Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Tangled Up in Blue

tessaray
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

This was a great episode.  I wonder why they are showing them out of order?

I loved everything, but Jackie talking about how Bev tells her that she was attractive, but neither of her daughters were, made me laugh out loud.  She is my fave!

I hope they do another season....this show brings me strange comfort.  I love it.  

They probably hoped that would keep viewers who tuned in for the premiere.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I hope they do another season....this show brings me strange comfort.  I love it.  

It’s still so surreal to me that it exists, like if I could have chosen any show to come back out of all my past favorites, it would have been this one.   

Did you see ABC ordered another episode? I think it’s odd to literally get one more episode but the article said ABC might order more, or I am wondering if possibly there was a storyline they really needed more room to do an asked ABC if they could and were told go for it.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, I guess he has that going for him. Which is nice.

It's true that David never met approval he didn't need, while his brother seemed to take their parents' rejection in the opposite direction. But like Mark and like Dan as well, David also took (fearful) pride in his work, for its own sake. Fearful: as if his belief in himself were something that could be snatched away from him, arbitrarily, at any moment. 

• Love 8

ABC ordered one more last season as well when Season 10 was shaping up very well.

It's not a big shock it would be revived. It was a massive hit in its day and revivals are huge right now.

• Love 6

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed a few of Becky's lines in this episode, like when she said she was getting a mobile home with a tree she could cling to when the tornado hit, and when she said she too was looking forward to meeting the sober Becky. 

Lecy Goranson has such a unique delivery - it can be very rough at times but when it works it really works. It's one of the things that makes the show feel different. 

• Love 15

So I guess no nods to Becky and Mark moving into the trailer park. I kept waiting for Darlene to lean into that one. I always liked Lecy and honestly I don't think she speaks weird or anything but I may be just used to hearing her so it doesn't bug. I really hope it's BECKY that has a baby.

I don't care how many ABC orders as long as it does. Though I do kind of long for the old 20ish episodes per season.  

• Love 6

I am surprised Becky wants to move back into a trailer. She had an apartment last season (when she instantly regretted letting Bev stay with her, after Bev and Christopher Lloyd immediately began having sex). I hope it was just a gag line.

Lecy has always had a kooky delivery since she got older - both her abject horror and her dry stuff is very funny to me.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, tessaray said:

Actually, the way David handled Mark's death seems realistic enough to me.  We all handle pain and grief in our own ways. And David didn't have much emotional resilience thanks to his childhood trauma.  

15 hours ago, BeachDays said:

I think they can certainly address it and maybe pad it out a bit more (possibly with emphasis on his abused childhood before he moved in with the Conners) -  but will they? I’m not sure.   But the surprising thing is he now has a steady job in Lanford and seems determined to “make up for lost time” and the kids seem to like him and Darlene still loves him (whether or not they get together again or permanently separated) so it might just be one of those things that isn’t exactly realistic but we just gotta go with it.   I personally would love if they addressed it some more but right now they seem to play it off more for laughs -  like David taking a second before he realized “hi Dad” was for him, or Dan saying if David disappeared everyone would just think he ran off again.   

I think I chose to block out those jokes because of my disappointment with David's character. But as @tessaray said, he didn't have much emotional resilience. Darlene had a solid family background if nothing else with loving parents and Aunt Jackie. David's was a huge contrast.

I'm now even more appreciative of his efforts. I know people don't like Blue but I think it will be interesting to see how he stays the course with yet another bossy partner in his life. I'm glad the kids don't hate him. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

She was saving for a down payment. I took it as wanting something to call her own vs renting.

Probably so. Mobile homes can be pretty spacious and attractive, too. It's a better investment overall because it's home ownership.  I'm guessing the trailer will be much larger. She won't be in a trailer park, just a neighborhood that is zoned to allow mobile homes. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Probably so. Mobile homes can be pretty spacious and attractive, too. It's a better investment overall because it's home ownership.  I'm guessing the trailer will be much larger. She won't be in a trailer park, just a neighborhood that is zoned to allow mobile homes. 

I've been in many trailers that are honestly very spacious and beautiful inside and even on the outside. You almost go: "This is a trailer?" I see both David and Becky's downward spiral since Mark died to be sadly, extremely realistic. David did have a very abusive background growing up and catered more to women of authority like Darlene, Rosanne and now Blue. Same with Becky just not knowing how to dig herself out of the hole she built herself. It started at 18 with: "Oh no, I'm not getting into my college choice, my life is over and my boyfriend is leaving." Flashforward a few years later with: "Oh my God!" "I was being a really stupid little kid, I could have just gotten over myself and things would have been fine." Then Mark died and Becky didn't know what to do, she had no education, she had a shitty job, her husband was dead, she was now stuck in a shotty trailer and the only she could think of was: "My life sucks, might as just come to he fact, I'm a loser." As a result, look what has happened. 

• Love 11

Youth is wasted on the young.  Is a perfect way to describe Becky.  She was smart but selfish.  When she found out that Dan and Roseanne had no college fund for her she could have looked up other options but instead she ran off with Mark.  Then again there were plenty of times Roseanne could have shown all of the kids how to better themselves but never did always taking the minimum wage job instead of working for the better paying ones.  So I can see why Becky would give up each time something got hard and then when Mark died it hit her so hard she is only now starting to recover.

• Love 10
On 10/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, love2lovebadtv said:

I don't think I've ever seen a character on a TV show move to or live in a really nice mobile home.  It would be nice if the show goes there but usually living in a mobile home is another way of showing someone eking out a life at the bottom of the barrel.

• Love 8
On 10/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, Pete Martell said:

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed a few of Becky's lines in this episode, like when she said she was getting a mobile home with a tree she could cling to when the tornado hit, and when she said she too was looking forward to meeting the sober Becky. 

Lecy Goranson has such a unique delivery - it can be very rough at times but when it works it really works. It's one of the things that makes the show feel different. 

On 10/27/2018 at 6:55 PM, FairyDusted said:

So I guess no nods to Becky and Mark moving into the trailer park. I kept waiting for Darlene to lean into that one. I always liked Lecy and honestly I don't think she speaks weird or anything but I may be just used to hearing her so it doesn't bug. I really hope it's BECKY that has a baby.

I don't care how many ABC orders as long as it does. Though I do kind of long for the old 20ish episodes per season.  

On 10/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, jsbt said:

I am surprised Becky wants to move back into a trailer. She had an apartment last season (when she instantly regretted letting Bev stay with her, after Bev and Christopher Lloyd immediately began having sex). I hope it was just a gag line.

Lecy has always had a kooky delivery since she got older - both her abject horror and her dry stuff is very funny to me.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:37 PM, theredhead77 said:

She was saving for a down payment. I took it as wanting something to call her own vs renting.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, love2lovebadtv said:

On 10/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, readster said:

I've been in many trailers that are honestly very spacious and beautiful inside and even on the outside. You almost go: "This is a trailer?" I see both David and Becky's downward spiral since Mark died to be sadly, extremely realistic. David did have a very abusive background growing up and catered more to women of authority like Darlene, Rosanne and now Blue. Same with Becky just not knowing how to dig herself out of the hole she built herself. It started at 18 with: "Oh no, I'm not getting into my college choice, my life is over and my boyfriend is leaving." Flashforward a few years later with: "Oh my God!" "I was being a really stupid little kid, I could have just gotten over myself and things would have been fine." Then Mark died and Becky didn't know what to do, she had no education, she had a shitty job, her husband was dead, she was now stuck in a shotty trailer and the only she could think of was: "My life sucks, might as just come to he fact, I'm a loser." As a result, look what has happened. 

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Youth is wasted on the young.  Is a perfect way to describe Becky.  She was smart but selfish.  When she found out that Dan and Roseanne had no college fund for her she could have looked up other options but instead she ran off with Mark.  Then again there were plenty of times Roseanne could have shown all of the kids how to better themselves but never did always taking the minimum wage job instead of working for the better paying ones.  So I can see why Becky would give up each time something got hard and then when Mark died it hit her so hard she is only now starting to recover.

53 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I don't think I've ever seen a character on a TV show move to or live in a really nice mobile home.  It would be nice if the show goes there but usually living in a mobile home is another way of showing someone eking out a life at the bottom of the barrel.

First, I want to agree with everyone who said that this show does not need Roseanne. Her departure has allowed the remaining characters to evolve in interesting ways.

That being said the character of Becky has really affected me. I remember being absolutely sure she was the one that was going to break up the cycle. The way her life turned out is kind of shocking to me but it makes sense she has been stuck since Mark’s death.

It would be wonderful if she got herself together and moved into a nice trailer, it would be a great step in the right direction. It would also be a bittersweet memory of her reaction to moving into a trailer park years ago and how embarrassed she was by her life circumstances. That was also the episode that she thought she could go to medical school and the rest of the family sort of thought it would be easy for her since “Becky always got good grades”, showing how they really did not understand the higher education system. This was realistic in the pre internet days.

I also want Becky to find some happiness that does not include motherhood. Children are wonderful but they limit your freedom. Men are allowed to complain about this but women are supposed to be nurturers who are selfish if they do not want to spend their lives looking after other people.

I once met a man who claimed that his future wife needed to wait on his elderly mother hand and foot, as that was a sign of respect in his culture. He expected this reverence on top of her running the family and holding down a full-time job.  When I asked why the hell could he not just take care of his own mother he looked at me like I was crazy.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11
59 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

As somebody who spent their childhood living in a mobile home, I'd really love to see a positive portrayal of that on TV, too. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

As somebody who spent their childhood living in a mobile home, I'd really love to see a positive portrayal of that on TV, too. 

One of my best friends was gifted with a mobile home when she got married.  It meant she and her husband started off life in a very nice house that was pretty damn luxurious especially compared to the apartments the rest of us were living in at the time!  And it meant that she built up some equity over a few years and moved on to another house with a substantial downpayment while the rest of us were still trying to save up for the first house.  And all this while living in a very nice development that did not look ANYTHING like the kinds of "trailer parks" you generally see on TV.

• Love 7

That's really cool. Good for her. Yeah, there can be some very nice mobile homes out there. Mine wasn't quite as nice as some of the ones my friends had, and it was a little smaller, but it was still pretty decent. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

First, I want to agree with everyone who said that this show does not need Roseanne. Her departure has allowed the remaining characters to evolve in interesting ways.

That being said the character of Becky has really affected me. I remember being absolutely sure she was the one that was going to break up the cycle. The way her life turned out is kind of shocking to me but it makes sense she has been stuck since Mark’s death.

It would be wonderful if she got herself together and moved into a nice trailer, it would be a great step in the right direction. It would also be a bittersweet memory of her reaction to moving into a trailer park years ago and how embarrassed she was by her life circumstances. That was also the episode that she thought she could go to medical school and the rest of the family sort of thought it would be easy for her since “Becky always got good grades”, showing how they really did not understand the higher education system. This was realistic in the pre internet days.

I also want Becky to find some happiness that does not include motherhood. Children are wonderful but they limit your freedom. Men are allowed to complain about this but women are supposed to be nurturers who are selfish if they do not want to spend their lives looking after other people.

I once met a man who claimed that his future wife needed to wait on his elderly mother hand and foot, as that was a sign of respect in his culture. He expected this reverence on top of her running the family and holding down a full-time job.  When I asked why the hell could he not just take care of his own mother he looked at me like I was crazy.

I had a conversation like that with a guy once. He was mad because his girlfriend hadn't made his breakfast because she had to be at work early that day. I asked if she worked full time and he said Yes. He said she had to do all the cooking, cleaning and running of the household because that what women were made for, as well as holding down a full time job. I said "well, this conversation is over." He replied "yeah, it usually is."

• Love 8

I feel like if they were going to have Becky looking to live in one of those neighborhoods that's just a regular neighborhood only with nice manufactured homes, or in a mobile/manufactured home on a lot not in a park, they wouldn't have had her refer to it as a "trailer."  But also, (as was mentioned), there are nice trailer parks. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've always thought that I would much rather live in a trailer home by myself than a "nicer" place that I have to share with a non-SO. 

My aunt Bijou and I had a long talk about that once. We both declared we'd rather live in a nice trailer than a condo where you can hear every move you neighbors make.

• Love 5

I actually lived in a mobile home growing up that was basically a three-bedroom circa late 1980's ranch house, but I can't picture this show depicting nice mobile even homes. Kind of a shame though. Modern trailer parks wouldn't even accept the kind of trailer Becky and Mark lived in during the original show.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

In the revival season of Roseanne, Becky was planning to use her surrogacy payment to buy a house.  With a house now out of reach since that fell through, it seems she's looking to buy a mobile home instead - she wants to own rather than rent, and this is the way she can do it.  They already did the "living in an actual trailer (the kind intended for camping, not living) in a stereotypical trashy trailer park" storyline in the original series, when she and Mark returned to Lanford.  So I don't think they'll go down that road again - that was the only thing they could afford then, whereas now it's something she's choosing over an apartment.  It's not going to be great, and it's just one more thing that falls short of what she'd hoped for, but I don't think it will be something awful.  She'll make it work.

It's why I will be incredibly disappointed if she's the unexpected pregnancy; she is just taking the first teeny tiny baby steps to get her life on a better track, and a baby would completely derail that.

• Love 6
On 10/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, BlossomCulp said:

One of my best friends was gifted with a mobile home when she got married.  It meant she and her husband started off life in a very nice house that was pretty damn luxurious especially compared to the apartments the rest of us were living in at the time!  And it meant that she built up some equity over a few years and moved on to another house with a substantial downpayment while the rest of us were still trying to save up for the first house.  And all this while living in a very nice development that did not look ANYTHING like the kinds of "trailer parks" you generally see on TV.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:15 AM, Annber03 said:

On 10/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, Annber03 said:

That's really cool. Good for her. Yeah, there can be some very nice mobile homes out there. Mine wasn't quite as nice as some of the ones my friends had, and it was a little smaller, but it was still pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've always thought that I would much rather live in a trailer home by myself than a "nicer" place that I have to share with a non-SO. 

51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My aunt Bijou and I had a long talk about that once. We both declared we'd rather live in a nice trailer than a condo where you can hear every move you neighbors make.

There had been some speculation that the tiny home movement where people buy ill thought out homes that are not up to code rather than purchase perfectly nice trailer homes that would meet all their needs is due to this stigma.

• Love 6
On 10/23/2018 at 11:19 PM, BeachDays said:

Yeah my guess was always that she got pregnant from that one time encounter, OR that they would be still sleeping together while dating other people.   I’m guessing the second won’t happen, but the first is still on the table.   

It would be interesting if she finds out she is pregnant and she is confused bc she used protection with the new bf and then the md mentions she is already 14 weeks along or whatever.   Although if this is her 3rd pregnancy she would likely be showing a gut already.  ;)

But maybe it’s someone else ??‍♀️

Just watched the episode. I'm confused, why is everybody thinking Darlene may be pregnant? I assumed when she and David did the deed, they were smart enough to use protection (well Darlene at least, David well meh.)

I'm in the minority here, I don't mind Blue - I have a few friends like her. Granted I would likely not be in a romantic relationship with that person, but as friends go they are fantastic and lots of fun to be around, with all the quirky.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, ams1001 said:

I remember them mentioning Jerry (but not Andy, that I recall) last season. You'd think post-funeral episode would have been a good time to at least work in a mention. Maybe something about being glad they could make it there but then had to get back to wherever they're at now, or something.

I don't think they will mention Andy, or if they do, it will be odd that he didn't even come up in conversation last year. Last season there was talk of Jackie "being all alone" and living alone and so could take Bev in. I would think if Andy were at college Jackie would have been quick to say she couldn't have Bev move in as Andy would soon return. But I suppose they could take a sharp turn and bring him back.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

Just watched the episode. I'm confused, why is everybody thinking Darlene may be pregnant? I assumed when she and David did the deed, they were smart enough to use protection (well Darlene at least, David well meh.)

I'm in the minority here, I don't mind Blue - I have a few friends like her. Granted I would likely not be in a romantic relationship with that person, but as friends go they are fantastic and lots of fun to be around, with all the quirky.

When teasing the new season, one of the lines was that the family would be dealing with an unexpected pregnancy. That's why people are trying to figure out who it will be. It hasn't come up in the episodes aired.

• Love 3