Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/7/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Okay. I didn’t find anything wrong in what Sunny said about abortion. It wasn’t anything she hadn’t said before. What was lost in the cross talk was that she said that Iowa needs to present their case before the Supreme Court.

Sara was the smart one today when talking about Planned Parenthood.

Amanda can just shut up about her cavalier and ignorant statements that poor women can just waltz into the drug store and buy Plan B.??????

• Love 9

At least Amanda didn't screech, or yell, when she didn't get her way.  That's all I got from her.

Whoopi said it best when she said what she chooses to do with her body is her business and no one else's.. and that anti abortion people aren't being made to have abortion.

For me, I think life begins the moment the baby can breathe and live on it's own once outside the womb.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

At least Amanda didn't screech, or yell, when she didn't get her way.  That's all I got from her.

Whoopi said it best when she said what she chooses to do with her body is her business and no one else's.. and that anti abortion people aren't being made to have abortion.

For me, I think life begins the moment the baby can breathe and live on it's own once outside the womb.

What I don’t get is why people like Whoopi think getting rid of an unwanted pregnancy by abortion is fine, but throwing an unwanted newborn into a dumpster is horrible. To me they are essentially the same thing .

• Love 1

Women (or girls) that throw their babies in dumpsters is very rare. In addition - there are laws in place they can take the babies to different places, like fire stations, and give them up.

• Love 19
16 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

When I was pregnant with my son I had two false negatives.  My pregnancy wasn't confirmed till I was past 6 weeks.  This Iowa abortion law is way out of line.  And yes Amanda there are people who are wanting to legislate birth control. Sarah was right to bring up Planned Parenthood. Those wanting to close them will make birth control harder for women to obtain affordably.

Sara was the MVP and my hero during this conversation.  She kept insisting that the mother's life is the life that should be the concern, yet hers is the one that these people don't care about.  Good for her.  I bet token Republican thought Miss Iowa would be on her side.  And how great that Sara isn't a stereotype.

• Love 19
(edited)
6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I still cringe that I was that person.

Oh, shoot, Red, an 18yo usually doesn't have the life experience to form critical opinions.  If we still see everything the way we did as a teenager we haven't grown.  Don't cringe!  I'm sure we all have changed our views about one thing or another.

On a lighter note, was it Michael who said the theme of the Met Gala was about religion?  I cracked up when I read this morning that the theme was Heavenly Bodies.  Um, that's a bit different.

(Oops, I guess it was a Catholic theme. The clothes featured a lot of crosses.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

Perhaps the issue with whoppie is her (what I perceive)  cavalier attitude towards pregnancy given that her family seems to have a cycle of teen pregnancies. Yes, she managed to become a self made millionaire but it seems to stop there with her child and grandchild being teen moms and mooching off  Whoopie. I try hard to put myself in others shoes before I judge, but you'd think at some point the idea birth control would have been at the forefront of conversation with your teen when such a cycle seems to endure. i just have a hard time taking any "advice" Whoppie spews out. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

What people forget is that Rudy became the de facto leader of our country because he stupidly refused to change his headquarters, which was recommended after the first attack, and was forced out on the streets for his own protection.  He literally couldn't help but be out there - he was just trying to save his own life like any other New Yorker that day.  But what made him the leader was the fact that our true president was so weak, and after being filmed frozen in fear with bulging eyes, he was whisked away and unavailable the entire day.  Maybe even the next day, too?  I'm foggy on that memory.  Either way, Rudy was certainly more of a leader on that particular day.  But let's not get into the fact that so many firefighters died because the city didn't provide them with updated equipment, in other words the same quality the police department had.

There's an absolutely brilliant documentary of the day.  Two Irish brothers were simply shadowing a fire department which just happened to be in the down town area on another call.  You can see one of the planes flying overhead before it hit the building.  They followed that station into the scene.  It wasn't visually graphic, but they orally described the scene of the elevators opening with people on fire inside, and the sounds were heard of bodies hitting the ground as they jumped out of windows.    They show the end of the day as one by one, the firefighters returned on foot (their truck was destroyed).  You could feel the relief as they realized each person was alive.  I want to say that they either experienced only one death or maybe even none.  There was a lot of survivor's guilt happening.

It can be exhausting, but it's not true that minds can't be changed.  I was quite the self-righteous pro-lifer in high school.  It was the actions of pro-lifers that really turned me off, and I literally woke up one day and knew I was pro-choice.  I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I was lucky enough to take a college psychology class my senior year, and I actually wrote a vociferous anti-abortion paper, and even quoted from a book "written" by Ronald Reagan.  My professor, a practicing psychiatrist, basically told me that things are not as simple as I presented.  I still cringe that I was that person.

I did a report in college about a organization that helped people who wanted an alternative to abortion.  My teacher wrote so the girl goes home and uses a hanger.  I still think that was a disgust remark.  No one else got a comment like that just because she didn’t like my choice of who to report on. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

What people forget is that Rudy became the de facto leader of our country because he stupidly refused to change his headquarters, which was recommended after the first attack, and was forced out on the streets for his own protection.  He literally couldn't help but be out there - he was just trying to save his own life like any other New Yorker that day.  But what made him the leader was the fact that our true president was so weak, and after being filmed frozen in fear with bulging eyes, he was whisked away and unavailable the entire day.  Maybe even the next day, too?  I'm foggy on that memory.  Either way, Rudy was certainly more of a leader on that particular day.  But let's not get into the fact that so many firefighters died because the city didn't provide them with updated equipment, in other words the same quality the police department had.

There's an absolutely brilliant documentary of the day.  Two Irish brothers were simply shadowing a fire department which just happened to be in the down town area on another call.  You can see one of the planes flying overhead before it hit the building.  They followed that station into the scene.  It wasn't visually graphic, but they orally described the scene of the elevators opening with people on fire inside, and the sounds were heard of bodies hitting the ground as they jumped out of windows. They show the end of the day as one by one, the firefighters returned on foot (their truck was destroyed).  You could feel the relief as they realized each person was alive.  I want to say that they either experienced only one death or maybe even none.  There was a lot of survivor's guilt happening.

Brothers Jules and Gedeon Naudet are  French but, yes, the film is brilliant.

https://www-vanityfair-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.vanityfair.com/news/2002/03/jules-gedeon-naudet-world-trade-center-film/amp?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQGCAEYASgB#amp_tf=From %1%24s

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Ohboy said:

What I don’t get is why people like Whoopi think getting rid of an unwanted pregnancy by abortion is fine, but throwing an unwanted newborn into a dumpster is horrible. To me they are essentially the same thing .

Wow. I was going to respond, but @GiveMeSpace, @ChicagoCita and @Former Nun said it so much better, eloquently and more clear.

I was Pro-Life halfway through high school; then I did some research on a composition, and became pro-choice. First year of college? I had to do an oral speech and wanted to do one about pro-choice, but another classmate had chosen it.  So I bit the bullet and did on on pro-life.  I was so convincing, a few of my classmates, guys included, asked if that was how I really felt. I told them no, that I wanted to do one about pro-choice. I didn't feel shamed into admitting that. I was astounded how convincing I was about how "I" felt about it. I wanted to be convincing, because it was supposed to be a persuasive speech. I much preferred the silent speech where I had to show my 'mates the steps I took to make an Indian dish--the tears from chopping onions, to tasting it and realizing I put too much green chilies, and guzzling down water. I don't mind admitting I got a standing ovation for that.

As for Whoopi and what she said? Again, I didn't have a problem with that. She was saying that those that don't want it or believe in it, that's fine. And it is something that is personal between the woman/girl and her doctor. It's not an easy decision to make.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was Pro-Life halfway through high school; then I did some research on a composition, and became pro-choice.

When I was a freshman in high school the subject of abortion came up between me and my best friend.  She was pro choice.  I was not.  I thought it was wrong.  I thought it was a baby from the moment of conception.  Fast forward three years later and I'm a senior in high school and I found myself pregnant.  My beliefs quickly changed.  People evolve as they get older and find themselves in situations they never thought they would find themselves in.  If someone believes abortion is wrong I'm fine with that and I will respect your view but I expect the same courtesy in return.

• Love 21
(edited)
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It can be exhausting, but it's not true that minds can't be changed.  I was quite the self-righteous pro-lifer in high school.  It was the actions of pro-lifers that really turned me off, and I literally woke up one day and knew I was pro-choice.  I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I was lucky enough to take a college psychology class my senior year, and I actually wrote a vociferous anti-abortion paper, and even quoted from a book "written" by Ronald Reagan.  My professor, a practicing psychiatrist, basically told me that things are not as simple as I presented.  I still cringe that I was that person.

I was a staunch pro-lifer in college, due to my catholic background. I was slowly being indoctrinated by these pro-lifers in college, who were telling me that women who had abortions and doctors who performed them, were evil and had to be stopped. They scared me off with their extreme views and wanting to use violence to express themselves.  They invited me to go to a protest outside of a clinic and they wanted to shame these women. It really bothered me and I thought it was wrong to do that. So, I stopped hanging out with them and became pro-choice.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Fast forward three years later and I'm a senior in high school and I found myself pregnant.  My beliefs quickly changed. 

Sometimes this is all it takes.  An experience like this changes the minds of the pregnant female and many family members.  It's often the same with the anti-gay folks...until they learn a beloved son just came out of the closet.   Of course, powerful anti-abortion men whose "lady friends" turn up pregnant usually arrange for "a solution," and go on spewing their anti-abortion "beliefs."  I'll tell my story next.

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

If the visit from Meghan's teacher was a surprise, how did she have questions written on a blue card?

The behind the scenes people would have known. My question is , was the card already in her pile or did someone slip it in when she wasn't looking ? And if they did , she sure didn't seem surprised to see an unfamiliar card. She's not a good enough actress to cover up having to ad-lib. What was with the love fest anyways ? The pictures were hilarious .

• Love 3
(edited)

I was raised in a very Catholic home (generations of us)...12yrs of Catholic school and a believer/defender of all aspects of my religion in every way.  I didn't even think about the human side of needing to terminate a pregnancy.  I knew the rule...the sin, and I was anti-abortion.  There were no "pro" terms in those days...Pro-Life, Pro-Choice.  I became a nonbeliever when I was 25...as devout in my atheism as I was in my Catholicism but held to my anti-abortion belief.  It's a baaaaby!   Then a best friend's niece got kicked out of her house (she had a stepfather*) because she was pregnant...at 15...and so skinny.  She moved in to her aunt's home across the street from me.  I was 30.  The niece went back and forth...terminate the pregnancy, have/keep the baby, give up the baby?  She waited too long and had to have the baby...a HUGE baby boy that she gave up for adoption.  She was still not allowed to move back home, so she lived across the street for a couple of years--and sometimes babysat for my two little boys.  One day I saw her in a halter top and Levi's shorts.  She had what looked like scarring from third-degree burns--a shiny brown (and she was very pale) from below the halter top to below the waist of those shorts.  These were from HORRID stretchmarks from that huge pregnancy. 

Then and there my mind was changed.  I'm that shallow. Why should some poor teen have THAT done to her body if it's not her choice?  I realized I had been anti-abortion by rote and needed to examine my conscience (a Catholic term).   

*The stepfather also kicked out her sister because she became a Mormon!  

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Then and there my mind was changed.  I'm that shallow. Why should some poor teen have THAT done to her body if it's not her choice?  I realized I had been anti-abortion by rote and needed to examine my conscience (a Catholic term).   

You weren't shallow.  You realized what a traumatic thing it was for such a young girl to go through.

• Love 13

Another raised Catholic and pro-lifer here who now picks and chooses what I still support in the Catholic faith.  While I would probably never have had an abortion, I certainly don't think it is my place to tell another woman that they shouldn't have one either. 

Big difference between pro choice and pro abortion.  

15 hours ago, Ohboy said:

I don't believe Whoopi said it was fine. She said it is a decision  to be made between a woman and her doctor. 

• Love 12

I was bored as well. I wish the show would stop trying to make Meghan popular. In addition she is the elephant in the room and controls what is and what is not said about her father.

• Love 18

My two cents on Adele and the Titanic party.  I honestly don’t think she thought “let’s take a horrible tragedy and base a party on it.”  I think she was using the movie as her theme.  And while it’s based on an historical fact, the movie is in fact fiction. 

• Love 11

I like Gabrielle Union, she's beautiful.

Other than that, I've got nothing to add. Today was definitely a snooze fest. 

2 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I wish the show would stop trying to make Meghan popular.

They're definitely trying to make her a thing.

• Love 9

But hey RBM did say a new word today, and now I have forgotten it, cause I am old and crabby. I turned it off too. I got sick of her yapping about how everyone has to be sweet to her because her Father is ill right at the beginning of the show. We know bitch!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Wings said:

Boring show today. I turned off half way through Meg's teacher.  So I got nothin' 

Me too. I figured cutting the grass would be more interesting. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Meghan is such a flucking tool.  Her blind, favorite teacher comes on, and it's the other hosts who have to guide him to his chair.  She was just concerned with flopping her fat ass into her chair that she left that poor man standing there not knowing where to go, until Whoopie and the others guided him to the chair. 

For ME, I'm pro life, but I would never, ever foist my choices on another woman, so in that regard, I'm very pro choice.   And that's what galls me.  These issues are controlled by men, as women aren't in the majority in any government.  I daresay that if men were forced to do things with their bodies that they didn't want, things would be a lot different. 

It reminds me of an awards show where the entire group left the stage, and there sat poor Stevie Wonder abandoned at his piano.

2 minutes ago, Wings said:

Meg didn't want anyone to mention that her dad asked Obama to give a eulogy at his funeral saying he is a friend and man of honor. Trump is not invited.

That is what she was avoiding.  It rains on her I hate Obama parade.

Exactly. Her presence there makes it hard for them to talk about things I feel like would otherwise be discussed. 

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, Wings said:

Meg didn't want anyone to mention that her dad asked Obama to give a eulogy at his funeral saying he is a friend and man of honor. Trump is not invited.

That is what she was avoiding.  It rains on her I hate Obama parade.

Yep you nailed it

• Love 6

I loved the photos of Meghan as a child - adorable - and I loved her glasses!

I really enjoyed her reuniting with her teacher - she jumped up - so excited - and ran right over to him and hugged him.  I did see the other ladies help him to his seat, but I didn't realize that it was because Meghan had left him.

I like Gabrielle Union very much and I wish they could have talked about her raising her sons rather than her movie.

• Love 4

I tuned out during the segment with the blind man who climbed Mt. Everest, because Meghan made it all about herself from the word go and I didn't care to watch more smoke being blown up her overprivileged ass.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, boochay8888 said:

My two cents on Adele and the Titanic party.  I honestly don’t think she thought “let’s take a horrible tragedy and base a party on it.”  I think she was using the movie as her theme.  And while it’s based on an historical fact, the movie is in fact fiction. 

Yes, I don't know why this is even a topic.  I think the idea was to wear the clothing of the era.  

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Yes, I don't know why this is even a topic.  I think the idea was to wear the clothing of the era.  

In the summer of 2012 at an afterparty, I met an oddly dressed young woman who was having a 100th birthday party for her house and everyone had to dress like it was 1912.

• Love 4

Yeah, people have silly parties like this all the time....Adele is the Goddess of all Things...She can do whatever she wants. Hell, my friends on my 30th all dressed like it was my 16th birthday party.....it was hysterical. They had 1960's food as well. Barf. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WarnerCL45 said:

With life vests?

• Love 6