Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Last night, I got neonatal and Gaza.  I said Jules Verne for FJ.  I blame the dog, who for some unknown reason was going ape-shit crazy at the time, for distracting me. That's my story, blah, blah, blah.  And woof-woof!

Tonight, I got McCoy, Negro League, and gypsum.  I got FJ by singing the song.  Fine, I had to sing it twice, because the first time I totally whiffed on the last line.

Happy that crazy eyed Matt didn't win.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I call foul on Matt not getting credit for his answer of Labour and Torries. I heard him say

”’t’s the, uh, Labour and Tory?”

Him being penalized there cost him the win!

That’s not in the form of a question Who, what, why or when is needed even if you don’t use the correct one. 

• Love 3

Thanks to an ill-timed phone call, I missed the entire game, but thankfully the archive was updated so I was able to read all the clues.

I wonder if the clues in Alex’s Bucket List were true, because it’s hard to believe someone with his resources and love of travel hasn’t been to Australia by now.  (Please tell me the visual part of the clue, which I can't see on the archive, was a picture of someplace in Australia, not a world map with Australia highlighted!)

The Llasa TS in that category did not surprise me, even though it amounted to “Name the capital of Tibet," because geography clues are particularly prone to stumping contestants.  The Salinas TS somewhat surprised me; I thought that whole American Lit category was better suited to the first round.  Gypsum surprised me at first, but then I decided it didn’t.  The Negro Leagues TS just flat-out surprised me, though; Hank Aaron is obviously baseball, and with the team name it’s obviously not MLB, so look at the year and Aaron’s race, and what can it be?  I’d have thought at least one would get that.

*Speaking of over-valued clues, I can’t even with the Glinda = the good witch being a DD in DJ.  I don't even like The Wizard of Oz, but talk about cultural osmosis; references are everywhere!

I figured all three contestants would have time to sing in their head and come up with the last line in order to nail FJ, but apparently not.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Please tell me the visual part of the clue, which I can't see on the archive, was a picture of someplace in Australia, not a world map with Australia highlighted!)

It was a picture of Uluru so almost though not the Sydney Opera House so I guess that’s good. I also was surprised he hadn’t been to Australia. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That’s not in the form of a question Who, what, why or when is needed even if you don’t use the correct one. 

It is though. It sounded to me like he just swallowed the first part of the word “What.” I’ve heard that happen many times before on the show. 

• Love 2

Monday & Tuesday FJ were instagets. 

So grateful that the clown category did not have any scary clown pictures.

heehee to Alex' Bucket List being picked last.  

12 hours ago, Trey said:

So many really easy questions last night.  Like, what does AI stand for. 

And "Mommie Dearest" being a $1,000 clue!

Tuesday also, especially the DDs -  "Thank you"; "Glinda"; "McCoy (in a McPeople category). 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Tuesday also, especially the DDs -  "Thank you"; "Glinda"; "McCoy (in a McPeople category). 

I complained about Glinda being a DD, but I forgot about "Thank You" also being a DD; yes, that was just as ridiculous.  What the hell else was a two-word Oscar acceptance speech going to be,  "I won"?  "Holy shit"?  "Up yours"? 

McCoy was fairly easy, too, but those two are on another level.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

Some pretty unlikely TSs this week (my instaget TS was the Negro Leagues).  I doubt we'll see those kinds of misses in the All-Star tournament.

Despite my coulrophobia, I somehow ran the Clowns category.  It helped that one clue was baseball-related and another Simpsons-related, which are both dream categories for me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Despite my coulrophobia, I somehow ran the Clowns category.  It helped that one clue was baseball-related and another Simpsons-related, which are both dream categories for me.

I was so relieved that there were no scary clown picture clues. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Some pretty unlikely TSs this week (my instaget TS was the Negro Leagues).  I doubt we'll see those kinds of misses in the All-Star tournament.

I hope we see more difficult clues in the All-Star tournament!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I complained about Glinda being a DD, but I forgot about "Thank You" also being a DD; yes, that was just as ridiculous.  What the hell else was a two-word Oscar acceptance speech going to be,  "I won"?  "Holy shit"?  "Up yours"? 

I thought "Thank you" was obvious as well, but didn't even consider what other two word speeches might consist of. 

Peace out!

I won?

Why me?

For an Emmy, a good Three word speech would, "Suck it, Trebek"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think I'd love an actor who said "Holy Shit"

As for DD's - are they assigned by the question, or does Jeopardy just randomly assign them to a category (or column) and value?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This photo is very close to the runcible spoon my mother had and showed me so I would know what one was. She is the one who taught me The Owl and the Pussycat. So I'm chosing her opinion over anyone else's. It's big, like a serving spoon, with three tines that are broad and sort of fancy.

I have one of these in my kitchen!  Used it for dinner last night, in fact.  Have never heard of the term "runcible".  Learned something new today!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

It is though. It sounded to me like he just swallowed the first part of the word “What.” I’ve heard that happen many times before on the show. 

I thought so, too. I'll have to rewatch.

Instead of Llasa, I said Katmandu. This was one of my answers I was sure was right. 😞

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think I'd love an actor who said "Holy Shit"

As for DD's - are they assigned by the question, or does Jeopardy just randomly assign them to a category (or column) and value?

Or like Doris Lessing on finding out she'd won the Nobel Prize: "Oh Christ."

• Love 2

Last night I had McCoys and Salinas as my only gets. I missed FJ and said Brigadoon. I think I was somehow thinking of a recent episode I watched and didn't even think of the lyrics to the song; I thought about the bridge part. I've probably watched 200 episodes over the past two weeks, so I'm going to stop watching for a few days; I have a four-day weekend from school for Rodeo Days, so I'm going to decompress.

I felt bad for Matt. He started really strong but faded in DJ. His facial expressions were freaking me out though. That's a face with a lot of character!

• Love 2

This is NOT a spoiler but.....what should we do about the contest due to the All-Star games? Again, not a spoiler but there was NO FJ today. Should we just count this week as a "short week" (score X/2) & pick it up again when the A-S games are over (with another short week X/3)? I'm sure there may be FJ questions during the A-S, but when? how many? etc.

9 minutes ago, ABay said:

As far as I'm concerned, a runcible spoon is just a big ol' spork, and I think the contestant who said spork should've been given the points.

Well, then the Lear poem would have to be rewritten so:

They dined on mince, and pieces of pork, Which they ate with a cheap plastic spork;

Not not quite the same panache if you know what I mean.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I'll be watching again now that the tournament is over. I'll be watching with a heavy heart, though, after hearing the news about Alex Trebek. Man this sucks.

I wonder if the reruns of that champions tournament was scheduled as filler while he underwent medical testing and some treatments.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I wonder if the reruns of that champions tournament was scheduled as filler while he underwent medical testing and some treatments.

In the video he said he just found out this week. The tournament was a repeat had been on the schedule since last summer.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Today I got FJ after only a little thought, so I was surprised all three missed it.

HOWEVER, I had to smile at Dana's excellent FJ wager.  Usually if you enter FJ in third place, you're going to lose, but sometimes you have a chance if everyone gets it wrong AND you wager correctly.  Which she did, winning by 1 dollar.  (It's a pet peeve of mine when people over-wager.)

• Love 7

Of course there’s a YOLO category today 🤢

And in a half hour I’ll be watching Riverdale (Luke Perry 🤢)

Remember when watching TV was fun? 🤢

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it’s going to be from now until the end of time before I get over that guy answering “Lawrence Thomas”.  It was wrong on so many levels.

And the real LT is such a part of my fandom that I automatically typed out Taylor and had to back up.

Backlash came to me right before the last bong of the song so I don’t know if I would have had time to write it down.  The other answers were...interesting.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Today I got FJ after only a little thought, so I was surprised all three missed it.

Ditto. My first thought was “kickback” but then the right answer came to me. 

• Love 2

FJ just wasn't coming to me today. In my defense, I am drugged up on cold meds 😛

I did notice however that for the Anne Boleyn clue, I didn't actually know the answer (I'm terrible with history) until I noticed her necklace with a 'B' in it. I wonder if that was intentional.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I did notice however that for the Anne Boleyn clue, I didn't actually know the answer (I'm terrible with history) until I noticed her necklace with a 'B' in it. I wonder if that was intentional.

That’s a fairly well-known portrait of Anne Boleyn.  The necklace was (If I remember correctly) a gift from Henry VIII.

• Love 2

Welcome back to clues left on the board, Good For You interviews, four-digit final $ totals and any DD wager more than $2,000 is daring and oh-so bold. Hope everyone who hated the All Stars is happy.

Interesting the engineer contestant didn't know the "engineering term for a jolt caused by a gap in machine parts."

First regular game this week, first asterisk this week.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Welcome back to clues left on the board, Good For You interviews, four-digit final $ totals and any DD wager more than $2,000 is daring and oh-so bold. Hope everyone who hated the All Stars is happy.

But on the plus side, this game made me feel smarter than any of the champion games did. So there’s that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Hope everyone who hated the All Stars is happy.

I am! None of the things you mentioned annoy me more than that boring ass tournament.

FJ was an IG. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Putting aside my sadness about Alex for a second to say,

"I'm back, bitches!!"

After my disastrous FJ showing during the tournament, I was sooooo happy to get tonight's FJ.  Plus, an *.  Good for me. I also got tsunami.

Now, I'm going to go back to being sad.

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me, too -- I was really surprised that no one got it.  Yay, asterisk!

I also got tsunami (also a surprise TS), and Robinson Crusoe on a wild-ass guess.

I only just found out about Alex's diagnosis, and I wish him well.  I hope he is able to finish every day of his three-year contract and then some.

• Love 2

We are not back to regular viewing yet in Detroit- last night's Tournament final was postponed due to the Mayor's State of the City.  I assume we will be skipping tonight's game - otherwise I will always be a day behind the forum.

So sorry to hear about Alex - sending all happy thoughts in his direction. 

• Love 2
(edited)

My cat would like to know why I was hollering LaDainian Tomlinson at the TV, since our deal that I could yell at football players on TV while she's on my lap did not extend to randomly yelling a football player's name during the off-season.  I loved that category.  As a Scrabble player, and someone who loves vocabulary categories, I loved the Scrabble words category, too.  I was bummed they didn’t get to the last My Songs clue, as I really enjoyed that one, too.

My LT yelling had nothing on the volume I got with tsunami.  Jeez, people, especially with two wrong answers.  Un-break My Heart surprised me, too, but not to that degree.  FJ being a TS was somewhere in the middle on my surprise meter.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also got tsunami (also a surprise TS)

I was thinking tsunami after the first two wrong guesses. Seems strange for an acronym to use a letter that is silent in the word.

My TS was Unbreak My Heart.

I got FJ. I immediately thought 'backlash' but kept trying to think of other options because it didn't seem quite right.

I don't think I've heard of a forecastle.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Interesting the engineer contestant didn't know the "engineering term for a jolt caused by a gap in machine parts."

He was from Tucson, so I was definitely rooting for him. I hope he doesn't catch too much flack from his coworkers for missing that one. 

I'm glad to have regular Jeopardy back. The All Star clues were shaking my confidence! I did well today but missed FJ and was too emotional about Alex to think to write down my gets. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

And the real LT is such a part of my fandom that I automatically typed out Taylor and had to back up.

I immediately went there and then remembered how LT ended Joe Theisman's career on Monday Night Football all those years ago. NOPE NOT HIM! LT PLAYED DEFENSE! Then I got to the right answer.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That semester of Machine Dynamics decades ago paid off in instaget fashion for me LOL.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

My cat would like to know why I was hollering LaDainian Tomlinson at the TV, since our deal that I could yell at football players on TV while she's on my lap did not extend to randomly yelling a football player's name during the off-season.  I loved that category.  As a Scrabble player, and someone who loves vocabulary categories, I loved the Scrabble words category, too.  I was bummed they didn’t get to the last My Songs clue, as I really enjoyed that one, too.

My LT yelling had nothing on the volume I got with tsunami.  Jeez, people, especially with two wrong answers.  Un-break My Heart surprised me, too, but not to that degree.  FJ being a TS was somewhere in the middle on my surprise meter.

I was yelling Rhodes. With "scholar" in quotations marks, it seemed so obvious to me!

I was disappointed they didn't finish My Songs, too.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I was thinking tsunami after the first two wrong guesses. Seems strange for an acronym to use a letter that is silent in the word.

I thought tornado was a strange guess. The question was about the Pacific ocean! I thought typhoon and tsunami right away, but I don't know which I would have gone with in a game.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because it's pronounced foke-sul?

Oddly weird... I was scanning YouTube for old episodes of Jeopardy! with Art Fleming and found one from 1974. It's here. At 17:46 in the Double Jeopardy round, the $100 clue in the "Odd Lots" category was:

A RAISED FORWARD DECK; ORIG., WORD REF. TO TURRETS FOR SHIP'S FIGHTING MEN

A triple stumper that Art reveals is the fo'c'sle. A duplicate answer 45 years later! I was really surprised to see that. That's some coincidence.

Another coincidence: Art Fleming died of pancreatic cancer.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
Addl. Info
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Oddly weird... I was scanning YouTube for old episodes of Jeopardy! with Art Fleming and found one from 1974. It's here. At 17:46 in the Double Jeopardy round, the $100 clue in the "Odd Lots" category was:

A triple stumper that Art reveals is the fo'c'sle. A duplicate answer 45 years later! I was really surprised to see that. That's some coincidence.

Another coincidence: Art Fleming died of pancreatic cancer.

I knew Ladainian Tomlinson and Unbreak my Heart. I got backlash from the first part of the clue. Alex to the average person six thousand dollars is a lot of money. I also wish him luck in his cancer fight.

• Love 2