Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Tangled Up in Blue

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Air date: Oct 23, 2018

Darlene is in for one surprise after another when David introduces his girlfriend, Blue (Juliette Lewis), at a parent-teacher conference and mentions that Mark and Harris will be spending the weekend with them. Dan hires Becky to help out at work, but they both come to learn that she might need more help than she can offer.

Note: ABC's website calls this episode 103.  No word on when the original second episode will air.

Great episode, acting skills by everyone on point. Juliette Lewis is making a career out of playing hippy girlfriends (here, on Camping). Good ensemble work by all of the cast members.

• Love 22

Pretty obvious who the “unexpected  pregnancy” will be. Harris, but with them trying to make it seem like it’s Darlene and the bar guy for half the reveal episode(totally guessing)

Edited by Wanda
Extra word
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, tessaray said:

They stopped on the way home to buy the morning after pill, so not Harris - this time anyway.

It was mentioned, but they can always have Darlene go , “damn, why didn’t we remember to go In the store?”

• Love 2

Best part of this episode was there was nothing political about it and it didn't try to ram any hot button social issues down the audience's throat. 

I'm still not sure they know what to do with DJ yet, though.

• Love 12

I was never a Roseanne fan, so I did not miss her at all. This was a pretty good episode, though Blue should be lucky that Darlene didn't best the crap out of her. I would have (at least for the kids I don't have). Also, I didn't realize Blue was still around. I thought she and David broke up last season??

The Becky storyline sounds like it's gearing up to be really interesting, though Lecy's voice still weirds me out.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Also, I didn't realize Blue was still around. I thought she and David broke up last season??

David and Darlene had sex during the David episode last season and it looked like they were getting back together again but Roseanne was all for David having a relationship with his kids but was against Darlene taking him back.  Eventually Darlene pretty much told him she would take him back if it wasn’t for the kids.  And that’s how it ended for them.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

David and Darlene had sex during the David episode last season and it looked like they were getting back together again but Roseanne was all for David having a relationship with his kids but was against Darlene taking him back.  Eventually Darlene pretty much told him she would take him back if it wasn’t for the kids.  And that’s how it ended for them.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!

• Love 1

That was really good. Great acting, and I laughed out loud several times. Even teared up a bit during the David and Darlene scene. (When did she become such a great actress?) Anyway, this is all I ask from a sitcom. So far so good. 

Question: doesn't David have to go off and be on The Big Bang? Does this mean we won't see him much? 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 11

The Becky storyline sounds like it's gearing up to be really interesting, though Lecy's voice still weirds me out.

I was surprised at how mild Dan's reaction was to Becky showing up at the worksite not only with alcohol, but a clear plan in place to hide her drinking.  I understand what his plan seems to be to deal with the situation, but it feels like Becky is already pretty far gone into alcoholism. 

• Love 20
15 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Dang it! I had my DVR set to record this with a minute extra, and it still cut off.

Can someone please tell me what Dan said when he put his hand on David's shoulder at the very end? 

Something along the lines of, "If you disappeared, they'll just think you ran off again."

• Love 10

Solid episode. David and Darlene may not work as a couple, but Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki work really well together. 

Blue is the worst, but David would totally pick someone completely different from Darlene but just as domineering in her own way.

The Becky storyline has potential.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Evie said:

Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki work really well together. 

Yes, she was his girlfriend on "Big Bang Theory".  I must say I started to watch, flipped channels at the first commercial & didn't get back until the last 5 minutes.  I don't think this show really works for me.  Enjoy.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have to respectfully argue that it was, "Stitches was a bust." I laughed so loud at that!

Same here.  I laughed, stopped, and laughed again.

1 minute ago, Melina22 said:

The man Darlene dated looked so familiar. What's he from?? 

He's been in tons of stuff, but I know him originally from Ed.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I think he's the guy who played Christy's boyfriend on Mom for a little bit, but I need to look him up.  (Justin Long, I think recent articles about the love interest for Darlene said he is - I didn't recognize him by name, but tonight I did by face, and I think it's from Mom.)

I enjoyed last week’s premiere so much I took a break from the World Series to watch this episode, and am glad I did.  It wasn’t great, but it was solid.

I realized right as it began that I never watched the episode of Roseanne last season where David returned; oops, I’ll have to see if I can find the disc I recorded that on.  David and Darlene were great for each other as first, teenage loves, but awful for each other once she went to school in Chicago, and deciding to get married and have a baby never made sense to me.  So I definitely don’t want them getting back together, but it is nice seeing him from time to time.  The actors play well off each other; their real-life friendship and long working history is valuable.

Sara Gilbert killed it when she said it was time for them to get a divorce.  She was so great an actor as a kid, so awkwardly bad as a late teen, and has now cycled back to someone I’m not sure how good she’d be as another character, but is perfect as Darlene.

And I certainly want David to get his shit together as a father, but seeing the kids is only a teeny tiny start and he’s not doing well with the rest.  You bring your girlfriend, who has only met your kid twice, to the parent-teacher conference about that kid?!  When you barely know the kid yourself, no less?  And then he leaves the kids with said girlfriend.  Ugh.

“Harris, why don’t you go get your stuff, find your brother, knock the crack pipe out of his mouth, and we’ll go?”  Hee.  And Darlene handled things with Harris nicely in the car – a nice blend of openness and parental “OMG, no!” reaction.

David as the daughter Roseanne always wanted was a nice moment, too.  As was revisiting the Dan/David dynamic in the tag.  I love, “If you disappeared, everyone would just think you ran off for good.”  Spot on.

I like that Mary regards everything someone says to her about any sort of higher power as an interesting story that makes her happy, and hope Geena doesn’t drill that out of her with her “my way is the only way” crap.

I also like Jackie, Becky, and Darlene out together.

Becky initially not being asked to help with drywall to get some extra money ties directly back to the original series episode where Dan asked Darlene but not her.  Nice.

All heavy drinkers on TV are alcoholics, so I saw this coming, I guess.  I liked Becky better as someone who abuses alcohol than as someone who’s addicted to it, but I also really like Becky and Dan’s relationship, and the dynamic of having just lost their wife/mother to an overdose makes for a good storyline, so I'll go with it.

I didn’t even realize last week what makes Darlene laugh in the new around-the-table credits – she puts a fruit plate down in front of Dan, and he distracts Harris in order to switch plates with her.

• Love 17

Well thought out posts! I also recalled the old episode of Dan not even asking Becky if she wanted to make some extra cash too @Bastet! I roll the old DVDs at night and that just came up in rotation.

DJ doesn't get enough airtime. I need more Geena and Mary kicking around. The original cast is killing it. 

• Love 6

They were oddly specific that David and Darlene had sex 3 months ago. I really hope it isn't that she is pregnant with David's baby. They can fanwank it that she is irregular or was too busy dealing with Roseanne's death to notice she wasn't regular. Ugh.

Then again, I hope Harris isn't pregnant either, because the teen pregnancy storyline is too cliche.

Can I just say I flove Jackie without Roseanne? Yeah, she has a few wacky moments, but she feels more like the older version of pre-Gilligan Jackie.

I loved Geena's "You left her for a woman that thinks God lives in the dirt?".  I want more Geena and Mary too.

Lecy's overacting a bit, and its cringeworthy,but I love the growth in Dan and Becky's relationship. Everytime he's attempted to take a hard line with her, its backfired tremendously so I don't blame him for dealing with her with kid gloves, especially so soon after Roseanne's death. Roseanne isn't here to mend things between them anymore so he doesn't want to lose her for good. Nice continuity between Bev's alcoholism, to Roseanne's pill addiction, to Becky's alcoholism. Dan was a borderline alcoholic also back in the day so it's not surprising that one of the kids inherited the trait.

• Love 23

Thanks for naming Justin Long for me guys, but here's the crazy part. When I saw him I thought "Oh! He looks like a young Justin Long! I wonder who he is?" All I could remember about Justin Long was seeing him in a Die Hard movie. I guess I just assumed he was old by now. Yikes, I'm losing my grip on time. I like him, though. I'd be happy to see both him and Juliette Lewis again. Surprisingly strong guest stars for a new sitcom. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

They were oddly specific that David and Darlene had sex 3 months ago. I really hope it isn't that she is pregnant with David's baby. They can fanwank it that she is irregular or was too busy dealing with Roseanne's death to notice she wasn't regular. Ugh.

Yep. I noticed that too.

• Love 3

They need to record this show without an audience reacting audibly.  

I love the green plaid shirt Dan wears in the opening. 

I kind of don’t think David would be with someone like Blue. 

Sara Gilbert is so good. She really lands the jokes well and naturally.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I haven't seen most of what Justin Long has been in but I always recognize him as the kid from Galaxy Quest and the Mac guy in the commercials. 

• Love 10

Geena really really makes me want to see a scene between her and Roseanne.  I really want to see how Roseanne would have reacted to her.  She'd either hate Geena or Geena would be her new Bestie!

Edited by flyingdi
Because Spellcheck sucks!
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I haven’t watched the episode yet, and I actually WANTED the baby to be David and Darlene’s, but I’m guessing she isn’t pregnant bc wasn’t she drinking a lot in the ep?  Like I said I didn’t watch but I read stuff about a drinking contest and the new boyfriend buying her a drink.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Like I said I didn’t watch but I read stuff about a drinking contest and the new boyfriend buying her a drink.

Yes, but if things have been so crazy that she's forgotten that she's late OR if she's irregular and expects it to come eventually, she's not going to be thinking that she's possibly pregnant. Like I said, the oddly specific mention of 3 months (right when TV characters always seem to find out they're pregnant) just made my ears perk up. Hopefully it is a misdirect.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Yes, but if things have been so crazy that she's forgotten that she's late OR if she's irregular and expects it to come eventually, she's not going to be thinking that she's possibly pregnant. Like I said, the oddly specific mention of 3 months (right when TV characters always seem to find out they're pregnant) just made my ears perk up. Hopefully it is a misdirect.

Ah I just assumed if the show was going to make her pregnant they wouldn’t risk fetal alcohol syndrome or something.... but maybe she didn’t drink too much??  Like I said I am still hoping it’s them, I am reading all the articles coming out about this ep and it’s making me so sad!   

4 minutes ago, TudorQueen said:

I think I'm the only one here who wants Darlene and David to get back together. But I do.

I want them back together sooooooo badly.    

• Love 10

Considering the age of everyone involved, they could also fanwank it as she thought she was entering menopause. She's a little young but it's not unheard of at her age. 

I haven’t watched the episode yet, and I actually WANTED the baby to be David and Darlene’s, but I’m guessing she isn’t pregnant bc wasn’t she drinking a lot in the ep?  Like I said I didn’t watch but I read stuff about a drinking contest and the new boyfriend buying her a drink.  

Like, I am not *advocating* getting drunk while pregnant but if one drop causes grievous damage, I think we'd have a lot more cases of FAS wandering around. Darlene doesn't appear to drink to excess. If she's the pregnant one, I am sure the baby will be fine (although at her age, Downs Syndrome should at least be mentioned). And I am pretty sure she will be the pregnant one because the stuff with Harris feels like an obvious misdirect. 

• Love 13