Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Tangled Up in Blue

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Yeah my guess was always that she got pregnant from that one time encounter, OR that they would be still sleeping together while dating other people.   I’m guessing the second won’t happen, but the first is still on the table.   

It would be interesting if she finds out she is pregnant and she is confused bc she used protection with the new bf and then the md mentions she is already 14 weeks along or whatever.   Although if this is her 3rd pregnancy she would likely be showing a gut already.  ;)

But maybe it’s someone else ??‍♀️

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, TudorQueen said:

I think I'm the only one here who wants Darlene and David to get back together. But I do.

I'd be fine with this, too. I'd certainly rather them be a couple than David and Blue.

I liked how Darlene handled talking to Harris in regards to the sex stuff. And I like Dan working with Becky in regards to her drinking. I hope she can get the help to deal with that, 'cause I'm all for her and Dan working together and would like to see her keep this job if it's something she thinks she wants to do.

Also, one of my favorite lines was when Becky was talking about buying a trailer home and having a tree that you can tie yourself to when a tornado hits :p. 

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, TudorQueen said:

I'm really enjoying this show and hope it succeeds. The cast - especially the lovely and talented John Goodman - has never been better in these roles.

I think I'm the only one here who wants Darlene and David to get back together. But I do.

You are not the only one I shipped these two before I knew what shipping was. I get why they broke up but with Big Bang Theory ending TPTB might want to make David a regular. At least we hope.

• Love 15

I'm liking this show and I don't miss Roseanne at all. 

Who let's the teenage daughter of your boyfriend that you only met twice have sex at your house. That's not crossing a line that's running over the line. And completely disrespectful. I can't believe they'd make David think that woman is his soulmate. I also hope they don't make Harris the pregnant one especially since that actress did the teen mom storyline on Shameless. 

I did like Darlene saying that David was the daughter Roseanne always wanted. Those two still have so much chemistry. The mentioning of the 3 months is weird, unless Darlene is pregnant. I can see her not noticing yet since she's probably under a lot of stress dealing with her mother's death. 

Becky's drinking problem needed to be addressed. I'll see how they handle it. 

• Love 18

Ironically the original Roseanne was hit and miss.  I always thought it suffered from what a lot of long time shows suffer from...what to do with kids as they grow up.  I disagree that Sara Gilbert is a bad actress and go as far as thinking she holds her own with Goodman and Metcalf it just took her a little while to grow into it.  Darlene’s depression storyline was just awful and it had nothing to do with the acting.  It was the writing that made no sense.  

That being said Sara is holding her own as the lead now and I am enjoying the more ensemble feel of the show.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn’t even realize last week what makes Darlene laugh in the new around-the-table credits – she puts a fruit plate down in front of Dan, and he distracts Harris in order to switch plates with her.

I thought it was more that he takes an entire sausage and sucks it into his mouth in one shot (definitely sounds dirty but I mean this literally lol). ?

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Ironically the original Roseanne was hit and miss.  I always thought it suffered from what a lot of long time shows suffer from...what to do with kids as they grow up.  I disagree that Sara Gilbert is a bad actress and go as far as thinking she holds her own with Goodman and Metcalf it just took her a little while to grow into it.  Darlene’s depression storyline was just awful and it had nothing to do with the acting.  It was the writing that made no sense.  

That being said Sara is holding her own as the lead now and I am enjoying the more ensemble feel of the show.  

I never cared for Sara, but I think she’s doing great here.  I like her being the focus, with Dan, Becky and Jackie being strong supporting roles.  

Dj and his wife can be used sparingly.  And I can do without Mark, because the character is so contrived.  I don’t like Harris, but she’s been better. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Surprisingly strong guest stars for a new sitcom. 

I believe this episode was supposed to appear a few weeks later, so that would put it in November sweeps when strong guest stars pop out of the woodwork.

I’m thinking Darlene mentioning the 3 months is a way of cataloging the passage of time.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Thanks for naming Justin Long for me guys, but here's the crazy part. When I saw him I thought "Oh! He looks like a young Justin Long! I wonder who he is?"

I thought the same thing! Then my husband wanders in and says "hey it's the guy from Ed". I didn't believe him.

Loved Darlene telling David he was the daughter Roseanne always wanted. That was vintage Darlene. 

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, wendyg said:

There are more options for pregnant women...Geena, for example. And Blue, who would provide better dramatic conflict.

Geena wouldn't be dramatic conflict - oh the horror, a married woman in her md thirties having a baby with her husband! :)

Blue would be conflict BUT... I think they don't have the actor playing David able to join the cast until next year. Agree otherwise, that David deciding to be a decent father to his *third* child would be nicely dramatic. 

But my bet is on Darlene. Prove me wrong, show! :D

• Love 4

I really hope it's Becky although I think Darlene or Harris are being positioned as the most obvious.   It would be interesting to have Becky get pregnant and have that be the catalyst to stop drinking. Also, it solves the issue that @Bronzedog brings up.   Becky doesn't live with them so the baby wouldn't have to be front and center for all the episodes like it would be if D or H had it.

I like this episode and I really love Juliette Lewis so I hope she sticks around more.  I didn't like the Justin Long character because I thought his pick up lines were so bizarrely awkward.   They didn't seem to have any chemistry.  

Edited by LBS
  • Love 5

Darlene meeting a new guy also makes me think it's her. She'll think it's the new guy's then find out she's much further along and know it's David's. 

I do agree they shouldn't be adding a baby and having Geena or Becky be pregnant would solve the not seeing the baby all the time more than Darlene or Harris. 

• Love 6

I’d like it to be Becky only for her to seem like she finally caught a break. She seemed disappointed last year when she was told that she couldn’t have children.

David looked rough and was just plain sad. It seemed like he went from one somewhat domineering woman to another in Blue. Blue didn’t have any redeeming qualities. It seemed like she was just trying to make her presence known, first at the parent teacher conference and then at David’s house. Also, that jean jacket that David wore looked like it was the same one he wore in the original series. 

The dialogue and delivery in this show is so great. After everyone’s emotionally draining week last week, the atmosphere seems so different. 

• Love 15

I'm really hoping that Darlene and Harris are red herrings and that it's Becky. Because I want at least one of the Conners to be happy and a pregnancy storyline for either Darlene or Harris wouldn't be.  Darlene has enough on her shoulders, Harris is too young and Geena is too normal.  A pregnant Becky would give Darlene plenty of things to snark about and there's enough drama with the drinking to keep it topical but not too controversial. (If it was Darlene, they would at least have to give some airtime to abortion and I can't see that being a big laugh generator. I like The Conners but it isn't Maude.) 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Jackie, Darlene, and Becky were great together.  More snarky Jackie, please.

im shocked how much I like Becky.  

Roseanne leaving catapulted this show from being a nostalgia revival into a current show with great potential.  I don’t miss her at all.  

Perfect!!!  

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I'm really hoping that Darlene and Harris are red herrings and that it's Becky. Because I want at least one of the Conners to be happy and a pregnancy storyline for either Darlene or Harris wouldn't be.  Darlene has enough on her shoulders, Harris is too young and Geena is too normal.  A pregnant Becky would give Darlene plenty of things to snark about and there's enough drama with the drinking to keep it topical but not too controversial. (If it was Darlene, they would at least have to give some airtime to the A word and I can't see that being a big laugh generator.) 

What’s the A word?   alcohol?  Adultery? 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’d like it to be Becky only for her to seem like she finally caught a break. She seemed disappointed last year when she was told that she couldn’t have children.

David looked rough and was just plain sad. It seemed like he went from one somewhat domineering woman to another in Blue. Blue didn’t have any redeeming qualities. It seemed like she was just trying to make her presence known, first at the parent teacher conference and then at David’s house. Also, that jean jacket that David wore looked like it was the same one he wore in the original series. 

Blue's got an agenda. That "my farts smell like mother Earth, let's go hug a rainbow" bullshit may not be an act, but it's damn sure a cover for something nefarious.

• Love 9

I think this episode was the real test of whether or not "The Conners" could work and I would say they passed with flying colors. It really stood on its own without Roseanne or much mention of her death. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how much Sara Gilbert has grown as an actress. She wasn't really anything special during the show's original run when she was just a kid and hasn't really done a whole lot of acting since then, so it's especially impressive at how effective she can be in those really emotional moments.

I'm not particularly looking forward to where Becky's storyline might be going because it looks like it's pretty serious. I know the show tackles serious issues all the time but I think the family dealing with their new reality without Roseanne provides enough emotional fodder for one season.

I'm amazed at how easily Johnny Galecki can slip back into playing David after 10 years of playing Leonard on Big Bang, and I don't even see the slightest hint of Leonard in his portrayal. On paper the two characters wouldn't seem that  different but there are so many nuances to both and Galecki manages to find them all, right down to the classic David hair. 

I'll be interested to see what happens once this season is over because I doubt whether John Goodman or Laurie Metcalf would be willing to sign on for additional seasons - I'm pretty sure they only did this season because they were already signed on before the whole Roseanne Twitter mess. I think this episode makes a good argument that a spin-off with Darlene, Mark and Becky would work quite well without Dan or Jackie.

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Blue's got an agenda. That "my farts smell like mother Earth, let's go hug a rainbow" bullshit may not be an act, but it's damn sure a cover for something nefarious.

Nah, she’s just Juliette Lewis. 

• Love 10

the writers have done an outstanding job at making me despise Blue. 

Ditto.  And I despise her even more after seeing what a douche JL was on WWHL last night.  Her appearance on there ruined her for me and I always LOVED her.  She was so fake, . So "hollywood." 

• Love 4

I finally watched this episode and omg it was hilarious and moving and just quality.   Johnny Galecki is seamless-  he belongs on this show.   And Sara Gilbert is fantastic.  Juliette Lewis and Justin Long did great with their parts.

John Goodman was amazing like always and I realized he is reminding me a lot John Mahoney as Martin Crane.  

I know I’m just listing people at this point but Lecy is still blowing me away, she can do comedy and drama and I’m looking forward to her stories this season.   Laurie Metcalf is perfection, I was laughing/crying at her monologue in the beginning.   D.J., Geena, and the 3 kids were great too.   

Ok now that I got it off my chest that I love this show and this cast lol, this ep really left me feeling that David and Darlene still really love each other and I can see them getting back together again.   I don’t think Blue is David’s soulmate at all-  even when he said it, you could see Darlene is his soulmate.   Like either these two are getting back together or Sara and Johnny just have amazing chemistry that no one else will compare.   The only thing preventing me from putting money on D&D is if Sara Gilbert feels strongly about showing a divorced family, and from some interviews last season it seems like she does.   But honestly their chemistry is so good even if the characters married other people it would still be the two of them in my eyes.   

Yes i I am a hopeless (and hopeful!) shipper ?

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Sorry, I was referring to abortion. It's just the way some of my friends refer to it. I should fix it. 

Honestly, no matter who gets pregnant, I'm pretty sure that's how they're going to resolve it.  Harris is too young to be having a baby and everyone else can't afford one.  Also, if they do go the abortion route, my guess is that Dan will be against it initially, just to add more conflict.  The only exception to this would be if Geena was the one who was pregnant, as she and DJ would be in the best position to have a baby.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

John Goodman was amazing like always and I realized he is reminding me a lot John Mahoney as Martin Crane.  

Aw, yeah, I can totally see that comparison. Two of the best TV dads ever. 

• Love 16

The only thing preventing me from putting money on D&D is if Sara Gilbert feels strongly about showing a divorced family, and from some interviews last season it seems like she does. 

Maybe, but I think the biggest reason David and Darlene aren't together is simply the fact that Johnny Galecki is contracted to The Big Bang Theory and can't film two shows at once. I'm surprised he's even available for one-episode guest appearances considering his contract is with a rival network. Story-wise it's kind of necessary they be separated. It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, going forward.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, no matter who gets pregnant, I'm pretty sure that's how they're going to resolve it.  Harris is too young to be having a baby and everyone else can't afford one.  Also, if they do go the abortion route, my guess is that Dan will be against it initially, just to add more conflict.  The only exception to this would be if Geena was the one who was pregnant, as she and DJ would be in the best position to have a baby.

Isn't Geena just on leave and about to go back to Afghanistan? Just because she is married doesn't mean that an unexpected pregnancy wouldn't mess up her life under the circumstances.

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think this episode was the real test of whether or not "The Conners" could work and I would say they passed with flying colors. It really stood on its own without Roseanne or much mention of her death. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how much Sara Gilbert has grown as an actress. She wasn't really anything special during the show's original run when she was just a kid and hasn't really done a whole lot of acting since then, so it's especially impressive at how effective she can be in those really emotional moments.

I'm not particularly looking forward to where Becky's storyline might be going because it looks like it's pretty serious. I know the show tackles serious issues all the time but I think the family dealing with their new reality without Roseanne provides enough emotional fodder for one season.

I'm amazed at how easily Johnny Galecki can slip back into playing David after 10 years of playing Leonard on Big Bang, and I don't even see the slightest hint of Leonard in his portrayal. On paper the two characters wouldn't seem that  different but there are so many nuances to both and Galecki manages to find them all, right down to the classic David hair. 

I'll be interested to see what happens once this season is over because I doubt whether John Goodman or Laurie Metcalf would be willing to sign on for additional seasons - I'm pretty sure they only did this season because they were already signed on before the whole Roseanne Twitter mess. I think this episode makes a good argument that a spin-off with Darlene, Mark and Becky would work quite well without Dan or Jackie.

I disagree, I think Goodman and Metcalf would do more seasons. Goodman seemed happy to have steady work, and Metcalf has said that Jackie is her favorite role. Just as long as the scripts are good I think they'd stay on. On the pregnancy, if it is Darlene think she won't have the baby, likely a miscarriage. But could cause drama for sure. I would like Becky to have a child, could be the reason she gets sober. Good enjoyable episode all around.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Jackie, Darlene, and Becky were great together.  More snarky Jackie, please.

And the "job or no job" scene shows just how well the writers understand life in lower income neighborhoods.

"Those stitches are nice and straight.  He has a job with health insurance!"  Might be a funny line, but give the show extra credit for truly understanding that this is how many people think.

2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

So what if it's Bev?   She could say she wanted to make up for the daughter she lost and she used hormones and a donor/sperm bank. 

Everybody say it with me!

Craftmatic Adjustable Bev

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Disagree about Sarah as as a child/teen actress - she was incredible, she was so natural you didn't even think she was acting, Same for Lecy  & Johnny too

Also, they could hold their own playing a scene with John, Laurie or Estelle.

If the orig contract still holds from the earlier reboot of Roseanne ,, ABC okayed 2 seasons

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 10

I can see Darlene being pregnant and that making Becky jealous and she starts drinking more.   

Was surprised Dan didn’t fire Becky on the spot for bringing the vodka and drinking on the job.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

As someone who didn’t really watch the original much, and is a huge fan of BBT, I was blown away last season when he first appeared at how different his voice is just between the two characters. Like you said, nothing about his portrayal of David reminds me of Leonard. He is incredible. I guess I’m sort of a JG fan girl lol. 

I really loved this episode, I laughed out loud several times. I loved the scene at the restaurant with the three women. Also loved the end tag with Dan and David. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 12

Darlene has enough on her shoulders, Harris is too young and Geena is too normal.  

And I really can't grasp the fact that if Harris is the pregnant one then our little Darlene will be a grandmother.  That makes me feel older than Moses.  I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that Lecy Goranson is 44.  Where did my youth go??

• Love 11
16 hours ago, tessaray said:

I haven't seen most of what Justin Long has been in but I always recognize him as the kid from Galaxy Quest and the Mac guy in the commercials. 

I know Justin Long from horror films Jeepers Creepers and Drag Me to Hell.  He was also in high profile relationships with Drew Barrymore and Amanda Seyfried. 

• Love 6

I'm not missing Roseanne either, just for the record.  But did they even mention her this week?  If not, probably the best approach.  Get all the questions and drama out of the way in the first episode, then drop it.

She might be more missed next week in the Halloween show though, she was always a driving force in those.

It's good to have Johnny Galecki on, I wonder how often he is going to be on?  And will he be featured more after Big Bang Theory goes off the air?

Is it really necessary to have Dan Conner threaten him on every episode though?

• Love 3

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I am incredibly confused. Please correct me if I am wrong and this is just some concocted plot my brain formed from being so young when it was on; but did David and Darlene have a kid in the original series? Did they ret-con this like they ret-conned Dan dying?

Edited by JNM5505

Sara and Lecy were both very good this week, as was Galecki - the end stuff clearly means the David/Darlene/Blue/Justin Long quad is not over, IMO. The Jackie stuff was also very Jackie without being too goofy. Emma Kenney is finally finding a groove as well - I liked the car scene, and Darlene contrasting her parenting with Roseanne's both in word and action. It all clicked. (Also, Mark lipsyncing in the back cracked me up for some reason.)

Loved seeing Dan with both David and Becky more. Those relationships are important and haven't been serviced in a long time.

I agree with the calls for more Geena! But really, the show and characters aren't missing a beat tonally from the original series - it's all the same stuff, issues, family material, just with a different configuration of leads. It's actually impressive.

Is Becky wearing Mark's ring around her neck?

2 minutes ago, JNM5505 said:

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I am incredibly confused. Please correct me if I am wrong and this is just some concocted plot my brain formed from being so young when it was on; but did David and Darlene have a kid in the original series?

Yes, in Season 9. Harris has been slightly de-aged, as she was originally born in '97(?).

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 10

I liked how Darlene handled talking to Harris in regards to the sex stuff.

Yeah, this show has always been good at handling teen sexuality- Becky going on birth control before she went all the way with Mark at about 17, Darlene having a pretty active sex life with David when she was 16, and DJ deciding that he and Heather Matarazzo's character just weren't ready yet. I'd hate if they had Harris get pregnant to "punish" her for having sex like they did with Julia on Party of 5. And the fact that they talked so nonchalantly about using the Morning After Pill, which has been described inaccurately as an abortion pill, was awesome. It's literally just a high dose of the pill in case you didn't accurately use birth control during the actual sex act.

Becky's alcoholism is being handled pretty well. We know she has a problem, they know she has a problem, but they're not launching into an after-school special intervention, at least not yet.

JL was just perfect casting for Blue. I just believe her as an obnoxious hippy-dippy type, and I get why this current iteration of David would into her.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 17