Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: Harry and the Harrisons

Trini
  • Start Topic

With DeVoe's Enlightenment device nearly complete, in order to disable it The Flash and his team must put their faith in an unlikely ally - Amunet Black (guest star Katee Sackhoff). Meanwhile, Harry hits an all-time low when the "Council of Wells" kicks him out but then Cisco introduces him to the "Council of Harrisons."

Kevin Mock directed the episode written by Judalina Neira & Lauren Certo

fla421a_0071b.jpg

Well that was a complete waste of time.  On the plus side the team didn't suffer yet another crushing defeat and even got a glorified grenade out of the deal.  However, it wasn't worth spending an hour on this.

• Love 8

I feel like Amunet has become the new Captain Cold - villain who's a little less evil and a little more greedy yet practical. I cheered when she cut off Norvak's snake eye. I love when people listen to me. And she wasted no time in figuring out that Barry was the guy she tried to kidnap in prison. Although, like last time, I thought she already knew she'd taken the Flash. There is only one tall, skinny, white speedster in Central City, people! 

I liked that Iris was shown doing her job and I liked the opening and closing scenes of her and Barry at home. I enjoy their normal couple time. 

I expected Future Girl to show up at Jitters. It seems like she's shown up at every other end of episode scene there.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm so over Caitlin. They showcased her being even more selfish and shady in this episode. Once again, the team still doesn't bat an eye towards her actions. This woman literally was willingly to make a deal with a trafficker, yet no says anything. It's another pat on the back.

Edited by BeautifulFlower
Posted too many times
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Maverick said:

Once again, Joe gets to be the adult in the room and call out Caitlin's motives in front of everyone.

And that's why I say "Thank You Joe." 

Ugh, but it got ruined because no one still batted an eye when she told them.

• Love 5
(edited)

I usually defend Caitlin, but she really is being remarkably selfish, and rather dumb about trying to get Killer Front back. Why bother keeping these secrets? Its like when she wouldn't tell anyone she was becoming Killer Frost sometimes for no reason, even if it endangered people. Its just ridiculous. Its amazing how forgiving everyone was of her. Not even a quick "what the hell?" before moving on?

Nice seeing Iris and Barry having some couple time, even if I wish we got a bit more of it. And Iris actually got to do her job again! 

I liked Amunet here, even if Team Flash is WAY too trusting of a woman they know is a freaking human trafficker. I laughed when she immediately figured out who Barry was. Figures the one person Barry doesn't tell his secret identity to figures it out anyway. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
(edited)

Quick thoughts: 

There were things I liked and things I didn't like.

Liked the journalism story a lot, it was great to see it interweaved with the storyline. I like these kinds of contributions to the team for Iris. I liked the Barry and Iris scenes (it feels like it's been a while since we had a scene like the second to last one).

I like Harry a lot, but like the first council of Wells, the second one didn't really work for me. Though at least I did like the two new members better than the other ones.

Amunet is interesting and I like her snark, and I see what they'r trying to do with her character, but It's weird to me how there doesn't seem to be much response in the team to her trading humans/having traded humans. The KF storyline is an interesting one for Caitlin, but again, I'm not sure why she would be willing to work for Amunet (again) (albeit one time) and commit crime to get her back. 

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 3
(edited)

Once again, Iris is right.  Barry should just walk around with a "Sorry honey, you're right" sticker on his chest, lol.  Thank you writers for domestic #WestAllen.

Everything else was a bore. 

Oh and Caitlin is a selfish bish who needs to take that condescending base out of her voice when she's talking to Iris.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 11
51 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I feel like Amunet has become the new Captain Cold - villain who's a little less evil and a little more greedy yet practical.

If only she would stop being involved in human trafficking. Captain Cold had less of a climb for redemption. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

If only she would stop being involved in human trafficking. Captain Cold had less of a climb for redemption. 

I'm still disgusted by Caitlin saying she saw "good" in a human trafficker. Amunet had slaves who she beat and starved and Caitlin saw "good" in her?

• Love 13
(edited)

Now that Ralph is gone can I get rid of Harry and Cisco? I can't even get through an entire episode.  This show  has just declined steadily since that first year......just made it to the end....what do they mean that Devoe can't hide and people are spotting him?  I know I fast forward a LOT, but doesn't he have Ralph's ability to change his appearance?I 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Meh. Bright side: no DeVoe one-shotting our heroes and doing everything short of "teabagging" them. But . . . is it harsh to say that the lady playing Amunet Black owes Michelle Gomez money for copying Missy from Doctor Who? I mean, Amunet doesn't kill anybody, and she has yet to dab, but she's playing "British Bitch Having Way Too Much Fun," and Missy is my go-to. Amnuet does show cleavage, though. I don't think Missy took off any article of her clothing.

Okay, we get it, Tom Cavanagh loves playing several variations of the same character. Just once, how about a guy who's as pompous as any Wells, but doesn't look like him. Maybe an Earth-11/Rule 63 Wells? Sonny Wells did give me some cheap laughs, though. Of course there would be an Italian Stereotype Wells. At least we didn't have the Mad Max Wells.

Okay, I get Iris wanting to do something beyond coordinate Team Flash, and the show wants to at least try to stay canon by making her write (though calling her a journalist here might be pushing it). But the plan about writing about Thinker . . . how does that not risk the lives of all readers, especially still the guy that's supposed to get thwarted an probably track down every person who reads it? I get that everybody has the potential to get boned through "Enlightenment," but I can only suspend disbelief so much.

Can't Caitlin get powers without the split personality? It feels so hacky. And duct-taping a retcon of Caitlin having another mind in her brain all along would be worse. Unless it's shown that the persona that would be "Killer Frost's" idea of wildness as a teen was to unbutton the top button of her blouse. So she could breathe, you see.

At least we're coming to an end, though I don't know if we'll get resolutions about Mystery Girl, Cecile and Joe's wedding, Celicle's pregnancy, and Ceilcile's mind reading ability that has no real origin.

ETA: Also, no DIaz and no Team Flash version of Civil War.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

It was so good to hear Caitlin admit that Killer Frost is a criminal. That admission was so long overdue. And yet she wants that criminal back, and we still don't really know why. I thought she was supposed to go to therapy and have a flashback that might explain KF once and for all. When is that happening?

Edited by adora721
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

What a waste if time

A Colossal waste! Harry did try to warn us midway through the episode. 

Barry and Iris have a very nice condo/apartment. Who knew being the Flash pays the bills.

If they need someone to fly to space, call in a favor from Supergirl. I am sure the Thinker wouldn't plan on this.

Caitlin is fighting for her other personality to return in her head. Could someone just leave clever "Post Its" on the fridge to make her happy!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

But the plan about writing about Thinker . . . how does that not risk the lives of all readers, especially still the guy that's supposed to get thwarted an probably track down every person who reads it? I get that everybody has the potential to get boned through "Enlightenment," but I can only suspend disbelief so much.

So warning people of an impending attack endangers people? Endangers them more than the attack itself? 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I'm still disgusted by Caitlin saying she saw "good" in a human trafficker. Amunet had slaves who she beat and starved and Caitlin saw "good" in her?

It was like I was watching Once Upon a Time or something! "Yes, she has a literal trail of her murdered victims behind her, but she said my hair looked alright one time! She has a good heart!" 

I mean, I think Amunet is a fun character as a villain, but if she had literally tried to sell one of my best friends into slavery (and only feels sad that she didnt know she could have gotten more for him), I wouldn't be so forgiving. 

• Love 9
(edited)
17 minutes ago, ursula said:
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

But the plan about writing about Thinker . . . how does that not risk the lives of all readers, especially still the guy that's supposed to get thwarted an probably track down every person who reads it? I get that everybody has the potential to get boned through "Enlightenment," but I can only suspend disbelief so much.

So warning people of an impending attack endangers people? Endangers them more than the attack itself? 

One of the most ridiculous things about this season is that Team Flash hasn't enlisted more help dealing with DeVoe. When Vandal Savage was a threat, they worked with Arrow's team, same thing with the Dominators. Why isn't this global threat also worthy of calling in reinforcements? 

Iris made a good point that the people of CC trust the Flash. Why wouldn't the Flash go to the police or even Argus much sooner to enlist their help? They've been beaten time and time again and yet they refuse to get help for this threat.

I don't think Iris writing about it can make it worse. At some point, Team Flash has to accept its limitations and get help. Too much is at stake to keep going it alone or to let pride (or arrogance) get in the way of asking of help. 

Edited by adora721
  • Love 6

Iris is going back to journalism (about time, we've been calling for that since season 2), and they remembered that Central City loves The Flash, so those are good.

I want to see Katee Sackhoff, Wentworth Miller, and Danny Trejo share a scene, just to see if there would be any scenery left.

1 hour ago, adora721 said:

Iris made a good point that the people of CC trust the Flash. Why wouldn't the Flash go to the police or even Argus much sooner to enlist their help?

For the same reason that Argus apparently doesn't give a shit about Oliver's troubles on Arrow, plotforce.  Why would they want to stop Oliver being nailed, and some of their secrets being exposed, and why would they want to stop DeVoe?  Makes sense they'd just ignore all of that.

• Love 5

So much meh. I did like Iris, but all the Caitlin stuff is too much...I mean come on, making a deal with a trafficker??? Caitlin is less Team Flash and more Team Self and it’s annoying. Also too many Wells versions but I didn’t mind the goofiness as much as usual. Although overall, yeah, colossal waste of time. Especially so late in the season. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I really liked Iris in this episode, she was very proactive. I don't understand what they're going for with Caitlyn. She's acting incredibly selfishly 99% of the time but nobody ever reacts to it. If we're supposed to think she's wrong/headed for villainy again, I would think someone would occasionally call her on the bullshit. Joe sort of did but it seemed more about keeping the team informed than that it was wrong and/or selfish.

Edited by JamieLynn832002
  • Love 7

So, the "Council of Rejects" consist of Hugh Hefner/Matthew McConaughey Wells, a Stereotypical French Wells, and a Low Rent Soprano/Mafia Wells.  Kind of already getting bored of this gimmick.  I love Tom Cavanagh, but it feels like its just a lame excuse for him to goof off for a couple of moments.  And frankly, the big revelation of it all leading to him figuring out their is friction between DeVoe and Marlize just makes me wonder why no one else on Team Flash even considered looking into her whereabouts.  I would think they'd have all eyes on anyone connected to him at this point.

Amunet's return was fun, but it does feel weird that they are trying to make her more of an anti-hero instead of a villain.  Human trafficking is one of those things that's kind of hard to just brush aside.  Although, I guess they could always just ship her off to the Legends, where she'll get to be alongside an assassin and an arsonist!

Really over Caitlin's need to find Killer Frost and how selfish she is while doing it.  Joe was too soft on her.

Iris be bringing up the logic with her "Hey, why don't we just let the city know what is going on?" plan.  It does help that Central City actually likes The Flash.  Poor Oliver wouldn't fare as well, since Star City seems to run hot or cold on the Green Arrow depending on the time of the day or what the weather is like.

Kind of a boring episode.  Honestly, the biggest takeaway I got from tonight was the surprise that Barry actually sleeps shirtless.  With the way he acts sometimes, he really struck me as someone who would wear full-body flannel pajamas.  Or maybe even a onesie.  But maybe Grant Gustin was like "Come on, guys!  I might not be full-fledge Stephen Amell ripped, but I can hold my own, dammit!"

• Love 6

Council of Wells is as big a waste of time as it always has been. Actually, moreso. So much useless dialogue in those scenes.

I see that a lot of people here like Amunet, but I just cannot deal with how over the top KS plays the character. I don't mind the accent and even some of the mannerisms, but when they are so constantly affected, it doesn't even seem like she's playing a real person. And I really find it hard to believe that she's the only one that the entirety of Team Flash could collectively think of to help. (Caitlin had her own motives, but c'mon. How many other allies does the team have out there that could help with this situation, realistically?)

I think this show overuses the "talking about one thing, and it leading to a revelation about something else" shtick waaay too much. They did it at least three times this episode alone. 

Hopefully they will finally ditch the "single bad guy for an entire season" concept next season. It just gets tedious (on this and other shows). There are lots of creative ways to have a throughline to a season without having it revolve around a single evildoer that needs to be fought and who needs to be constantly one-upping the heroes.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, adora721 said:

One of the most ridiculous things about this season is that Team Flash hasn't enlisted more help dealing with DeVoe. When Vandal Savage was a threat, they worked with Arrow's team, same thing with the Dominators. Why isn't this global threat also worthy of calling in reinforcements? 

I know she's busy with things over on her show but if you can invite Supergirl over for a wedding then you can certainly recruit her to help take down some satellites.  Or Superman, since he doesn't seem to be too concerned with what she's dealing with.

I do like how Barry and Iris appear to think every reported sighting of Devoe is legitimate.  Surely there's no way the citizens of CC could mistakenly report a sighting since we're assuming there's no one in the city who looks remotely like Devoe.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

And that's why I say "Thank You Joe." 

Ugh, but it got ruined because no one still batted an eye when she told them.

Maybe cause this isn't the first time she lied to the team for self-fish and self-center reasons that could put the team in bad/dangerous position. So the team expect Caitlin to do shit like this and are just like whatever. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 4
(edited)
45 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I do like how Barry and Iris appear to think every reported sighting of Devoe is legitimate.  Surely there's no way the citizens of CC could mistakenly report a sighting since we're assuming there's no one in the city who looks remotely like Devoe.

Or that Devoe wouldn't just flood their tipline with fake sightings of himself to waste Team Flash's time. 

Or that rando trolls wouldn't put stuff up there because Internet.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

I really liked Iris in this episode, she was very proactive. I don't understand what they're going for with Caitlyn. She's acting incredibly selfishly 99% of the time but nobody ever reacts to it. If we're supposed to think she's wrong/headed for villainy again, I would think someone would occasionally call her on the bullshit. Joe sort of did but it seemed more about keeping the team informed than that it was wrong and/or selfish.

These are some great points. Perhaps, human trafficking is very common place in Central City. No one seems to think it's a problem unless Barry is going to be sold to the highest bidder ?.

It's weird that no one is calling her out, but it's not weird at the same time. When has Caitlin ever been held accountable/called out for her actions? Going all the way back to season 1 and the initial Ronnie situation, Caitlin has thought about herself first. So, it's weird for no one to say anything, but it's also been the way the Team has always handled Caitlin's mistakes. 

I'm starting to think The Flash writers are doing a poorly planned social/fandom experiment. The goal would be to see how many utterly selfish acts can Caitlin do without being called out by the Team. In turn, the fandom just accepts her bad behavior. So far, it seems like most fandom people just think Iris is selfish and Caitlin is scared, but not selfish. There's always an excuse for Caitlin. It's almost as if there is a bias against Iris and a bias for Caitlin in fandom. Almost. 

I struggle to believe that any other character on this show would get such a free pass from the Team or the fandom.The expectation bar for Caitlin is set so incredibly low. 

Also, why are Joe and Cisco being reduced to babysitters for Caitlin and Harry? It's nonsense. 

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, the "Council of Rejects" consist of Hugh Hefner/Matthew McConaughey Wells, a Stereotypical French Wells, and a Low Rent Soprano/Mafia Wells.  Kind of already getting bored of this gimmick.  I love Tom Cavanagh, but it feels like its just a lame excuse for him to goof off for a couple of moments.

I haaaaaate the Council of Wells. I can’t even understand what they are saying half the time with those ridiculous accents. I’ve loved TC since Ed, but I can’t handle those scenes and pretty much just tune out until it’s over.  And you are so right, it seems like it serves no purpose other than to let TC play the different, over the top characters. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 12
(edited)

I like Tom Cavanagh. I do. But yes, I agree the Council (be it Wells or Harrisons) is just a waste of time. It's sole purpose seems to be for TC have some fun, but has little or no impact on the actual plot. In fact it's a pretty good indication that Flash is just keeping TC around for the sake of having TC around, they have no real plot or plan for him. Which is really only tolerable now because of TC himself.

I think with Caitlin and Amunet they're trying to parallel Barry and Snart. Snart was a thief and a murderer and Barry embraced him as a friend. The difference is while Snart did kill he didn't seem to enjoy it, I mean, he didn't kill people for kicks. Not that he was a saint or anything, but I don't think even he would have ever sold another human being into slavery. That's a line I don't think you can come back from. Amunet is fun to watch mostly because she's played by Katee Sackhoff, but she's (ironically) cold and cruel in a way Leonard Snart never was.

So now they have a grenade they can use on one of Devoe's satellites. Presumably taking out one stops the system from working. Which...hooray, I guess. But this is no way helps them unless they can get to the satellites BEFORE they launch, since the whole point is they have no way of getting out into space. Obviously. It's not as if they know anyone with an armed spaceship.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

trying to get Killer Front

Is your autocorrect "correcting" you? ??

10 hours ago, adora721 said:

Because with Vandal, it was the backdoor pilot for Legends and part of their crossover. All these shows only remember the other heroes who can lend a hand, help out, when it's Cross Over time. Other times? Pfft. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of fast forwarding tonight.

• Love 3

Nothing like a filler episode for the third-to-last show.  I suppose one good thing is not having another scene where the Flash is on his stomach while Devoe reigns triumphant but still, this was just a colossal waste.

I liked Amunet but that's about it.  The Council of Wells gets more ridiculous and useless with every appearance.

Barry keeps up his habit of standing in front of the villain of the week and waiting until said villain attacks him.

(edited)

Why does Caitlyn want so badly to have her split personality back?  Its a form of mental illness, isn't it?  I understand if she just wanted the ice powers at her disposal, but it seems like she's more interested in having her "friend" around again.  That's really sad.  She needs to get out of that lab and make some REAL friends.

/* SPOILER *?Maybe Killer Frost won't come out because she's tired of getting beaten up/tossed aside/flipped on her backside every time she shows up, just like _________ in the Avengers movie.

Edited by Gregg247
  • Love 4

I like Amunet (although her English accent was all over the place), but the Council of Wells/Harrison stuff was just unbelievably pointless.

The start of the season has been much better than the second half. This season has lost all momentum and this episode, besides the grenade, was quite useless in the grand scheme of things.

I hope they pace things better next season.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Since Amunet said the splicer was a placebo. Does this mean Caitlin/KF wasn't a split personality? 

I read a comment that was under a review video for the episode; the commentator theorizes that DeVoe didn't use Melting Pot's powers to remove the meta DNA. Instead, he used Dominic's powers to telepathically plant a strong suggestion to Caitlin that KF was gone, so it's a mental block.  I quite like the idea.

Here's the quote by anionhero: " I think that Team Flash isn't really helping Caitlin with Killer Frost is because Killer Frost (as they pointed out several times in the episode last night) is a criminal. Sure, she has gotten along with the Team from time to time, but for the most part, she's a criminal. I believe the Killer Frost persona was just Caitlin's way of dealing with getting the same powers as Earth Two Caitlin. She saw how evil her counterpart was and wants to believe its the powers that made her evil. So when she developed the same powers, Her mind created the Killer Frost persona so she could be like, "See! It was the powers that turned Earth 2 Caitlin evil! It's not something that is in me! It's the powers!" DeVoe made her believe he used meta stealing power, but in reality he used his telepathy. He erased the Killer Frost persona and so now, psychosomatically Caitlin can't use her powers until she figures this all out. "

• Love 4

The difference is while Snart did kill he didn't seem to enjoy it, I mean, he didn't kill people for kicks. Not that he was a saint or anything, but I don't think even he would have ever sold another human being into slavery

Snart hated unnecessary complications, and slavery would have a lot of them.  That's one of the reasons he was against unnecessary killing.  That said, I thought it wasn't that Caitlin thought Anument was *good*, just that she had enough good *in her* to be less evil, because of her own internal struggles to be less evil herself.

Or, and Occam's Razor would support this second interpretation, it was a writing C- (like a writing fail, but instead of retconning it they just keep going.)

I watched this episode with second hand embarrassment for everyone especially Tom Cavanaugh and Carlos Valdes for being stuck in that idiotic Harry subplot.  WT even Fuck is that?

Also I skipped the last couple episodes, but the Thinker's big plan is ... make everyone dumb?  Really show?  That is what you squandered all the personality and chemistry of The Devoes on so they devolved in this Wile E. Coyote of a plot?

In addition to making Harrison and Cisco look like fools, they're making Caitlin into this selfish creature.  They are in the midst of this DeVoe crisis and  her attitude is analogous to treating  KF like she has been kidnapped or Amunet is a walking amber alert.  Priorities, girl.

Iris was the only one who was acting like she had any sense this episode.

This season has become so disappointing ater such a strong start.  These writers really can't plot for shit. And they can't handle a 22-24 episode season.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 5:08 AM, thuganomics85 said:

So, the "Council of Rejects" consist of Hugh Hefner/Matthew McConaughey Wells, a Stereotypical French Wells, and a Low Rent Soprano/Mafia Wells.  Kind of already getting bored of this gimmick.  I love Tom Cavanagh, but it feels like its just a lame excuse for him to goof off for a couple of moments. ...

Not even - I'm pretty sure the producers/writers/Tom C. himself have said that they wrote in Tom's ad-libbing and impressions.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:20 AM, benteen said:

Nothing like a filler episode for the third-to-last show.  I suppose one good thing is not having another scene where the Flash is on his stomach while Devoe reigns triumphant but still, this was just a colossal waste....

Well, the episode 21 has been filler or mostly filler since Season 1, but they're usually more fun or have more 'heart'.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, adora721 said:

DeVoe made her believe he used meta stealing power, but in reality he used his telepathy. He erased the Killer Frost persona and so now, psychosomatically Caitlin can't use her powers until she figures this all out. "

Okay, I mean I can buy that. But why would he? If Devoe actually considered Frost a threat or a complication, or even just an annoyance, why wouldn't he use the power that would actually let him get rid of her? Why do something Frost could come back from?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Since Amunet said the splicer was a placebo. Does this mean Caitlin/KF wasn't a split personality? 

I thought that was where they were going to go with this (and have been advocating for some time that they needed to go this route in some manner; either a remnant of E2 KF that got stuck with her due to Flashpoint, or else just her own compartmentalizing/denial), but when no one even brought it up as a possibility even after Amunet pointed out that the splicer didn't work, I really feel like the writers were completely winging it, even at this late a date in the season.

• Love 2

I didn't outright hate the episode, though I can see why others didn't like it.  I do think they actually got a minor win in that while Amunet wasn't going to stick around (really, they expected her?!), at least she gave them something that hopefully will be critical when the moment calls for it. 

And while I could have easily passed on the Goobam Wells, I had to chuckle that the French Wells was speaking with a Quebecois accent (Tom went to school in Quebec in high school and as a Montrealer, I enjoyed that bit.) 

That all said, I'm hoping the last 2 episodes puts the focus back on DeVoe and his Acme level plan of making people dumb.