Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01/E02: Why Do We Have to Move?/Where's the Flyin' Lion

• Start Topic

On 10/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, BitterApple said:

Have Bill and Jen ever said why they prefer two-story homes? They're constantly making an issue about stairs, you'd think the obvious solution would be to live in a single story house. Part of me thinks it's an ego boost for Bill to brag about his elevator. 

I wonder if it's because it will allow them more space? I'm guessing they don't have basements in Florida and Texas? 

On 10/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, Libby said:

In this episode it was clear that Will and Zoey are very aware of the camera. Will actually said "look guys" a couple of times. I think a lot of Will and Zoey's bad behavior is excitment because they are being watched and showing off for the camera. I have a feeling that they are calmer and better behaved when the crew isn't around. I hope so...

I'd be willing to bet that's what it is.  They seem to get overly stimulated when the camera crew is around or they're experiencing something new.  

On 10/10/2018 at 8:34 AM, BusyOctober said:

I know they already bought a house (mansion) in FL, so watching this real estate focused show was kind of boring.  The houses (mansions) they looked at were stunning, and drool-worthy, but Jen and Bill’ constant negative dialogue about the style, the size, the levels/no levels, how much retrofitting they’d need to do, really got on my nerves.

You must not watch many house hunting shows lol 

I was also surprised that they brought the kids along but I've always heard that if you have a house for sale be prepared for people to go through closets and cabinets and other areas that you thought no one would want to look at.

I also noticed that the houses didn't really have any yard space for the kids to play.. but maybe they're used to that in Texas since their pool takes up the rest of their yard.  

And didn't they end up buying a style of house that is very similar to the one Jen hated? I'll be interested to see how they came to that decision.

• Love 4
On 10/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

Then that's something she should have thought about when becoming a parent.  My boys are both taller than me (they're teens) and I have no problem disciplining.  

I'm sure you have no problem disciplining because you taught them at a young age to respect you. 

IMO, these 2 kids are being taught that they are the center of the home & everything revolves around them. There are no boundaries or consequences at all. Time out involves being allowed to go play.  It's going to get worse as they get older.

There were 3 of us, we moved a lot when we were kids. My dad was a government rep for the pharmaceutical company. We never went on the house hunting trips. We were left with a neighbor while my parents flew to wherever we were moving to & found a new home. There is no need to drag those 2 kids along with you, what type of input are they going to give?

23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I really wonder how authoritative Jen is at work.  As a medical director, one would think she manages a large staff . . . does she count to three, then laugh and do nothing when they disobey directives at work?

I was wondering the same thing.  Does she giggle after every sentence when teaching the courses? When an EMT does a procedure correctly, does she make them 'high-five'?

2 hours ago, gunderda said:

I was also surprised that they brought the kids along but I've always heard that if you have a house for sale be prepared for people to go through closets and cabinets and other areas that you thought no one would want to look 

I agree when selling a home, people are going to look in closets, pantries, etc. But not have two kids run through your closet, grabbing at your clean clothing, messing up clothes on hangars, eating food in your home. 

• Love 13
On 10/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, Libby said:

In this episode it was clear that Will and Zoey are very aware of the camera. Will actually said "look guys" a couple of times. I think a lot of Will and Zoey's bad behavior is excitment because they are being watched and showing off for the camera. I have a feeling that they are calmer and better behaved when the crew isn't around. I hope so...

As attentive and loving as Bill and Jen are, they won't pull the plug on the show even though it is having a negative effect on their kids. I guess the money is worth the price to them. I think that they are making a big mistake. 

Will has been addressing the camera guys for a while now.  I remember last season he called out to them when he opened the space shuttle toy his grandparents gave him for Christmas, and a couple other times, but I can't recall the specific episodes.

• Love 2

During the episode where Bill and Jen go out for dinner to discuss the move to Florida, Will got mad and walked over placing his fist into the camera lens!  Not hard but purposeful.  He is definitely acting out for the cameras but he has no boundaries or limits on his behavior so I have to assume he is like that everyday.  It was telling when Jen said she and Bill had to talk and he asked if it was about his teachers....that must happen often!  He is willfull and expects to get his own way.  There were sooo many things those kids did that screamed for discipline I don’t know where to start!  I will bet the teaches watch the show and can hardly contain themselves!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 15

Zoe has sadly turned into a mini-Will. She is even more aggressive..she shoved Jen away from her several times. If Jen is away for work and speaking trips, I doubt the kids even see her all that often. They need to shut down the cameras now, and hire someone who knows how to discipline the kids before it is too late. It mght already have reached that point though I am thinking.

• Love 13
On 10/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, Barb23 said:

Why did Jenn & Bill even bother to look at the third mansion house when they knew they couldn't afford it? And brought the kids with them as well.  They could have looked at another house they could afford in that time.  I guess it was for TV.  

I was really annoyed by that.  They have become show-offs!  Why waste time for the viewers, homeowners, and agents if you can't afford the house!

This season Bill and Jen seem so entitled, and the kids are brats.  Enough said.  I'm out.

• Love 9

They indicated they wanted a water view.  Those lots are very expensive so folks usually build up so that more rooms have a water view.  A large ranch house might require two lots for the same water views.  In Florida, one story houses are common because of the elderly population and elevators are not uncommon in larger homes.  As for the kids, yes, they are immature in their behavior.  Will is seven and has been in school so he must have learned how to behave and what is appropriate language.  To accept this foolishness is because the parents don't want them to grow up.  What is cute at three is annoying at seven.  Bill is the fun parent but Jen needs to drop the professional pediatrician manner with her own kids.  It is a treat to see a real family with real children who are not just famous for being famous.  They also have great extended families and friends unlike so many of the 'reality' shows.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, alegtostandon said:

IMO, these 2 kids are being taught that they are the center of the home & everything revolves around them. There are no boundaries or consequences at all. Time out involves being allowed to go play.  It's going to get worse as they get older.

I was wondering the same thing.  Does she giggle after every sentence when teaching the courses? When an EMT does a procedure correctly, does she make them 'high-five'?

I agree when selling a home, people are going to look in closets, pantries, etc. But not have two kids run through your closet, grabbing at your clean clothing, messing up clothes on hangars, eating food in your home. 

Let's not forget them playing Hide & Seek in the owner's drapes & curtains.  I thought Zoe was going to pull the curtains down the way she was twisting in them.   I forgot about Jenn coaxing whatever child (?Will) out of the owner's clothes closet. Really, who allows their kids to act this way & then say things like "they need to burn off energy"  or "boys will be boys."  to cover up the kids bad behavior?  (Dont know if they've ever said "boys will be boys" in reference to Will but as the mother of a WELL behaved son,  I hate this line.)  Same thing with us in house hunting. He was about 4 when we were house shopping for our present home & even though he probably would have behaved fine, he didnt go. How are you supposed to thoroughly check out a house while dealing with a child or two?  At one point Jenn didnt have a clue where the kids were & made a comment about having to go look for them. I guess she figured that was what the film crew was for.

One thing that drives me nuts is that Will & Zoe are always running at home. No wonder they are constantly wound up. I realize their stature & short legs may play a part but the kids on other little people shows  walk. Then we have to hear Jenn beg them to stop running or slow down while they pay no attention to her. They could end up with some bad head injuries if they fell.  She should know better.  I'm sure they have to walk at school so why do Jenn & Bill let them constantly run amok?  I think the kids playing with the toys Bill brought them was one of the few times I've seen them quietly playing with a toy. 

Everyone has negative comments about Kendra Duggar's constant giggling.  I think Jenn is just as bad. 

I agree they would be fine showing a few specials during the year. Even Nye Nye is getting on my nerves.  Her burning the pancakes & letting the kids get so close to the steaming hot stove was an accident waiting to happen. I'm sure this wasn't the first time she's used their stove. Why did she make plate size pancakes for them?  Silver dollar size would have been much easier to cook & eat.  Those two pancakes should have been dumped in the trash.  Nothing appetizing about burnt M&M pancakes. Hope the kids refused to eat them. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5

Does their current Florida house have a decent-sized yard? I think part of the reason Will and Zoe are always bouncing off the walls is they have no real outdoor space to play. 

I know times are different now, but I'm 40 and as a kid we were outside 24/7 from a very young age. I grew up in a Boston suburb and it didn't matter if it was hot, cold, raining or with snow piled up to the street signs, we were never in the house. Just my two cents, but I don't really think you can burn off energy inside the way you do outdoors.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

I don't think the kids are taken out just to play very often.  Kids their age need plenty of running and climbing time or they can tear down a house rather quickly.  They need play equipment in the back or side yard or to be taken to a nearby park regularly.  

• Love 7

I truly think it's nice that they are a very loving family. However, I found it annoying when they kept telling us over and over and over. When Bill was on his trip, he must have told us 10 times that he loves his wife and kids and misses them. Does he think that makes him special? I'd say it makes him an average, nice, family man. Most men don't feel the need to tell the world over and over and over again though. Judy was the same. How many times did she have to tell us how hard Jen works? She had to tell us that Jen is a great doctor, a great mother, and a great wife. We get it Judy. You think your daughter is a rock star. Again, most average, nice mom's feel that way about their kids. They don't keep saying it to other people though. This family is really becoming vomit inducing.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, Libby said:

I truly think it's nice that they are a very loving family. However, I found it annoying when they kept telling us over and over and over. When Bill was on his trip, he must have told us 10 times that he loves his wife and kids and misses them. Does he think that makes him special? I'd say it makes him an average, nice, family man. Most men don't feel the need to tell the world over and over and over again though. Judy was the same. How many times did she have to tell us how hard Jen works? She had to tell us that Jen is a great doctor, a great mother, and a great wife. We get it Judy. You think your daughter is a rock star. Again, most average, nice mom's feel that way about their kids. They don't keep saying it to other people though. This family is really becoming vomit inducing.

This seems to be a TLC theme, and it is annoying. 

• Love 4
On 10/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, bichonblitz said:

In Florida 2 story houses are not common. Ranch style is what you will find here unless you are on canals, rivers, beaches. Then you will need to build up because of obvious flooding reasons.  I don't know why they had a 2 story in TX. 

Bill annoys me more than the kids do. And Jen with that laugh. 

My whole orlando neighborhood is mostly 2 stories

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

My whole orlando neighborhood is mostly 2 stories

I live in soutwest Fl. near the St. Pete area. It's mostly all one story, except again, waterfront property. I lived in Daytona Beach, too. One story there, too. Depends on the area I guess.   

I haven’t watched this show in a long while. I remember all of the expense they went to to build their custom home for their requirements. I wonder how easy it will be for them to resell a house that was built for little people.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, catalogrrr said:

I haven’t watched this show in a long while. I remember all of the expense they went to to build their custom home for their requirements. I wonder how easy it will be for them to resell a house that was built for little people.

They retrofitted their Texas house for regular-sized people.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They retrofitted their Texas house for regular-sized people.

Oh! Thanks for that info. That must have been quite an investment. I remember the effort they made to make everything work for them, right down to the height of the doorknobs. I guess they’ll do the same for the place they move into.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

That must have been quite an investment

It was more like an expense than an investment.  They overpriced the house initially and would never have sold the house more than likely if they hadn't redone most of the adjustments.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, ehall1052 said:

It made me so sad to see how completely indifferent Will & Zoey were when Jen came home from work,  but were over-the-top excited  when Bill came home from the convention. 

Yeah, that's been hard to watch since the beginning. I'm sure they love her and hopefully there's more bonding than what we see onscreen, but the fact remains that Bill is more of a natural with kids. Kids gravitate towards some adults more because of that.

I'm kind of the same as Jen. Awkward, never know quite what to say, and do better with older kids. I really hope that as time goes on, Will and Zoey appreciate her for who she is. I can see them starting to value her intelligence and stability later on. I bet she would give great advice about choosing colleges, for instance, or helping with school projects. But maybe that's a reason she lets them run around a lot  - she wants them to like her.

I'm sure it hurts and that if we, as viewers, have picked it up, undoubtedly Jen knows it too. It's probably too hard a subject to discuss on television. I remember a few years back, Katherine Heigl spoke about her adopted daughter bonding more with Katherine's husband, and that she (Katherine) had to fight for the daughter to accept her as mother. She eventually did accept her, but it was a hard transition. I thought it was such an incredibly brave thing to discuss.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I live in soutwest Fl. near the St. Pete area. It's mostly all one story, except again, waterfront property. I lived in Daytona Beach, too. One story there, too. Depends on the area I guess.   

i think it may be because Orlando does have a lower amount of seniors than coastal areas

1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I'm kind of the same as Jen. Awkward, never know quite what to say, and do better with older kids. I really hope that as time goes on, Will and Zoey appreciate her for who she is. 

I'm the same way with kids. I don't dislike them, but I'm not really comfortable around them either. I've always thought Jen was going to be the type of mother who's better suited to older children, while goofy, laid-back Bill would appeal more to toddlers/elementary-aged children.

• Love 3

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who watched this episode and felt exhausted after. Sorry, those two children behave badly. They don't have respect for anyone or anything around them; certainly not for other peoples' property. When they went to see that house for sale, the running around, touching things, eating food on the counter was just way out of line for me. Although Jen is a gifted doctor and an amazing person in her own right, she just isn't mother material. She is uncomfortable around those two kids and doesn't have a clue about how to be a parent, which INCLUDES proper discipline and boundaries for those kids. Bill is just a big kid and caves just as much as Jen does with them.

Will is going to be a handful in 7 years. He may bring them a lot of grief during 'those years'. Zoe, although a bit quieter than Will, seems that she will completely ignore her parents direction when she's a teenager and do her own thing as she does now. They really need to step up and take control over their children and their home lives with them NOW.

Jen usually seems overwhelmed with them.

• Love 12

The emperor has no clothes....

If Jen and Bill continue to go wear their Massive Denial goggles then Will's and Zoe's behavior will continue to deteriorate until a grandparent, aunt, uncle, family friend can be honest and tell them like it is... and it is ugly and time for intervention.

If Will has emotional or learning delays then that needs to be addressed honestly instead of brushing it aside with giggling rationale...

Zoey knows something is up with Will.

Zoey is  very articulate and able to control her impulses... Will's temperament and behaviors are nothing to laugh or ignore...stop filming and get him some help

The move to Florida is better for the all 4 ...grandparents and family are closer to see Will and Zoey up close and personal and maybe something can be said to help Jen and Bill see that their kids need intervention.

Long time fan so want the best for the family...especially the children.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 5

What happened to this family? This used to be my go to happy show. Will used to be a likable kid. I think they needed to have a talk to them before they went into these houses about what behaviors were expected before they went inside. Kids have to know that you mean what you say and if you say that somethings going to happen if they disobey there has to be some follow through. I think they give there children a lot of empty threats and don't follow through with discipline. I think that Bill and Jen went through a lot of rejection and teasing growing up (especially Bill) I wonder if they think that if they try to not give Will and Zoey there way that they won't "like them" and if they think that if they discipline them on camera then people won't like them. I just hope they get there behavior under control before its too late. I will say that there is a lot of love in that house! 

I truly believe that if Jen and Bill ever got a divorce that Love is dead! 

• Love 6

TLC wants Will and Zoey on camera.

Will knows that if he misbehaves with the cameras rolling he won't get disciplined and he can bully and bulldoze his way through Jen and Bill.

Not his best behavior documented forever...which is not fair to Will.

• Love 2

I read an article about how the show is scripted and about the things they did not film.   For example, this article talked about how their second book told about it taking Zoey months to come around when they first took her home from India. 

If the show is scripted, I do not understand how the parents are willing to let the children be portrayed the way they are being portrayed.  Will taking cashews out of that jar, going through people’s closets and running amok through other people’s houses, shows a total lack of manners. Both Bill and Jen are responsible, intelligent people.   So, if the children do not act in this manner normally, why would the parents allow them to be filmed showing behavior that they are told to exhibit rather than behavior that they would naturally exhibit when such scripted behavior is unflattering and unacceptable?

Edited by Kid
  • Love 7
On 10/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, JerseyGirl said:

I was really annoyed by that. 

Me too! Rude and disrespectful to the home owners. Having Will stick his grubby hands in the nut jar- not cool. He is becoming a bully and what was cute at 3 and 4 years old is now unacceptable at 7.

He will soon shove Jen so hard she will fall.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, ellenr33 said:

Kids have to know that you mean what you say and if you say that somethings going to happen if they disobey there has to be some follow through. I think they give the children a lot of empty threats and don't follow through with discipline. I wonder if they think that if they try to not give Will and Zoey their way that they won't "like them"

I agree with you and have felt this way for quite a while.  First, there must be consequences for disobeying their parents.  In every well behaved child, there is a little 'fear' of what could happen (grounding, sent to your room, no TV, etc) if you act up. Maybe it could just be the fear of disappointing your parents with unacceptable behavior.  But with Bill and Jen, they make threats or count to three or say please or something, but it does not amount to a hill of beans as far as any kind of actual punishment for the kids.  If I was Will or Zoey and was very strong minded, I would not go along with what the parents want if it was something I did not want to do.  All I would get would be a few words from Jen or a snicker and chuckle from Bill.  No  problem for either kid with dealing with that kind of non-action. 

I have also felt that they definitely do not use much strong discipline or words because they fear if they do the kids 'won't like them'.  I think that is pretty obvious.  Bill wants to be their friend more than their father.  That attitude show itself over and over as he laughs and makes excuses instead of showing a little strength when they act badly.  And poor Jen just seems so uncomfortable with the children in general.  Jen must notice that the kids are rather indifferent to her and could feel that if she was the strong disciplinarian, they would like her even less than they do now.  Mothering and parenting just does not seem to come easily to her.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, freeser said:

And poor Jen just seems so uncomfortable with the children in general.  Jen must notice that the kids are rather indifferent to her and could feel that if she was the strong disciplinarian, they would like her even less than they do now.  Mothering and parenting just does not seem to come easily to her.  

I don't think Jen is all that hands-on with Will and Zoe when the cameras stop rolling. I don't mean that in the sense that she doesn't care, but rather that she has a lot of professional demands and probably isn't around all that much. The reason I say this is because it seems like the show tries to set up scenes of Jen interacting with the kids, but it's so awkward and uncomfortable. She comes home, the kids ignore her. She tries to engage Will at dinner, he's combative. She tries to get them ready for bed, but Nai Nai is in the background overseeing everything. It doesn't seem like she ever spends alone time with them, without Bill, the cameras or Kate backing her up. 

• Love 7
On 10/15/2018 at 12:19 PM, Kid said:

I watched the first two episodes and those kids seem much more bonded to their father than they do their mother. 

Well, Bill’s been more of a stay at home parent than Jen. I think I remember she even voiced concerns Will would bond more with Bill, in early episodes after they brought him to Houston from China, because Jen’s job was so demanding (& I can’t remember how much time off she took for bonding once he was home). But when they got Zoey, it took her longer to bond with everyone (I think), especially since Jen was sick right after; but she really wanted nothing to do with Bill at all, especially when Jen had to leave India when she got sick & Bill was left (with Kate & Will) to take care of getting all the immigration/citizenship paperwork, exams, & other requirements taken care of so Zoey could enter the country.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comment and punctuation.
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, Bill’s been more of a stay at home parent than Jen. I think I remember she even voiced concerns Will would bond more with Bill, in early episodes after they brought him to Houston from China, because Jen’s job was so demanding (& I can’t remember how much time off she took for bonding once he was home). But when they got Zoey, it took her longer to bond with everyone (I think), especially since Jen was sick right after; but she really wanted nothing to do with Bill at all, especially when Jen had to leave India when she got sick & Bill was left (with Kate & Will) to take care of getting all the immigration/citizenship paperwork, exams, & other requirements taken care of so Zoey could enter the country.

Jen and Bill have their faults like everyone else, but they really have been through a lot in their lives, and are very successful and don't seem to do self-pity.  There's a stark contrast to me between them and the Busbys.  Can you imagine Adam trying to deal with what Jen went through?

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 9
On 10/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

I love 7 Little Johnston’s and looking forward to their return. One thing I’ve always liked about several LP families on TLC is they don’t accommodate their house because they’re little. They want the kids to get used to average height stuff like counters because that’s how the world is built. Then I go to hearing Bill bragging “we need an elevator, small counters, etc.) and it just gave me the ughs. 

Another reason I haven’t enjoyed this show the last season or two is Jens favoritism of Zoey. They make sure Zoey is the princess of their world. She is not going to handle criticism as she matures, thinking she’s just as perfect as her parents have told her she is. I feel bad for the girl. 

Yes, disabled people, like myself, need to get used to living in a "normal" world, but in your own home, if you have a physical issue, there is no reason not to accommodate it if you can. I don't cook much because I am short and walk on crutches - about 4'10" and when I cook at the stove, my face is just inches from the pan. If I could afford it, I would redo my kitchen to have lower counters and lower cooktop to make it easier for me. I also have to live in a ranch style house. If I lived in a two story house, I'd want an elevator also. There is a limit to what disabled people can do and put up with on a daily basis. If someone has the money to make their house suit their needs, go for it. I would in a heartbeat because it would make things so much easier on me physically. I would put in all drawers and no upper cupboards because beyond the bottom shelf, I can't reach any higher, and getting on a chair or step stool is really dangerous for me. I have had the upper cupboards lowered a couple of inches, but it still isn't enough to really use them. I guess unless you have these issues, you can't fully understand the need to make things easier.

Edited by Mollysmom
clarification
  • Love 18
On 10/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah, that's been hard to watch since the beginning. I'm sure they love her and hopefully there's more bonding than what we see onscreen, but the fact remains that Bill is more of a natural with kids. Kids gravitate towards some adults more because of that.

I'm kind of the same as Jen. Awkward, never know quite what to say, and do better with older kids. I really hope that as time goes on, Will and Zoey appreciate her for who she is. I can see them starting to value her intelligence and stability later on. I bet she would give great advice about choosing colleges, for instance, or helping with school projects. But maybe that's a reason she lets them run around a lot  - she wants them to like her.

I'm sure it hurts and that if we, as viewers, have picked it up, undoubtedly Jen knows it too. It's probably too hard a subject to discuss on television. I remember a few years back, Katherine Heigl spoke about her adopted daughter bonding more with Katherine's husband, and that she (Katherine) had to fight for the daughter to accept her as mother. She eventually did accept her, but it was a hard transition. I thought it was such an incredibly brave thing to discuss.

EarlGreyTea, your thoughtful words really brought insight. 

• Love 3

I couldn't believe it when Zoey was using her "potty language" at the table and they just had her leave the table to go play.  She should have been put in time out and talked to about what is and is not appropriate.  And I'm willing to bet that if she wanted a snack half an hour later she got it.

I'm with everyone else who thinks they should look at single story houses.  It may not be right on the water, but sometimes you have to do what's best for your family rather than have the status symbol.

Wouldn't you love to know what Will and Zoey are like in school?

• Love 7

I think that Zoey is average for her age. She's very spoiled, but where she should be developmentally. Her only problem is that her parents either don't know how to or don't want to apply discipline.

Will on the other hand, on top of being very spoiled, seems to be delayed to me.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

I love 7 Little Johnston’s and looking forward to their return. One thing I’ve always liked about several LP families on TLC is they don’t accommodate their house because they’re little. They want the kids to get used to average height stuff like counters because that’s how the world is built. <snip>

I'm short-statured and use a wheelchair for mobility. My parents likewise wanted me to learn to adapt to my environment, because it wasn't likely the world would be able/willing to adapt to me. However, there is a downside to not making any adaptations to accommodate your disability in your home.

Because I worked for 22 years full-time despite my disability, my SSDI income is too high to qualify me for Medicaid; I receive Medicare. Medicaid pays for home adaptation; Medicare does not.

I've never been able to afford to buy, so I've always rented. In the house in which I'm currently living, the only "adaptation" is a wooden ramp leading from my walkway to my front door (2 steps). It cost me 1400.00. No adaptations to my kitchen (and the counters are level with my shoulders).

Can I make meals, take showers, etc.? Yes. But it's really hard and puts an enormous stress on my body. I am now a chronic pain patient (in addition to all my other medical issues), which I know can be attributed to, in large part, my having to adapt to my environment all day, every day - in my own home - ever since I began living independently at the age of 20.

So, at the very least, I think it's important for people with disabilities to be able to adapt their homes whenever possible to avoid the kinds of medical issues that may arise from the stress put on their bodies that may occur if they're forced to adapt to their environment *every day* just to complete the tasks of daily living. I wish I could do so, because it's getting harder and harder for me just to do the simple things now. (If you rent, you can make adaptations, BUT you have to remove those adaptations and put everything back the way it was if and when you move. Medicaid pays for that, too).

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Mollysmom said:

Jen and Bill need to learn to use a more authoritative tone. Asking "please" don't do something ,or "please stop doing" something is ridiculous. <snip>

I always said "please" and "thank you" with my daughter, but HOW you say it matters. If I needed my daughter to do something, I'd say "I need you to put away your toys and get ready for bed now, please" - in a friendly, but firm, voice. If she began doing what I asked, I'd say "Thank you!"  If she didn't respond, or comply, fairly quickly, I'd say "Savannah, I need you to put away your toys and get ready for bed NOW" much more firmly. If a third request was needed...well, there wouldn't BE a third request. Consequences were immediately imposed. She knew this.

I wanted to teach my daughter to use the words "please" and "thank you." But I didn't think I could do that effectively unless I modeled that behavior by using those words myself.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:40 AM, Ina123 said:

First of all, my parents would never have taken me looking at houses at that age. <snip>

Yes - this really confused me (but I see it on House Hunters a lot).

I was four years old, and my sister and brother were age 15 and 19 respectively, when our family moved. My parents didn't take any of us house hunting. Had either my sister or brother questioned this, my father would have said "When you're an adult and are making enough money to buy a house, you can choose any house you like and can afford. But *we* are paying for this house, so you don't get a vote." But I know neither my brother or sister said anything, because in our family there was a *clear* line between parents and children, as in "We're the parents, WE pay for everything, therefore WE make the decisions. When you're an adult and pay for something, you'll make the decision." This philosophy covered everything our parents paid for; our clothes, furniture, food, vacations - you name it. It wasn't a democracy.

When we moved into our new house, there was none of this "choose your bedroom" stuff, either. My parents told us which bedroom was to be each of ours. If any of us had dared complain about the bedroom we were assigned, my father probably would have said "If you don't like it, you're welcome to find another place to live." (Or maybe he would have offered a cot in the basement, strategically wedged between the washer & dryer and furnace, as an alternative).

One of the things that really bugs me is the way both Bill and Jen seem to finish every sentence in which they're telling the kids about something they're going to do with "Okay?" As in, "So next week we're gonna look at houses. Okay?" They do this ALL THE TIME. What happens when one of the kids responds "No. Not okay!" When something has to be done, you NEVER ask a child if it's "okay" to do it. Because when they inevitably respond with a "No", what do you do then? You've just given what appears to THEM, a choice. But it isn't really a choice, is it? So only give the kids a choice when they DO have a choice.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Thought of something else!
  • Love 17
On 10/22/2018 at 9:14 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm short-statured and use a wheelchair for mobility. My parents likewise wanted me to learn to adapt to my environment, because it wasn't likely the world would be able/willing to adapt to me. However, there is a downside to not making any adaptations to accommodate your disability in your home.

Because I worked for 22 years full-time despite my disability, my SSDI income is too high to qualify me for Medicaid; I receive Medicare. Medicaid pays for home adaptation; Medicare does not.

I've never been able to afford to buy, so I've always rented. In the house in which I'm currently living, the only "adaptation" is a wooden ramp leading from my walkway to my front door (2 steps). It cost me 1400.00. No adaptations to my kitchen (and the counters are level with my shoulders).

Can I make meals, take showers, etc.? Yes. But it's really hard and puts an enormous stress on my body. I am now a chronic pain patient (in addition to all my other medical issues), which I know can be attributed to, in large part, my having to adapt to my environment all day, every day - in my own home - ever since I began living independently at the age of 20.

So, at the very least, I think it's important for people with disabilities to be able to adapt their homes whenever possible to avoid the kinds of medical issues that may arise from the stress put on their bodies that may occur if they're forced to adapt to their environment *every day* just to complete the tasks of daily living. I wish I could do so, because it's getting harder and harder for me just to do the simple things now. (If you rent, you can make adaptations, BUT you have to remove those adaptations and put everything back the way it was if and when you move. Medicaid pays for that, too).

I always said "please" and "thank you" with my daughter, but HOW you say it matters. If I needed my daughter to do something, I'd say "I need you to put away your toys and get ready for bed now, please" - in a friendly, but firm, voice. If she began doing what I asked, I'd say "Thank you!"  If she didn't respond, or comply, fairly quickly, I'd say "Savannah, I need you to put away your toys and get ready for bed NOW" much more firmly. If a third request was needed...well, there wouldn't BE a third request. Consequences were immediately imposed. She knew this.

I wanted to teach my daughter to use the words "please" and "thank you." But I didn't think I could do that effectively unless I modeled that behavior by using those words myself.

Yes - this really confused me (but I see it on House Hunters a lot).

I was four years old, and my sister and brother were age 15 and 19 respectively, when our family moved. My parents didn't take any of us house hunting. Had either my sister or brother questioned this, my father would have said "When you're an adult and are making enough money to buy a house, you can choose any house you like and can afford. But *we* are paying for this house, so you don't get a vote." But I know neither my brother or sister said anything, because in our family there was a *clear* line between parents and children, as in "We're the parents, WE pay for everything, therefore WE make the decisions. When you're an adult and pay for something, you'll make the decision." This philosophy covered everything our parents paid for; our clothes, furniture, food, vacations - you name it. It wasn't a democracy.

When we moved into our new house, there was none of this "choose your bedroom" stuff, either. My parents told us which bedroom was to be each of ours. If any of us had dared complain about the bedroom we were assigned, my father probably would have said "If you don't like it, you're welcome to find another place to live." (Or maybe he would have offered a cot in the basement, strategically wedged between the washer & dryer and furnace, as an alte

I think this is just a different style of parenting. When my Mom wanted us to move to a bigger, newer house, she used to go looking when my Dad was at work and we were in school, but on the weekends we would go as a family to look at the homes she liked. I was 6 and my brother was 8. They certainly wouldn't have left us home alone! I even remember going to the Dime Savings Bank in Brooklyn (cobblestone streets!) on January 11, 1956 when they signed the final papers. We went everywhere as a family. Sometimes we might have said or done something wrong and we would get "the look" but it didn't stop our family outings to banks, model homes or even just the supermarket. Different strokes  for different folks!

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, CousinAmy said:

I think this is just a different style of parenting. When my Mom wanted us to move to a bigger, newer house, she used to go looking when my Dad was at work and we were in school, but on the weekends we would go as a family to look at the homes she liked. I was 6 and my brother was 8. They certainly wouldn't have left us home alone! I even remember going to the Dime Savings Bank in Brooklyn (cobblestone streets!) on January 11, 1956 when they signed the final papers. We went everywhere as a family. Sometimes we might have said or done something wrong and we would get "the look" but it didn't stop our family outings to banks, model homes or even just the supermarket. Different strokes  for different folks!

If you don’t have children experience different situations, and enforce good behavior, you’ll have children who have no clue how to act in certain situations.

Dime Savings Bank is a flashback! I grew up in Staten Island!

• Love 4

I used to really like watching this family. I don't know..this season, I am growing weary of just what a snob Jen is.  I guess I never noticed it before..but ever since they started this househunting/moving thing....

I mean, she *used* to seem like a regular person you could relate to. Now...not so much.

And talking to your kids as if they are your 40-something co-workers....that just doesn't cut it.

• Love 6
On 10/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, Libby said:

I think that Zoey is average for her age. She's very spoiled, but where she should be developmentally. Her only problem is that her parents either don't know how to or don't want to apply discipline.

Will on the other hand, on top of being very spoiled, seems to be delayed to me.

I agree, Will's behavior seems more like that of a 4 or 5 year old.  I thought it was just me, and didn't want to appear to be calling the kid out.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, BitterApple said:

I don't think Jen is all that hands-on with Will and Zoe when the cameras stop rolling. I don't mean that in the sense that she doesn't care, but rather that she has a lot of professional demands and probably isn't around all that much. The reason I say this is because it seems like the show tries to set up scenes of Jen interacting with the kids, but it's so awkward and uncomfortable. She comes home, the kids ignore her. She tries to engage Will at dinner, he's combative. She tries to get them ready for bed, but Nai Nai is in the background overseeing everything. It doesn't seem like she ever spends alone time with them, without Bill, the cameras or Kate backing her up. 

I don't think Jen *knows* how to be a parent to small kids. She seems very awkward around them.  Bill, on the other hand, is just like another kid.

• Love 3
On 10/9/2018 at 8:57 PM, Calibabydolly said:

Do you think the kids are over being filmed? I know the production team must be coaxing this behavior so we have something worth filming but I often wonder if the kid use the words they do, so they will be dismissed from their dog and pony show or "job". I don't recall Will or Zoey ever saying poopy or farts this much.....and especially at the table! These kids are pretty smart and I think they are not just "being kids"?

I know that both Will and Zoey like to sit in overstuffed chairs eating apples as big as their heads.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, winsomeone said:

Zoe has sadly turned into a mini-Will. She is even more aggressive..she shoved Jen away from her several times. If Jen is away for work and speaking trips, I doubt the kids even see her all that often. They need to shut down the cameras now, and hire someone who knows how to discipline the kids before it is too late. It mght already have reached that point though I am thinking.

I thought I saw Zoe smack Will last night. I could be wrong.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, Mollysmom said:

Jen and Bill need to learn to use a more authoritative tone. Asking "please" don't do something ,or "please stop doing" something is ridiculous. 

I'm physically disabled and babysat from the time I was 12 years old. I never had a problem with kids obeying me because I spoke authoritatively and commanded respect. I had to because I had to control the kids with my words since I couldn't pick them up and carry them. 

I know that every positive parenting video, or book, always stresses to never end a command with "Okay?" or "Right?". By attaching either of those words, you undermine your entire command by implying the kids have a choice. Big difference between, "Zoey, time for bed, okay?" or "Zoey, time for bed".

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I wonder if Jen will have to entertain as part of her new job?

What kind of entertaining would a doctor with an advanced degree and high position in a hospital have to do? Would you ask this about a male doctor?