Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

S02.E05: Stuck

Recommended Posts

The first responders race to rescue victims trapped in various tight spots. Meanwhile, Athena contemplates accepting a promotion that will take her out of the field, and Maddie decides to make a move of her own. Then, Buck wonders if he should move on, and Chimney finally deals with the aftermath of his near fatal car crash. Also, Eddie turns to the crew for help with his young son.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Another good episode, but I think that it was shown out of order. I love Eddie, his son, his grandmother, and aunt. The team was so sweet to Christopher, spoiling him rotten. Buck scored a lot of points with me for helping Eddie out. I looked up the young actor playing Christopher. He has cerebral palsy in real life. 

Ha, the guy stuck in the ATM is based on real life. It really happened that a tech got stuck in a ATM. He kept putting out notes for help and people kept ignoring him until someone finally called 9-1-1. I am pretty sure that the real life guy was Black though.

Why did Jimmy have to lose that guy? Not fair. I like that they followed up on his accident. I think that he has PTSD. I did laugh at Hen telling Jimmy that she is his friend so she can hold a grudge. 

I liked Buck finally beginning to accept that Abby is gone. 

The only thing I don't like is that we aren't getting more of Bobby and Athena.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

When Buck said there was someone he wanted Eddie to meet, I thought “It’s the caretaker!” I was glad I was right. She’s great.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

That person stuck in a tail pipe was from real life? I remember some drunk woman who stuck her head in there.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have more to say but it’s late and I’m tired so....Dear Buck, your single sister, whose just starting out and doesn’t seem to have much money, got a 2 bedroom apartment. Aka she’s trying to be nice but it’s time to move out, and she’s giving you the opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post

Every time I watch a new episode of this show, I like it even more than I did the week before. I love the character development of this show. But then again, that is my measure of a good show no matter what the show's theme is. I guess it's the backseat shrink in me : )

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Definitely shown out of order or PTV has them out of order.  This episode is called “Stuck” for obvious reasons because everyone is stuck in one way or another.  Athena likes where she is so doesn’t consider herself in a rut anymore.  The new guy with the kid has tonjuggle a demanding job and a special needs kid but he finds out that the people he works with are more then willing to help him out.  Chimney runs into the ex who abandoned him when he needed her most and realizes he hasn’t really moved on from the accident.  Buck is still holding on to a relationship that is over.  And we haven’t even gotten to all the “stuck” 9-1-1 calls.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've never found Peter Krause particularly attractive but when Bobby strides through an area all "LAFD, stand clear" or "Captain Bobby [Lastname], how can I help you?" it's kind of hot.

I've fallen on an escalator twice. The second time, it was at Penn Station going down to the tracks and it was packed, and a person stopped at the bottom and didn't move and there was a bottleneck - the workers were like "SIR YOU NEED TO MOVE" and I think they actually pushed him out of the way, because we were all yelling and falling. So I'm very cautious on escalators, and when the boyfriend was kneeling on one I was thinking "Why would you do that just kneel in in front of her on solid ground what if you can't get up in time??" I thought his pants or shoelace was going to get stuck and drag him down.

7 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

I have more to say but it’s late and I’m tired so....Dear Buck, your single sister, whose just starting out and doesn’t seem to have much money, got a 2 bedroom apartment. Aka she’s trying to be nice but it’s time to move out, and she’s giving you the opportunity. 

I wondered how she could afford an LA two-bedroom. I also wondered how Abby could afford her cute place. LA is crazy expensive and I didn't think 911 operators made much.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Aww man, the guy who died in the escalator actually got me. It's manipulative as hell, but knowing that something like that actually happened makes it effective. Whatever company did that in real life is going to have quite the lawsuit on their hands.

I liked this episode. And I knew that Athena wasn't going to take the promotion because her character is much more interesting out in the field than behind a desk. But Angela Bassett made it work.

I'm really dreading when Maddie's abusive ex-husband shows up. We really don't need that when there's already plenty of inherent drama in the rescues.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Did the guy who got stuck on the escalator really tell the jewelry store clerk that he had previously bought the girlfriend a diamond necklace, but she 'pawned it and gave the money to a homeless shelter'?? And he wants to propose to this loon?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Did the guy who got stuck on the escalator really tell the jewelry store clerk that he had previously bought the girlfriend a diamond necklace, but she 'pawned it and gave the money to a homeless shelter'?? And he wants to propose to this loon?

Word, I'd dump her over that. Just tell me you don't like it, or that expensive jewelry isn't your thing and give it back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, llewis823 said:

Every time I watch a new episode of this show, I like it even more than I did the week before. I love the character development of this show. But then again, that is my measure of a good show no matter what the show's theme is. I guess it's the backseat shrink in me : )

I feel the same way!  After the show was over, I sat back in my chair and actually said to myself, "I really enjoy watching this show."  However, comments about about Eddie's good-looks are getting old.  If a female was playing this part folks would be all up and in arms about those kind of comments (even me).  The writers need to stop acting like good-looking guys are an aberration rather than the norm.  Good grief!

I also love the chemistry between him and the little boy who plays his son.  Good match.  The little boy always has a big smile and for some reason, I believe its genuine and not acting.

2 hours ago, Xantar said:

I'm really dreading when Maddie's abusive ex-husband shows up. We really don't need that when there's already plenty of inherent drama in the rescues.

Me too.  Ya just know it's coming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I still don't understand how that guy fell through the escalator. If it was just a loose plate then why did no one else fall through it? Did no one use the escalator between the maintenance the night before and him getting on it? That just makes no sense. And while I'm on the topic, what did he actually die of? He'd barely lost any blood and they didn't mention any other injuries that could have caused a heart attack and/or his bp suddenly skyrocketing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Captain Bobby [Lastname], how can I help you?"

Nash. He definitely hasn't had the hotness factor before in his previous roles, but him as a firefighter and especially as a captain just does it for me. Forget Buck and Eddie. 

20 minutes ago, Efzee said:

I still don't understand how that guy fell through the escalator. If it was just a loose plate then why did no one else fall through it? Did no one use the escalator between the maintenance the night before and him getting on it? That just makes no sense. And while I'm on the topic, what did he actually die of? He'd barely lost any blood and they didn't mention any other injuries that could have caused a heart attack and/or his bp suddenly skyrocketing.

Didn't they say something about his femoral artery? Isn't that something that if severed, it can cause you to bleed out? I thought I saw a lot of blood. It was all over Chim's shirt.

I really liked this episode a lot. The character development was well done, and I'm getting attached to most of them. It's definitely not a typical procedural which I tend to avoid. So glad that they found a way for Carla to come back, which actually made good sense.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Nash. He definitely hasn't had the hotness factor before in his previous roles, but him as a firefighter and especially as a captain just does it for me. Forget Buck and Eddie.

 

Au contraire!  I had a huge crush on him when he was on Sports Night, and it continued when he was on Six Feet Under.   He was more "fit but lanky" in those days and the character had...issues, but he had some great scenes with his GF

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248654/mediaviewer/rm3365942272

(there are better pics out there from those days, just couldn't find any quickly while taking a mini-break from work LOL!

 

He's a different kind of hot in this show - mature and muscular - those guns!   Like you, I'd prefer him over Buck or Eddie any day!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Last night's episode got the second worst ratings ever. I can't see S3 happening.

Many people refuse to watch the show until the new 911 dispatcher / self-proclaimed narrator is gone.

It fell one tenth from last weeks rating. The same as it's lead in. It still won the time slot is getting superb ratings.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked this episode. The Chim storyline was so necessary -- I'd been thinking since last season how ridiculous it was that they barely followed up on such a horrifying trauma at all. Plus I like the character and Kenneth Choi is terrific when given something to really work with. As for ratings, I don't know. It was up against both the season finale of Better Call Saul and a tie-breaking playoff game between the Red Sox and Yankees. At the very least those hurt it. It was also a holiday for a lot of people so they may have still been out and about. Unfortunately I feel like I never see it advertised, though. My work buddy who I always talked to about it last year keeps forgetting it's even back on.

Oh, and I was going to say how utterly unnecessary the narration is. I wish they'd drop it completely -- though from next week's preview, it sounded like Athena doing it. I'd be much more amenable if it switched from character to character!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Chimney runs into the ex who abandoned him when he needed her most

When they ran into each other the first time, and given the name of the episode, I thought he was going to break the cardinal rule of life - never get into an elevator with a pregnant woman!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Did the guy who got stuck on the escalator really tell the jewelry store clerk that he had previously bought the girlfriend a diamond necklace, but she 'pawned it and gave the money to a homeless shelter'?? And he wants to propose to this loon?

Technically as a gift, she's free to do whatever she would like with it. However, this probably warranted a discussion with him. Diamonds are not rare, they are not worth what people pay for them, they have no resale value, and every diamond you buy, even conflict free or lab created, provides evidence to warlords that the blood diamond business is a business worth getting into.

1 hour ago, Efzee said:

I still don't understand how that guy fell through the escalator. If it was just a loose plate then why did no one else fall through it? Did no one use the escalator between the maintenance the night before and him getting on it? That just makes no sense. And while I'm on the topic, what did he actually die of? He'd barely lost any blood and they didn't mention any other injuries that could have caused a heart attack and/or his bp suddenly skyrocketing.

If the plate wasn't completely locked in place and secured, I can imagine that multiple people could have gone up the escalator without a problem depending on how they distributed their weight on that final riser. Most people don't put their whole weight on the final riser/plate or if they do it's temporary. This guy put all of his weight on it. Furthermore, every previous person could have shifted to plate slightly enough to knock the entire thing off. There's actually a video of a similar accident. You can clearly see multiple people using it with no problems until the victim steps on it and the plate gives way.

He had a heart attack. He probably sustained a decent amount of injury to his chest in the accident, coupled with stress and blood loss, he just had a heart attack.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I have to wonder if the new time slot has had an impact on the ratings.  Last night my beloved Redskins were on; but I can always catch up with On Demand.  Why do networks fiddle with the day their shows air.   I am glad "Chimney" got a good storyline this year; and I love love love Peter Krause.  This is a strong cast and it has to be hard to spread the story lines around.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have grown to like this show. I really have. Sometimes, though, just sometimes, they do something I just can’t let go and it bothers me to no end. This time it was them allowing Christopher to ride with them on a call, or even just hanging out at the station. There’s no WAY that would happen. There’s ginormous liability issues with that. Also, they didn’t know what they were getting into with that car accident. It could’ve been gruesome. That’s negligence to bring him to that.

One time I fell down the basement stairs and landed on my head on the concrete.  I finally got my daughter’s attention (this was about 14 years ago and she was about 8) and had her call her dad. He was on call. He came and the fire truck came as a first responder. I decided I should go to the hospital in my own vehicle (hubby driving). My daughter did get to ride in the fire truck to her school that was literally less than 2 miles away. The truck went through the parent drop-off lane. But, that only happened after about 10 minutes of conversation about if it would be ok, and they weren’t on a call. Of course, that was the event of my daughter’s life lol. She still talked about it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I really liked this episode. The Chim storyline was so necessary -- I'd been thinking since last season how ridiculous it was that they barely followed up on such a horrifying trauma at all. Plus I like the character and Kenneth Choi is terrific when given something to really work with.

I just hate the way they seem to want to make Chim so unlucky in love.  Plus I hate that he was so nice to that piece of ... you know what.  He deserves better than her. 

I hate to be shallow but the Buck actor looks like he gained some weight between seasons. 

Ugh Jennifer Love Hewitt just has bothered me forever and she didn't exactly look thin. She is just bland oh rama. I wish they made the caretaker the 911 operator, I can imagine her responses to calls

I am going to send this show my therapist bill. I already have phobias about elevators and now I get to worry about escalators? Soon I will be hold up in my house avoiding things that could end up on this show. That escalator death was brutal though. 

Christopher was adorable but it was a bridge too far that they would ever let him come along on a call. Perhaps they knew what it was before they took him but..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

As stupid as this show is, damned if it doesn't keep me entertained week after week.

And what does it say about me that I introduced myself to a woman I've met three times at work this afternoon, and yet I can spot Aylin from the second season of The Glee Project at 30 paces?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

We played a drinking game~

every time the “dumb white guy” is given lines to further the plot you have to take a shot.

this episode got me tipsy...6 shots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, BooBear said:

I am going to send this show my therapist bill. I already have phobias about elevators and now I get to worry about escalators? Soon I will be hold up in my house avoiding things that could end up on this show. That escalator death was brutal though. 

 

A few days before I saw the first promo for this episode, I randomly thought of the real life story of the woman falling through the escalator plate...I think it was only a year or so ago. The real story horrified me, and I've been wary of escalators ever since, lol. So I was kind of dreading watching that sequence. (There's a video of the real incident out there somewhere, but I have no desire to find it and link it because I never want to see it again).

Anyway, like the rest of y'all, I freaking love Christopher. What a happy, smiley kid. Seems like he'd just be a joy to have around. I'm really glad his dad and Buck have become friends and the show didn't go the typical route of having them be bitter enemies after the first episode.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

What a strong episode. We're back to mostly silly and light hearted cases, such as the drunk girl getting her head stuck in the tailpipe and the guy getting stuck behind the ATM machine...well, until that damn escalator call they went on and then the Chimney stuff. They really twisted the feels around from happy to sad. I couldn't remember who Chimney's ex was until I thought back to season 1. Right, she was the one who left Chimney while he was still in a coma. I mean, I didn't care for her at all since we were introduced to her in the episode that he got injured, but still. And ten months after and she's already married and heavily pregnant? Damn, she moved on quickly.

The Christopher stuff was fun. I know that it should bother me with him being at the fire station and then going on a call...but that kid's smile can light up a whole building, and that giggling lights up a whole city block, so I really couldn't be bothered to be bothered. I was grinning through the entire sequence. Plus, Christopher's "I've had three surgeries" over Chimney's one had me laughing. I'm glad Eddie got the help that he needed from Abby's mother's caretaker Carla.

Athena's subplot was good, albeit a small plot. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

The more I see of season two, the more I just handwave season one away as the nightmare it really was, especially the first half-dozen episodes or so. This has matured into a decent show. Good writing, decent acting, plausible rescues based on real-life, and now the personal stories of the FFs are starting to mature.

Chim's PTSD needs to be talked about, both from his accident and from the call he just ran, coupled with his personal life. He's going through a shitshow after that, and the support Nash gave him was exactly what was needed. Both actors pulled that final scene off with aplomb. Kudos to them both. Give him a few weeks and he's going to find a love interest, I have no doubt about that (especially after "April").

I've always been a fan of narration and this didn't bother me. But since it's also a staple of Station 19, this show should probably drop it, or use it more sparingly than they are.

I really hope they can keep the quality going. I wish they'd show more fire calls (they are a truck company after all, not a rescue) Also, and like Station 19, their turnout gear is incredibly pristine for working firefighters. At least Chicago Fire gets that aspect right. And speaking of the gear, isn't LAFD's bunker gear beige, not black?

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I've always been a fan of narration and this didn't bother me.

I like narration too but just realized it in reading the posts in this thread. Someone else mentioned how they could have characters take turns doing it. That is how they did it on Third Watch and Hill Street Blues too. But here is the funny part of my post - I don't even recall any narration on 9-1-1! lol Maybe because I like narration, I don't even notice. I'll have to pay attention from now on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, llewis823 said:

I like narration too but just realized it in reading the posts in this thread. Someone else mentioned how they could have characters take turns doing it. That is how they did it on Third Watch and Hill Street Blues too. But here is the funny part of my post - I don't even recall any narration on 9-1-1! lol Maybe because I like narration, I don't even notice. I'll have to pay attention from now on. 

There was narration on Hill St Blues and Third Watch shows? All that I remember is Taurean Blacque right before we opened on the role call   "previously on Hill Street Blues" and the where the characters will turn go in the future on the Third Watch finale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Last night's episode got the second worst ratings ever. I can't see S3 happening.

Many people refuse to watch the show until the new 911 dispatcher / self-proclaimed narrator is gone.

What matters is the key demo ratings, age 18 to 49 years,  which makes 9-1-1 is one of FOX's highest rated shows even at it lowest 1.4/9 so as of right now a third season looks good.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I literally clapped when Buck opened the door to Carla.

I watch a lot of TV and my interest ranges to “I still like this show and will watch it on the DVR before the next episode” (i.e. Elementary) to “I adore this show more than my kid and will forgive them any ridiculousness” (i.e. Bones) and 9-1-1 is staring to veer into the adore territory after only a season and a half.

I am interested in all these characters, even Buck who I was ready to see shitcanned after the first ep.  I appreciate they really fleshed him out into more than a meathead.

I love them all, even dumb ol’ Maddie who is Not-Abby.  Especially Hen, who I wish I had one of her in MY life.

Since we are all friends here I can admit that I found Denis Leary to be beyond sexy on Rescue Me when he was wearing fireman pants with suspenders and a tight t-shirt and I agree with you guys above that this show has the same thing going for it.  And I'll include Hen in that and Athena in her uniform.

Rockmond Dunbar can say more with an expression than many actors can with one thousand words.

Monday Night Football is a monster.  It’s going to suck ratings from everywhere.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

What matters is the key demo ratings, age 18 to 49 years,  which makes 9-1-1 is one of FOX's highest rated shows even at it lowest 1.4/9 so as of right now a third season looks good.

 

Exactly!   The key thing is the demo ratings, and particularly the demo ratings compared to other shows on FOX.

Your comment reminded me to go check the Renew/Cancel index, a site I haven't looked at for a while

Here's the chart for FOX for Week 1 of this season.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-fox-week-1-2018-19/

They update it weekly, so rankings change week to week.  But as of that first week, 9-1-1 was rated in the top four shows for FOX in the 18-49 year demo, and as "likely to be renewed"  with 4 Bears.

- they rank shows based on # of bears ie Cancellation Bears, because tv shows stay on by outrunning other tv shows, and not getting caught by the bear.  Right now 9-1-1 isn't in danger of getting caught :)

Edited by Hannah Lee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

RE: the guy who died after being rescued from the escalator: would the EMTs really give up that quickly and just let him die? I don't think so. They would have continued working on him in the ambulance all the way to the hospital. He would not be pronounced dead until he was at the hospital - even if it was clear that there was no hope. That's just standard procedure. And speaking of which . . . where was the ambulance? A 911 call of that nature would summon not only the fire department but an ambulance too. I can understand if the fire department arrives first but considering the work they had to do to get the guy free, the ambulance would have been there by the time they did, and the EMTs would have been working on this guy, not the fire fighters. This show seems to want to conflate the fire fighters' jobs with ambulance workers, and that's not how it works, especially in a major metro area like LA.

{/rant}

Quote

 The writers need to stop acting like good-looking guys are an aberration rather than the norm. 

Guys who look like Ryan Guzman/Eddie may be the norm on TV shows but go to your nearest fire station and tell me if you see anyone working there who's anywhere near that good looking. I thought it was pretty realistic when all the drunk girls at the bar were falling all over him. I maintain people that attractive are an aberration. That's why they're on TV in the first place.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the guy who died after being rescued from the escalator: would the EMTs really give up that quickly and just let him die? I don't think so. They would have continued working on him in the ambulance all the way to the hospital. He would not be pronounced dead until he was at the hospital - even if it was clear that there was no hope. That's just standard procedure. 

Agreed.  My husband had to do CPR on someone who was CLEARLY dead because that was protocol.  They had to transport her to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the guy who died after being rescued from the escalator: would the EMTs really give up that quickly and just let him die? I don't think so. They would have continued working on him in the ambulance all the way to the hospital.

If I had to guess, what probably did him in was his femoral artery gave way and he bled out...but there's no way in hell they could show that on TV, so they just had him go quickly and quietly for dramatic effect...and not grossing out the audience.

 

22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

He would not be pronounced dead until he was at the hospital - even if it was clear that there was no hope. That's just standard procedure. And speaking of which . . . where was the ambulance? A 911 call of that nature would summon not only the fire department but an ambulance too. I can understand if the fire department arrives first but considering the work they had to do to get the guy free, the ambulance would have been there by the time they did, and the EMTs would have been working on this guy, not the fire fighters. This show seems to want to conflate the fire fighters' jobs with ambulance workers, and that's not how it works, especially in a major metro area like LA.

I don't know about CA regs, but in some jurisdictions an ALS crew can pronounce (some with, and some without an MD's authorization). I'm guessing that everybody on Truck 118 is BLS certified only, so they probably should have kept CPR going until Roy and Johnny got there (sorry, they're in County, not City). And while an ambulance might arrive later than a fire department vehicle (simply because there are more fire stations than ambulance stations/posts), by the time they extricated and stabilized the victim that would be more than enough time for ALS crew (i.e. paramedics) to get there. But this isn't a show about them, it focuses on FD mostly. I agree, though. Sloppy writing in an otherwise excellent episode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Guys who look like Ryan Guzman/Eddie may be the norm on TV shows but go to your nearest fire station and tell me if you see anyone working there who's anywhere near that good looking. I thought it was pretty realistic when all the drunk girls at the bar were falling all over him. I maintain people that attractive are an aberration. That's why they're on TV in the first place.

I was making this point in the Hollywood thread. Hollywood is so superficial that both Judy Greer and Tina Fey have made their careers out of being the mousey plain friend. Real world attractive means you're plain for Hollywood. The best thing about this interaction was the didn't pretend like Eddie isn't ridiculously good looking.

I had an occasion to briefly work with/meet Matt Bomer 20 years ago. You know what the first thing I said to him was? Not hello or nice to meet you. I said "You look like a Disney prince." A guy that I went to med school with had left modeling because his career was dying down. The first thing I said to him was "hello nurse!!" from Animaniacs because I'm a dope with no game or suave.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the guy who died after being rescued from the escalator: would the EMTs really give up that quickly and just let him die? I don't think so. They would have continued working on him in the ambulance all the way to the hospital. He would not be pronounced dead until he was at the hospital - even if it was clear that there was no hope. That's just standard procedure. And speaking of which . . . where was the ambulance? A 911 call of that nature would summon not only the fire department but an ambulance too. I can understand if the fire department arrives first but considering the work they had to do to get the guy free, the ambulance would have been there by the time they did, and the EMTs would have been working on this guy, not the fire fighters. This show seems to want to conflate the fire fighters' jobs with ambulance workers, and that's not how it works, especially in a major metro area like LA.

I, for one, don't expect total realizism from a show like this, and them working on the guy all the way to the hospital, OR handing him over to EMTs would have killed the scene.  I'll take good drama over realism in this case.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/8/2018 at 7:01 PM, SimoneS said:

Why did Jimmy have to lose that guy? Not fair. I like that they followed up on his accident. I think that he has PTSD. I did laugh at Hen telling Jimmy that she is his friend so she can hold a grudge.

I liked Hen's comment because that's exactly how I am about family - anyone hurts my kids (emotionally), and I hold on to that forever, but the kids (now grownups) are better people and forgive and forget.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, Empress1 said:

I've fallen on an escalator twice. The second time, it was at Penn Station going down to the tracks and it was packed, and a person stopped at the bottom and didn't move and there was a bottleneck - the workers were like "SIR YOU NEED TO MOVE" and I think they actually pushed him out of the way, because we were all yelling and falling. So I'm very cautious on escalators, and when the boyfriend was kneeling on one I was thinking "Why would you do that just kneel in in front of her on solid ground what if you can't get up in time??" I thought his pants or shoelace was going to get stuck and drag him down.

I thought that way too. I am cautious on escalators, I haven't actually had a problem, but heard about so many (I remember one story about a woman's flip flop getting caught and pulled in along with her foot-- arrgggh!)

 

On 10/9/2018 at 4:24 PM, BooBear said:

I just hate the way they seem to want to make Chim so unlucky in love.  Plus I hate that he was so nice to that piece of ... you know what.  He deserves better than her.

The way I remember it, Chim wasn't so much unlucky as he was never particularly honest with women - always claiming credit for things he didn't do, and such.

20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Guys who look like Ryan Guzman/Eddie may be the norm on TV shows but go to your nearest fire station and tell me if you see anyone working there who's anywhere near that good looking. I thought it was pretty realistic when all the drunk girls at the bar were falling all over him. I maintain people that attractive are an aberration. That's why they're on TV in the first place.

Well, I work with firefighters, and the particular bunch I know are all pretty much as attractive as these guys. Maybe it's an aberration, but in my limited experience, it's dead on. It's one of the reasons there are firefighter calendars, after all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the guy who died after being rescued from the escalator: would the EMTs really give up that quickly and just let him die? I don't think so. They would have continued working on him in the ambulance all the way to the hospital. He would not be pronounced dead until he was at the hospital - even if it was clear that there was no hope. That's just standard procedure. And speaking of which . . . where was the ambulance? A 911 call of that nature would summon not only the fire department but an ambulance too. I can understand if the fire department arrives first but considering the work they had to do to get the guy free, the ambulance would have been there by the time they did, and the EMTs would have been working on this guy, not the fire fighters. This show seems to want to conflate the fire fighters' jobs with ambulance workers, and that's not how it works, especially in a major metro area like LA.

{/rant}

Guys who look like Ryan Guzman/Eddie may be the norm on TV shows but go to your nearest fire station and tell me if you see anyone working there who's anywhere near that good looking. I thought it was pretty realistic when all the drunk girls at the bar were falling all over him. I maintain people that attractive are an aberration. That's why they're on TV in the first place.

For dramatic purposes they just time skipped over what the paramedics did and went to the end game of continuing CPR when he was pronounced.  I guess they could have helped us out with a large pool of blood on the floor. I don't know if that is a standards and practices issue or  a money decision. Then we have cutting for time and no regular doctor character to show CPR being stopped in the ER instead of in the field.

 

So a police Sergeant with no regular troops we are shown supervising is offered a next level supervisory position.  I said it last season before I dropped out and still think she needs a driver/partner to play against when she is in the field.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The way I remember it, Chim wasn't so much unlucky as he was never particularly honest with women - always claiming credit for things he didn't do, and such.

He admitted as much when he sat with Titania. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Add me to "I love this show!"  Even with Jennifer Love-Hewitt. Ha.

Escalator accidents freak me out. Cannot watch. I don't know if it was ER, Chicago Med, or what medical show (I've been watching for MANY years now), but one show had an escalator incident where I think the person's hair got stuck and it ripped the hair and skin off of the victim' head.  Auggh!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Add me to "I love this show!"  Even with Jennifer Love-Hewitt. Ha.

Escalator accidents freak me out. Cannot watch. I don't know if it was ER, Chicago Med, or what medical show (I've been watching for MANY years now), but one show had an escalator incident where I think the person's hair got stuck and it ripped the hair and skin off of the victim' head.  Auggh!

 

Yeah, I'm like that with escalator accidents too.  I never click on any links to stories about them.   And IRL I'm always super cautious on them because - Ouch, they can really mess you up.

Though the only mishap I've ever actually been part of didn't end too badly.  I was coming down one in Heathrow, among a bunch of other passengers with luggage.  A women a few steps up from me lost her balance and fell forward, pushing into a bunch of people who started falling themselves.  I wound up turned around crouched down a few steps in front of her (no idea how) and managed to get my hands under her head as it was about to hit the metal step, so it was a soft impact instead of a whack.  Everyone around kind got the their feel and kind of lifted her up until we got to the bottom of the escalator and laid her on the ground, and someone hit the e-stop pretty quickly too.    She was a bit dazed (maybe was dizzy before she fell?) but OK.  I was amazed how fast official medics were by her side.   It was amazing to me afterwards that we all got off it with no one getting caught in the mechanism and badly hurt - people just quickly dusted themselves off with little bumps and cuts, grabbed their bags and just proceeded to their flights.

 

And on the way they showed the guy's decline and death, I'm OK with it.  I am still somewhat traumatized from a Homicide: Life on the Street episode where Vincent D'Onofrio was pushed off a subway platform and was pinned by a train, and they spent most of the episode with him.  He was awake and talking, but everyone around knew that as soon as they moved the train car away from him, he was a goner.  Haunting.

 

(And I just googled that episode -  interesting to find it has ties to to Breaking Bad:

Quote

"Screenwriter Vince Gilligan said "Subway" directly influenced an episode of The X-Files that he wrote, which in turn helped inspire the casting of Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad."

Edited by Hannah Lee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought that way too. I am cautious on escalators, I haven't actually had a problem, but heard about so many (I remember one story about a woman's flip flop getting caught and pulled in along with her foot-- arrgggh!)

This makes me remember a movie I saw a lonnnggg time ago as a little kid...can't remember the movie, but these girls were going up an escalator. One of them dropped something and bent to pick it up, and her necklace got caught and pulled her down with it and was strangling her. That very scene scarred me but good and I'm pretty sure I changed the channel and never looked back, lol. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I actually think it was a horror movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hannah Lee said:

And on the way they showed the guy's decline and death, I'm OK with it.  I am still somewhat traumatized from a Homicide: Life on the Street episode where Vincent D'Onofrio was pushed off a subway platform and was pinned by a train, and they spent most of the episode with him.  He was awake and talking, but everyone around knew that as soon as they moved the train car away from him, he was a goner.  Haunting.

That episode is (no pun intended) gut wrenching. And although the EMTs are on the scene, they are really there just to keep the victim alive and lucid enough for the homicide detectives to extract enough information to catch the perp and for the murder trial. It's stellar stellar work. It won a Peabody Award and is one of the finest episodes of TV ever produced. I'd recommend everyone watch it if they can.

https://tv.avclub.com/a-not-yet-dead-murder-victim-reveals-the-best-of-homici-1798249618

Anyway, back to 9-1-1.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, Empress1 said:

I've never found Peter Krause particularly attractive but when Bobby strides through an area all "LAFD, stand clear" or "Captain Bobby [Lastname], how can I help you?" it's kind of hot.

I've fallen on an escalator twice. The second time, it was at Penn Station going down to the tracks and it was packed, and a person stopped at the bottom and didn't move and there was a bottleneck - the workers were like "SIR YOU NEED TO MOVE" and I think they actually pushed him out of the way, because we were all yelling and falling. So I'm very cautious on escalators, and when the boyfriend was kneeling on one I was thinking "Why would you do that just kneel in in front of her on solid ground what if you can't get up in time??" I thought his pants or shoelace was going to get stuck and drag him down.

I wondered how she could afford an LA two-bedroom. I also wondered how Abby could afford her cute place. LA is crazy expensive and I didn't think 911 operators made much.

I have been terrified of escalators my entire life. I'm not sure why but clearly something traumatized me. Even to this day, I avoid them and I really hesitate before actually using one. 

My son fell down one at the Atlanta airport. My mom fell trying to grab him to prevent the fall. Let's just say no one told me until the next day in person because they know of my extreme fear. This episode did nothing to help me!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

  I'll take good drama over realism in this case.

Surprise . . . you can have both! At least, when you have good writers. But this is a Ryan Murphy fantasy, so not so much. 

No, I don't expect 100% reality down to the finest detail either - I watch Grey's Anatomy for crap's sake. But there are some very basic things that even a civilian like me can immediately spot as being rather obviously wrong, and that's just a little TOO much hand-waving I'm expected to do.

A show like this has to be aware of how many police, medical and fire-fighter procedurals there are on TV. The general TV viewing public isn't as ignorant about stuff like this as some writers seem to think. There's artistic liberty, and then there's just flat "you'd be sued" wrong.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 9:35 AM, Clanstarling said:

Well, I work with firefighters, and the particular bunch I know are all pretty much as attractive as these guys. Maybe it's an aberration, but in my limited experience, it's dead on. It's one of the reasons there are firefighter calendars, after all.

I mean, you would have to assume that lugging around all those firefighting equipment would create some pretty good muscles.

I feel like this show seems pretty balanced in terms of how they feature the characters. That's nice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×