Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/7/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the welcomes!  Glad to be here.  I've been reading for a little while and after today's episode, I just came straight from Youtube and had to say something.

Meghan's self-description is the badass, tough chick who smokes cigars and also throws a tantrum whenever anyone disagrees with her.   

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Wings said:

She does not see that she needs to "improve" or change anything.  She loves being this way. 

She is a 30something toddler who throws temper tantrums to get attention and get her way.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, pachebo said:

Tuesday's show - Whoopi (during the Gabrielle Union segment talking about rape ) "the safest place to be is right where you are standing!"  wtf??

I think what she meant is your situation could change at any moment and if you were safe at the moment good for you.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Meghan just wanted to talk about the art without focusing on the social commentary about it.

Meghan was an art history major.  This topic was in her wheelhouse.  She could have talked about the history of art being a form of social and political commentary which has provoked social change.  I guess for Meghan art is all about the "pretty pictures" and she does not want to think or talk about the ideas behind it.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, Ohboy said:

You say that "it's not an easy decision to make".  Whoopi basically said the same thing about having an abortion and that it is a very difficult decision to make between the woman and her doctor. Even Sunny who is personally pro life, doesn't have a problem with other people having an abortion. To me, these views make absolutely no sense.  If there is nothing wrong with having an abortion, why would it be a difficult decision to make? And in Sunny's case, how can you be pro life, but be fine with terminating a pregnancy and ending the life of an unborn child. Both Whoopi and Sunny make no sense to me.

Sunny's position makes perfect sense. The anti-abortion sentiment is founded on Christian principles and while she prescribes to  Christianity, she understands that there needs to be a separation of church and state. In a land where everyone is free to believe and practice whatever religion they want, they should not be limited by laws that are created from one particular religion that not all follow. Sunny doesn't believe in abortion for herself, but she also doesn't believe that the government has a right to enforce Christian values on all Americans. If someone doesn't believe in God, you are imposing Christian beliefs which limit their right to their body and that is constitutionally infringing on their right to believe in something other than Christianity. Even in Islam, different schools of thoughts vary from (4-6 months) but Islam allows abortion for a number of reasons which include medial reasons to protect the mother, pregnancies that arise out of rape or incest, they allow abortions if a woman feels she's not in some manner capable of raising a child (perhaps she's in an abusive marriage, perhaps she can't afford to take care of a child). And to that, abortions are not tax payer funded so what basis does the government or other private citizens have the right to decide what a woman does with her body? A big reason why religions have stressed the sanctity of marriage and oppose gay marriage is because is threatens procreation and the spread of religion. We can make it seem like a purely moral issue about human life, but that doesn't really fly when the conversation is about an unborn life taking precedence over a human life that already exists and functions in this world.

As for Whoopi's point (and to your bolded), you are very much over simplifying the matter. While there may be  women who may make the decision with ease, there's a lot of reasons why someone may struggle with the decision to have an abortion. It's not that cut and dry and it's disingenuous to think that any private citizen cares more for a woman's body than what she cares for her own. Saying that if it's not wrong means that it shouldn't be a difficult decision - we see everyday examples of why that is patently false logic. People end relationships every day for reasons (and there's nothing wrong with that and they're entitled to leave a relationship for whatever reason) but that doesn't mean that it can't be a hard and emotionally draining experience for that person. Was there anything wrong with a slave wanting their freedom? Of course not...but then why didn't all of them try to escape? Maybe it's because people were literally risking their lives in trying to escape...I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a difficult decision to make - one that some did and others didn't. It's not wrong for a woman in an abusive relationship to leave but then why do so many women stay for so long? Because they're afraid, they're controlled - to make the decision to walk away exposes all of those fears and makes them scared of what the repercussions may be if they get caught. Again, not an easy decision.

Edited by RHJunkie
Clarifying sentence.
  • Love 24

Part of me is happy someone is sort-of challenging Whoopis nonsensicals but the other part of me is turned off because of the delivery.

Meanwhile, they ate up what precious air time they are given with that whole MM/Sara/Whoopi mix up that made them all look bad. Sara was clear on her point and was “diffusing” the situation by validating MMs point and MM still wasn’t appreciative.

• Love 10

What I found very interesting is that Jake Tapper basically reaffirmed the reality that Trump is a liar, which the ladies on the View do everyday (and Meghan argues with), and yet no peep from Meghan. She's all smiles and love. Guess that buttering up works.

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She's the most nasty to Joy,

...and from Day One she was gunning for her.   It's almost as if Princess Meghan's contract requires it.  Meghan's lucky that Joy is an adult, a professional, and a stand-up comic who has experienced the best of heckling.  Like most of us, Joy knows everything is temporary.

Edited by Former Nun
Didn't want to merge.
  • Love 23
28 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

While I'm sure there are women who may make the decision with ease,

Sherri?     (Sorry for being flippant--and a bit mean, perhaps the devil made me do it.)

• Love 6

Oh and I did find it funny that Sara and Meghan said they were uncomfortable with the music video. Sara expanded on this, but Meghan just wanted to talk about the art without focusing on the social commentary about it.

Excellent point, @CheezyXpressed.

I'd like to take this one step further. For Sara, Meghan and any other white person who is 'uncomfortable' with Donald Glover's "This is America" video, I'd like to suggest they try being a black person in America for just one day. After said experience, we can all regroup and discuss the meaning of 'being uncomfortable.' 

What a grotesquely privileged comment to make...

And if you haven't seen "This is America," I highly recommend not only watching it, but reading the abundant analysis, too; it brings the work into sharper focus. (This is one of my favorite takes: https://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/2018/05/this-is-america-donald-glover.html?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork)

And thank you to everyone here for calling out the misinformation MM was trying to spread with regard to the Iran deal. It is appalling that these women, who  bring in very comfortable salaries to be on national television, cannot be bothered to be informed on the topics for which they are paid to speak. 

• Love 23
(edited)

As Sara was talking about sugar in food, Meg had to interrupt to say she uses doordash for McDonalds.  Not necessary you twat, wait your turn.  

She makes snide, passive aggressive comments just loud enough to be barely heard.  MM, well you must know (haughty).  Whoopi. no, I am saying....  The details of that exchange aren't important, she does this all the time.  My point is, it doesn't ever end with her.  She looks for opportunity to get in a dig.   

4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

...and from Day One she was gunning for her.   It's almost as if Princess Meghan's contract requires it.  Meghan's lucky that Joy is an adult, a professional, and a stand-up comic who has experienced the best of heckling.  Like most of us, Joy knows everything is temporary.

Joy is her target because she has no sense of humor, as we know.  She takes everything Joy says seriously.  

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Jesus, Meggy was seriously out of control today, and lying her ass off.  She kept repeating "unmarked bills, unmarked bills." That's a total lie.  There were zero bills given to Iran, it all involved bank transfers.  And none of the money was given to Iran, it was Iran's money that had been sequestered in US banks, and the deal just allowed Iran to get access to their own money.  She really is a little Republican tool.  Emphasis on the tool.

Hopefully someone will set her straight in her life outside. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Ms. Anthrope said:

Excellent point, @CheezyXpressed.

I'd like to take this one step further. For Sara, Meghan and any other white person who is 'uncomfortable' with Donald Glover's "This is America" video, I'd like to suggest they try being a black person in America for just one day. After said experience, we can all regroup and discuss the meaning of 'being uncomfortable.' 

What a grotesquely privileged comment to make...

Privileged sounds better. I was initially going to say that it's a very white person statement to make, but thought that may come off wrong.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Jesus, Meggy was seriously out of control today, and lying her ass off.  She kept repeating "unmarked bills, unmarked bills." That's a total lie.  There were zero bills given to Iran, it all involved bank transfers.  And none of the money was given to Iran, it was Iran's money that had been sequestered in US banks, and the deal just allowed Iran to get access to their own money.  She really is a little Republican tool.  Emphasis on the tool.

I am curious does she know she's lying or is she just spouting off what her tribe believes?

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It actually was money because there is no banking relationship between the two countries. Pre revolution, Iran had ordered $400 million in weapons, and that was never filled. So the transfer was the original money plus interest. It was Iran's money.

Those are the deals you make. You don't get everything you want. 

STFU Meghan. You are an ignorant, shrill twat.

• Love 14
(edited)
3 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

It actually was money because there is no banking relationship between the two countries. Pre revolution, Iran had ordered $400 million in weapons, and that was never filled. So the transfer was the original money plus interest. It was Iran's money.

Since so many of us here know this how is it that nobody at that table know this?  I don't watch the View to be informed or enlightened about anything but there are plenty of viewers who might not be aware of things and when the View lets Meghan give patently wrong information it does so much harm.  

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 11

Someone needs to put a shock collar on Meghan and give Joy the button to push whenever MM starts screeching or talking over someone else who is trying to make a point.

• Love 23
(edited)

I think Meghan needs to visit an art musuem because art has always been intermingled with sociology, psychology, and the thinkings of people in a certain time period.  It's a time capsulle capturing the nuances and perspective of a particular artist in that time frame.  Contemporary art musuems especially are filled with symbolic works of art that help spur people to think and come to their own conclusions as to what the particular work of art is trying to tell them.  Meghan, based on what she's shown us thus far, seems unable to think outside the box nor to have a thought of her own that isn't influenced by those around her (much like a majority of people).

With that said, thank gosh for the fast forward button :)  You know it's bad when Whoopi told Meghan to basically shut up and let SUNNY finish her thought.  If that doesn't say anything, I don't know what will lol

Jake T... dreamboat :)

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

I am curious does she know she's lying or is she just spouting off what her tribe believes?

She's married to a plagiarizer, so I think she does know,  and just doesn't care. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Sherri?     (Sorry for being flippant--and a bit mean, perhaps the devil made me do it.)

I'm just trying to account for all possible experiences. Though I realize that my sentence was contradictory by saying 'I'm sure' and then following it 'there may'. I don't know personally know of any women who made the decision easily and even if a women projects a manner that appears to be with ease doesn't necessarily mean that it's truthful to her internal experiences. I'll correct my comment to say that while it's possible that there may be women who do so with ease, many certainly don't.

• Love 3

I am planning to see today's episode this evening - I love Jake Tapper!!

Regarding discussion about abortion.  I've always been of the mind that I would never get an abortion - I personally don't think it is right.  HOWEVER,  it is not my job to tell someone else what to do.  I once asked a leader of my study group from church about that specific thing.  He said to me that if someone came to me and said that they were thinking of getting an abortion, then asked me what I would do.  As a christian, my responsibility was to tell them what I would do, NOT what they should do.  Because ultimately, that person has to decide (free will).  My responsibility was done as a christian when I share what I would do.  So unless every single female thinking of getting an abortion comes to me asking for my input (which I don't is going to happen), it is their business NOT mine.  So I guess you could say that I believe that a person has to make their own decision because God gave us free will to decide on our own.  I think that some zealots forget that little detail.

• Love 10

I'm not even snarking: Did Meghan have a nervous breakdown right before they went on? She seemed on the verge of tears from the get-go and Sara and Whoopi were speaking to her like she was five. Was the weird mix-up from producers in their earpieces? (Rosie O'Donnell refused to wear one and said that in her season, she convinced Joy and Elisabeth to ditch theirs as well)

Whoopi had a point about Kanye wanting to be Gambino, but she lost me with the revisionist history that Kanye saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people" was a great moment in art. (I think in HINDSIGHT he had a point, but at the time it was blasted in the media as shameful) His album that year was fantastic, though.

My friend flirted with Jake Tapper on Twitter and called him "Dad" and he wrote back "sonnnn" so I WILL LOVE JAKE TAPPER FOREVER.

• Love 7

She also made the remark that implied the entire show (minus her or courses) is “ok” funding terrorists. No one said this.

More undermining of the show, her coworkers and the network. 

• Love 17
59 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I'll correct my comment to say that while it's possible that there may be women who do so with ease, many certainly don't.

I was just being snarky because many of us were PISSED at Sherri's nonchalance about "so many she couldn't count."  She's a rare bird--to have many and then be so ig-nernt as to make it some sort of comedy bit.  Her many abortions probably damaged her system so much she wasn't able to conceive when she wanted to.

• Love 9

Elsa got sooo confused when Sara was trying to agree with her that, that when something happens under a presidency, you cannot extract the President's affect on that something.  She used the economy as an example and that totally messed Elsa up, so much so, that she went into one of her little childish rants.  She really lost her shit saying that The View supports financing terrorist organizations, if they believe in the Iran deal.  WTF?

Joy did try to say the money was Iran's, no one could hear because of the mess with Sara, Whoopi and Elsa, whereby Whoopi was trying to explain things to Elsa.

Whoopi did get pissed off when she went for Obama again.  Except Whoopi basically said Obama paid the money because it had been done before, she mentioned Iran Contra, and said deals have to be made.  So she didn't help things much, I believe.

• Love 13

Those who think they would never have an abortion haven't walked in the shoes of too many others.  Also, those who consider it "life" at the moment of conception often support  abortion in cases of rape or incest (but nothing more).  Do those assaults devalue that little "life"?

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I was just being snarky because many of us were PISSED at Sherri's nonchalance about "so many she couldn't count."  She's a rare bird--to have many and then be so ig-nernt as to make it some sort of comedy bit.  Her many abortions probably damaged her system so much she wasn't able to conceive when she wanted to.

Oh shoot, i didn't even realize that about her so the full context of your comment went over my head, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Why is it that everyone else can have discussion at the table without losing their damn mind?  Meghan is incapable of discussing a topic without going nuts and throwing a baby fit. It's pretty damn embarrassing. You can tell the other women are sick of it.

Today was one of her worst days . She wouldn't let anyone finish their thoughts. 

I changed the channel.  About 15 minutes in the screeching frayed my last nerve, plus MM refused to stop talking when someone else would attempt to jump into one of her diatribes, yet when someone else was speaking, she would just jump right in, silence the speaker and retake control.  I do not understand why Whoopie allows this, or why the show doesn't sit her down and give her a talking to.  The panel is composed of FIVE women, not the ONE shrieking airhead who will not give an inch.  I loathe her.

• Love 18

Just saw today's episode. Meghan being her childish idiotic self today. Why can't you let other's finish their thought? Why are you incapable of disagreeing with someone without raising your voice and being condescending? She picks and chooses what she wants to use as a sticking point. Sunny brings up America pulling out of a deal that was originally negotiated with its allies and when Sunny was listing the name of the countries who were part of this deal and get to China and Russia, she goes in as though the panel was calling either of those countries their allies. How is it that this woman thinks she knows politics and it completely goes over her head when she hears the names of actual American allies? Girl sit down. 

And did she really say that it's not about the politics but the art?  Art is completely wasted on you if you ignore the fact that the art is being used as the vehicle to carry a profound message. The imagery to the music video was genius, it was meant to be profound and it was meant to make you think - not think about the shadows, shapes and lighting, but the actual significance of the story being told. That music video is one of the most profound art I've seen come out of the industry in such a long time and this woman doesn't even get it. 

I will say in Canada, or at least Toronto we've had the calorie count on the menus for at least a couple of years now and I can say that the McDonalds and other fast food joints are still packed. It's not meant to be a shame thing. It helps someone make a more informed decisions IF they're trying to be conscious about their calorie intake. Think of how helpful it is to the many people who are trying to be healthy and/or lose weight and watch their daily calorie intake - this is a great tool for them to be able to go out and have a social life and eat out and still having the opportunity to keep themselves on track. 

Every politician has an issue with the media. And the media is bias Meghan, including Fox. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I will say in Canada, or at least Toronto we've had the calorie count on the menus for at least a couple of years now and I can say that the McDonalds and other fast food joints are still packed. It's not meant to be a shame thing. It helps someone make a more informed decisions IF they're trying to be conscious about their calorie intake. Think of how helpful it is to the many people who are trying to be healthy and/or lose weight and watch their daily calorie intake - this is a great tool for them to be able to go out and have a social life and eat out and still having the opportunity to keep themselves on track. 

Exactly!  If you don't want to know or don't care then don't read the info. But if you're a conscientious label reader like me I'd like to know before ordering a meal.  It has nothing to do with bodegas or poverty. That is a different issue. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She needs to take a leave of absence from the show and be with her family. She's embarrassing herself worse and worse as time goes on. 

True dat (as the kids say.  When I answered one of my grown son's texts with that, he thought I'd lost my mind.  Lol)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Someone needs to put a shock collar on Meghan and give Joy the button to push whenever MM starts screeching or talking over someone else who is trying to make a point.

Yes! This gave me the best laugh all day. When I read this I instantly thought of the South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut movie. It all fits so perfectly. RBM is Cartman, and he gets the shocking chip implanted in his head, the way it goes off and he screeches which causes it to shock again until he rolls away howling like a banshee...yes, that is perfect for Meghan. It worked on Cartman it can work on her. Calm the fuckin down Meghan.

• Love 10

I'm not sure how calorie counts are required on menus, but they are all over the Chicago area. Seriously, it totally changed the way I eat. Seeing something on the menu with a healthy name used to make me order it. Seeing that same healthy-named item as one of the highest in calories and fat made me reconsider.

If you don't care about nutritional information, ignore it. But if it makes a difference in what you're ordering, it's a godsend.

I visited somewhere recently that didn't have the calorie counts on the menu, and I felt like I was having unsafe sex. 

• Love 21
3 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think Meghan needs to visit an art musuem because art has always been intermingled with sociology, psychology, and the thinkings of people in a certain time period.  It's a time capsulle capturing the nuances and perspective of a particular artist in that time frame.  Contemporary art musuems especially are filled with symbolic works of art that help spur people to think and come to their own conclusions as to what the particular work of art is trying to tell them

I was no art major but I liked having art courses, not doing art but learning about world art through history.  Everyone should know that art is a valid vehicle for self expression.

2 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I visited somewhere recently that didn't have the calorie counts on the menu, and I felt like I was having unsafe sex. 

Good one!

1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Today was one of her worst days . She wouldn't let anyone finish their thoughts. 

I have to watch again on Hulu.  I literally slept through it.  I saw Jake Tapper, yum, being introduced and then ...................................snore.  It just shows you how much she screams that I am now getting used to it.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well it looks like I will have to wait until cocktail time to watch this shit fest. Thanks for the warning my friends. Burp. 

You better have a couple extras.

• Love 8

Yes, the calorie count discussion was stupid, especially suggesting it was meant to shame people.  And why wouldn't you want to know the calories, sodium content, etc?  You can still decide to eat it, but you can make a knowledgeable choice.

Wonder if Elsa will retweet this article?

Whoopi schools Elsa

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm not sure how calorie counts are required on menus, but they are all over the Chicago area. Seriously, it totally changed the way I eat. Seeing something on the menu with a healthy name used to make me order it. Seeing that same healthy-named item as one of the highest in calories and fat made me reconsider.

If you don't care about nutritional information, ignore it. But if it makes a difference in what you're ordering, it's a godsend.

Calorie counts are not required.  It is a plan to draw people who are watching calories to your restaurant.  It makes it handy to order if you are counting calories or carbs.  I think it is a good idea.

• Love 6