Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03 Katie Girls

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  He needs to go back to that job he liked and was good at before he talked himself out of it.  You know, the one with the corner office and nice views!

I'm wondering if Randall's career as a weather tracker is going to be like Kate's job as a PA, something promising that was dropped without another word.  And it would make sense if Randall had been unhappy.  But he hated the firm, not the job.  Why didn't he apply elsewhere or strike out on his own?  That whole year was strange.  It's like that house was on pause after William died.  The only topic was fostering/adoption and Randall wouldn't hear anything else.

5 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Were Jack and Rebecca rinsing the dishes before they dried them?

I did Rebecca drying a plate that still had suds on it.  I think the rest were rinsed off.  Maybe she and Jack were too caught up in each other to notice, lol.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, they surprisingly had Kevin's movie premiere happen pretty much in the timeframe that most movies would be filmed and come out, so I do have some hope that the timeline of the campaign will work out. 

Really, though, the people who write, direct and produce television shows are going to know a lot more about how movies are made then they do how elections are run.  

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know if they would take him back.  He made quite the dramatic exit.  And, even before that time, the job was probably in jeopardy because he backed off from his 16 hour days, or whatever ridiculous amount he said he was working.  I think he can find a good steady job doing something, though.  That's probably the only weather investment place (I have no ide ahwat he did) in town.  But, he's really smart, and this is the age a lot of people change careers.  He just needs to pick something and do it.

I suspect that Randall made so much money during his time in the firm that he and Beth could coast for a while and still be able to pay for their daughters' college educations. In any case people in that kind of investment/finance position do tend to be more and more sidelined as they get older by younger people (we saw that start to happen before he left) and he may have moved on regardless of the events that brought on his break with the firm.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Can we talk about Randall's magic plane that got him back and forth across country in a day? (Not sure it really was a day, but it seemed like it to me.)  Randall hops on a plane and in seconds he's with his sister!  What? Something happened in Philly? Hold on, I'll be right there.  Does he have that many miles left after all these plane trips?

Well, we know Randall decided to fly out to see Kate when it was the night before her surgery. So he could have booked a red eye to an early morning flight to get to Kate's appointment, as we don't know what time of day her appointment was. We know he was late getting to Kate's appointment. And then he left pretty much right after Kate woke up from surgery.

I decided to look up flights from Philly to LA for research. So, let's say he caught a 6:30 flight from Philly. He would have arrived in LA at 9:30am the earliest, if he took a direct flight, since the flight is roughly 5 and a half hours. 

The bigger issue is him getting from LA to Philly if we're to assume he got home that night. We do know that he left a couple of hours at least after Kate's surgery, and since we know Randall takes after Jack and can get pretty much anything he wants with a big Pearson speech, he probably did get on the first available flight, but even the first available flight, he wouldn't have gotten back to Philly until at least midnight, but likely later. 

The only way it works out is if he had a 6am flight, landed in LA at 9:30, Kate's surgery started at 9'ish, Randall got to the hospital at 10'ish, Kate woke up an hour later, and then Randall made it back to LAX for a 1pm flight, all to get him to the hospital where Deja's new friend is, for him to have a chat with the mother, and make it home to Beth to talk about his day. And even that sounds ridiculous and impossible. 

• Love 14

Eye roll.  Randall is going to run for office.  In a different district, no less a state, in which he lives.  I guess he's either stupid or he's going to move his wife and children to a different state and they're going to live a whole different lifestyle than upper middle/rich lifestyle from Alpine, NJ.  Maybe that why there's some problems that happen in the flash forward.

Funny about drying the dishes.  What stood out to me the most was that Becca was drying the dishes and putting them in the dish dryer.  I think you can stack them at that point.  Just sayin.....

Hey, Randall going to LA and back in a day is no big deal on this show.  Heck.  If you can get to Pittsburgh or to Philly in an hour......from Alpine or whatever.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 12
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And whatever he picks he just has to stick with it.

I agree - and I almost said exactly that -that he needs to stick with what he does choose.  But what stopped me was (and I was speaking of not only career but interests and hobbies as well) - I hope I'm correct in assuming he does stick to his decision to adopt a child*.  That's just something Randall doesn't get to be all-over-the-place about.

*Thankfully, we didn't see any Deja stuff in this episode.  I'm not on the Deja bandwagon (if there is one).  But I do fear that any Tess and Annie we see will be tied to everything Deja and I am hoping not. 

• Love 6

Its super weird that the show I watch before this, The Flash, is starting an arc that also has a grown daughter who idealizes her father who died when she was young, to the point that she has a troubled relationship with her mother who was alive her whole life and raised her. Of course, being a superhero show, it has significantly more time travel, but its still kind of a funny theme for my Tuesday nights. 

Although for a second, when I saw Beth and William at the table, I wondered if this was a flashback, or if Beth was imagining seeing William after being laid off. Hey, if Kate can have a vision quest with her past selves and her dead dad, anything could be possible!

• Love 5

I think if anyone runs for office, it will be Beth. She has the expertise in the field, the political talent and the charisma. And the time is right in the real world. Or maybe Philly needs a hungry city planner with a big stake in the North Side. 

Meanwhile, Randall needs to understand that there is more than one way to do Jack proud. Support your wife as she finds her way. You're married now, and it's not a solo sport. As Crash Davis would say, don't try to strike everybody out; throw some ground balls. Trust your teammate, and let her play the game. 

• Love 21
54 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

Yes! That really stuck out for me. Why not have something to say to youngest Kate, who has the most time to live through and the most potential to change? Especially considering that Kate wants so much to be a mother from the very beginning of a child's life.

I’m just guessing she did have something to say to youngest Kate that just got cut out of the show because they just had to have William and young Rebecca/Jack. Honestly, the three Kates were interesting enough to merit a few more minutes and maybe cut back a little elsewhere in the episode. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

I was completely underwhelmed by the three Kates and Jack dream sequence.  What was the point of that?  To show us that even in dreams, Jack encourages his daughter to make unhealthy food choices?  

I've decided not to worry about the details of how Randall is going to run for office in a state he doesn't live in because the show won't.  It's just one of those thing that viewers aren't supposed to question.  Kinda like what Kate does for money these days.  

My problem with the Rebecca/Jack flashbacks they're giving us this season is the more they show us about their dating life, the more ridiculous their love story becomes.  So now they're going to move to LA together (or at least go on an extended roadtrip) after going on one date?  That's just dumb.  And with what money are they funding this trip?  Jack didn't even have enough money to take Rebecca to a carnival and now he can just up and go to LA?  

I am interested in Kevin's storyline this season with him researching Jack's past and going to Vietnam.  I'm sure his relationship with Zoe will crash and burn since she's obviously only interested in him for her career purposes but whatever, as others have said, Kevin's far more interesting when he's single.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 24

*whew*   Bounce-back!!  I don't even care that I was cheaply bought with the Jack & his Katie-girls scene.

But I mostly loved Kate's "...such a Dad Thing to do!!" to Randall.  I boohoo'd all over that moment.  IIRC, somewhere on a last year ep thread, I said I adored those two together, and wanted more.  

So thanks, Santa.

• Love 7

Anyone else feel like the last two eps have slowly been dropping hints that Beth is having an affair?

I feel like they're setting this up to make sense, considering how outside his own nuclear family Randall is putting himself to invest the new member, Deja.

And let me not get started on what an utterly self-absorbed, insensitive, moral high ground-staking, god-complexed ass this character has morphed into. He is actively sewing discord with his siblings. Those statements to Kate at Kevin's premiere were unforgivable.

Help us all if someone has made me feel sorry for Kate.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 6

Rebecca walking, most likely with conviction, from the home ec class to the shop class.  That was cool.  Wish they had shown us that - and a guy passing her in the hall, also walking with conviction, from the shop class to the home ec class.  But that was the 70's.  Baby steps.  But it was cool that she did that.  It wasn't that she had a talent for either one - she just didn't want to become her mother.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, we know Randall decided to fly out to see Kate when it was the night before her surgery. So he could have booked a red eye to an early morning flight to get to Kate's appointment, as we don't know what time of day her appointment was. We know he was late getting to Kate's appointment. And then he left pretty much right after Kate woke up from surgery.

I decided to look up flights from Philly to LA for research. So, let's say he caught a 6:30 flight from Philly. He would have arrived in LA at 9:30am the earliest, if he took a direct flight, since the flight is roughly 5 and a half hours. 

The bigger issue is him getting from LA to Philly if we're to assume he got home that night. We do know that he left a couple of hours at least after Kate's surgery, and since we know Randall takes after Jack and can get pretty much anything he wants with a big Pearson speech, he probably did get on the first available flight, but even the first available flight, he wouldn't have gotten back to Philly until at least midnight, but likely later. 

The only way it works out is if he had a 6am flight, landed in LA at 9:30, Kate's surgery started at 9'ish, Randall got to the hospital at 10'ish, Kate woke up an hour later, and then Randall made it back to LAX for a 1pm flight, all to get him to the hospital where Deja's new friend is, for him to have a chat with the mother, and make it home to Beth to talk about his day. And even that sounds ridiculous and impossible. 

Why Philly though? If Randall does indeed live in Alpine, NJ as others have stated, he'd probably fly out of Newark.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Anyone else feel like the last two eps have slowly been dropping hints that Beth is having an affair?

Not at all. What gives you that impression? When and with whom would she be having an affair?

• Love 24
55 minutes ago, jmonique said:

Yeah, I was going to ask, did unemployed Randall really just abandon his wife and three kids to jump on a plane, travel across the ENTIRE country, finally apologize to the sister his self-centered ass wanted to apologize to, then BAIL on Kate and Toby to go play Superman to more strays and complete strangers?

DID I REALLY JUST WATCH THAT?

I know that Randall goes all-in on things, but why would he be called about the girl being robbed and in the hospital with a broken arm? 

• Love 15

I don't think that high school Rebecca would have been dressed in those clothes.  If she was 30 when the babies were born in 1980, she would have been born in 1950, and in high school in the mid to late 60's.  That outfit looked straight out of the 50's to me. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Of course Randall has to try to save everyone and deal with their problems and not his own. Ugh at him running for Councilman. (Can he do that? He lives in NJ, not PA) I feel bad for Beth and love that she and Miguel text each other and vent about being in the Pearson vortex.

Enjoying the Kevin stuff. 

Kate is still annoying. I think her trying to have a baby at her weight is plain stupid and irresponsible. I can't help but love the stuff with Jack, though. Father/daughter moments get to me. 

Randall could just get some official mail sent to his apartment building to establish residency.

However, in Philly, you must be a resident for a year to qualify - https://www.philadelphiavotes.com/en/candidates-a-campaigns/requirements-for-office

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jmonique said:

Yeah, I was going to ask, did unemployed Randall really just abandon his wife and three kids to jump on a plane, travel across the ENTIRE country, finally apologize to the sister his self-centered ass wanted to apologize to, then BAIL on Kate and Toby to go play Superman to more strays and complete strangers?

DID I REALLY JUST WATCH THAT?

Why did he give them his number?? He doesn't know them. I thought that was Beth calling because she lost her job. I was blown away it was the single Mom. The single Mom doesn't have anyone else to call except Randall? 

Sometimes I wonder if Beth will reach her breaking point with Randall. 

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Randall could just get some official mail sent to his apartment building to establish residency.

That’s election fraud and is being called out more and more and would specifically be an issue since he is already going to be called out as a newcomer who doesn’t know the city issues.

• Love 7

I agree with most of what was said. I stayed up instead of watching it today so I was tired, but I kept getting really annoyed at that horrible mustache. It looked taped on. ; p    There was also no chemistry with the two of them and I felt the part with the parents was just not believable. (she needed his mom's permission to leave him?)  I also felt a little sad that Rebecca said to his mother, she didn't want the typical life, waiting on her husband, etc and that's what she got. Of course it was "Super Jack" but still, her needs were never first. I hope with MIguel she has fun, has hobbies, they visit places with no thought of children, she matured.  Sacrifice is one thing, but total loss of self is not.

I also rolled eyes at plane trip, come on, who really does this? He's going to need that money, as Toby said, I hope he had points.

I thought the dream was ok, the ice cream, not so much. Why bring back the way he spoiled her and went against Rebecca, but it wasn't heaven, it was her dream and she likes ice cream. ; )

I don't know what happens with Jack's mom but that type of guy rarely lets a woman just leave, but time will tell. She wasn't a main character.

I just watched a wonderful movie on Netflix, Private Life, wonderfully done, about infertility, but you realize 8 eggs is nice but no guarantee for sure. But this is TV, so I see a baby that is very premature.

I want to see more post fire and less of how Jack and Rebecca met, doesn't really matter who she jilted or fairs, etc. I'd love to see more how they coped and more of the kids as children. I see pictures online that I don't remember seeing of the kids as toddlers but maybe as they show the wedding of Jack and Rebecca, we'll go through to the beginning of the show.

Wish I was more interested in Vietnam, I hope they do it well, I like how Kevin is starting to piece those parts together.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Why did he give them his number?? He doesn't know them. I thought that was Beth calling because she lost her job. I was blown away it was the single Mom. The single Mom doesn't have anyone else to call except Randall? 

Sometimes I wonder if Beth will reach her breaking point with Randall. 

It was Deja that called.  Why Deja wasn't in school in NJ when this happened?  Whole other question but it was certainly Deja who called.

• Love 12

While I understand that Randall's feelings were hurt about what Kate said, I was on her side in their argument. We each get to make our own choices, no matter how risky they are. If Kate wants to undergo IVF, that's her choice, just like if Randall wants to quit his job and then buy a building, that's his choice. Even when the people we love do things that we think are stupid or even potentially dangerous, it's not up to us to dictate how other people live their lives. Unless the other person is breaking the law or mentally incompetent, there is nothing for you to do about it.

What really got me was that he was so offended that she didn't consider adoption as her first choice. Again, NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE. And as Kate pointed out, adoption wasn't Randall's first choice either so he was in no position to judge her for that. Adoption can be a very lengthy (and expensive) process so if you're going to sink a lot of money into trying to get a kid, I can understand why some people would try IVF first. Yes, there is a health risk for Kate with IVF, but again, people make less than safe choices all the time. If you want to jump out of an airplane or ride a motorcycle instead of a car, your family can bitch and moan all they want but they can't actually stop you from doing it. I think the Pearsons need to get over their belief that other people need their permission to do stuff.

But hey, points to the Pearsons for waiting until the movie ended to have a big fight! Baby steps, people.

I was initially on the fence with Alan. He seemed like a nice person who genuinely liked Rebecca because she chose to take woodshop instead of home ec, and I liked that. But when he freaked out about her possibly going to Los Angeles, I was like nope, I'm done with you, Alan. Alan's mom was awesome though (hee, does this mean that Malcolm in the Middle is Alan's brother?).

I continue to love Beth. I loved that she checked to see if Randall had spoken to Kate and then she specifically asked if he had apologized and pointed out that he overstepped in this situation and that he has trouble apologizing to his siblings. I also love that she, Miguel, and Toby (what was the name they came up with at the bar?) are still in touch on their own as the non-Big Three.

I really liked the conversation that Randall and Toby were having too. It's not often that we get to see men openly discussing their depression.

I totally support Kevin wanting to learn more about Jack's time in Vietnam. There are some people who have a moment where they realize that they want to know more about their family tree and it usually doesn't happen until adulthood so I hope Kevin doesn't beat himself up too much about not asking Jack more questions when he was younger. I want to believe that Zoe is truly being supportive of Kevin's quest because it's important to him, but I suspect that she is only interested because she thinks that she can make a documentary about Movie Star Kevin Pearson's Search for His Father's Past. I also didn't like her snotty attitude when he invited her to join him for some of the press stuff he had to do. Even if you think it's vapid, there's no need to say that to his face. Just be polite and say "no, thank you."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 21

Is it city councilman he wants to run for?  That next election is in 2019.  he really does have just enough time to establish residency and start a run.    I'm not saying he should do this, but the dates actually work out if they did some googling before planning this story.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I understand that Randall's feelings were hurt about what Kate said, I was on her side in their argument. We each get to make our own choices, no matter how risky they are. If Kate

I was initially on the fence with Alan. He seemed like a nice person who genuinely liked Rebecca because she chose to take woodshop instead of home ec, and I liked that. But when he freaked out about her possibly going to Los Angeles, I was like nope, I'm done with you, Alan. Alan's mom was awesome though (hee, does this mean that Malcolm in the Middle is Alan's brother?).

I continue to love Beth. I loved that she checked to see if Randall had spoken to Kate and then she specifically asked if he had apologized and pointed out that he overstepped in this situation and that he has trouble apologizing to his siblings. I also love that she, Miguel, and Toby (what was the name they came up with at the bar?) are still in touch on their own as the non-Big Three.

I

She said "Pearson no-fly zone if I remember correctly. An article in August said they would make a new Big 3 with Toby, Beth and Miguel, more backstory to their characters.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Rebecca, your boyfriend's mother does not want to hear about your new boyfriend.  She likes her son better than some guy you have had one date with.

Since they have 8 embryos, can Toby go back on his meds now?  

I was sort of shocked to see who Rebecca was telling all that to.  Poor lady, did she actually tell Rebeca she should go see Jack and find out if the feeling was still there?  Sheesh. 

I wondered if Toby could go back on his meds, too.

The last time I had anesthesia I had several long dream/hallucination things that were like short plays starring young me. Quite interesting they were.  I wonder if it's something like the memory retrieval of deep hypnosis?  I woke up to my doctor calling me back with the same sort of frantic insistence that Kate's doctor had.  They kept me overnight for being so late to return. 

5 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love Beth, too, and I'm so glad they're going to give her a real story.  Last year I was afraid they were going to make her into a Felicia Rashad character where everything she said was an overly clever, flippant speech.  I like Beth wise but still human.  How sweet of her to let Randall debrief about his sister and other problems before telling him about her job loss.  I actually felt such a wave of sympathy for her boss, having to fire someone so beautiful and nice.

That single mother can stop lecturing Randall anytime now.

This episode reminded me of why I love the show.  Everyone was so supportive of each other you could really feel that family love.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Can we talk about Randall's magic plane that got him back and forth across country in a day? (Not sure it really was a day, but it seemed like it to me.)  Randall hops on a plane and in seconds he's with his sister!  What? Something happened in Philly? Hold on, I'll be right there.  tDoes he have that many miles left after all these plane trips?

They could have easily cut the scene with Randall and the bitchy mom at the hospital. It added NOTHING and he would have chosen to run anyway if he'd have just talked to her on the phone. She could have said her little line about people making promises and not doing anything and it all would have ended the same. 

And I hate that woman more every time they show her. What is SHE doing for her community? All she's done is complain. Randall helped with the rec center but he didn't get to know them. Now her daughter's attacked and she complains when he promises to help her again. What is her purpose other than to be a whiny bitch and spur him on this boring mission to save his dead father's adopted community? Let HER run for office and save her damn self. Jesus.

7 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah.. again.. I hate to say it but the show is doing nothing for me this season. 

I mean.. I really have nothing to say because I don’t feel much of anything.

I hate to say it but I feel the same. I did feel something when Kate told Randall flying to see her was the most dad thing ever but then they ruined it by having him zoom back home for these random people I care nothing about.

6 hours ago, Pallas said:

I think if anyone runs for office, it will be Beth. She has the expertise in the field, the political talent and the charisma. And the time is right in the real world. Or maybe Philly needs a hungry city planner with a big stake in the North Side. 

Meanwhile, Randall needs to understand that there is more than one way to do Jack proud. Support your wife as she finds her way. You're married now, and it's not a solo sport. As Crash Davis would say, don't try to strike everybody out; throw some ground balls. Trust your teammate, and let her play the game. 

I would enjoy this more than if Randall runs, but I'm still not down with this storyline. I would love to see him stop what he's doing and support her for once and I'm hoping and praying since they inserted that William scene that eventually they get to that place.

• Love 17

Ugh, so I guess Randall and Beth are going to sell their house, uproot the girls, and move to Philly so he can run for office and work on his vanity project (renovating the bldg)?  And conveniently Beth lost her job to free her up.  Lame.  Randall needs to focus and provide some stability for his family.  This pingponging into different interests every week can't be healthy for anyone.

Loved the 3 Kates interacting.  Teen Kate has more sense than grown up Kate.

Don't care about Kevin and Zoe but I'm interested in what he finds in Vietnam.

I'm about the same age as Rebecca and wouldn't have been caught dead wearing that outfit in HS.  And I was nerdy.  Alan's mustache was pretty authentic for the era though.

• Love 9

No, Randall, Jack did not "literally" save your life the day you were born. The fireman did, there was a whole freaking episode about that. Oh, and maybe next time, before launching into a Dramatic Pearson Monologue(tm), ask your wife how she's doing first.

8 hours ago, izabella said:

I loved that Beth and Miguel talk, and that they and Toby have their own phone tree.  I'd have really liked seeing them talking instead of jsut hearing about it.

We saw it last season when everyone flew to California to support Kevin in rehab, but only Rebecca and the Big Three were allowed to be in the therapy session. Beth, Toby, and Miguel went to a bar and bonded over being spouses of Pearsons.

36 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

They could have easily cut the scene with Randall and the bitchy mom at the hospital. It added NOTHING and he would have chosen to run anyway if he'd have just talked to her on the phone. She could have said her little line about people making promises and not doing anything and it all would have ended the same. 

And I hate that woman more every time they show her. What is SHE doing for her community? All she's done is complain. Randall helped with the rec center but he didn't get to know them. Now her daughter's attacked and she complains when he promises to help her again. What is her purpose other than to be a whiny bitch and spur him on this boring mission to save his dead father's adopted community? Let HER run for office and save her damn self. Jesus.

Seriously. What does she expect Randall to do, single-handedly eliminate crime in that neighborhood overnight?

2 hours ago, debraran said:

I also felt a little sad that Rebecca said to his mother, she didn't want the typical life, waiting on her husband, etc and that's what she got.

Yes, I'm really curious how they went from spontaneously taking a cross-country road trip for Rebecca to pursue her dream to the super-traditional gender roles after the kids were born.

Zoe is a pretentious twit and I loved that Terry Gross was completely indifferent to her.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I don't

20 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

No, Randall, Jack did not "literally" save your life the day you were born. The fireman did, there was a whole freaking episode about that. Oh, and maybe next time, before launching into a Dramatic Pearson Monologue(tm), ask your wife how she's doing first.

That was my first thought when he said that also.  But there is more than one way to save a life.  Randall's life would have been completely different if nobody had adopted him and he had grown up in the foster system, so in that sense, yes, Jack did save his life.

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No words of wisdom for youngest Kate?

No need.  It's not like they were real and could take the words of wisdom and apply them to their lives.  Kate's words to teen Kate were about present Kate letting go of that mindset now, as she's kind of been stuck there the last 20 years.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

That was my first thought when he said that also.  But there is more than one way to save a life.  Randall's life would have been completely different if nobody had adopted him and he had grown up in the foster system, so in that sense, yes, Jack did save his life.

But not "literally". ;)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

But not "literally". ;)

It depends on your definition of saving someone's life.  If you think that it only means from death, then maybe not.  Although, some kids do die in the foster system from abuse and neglect.  But, if it also means saving someone's life from poverty, lack of education and whatever else, then yes, literally.  Although, you also have to add a possibly, because someone else may have come along and adopted Randall and given him an even better life without neurotic siblings;)  But, you could also say that about th efireman.  If he hadn't come out, another one would have and saved his life.  No biggie, either way.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

It was Deja that called.  Why Deja wasn't in school in NJ when this happened?  Whole other question but it was certainly Deja who called.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe Deja called between classes. Still heavy handed to pull Randall in that.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I totally support Kevin wanting to learn more about Jack's time in Vietnam. There are some people who have a moment where they realize that they want to know more about their family tree and it usually doesn't happen until adulthood so I hope Kevin doesn't beat himself up too much about not asking Jack more questions when he was younger. I want to believe that Zoe is truly being supportive of Kevin's quest because it's important to him, but I suspect that she is only interested because she thinks that she can make a documentary about Movie Star Kevin Pearson's Search for His Father's Past. I also didn't like her snotty attitude when he invited her to join him for some of the press stuff he had to do. Even if you think it's vapid, there's no need to say that to his face. Just be polite and say "no, thank you."

I'm not trusting Zoe either and I didnt like how the radio host kept asking questions when Kevin said he didn't know about his Dad's time in Vietnam. He was obviously uncomfortable he didn't know. Kevin shouldn't feel bad for not knowing either. He was 17 when his Dad died. How many of us knew all about our parents past at that age? Sometimes it takes a moment in our adulthood before we want to trace our family's past. We've seen celebrities trace their past with Who Do You Think You Are? and Finding Your Roots.

1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

This so much. Always annoys me when people complain, do nothing but want others to do the work and when someone does something, they still complain.

• Love 13

I found this episode incredibly dull and fast-forwarded through a lot of it. I am interested in Kevin finding out more about Jack's time in Vietnam and in whatever Beth decides to do next (I love Beth; her line about the text chain made me laugh); the rest of the stories are just not doing anything for me.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I was sort of shocked to see who Rebecca was telling all that to.  Poor lady, did she actually tell Rebeca she should go see Jack and find out if the feeling was still there?  Sheesh. 

I wondered if Toby could go back on his meds, too.

The last time I had anesthesia I had several long dream/hallucination things that were like short plays starring young me. Quite interesting they were.  I wonder if it's something like the memory retrieval of deep hypnosis?  I woke up to my doctor calling me back with the same sort of frantic insistence that Kate's doctor had.  They kept me overnight for being so late to return. 

I love Beth, too, and I'm so glad they're going to give her a real story.  Last year I was afraid they were going to make her into a Felicia Rashad character where everything she said was an overly clever, flippant speech.  I like Beth wise but still human.  How sweet of her to let Randall debrief about his sister and other problems before telling him about her job loss.  I actually felt such a wave of sympathy for her boss, having to fire someone so beautiful and nice.

That single mother can stop lecturing Randall anytime now.

This episode reminded me of why I love the show.  Everyone was so supportive of each other you could really feel that family love.

I'm sure that Toby will go back on his meds, but because he foolishly stopped cold turkey they will not work the same.  Then we will see the events of the flash forward from last year.  Toby probably will have to try a different combination of meds to get back to functional, and this can be a long process.  I don't remember seeing Kate pregnant in the flash forward, but if she was that would be heartbreaking for her. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I'm not trusting Zoe either and I didnt like how the radio host kept asking questions when Kevin said he didn't know about his Dad's time in Vietnam. He was obviously uncomfortable he didn't know.

Zoe is a heartbreaker, according to Beth. She’s probably very used to using people to get what she wants. But she’s still gorgeous. She and Kevin together fill my TV screen with pretty.

And Terry Gross—who is tiny—needed to fill dead air and was coming at the question from different angles, trying to jog a memory in Kevin’s mind. She’s actually very good at that. People often say during an interview with her that “I’d never thought about that before” or “I’ve never shared that with anyone before.” With Kevin, she finally moved on and mentioned that war veterans are often not able to talk about their experiences with anyone except other vets. 

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I'm about the same age as Rebecca and wouldn't have been caught dead wearing that outfit in HS.  And I was nerdy.  Alan's mustache was pretty authentic for the era though.

For once, I was interested in the early Jack-Rebecca scenes. Usually I fast forward through them. They had real chemistry when they were chatting in the grocery store and Jack said he wanted a family and home life that we’re completely different from the way he grew up. 

And yes, Alan’s moustache was authentic for the era, but it looked fake—and poorly attached. I kept waiting for Rebecca to reach over and rip it off. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't remember seeing Kate pregnant in the flash forward, but if she was that would be heartbreaking for her. 

You probably wouldn't be able to tell.  I'm not trying to be rude, but my mother's college roommate was around Kate's size and didn't know she was pregnant until she was in labor.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Ugh, so I guess Randall and Beth are going to sell their house, uproot the girls, and move to Philly so he can run for office and work on his vanity project (renovating the bldg)?  And conveniently Beth lost her job to free her up.  Lame.  Randall needs to focus and provide some stability for his family.  This pingponging into different interests every week can't be healthy for anyone.

Loved the 3 Kates interacting.  Teen Kate has more sense than grown up Kate.

Don't care about Kevin and Zoe but I'm interested in what he finds in Vietnam.

I'm pretty sure my mom would agree with you.  And she was not just a nerd, but a Catholic school nerd.  I didn't think the school would let a girl take shop back then, though.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You probably wouldn't be able to tell.  I'm not trying to be rude, but my mother's college roommate was around Kate's size and didn't know she was pregnant until she was in labor.

True, but with this show pregnant Kate will have the largest fake baby bump ever.

• Love 2

One thing I noticed in Kate's dream sequence was the babies in the hospital.  The writers decided to include a Baby Doe along with the a girl and a boy.  Now this could just be a nod to the first season, or are the writers planting the seeds for an adoption story line.  I do also think that there was a lot more of the 3 Kates and Jack that was left on the cutting room floor.  I was waiting for adult Kate to tell Jack about Toby and her plans on becoming a mother.  There was way too much Randall in an episode that should have been about Kate. 

• Love 6

The writers decided to include a Baby Doe along with the a girl and a boy.  Now this could just be a nod to the first season, or are the writers planting the seeds for an adoption story line. 

Baby Doe was Randall. The first two babies were labelled Kevin Pearson and Kate Pearson.

So he could have booked a red eye to an early morning flight to get to Kate's appointment, as we don't know what time of day her appointment was. 

Her appointment was at 8 am. It was on her calendar right above where she wrote "8 eggs"

• Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

One thing I noticed in Kate's dream sequence was the babies in the hospital.  The writers decided to include a Baby Doe along with the a girl and a boy.  Now this could just be a nod to the first season, or are the writers planting the seeds for an adoption story line.  I do also think that there was a lot more of the 3 Kates and Jack that was left on the cutting room floor.  I was waiting for adult Kate to tell Jack about Toby and her plans on becoming a mother.  There was way too much Randall in an episode that should have been about Kate. 

What I noted was that the three babies seemed to be Kevin, Kate, and Randall, but then when the three disappeared and the camera focused on another card briefly, it said Damon Pearson. So I suspect that may be a hint toward Kate having a boy and naming him Damon in the future.

ETA: Or....likely that it's really Damon-Pearson since I think Toby's last name is Damon. So nevermind on that.

Edited by Lady Calypso
Because I remembered Toby's last name
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What I noted was that the three babies seemed to be Kevin, Kate, and Randall, but then when the three disappeared and the camera focused on another card briefly, it said Damon Pearson. So I suspect that may be a hint toward Kate having a boy and naming him Damon in the future.

ETA: Or....likely that it's really Damon-Pearson since I think Toby's last name is Damon. So nevermind on that.

Which I thought was weird - doesn't the woman's last name usually go first (if it's a heterosexual marriage)?  

• Love 2