Type keyword(s) to search

A Quiet Place (2018)

Stenbeck
  • Start Topic

Hungry monsters eat anything that makes a sound in John Krasinski's third outing as director, in which he co-stars with wife Emily Blunt.

I saw this last night and it's very, very good. There are several OMG NOOOOOOOO moments.

Spoiler

The reveal is a bit reminiscent of Mars Attacks for my taste, but it doesn't take away from how good the movie is. 

• Love 2

I will never be able to see this movie because I believe I would have an actual heart attack but I'm kind of bummed because it's getting really good reviews.

• Love 5

Definitely above average.   Good anticipation, good jump scares and I cared about the family.   You just know one of the parents will end up sacrificing themselves to save the kids but it's still affecting when it happens.  Targeting the creatures' advanced hearing seems like a no-brainer and as I left the theater I wondered if anyone in the military/government had thought of it.  Still, I wasn't thinking of that during the movie, which is a credit to how it drew me in. 

Seeing the newspaper headlines does emphasize that it happened quickly and the one that says "You're on your own" was kind of chilling - I guess all those noisy military people got wiped out.

You don't really need to know the whys and hows though -the family is isolated and had already been communicating via sign language.  They were also smart and resilient.  You can question the mom being pregnant in these circumstances but at least they built a quiet room for when the baby's born, which did work until it got flooded.

The nail on the stairs eeeeeeeee you just know it's gonna happen but when it does, ow!

I recommend this for sure.

• Love 4

Agreed.  It's a simple, solid thriller.  Good performances all around.  They do some interesting things with the ambient sound.

I was a little irked with people in my theater who kept fidgeting.  No one was particular noisy, but in such a quiet movie any audience noise was distracting.

• Love 5

It started off so good. Really great environment and extremely tense atmosphere. The ending though, just got dumb. If the creatures ignore the ambient sounds of the river, live by the river. Emily Blunt's character (did they ever state anyone's name?) gives birth in like 5 seconds. The big basement floods to above knee level in a few minutes and EB doesn't hear the water. A 10 foot by 10 foot room flooded to between 1.5-2.5 feet would be between 1100 and 1900 gallons of water. And that basement was bigger than 10 by 10. There is no way she wouldn't have heard that much water. Also, who the hell made those stairs? What was that nail even securing and why was it inserted seemingly from the bottom up instead of the correct and much safer top down? Creatures attracted to sound suddenly appear, but newspapers are still able to be mass produced despite newspaper printers being loud as shit. Also, how were they being distributed? Finally, the combined firepower of the military can't kill these things, but a single shotgun blast to the face at close range is enough to do it, yeah okay. Before anybody says anything, I am aware that the hearing aid did something to the armor around the creature's head, but still there are a lot of weapons way more powerful than an ordinary shotgun. Last thing really, I thought the ending scene with EB racking the shotgun and smirking didn't fit the rest of the movie. It's like they were trying too hard to end on a "badass" moment.

• Love 8

I really enjoyed it flaws and all and even cried several times. Such good acting especially Emily Blunt and Millicent Simmonds. I did regret getting that bag of popcorn because I could only eat it when loud sounds were happening. 

I choose to handwave no one trying to attack the creatures sensitive hearing by thinking the takeover happened so quickly and globally, but it's definitely one of the flaws. As with a lot of horror movies, I did enjoy that this family had successfully survived for over a year, and we happen to meet them the one day (after the prologue) where everything goes to hell. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Just saw it today and I really enjoyed it, although I did have to suspend disbelief a little bit about the world building.   Any creature with hearing that sensitive is probably going to be able to hear you breathing, or maybe even your heart beat, if it's in the same room as you.   And it doesn't explain how they prevent unavoidable sounds - like coughing, sneezing, or even worse - snoring.    Maybe they slept in that sound proof room, but didn't seem like it.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 5

Yeah that was another thing that got to me. The creatures can hear a picture frame breaking in a basement from where ever they were but can't pinpoint someone breathing a few feet from them. 

1 hour ago, jcin617 said:

Maybe they slept in that sound proof room, but didn't seem like it.

I don't think they slept there. When Emily Blunt woke up after giving birth, she comments that it works.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Just saw it today and I really enjoyed it, although I did have to suspend disbelief a little bit about the world building.   Any creature with hearing that sensitive is probably going to be able to hear you breathing, or maybe even your heart beat, if it's in the same room as you.   And it doesn't explain how they prevent unavoidable sounds - like coughing, sneezing, or even worse - snoring.    Maybe they slept in that sound proof room, but didn't seem like it.

I had to handwave that away, because yeah. How did they use the bathroom? An outhouse, I guess, since flushing would have gotten you eaten. Then again, what if you accidentally let one rip in the outhouse? Is it light's out for you?

Other questions I had: Where did they get all the sand to line the walkways? Why was the corn still planted in rows more than a year after all of this went down? How did they have access to oxygen tanks but not condoms? Why was there still electricity? Why didn't she do the washing at the river?

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I figured they didn't live there because they couldn't construct a house/sufficient long-term shelter. They were always in sweaters so I assume it was cold there. Too cold for them to rough it with 2 (or 3) small kids. It would make sense, though, to try to construct some kind of dwelling.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, afterbite said:

I figured they didn't live there because they couldn't construct a house/sufficient long-term shelter. They were always in sweaters so I assume it was cold there. Too cold for them to rough it with 2 (or 3) small kids. It would make sense, though, to try to construct some kind of dwelling.

In the beginning you could see leaves changing all different colors.  I'm not sure about the colors in the southern part of the east coast, but in New England, all the different kinds of trees just explode all sorts of colors, so yes, it would probably get really cold there eventually.

I'm a bit of a wimp, so I rarely watch horror films and of the ones I do watch, I rarely watch them in a theater so as not to embarrass myself.  But, when you have good reviews, plus Chris Pratt saying "Omg!! A Quiet Place was so good!!" and Ryan Reynolds saying that he liked it so much that he wanted John and Emily (both of whom I like) to adopt him, well, I had to go see it in a theater (I'm also taking ASL classes, so I was interested in that aspect of it, too).  It didn't disappoint, although, now that I read about all the flaws that I didn't think about, yeah, I get it.  But, I'm willing to hand wave them off because it was intense and well acted.   However, I said to my son after we left that there's no way, no how I'd have a baby in that situation.  I'd have gone into ever store I passed to look for condoms and birth control pills.  Hell, I'd have even resorted to getting all the  plastic wrap I could find, counted my days meticulously and still made sure he pulled out (sorry to get so graphic, but sheesh).  I know, I know....it made for some incredibly intense moments, but it was still the one thing that was the hardest for me to wave off. 

Are my son and I the only ones who thought this movie would have been an excellent addition to the Cloverfield saga?  It had the same feel to those movies, although it was better (slightly edging out the John Goodman one).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

But, I'm willing to hand wave them off because it was intense and well acted.   However, I said to my son after we left that there's no way, no how I'd have a baby in that situation. 

Yeah, if you think about the premise too much, it falls apart.  Like you said, I can handwave it, plus, these things didn't occur to me until mostly afterwards, which is a good sign for me - means I care what's going on.   I figure the creatures probably swarmed the cities and were held off from the more populated areas for a while.  We actually don't really know what's going in the populated areas, since the family lives on a large, somewhat isolated farm - there are other fires at night in the distance so we know there are other people.

I agree, I would not have a baby either - I think the pregnancy was planned.  They were obviously preparing well - the "baby room" would have worked if not for the flooding.  Seriously, did the Emily Blunt character have the worst day or what??  Water breaks, steps on a nail, chased by creatures, gives birth alone and in silence, thinks she's safe but she's not, more creature - sheesh.

One little thing I noticed in the beginning, when they were looking for the medicine, was all the packages of chips and stuff still there.  Noisy bags!  I thought that was a nice touch.

20 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Are my son and I the only ones who thought this movie would have been an excellent addition to the Cloverfield saga?

It crossed the writers' minds too but not seriously.

• Love 4

I think the implication was that the creatures could pinpoint sounds that were in some way man made - the space shuttle, breaking glass, timer, fireworks, etc.  Breathing and footfalls could be lost in the cacophony of the natural world.  Maybe it's certain frequencies. /<handwave>

10 hours ago, afterbite said:

Why was the corn still planted in rows more than a year after all of this went down?

That was one of mine.  How are they sowing and harvesting that quantity of corn in a silent way?

• Love 2

So....I blew past the posts here, because I haven't seen it yet ("LalalaICan'tHearYouuuuu..."), but I wanted to ask the opinion of those here who have:

Want to take my just-turned-13 nephew to see it.  He's pretty mature for his age.  Yes or no?

The use of sound was extremely effective. Whenever things were shown from the daughter's point of view, the audience heard nothing, just as she did. It made that scene when she's in the cornfield and the creature is right behind her really tense. I felt really bad for her, the way she blamed herself for her youngest brother's death. She was just trying to do something nice for him, not knowing he swiped the batteries and put them in the toy. The scene when she visits his memorial on the bridge and cuts the wires on the toy spaceship was really sad.

I felt bad for the middle boy, too, and don't blame him at all for how scared he was, because I would be the same way. He was such a sweet kid, and really cared about his sister. I loved the scene at the waterfall when he asks his dad if she knows he doesn't blame her for the death. Aw. 

Agree with everyone--no way I'd be having a baby in such a situation. They were definitely prepared, with the safe room and the oxygen, though it's hard to say if the pregnancy was on purpose or accidental. And since babies are always crying, and they can't take a chance, one of them would have to be down in that safe room with the baby pretty much constantly. As soon as the laundry bag snagged on the nail, it was obvious someone was going to step on it, and wow, talk about a bad time. Step on nail as you go into labor all alone with those sound-hunting creatures everywhere. Noooope. When the room flooded and the creature went beneath the water, I honestly thought it was going to pop out and snatch the baby from the cradle.

I suppose it was inevitable that the father sacrificed himself for his children, but the scene of them signing "I love you" was still very sad. The only thing I didn't get is why he didn't want the daughter going down into the basement. The stairs were marked with paint just like the hallway, so she'd know where to step, and there was nothing particularly dangerous, I don't think. 

• Love 7

Some kid posted a spoiler in the chat of something I was watching last week, so I knew the dad was a goner. I was hoping it wasn't true, though. And the kid getting snatched at the beginning! I was trying to be quiet, because I'd heard that theatres were really quiet when this was playing, but I let out an, "Oh, fuck!" when that poor little boy was grabbed. 

I was pissed when I saw that she was pregnant. They built a quiet room, but why take the chance?? They lost their youngest, because of a stupid toy - how are you supposed to keep a baby quiet? 

I enjoyed it, and the jump scares in the first half really got me, for a change, but I was ready for it to end. There were one too many of those, at that point, and I thought the ending was too badass, as someone else said. Maybe she wanted to look confident for her daughter, though, a "we've got this!" moment. Their middle son got to me. I just wanted to hug him, and I was glad that he pointed out that his sister needed to be told that she was loved, and not blamed. 

When the dad lit the fire on the top of the corn mill, near the beginning, was he looking at fires lit by other survivors? 

At the end, I was afraid that monster was going to get up yet again, Michael Myers style. 

• Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, ZoqFotPik said:

(did they ever state anyone's name?)

No. You have to wait for the credits to get to the family's names - Evelyn (Blunt), Lee (Krazinski), Regan (Simmonds), and Marcus (Noah Jupe). I thought that was a nice touch, actually, that we don't even find out their names until the end. Having to live in a world that''s entirely silent, names don't really matter as much as staying close together, looking out for one another. And since Regan's world was already silent due to her deafness, the use of sign language was something the family needed even before the aliens invaded.

My unfounded theory is that Evelyn got pregnant on purpose, because at the beginning of the movie it says it's "Day 89" of the invasion, before their youngest kid gets taken. The next time passage of time comes up, its something like "Day 452' and she's pretty far along. As selfish and stupid as it looks, maybe she and Lee decided to try again. They were clearly pretty isolated on their farm, and even if there were other survivors, maybe a whole bunch of people gathered together would have made easier targets. If even just two adults and two kids occasionally made too much noise, attracting the attention of the squid-things, imagine how much trouble forty or fifty people would have all clustered together.

• Love 1

As I've said in another threads, I'm not a massive fan of horror films, so it is saying something that I enjoyed this quite a bit.  I did have to handwave a few things (like how certain sounds seem to send the creatures running even if it was miles away, while other sounds they couldn't seem to pick up when it was right in front of them) and I did think the final act went into predictable (totally knew Lee was going to sacrifice himself) and typical horror fare territory, but it was extremely well-acted, had a great eerie atmosphere, and really conveyed an excellent sense of dread and suspense.  I never felt at ease during the entire film, and I say that as a positive.

Real life married couples acting together can be hit or miss, but I thought John Krasinski and Emily Blunt had great chemistry here and worked well together.  They were great in their separate moments and arcs too, although I do think Blunt is better overall (or at least has more range), but I suspect even Krasinski would be the first to admit that.  But they both fit their characters very well.  Really impressed by Noah Jupe and especially Millicent Simmonds as the kids.  I think both of them have bright futures ahead of them, or they should.  You can never tell in this industry, sadly.

Definitely curious to see where Krasinski goes as a director and writers.  Definitely impressed me here.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this. I was stressed the entire time, John K did a great job building the suspense in certain moments. 

I don't know if the pregnancy was planned or accident, my husband and I just joked about the fact that they had to have super quiet sex lol

• Love 4
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Real life married couples acting together can be hit or miss, but I thought John Krasinski and Emily Blunt had great chemistry here and worked well together. 

Yes!  I forgot to mention this.  They really do have on screen chemistry.

• Love 3

I really, really enjoyed this, but as others have said there were things that required suspension of disbelief. (You know, other than sound sensitive monsters invading the Earth.) My main one came right at the beginning - in a world overrun by sound sensitive monsters, would you not as parents want to keep your kids where you can see them when you're out walking? Why on Earth would you let the smallest kid walk at the back where no one could keep an eye on him, toy or no toy? One parent at the the front and one bringing up the rear, that's just plain sense. C'mon, guys.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 20

I wanted to like this more than I did. Especially after hearing all the positive reviews. Maybe I was in just a bad mood yesterday when I saw it, but I couldn't get past the fact that they got pregnant. I found it stupid and selfish. In a world where you can't make noise, how on earth are you going to have a baby? Babies cry constantly. It made no sense and pissed me off. And then when they put the oxygen mask on the baby and closed him up in a box? Are you kidding me with this shit? I just thought the parents were extremely irresponsible and I couldn't really root for them. They already had one small child killed because he made noise, but they were going to have a baby? Were there no more condoms anywhere? Really? And there's no doctors, what if the mother had a complicated birth and died? Clearly, this still annoys me, lol. I just couldn't move past this to enjoy the movie. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 6
On 4/15/2018 at 7:44 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Real life married couples acting together can be hit or miss, but I thought John Krasinski and Emily Blunt had great chemistry here and worked well together.  They were great in their separate moments and arcs too, although I do think Blunt is better overall (or at least has more range), but I suspect even Krasinski would be the first to admit that.

I'll give him that he surprised me with the depth and profundity of his performance. Blunt's wasn't a surprise, as I've learned to expect excellence from her whenever she's on the screen.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2018 at 7:22 PM, Shannon L. said:

However, I said to my son after we left that there's no way, no how I'd have a baby in that situation.  I'd have gone into ever store I passed to look for condoms and birth control pills.  Hell, I'd have even resorted to getting all the  plastic wrap I could find, counted my days meticulously and still made sure he pulled out (sorry to get so graphic, but sheesh).  I know, I know....it made for some incredibly intense moments, but it was still the one thing that was the hardest for me to wave off. 

It makes absolutely no sense. You can't keep a baby silent all the time. It just is not a thing. I don't know if it was unplanned or if they were trying to replace the son they lost or what, but having a baby in an environment where sound actually, literally gets you killed is completely ridiculous. I would resign myself to oral and manual sex if there were no condoms to be found.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:55 PM, phalange said:

I felt bad for the middle boy, too, and don't blame him at all for how scared he was, because I would be the same way. He was such a sweet kid, and really cared about his sister. I loved the scene at the waterfall when he asks his dad if she knows he doesn't blame her for the death. Aw. 

I laughed when the father said there was nothing to be scared of and the boy was like "Of course there is!" because ... hello? Dad? The monsters that ate his brother and the rest of humanity are what there is to be scared of. Are you new?

I was unspoiled so I didn't know the father died. I was still moved by it. I liked the movie as a whole - it was a better than average jump-scare kind of movie, good enough that you can hand wave away all the things that unravel the plot. You don't realize how loud movies are until you are in a mostly quiet one. I had to time eating my snack with the louder parts because I didn't want to be That Person who reaches into a bag when the movie is dead silent.

I would have to go to the waterfall once a day and yell, just for catharsis. Why didn't they wear socks? Seems like it would have the same affect as the sand and would be easier.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:44 PM, thuganomics85 said:

They were great in their separate moments and arcs too, although I do think Blunt is better overall (or at least has more range), but I suspect even Krasinski would be the first to admit that.

He said a really sweet thing during the press junket - something like, he always knew she was awesome but seeing it in person was like, whoa. He seems to adore her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 4/20/2018 at 9:57 PM, Empress1 said:

I laughed when the father said there was nothing to be scared of and the boy was like "Of course there is!" because ... hello? Dad? The monsters that ate his brother and the rest of humanity are what there is to be scared of. Are you new?

I  smirked at that part too....talk about a legit comeback from a kid to his dad LOL

I really liked this, I agree it got a little cliched at the end, but it worked....I thought the parents did the best they could and were great parents, despite having the baby which is a questionable decision, I wondered if they decided to have one to help heal the wound

I’d like to see a prequel vs. a sequel.

Where did they come from?  How many?  How long before most of humanity got wiped out?  How are others surviving?

As long as Krazinski directs.

• Love 9

Oh god, I'm going all Monty Python with the thoughts of sequel titles, it just seems silly to go for one at all. I would also prefer a prequel. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, cpcathy said:

I don't think we need a sequel at all. I guess I would be a horrible Hollywood executive. (I didn't think Star Wars needed a sequel either, LOL!)

Sometimes I think a very good movie needs to be left to stand alone. I think A Quiet Place is that kind of movie. (So was Jaws, but I digress...)

Now on Star Wars I can see the natural progression for the next chapters and the earlier ones.  It had a huge scope and a gazillion individual plot lines.  A Quiet Place? Not so much. I think they should leave it be and be happy with the movie they got.  Krasinski showed a lot of talent and potential here; let him find, or write, another film and back him on that.

• Love 7

I too thought that of course the military or scientists somewhere on planet earth would have tried some sort of sound waves.  They would have the ability to do it in an unpopulated area and then take them out with explosives.  But I guess it is possible that the planet got so fucked up by these aliens that no one ever got around to checking for survivors in rural America.  Maybe that is why there was only three aliens in that area.

Among other implausible things, along with those already mentioned, I just don't see a four year old kid putting batteries in that rocket toy the right way.  I guess it could happen.

Since they had the fireworks rockets to distract, why couldn't they have lured the aliens then taken them out with firepower--although the newspaper articles said bullets don't work, they appeared to work when their armour was up.

And why didn't they live underground the whole time, and try to create a better trap door than a mattress?  I also thought they should have moved to the river, but guess they would have had to construct something which would cause noise.

The corn made no sense, nor did the bare feet.  Socks, home made moccasins, anyone?

But, I thought it was a great movie, very well paced, with few characters, but so effective.  It was easy to look past the things that didn't completely make sense, because it was so good.  I figured they were having a baby to ensure that the human race didn't die off.

• Love 1

Just saw this with my son. He’s 11 and he handled it just fine. 

This movie drew on some on other films. I was strongly reminded at several points of Jurassic Park, Alien, and Signs. Overall this was a very good movie. I wouldn’t call myself blown away though.  Because it reminded me of so many other films, I’m not sure I’d call it totally original either. 

I rented this from Red Box over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, My girlfriend said that she would have liked to have known more about the nature of the invasion, but I like that a lot was left up to the imagination. Starting the movie in medias res gave a real sense of immediacy. I was glad that there wasn't a lot of blood and gore and that made it easier to concentrate on the story -- and appreciate the real scares when they arose. The characters were very likable and relatable and really seemed like a real family.

• Love 2

Recently saw this as part of my annual Halloween horror movie marathon, and was surprised by all the rave reviews, Ninety-five percent on Rotten Tomatoes? There were so many gaps in logic (some of them huge) that I thought it was just OK. It was different, though. That was nice. If only the people making it had thought it through more thoroughly

On 4/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, Dejana said:

Of course...

A Quiet Place 2: Quiet Harder.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I finally saw this last night, and it was saved by the performances by Emily Blunt and the girl playing the daughter and having a different concept than most, but, good gods, was there a lot I'd have to overlook to really enjoy it.  My friend was very excited to show it to me, but I spent a lot of time grumbling at the TV.

First and foremost, how they seemingly found every red light bulb left in the world and a shit ton of candles but no condoms or other forms of birth control?  Even if there wasn't anything, have less sex - you have a calendar, use it - and resort to pulling out.  If one slips past, find a way to take care of it.  It was grossly irresponsible and downright stupid to get pregnant, and how the hell are they going to keep that kid quiet not just as a baby but as a toddler too young to understand the stakes?  Beyond the danger he poses, what kind of life is that for him?  One look at that fabric mobile and her pregnant belly, and I threw popcorn at the TV and said, "Oh, come the fuck on!"  I never got past it.

The other big thing was the lack of consistency between what the monsters could hear and what they couldn't. 

And there were so many little things.  How are any raccoons - a noisy species - still alive over a year later?  Why were the corn fields so well tended after the same amount of time?  With three confirmed monsters in the area, where where the other two once the truck - a truck that has been left sitting so long its tires will be flattened out - was set rolling down the hill?  How the hell did somebody run a printing press to generate newspaper accounts (that should have been online news).  Why didn't they utilize the river/waterfall more?  I know she just gave birth, but how did she sleep through the basement filling up with so much water?  How did a leak cause so much water in that span of time to begin with?  Why was there a nail where it was (instead of on the side, where it would actually attach to something), and why did it not have a head (or did but was nailed from underneath rather than above)?  And, really, no one but this one deaf girl figured out their strength was also their weakness, so sound was the way to take them out?

I think because most horror/thriller movies are bad, this one gets acclaim because it's above average, not because it's truly good.  If I'd got so caught up in the suspense so that I didn't ask any of these questions until later, that would be one thing.  But it created this potentially interesting world yet led me to spend far more time muttering about plot holes than gripping my seat to see what would happen given that world.  I didn't dislike it, and I didn't even find it gimmicky (like they'd purposely paid no attention to the internal logic because, oh, cool, no one's talking), but it was definitely a disappointment for failing to live up to its own potential.  I'll still see the sequel, though (not in the theatre, but on Blu-Ray, like I did this).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5