Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Dee

Cats (2019)

So many questions...  

First of all, why Cats in the first place?  I know, I know, it ran for eight billion years, but it's been closed for decades and it was the butt of jokes even when it was running.  It's a weird musical even on stage, it has little to no plot, the music isn't great, save Memory (the Jellicle Cats Song, makes me want to take an ice pick to my eardrums).  That being said, how did this abomination come into being? 

How high was the production team that they thought this looked good?  Why do cats have boobs?  Why does this look like a body horror film that should have been directed by Cronenberg?  People caught halfway between human and cat... Why do I feel like Tom Hooper really liked Cat People and said, "Let's make that a musical?"  Why not just either make them CGI cats or go cheap and put them in costumes...

Edited to add

What are the chances of seeing CGI tap-dancing cockroaches in this, do you think?

Edited by Proclone · Reason: adding a thought
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 2

On the news, they showed the "Cats" trailer but someone used the voiceover from the "It: Part 2" trailer. It matches. lol 

• Laugh 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, Proclone said:

It's a weird musical even on stage, it has little to no plot, the music isn't great, save Memory (the Jellicle Cats Song, makes me want to take an ice pick to my eardrums).

I always liked Macavity but, yeah Memories and Macavity are pretty much the only two good songs, IMO

Edited by Morrigan2575

I just want to know if Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is in this?

hocus pocus magic GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

• Like 4

It's the dancing that makes the show more than the singing or any storyline, the way they move like cats. I saw the musical on stage years ago and enjoyed it. Then a DVD of a theater production came out and my young kids were riveted watching it. I'll give this a look but won't be expecting much. I find Jennifer Hudson too shouty. I'm afraid she'll ruin "Memory" for me.

• Like 5

On 7/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, Proclone said:

So many questions...  

First of all, why Cats in the first place?  I know, I know, it ran for eight billion years, but it's been closed for decades and it was the butt of jokes even when it was running.  It's a weird musical even on stage, it has little to no plot, the music isn't great, save Memory (the Jellicle Cats Song, makes me want to take an ice pick to my eardrums).  That being said, how did this abomination come into being? 

How high was the production team that they thought this looked good?  Why do cats have boobs?  Why does this look like a body horror film that should have been directed by Cronenberg?  People caught halfway between human and cat... Why do I feel like Tom Hooper really liked Cat People and said, "Let's make that a musical?"  Why not just either make them CGI cats or go cheap and put them in costumes...

Edited to add

What are the chances of seeing CGI tap-dancing cockroaches in this, do you think?

They should have went with Wicked! instead.

Until last night, I'd only seen the trailer for Cats here/on my computer screen.  I saw it before a movie, on the big screen, and it's terrifying when it's ginormous like that. 

• Like 1

I have had cats all my life.  I never, ever thought of them as one pirouette away from a ballerina.  More clutzy at least once a day and only half capable of hiding a mistake as intentional.  

Friends gave me the book of poems on which Cats is based before the play became famous.  (They are also cat people and we have had cats in common.) 

Then I saw the play, several times. 

We'll go see the movie.  It would have to be a total masterpiece to have a chance to supplant the stage play in our affections.

• Like 1

Well that was a little less freaky compared to the tease even if I think when I see it  Iwill spend all my time overthinking hwo the cats change sizes. One minute they appear super small compared to objects around them and next minute they seem regular size cats. I also chuckled at how hard that trailer tried in trying to fool the uninitiated that there is a solid plot to the story. I didn't seethe musica, just the filmed dvd version and all I remember is that it was 2 hours of singing and dancing cats who every now and then would remind us that someone was getting chosen for something special later that night, not plot in sight.

If the music in the trailer is replicated in the movie then maybe, just maybe it will be worth a trip to the cinema. The score sounded rich and amazing.

• Like 1