Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Due to reports of who's following whom on Twitter:  possibly Alex Rodriguez (Sharna), NFL's Cam Newton (Emma), and also rumor of UFC Paige Van Zant.  Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

And ABC's official Twitter (@DancingABC) has released the names of the pros so I think they're confirmed.

I don't know who all the athletes are but the teaser pics have made it clear that Lindsay has a basketball player, Emma has a baseball player and Sharna has a basketball player.  That much is fact since you can identify all of them in their pictures DWTS posted on their insta account.  For Lindsay, you can see her wedding ring clearly in the shot and for Sharna/Emma you can match up their costumes in these pics with their newly publicized solo shots. So if Josh Norman is on, then he is with Sharna.

Rumor has it that Witney has an Olympian.  I forget his name but he was the luge silver medalist from this past season, but that is still a rumor.  So that would leave Adam for Jenna.  But Adam is for sure with either Witney or Jenna.  Lol...I hadn't even thought of Val trying to negotiate ringers for his girlfriend.  Did he negotiate a win too?  I can only imagine how dramatic she will be each and every week.

I remember the producers or someone trying to sell this season by making it sound like we were going to have all of these new kinds of athletes we never normally have because of the shorter timeframe and etc.  Yeah, sure.  Football players, Basketball players and Figure Skaters.  It all feels so brand new.

I really wish that DWTS would diversify the pro roster, but the whole male pro list needs an overhaul.  I can't stand Val, but he and Mark are the only ones that generate any excitement and Mark's participation is hit or miss at this point.  Gleb is a douche and never going to happen and Alan has some potential.  I like Artem well enough, but he feels fairly over it at this point and only works with certain types of partners.  Maks just needs to leave the show since he's so beyond checked out.  They need to find some fresh male talent and stat.  The female pro roster is mostly fine in terms of personalities and skills, just very very very very white and one note.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

I figured if this was an athlete season we would at least get some big names, like they've had in the past (Emmitt Smith, Apolo Ohno, Kristi Yamaguchi). Someone like Cam Newton would be nice. I know he's a football player, but at least he's pretty famous. If Tonya Harding is their idea of ratings gold, then I think they are going to be disappointed.

I guess I'll see tomorrow if this season is going to be worth watching or not. 

7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I figured if this was an athlete season we would at least get some big names, like they've had in the past (Emmitt Smith, Apolo Ohno, Kristi Yamaguchi). Someone like Cam Newton would be nice. I know he's a football player, but at least he's pretty famous. If Tonya Harding is their idea of ratings gold, then I think they are going to be disappointed.

I guess I'll see tomorrow if this season is going to be worth watching or not. 

I think part of it is that this past Winters Olympics was a little low on the creating stars front that usually happens during Olympic time.  With the exception of Adam and some of the attention that was on the figure skaters (Moir/Virtue, Shib Sibs, Nathan Chen), there are very few known names coming out of these most recent games.  So unless you are going to have an entire season of figure skaters, there wasn't a ton to capitalize on.  It was a very lowkey games for the US.

29 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Due to reports of who's following whom on Twitter:  possibly Alex Rodriguez (Sharna), NFL's Cam Newton (Emma), and also rumor of UFC Paige Van Zant.  Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

And ABC's official Twitter (@DancingABC) has released the names of the pros so I think they're confirmed.

She's already participated.  Alex Rodriguez would be a big draw.  I can't see him doing it though - I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 3

Oops - sorry about that. I haven't watched DWTS in ages, 2013 I think. Adam's bringing me back (maybe). And I think it was just Sharna following A Rod (ditto Newton - Emma's father following him, I think). Probably doesn't mean anything.

Edited by Morrigan
10 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

She's already participated.  Alex Rodriguez would be a big draw.  I can't see him doing it though - I hope I'm wrong.

Rodriguez would definitely be a big draw, something they sorely need. 

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

LMAO so Val made the producers give his girlfriend a ringer as payment for coming back next season? You know he is going to be inserting himself into her routines every week.

I heard someone named Josh Norman is going to be on. Never heard of him. I sure hope they have some big names on, because so far I haven't heard any confirmed. I have heard some Carlos Beltran rumors. Now he would be great!

It's not a rumor.  nfl-star-josh-norman

• Love 1
4 hours ago, spanana said:

The pro roster needs an overhaul IMO, especially the male side.  The one positive is a break from the Chmerkovskiy bros, but I can't even celebrate that since Jenna is a pro which means that Val will still be obnoxious anyway talking about how nobody deserves anything besides his lady love. Rumor has it that Jenna has Adam Rippon, so while I like Adam okay, I don't like the prospect of that.  They will both be turned up to an 11 at all times.

Absolutely. You look at this cast of pros next to the ones we had in the earlier seasons and it's a joke. The only one of the male pros I like is Artem. I would much rather see them bring back Tony or Louis or Jonathan than keep bringing on these young kids I couldn't care less about.

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

LMAO so Val made the producers give his girlfriend a ringer as payment for coming back next season? You know he is going to be inserting himself into her routines every week.

Her consolation prize for not being allowed to go on the revisionist history tour with the fam.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Absolutely. You look at this cast of pros next to the ones we had in the earlier seasons and it's a joke. The only one of the male pros I like is Artem. I would much rather see them bring back Tony or Louis or Jonathan than keep bringing on these young kids I couldn't care less about.

Her consolation prize for not being allowed to go on the revisionist history tour with the fam.

And why are Gleb and Sharna still being given a spot? Again????

I get Sharna. I have my frustrations with her at times but she's decently popular and can put together entertaining routines when she wants to do so. She's also had some good partnerships.  She's had some crap ones too.  But for every Bonner crapfest, we had a James Hinchcliffe.  When they do the tours, she's probably considered one of the headliners at this point along with Lindsay.   At least when Val isn't there.  There is a following and certain presence.  I will say the one time I saw her live years ago, I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Gleb is just gross.  He's done zero on the show to prove himself with any of his celebs, yet bitches and complains a lot.  At least Sharna can get celebs to the finals.  What has he done?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I think Paige has been in the news because she recently revealed in her new book that she was raped at age 14 and bullied as a result. She did talk about the bullying on the show, but not the rape. Just curious, does dwts not allow people to talk about sexual assault or domestic violence? Her bully story makes a lot of sense now, but I admit I was scratching my head when she discussed it on the show.

Edited by boyznkatz
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I can understand Sharna. At this point, with this lineup, she's probably the biggest "headliner" as far as the female pros. Gleb I don't get at all. I'm not even sure why they brought him back after he appeared to be one and done. I think he was brought on to be the replacement "bad boy Russian" for Maks when he left the show but that went nowhere.....and then they brought him back the same season Maks returned to the show which didn't make any sense to me at all. I wish he'd just go away.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Oops - sorry about that. I haven't watched DWTS in ages, 2013 I think. Adam's bringing me back (maybe). And I think it was just Sharna following A Rod (ditto Newton - Emma's father following him, I think). Probably doesn't mean anything.

Alan is now following Chloe Kim. Could mean something, could mean nothing. 

• Love 1

His other recent follow is "Thug" Rose Namajunas, a current champ in the UFC. So maybe Alan has Chloe, or Rose or they are both smokescreens lol.

To me if you were going to pick one true "star" of the Pyeongchang Olympics for the United States Olympic team....it was Chloe Kim. She was undeniable and pretty much everywhere. So if DWTS managed to convince her, that's pretty awesome. However, for an actual current UFC champ (albeit one who very recently defended her title) to take a month and half off to challenge herself with DWTS, that would be pretty cool too.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I can understand Sharna. At this point, with this lineup, she's probably the biggest "headliner" as far as the female pros. Gleb I don't get at all. I'm not even sure why they brought him back after he appeared to be one and done. I think he was brought on to be the replacement "bad boy Russian" for Maks when he left the show but that went nowhere.....and then they brought him back the same season Maks returned to the show which didn't make any sense to me at all. I wish he'd just go away.

Gleb went to the Russian Dancing with the Stars after leaving the US (his wife was a judge there, so I bet she arranged it.) Anyway he was given a girl who was 18 (Adelina Sotnikova), who had just won the 2014 Olympic gold medal in figure skating, and was the ringeriest ringer who ever rang - better than Mark's Kristi Yamaguchi. So even so, they were runners up, but she was, of course, amazing, and the choreography (probably aided by wife Elena) was great (I saw some of it and yes, the girl could really dance, probably better than Gleb...) In an interview, his wife Elena claimed Gleb was now the "new Derek Hough."

Anyway, the franchise took notice and he got a job on the mothership Strictly Come Dancing. He was given a so-so partner, slim and 30-something, and he created what became known as "Gleb specials" which got a lot of publicity and attention for the show, which these shows crave. One Gleb special was him crawling like a crab with her hanging onto his underside - I think that's right - anyway, you could youtube "Gleb and Anita Rani" to see these phenomena...

So I imagine the American producers took notice and were ready to bring him back, due to all this success overseas. I don't know how he went over in Russia, but in Britain, his sexy looks were noticed and he did have a pretty good following I guess, but his personality was as blank as ever, imo. I still think they would have kept him on because they're in desperate need of tall male pros, but he probably asked for too much money or clout or whatever and then jumped at the chance of the better-paying US-DWTS gig.

6 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Edited by Morrigan
Tried to add name of ice skater and screwed up royally...
  • Love 1

Ok, my first impressions on the cast? Kareem is SUPER tall for Lindsay. Like, she's wearing heels in her photo with him and she's still super short. 

I don't know sports well at all so I only know the bigger names in that list. I'm still debating whether to watch or not.

Well.. that list is kind of underwhelming(for me, anyway). I don’t really care about anyone on it. Not enough to watch at all. This season is a skip for me. I have too much tv to watch anyway.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, my first impressions on the cast? Kareem is SUPER tall for Lindsay. Like, she's wearing heels in her photo with him and she's still super short. 

I don't know sports well at all so I only know the bigger names in that list. I'm still debating whether to watch or not.

2-1/3 ringers with the obligatory ice skating contingent (giving TH 1/3) cuz she got chubby.  Football players are always popular with voters fsr, KAJ will be awkward and gangly most likely.  Hard to say what Damon, Arike, and Anderson will bring.  I'll watch until I determine that it's unwatchable.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Gleb went to the Russian Dancing with the Stars after leaving the US (his wife was a judge there, so I bet she arranged it.) Anyway he was given a girl who was 18 (Adelina Sotnikova), who had just won the 2014 Olympic gold medal in figure skating, and was the ringeriest ringer who ever rang - better than Mark's Kristi Yamaguchi. So even so, they were runners up, but she was, of course, amazing, and the choreography (probably aided by wife Elena) was great (I saw some of it and yes, the girl could really dance, probably better than Gleb...) In an interview, his wife Elena claimed Gleb was now the "new Derek Hough."

Anyway, the franchise took notice and he got a job on the mothership Strictly Come Dancing. He was given a so-so partner, slim and 30-something, and he created what became known as "Gleb specials" which got a lot of publicity and attention for the show, which these shows crave. One Gleb special was him crawling like a crab with her hanging onto his underside - I think that's right - anyway, you could youtube "Gleb and Anita Rani" to see these phenomena...

So I imagine the American producers took notice and were ready to bring him back, due to all this success overseas. I don't know how he went over in Russia, but in Britain, his sexy looks were noticed and he did have a pretty good following I guess, but his personality was as blank as ever, imo. I still think they would have kept him on because they're in desperate need of tall male pros, but he probably asked for too much money or clout or whatever and then jumped at the chance of the better-paying US-DWTS gig.

That all makes sense why they brought him back. I never thought he would go anywhere as the "new Maks" because even when he was being a dick, Maks had a certain charm to him that Gleb did not have. I think they didn't help Gleb when they brought him back the same season Maks made his triumphant 82nd return to the ballroom. 

7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

2-1/3 ringers with the obligatory ice skating contingent (giving TH 1/3) cuz she got chubby.  Football players are always popular with voters fsr, KAJ will be awkward and gangly most likely.  Hard to say what Damon, Arike, and Anderson will bring.  I'll watch until I determined that it's unwatchable.

I don't know how good he'll be but Johnny Damon will have Yankee AND Red Sox fan support That could keep him around (I'd say for awhile but there is no "awhile" in this version).

• Love 1

No, thank you. I will sit this season out.  I have no interest in any of the celebs, which doesn't mean I dislike them but there is nobody I actively want to root for currently.  Also they might as well just hand Jenna the fake 4 week mirrorball trophy now.  Yes, Mirai is also a ringer but it's dance ability plus personality and nobody is going to beat Adam in that department and as I said yesterday, 4 weeks is not going to be enough for any sort of story arc or change in feelings towards a particular competitor.  With others not having time to gain a fanbase, he is the clear winner.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

No, thank you. I will sit this season out.  I have no interest in any of the celebs, which doesn't mean I don't dislike them but there is nobody I actively want to root for currently.  Also they might as well just hand Jenna the fake 4 week mirrorball trophy now.  Yes, Mirai is also a ringer but it's dance ability plus personality and nobody is going to beat Adam in that department and as I said yesterday, 4 weeks is not going to be enough for any sort of story arc or change in feelings towards a particular competitor.  With others not having time to gain a fanbase, he is the clear winner.

I don't know, don't underestimate the football player, especially if he's charming and can dance. He could be another Rashad.

I also think that the current audience they have for the show is more focused on the pros than the celebs and this whole idea that each pro must win a mirrorball. For that reason, I think there will be heavy voting for Sharna and Artem, who seems to be the next two in line that fans want to see win, especially before newcomers Jenna and Alan.

Had this been a regular season with a few of the older pros sprinkled in, I'd be thinking Jennie Finch could be a lock, especially if she had a more popular pro like Mark or Maks. I have absolutely no faith that Keo will take her as far as she should go.

• Love 1

This could get interesting as the figure skaters will be performing Stars on Ice as the same time as DWTS.  I don't know how they will do this as the schedule for Stars on Ice is a very travel heave schedule.  And since they've been selling both skaters as their big names, I don't see how they can pull out of the tour.  Many people who bought tickets were wanting to see Adam and Mirai.

Like others, this will be a no watch season for me.

Edited by KLovestoShop
1 hour ago, Thadeeeyus said:

With Tonya paired with Sasha, I think she'll be sticking around for a while.  

Poor, sweet Sasha. What did he do to deserve this?

Ugh, Jenna is going to be insufferable if she manages to win with Adam, isn't she?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

This could get interesting as the figure skaters will be performing Stars on Ice as the same time as DWTS.  I don't know how they will do this as the schedule for Stars on Ice is a very travel heave schedule.  And since they've been selling both skaters as their big names, I don't see how they can pull out of the tour.  Many people who bought tickets were wanting to see Adam and Mirai.. 

It's no different than what Meryl, Charlie, Evan have done, and they did it over a much longer season.  This is only 4 weeks.  Also Laurie trying to do the gymnastics tour at the same time, though in her case she just skipped a lot of the tour.

Edited by spanana
42 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I never thought he would go anywhere as the "new Maks" because even when he was being a dick, Maks had a certain charm to him that Gleb did not have.

Maks was the kind of "bad boy" persona that appealed to the women who thought they could change or reform him into some kind of Prince Charming. For me, Gleb's schtick is sleezy with a side of smarmy and I just can't get on board. He killed any Maks replacement potential when he went for the over the top sex routines his first two seasons back. I could definitely be okay with sending Gleb back overseas and not having him on US DWTS.

If any one should have been lined up as a Maks replacement, imo, it should have been Artem, except I think he's too nice in general. But if he could've played up the "bad boy" part I think "bad boy with a heart of gold" could have worked for him.

Anyway, this athletes mini season just reinforced that I'm not really into the athletes they cast. Having all athletes is just ... eh.

I'm just glad they didn't give Tonya to Artem to go with the "Nancy/Tonya had the same partner!" gimmick.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

DWTS Twitter feed, with photos of pairs

twitter.com/DancingABC

OMG Keo and his partner photo lol I had to look twice. At first I thought wtf id this exaggerated Charlie Chaplin pose lol

27 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm sorry for Sasha, but I'm just glad Artem didn't get stuck with that for the sake of milking resurrected decades old rivalry.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Ugh, Jenna is going to be insufferable if she manages to win with Adam, isn't she?

I dislike  Jenna and would have a hard time supporting  any partner of hers.  In this case, I'm not an Adam fan either, so this pairing works for me.  I'm sure they're both hard at work practicing making love to the camera.

I usually end up liking contestants that I've never heard of, so that would be Johnny, Chris, and Jennie.  

• Love 4

This season feels to short to get grumpy over - it’ll either be a fun ride or a mess but over before you know it either way. I say bring on all the “ringers,” because otherwise it would just be bad dances for 4 weeks and then done. 

I unabashedly love Adam, so I’m here for that. And I made fun of Jenna plenty for her unfortunate pube dress in her first outing, but I think she’s learned a lot in her last few rounds on SYTYCD and I think she’s got a good shot at making this a good season for her. 

The luger is adorable and giving me charming James Hinchcliffe vibes and may be a sleeper hit. 

I have a soft spot for Arike and glad they’re highlighting her. She’s clearly got the least media experience and I don’t trust Gleb to truly bring her out and make her memorable though, the way a Mark or even an Alan might. I’m curious how that works for her NCAA eligibility though. Is it that it can be considered an outside job and not being paid or sponsored for basketball? She’s a junior I think so would have another year to play.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
48 minutes ago, Thadeeeyus said:

I dislike  Jenna and would have a hard time supporting  any partner of hers.  In this case, I'm not an Adam fan either, so this pairing works for me.  I'm sure they're both hard at work practicing making love to the camera.

I'm sure Val has been coaching her on that between shows on the revisionist history tour! 

• Love 1

This is really off the subject of the new season of athletes but since I haven't been reading anything on the forum for a while and he is an athlete, I just have to mention it! Am I the only one who is actually watching(and waiting for) the new Honda commercials? Why you ask? James Hinchcliffe!! When I saw the first one while I was fast forwarding through commercials, I immediately backed up to see if it was really James...it was!!!!! So now I watch for them just to get my James fix! In my mind, he won his season....Laurie who?

• Love 3

I saw him in the commercials as well!

I think Mirai could be a contender. She is elegant and can be quite charming. The problem with her is that she can put her foot in her mouth, and women with big mouths have never been received well on dwts. Is Artem her partner? If so, they could be quite good.

12 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I saw him in the commercials as well!

I think Mirai could be a contender. She is elegant and can be quite charming. The problem with her is that she can put her foot in her mouth, and women with big mouths have never been received well on dwts. Is Artem her partner? If so, they could be quite good.

Alan, not Artem.

Artem has the skier snowboarder. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
Wrong slidey snow sport
  • Love 1

I'm curious about how a snowboarder would do. I don't snowboard, I prefer having control over mu feet when speeding down the hill lol but from what I understand, because the feet are fixed the movement and momentum are being created by hips, torso and arms. Could translate well into dancing.

I haven't heard of most of them, but I thought they made good choices except for Tonya Harding. She really looks awkward in those press photos. She looks way older than she is, and she's the only one who is out of shape (even 70-year old Kareem is in better shape than she is).

I'm curious about the woman basketball player who Gleb got. Notre Dame's team got a lot of buzz, and if she can dance, she might be interesting.

37 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I haven't heard of most of them, but I thought they made good choices except for Tonya Harding. She really looks awkward in those press photos. She looks way older than she is, and she's the only one who is out of shape (even 70-year old Kareem is in better shape than she is).

I'm curious about the woman basketball player who Gleb got. Notre Dame's team got a lot of buzz, and if she can dance, she might be interesting.

Agree.  I might've tuned in to watch if Tonya wasn't on.

Well, Mirai's shameless self promotion paid off. Congrats to her. 

I've been on record in previous posts here that I really wanted to see an unusually tall basketball player give DWTS a try. I guess I get my wish (with Lindsay's potential genius for choreography as an added bonus)....but in fairness I was thinking of someone maybe twenty years younger than Kareem. Kareem is just an awesome person & activist. It'll be cool to see how he takes to the dance floor.

If Red Sox fans vote like Cubs fans, I think Johnny Damon is sticking around to the last show.

Chris and Jamie will be the "who are they" Olympians. I'm mildly intrigued by the Jamie/Artem pairing.

My fear is Tonya and Adam will basically suck the air right out fo the ballroom and not leave much for anyone else to establish themselves. Which in and of itself is going to be rough on the contestants who are quieter and don't have the most outsized personalities. 3 weeks from show 1 to the finale isn't much time to have a growth arc lol. It's also not much time for the show to get on it's manipulation horse...which might be kind of nice.

I'm also curious what the NCAA will require of Arike (who had one of the most amazing 48 hours in sports. Not female or male, sports period. Basically two consecutive buzzer-beaters to knock of the UCONN women's basketball juggernaut in the National Semifinals, and then win ND the Championship against Mississippi State). I wonder if she maybe has a say in where DWTS could send her "salary" charity wise?

If my assumption is off, let me know. But my guess is we go 10 to 8 week one to two; then 8 to 6 weeks two to three; then 6 to 4 from week 3 to 4? And then in the finale week we get two shows with the final 4 dancing, and then finding out the results in the finale finale?

If she gets one vote it would be too many. She was involved in the planning of a violent assault. She is an objectionable human being, and the fact that she appears on this show and at movie awards shows is just insulting. Shame on ABC for stooping to this.

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

If Red Sox fans vote like Cubs fans, I think Johnny Damon is sticking around to the last show.

I'm not sure if Red Sox fans still hold a grudge about him going to the Yankees.....but Yankee fans will be voting in full force.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Who is up for a game of Clue?

Tonya Harding in the ballroom with a lead pipe. 

Too soon?

One of my first thoughts in reading the cast list today was that Tonya Harding not dance any dance to Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot."

In this truncated season will they even do a Most Memorable Year Week? If she knows what is good for her Tonya won't do 1994, but then that will just be the big elephant in the room, JMO.

• Love 5