Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

YMMV, I actually have little interest in the all athlete season, just because this show has always had athletes. I can't think of a single new or different thing a season filled with just a load of them, will bring. Not that I'm saying I prefer the Junior season, just that I frankly if I had a vote between the two, it'd probably be neither. 

• Love 4

It would be sort of nice to see some athletes besides just Americans. It's not like the homers on NBC ever showcased anyone else. Those two awesome Russian figure skaters would be nice. Or the cute Chinese swimmer Fui Yuanhui. There are also plenty of others who would be great like Hanyu the men's figure skating champion. He's adorable and would probably be a great dancer. There was also a fun French figure skater who skated to Beyonce, I think. I bet she would bring the house down.

I sure hope we are spared Lindsay Vonn or Michaela Shriffin. They are boring and I just don't care about seeing them. I hope we don't get any more gymnasts either. 

I also heard Dancing Jr. was on for the summer. Why, I have no idea. I can't imagine anyone watching that. I'm looking forward to the athlete season though, depending on whom they get.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

It would be sort of nice to see some athletes besides just Americans. It's not like the homers on NBC ever showcased anyone else. Those two awesome Russian figure skaters would be nice. Or the cute Chinese swimmer Fui Yuanhui. There are also plenty of others who would be great like Hanyu the men's figure skating champion. He's adorable and would probably be a great dancer. There was also a fun French figure skater who skated to Beyonce, I think. I bet she would bring the house down.

I sure hope we are spared Lindsay Vonn or Michaela Shriffin. They are boring and I just don't care about seeing them. I hope we don't get any more gymnasts either. 

I also heard Dancing Jr. was on for the summer. Why, I have no idea. I can't imagine anyone watching that. I'm looking forward to the athlete season though, depending on whom they get.

I rather thought that NBC thoroughly gushed over the two Russian...er...OAR women's figure skaters...as well as the Japanese men's figure skaters.  Rightfully so, they were terrific.  That said, The National Broadcasting Company is an American English language commercial broadcast television network that is a flagship property of NBC Universal, a subsidiary of Comcast. *courtesy Google/Wiki/Innerwebs

All the American skaters were meh except for Adam Rippon. His artistry is beautiful and he would be pretty interesting on the show. The only other skater who would have been good on dwts would be Ashley Wagner. Love her or hate her, at least she has a personality. 

Hilary Knight would be good. The women's hockey team was underrated.

I would love to see Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir! Or Johnny Weir. He would be a hoot.

• Love 1

Today was NHL trade deadline. So after it passed I tweeted that since my team hasn’t signed Hilary DWTS should invite her for all athletes season. She liked my tweet. It’s probably just her being sweet though, but a girl can dream. Lol

• Love 3
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

DWTS needs to go get Hilary. They only had one hockey player, and never a woman. Plus she has no drama or scandals. I don't know if she can dance, but I would like to see her.

An the player they had was probably the most universally hated one to boot. He'd probably be the last I'd like to represent the sport.  Get one of the good guys... and girls.

What's Bryz up to these days (except being funny at All-Star games for Players' Tribune lol)... or John Scott (that would be a pylon on the floor, though but a charming and kind guy)

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2018 at 1:57 PM, boyznkatz said:

All the American skaters were meh except for Adam Rippon. His artistry is beautiful and he would be pretty interesting on the show. The only other skater who would have been good on dwts would be Ashley Wagner. Love her or hate her, at least she has a personality. 

Hilary Knight would be good. The women's hockey team was underrated.

I would love to see Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir! Or Johnny Weir. He would be a hoot.

Johnny Weir is the only athlete I am wishing to see on DWTS. Actually, I would prefer Johnny Weir be on a regular season. This mini season seems to short.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, majormama said:

Johnny Weir would be a polarizing, love-him-or-hate-him contestant. I like him, majorpapa does not! Thinks he's trying too hard.

Yes to the polarizing.  Even with the strides that have been made about acceptance, I feel that a large chunk of folks are not quite ready for him.  I haven't seen any numbers since the Olympics have ended, as to whether or not the figure skating ratings were affected by him, negatively or positively.  For me, I don't care who he dates, I thought his professional work on the broadcasts was excellent, though I'm not normally drawn to in-your-face personalities.  I generally don't vote, so it wouldn't bother me.

He definitely has Madonna level self-promotion tendencies.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, majormama said:

Johnny Weir would be a polarizing, love-him-or-hate-him contestant. I like him, majorpapa does not! Thinks he's trying too hard.

I like Johnny and think he's so funny and talented.  But I just generally don't enjoy watching people that are too "ON" all the time.  They exhaust me with their "look at me, look at me neediness".  Marissa Jaret Winokur is a perfect example of this for me.  Robin Williams was too. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 2/26/2018 at 9:57 AM, boyznkatz said:

There's a problem with them, though.  They're not U.S. citizens and would require special work visas to be on the show, and those are almost impossible to get, especially on short notice.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:38 AM, jhlipton said:

How about French figure skater Maé-Bérénice Méité? She can dance to Chopin and Beyonce!

Again, not a U.S. citizen.  She'd need a work visa to be on the show.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

There's a problem with them, though.  They're not U.S. citizens and would require special work visas to be on the show, and those are almost impossible to get, especially on short notice.

NHL players do it all the time... when they sign someone new from, say, Sweden, he's in the lineup about two weeks later... I believe P-series visas are a lot easier to get than H-series ones.

Idk what would be the reason for inviting foreign athletes though. All else being equal they will lose the televote to an Amercian. Even all else being unequal lol 

Foreign athletes obv get money and exposure out of it, i don't see what DWTS gets out of it... unless they include the country in the viewing/voting like they did with Australia when Bindi was there...

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

NHL players do it all the time... when they sign someone new from, say, Sweden, he's in the lineup about two weeks later... I believe P-series visas are a lot easier to get than H-series ones.

Idk what would be the reason for inviting foreign athletes though. All else being equal they will lose the televote to an Amercian. Even all else being unequal lol 

Foreign athletes obv get money and exposure out of it, i don't see what DWTS gets out of it... unless they include the country in the viewing/voting like they did with Australia when Bindi was there...

They would also have to make the show available for viewing online in France, Japan, or wherever and not geo-block it.  That's the reason that I don't follow the international versions as much as I used to (I once made it a point to catch the British, Italian, German, Austrian, Dutch, Belgian, Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, and New Zealander versions of the show, but that's pretty much impossible now since they're geo-blocked, as the French, Irish, and Australian versions have always been).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 12:45 AM, kitcloudkicker said:

shibutani_maia_blog1_800x375_3.jpg?la=en

I thought it curious how fervently Derek had been cheering on the Shib Sibs on twitter/IG stories, far beyond any other American competing in S. Korea.  Was he claiming to have "choreographed" one of their routines?  The answer was on the Kelly & Ryan show one day this week when the skaters were asked about portraying "chemistry" with a sibling and (I think it was) Kelly who brought up the Houghs.  The Sibs said they had talked w/the Houghs about that subject and I laughed at how Maia put a bit of emphasis on the word "talked".  Houghs sure do know how to promote themselves though LOL (they do have really good PR people)!   Seriously though, some may not know that the Sibs spent quite a bit of time training with Corky Ballas down in Houston.  I think he may have traveled with them for a bit as well.  (Corky hasn't made any choreography claims as far as I'm aware.)    I still remember the hilarious videos Corky would post of them goofing around and singing on car rides.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:12 PM, SnarkyTart said:

If they did a poll ... I doubt the results would even be close.  But, in the dim hope of gaining a few new, younger viewers, the producers are willing to lose large numbers of loyal viewers.  I guess they learned nothing from the SYTYCD children's season debacle.

Has Dance Moms finally shut down?  I heard Cheryl Burke took over for a bit while Abby was in prison (not sure if she's still in prison). But anyway, maybe DWTS is trying to grab the child fans of those dance girls before they dissipate to other things.  It's easier to keep an audience than to rebuild one after it's fallen apart.  DWTSGossip's twitter mentions included a video of what seemed to be a casting event (Emma, I think Sasha, Adam Raia were there).  The kids, which I assume were the pro kid candidates, looked really really young, like 8-10 age range.   I don't know what the debacle was from the SYTYCD children's season beyond resistance to a kid's season before it started - I didn't watch, though I do intend to watch the next season if it is adults.

18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't know that getting a work visa would be all that difficult for a celeb athlete just off the Olympics with an offer in hand from a top tv show.   I do wonder if the foreign Olympians speak English well enough to handle the media circus as well as the show itself without having to rely on translators.  I'd also think that their home country's version of DWTS would get first dibs.  But of course the outcry would likely be "why aren't you using all American Olympians".

Finally, here's a good read about Deena Katz watching the Olympics:

http://www.11alive.com/article/sports/olympics/dwts-reacts-to-mirai-nagasus-comments-hints-which-olympians-may-be-dancing-next-season/85-523887348

• Love 1
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

They would also have to make the show available for viewing online in France, Japan, or wherever and not geo-block it.  That's the reason that I don't follow the international versions as much as I used to (I once made it a point to catch the British, Italian, German, Austrian, Dutch, Belgian, Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, and New Zealander versions of the show, but that's pretty much impossible now since they're geo-blocked, as the French, Irish, and Australian versions have always been).

Yikes!   ?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yikes!   ?

I believe the Polish version has been revived, and I'm thinking of trying to watch it again at its official website, since it was that show that motivated me to start studying Polish.  Another reason is that it has some of the best dancing I've ever seen -- I've seen Week 1 performances that I wouldn't have expected to see on our version before about Week 9 or 10.  And the Polish version always did theme weeks right -- I remember their very first Disney Night, and to say that it really captured the magic of Disney and dancing is an understatement!

• Love 1

Yeah, I've been a little surprised to see the Houghs come up with reference to the Shibs because any connection there AFAIK is quite superficial -- but that's the splashier name. The Corky connection, on the other hand, goes back I believe to 2011 when they were preparing their first Latin short dance and wanted some extra ballroom guidance, and again in 2013 for a quickstep/foxtrot short. The roots go deep in a much more interesting way, and I am 100% prepared for ringer whining if they get on because honestly I just want them dancing anyhow, anyway.

After 2014, France's Nathalie Pechalat and Brian Joubert did the French show and Russia's Adelina Sotnikova did Russia's -- so I'd imagine if skaters or athletes are interested and hail from a country still producing its own version, they'll just do that one. Hopefully YouTube would be more reliable than it was for those installments. Also I would kill someone to see Tessa Virtue do an entire series of floor dancing, but all things considered I think instead I'd just campaign for Canada to revive its SYTYCD so a ringer of her standing wouldn't get penalized and dragged through the mud for that extensive off-ice background, and maybe she'd still get to dance with Scott half the time too.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Uke said:

I thought it curious how fervently Derek had been cheering on the Shib Sibs on twitter/IG stories, far beyond any other American competing in S. Korea.  Was he claiming to have "choreographed" one of their routines? 

No, he never claimed to choreograph anything. AFAIK the connection was “getting advice as siblings who are dance partners,” people are obviously going to draw that parallel. That photo is from Move rehearsals and no one ever claimed anything beyond they hung out and swapped tips.

Beyond the Hough’s and Corky, they also worked with Serge Onik and Jenna Johnson - apparently Jenna and Alan do one of the same lifts in a routine on the current tour that the Shibs have in one of their routines, so it’s very possible Jenna taught it to them or they taught it to Jenna. Their dance connections are deep.

eta: Here they are with Jenna 

And an interview with Serge

https://www.dancenetwork.tv/Catalog/Post/328/a-choreographers-road-to-the-olympics-an-exclusive-interview-with-u-s-figure-skating-choreographer-serge-onik

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

Yeah, I've been a little surprised to see the Houghs come up with reference to the Shibs because any connection there AFAIK is quite superficial -- but that's the splashier name. The Corky connection, on the other hand, goes back I believe to 2011 when they were preparing their first Latin short dance and wanted some extra ballroom guidance, and again in 2013 for a quickstep/foxtrot short. The roots go deep in a much more interesting way, and I am 100% prepared for ringer whining if they get on because honestly I just want them dancing anyhow, anyway.

Thanks! I couldn't remember when - didn't realized it was that long ago.  But I vividly remember thinking I'd never want to ride in a car when Corky is driving and singing away with the radio!  Man is Craaaazzzyyy!  But they all seemed to have fun together.

13 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

No, he never claimed to choreograph anything. AFAIK the connection was “getting advice as siblings who are dance partners,” people are obviously going to draw that parallel. That photo is from Move rehearsals and no one ever claimed anything beyond they hung out and swapped tips.

Beyond the Hough’s and Corky, they also worked with Serge Onik and Jenna Johnson - apparently Jenna and Alan do one of the same lifts in a routine on the current tour that the Shibs have in one of their routines, so it’s very possible Jenna taught it to them or they taught it to Jenna. Their dance connections are deep.

eta: Here they are with Jenna 

And an interview with Serge

https://www.dancenetwork.tv/Catalog/Post/328/a-choreographers-road-to-the-olympics-an-exclusive-interview-with-u-s-figure-skating-choreographer-serge-onik

Interesting interview with Serge.  I always thought he was kind of a tool but it looks like he's found his career direction in the way of skater's choreography.  

• Love 1

I saw the tour last night in San Jose. Unfortunately, Lindsay's injured, so she didn't dance. She did come onstage briefly, to say she was injured and to thank all of the fans for voting for them, and how much she enjoyed the season working with Jordan. I hope she recovers quickly and thoroughly.

I saw the Las Vegas show when they were there for a few months a few years ago, and I saw the tour in Alfonso's season -- did the meet-n-greet and got to meet Keo, Val, Alfonso, Emma, and Witney. Witney and Emma are teeny, and Val's effortlessly charming.

This SJ stop was in a different location than last time, with a set-up not as good as last time. I blame the theater for the poor sound -- there were a few songs that were almost painful to hear.

The dancers seemed to be enjoying themselves. Frankie seemed SO HAPPY to be doing the show, and looked so happy and comfortable dancing. Jordan is Mr Smooth, and such a talented dancer. Alan is featured a lot, it seemed. IIRC, Hayley did Perm with Frankie, and Sharna did the Pirates number. Jenna was Jordan's partner on his first featured dance, and maybe Sharna (or maybe a few different females) for his other. There was a Disney section. Jordan did a lot of group numbers, Frankie fewer. Bare-chested male pros now and again, including all in one number. (I enjoy Artem's style so much that if he's on stage, he's all I can watch, shirt or no.)

Sharna had a lot of fans in the audience, as did Frankie, Jordan, and Alan. People screamed her name frequently, and she got a HUGE cheer when she came out to talk, and at the end when each dancer came out for individual bows, I'd say she got the most applause outside of Frankie and Jordan.

It seemed to me like there were more new numbers than numbers from this season, but maybe this season's numbers weren't as memorable for me and there were more than I realized.

They have video clips now and then during the show, and during intermission. Meet the Pros, Discuss the Celebs (paddles w/Frankie or Jordan on them), See a Rehearsal. They were all funny and/or interesting. In the Celeb/Pro ones, they were asked things like "do an imitation of Alan," "who's the most high-maintenance," "Frankie or Jordan --which would you marry?" (Lindsay's Alan imitation was very funny; Gleb, who gets two pedis a week; and Emma's response was "Oh, I'd marry Frankie in a heartbeat!" followed by a drop of the paddle, a long pause, and finally, "Neither one! I'd marry neither one!")

Now I need to go work up an exercise plan to get my legs and bum to look half as good as Emma's.

• Love 5
On 3/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, doLLish said:

New show runner alert!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-sets-new-showrunner-season-26-1093557

I personally am very happy about it. As much as I still love the show, I do feel it has gotten a bit stale. I look forward to seeing the changes he brings. Here's hoping one of them is a 'Judges Save'.

Interesting.  Maybe nice changes, not too many big changes.  Too many or too big might sink a show.

I know for one, I'm going through heavy withdrawals.  I'm so used to it starting right after Bachelor.  I'm not an AI fan so nothing exciting on Mondays for now.  I always thought DWTS started later than other spring season shows but now it's really starting later.

• Love 3

I don't see the point in doing a mini-season. DWTS is still a highly rated show and plenty of people want to be on it. I think they could have found a dozen athletes willing to sign on for a full season. I really couldn't care less about the junior show. Supposedly it will be on in the summer, but I just don't see a lot of older fans watching it. I really don't even see 12 year olds caring about it that much.

• Love 9

DWTS' spring situation is only because of American Idol's Schedule.

I'll miss having a full season this spring, but TBH, these last two seasons I was not happy with (the ringer girls of season 24 getting slaughtered every week, David getting runner up, Jordan getting a tongue bathe every damn week and like 800 perfect scores, while Lindsey was always not good enough), A break is needed. But i do miss it.

• Love 2

I don't really follow hockey that much anymore, but is Julianne's husband that big of a star? It sound more like a reason to have to see her mug on TV every week.

I love football players on the show, but no Gronkowski please. I would love Aaron Rodgers! He would be a hoot.

Edited by boyznkatz
26 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't really follow hockey that much anymore, but is Julianne's husband that big of a star? It sound more like a reason to have to see her mug on TV every week.

I love football players on the show, but no Gronkowski please. I would love Aaron Rodgers! He would be a hoot.

I follow hockey, and her husband was never a star. He seemed to love media attention way out of proportion to his abilities on the ice. I can see him wanting to do the show to increase his social media profile, but I call BS on his claim he just wants to "learn how to lead his wife". 

My top choice for a football player to do the show would be Jimmy Garoppolo. He's gorgeous and has a great personality.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, classique said:

I follow hockey, and her husband was never a star. He seemed to love media attention way out of proportion to his abilities on the ice. I can see him wanting to do the show to increase his social media profile, but I call BS on his claim he just wants to "learn how to lead his wife". 

My top choice for a football player to do the show would be Jimmy Garoppolo. He's gorgeous and has a great personality.

I figured we were either going to get him or the cokehead hockey player Erin married. I'd be happy with neither of them.

• Love 3
On 2/22/2018 at 6:55 PM, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV, I actually have little interest in the all athlete season, just because this show has always had athletes. I can't think of a single new or different thing a season filled with just a load of them, will bring. Not that I'm saying I prefer the Junior season, just that I frankly if I had a vote between the two, it'd probably be neither. 

I'm with you.  If these are the ideas that were chosen to breathe life into the show, they should go back to the conference room.  Personally, I would prefer fewer contestants, therefore a shorter season.  That may not be popular or feasible.

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm with you.  If these are the ideas that were chosen to breathe life into the show, they should go back to the conference room.  Personally, I would prefer fewer contestants, therefore a shorter season.  That may not be popular or feasible.

I'd return to the things that made the show what it is today --- top quality pros, adult contestants, simple ballroom dances with just the pro and their partner on the floor, Tuesday night results show with musical guests and pro dances. None of the gimmicks, none of the big stage productions with 17 dancers out there.

For me, the show really changed when they started getting their pros from Burn the Floor and SYTYCD. The original lineup were world champion dancers and even the ones I didn't much care for, I would much rather see out there than Peta or Witney or Keo.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I'd return to the things that made the show what it is today --- top quality pros, adult contestants, simple ballroom dances with just the pro and their partner on the floor, Tuesday night results show with musical guests and pro dances. None of the gimmicks, none of the big stage productions with 17 dancers out there.

For me, the show really changed when they started getting their pros from Burn the Floor and SYTYCD. The original lineup were world champion dancers and even the ones I didn't much care for, I would much rather see out there than Peta or Witney or Keo.

You appear to know a lot more about the show than I do.  I actually don't mind the large production numbers, and I'm not discerning enough to tell the talent level of the pros apart from each other.  I'm not a big fan of what I would consider ringers.  Those like Jordan who clearly have some or much dance background or experience, or the ice skater with similar experience.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Jordan's dancing, but to me, it was no different than watching two pros dance.  I'm more interested in seeing someone with little or no dance history developing into a decent dancer.  Skaters, gymnasts etc., while maybe not having actual dance background, certainly have a level of experience with getting their bodies to perform in an artistic manner, and imo, is a short leap to being a dance practitioner.  I realize that it would cut way back on the pool of potential candidates for the producers to choose from, so that will probably not change.  Plus, they do want folks that are having a moment in the spotlight for the most part.  I really have no interest in watching cute kids dance around.  Not my thing, but we'll see how the ratings go.  I don't mind athletes in a mix of people, but we'll see how that one goes also.

(edited)

Just to periscope back out a little bit....the original plan (from everything I've been able to piece together) was that originally we were supposed to get DWTS Jr. first for this particular spring cycle. And then there were issues, assumedly figuring out who would make up the cast. Kid celebrities, celebrities of kids, and kid pro dancers to make the partnerships work. At some point they shelved the DWTS Jr. idea and made the change to an All-Athlete abbreviated season. They clearly didn't give up on the idea of DWTS Jr. and continued to work on the parameters behind the scenes. At some point they felt in an abbreviated version they came up with something viable.

So now we are getting 10 athletes (with a shuffled pro line up) in a four or five week window....followed up (possibly immediately or maybe with a bit of a break in between) by a Jr. edition  with (I'm assuming) a similar time frame if not a similar elimination breakdown. Added together we are getting a similar amount of weeks to a normal season which we'll be seeing again in the fall.

Nothing earth-shaking, but that's sort of where we are now. I'm happy that we will get to see a couple of new pro's in the All-Athlete season. I'm hoping Hayley E. or Paul K. get a chance to shine (however briefly). I guess one other positive is that both seasons are both going to fly by at a rapid pace, so if one or other end up being something of a trainwreck....then we are only married to that trainwreck for a month, or a month and change.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You appear to know a lot more about the show than I do.  I actually don't mind the large production numbers, and I'm not discerning enough to tell the talent level of the pros apart from each other.  I'm not a big fan of what I would consider ringers.  Those like Jordan who clearly have some or much dance background or experience, or the ice skater with similar experience.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Jordan's dancing, but to me, it was no different than watching two pros dance.  I'm more interested in seeing someone with little or no dance history developing into a decent dancer.  Skaters, gymnasts etc., while maybe not having actual dance background, certainly have a level of experience with getting their bodies to perform in an artistic manner, and imo, is a short leap to being a dance practitioner.  I realize that it would cut way back on the pool of potential candidates for the producers to choose from, so that will probably not change.  Plus, they do want folks that are having a moment in the spotlight for the most part.  I really have no interest in watching cute kids dance around.  Not my thing, but we'll see how the ratings go.  I don't mind athletes in a mix of people, but we'll see how that one goes also.

I don't care for ringers either. The first season I remember it being a big issue was Season 10, I thought for sure Evan Lysacek had it in the bag as soon as the cast was announced but it was clear the first week that no one stood a chance against Nicole Scherzinger. One of my least favorite seasons has been Season 18, when the entire show revolved around giving Maks his long-whined-about mirrorball with the help of someone who was basically a professional dancer. 

I thought the level of ballroom dancing was far superior with pros like Karina, Derek, Cheryl, Mark, Maks and Tony than what we get with pros like Peta, Emma, Sasha, Witney and Keo. The only two "newer" pros I feel are up to the quality of the original pros are Val and Artem.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Just to periscope back out a little bit....the original plan (from everything I've been able to piece together) was that originally we were supposed to get DWTS Jr. first for this particular spring cycle. And then there were issues, assumedly figuring out who would make up the cast. Kid celebrities, celebrities of kids, and kid pro dancers to make the partnerships work. At some point they shelved the DWTS Jr. idea and made the change to an All-Athlete abbreviated season. They clearly didn't give up on the idea of DWTS Jr. and continued to work on the parameters behind the scenes. At some point they felt in an abbreviated version they came up with something viable.

So now we are getting 10 athletes (with a shuffled pro line up) in a four or five week window....followed up (possibly immediately or maybe with a bit of a break in between) by a Jr. edition  with (I'm assuming) a similar time frame if not a similar elimination breakdown. Added together we are getting a similar amount of weeks to a normal season which we'll be seeing again in the fall.

Nothing earth-shaking, but that's sort of where we are now. I'm happy that we will get to see a couple of new pro's in the All-Athlete season. I'm hoping Hayley E. or Paul K. get a chance to shine (however briefly). I guess one other positive is that both seasons are both going to fly by at a rapid pace, so if one or other end up being something of a trainwreck....then we are only married to that trainwreck for a month, or a month and change.

For some reason I thought the short season had to do with the network picking up American Idol. Is AI really getting bigger ratings than dwts? Even if it does, it's odd that they would partially shelve a show with ratings like dwts. Why not truncate a show that no one else watches?

I would like to see some of the old pros like Karina and Tony come back, but I don't think that's going to happen.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I would like to see some of the old pros like Karina and Tony come back, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm not privy to, nor was I on this forum when/if it was discussed why they left.  Did they have "other projects" or were they drummed out?  

55 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm not privy to, nor was I on this forum when/if it was discussed why they left.  Did they have "other projects" or were they drummed out?  

I don't know, unfortunately. I never heard why they left, and they never said why either. It's weird how anyone who was ever on this show is so tight-lipped about it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It was announced that Tony had just signed a long-term contract a couple of seasons before he stopped appearing, so he was clearly cut. Karina I think left on her own. She's been working her tail off performing all over the world with her partner since her last season with Doug Flutie.

• Love 1