Type keyword(s) to search

Shipper Wars: Favorite And Least Favorite TV Couples

• Start Topic

On 2/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, JustaPerson said:

Ichabod and Abbie (Sleeping Hollow) -- technically never happened and I stopped watching the show back in season 1, but I liked them better as friends and dreaded when the show would inevitably put them together

I mean, this totally(not just technically) didn't happen lol. They teased it for half a season then killed Abby right the hell off. 

I'm still waiting for someone producer to put them on a show together again. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Watermelon said:

I mean, this totally(not just technically) didn't happen lol. They teased it for half a season then killed Abby right the hell off. 

I'm still waiting for someone producer to put them on a show together again. 

I liked them both as friends  / or lovers they just seemed to  complement  each other. I am still upset they killed Abby off , I have not watched it after that and I miss the humor  in the show. 

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 4:03 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Francis & Claire Underwood. (House of Cards)

I like them as a couple and I would like them as opponents too.

If we include reality TV, on Survivor I loved Sandra/Courtney and JT/Stephen. Not couples, but fantastic duos.

I think my favorite buddy / friendship couple is Alan Shore and Denny Crane.

I admit it I loved Sam and Diane together.  So much chemistry.  They were all wrong for each other but i really wanted them to work.

I was all in for Sam and Diane.  I actually cried ugly tears at the end of her last episode.  The dance, the growing old together marriage they would never have.  And it's rare that a TV show gets me to shed real tears.  Then when he wishes her a nice life... dammit, I still mist up.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, amaranta said:

I think my favorite buddy / friendship couple is Alan Shore and Denny Crane.

Oh yeah, I loved them. It showed how people that don't really think alike and don't have a lot in common could be great friends. It reminds me of the relationship I have with one of my best friends.

• Love 4
On 3/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, ChromaKelly said:

Juliette on Grimm.......I felt like there was a lot they could have done with her being a veterinarian once she was in on the Wesen world. 

Plus a million.  There is not ONE THING that bothered me more about Grimm than this.  While she was not a nagging girlfriend, she was for the most part a supportive but clueless girlfriend kept in the dark about what was going on - much like Wu.  She could have been MUCH more of a partner if her medical knowledge had come into play.  It was so hard to believe that she had been LITERALLY written as a vet if they were not intending for this to play a major role in the show.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
On 2/25/2017 at 4:55 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

While I also love the two named above, my ALL TIME, no comparison/can come close, is Shawn and Gus on Psych!*

Shawn: "I'm Black, he's Tan." (referring to Gus, while Gus nods in agreement) 

Gus: "You know that's right."

I second this.  And that is one of my absolute favorite episodes of Psych!

On The Office, I was a Jim/Pam shipper, but I also really liked the love/hate relationship of Dwight and Angela and Michael and Holly were dorky, but super cute together.

• Love 3

I've already sputtered about this in the Grantchester forum but will take any additional opportunity to decry the abomination that is Sidney and Amanda.

The show is set in Cambridgeshire in the 50s and is ostensibly a murder mystery. Anglican Priest Sidney Chambers is an observant sort of person and falls in with the town's police inspector to help solve crimes. All well and good.

Except there's Amanda. She's purportedly a friend but she and Sidney sure spend a lot of time together. Neither admits to any romantic feelings. She's posh and he's not. She then marries someone of whom her father approves and has a baby with him but decides she loves Sidney after all. Leaves her husband and runs back to Sidney, who is still, mind you, a priest who cannot marry a divorced woman. They're together, they're torn apart, they finally have sex. Sidney's going to leave the church for her, then he's not. They bring out the worst in each other and every bit of it is horrible and boring and can we please get back to the chummy crime solving?

• Love 7

A pairing I really hate is Korra & Asami from Legend of Korra. I was initially accepting of it, but I've just come to loathe it. And I will admit, it's mostly because of their asshole fanbase. They scream homophobe and whatever else at anyone who dares not bow down at the alter of Korrasami. LoK used to be an actual fandom. Now, it's an unwelcoming Korrasami echo chamber where any dissension is promptly stomped out. I blame Bryke and their fratboy jackassery to a large extent too.

I have a new favorite “couple”.... McDanno.  Even tho CBS won’t let the show actually state it, they allow ‘McDanno’ shirts w/the two of them slurping spaghetti ala Lady & The Tramp; Danny’s future visions include Steve, but no women; Steve flicks Danny’s ear gently w/his thumb; they snuggle a lot; and not to mention all the innuendo.

• Love 2

Don't know if I said it here, but another one of my favorite television couples (besides Jonathan and Jennifer Hart) is Tony and Maggie Petrocelli (Barry Newman and Susan Howard), from the 1974-76 NBC legal series Petrocelli, for reasons unknown. 

• Love 1

Betty and Jughead - I don't dislike them per se or prefer either with another character but I do find them ridiculously overhyped. The idea that either actor raises the Riverdale material or is above the rest of the cast in terms of talent is also laughable.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Tony and Maggie Petrocelli (Barry Newman and Susan Howard), from the 1974-76 NBC legal series Petrocelli, for reasons unknown. 

I loved that show, and they were great together!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Don't know if I said it here, but another one of my favorite television couples (besides Jonathan and Jennifer Hart) is Tony and Maggie Petrocelli (Barry Newman and Susan Howard), from the 1974-76 NBC legal series Petrocelli, for reasons unknown. 

I used to have the same briefcase as Petrocelli. I called it my "Petrocelli bag."

I love Mulder and Scully -- but only as platonic investigator partners. I absolutely detest that their romantic involvement is canon.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I loved that show, and they were great together!

You bet! It's one series I've gotten on DVD lately that I've seen from green flag (beginning) to checkered flag (end) (one of a select few), and the Petrocellis are just one reason why. 

Another reason is that the hometown backgrounds of the people who played the Petrocellis were brought quite often into the scripts, according to a recent book on Petrocelli by Sandra Grabman (Barry Newman originally being from Boston, and Susan Howard [born as Jeri Lynn Mooney] being from Marshall, TX). 

Here is that book on Petrocelli if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Petrocelli-Episode-Guide-Much-More/dp/1629332054/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514931825&sr=8-1&keywords=Petrocelli+book

Edited by bmasters9
Gotten many series on DVD lately; this is one of a select few
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Least favorite:  Niles & Daphne - no chemistry whatsoever.  It worked much better when he had a crush on her.

I agree! It was much better when  Niles was unhappily wed to the unseen Maris but had completely resigned himself to never being anything BUT married to Maris while nursing an unrequited crush on Daphne (and Daphne was, at best, a little flattered by it but didn't truly want it to go anywhere).  Yeah, this couple embodied the old saying 'after you get what you want, you don't want it'.

Edited by Blergh
to fer
  • Love 5

I hate Niles and Daphne because Daphne is underwritten, you have Niles, who is written to perfection, and lusts after a character with a personality so malleable and bland that it changed during the course of the series. They should have gotten a brand new character to pair with Niles who was way more interesting.

• Love 3

I want to add Jonathan and Jennifer Hart as a favorite-Their chemistry is just so natural and I buy them as really married. Plus they are Sydney Sheldon’s creation and Aaron Spelling’s version of Nick and Nora, and I personally love how they always call each other “Darling.” And I know that that is also an unpopular opinion, but I don’t care.

Just enjoying watching this in syndication right now on HMMC. (Hallmark Mystery Movie Channel.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I want to add Jonathan and Jennifer Hart as a favorite-Their chemistry is just so natural and I buy them as really married. Plus they are Sydney Sheldon’s creation and Aaron Spelling’s version of Nick and Nora, and I personally love how they always call each other “Darling.” And I know that that is also an unpopular opinion, but I don’t care.

Just enjoying watching this in syndication right now on HMMC. (Hallmark Mystery Movie Channel.

Have you tried getting Hart to Hart on DVD? It's out in full, whether you get it in the single seasonal releases from Sony and Shout! (Sony with the first two, Shout! with the last three), or get it in the all-in-one from Shout! (with redone keepcase versions of the original Sony releases). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Have you tried getting Hart to Hart on DVD? It's out in full, whether you get it in the single seasonal releases from Sony and Shout! (Sony with the first two, Shout! with the last three), or get it in the all-in-one from Shout! (with redone keepcase versions of the original Sony releases). 

No, I haven't yet. Are the reunion movies included? Never mind, I'll check them out. Thanks! Interesting that in season one's opening, when Max says "When they met, their hobby was Moirder!" to "When they met...it was Moirder!!!" I can watch them online on youtube. Which I'll have to do to see the last handful of season two, because HMMC went from S2E20 to S3E2 last week! The hell?

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No, I haven't yet. Are the reunion movies included? Never mind, I'll check them out. Thanks! 

Not a problem! The reunion movies are out; the trouble is, those are MOD releases, instead of regular DVDs like the series; thought you'd want to know. 

57 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Not a problem! The reunion movies are out; the trouble is, those are MOD releases, instead of regular DVDs like the series; thought you'd want to know. 

HOLY SCHMOLY GUACAMOLE!!!!! Eight movies, split into two volumes, each one about $51!!!!!! And the Complete Series at $69 and some change! I wonder if it would just be cheaper to buy the seasons individually. I think the first two were at $9 a piece/season.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to buy the seasons individually. I think the first two were at $9 a piece/season.

I think that getting the individual seasonal releases would be the better buy in that instance-- that's how I got my copies.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I think that getting the individual seasonal releases would be the better buy in that instance-- that's how I got my copies.

BAH! Only the first season is $9; each season thereafter ranges from $24.95-$29.99. Once I can save up the moolah, I'll get the entire series.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Since its come up on Shows That Don't Stand Up to the Test of Time, Samantha and Darren from Bewitched. The show lasted eight seasons and I still have no idea what Samantha saw in Darren or why she put up with him.    

All I can think of is that after centuries of being a 'creature of the wind' and being able to zap up whatever she wanted and pop where ever she wanted at a moment's notice, she wanted something more challenging (and perhaps she wanted a child without getting into the warlock dating circle). Then again, she knew she'd only have to put up with him for less than a century before he lived up to his tag and maybe use that experience to help her become more rounded. Perhaps, it was a means to declare autonomy from Endora  but Samantha  just wound up having TWO masters.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

All I can think of is that after centuries of being a 'creature of the wind' and being able to zap up whatever she wanted and pop where ever she wanted at a moment's notice, she wanted something more challenging (and perhaps she wanted a child without getting into the warlock dating circle). Then again, she knew she'd only have to put up with him for less than a century before he lived up to his tag and maybe use that experience to help her become more rounded. Perhaps, it was a means to declare autonomy from Endora  but Samantha  just wound up having TWO masters.

I can see why Samantha might want the challenge and experience of living normal or as normal as she could. Too bad she should have shop around more. I have no doubt there were tons of mortal men who would have treated her a lot better. You deserved better Samantha! 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Hybridcookie said:

I've been rewatching Dollhouse and will forever love Victor/Sierra Tony/Priya - who always seem to find each other, whoever they are at the time

I LOVE them. They're pretty much the only reason I might rewatch the show. Echo got really dull really fast and Caroline was annoying af.

• Love 1

Enver Gjokaj (Victor) was so much better an actor  than most of the others, especially Eliza Dushku, that it always took me out of the narrative.   In order for a show like this to have really worked,  ALL the actors would have been able to plausibly play many wildly different characters, which on the whole they could not.  No offense to Eliza Dushku who I find quite appealing as a performer - but this was a show that required a lead actress with a much larger range.  I did like Dollhouse a lot despite all that and I wish they'd been able to work it out better.  

• Love 7

I absolutely detest Darryl and White Josh on "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend." They're unbelievable as a couple and they have zero chemistry together. It feels like the writers put them together just to have White Josh do something other than be judgmental of his friends and their life choices.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I absolutely detest Darryl and White Josh on "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend." They're unbelievable as a couple and they have zero chemistry together. It feels like the writers put them together just to have White Josh do something other than be judgmental of his friends and their life choices.

I agree with you. They liked David Hull well enough that they created a part for him, but I don't think they ever really knew what they wanted to do with him. And on paper especially in season 1, his criticisms don't sound all that different from Greg or Heather.

• Love 2

Two and Three / Portia and Boone on Dark Matter. I love the (mostly) nonsexual partnership between the first two and the most definitely sexual partnership between their parallel universe counterparts.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Favorites: Chandler and Monica, Friends.  Ty and Amy, Heartland.  Eddie and Shaunee, Baywatch (I know, but I was younger then).  Woody and Kelly, Cheers.

Least favorites: Luke and Laura, General Hospital (don't marry your rapist.  It's icky).  Ross and Rachel, Friends. (They're both awful).  Corey and Topanga, Boy Meets World.  They're way too intense for high school kids. 

• Love 3
On 2/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, cpcathy said:

I hate Niles and Daphne because Daphne is underwritten, you have Niles, who is written to perfection, and lusts after a character with a personality so malleable and bland that it changed during the course of the series. They should have gotten a brand new character to pair with Niles who was way more interesting.

Or paired Niles with Roz. They had tons of chemistry, from what we saw of their witticism battles.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Or paired Niles with Roz. They had tons of chemistry, from what we saw of their witticism battles.

Nah. They were good as close friends, but not as anything more to me.

Yet I can see how people can view Daphne as underwritten though. I wish there was more to her. That said, I love her and Niles together :). One of my favorite ships. 

Speaking of witticism battles, Jarod and Ms. Parker from the Pretender had some good ones and had some very good chemistry. Totally shipped them.

• Love 10
On 2/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, Katy M said:

Favorites: Chandler and Monica, Friends. 

Yes, I liked them. I liked them even more as a couple in the alternate universe "Friends," where Chandler is an unemployed comic book writer and Monica is fat. There was a special sweetness about their pairing in that universe.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 6

Nikita and Michael (La Femme Nikita)- off the charts chemistry, complementary personalities, lots of romantic moments mixed in with the very reasonable angst. One of my very first favorite couples.

• Love 4

My favourite TV couples are usually based on a strong friendship and/or partnership: Kirk/Spock, Xena/Gabrielle, Mulder/Scully, Philip/Elizabeth (The Americans), Ichabod/Abbie before the writers and producers ruined everything etc. When you know they would die for each other way before their first kiss (if there's a kiss at all, I mean). The exception would be Hannibal/Will, which is way more toxic than I usually like, but absolutely fascinating. 

Other couples I love/loved: Maddie/David (Moonlightning), Sam/Diane, Chidi/Eleanor, Ross/Rachel (yup), Wolfgang/Kala, Vincent/Catherine (Beauty and the Beast, 1987) etc.

I hated Rick/Lori with all my heart. I was very happy when Rick and Michonne got together, but, tbh, she deserves better. I didn't hate Joey/Rachel, but it felt very weird and I don't think it was a good idea. Never been fond of Leonard/Penny either. Rumple/Belle was terrible, awful. And when I was a kid, Blake/Krystle (Dinasty) made me gag. 

• Love 7

Having recently watched Battlestar Galactica for the first time, finally, I have a new favorite: Laura Roslin and Bill Adama.  I don't think I have ever loved a love story more.  It grew organically (it was not planned from the outset), it progressed at the perfect pace, and the mutual love and respect was nearly palpable. 

• Love 3

Carol and Tandy from The Last Man on Earth own the worst list. Last night's episode, where they couldn't keep their hands off each other, scarred me for life. She was turned on by his glistening back hair, which he said had extra "push sweat" on it from his recent and gigantic bowel movement. Later she ate a garbanzo bean that was stuck in his disgusting beard. I have to think the whole episode was some kind of FCC violation.

I have no idea where this belongs and this is as close as it gets.  LOL

For some reason, I have the theme to Flambards stuck in my mind.  Flambards was a British TV series  A&E would later air in the 80's.  The theme song rattling in my brain reminded me how much I hated the female lead, Christina, marrying her cousin William because cousins marrying cousins have a high "ick" factor for me.   I didn't care that William died and when his brother, Mark, came back on the scene, I held my breath Christina wouldn't up my ick factor by marrying her now brother-in-law/cousin.  Thankfully, Christina ended up with Dick.  However, years later the author of Flambards decided she made a mistake and wrote a new book where Christina and Dick broke up and made Christina and Mark a couple.  I renounce that book!  Thankfully TV didn't follow her lead and a sequel was never made.  Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.  Now if only that blasted theme song would take leave of my brain.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1

I don't have any feelings one way or another on the cousin  thing but I loved the theme to Flambards.  

Edited by AuntieL
To put in an actual word as opposed to gibberish