatres with excellent sound and seating.

• Love 2

Oh, my goodness. I'd heard about that crash on our local news last night, but I hadn't heard that part of it.

That's awful. I'm glad that everyone on the bus is okay, though. The footage from the accident scenes looked pretty grim.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:03 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

It's been confirmed today by multiple sources that the all-athlete season will debut on April 30th (8pm--10pm).

Wow that's a late start.  We're usually looking at early-mid March, right? 

On 1/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, Bliss said:

I'm curious whether anyone else here has seen the current tour...

I saw it almost exactly a year ago (I want to say February 9?).  My dad was a big DWTS fan and we'd watch the show together when I lived in his city.  When I moved, we'd call each other during commercial break.  He had cancer but still got us tickets to go see it live in early December 2016.  He passed 12/26/16.  My boyfriend was awesome enough to go with me despite not watching the show and actually enjoyed himself.  It was a good show.  Our seats were way too far away to really enjoy it though. 

Edited: About 30 minutes after writing this, I checked my Facebook and my FB memories showed that it was a year ago today we saw the show live.  Ironic. 

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2018 at 8:36 PM, Bosstonz16 said:

I follow quite a few of the pros on IG and it was weird how there was a complete shutdown of their posting anything for nearly 24 hrs.  (Only Jordan, who was not with them on the buses, tweeted a little 'glad they're ok' msg.)  One or two who had posted IG stories of the almost white-out road conditions prior to the accident, seemed to have deleted those videos.  These folks LIVE on their social media.  It made me wonder if they really were ok.   Then the cynical side of me wondered if a producer had told them all to be quiet while an "exclusive" was being sold to one of the entertainment news shows.   Then the dancingabc IG account posted a pic of 3 of the ladies happily doing their hair and makeup.  While I'm sure the bus was going slow, I'm sure none of them were in seat belts and they probably got pretty jostled.  Now a day later, still really nothing being posted. A couple posted a 'thanks for your concern' message.  I hope they all really are ok.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Uke said:

I follow quite a few of the pros on IG and it was weird how there was a complete shutdown of their posting anything for nearly 24 hrs.  (Only Jordan, who was not with them on the buses, tweeted a little 'glad they're ok' msg.)  One or two who had posted IG stories of the almost white-out road conditions prior to the accident, seemed to have deleted those videos.  These folks LIVE on their social media.  It made me wonder if they really were ok.   Then the cynical side of me wondered if a producer had told them all to be quiet while an "exclusive" was being sold to one of the entertainment news shows.   Then the dancingabc IG account posted a pic of 3 of the ladies happily doing their hair and makeup.  While I'm sure the bus was going slow, I'm sure none of them were in seat belts and they probably got pretty jostled.  Now a day later, still really nothing being posted. A couple posted a 'thanks for your concern' message.  I hope they all really are ok.

I noticed the radio silence as well; a few of them are starting to post a bit again now and it seems like they are all ok.  Sounded like it was the bus that transports Emma, Sasha, Lindsay, her husband Sam, Brandon, and usually Jordan.  Everyone apparently performed in last night's show, so I think they are ok, but probably shaken up.  I live on the east coast and our news was covering the accident; just an absolute tragedy.

22 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I'm curious whether anyone else here has seen the current tour...

I saw the show in Portland, Maine and LOVED it!  I also saw the summer tour last June when it came to my hometown.  I was on the fence about shelling out the money to go see this tour since I had just seen one, but I found a great deal and am glad I went.  Jordan was my favorite performer this season and he did not disappoint.  He is super high energy and engaging and joined the professionals in many of their group numbers in addition to all his routines with Lindsay; I was really impressed with his showmanship, and feel like musicals/Broadway are the perfect fit for his array of skills.  Frankie dances less, but does many bits as an emcee of sorts and earned lots of laughs from the audience.  The shows packs in a ton of materials and there are no dull moments.  I didn't do this, but apparently if you wait by the tour busses the performers come out afterwards and are very willing to engage with the fans to take photos and sign autographs.  Like the poster above, I think the show is great and I'd encourage fans to check it out if it's within budget.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bosstonz16 said:

I noticed the radio silence as well; a few of them are starting to post a bit again now and it seems like they are all ok.  Sounded like it was the bus that transports Emma, Sasha, Lindsay, her husband Sam, Brandon, and usually Jordan.  Everyone apparently performed in last night's show, so I think they are ok, but probably shaken up.  I live on the east coast and our news was covering the accident; just an absolute tragedy.

Thanks! That's good to hear. My local ABC affiliate mentioned their bus was involved but they only talked about the overall accident.  For a group so dependent on healthy legs and knees and ankles, they were very lucky!

I live in Fort Wayne (IN). Despite the tour bus accident in Iowa, they appear to have gotten here in 1 piece (I know they canceled the Ames, IA show after the accident--that's what they said in what I read about the accident, anyway--but I wonder if they stopped wherever you'd think they were supposed to stay after the Ames show, or if they just drove straight on through to here). & they were apparently able to do the show here last night.

Unfortunately I didn't get to go because of my ongoing health issues. Also unfortunately, neither our print or all-digital local papers printed much, if anything, about the show.

The only thing I saw, besides notices the tour was coming to town & ticket sale info, is this small thing; it's an extra edition of our (usually on Tuesdays) local restaurant news column (from our now primarily digital evening paper--they still print certain content from this paper & publish it as an insert with our daily morning paper), saying that Frankie Muniz apparently got his lunch yesterday from a local Jimmy John's sandwich shop, which is "within walking distance" of the Embassy Theatre, the local venue where the show played.

On 12/18/2017 at 3:50 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

As much as I'd love to see Paige and Mark grace the ballroom one more time, I don't really want the spring to be all returning athlete stars. Maybe I could get on board with like five returning "stars" and five newbie stars though.

Also agreeing with those up thread who think we could see a few new pros this season. It seems like this abbreviated season would be a little less high pressure situation to throw a Hayley, a Brittany Cherry or a Paul K. or even a new pro borrowed from SCD into the mix.

One name I'd definitely keep an eye out for is Danica Patrick, as she's mostly retired from NASCAR (although I think she wants to run the Indy 500 and at Daytona one more time in 2018). She's also newly single which means total showmance potential lol. Also figure with the timing, if we don't get all returning athletes....we should get a couple coming off the Winter Olympic games (names to watch out for would be Nathan Chen, or the skating siblings the Shibutani's, snowboarders Shaun White and Chloe Kim, Lindsey Vonn or Mikaela Shiffrin from skiing, etc.)

Sorry for the late response; it seems I get everywhere but here lately.

Anyway, if you haven't already heard, Danica Patrick is Dating Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers. She announced it around the middle of January/about 3 days before the date on the post by you quoted above. So, at least for now, she's no longer single. And she's planning her last 2 races to be this year's Daytona 500 (for which she has sponsorship from Go Daddy & a car to drive); & Indy 500 (the Go Daddy sponsorship covers this race, too, but she still hasn't got a car to drive in Indy).

Their first public event as a couple was, apparently, when Aaron played in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Celebrity Golf Tournament this past Tuesday.

Anyone starting an Olympic athlete watch for potential stars?

Mirai Nagasu is adorable, and has her eyes on DWTS

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mirai-nagasu-just-landed-triple-axel-olympics-heres-prepared-big-moment-033355679.html

She’s also got her eye on another form of competition… “I’m definitely going to be plugging myself here,” she says with a chuckle, “but some athletes get to make their debut on Dancing With the Stars, and so I’m hoping my personality will win me a spot on that show.” Who is her dream partner? “Definitely Mark Ballas,” she says, “because he definitely helped Kristi [Yamaguchi] win the Mirror Ball.”

If it were a regular season I could see that young snowboarder (Red Gerard?) being the type to get paired with a young/new pro (like a Jenna or a Hayley) and being quick and early out, but not sure how that would play out with this short season.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
6 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

They can try to cash in on siblings. Houghs and Shibutanis.

They. Are. On it. ;)

shibutani_maia_blog1_800x375_3.jpg?la=en

(I know there’s a close to 0% chance if this happening, I can’t see Julianne ever signing on as a pro again and Derek really shouldn’t - though that hasn’t stopped him in the past. But if it did it would 100% lead to Derek winning another one)

21 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

They. Are. On it. ;)

shibutani_maia_blog1_800x375_3.jpg?la=en

(I know there’s a close to 0% chance if this happening, I can’t see Julianne ever signing on as a pro again and Derek really shouldn’t - though that hasn’t stopped him in the past. But if it did it would 100% lead to Derek winning another one)

Can Derek even do DWTS? Isn’t he doing Jennifer Lopez’s dance show still? And that’s on NBC so I assume If he’s on that dance show he can’t do DWTS.

23 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Can Derek even do DWTS? Isn’t he doing Jennifer Lopez’s dance show still? And that’s on NBC so I assume If he’s on that dance show he can’t do DWTS.

I doubt he can. I also doubt he really wants to, I feel like he’s done all he can on the show and he’s got plenty of other stuff going on. He always says “never say never” when he’s asked though, and it’s seemed like it would be impossible for him to come back before and he’s somehow popped up so who knows with him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I doubt he can. I also doubt he really wants to, I feel like he’s done all he can on the show and he’s got plenty of other stuff going on. He always says “never say never” when he’s asked though, and it’s seemed like it would be impossible for him to come back before and he’s somehow popped up so who knows with him.

I was just wondering since they are on compeating networks. I remember when SYTYCD had their anniversary special and they couldn’t get very many old dancers back because a lot of them were locked in contracts from other networks/dancing shows. Some of them being locked in contract with ABC/DWTS actually. 

Also yeah I don’t think Derek wants to come back either. I also doubt Julieane will ever be a pro again, unsure if she’ll return as a judge. I don’t think she will, at least not for a permanent season one. I’m sure she’ll do what she did last season and come back to guest judge sometimes. 

According to some pretty reputable twitter sources like Kristyn Burtt today, we are getting DWTS Jr after all. She had a quick video post of Sasha and Emma watching the casting process (of the Kid pro's, I believe).

The Jr. edition will follow the Athlete's edition. Not sure if it'll be back to back or if there will be a break in between. If they run them back to back it'll be like having one full regular season week-wise split into two.

**Yeah my Danica Patrick/showmance possibility post didn't age well lol. I still wouldn't rule her out in the athlete season.

***My Olympic possible candidate rankings for the athlete season would now be Maia and Alex Shibutani, Chloe Kim, Red Gerard (the 17 year old kid who won the men's snowboard slopestyle), Mirai Nagasu (she seriously is self-promoting herself, maybe it'll pay off), Jessie Diggins (even though she didn't win a X-Country ski medal I feel like her profile was definitely raised), and the mustache'd guy from the U.S. curling team :-)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

If they did a poll asking if viewers would rather see:

A.  Eight weeks of athletes

or

B. Four weeks of athletes and four weeks of children

I doubt the results would even be close.  But, in the dim hope of gaining a few new, younger viewers, the producers are willing to lose large numbers of loyal viewers.  I guess they learned nothing from the SYTYCD children's season debacle.

• Love 3