Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 3/30/2018 at 8:33 AM, classique said:

My top choice for a football player to do the show would be Jimmy Garoppolo. He's gorgeous and has a great personality.

My top choice for a football player would be Colin Kaepernick.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Karina I think left on her own.

Karina had a TON of injuries. I think she left to protect her body. Dancing pays her bills, and this show will end some day and she'll still need to pay the bills. Not sure it was the reason she left, but being around her ex-fiance, his new wife, and baby couldn't have been her favorite aspect of the later seasons. But Artem and Carrie Anne keep it pretty professional. I'm sure Karina could ignore the elephant in the room, but maybe Maks couldn't. 

Pretty sure Tony "aged out" of the show. They gave him challenging contestants for years, and they made his job harder than the other pros.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I'm sure Karina could ignore the elephant in the room, but maybe Maks couldn't. 

I would have to agree with this.  Especially seeing Maks behavior with Vanessa Lachey this past season. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I would have to agree with this.  Especially seeing Maks behavior with Vanessa Lachey this past season. 

I would too. Maks was clearly trying to start something up with Karina again when they did BWAT together and she wasn't interested. I honestly don't think she gives him or his ridiculous stunts a second thought.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Why do Hollywood TPTB think we need more Tonya Harding?  Please someone riddle me this.

She got another 15 minutes because of the movie I, Tonya which, instead of being a "straight" biopic, was more like a "black comedy" version of her life (or so I heard/saw it described once); to a probably lesser extent, because the movie got another 15 minutes after actress Allison Janney (known for The West WingMom, Masters of Sex--the shows for which she's won her 7 Emmys, to date--plus a bunch of other movie, TV, & Broadway/Stage roles) won in 1 of the (I'd count) 6 major Oscar categories, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, for her portrayal of Tonya's mom, LaVona Golden; Australian-born actress Margot Robbie was also up for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, for playing Tonya, but lost to Frances McDormand (BTW, I'd consider the 6 major Oscar categories to be Best Performance by a Lead Actor & Lead Actress, Best Performance by a Supporting Actor & Actress, Best Director & Best Picture).

And I suppose the DWTS producers thought it might be interesting to have Tonya on--if she'd do it, which I figured she would because of the money; & it would be like the athletic/reality show equivalent of the old "equal time" rule regarding political candidates & at least the amount of TV time each got during campaigns, if Tonya did the show too since Nancy Kerrigan, Tonya's (alleged) arch rival at the major figure skating competitions & the Olympics, & the victim of a steel pipe attack intent on injuring her dominant skating leg, in order to try & keep her out of the upcoming Olympics--which Tonya was found/believed to have been involved with--was in DWTS during 1 of the last 2 seasons.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add punctuation.

And with this I think I'm out for good. Tonya Harding has remained unrepentant for her role in Nancy's attack. She can't even muster up sympathy. Fuck off with giving her more attention. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I think some people kept dumbass Lochte on the show way past his expiration date because they thought he was cute. Tonya, however, would be the first voted off. 

The show loves to have contestants who create buzz.  If Tonya is drawing in viewers, I think she will be kept on for a while.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I think some people kept dumbass Lochte on the show way past his expiration date because they thought he was cute. Tonya, however, would be the first voted off. 

Just humor me. What if she's good, though?

I mean, she is athletic and does have rhythm. If she dances well in her first performance, I think her infamy keeps her there past round one. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I mean, she is athletic and does have rhythm. If she dances well in her first performance, I think her infamy keeps her there past round one. 

I don't think she's in shape anymore, Even when she was, she wasn't very graceful. Of all the available skaters who expressed interest in being on the show, she was the best they could get?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Because the show has never been solely, or even mostly, about talent, but popularity.  I think she could be the best dancer they've ever had and she'd still be voted off first.

(edited)

But how many times in DWTS history has the most "controversial" or "heinous" (or pick your negative adjective) cast member actually been voted off first? Usually, the first person to be eliminated is someone who has the least widespread visibility. Diana Nyad ring any bells? Or Mike Catherwood the LA DJ guy, or Redfoo, or Barbara Corcoran? Or alternatively they have more visibility and notoriety but have almost no dance skill (or actively seem like they are hating the experience).

All that to say, I'm sure Tonya could go week one (I'm assuming every week we are losing two)....but I wouldn't bet a large sum of money on it happening.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Now I understand all the anger about Ryan Lochte being on DWTS. Tonya Harding should not be on this show.

Aaand... they just lost me. A shame. I would have watched for Adam. But Harding - nope, nope, nope.

The jury's still out about whether they've lost me altogether or just for this season. I've gritted my teeth through a lot of tasteless stuntcasting before (the aforementioned Lochte being one example; various highly objectionable political or politically-connected figures being others). But regardless of how distasteful I found them - or whether I found myself skipping early episodes until they were booted off - none of them has caused quite this visceral a "hell, no" reaction for me at announcement time. Enough, show.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Because the show has never been solely, or even mostly, about talent, but popularity.  I think she could be the best dancer they've ever had and she'd still be voted off first.

True. Or she could be the worst dancer and stay for quite a while.  If TPTB want her to stay, they can make it happen. Or the reverse.  

• Love 1

It's all about ratings...of COURSE they would ask Tanya after her new visibility.  The thing is the people who vote sometimes "hate vote" and some like a redemption story so I imagine she will be in for awhile if she plays nice. Plus she might not be a bad dancer....we shall see.  Just hope I still like Adam after this is all over and it all doesn't go to his head if he is one of the contenders. 

• Love 2

I don't even think Tonya would get ratings anymore. You would have to be as old as I am to remember what she did, and a lot of younger viewers have no idea who she is. Did anyone even watch that movie? I don't remember it being a big deal until it was nominated for an Oscar. 

They already have Adam for the "controversy" storyline and he's hell of a lot more likable than Harding.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't even think Tonya would get ratings anymore. You would have to be as old as I am to remember what she did, and a lot of younger viewers have no idea who she is. Did anyone even watch that movie? I don't remember it being a big deal until it was nominated for an Oscar. 

It was nominated for an Oscar?  See, I'm old enough (about Tonya's age I think) to remember the whole pipe to the knee drama but remember hearing something about a movie about her but know nothing else.  

SuprSuprElevated, picture perfect!

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

It was nominated for an Oscar?  See, I'm old enough (about Tonya's age I think) to remember the whole pipe to the knee drama but remember hearing something about a movie about her but know nothing else.  

SuprSuprElevated, picture perfect!

I, Tonya - the film about Tonya Harding was one of the biggest movies during this year's Award season. It got Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actress (for Margot Robbie who played Tonya) and Best Supporting Actress (for Alison Janney who played Tonya's mother. She won by the way). So as the poster noted, yes, that's why the show is being its usual shameless self and having her on because that movie thrust her back in the spotlight and for some, did humanize and make her empathetic. It was actually the main reason some were critical of the film. That they thought it made her too sympathetic (there was a lot of focus on the abusive husband and abusive mother), especially because many still believe she completely knew and helped plan the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, even if she still denies it to this day. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, AyeMada said:

General Hospital RUMOR: Is Steve Burton Joining Dancing With The Stars?

https://www.soapoperaspy.com/2018/general-hospital-rumor-is-steve-burton-joining-dancing-with-the-stars/

Well it's not this season since it's athletes only and I highly doubt they're signing people already for fall so it's just a rumor.  The article said that as well.

truthaboutluv, thank you for the update on the movie.  For as much TV as I watch, I am clueless about movies most of the time.

ShaNaeNae,

For all the buzz about the Tonya movie, I don't think it even cleared 30 million. That's a lot of much ado about nothing.

It just goes to show that no one cares about Tonya or wants to see her mug on TV.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

They already have Adam for the "controversy" storyline and he's hell of a lot more likable than Harding.

Why is Adam controversial?  I thought he was fairly viewer-friendly and I expect him to be a fan favorite. Is it because of his comments about Pence and not going to the White House?  It can't be because he's gay.  They've had other openly gay contestants on  before, even a trans contestant.  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

Why is Adam controversial?  I thought he was fairly viewer-friendly and I expect him to be a fan favorite. Is it because of his comments about Pence and not going to the White House?  It can't be because he's gay.  They've had other openly gay contestants on  before, even a trans contestant.  

Yes, I'd expect them to milk his comments about Pence. The media made a big deal when he said them, so I would expect the show to take full advantage.

I agree he should be a fan favorite, and he's a beautiful skater, so he should be a good dancer as well.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Why do Hollywood TPTB think we need more Tonya Harding?  Please someone riddle me this.

Come on.  There has to be a villain that we can learn to love, or at least learn to have sympathy for.  The casting has very similar slots every season.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

ShaNaeNae,

For all the buzz about the Tonya movie, I don't think it even cleared 30 million. That's a lot of much ado about nothing.

It just goes to show that no one cares about Tonya or wants to see her mug on TV.

It was a small independent film that made 3-4 its initial budget at the theater. Plus, scored an Oscar and multiple nominations. If that’s failure somebody sign me up.

• Love 4

Adam Rippon has been friends with Benji Schwimmer for years.  Benji, in fact, choreographed his long program.  I wonder, with that connection, if we will see Lacey come back to partner him

• Love 5
On 4/7/2018 at 3:01 PM, pally said:

I wonder, with that connection, if we will see Lacey come back to partner him

How much weight has Lacey gained?  TPTB thought she was too plump (for a TV dancer) before she left.  If she's gained anymore weight, I doubt if they'll bring her back.

I don't think she's plump at all if you google her - I think she's short and has big very muscular legs which make her look heavy on camera and that is actually the problem (not reality but appearance).  I don't think they'd ask her back because I'm sure her contract has lapsed and they'd have to make another contract - where they might have her back at the request of a specific celeb; they don't want to be stuck with her,  I think it's a shame because I was a Lacey fan - she made many silk purses out of sow's ears.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I don't think she's plump at all if you google her - I think she's short and has big very muscular legs which make her look heavy on camera and that is actually the problem (not reality but appearance).  I don't think they'd ask her back because I'm sure her contract has lapsed and they'd have to make another contract - where they might have her back at the request of a specific celeb; they don't want to be stuck with her,  I think it's a shame because I was a Lacey fan - she made many silk purses out of sow's ears.

She's not at all plump to you and I.  But when compared among Julianne, Edyta, Karina and the other female dancers TPTB considered her plump.  I think even Cheryl sometimes gets the word "plump" thrown at her as well.  Its such a shame and is it no wonder that eating disorders are rampant.  Even Peta who was always skinny has looked even skinner after giving birth. 

I liked Lacey!  She had personality to her.

But when compared among Julianne, Edyta, Karina and the other female dancers TPTB considered her plump.  I think even Cheryl sometimes gets the word "plump" thrown at her as well.  Its such a shame and is it no wonder that eating disorders are rampant.  

Modeling used to be the same way.  In the last season of Project: Runway, the designers had models of ALL sizes and they did just great.  Some of the zaftig models were the ones who had more personality and better stage presence.  

If fat celebrities can dance--AND WIN like Amber--so can fat pros.  

• Love 1

My interest level in this season is close to none.  An entire season of athletes.  With the show the third of the length, there is little to no room for any improvement arc or change of narrative.  While the winner is always predicated on some semblance of popularity, the normal format does give space for people to gain a fanbase over the course of the season.  The shortened length means there is no time for that.  If you were hated coming in, you probably will still be hated and vice versa.  Also I can't imagine anybody is going to take too kindly to the winners of this season, meaning while a mirrorball win isn't exactly respected anyway, I imagine pros/previous celebs aren't going to count this as a real win.  I'm sure whoever wins will try to count it, but in the scheme of things.  People putting in like a 1/3 of the work and getting the same "glory".  I also have to imagine that is part of the reason a lot of the more well known pros opted out.

The pro roster needs an overhaul IMO, especially the male side.  The one positive is a break from the Chmerkovskiy bros, but I can't even celebrate that since Jenna is a pro which means that Val will still be obnoxious anyway talking about how nobody deserves anything besides his lady love. Rumor has it that Jenna has Adam Rippon, so while I like Adam okay, I don't like the prospect of that.  They will both be turned up to an 11 at all times.

Tonya will be a trainwreck.  I'll throw out that I don't think I, Tonya is going to do her any favors here.  Yes, it was a big movie but I don't think that translates to sudden fans of Tonya.  If we were talking about Margot Robbie playing Tonya, but sure.  Tonya attended a few of the awards shows during awards season and it was awkward as hell.  She also seems to take herself super seriously, which is never going to work here.  The only thing in her favor is the season is so short nobody will even remember she ever did it.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

LMAO so Val made the producers give his girlfriend a ringer as payment for coming back next season? You know he is going to be inserting himself into her routines every week.

I heard someone named Josh Norman is going to be on. Never heard of him. I sure hope they have some big names on, because so far I haven't heard any confirmed. I have heard some Carlos Beltran rumors. Now he would be great!

Edited by boyznkatz

I really like Adam Rippon and find him witty and smart, but I'm disappointed that he might be paired up with Jenna.  I couldn't stand her that brief time she had Jake Whatshisname.  I didn't want him with Witney either - I wish he could have one of the more mature ones (I don't mean age, I mean behavior) - Emma, Sharna or Lindsay (though maybe Lindsay's too tall but she's a sweetheart.)

Oh well, sometimes when you don't like the pro, it's still ok if you like the celebrity as HE can bring the personality all by himself. And it's just what? 4 weeks? Which is just weird imo, but whatever. It's nice to see the Chmers and Peta take a rest. I hope it's a good season for Alan, Keo, Artem and Sasha (don't care about Gleb, who just slammed the British Strictly Come Dancing for being stodgy - nevermind their ratings are high as ever while DWTS is sinking lol.)

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2277363/gleb-on-strictly-brendan-same-sex-couples-pay/p1

Edited by Morrigan
Added link to Gleb interview
  • Love 2

If the pro cast that PURE is projecting is correct, that is really sad. Only really Alan & Jenna among the newer pros from the Troupe? Yet another chance for Keo to get eliminated first? I thought this was an ideal chance to really shake some of the cast up. Give Paul, or Hayley or Britt a try....or poach someone interesting from Strictly or a global version of the DWTS. Anything to inject some life into the petri dish that will be this 4 week sprint of a season.

As for the new news about Josh Norman...I feel like he could have a personality in the Antonio Brown range. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

So Tonya Harding, Adam Rippon, Jamie Anderson, Jennie Finch, Josh Norman, is where we are at right now. Plus someone with a connection to basketball if DWTS social media is to believed...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15