Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Total Eclipse of the Heart

• Start Topic

Screen+Shot+2018-04-27+at+5.41.45+AM+%25

In a final and drastic attempt to save Nic from Lane's acts of sabotage, Conrad must call in a favor from the one person he promised he never would. Meanwhile, Mina's partnership with The Raptor takes on new colors when Micah is rushed back to Chastain with major heart complications and Dr. Bell's alliance with Lane is put to the ultimate test when one of her patients is readmitted to the hospital.

Promos

(edited)

Wow! Bell has more stones than I gave him credit for!! I thought he was totally whipped!  I did not see him turning her in at all.  Wonder if this will drag out or if she'll just be gone next season?

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 9

Ding Dong the witch is dead! 

I'm happy Lane is gone. That woman was beyond evil. I was super shocked that Bell played her though; I really thought he was going to help her destroy evidence.

• Love 13
(edited)

Bell surprised me.  I'm so full of curiosity as to what his primary motivation was!  To save the hospital's reputation, and thus his own?  To avoid potential accomplice charges?  Avoid lawsuits?  He actually has a part of him that cares about patients?  I think he really was shocked that she was giving chemo to patients without cancer.  He was flawless, though.  He thoroughly and coolly played Lane without hesitation.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 11

Great finale.  I said when that hypochondriac got referred, it'd bring down Lane.  :) It played out differently, but.... Go team!!

Bell, I think, is just plain self serving - and smart.  But also, maybe, there's a tiny bit of him that actually cares about Chastain as he is the "face" of it - it is also him in a way.  He is a very good actor, he makes me think he was a good doctor/person who cared once upon a time.  I think he never really fell for Lane's come on either -it was kind of ham fisted.  He seemed more like he'd expect to be shafted than the average guy given that list he ran down a few episodes ago.

I almost said "Cary's" father - but I mean Conrad's father being around will be interesting.  Nic was back in a white coat awfully quick - I guess he did more than just bail her out?

Mina crying was almost more than I could bear, and the rookie doctor becoming the ER star was adorable!

Looking forward to the next season :)

• Love 11

Mina broke me. I could almost see a thought bubble above her head: "man I about fucked Micah to death. Twice."

bell shocked me in good way.

great finale

• Like 1
  • Love 4

That was a really great episode!  So happy to see Lane get caught.    Props to Melina Kanakaredes. I never saw her play an evil witch before.  She really nailed it.  

I think Bell didn't want to believe Lane was guilty, but once she took the bait, self interest and the reputation of the hospital were his priorities.  He played her so well.

A satisfying season finale.

• Love 19

I wasn't into this show in the beginning because of how black and white everything was, but they've done a great job with Bell. More complex characters like him and less completely evil villains like Lane, please.

• Love 5
(edited)

I knew it!

From the moment he told her to go to her clinic, I knew that Bell was setting Lane up. I'm certain he does have feelings for her but his instinct of preservation has always been stronger. It was perfectly in character for him, and it allowed me to fully enjoy Lane driving to her doom. OK, almost fully. A little part of me might have liked to see the match made in Hell make a run for having it all. Kudos to the writing and acting for pushing a part of me to root for the bad guys and wish they at least make it as a couple.

I've always loved Bruce Greenwood as an actor and I'm glad he found the part of Bell, he was once more flawless here.

Villains can overstay their welcome but I don't feel it's yet the case for Lane. I want to know more about her. I want her to wreak more havoc. I want to see Bell deal with the consequences of his decision, battle with his feelings a bit. I want Nic to confront her with the upper hand, she didn't get to. I don't want to lose the fabulous Melina K.

Mina and Micah are cute.  Only on this show, a feel good ending is a twist. Yet, I realized it was actually less cliché than killing him off for maximum angst, like every patient involved with a doctor on every other medical show. I just hope that Mina won't lose her badass edge, but I don't think so. They're setting up Austin as a mentor for her, and I began to believe that he could be a good one, one who wouldn't place his instinct of preservation above her interest. She has never been portrayed as unfeeling or cold-hearted, just as brash, utterly logical and rational, so it's important for her to learn to deal with her emotions instead of dismissing them, so as not be overwhelmed when she expects it less.

Priya was back, I was glad to see her. It's nice that some characters have LIs outside of the hospital and I hope that she and Dev stay together. Loved the ER scenes with Feldman, the Dev/Feldman and Conrad/Mina friendships.

Loved the prison guard's snark.

I still feel that Conrad's dad is shady AF. Controlling. Telling he loves him, but manipulating him. Conrad seemed weirdly resigned to his fate during their discussion in the car. I liked how he didn't snap at his father after he asked for help with his eyes wide open and how he assumed the decision he made, but on the other hand his attitude contrasted so much with his previous open hostility that it made me so very ill at ease. Something's not right here.

There was a feeling of rush to a conclusion, but since the episode was filmed before the show premiered, I'm thankful to the showrunners who didn't make it a big cliffhanger. The renewal made the Conrad/Nic make-out session rather clunky imo, a bit superficial; I'd have liked them to have a more meaningful conversation about his father, the bail etc. But I'd probably have appreciated it a lot had the show been cancelled and those subjects will more than probably be broached next season. So I'm OK with it.

I like very much how they're setting up things for next season, Conrad/Conrad's Dad/Bell has the potential to be extremely interesting, with reversals of alliances etc Bring it on!

I began to watch for the cast, and I came to appreciate the writing and to love the characters. Fingers crossed for next season.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 9

OMG! That was fabulous!  Edge of my seat.  So many twists I didn't see coming, which is unusual for network TV.   Completely satisfying.  Next season is going to be so much fun I can't wait!  I need a cigarette after that episode. 

• Love 7

Thank god the FBI was there ... when I heard Bell tell her to get rid fo evidence I was like, as if the FBI wouldn't secure the scene while waiting for the warrant? If you have probable cause to get a warrant the agents would be out there securing the clinic. 

I am not even sure I understand what Bell did. It could be used as an argument that he set her up -- he even used the words misconstrued. So she could claim she just panicked but really didn't think she did anything wrong. 

I still hate Dr. Theo.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, izabella said:

Bell surprised me.  I'm so full of curiosity as to what his primary motivation was!  To save the hospital's reputation, and thus his own?  To avoid potential accomplice charges?  Avoid lawsuits?  He actually has a part of him that cares about patients?  I think he really was shocked that she was giving chemo to patients without cancer.  He was flawless, though.  He thoroughly and coolly played Lane without hesitation.

Bell didn't have a choice. Once everyone figured out that Lane was faking cancer cases they have a legal obligation to call authorities. He can't stop that so all he can do is maneuver himself to come out on top. His cooperation with the FBI made it clear that Lane was intentionally doing something wrong rather than just being a bad doctor who misdiagnosed people because of incompetence. It made him look like a hero, kept the FBI from needing to dig around too much at the hospital, which he obviously wouldn't want and let him get ahead of any potential bad media.

Now I do think when he made the filing burning suggestion, he was hoping Lane would say she had nothing to hide and that if Lily and the new patient didn't have cancer they were horrible mistakes but he knew the moment he was presented with the evidence that Conrad and Pravesh wouldn't make those claims lightly. I think his ego was pleased to get attention from Lane and when she revealed she had files to burn, he realized that he had been played and was angry on top of just looking out for himself.

There's this moment when Lane embraces him that's focused on Bell's face and Bruce Greenwood gives you everything, hurt, betrayal, anger and realization that he can turn all of it to his advantage. He's always been one of the most underappreciated actors out there. I know this isn't the sort of show that's going to pick up Emmy nominations but he deserves one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21

I honestly thought that Lane wouldn't be caught this season and it would have carried into the next. I'm pleasantly surprised to be wrong. 

So, did the FBI just happen to be securing Lane's clinic, or did Bell place a tip to the FBI to get there earlier than the next morning? I do fully believe that his hand was forced with Nic, Devon, and Conrad calling the FBI, and he encouraged Lane to go to her clinic to bring files over to destroy (I believe, up to that point, that he was genuinely conflicted and still didn't believe that Lane would be so evil). However, the look on his face when Lane was hugging him seemed to read as his moment of clarity, so I can't help but wonder if telling her to burn the files was a test and she failed, so he tipped off the FBI to get there earlier. Either way, Bell has finally become an interesting character for me. He does really shady stuff and it's all about self preservation for him, but he does seem to have a heart deep down.

Unlike Lane, who was clearly playing Bell from the start and probably would have thrown blame onto him without a moment's hesitation. I imagine, whether it's next season or off screen, she'll try to pass the blame onto Bell for telling her to burn the files. 

I fully expect to continue seeing Lane next season, even though it'll be in a smaller capacity. I can't see her story ending here. 

It's good to see the season ending on a much more positive note than I thought. Lane is a really formidable villain and I'm not sure how they can top her without going cliche. Lane was a bit cliche herself, but Melina K acted her butt off.

Now, Conrad's dad is in the picture, and I assume he'll be the next villain-type character. 

Poor Mina and Micah. At least he survived, but I imagine this could impact Mina next season. I've been mostly annoyed at Dr. Austin. I think they've been trying to go a more House-like way with him, but it hasn't really worked. I don't like that he has a crush on Mina, and I'm not sure of his intentions with operating on Micah, but one small moment I did like was his speech to her about using her passion to become a better doctor. I wouldn't mind if he stuck as her mentor, rather as some love interest, especially with Micah still around. Plus, I love Mina and Micah together.

Devon's awesome and I'm glad he found his niche in the ER. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

So some belated questions about the Lane situation. Was her scam to mis-diagnose patients so that she could make money off treatments (which they didn't need)? Are there really not enough actual cancer patients out there to make money off of? I don't see how this would be so profitable, especially compared to the risk. Or was she trying to set herself up as a genius/savior who has some miraculous cancer-curing powers? Again, wouldn't that sooner or later attract attention and investigation?

Also didn't understand her cleanup efforts (burning her records). Surely there are also digital records, but she didn't seem to be doing anything computer-y ? And even if she had burned the stuff and erased the digital evidence, wouldn't that in itself have been a huge red flag for investigators? Surely they would have been able to figure out there were a lot of missing records. Unless she had blown up or burned up her offices, it would be obvious she had tampered with the records, right?

• Love 3

My unanswered questions about Lane's clinic are about the staff, and those records.  If those records are damning, i.e., showing that certain patients did not have cancer but were being treated, how did the staff not know that all along? 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Bell didn't have a choice. Once everyone figured out that Lane was faking cancer cases they have a legal obligation to call authorities. He can't stop that so all he can do is maneuver himself to come out on top. His cooperation with the FBI made it clear that Lane was intentionally doing something wrong rather than just being a bad doctor who misdiagnosed people because of incompetence. It made him look like a hero, kept the FBI from needing to dig around too much at the hospital, which he obviously wouldn't want and let him get ahead of any potential bad media.

Now I do think when he made the filing burning suggestion, he was hoping Lane would say she had nothing to hide and that if Lily and the new patient didn't have cancer they were horrible mistakes but he knew the moment he was presented with the evidence that Conrad and Pravesh wouldn't make those claims lightly. I think his ego was pleased to get attention from Lane and when she revealed she had files to burn, he realized that he had been played and was angry on top of just looking out for himself.

There's this moment when Lane embraces him that's focused on Bell's face and Bruce Greenwood gives you everything, hurt, betrayal, anger and realization that he can turn all of it to his advantage. He's always been one of the most underappreciated actors out there. I know this isn't the sort of show that's going to pick up Emmy nominations but he deserves one.

I noticed a moment when Bell turned away from Conrad, Pravesh, and Nic and had the slightest smile on his face, like he decided right then and there how to make this opportunity work for him. I'm thinking that it was deliberate to ask her to destroy the files, so that when she did, he could make himself/the hospital out to be the heroes. Well played sir, well played.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Also didn't understand her cleanup efforts (burning her records). Surely there are also digital records, but she didn't seem to be doing anything computer-y ? And even if she had burned the stuff and erased the digital evidence, wouldn't that in itself have been a huge red flag for investigators? Surely they would have been able to figure out there were a lot of missing records. Unless she had blown up or burned up her offices, it would be obvious she had tampered with the records, right?

What surprised me was the few files she actually took out of the file room. I would have expected a lot more of them since every time we saw the inside of the clinic, it was jammed full of patients. I was actually wondering how she was going to carry them all out...should have been several boxes full, shouldn't it have been? I actually was expecting her to get caught, but I though it would have been the "dynamic trio" who would have staked out the clinic. Boy, was I surprised to see Bell!

And didn't you just love Bell's face when he saw Conrad's father at the end of the conference table? I loved this ending....it would have sufficed if the show wasn't renewed but leaves lots of story lines for the next season!!!!! I cannot remember being so caught up in a series in a long time.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Bruce Greenwood gives you everything, hurt, betrayal, anger and realization that he can turn all of it to his advantage. He's always been one of the most underappreciated actors out there. I know this isn't the sort of show that's going to pick up Emmy nominations but he deserves one.

I have always loved every character he has ever played. Not that they were all likable ones either. He just "becomes" whoever he is tasked to playing in a role. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

So some belated questions about the Lane situation. Was her scam to mis-diagnose patients so that she could make money off treatments (which they didn't need)? Are there really not enough actual cancer patients out there to make money off of? I don't see how this would be so profitable, especially compared to the risk. Or was she trying to set herself up as a genius/savior who has some miraculous cancer-curing powers? Again, wouldn't that sooner or later attract attention and investigation?

Probably for the curing thing. If she treats them for a year or two, then voila! Cancer's gone! Her success rate ends up being a higher percentage than legit doctors, thus getting her more business.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

I have always loved every character he has ever played. Not that they were all likable ones either. He just "becomes" whoever he is tasked to playing in a role. 

I think he should get an emmy nomination. I remember him -- I think - on St. Elsewhere playing a young baddie doctor. He has come into the role here.  I think possibly he thought that the allegations the doctors were making were not air tight and would have subjected the hospital to a big mess. But if she actually got caught trying to dispose of files.... that would end it... and Lane fell for it. Though I also find it hard to believe she fell for it.  Or that she EVER would have had paper files that she kept on site at her clinic but...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I figured a small percentage of her patients never had cancer, otherwise all of her miracle cures would have attracted too much attention. But throw in a few here and there, and it seems like she's the brave doctor who is willing to try an extreme method/treatment (one she devised on her own) to save lives and she actually succeeds in a few cases! That would attract more attention and customers/patients. Plus, the Medicare money would be a nice bonus, if Priya's claim in the article was correct. Remember how Lane said something about how she (and Bell, IIRC) deserved to make a lot of money and be successful early on, because of all the hard work they put in? And again in today's episode when she was admiring Bell's apartment, she implied she wouldn't be able to afford a place like that (which I thought was odd, though).

As for taking the records, I assumed she would blame any missing or deleted files on Nic's B&E earlier. And I don't think she kept the original diagnoses in a digital file. Remember all the trouble Nic went through to get part of Lily's file earlier in the season? She ended up with a hard copy, not a digital file. Also, keeping the original stuff in paper files, would ensure anyone with access to her digital file (i.e. all her employees) wouldn't be able to find out the truth.

I'm curious if we'll see/hear more about Nic's "friend" who set her up plus the woman's coworkers in the next season.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Efzee said:

I'm curious if we'll see/hear more about Nic's "friend" who set her up plus the woman's coworkers in the next season.

If I had to bet, I'd say that Lane had prepared a way out, and for the "friend" to be the fall guy. Like that, Lane can get away with it but not out some half-baked last minute twist -let's be clear, if it means keeping Melina K. I'll forgive the half-baked last minute twist, but I'd prefer applaud a nicely foreshadowed solution.

1 hour ago, llewis823 said:

And with The Resident ends my "one and done" Bruce Greenwood curse, after Nowhere Man and The River.

• Love 1

I absolutely freaking LOVED this episode and am SO glad we don't have to wait TOO long for S2 (this fall!) ... interested to see which of the recurrings (vs. regulars) return. I have a feeling that Dr. Theo (ha! to whoever coined that) may not be back because it seems like his character really reached its pinnacle in that scene with Okafor. I thought that was a fabulous scene, by the way. 

I want more Micah and more Mina/Micah cuteness. 

I confess to never having been that huge a Logan fan as a GG fanatic but Matt C has absolutely and completely won me over here ...

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Efzee said:

Bingo!  I thought about Nic's "friend", too, and the others at Lane's clinic.  How about this scenario, though?  Lane is jailed awaiting her trial...she contacts Nic's "friend" with instructions on purging other files, and possibly have her be her 'ears'.  Of course, that's if the show runners decide to expand that character and keep Melina K. 

However, probably not since Conrad's Dad is on the Board and will inject a lot of great story lines, including his relationship with his son and how he will handle Bell.  

Other characters:  

- Dr. (Theo) Austin....I'm not feeling him so much.  Quite a bit over-the-top, weird, and (IMO) the character doesn't seem to fit Malcolm-Jamal Warner very well.  And, what was that look on his face when he looked in on Mina and Micah at the end?  Concern for Mina because he likes her?  DOES he really 'like' her, or does he want to replace her?  I don't trust him.  He can go.

- Mina, Mina, Mina...your emotions are showing.  Not a bad thing, but I don't want this added element to her character to soften her to the point of losing our dry, confident and immensely skilled surgeon. She may have to break with Micah, and will convince herself that she can't lose control like that again.  

I'm really looking forward to next season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wineaux said:

Bingo!  I thought about Nic's "friend", too, and the others at Lane's clinic.  How about this scenario, though?  Lane is jailed awaiting her trial...she contacts Nic's "friend" with instructions on purging other files, and possibly have her be her 'ears'.  Of course, that's if the show runners decide to expand that character and keep Melina K. 

However, probably not since Conrad's Dad is on the Board and will inject a lot of great story lines, including his relationship with his son and how he will handle Bell.  

Other characters:  

- Dr. (Theo) Austin....I'm not feeling him so much.  Quite a bit over-the-top, weird, and (IMO) the character doesn't seem to fit Malcolm-Jamal Warner very well.  And, what was that look on his face when he looked in on Mina and Micah at the end?  Concern for Mina because he likes her?  DOES he really 'like' her, or does he want to replace her?  I don't trust him.  He can go.

- Mina, Mina, Mina...your emotions are showing.  Not a bad thing, but I don't want this added element to her character to soften her to the point of losing our dry, confident and immensely skilled surgeon. She may have to break with Micah, and will convince herself that she can't lose control like that again.  

I'm really looking forward to next season.

Conrad will likely have a more substantial role at the hospital as this is what Daddy said to him in the limo:

"You're my son. I'd do anything for you.
This is a...new beginning between us.
And I have a plan in the works for our future."

That's providing he accepts a relationship with him. Although $100k does carry a bit of payback.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Could be wrong of course, but I figured that when Bell heard that Nic, Devon, and Conrad had already called the FBI he felt trapped because he knew he'd be implicated, so he quickly figured out a way to cooperate with law enforcement early by suggesting a sting, thereby shifting all of the blame to Lane and saving his hide.  Deliciously smarmy move.

This is a great series.  Like the rest of you I'm looking forward to Season 2 in the fall.

• Love 12

Wow- that was an amazingly satisfying and clever ending to the first season.  I have loved/hated this show from the beginning (just like 911 and Chicago Med), getting frustrated with the writing and the ridiculous character behaviors.  (I will never understand why Nic told Lane she was investigating her and coming after her. Just shut up and do it. You can gloat later.) What has kept me watching are the well-written characters as well as the good acting.  I was a fan of Matt Czuchey in The Good Wife. And have always enjoyed Bruce Greenwood.  For those of you seeking more of his work, try to find a 1997 Canadian film called "The Sweet Hereafter." It's not an easy film to watch (it's about the aftermath of a bus accident that kills a lot of children in a small town) but the script, acting, and directing are terrific. 

Anyway, like most of you, I thought they recovered nicely with this season's wrap-up, and I'm looking forward to next year. 

• Love 1

What a great episode to end the season with. Bell is the highlight of this show. He's a jerk and not a good person but he's not outright evil so a good balance. I do think he was genuinely shocked about Lane diagnosing healthy people. 

I like the way the Lane story wrapped up so would be good with it not coming back next year. 

I really love the relationships between Nic, Conrad, Prevesh, Mina and the ER doc. It built throughout the season pretty naturally and feels authentic. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Mina/Micah are adorable (a description she’d hate—one reason she’s my favorite character). Too bad she’ll probably manage to blow up the relationship somehow. IRL I suspect there’s no way in hell she would have been allowed to participate in his surgery.

Really want Lane back next season so 1) we get to see her in the orange jumpsuit, 2) Nic gets to really tell her off, and 3) we get at least some of her backstory. There had to be a reason for her to become this evil! Plus, Melina is awesome.

The “burn the charts” thing seemed dumb to me. It’s 2018 and her clinic has NO computerized records, seriously?!

When Lane headed off to get the charts, I wondered whether Bell had set her up or whether he was really going to help in her coverup. Glad he came through and sicced the FBI on her. I still don’t think he’s completely evil, just has a huge ego.

Can’t wait to see what sort of mayhem Conrad’s dad creates next season. I do feel sorry for Bell—he’d pointed out to Lane that he took a loss on his house in Buckhead, then with the higher CEO salary he was able to afford the new place with the fantastic city view. Guess he’s gonna lose that, too. 

Slightly OT: we didn’t see Mina’s signature wireless earbuds in this episode. Ever since she first wore them I’ve been trying to figure out what brand/model they are, and haven’t been able to find any that look exactly like them. Does anyone know what they are?

• Love 1

I also think the look on Bell's face when he saw Conrad's father was in large part because - dammit! - he can't get rid of nor get revenge on the threesome now.  Well he might try for Devon? But I'm sure his burning hatred is for Conrad, then Nic.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Jlina said:

I also think the look on Bell's face when he saw Conrad's father was in large part because - dammit! - he can't get rid of nor get revenge on the threesome now.  Well he might try for Devon? But I'm sure his burning hatred is for Conrad, then Nic.

I have always had the impression that Bell gave Conrad more leeway to challenge him than the others, as though he couldn't fire Conrad because of his rich and powerful dad.  And that Conrad was aware of that, so pushed him more aggressively than he would otherwise.  I don't know to what extent I'm just imagining that.  Did anyone else notice that?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

The “burn the charts” thing seemed dumb to me. It’s 2018 and her clinic has NO computerized records, seriously?!

I feel like a clinic like that would have ALL computerized records.  It is a bit of a stretch that she thought she could just carry out a box. But I can forgive it, because it was awesome to watch her get taken down like that.

• Love 2

oh that was wonderful!!!!! What a superbly satisfying end to the season! The Lane and Bell face off I had been waiting for and it did not disappoint!

In the scene where the Dynamic Trio tell Bell they called the FBI you could see him thinking and then a tiny muscle movement in his face when he realised there was a clean way out of this for him. Excellent acting by someone who obviously can act! The way Bell handled this was very true to character for me. I believe he was shocked Lane was diagnosing patients, felt pleased he could come out of this cleanly but there was perhaps a tiny part of him that was sad it had to come to this. Self interest and Chastain (which he sees as an extension of him in a way I feel) first and foremost. 

I also love how Lane switches between a psycho who looks sincere and the understated vicious look she gives Bell at the end when she's arrested! 

GREAT GREAT GREAT show !!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, izabella said:

I have always had the impression that Bell gave Conrad more leeway to challenge him than the others, as though he couldn't fire Conrad because of his rich and powerful dad.  And that Conrad was aware of that, so pushed him more aggressively than he would otherwise.  I don't know to what extent I'm just imagining that.  Did anyone else notice that?

IIRC, he was surprised to learn from Claire who Conrad's father was. He might have faked it, though.

I think there's something personal. Bell is a cynic, he'd despise a goody-two-shoes who'd be preaching all the time, but Conrad is ready to use dirty means if it's to save his patients. He's giving as good as he gets, he's a worthy adversary. There's some cat and mouse going on imo, with Bell waiting to see Conrad drop his crusades and illusions to become like him. And maybe, a very little part of him hopes he won't? I was wondering if something happened between them in the past.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I feel like a clinic like that would have ALL computerized records.  It is a bit of a stretch that she thought she could just carry out a box. But I can forgive it, because it was awesome to watch her get taken down like that.

I kept telling my husband, "One box? Just one little box?" thinking that if she has been doing this stuff, she'd have a lot more than that. Because even if she wasn't doing the super heavy-handed stuff like with Lily on every patient, you know she had to be doing some other not-so-heavy-handed stuff to others that would make her more money but not be as detectable as the Lily-type treatments. Also, there would be electronic records too. 

Bell setting her up completely surprised me and I don't surprise easily. I did think SOMEONE was going to catch her in the files, but I was thinking local police, guards or even Conrad, Nic and Devon.

I have also always liked Melina from back when she was main character on that show Providence, where her mother's ghost talked to her all the time. I hope they do figure some way out to get justice for her victims while still keeping her on the show somehow, altho that would be pretty imaginative writing if they can.

Mina. Just love her. In first few episodes, thought I was gonna hate her. But by the 3rd episode, I turned to my husband and said, "I just love her!".

Can't wait for next season.

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 3
On 5/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, izabella said:

Bell is all about himself. He is neither good or evil. In the final scene with Lane he seemed a little surprised about her reaction to the revelations. Then when he gave her recommendations like take & rewrite the records rather than destroy them something didn't seem right. Lane will be back for revenge. She probably has enough working knowledge of surgical mishaps that will come into play next year. 

I was surprised the team went to Bell so fast without knowing in full that Lane would be/was 'taken care of'.

Dr Austin coming back next year?

• Love 1

The season finale was a great as the pilot was crappy. So glad I kept watching. That was kind of delicious. 

I did not like Rory's boyfriend Logan, and it took me years to not think Cary on The Good Wife was icky, but for some reason, I really like the actor in this role. The cowboy doctor is so cliche at this point, I really watched just to exercise my eyeballs with constant rolling. But I like Conrad, and I agree that he and the rest of the cast built a great chemistry and I was rooting for all of them. 

Unpopular opinion - I kinda like Dr. Theo Huxtable. I'm a complicated woman, lol. 

• Love 4

I was totally Team Logan on GG, so this show in our house is referred to as Logan Huntsberger, M.D.  I was excited to see Coach Biest from Glee in this episode.  I've always liked her.  

I knew Bell was going to turn against Lane.  Why wouldn't he?  He had no idea what she was doing, and by helping her he would have made himself an accomplice.  By turning her in, he preserves his reputation and the hospital's.  And, she's a monster.  Having seen multiple people IRL struggle through chemo, the idea that she could give someone that poison to boost her own reputation.  Ugh.  

I liked the little look between Logan and his dad at the end of the episode.  

I like Dr. Theo.  It seems like that might not be a popular opinion.  I liked his character on Major Crimes, so maybe I'm just projecting.  

• Love 7
On 5/15/2018 at 11:18 AM, sempervivum said:

Lane's reputation was built from treating and cursing the incurable. It's kind of like the Cancer Treatments of America...or whatever they're calling themselves these days (chances are you've seen a commercial or two)...they have a high cure rate, but what their commercials don't tell you is that they have a high cure rate because IF you are terminal they won't take your case. If you are in later stages or have a rare/aggressive form of cancer, they also won't take those cases. So sure, they're awesome---assuming they'll give you the time of day. In Lane's case, she built her reputation on ensuring healthy people stayed sick long enough to be cured and off they went singing her praises. 

I'll be interested to see how her staff is handled, if at all, in season 2. I'd like to see Nic's friend in jail too because she clearly knew something wasn't right. And digital records? I doubt Lane kept much, if at all digitally, and that is why faxing and sending over records was always such a burden. 

• Like 1
On 5/15/2018 at 2:51 PM, Happy Harpy said:

If I had to bet, I'd say that Lane had prepared a way out, and for the "friend" to be the fall guy. Like that, Lane can get away with it but not out some half-baked last minute twist -let's be clear, if it means keeping Melina K. I'll forgive the half-baked last minute twist, but I'd prefer applaud a nicely foreshadowed solution.

And with The Resident ends my "one and done" Bruce Greenwood curse, after Nowhere Man and The River.

Oh Harpy, I still cry over Nowhere man.  I am going to go dig out my DVDs and binge away.  I fell so in love with BG in that show.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Check out the movie Double Jeopardy  to see Bruce Greenwood play a sleazy character quite well.

Someone upthread wondered if there are enough cancer patients; when Mrs. Torqy was getting chemo for lymphoma (she survives and thrives well) the chemo room as well as the waiting room were always jumping. Sadly there seem to be an endless supply...

Re the paper patient files, Mrs. T and I see different docs in the same practice. My doc is appx. 50 and he uses a laptop for my records. Mrs. T's doc, early 70's, though a very good doc, is old-school and writes in a paper chart and will give her a paper scrip on request.

Am I the only one who thinks Greenwood has rattlesnake-looking eyes in certain lighting and camera angles?

• Love 1
On 5/15/2018 at 10:24 PM, preeya said:

Conrad will likely have a more substantial role at the hospital as this is what Daddy said to him in the limo:

"You're my son. I'd do anything for you.
This is a...new beginning between us.
And I have a plan in the works for our future."

That's providing he accepts a relationship with him. Although $100k does carry a bit of payback.

I presume that he'll get the 100k back once Nic shows up for trial or has her charges dropped. 

Not sure that the hospital would have taken her back so quickly with charges hanging over her, even if they're presumably going to be dropped now that Lane has been arrested. 

• Like 1

Just started watching this show hoping to catch up on Hulu. Finished season one, on two. It's not ER (I've watched that through on hulu again) and I miss the more involved stories and characters, but did enjoy Lily's story. They made Nevin way too dumb and naive and some things were way too contrived but I kept watching with little FF. Does it get better in further seasons? I stopped watching Chicago Med because of the writing and "soapy" feel (although I loved Dr Charles) and just wondered what to expect. I was going to give it one more season to see. 

19 hours ago, debraran said:

Just started watching this show hoping to catch up on Hulu. Finished season one, on two. It's not ER (I've watched that through on hulu again) and I miss the more involved stories and characters, but did enjoy Lily's story. They made Nevin way too dumb and naive and some things were way too contrived but I kept watching with little FF. Does it get better in further seasons? I stopped watching Chicago Med because of the writing and "soapy" feel (although I loved Dr Charles) and just wondered what to expect. I was going to give it one more season to see. 

It gets better - of the three medical shows I watch (Resident, Good Doctor, and New Amsterdam), it is easily the best one.

8 hours ago, bros402 said:

It gets better - of the three medical shows I watch (Resident, Good Doctor, and New Amsterdam), it is easily the best one.

Thanks, I watched N Amsterdam until last year and the Good Doctor until the Covid break. ER has been my favorite (first 6 years) but I really want to connect to the characters and I hope to have  that happen more soon. My daughter laughed I connected with the person who passed away more. ; )

15 hours ago, debraran said:

Thanks, I watched N Amsterdam until last year and the Good Doctor until the Covid break. ER has been my favorite (first 6 years) but I really want to connect to the characters and I hope to have  that happen more soon. My daughter laughed I connected with the person who passed away more. ; )

Get back into New Amsterdam, it is hilariously bad

• LOL 1