Type keyword(s) to search

Shipper Wars: Favorite And Least Favorite TV Couples

• Start Topic

I always felt poor Abby was always way too insecure for Luka.

She became rude and snappish to him towards the end, almost like she didn't believe this guy would be with her, so she was going to hurt him before he inevitably hurt her. That said, I really didn't like the way he spoke to her at all. Telling her there "wasn't anything that special" about her when they were supposed to be a couple - what was that about?

The only couple I ever really cared about on ER was Doug and Carol. 

On the Star Trek front {and I feel like I should be ashamed} I really like Troi/Riker TNG and Paris/Torres Voyager.

Oh, the latter for me, for sure. Even back in Voyager's infancy of season 1, I noticed the Paris/Torres chemistry but was sure it would never happen because I was still licking my wounds from TNG's tendency to set up Picard and Crusher, only to be all, ha ha kidding! Suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised when Paris and Torres actually hooked up.

And since I brought it up: Picard and Crusher. Boy, did Jean-Luc and Beverly have chemistry that was off the charts.

• Love 5

^ I still think that Picard and Crusher got together after the show (movies) ended.

I forgot how much I enjoyed Tom and Be'lanna. They start of not really liking each other, to friends then they fall in love. And actually get married before having a kid.

Paris and Torres are right at the middle of the road of canon Trek pairings for me. Not my idea of an epic romance, but I don't hit the forward button on their scenes together.

Probably belongs in the UO thread, but after watching TNG a few more times, I'm kinda over Picrusher. What a cocktease of a not relationship that was. I though the episode in season seven where they finally address that was a nice way to put that to bed.

Speaking of Trek pairing, was there any reason given about the brief Worf/Troi thing? It just seemed so....random. I realize no one was thinking that Worf would cross over to DS9 two years later, but it was odd that he never mentioned her there.

@Anna Yolei , I don't think there was a reason other than the writers playing with it for a couple of seasons. They developed a friendship through the series and Alexander did bring them closer together. I didn't mind the ship and it felt organic to me in the sense they were friends and Deanna's abilities means she could not be prejudice by his public persona. I didn't like that they glossed over the relationship. They were friends, they became close, and it didn't work out. It was quite realistic in that way. I could see how it would last long term as well. I really enjoyed "Parallels" episode.

I did think that Troi had more chemistry with Riker, but I also got a bit irked with Riker for being written as a complete manwhore. At least Worf was more discriminating.

I never shipped Picard/Crusher because I could never really warm up to her. I think Picard has chemistry with almost everyone though. It's just Patrick Stewart.

Agree that Paris/Torres were a nice ship. Not epic, but probably one of the best written things out of Voyager. It showed a lot of growth for both of those characters.

Watched some The New Adventures of Lois & Clark clips and that Lois and Clark did have a lot of chemistry. It was fun, cute, and still poignant at times. Maybe because he was my first Clark, but I really think Dean Cain made a great one.

• Love 2

Watched some The New Adventures of Lois & Clark clips and that Lois and Clark did have a lot of chemistry. It was fun, cute, and still poignant at times. Maybe because he was my first Clark, but I really think Dean Cain made a great one.

Oh, me too! He's still amazingly beautiful, too. I got to meet him at Austin Comic-Con not this past year but the year before and what a gracious, warm, man. We talked about Lois & Clark, and also the Criminal Minds episode he recently did where he was an UnSub (Snake Eyes)! 

• Love 4

The more TV I watch (and, sadly, I watch an obscene amount!), the more I appreciate Firefly's Wash and Zoe, Raising Hope's Burt and Virginia and Joan of Arcadia's Will and Helen. All three couples were---IMO, of course---stable and secure without being 'boring' and endured their share of realistic conflicts without being depressingly dysfunctional and incompatible in the name of having 'chemistry', which...ugh, don't get me started! :)  They seemed to genuinely LIKE each other, which is in marked contrast to the many, many TV couples who can't seem to get along for a more than a few seconds as a time and hurl scathing insults at each other every time they open their mouths. (Nothing says true love like relentless, unfunny verbal assaults and continued reminders that two people make each other angry and miserable!) The Office's Jim/Pam fits this category for me as well, though their appeal faded for me a bit once they got together.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Perhaps my favorite TV couple:  Michael Scott and Holly on The Office.  They just seemed so perfect for one another, plus once Holly came along the character of Michael finally started to grow up.

I also liked:

Monica and Chandler

Jim and Pam

Eric and Tami Taylor

Jed and Abby Bartlet (on and off, but mostly on.)

Some of my least favorites:

Will go once again to The Office well - Michael and Jan.  That was just painful.

Joey and Rachel

Ross and Rachel

I must ponder; I know there are more for both lists.  Plus I've seen way too much Friends in syndication recently and I need a brain cleanse.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 5

Favorites: 

Mulder and Scully (sorry, I'm going against the grain here)

Carol and Doug from ER. Hotness, personified.

Sam and Diane from Cheers. My favorite TV couple of all time.  It doesn't scream at you, but there are moments in the first season you can see them slowly falling in love, especially on Sam's side. Broke my heart that they didn't end up together in the finale.

Least favorite:

Jim and Pam (ugh, so smug, so boring)

Leonard and Penny. Don't care, I don't see what he sees in her, besides the hot blonde thing.

• Love 3

John Sheridan and Delenn from Babylon 5 might skew more towards the "epic" side of "epic romance" (conversely, ironically, you have John Crichton and Aeryn Sun), but on the sheer chemistry of Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan...yeah.

On the flip side...there was Chakotay and Seven of Nine from Star Trek: Voyager.  It made no sense and was almost literally shoehorned in at the end of the series; its only saving grace is that it didn't have the chance to eat the show like some other relationships (coughMcKellercough) did.

• Love 3
(edited)

Favorites: 

Mulder and Scully (sorry, I'm going against the grain here)

Carol and Doug from ER. Hotness, personified.

Sam and Diane from Cheers. My favorite TV couple of all time.  It doesn't scream at you, but there are moments in the first season you can see them slowly falling in love, especially on Sam's side. Broke my heart that they didn't end up together in the finale.

Least favorite:

Jim and Pam (ugh, so smug, so boring)

Leonard and Penny. Don't care, I don't see what he sees in her, besides the hot blonde thing.

Definitely on those pairs! And I loved how in the finale.. 

things were updated as to how Doug and Carol were doing. So sweet :).

Favorites:

Perry Mason and Della Street! They were my very first ship. Before I even knew what the heck it was :P. I just knew there was something special between these two (am now a shipper of them in the romantic sense ;) -- it's been fun finding all of the innuendo and moments between them). Grew up watching the tv movies and am now watching the series.

Didn't know that the both of them had been friends irl since the 40's either (Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale)... so it just was pretty cool. It only added to it imo. And they both seemed to have fun with teasing both sides of the fandom -- those who wanted Perry and Della to get together and those who didn't. Love the fact that they were able to keep things going on for so long... doubt anyone will be able to beat their record (17 seasons over a period of 36 years (iirc)) any time soon. 

One of my favorite clip of those two (Perry and Della) that I came across on Youtube... such chemistry :).

Mulder and Scully -- Started to ship them as the show went on, around season 5 -- and I enjoyed being one due to Chris being so anti their relationship. Honestly, I was laughing my ass off when he said he was a shipper all along during the promotion of IWTB XD. Wow, was all I could think in that regard. Back onto M & S though -- these two have been through so much, both in show and due to writing O_o... that at the end of the day, that I'm happy that they're together. Warts and all, they kick butt. I'm proud of both David and Gillian for the work and effort that they put into them. 

Riker and Troi (TNG) -- My 1st REAL ship... meaning one that I was aware of in that regard. Enjoyed seeing their relationship grow and develop over the years.

Niles and Daphne (Frasier) -- One of my favorite ships! These two have really good chemistry and it was a pleasure seeing them interact. Love that they ended up together :). So romantic.

I'd make this list longer, but I need to move onto my least favorites...

Least favorites:

Ross/Rachel -- Never could understand why this one was SO popular. It just seemed rather bland to me, tbh.

Mulder/Diana Fowley -- *ugh* This one made me want to throw things at my tv back in the day. Good actress btw, but I REALLY hate the character. And there were times when she got on my nerves.

House/Cuddy -- I felt sorry for Lisa Edelstein for this one... her character really got shafted imho. HATED how this relationship ended and how things went down. Sick is all I can say here.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 2

Charlotte and Harry. I cried when he proposed!

Paul and Jamie Buchman

Dharma and Greg (but not those will they cheat plots)

Paul's mother and father on Mad About. You. When his heart beat faster when she came into the room... So cute!

Roger and Mona on Mad About you. The couple are married in real life and it shows.

Sean and Beverly Lincoln on episodes. Great actors and totally believe they are a married writing pair.

Least:

Don and Megan. Hopefully that's over now.

Emma and Neal. Please be dead, Neal.

Carrie and Aidan. Yuck. I preferred Carrie and Big (please don't throw gum at me).

Cersei and Jamie Lannister. Not just the incest but the couple seem so up attracted to one another.

• Love 1

And since I brought it up: Picard and Crusher. Boy, did Jean-Luc and Beverly have chemistry that was off the charts.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Beverly's late husband a good friend of Jean-Luc's and died under his command? That's a pretty big obstacle to overcome, especially to a buttoned-down man like Picard.

• Love 1
(edited)

Since we're talking Voyager, how about the weirdness, zero chemistry mess that was Neelix and Kes? So, so bad.

To me it seemed they were just friends (at least from Kes's pov), Neelix obviously wanted more. But I think their whole relationship was more of a cercumstance type of thing. They were both in a bad place a the time. She had just left home and got captured and he was lonely. And as they were on voyager longer their relationship grew to more of just freinds, of course until Kes left.

Edited by blueray

@AimingforYoko, that kinda thing happens all the time. People bond over their love for the deceased, and that bond becomes love. I don't see Jean-Luc having any difficulty in THAT quarter. I do think their mutual love/respect was a given throughout the show, but that it was up on a high shelf, unreachable. I did always feel they'd grow old together. 

• Love 1

Favorites romantic couples:

Brad & Jane (Damon Wayans Jr. and Eliza Coupe) from Happy Endings

Dwayne &  Whitley (Kadeem Hardison & Jasmine Guy) from A Different World

Riker and Troi (Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes) from Star Trek:TNG

Peter and Olivia (Johnathan Jackson and Anna Torv) from Fringe

Alisha and Simon (Antonia Frasier and Iwan Rheon) from Misfits

Allison and Carter (Sally Richardson Whifield and Colin Ferguson) from Eureka

Stef and Lena (Teri Polo and Sherri Saum) from The Fosters

Favorite Platonic couples:

Penny and Max (Casey wilson and Adam Palley) from Happy Endings

Abbie and Crane (Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison) from Sleepy Hollow

Zoe and Mal (Gina Torres and Nathan Fillion)

Pembleton and Bayliss (Andre Braugher and Kyle Secor) from Homicide:LOTS

Marc and Amanda (Michael Urie and Beckie Newton) from Ugly Betty

Least Favorite couples:

Carrie and Big from Sex and the City

Kurt and Blaine from Glee

Sookie and everybody from True Blood

Elena and Damon from Vampire Diaries

Daya and Bennet from Orange is the New Black

Andrea and The Governor from The Walking Dead

• Love 2

@DearEvette, I'm right there with you on your least faves, everyone except Blaine and Kurt! OMG they're adorable! I haven't seen their entire relationship as I stopped watching soon after they got together, but I'm curious why you don't like them? Did Blaine turn out to be a jerk?

Favorite Couples (All Time):

Ross & Rachel(Friends) - I get why people had their problems with them or hated them. The will-they-won't-they-shit got old really fast. In a way, as much as I loved them, I kind of resented Monica & Chandler a little bit because they got to be a couple that were stable and dealt with their problems together. Yet for some reason the writers thought R&R had to be drama all the time. But I still thought they had great chemistry and belonged together. As much as some people complain about it, I think if they hadn't gotten together there would have been a HIMYM type backlash against the show.

Piper & Leo (Charmed) - True soulmates and perfect for each other.

Merlin & Arthur (Merlin) - Not an official couple, but may as well have been. Truly outstanding chemistry.

Jack & Ianto (Torchwood) - Stupid RTD!

Favorites (Recent):

Mindy & Danny (The Mindy Project)- I just have to think about the recent finale and I get giddy. These two complement each other so well and the chemistry is amazing.

Mickey & Ian (Shameless) - Great actors, great drama, great chemistry.

Snow & Charming (Once Upon a Time) - Great couple. Lots of angst and yet they make it through together. They're sweet and yet have great passionate chemistry.

Least Favorite Couples (All Time):

Pacey & Joey (Dawson's Creek) - I know it's an UO but the more I had to hear about their vaunted chemistry, and the more I just didn't see it, the more I resented them. I hate a lot of other couples for the same reason. Plus, I loathe triangles and am not a fan of friends swapping partners.

Rachel & Joey (Friends) - What the hell were they thinking. They just did not have romantic chemistry and no way after so many years was I interested in these characters all of a sudden pairing up randomly.It was just awkward.

Arthur & Gwen (Merlin) - They were basically paired together because of the legend, and that was the only reason. So the show writers didn't bother to put any thought or effort into their pairing and just expected people to buy it.

Buffy & Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - Another one of those "the chemistry is supposedly so amazing and but all I see is meh" couples. Plus, Spike's out of nowhere obsession ruined his character and they made no sense together and were pretty disgusting.

Felicity & Ben (Felicity) - Why is Scott Foley in all of these horrid triangles where he's the designated loser and is so much the better option. I could not get over the finale. Sure Ben cheated for ages on Felicity because she couldn't get over her best friend's death fast enough. The solution - let's have Felicity have a crazy dream in which Ben isn't a cheater and later in the real world get back together with him because of...reasons.

Barney & Robin (How I Met Your Mother) - There were a lot of things I disliked about the final episode of HIMYM (the ridiculous waste of one season for a couple who get divorced five seconds later) and I might not have loved how the break-up was handled, but I can't say I wasn't deliriously happy that Barney & Robin didn't end up together. They were never right for each other and the show never should have went there again after the first disastrous try with them.

Least Favorite Couples (Recent):

Damon & Elena (The Vampire Diaries) - Just all the no in the world. Again, I don't think their chemistry is all that and even if their chemistry was amazing, those two are toxic together. They are amazingly bad for each other. I almost can't understand how people can want to see them together.

Scott & Kira (Teen Wolf) - I just find them overly cute, overly quirky, overly bland. I've seen more heat in couples from Saved by the Bell.

Emma & Hook (Once Upon a Time) - They just feel so forced and I don't think their chemistry is that great.

• Love 1

Ross and Rachel has been mentioned multiple times, but I have to agree they are one of the worst. Ross is a good and funny character except when it comes to Rachel where he turns creepily possessive. It's like he's a completely different character when it comes to her; someone who your mother warns you about. 

Trying to pair Rachel and Joey together was a mistake, but at least they have fun together. He respects her and won't tell her who she can and can't see, what job to have, and hide phone messages from her.

• Love 5

Merlin & Arthur (Merlin) - Not an official couple, but may as well have been. Truly outstanding chemistry.

Since Merlin was brought up, I always wanted him and Morgana to hook up. They had mad chemistry too. But since she became rather deranged, hate sex was eventually all I was hoping for. Sadly, I didn't get it.

• Love 1

Frasier and Lilith Crane. I LOVED them on Cheers and every time she showed up on Frasier they were still great and hilarious together. I always thought he should have ended up with her in the end

Totally agreed. I like most episodes of Frasier, but my very very favorite eps are those with Lilith. Total gold.

Another top couple for me are Harold and Jean Weir on Freaks and Geeks. Their relationship reminds me so much of my folks, and I love that Becky Ann Baker isn't slim and coifed. She looked like most moms of that time did.

Since Merlin was brought up, I always wanted him and Morgana to hook up. They had mad chemistry too. But since she became rather deranged, hate sex was eventually all I was hoping for. Sadly, I didn't get it.

I desperately wanted Merlin to have a girlfriend (I hated his obsession with Arthur) and actually liked the potential of him and Gwen. The actors didn't smolder, but they did have great chemistry. Gwen and Merlin had been through a lot together and had a strong foundation for a romantic relationship. But sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

FilmTVGeek80, I agree with you on both Ross/Rachel and Joey/Pacey. Oh and I can't agree enough with you about Ben/Felicity and the poor treatment of Scott Foley.

While I didn't like Joey/Pacey, I didn't really want Dawson/Joey either. The pairings I liked most on Dawson's Creek were Pacey/Andy and Dawson/Gretchen

I didn't think I would like Dwayne and Whitley but damned if I wasn't cheering when he interrupted the wedding.

It was mentioning up thread about crackships are a lot more interesting than when they actually become reality. I think this is mostly true with most ships. I think reality can never really match up to what we hope.

• Love 2

I desperately wanted Merlin to have a girlfriend (I hated his obsession with Arthur) and actually liked the potential of him and Gwen. The actors didn't smolder, but they did have great chemistry. Gwen and Merlin had been through a lot together and had a strong foundation for a romantic relationship. But sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

When I watched the first season for the first time, I didn't really think much of the idea of Gwen/Merlin, but after watching it a second time I saw how cute their chemistry was and I got mad that they just dropped the idea and moved her over to Arthur. I thought Gwen and Merlin had way more chemistry together than her and Arthur.

FilmTVGeek80, I agree with you on both Ross/Rachel and Joey/Pacey. Oh and I can't agree enough with you about Ben/Felicity and the poor treatment of Scott Foley.

Whew, glad to know I'm not alone, especially on the Pacey/Joey like. People just adore that couple and I never saw it.

I'm sure Scott Foley doesn't really care and is just happy for the pay check, but I hate that he's in the same position on Scandal. I'm sure most people realize that Jake/Olivia is not endgame, so I wish they would just end it and now and let Jake have some dignity.

I didn't think I would like Dwayne and Whitley but damned if I wasn't cheering when he interrupted the wedding.

That was such an awesome moment. I remember watching it with my family and we all lost our damn minds when he interrupted the wedding.

• Love 1

When I watched the first season for the first time, I didn't really think much of the idea of Gwen/Merlin, but after watching it a second time I saw how cute their chemistry was and I got mad that they just dropped the idea and moved her over to Arthur. I thought Gwen and Merlin had way more chemistry together than her and Arthur.

Hmm.  But if ever a couple was as "fated" by past works to have to happen as Clark Kent and Lois Lane, it would probably be Arthur & Guinevere.  Of course, in theory based on those works, that relationship is also fated to go bad in a major way eventually.

On the flip side...there was Chakotay and Seven of Nine from Star Trek: Voyager. It made no sense and was almost literally shoehorned in at the end of the series; its only saving grace is that it didn't have the chance to eat the show like some other relationships (coughMcKellercough) did.

God, was it ever. From what I gathered, the reason it was inserted was pretty much someone wanting to give Braga and Berman the finger onthe way out, since they weren't coming back for Enterprise. I think the latter's finale went a long way for deflecting the heat of Voyager's (which mayy be the only positive thing to come of that).

If I recall correctly, wasn't Beverly's late husband a good friend of Jean-Luc's and died under his command? That's a pretty big obstacle to overcome, especially to a buttoned-down man like Picard.

Not only that, but in one episode, it was implied that Picard gave the order that led to Jack Crusher's death.

I did ship this once upon a time, but between all of that, I'm kinda over it.

• Love 1

Oh my goodness, Frasier and Lilith.  Niles and Daphne.  I never would have thought of them for this category, but they were so great.  Lilith rules.

John Sheridan and Delenn from Babylon 5 might skew more towards the "epic" side of "epic romance" (conversely, ironically, you have John Crichton and Aeryn Sun), but on the sheer chemistry of Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan...

I'll be the one who disagrees.  In fact, I was reading through the thread just so I could post about how much I hated these two.  But then, I hated everything about Delenn and wouldn't mind Sheridan for myself, so yeah, not entirely objective on that score.

Romantic relationships - Loved:

Ma and Pa - Little House on the Prairie (cripes, I had to go back a long way before anything stood out!)

Coach and Mrs. Coach - Friday Night Lights, of course.  

Ann and Stuart - LA Law

Wow.  That is a sad little list.

Platonic relationships - Loved:

Lightman and Foster - Lie to Me (I never finished the series, so I assume they stayed platonic.  I thought their chemistry was off the charts.)

Ally McBeal and the Biscuit - Ally McBeal

Carter and Benton - ER

Alan Shore and Denny Crane - Boston Legal

President Bartlett, Leo McGarry, and CJ Cregg - The West Wing

Twisted relationships - Loved:
Baltar and 6 - Battlestar Galactica
Victoria and Conrad Grayson - Season 1 Revenge
House and Wilson - Season 1 House
Abby and her mom - ER (it was the first time I ever saw a relationship involving someone with a mental illness that rang true)

Relationships that I've hated:

Christina and Owen - Grey's Anatomy.  (And I've never liked Meredith and McDreamy either.)  Let's face it.  Just say no to Shonda Rhimes relationships.

Matt Saracen and the Latina caregiver - Friday Night Lights (I refuse to look up her name.)

Blaine and Kurt - Glee

Jeremy and Bonnie - The Vampire Diaries

Emily Thorne and Nolan - S1 Revenge ... I know it's not a romance, but I hated that Nolan put up with Emily.  It made it completely implausible that he was a genius.  

Honorable Mention - Comedy Pairings I Adore:

Tim Conway and Harvey Korman - The Carol Burnett Show

Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles - Whose Line is it Anyway

• Love 2

Favorites:

Luke/Lorelai (seems to be a UO around here but I loved them.)  I thought the time they were together in season 5 was wonderful.  Too bad they had to screw it up so badly.

Mulder/Scully.  I can get behind the idea that Scully deserved better because she was a queen and deserved the best of everything.  Still, I thought their chemistry was off the charts.

Joel/Maggie (from Northern Exposure).  Normally, they're the type of pairing I hate.  The bickering frenemies who secretly love each other.  But, these two made it work.  So bummed they didn't end up together.

Brittany/Santana.  The only thing I ever liked about Glee.  And of course, it was handled horribly.  Still, when they're just allowed to be together and let the actresses work their chemistry, I loved them.

Gob/Tony Wonder.  Hats off to Mitch Hurwitz for having the balls to go there. 

Least Favorites:

House/Cuddy.  Ugh, just ugh.  Started out as such a fun pairing.  Got bogged down by retconning their history into some starcrossed lovers thing.  It was downright abusive by the end.  Come to think of it, House/Everyone who isn't Wilson sucked pretty hard.  When David Shore said he was bad at writing romance, he wasn't kidding.

Dawson/Joey.  Dawson was insufferable enough on his own.  When Joey was with him or pining for him, she was so sour and pissy.  When they were apart, she just seemed happier.  She was certainly a more enjoyable chracter to watch.

Izzie/George.  No.  Just no.  Almost quit the show while that crap was going on.  Doesn't help that Callie's my favorite character and to see them shitting all over her in the name of "true love" or whatever pissed me off.

Callie/Arizona.  She's not good enough for her.  Mark is the only one who ever consistently treated Callie well.  My heartbreak over them never getting together will never heal.

• Love 2

My all-time favorite couple?  Homer and Marge.  They're so sweet in so many ways, I can't help but love them.

10 or 15 years ago, sure they were great.  But for the past couple of years, I really hated how they and everything else on that show has degenerated.  The "Homer and Marge are breaking up" plots are getting extremely tiresome, especially because Marge has gone from an average housewife who loves Homer despite his faults to a passive-aggressive ninny who finds faults with every little thing he does.  It's understandable when he does something stupid, but it seems like in recent episodes she gets upset or unsatisfied when he's just being himself.

So I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to have to put them under my least favorite TV couple.  Only my opinion of course.

Favorites:

Mulder/Scully.  I can get behind the idea that Scully deserved better because she was a queen and deserved the best of everything.  Still, I thought their chemistry was off the charts.

Joel/Maggie (from Northern Exposure).  Normally, they're the type of pairing I hate.  The bickering frenemies who secretly love each other.  But, these two made it work.  So bummed they didn't end up together.

Least Favorites:

House/Cuddy.  Ugh, just ugh.  Started out as such a fun pairing.  Got bogged down by retconning their history into some starcrossed lovers thing.  It was downright abusive by the end.  Come to think of it, House/Everyone who isn't Wilson sucked pretty hard.  When David Shore said he was bad at writing romance, he wasn't kidding.

I forgot about Maggie and Joel :). Those two were awesome. 

As for M & S, I don't subscribe to that to be honest. They were two hard working FBI agents who went through more than their share and ended up together. Agree about the chemistry though.

As for House/Cuddy, hell to the yes! They screwed this one up royally.

(edited)

Ahh maybe now i can stop subjecting people in 'real life' to my thoughts on tv couples, some of which they have never even heard of :D

Completely agree with those who have Sheldon and Amy as a least favourite. I thought they were brilliant at first, before Amy became so desperate to do the Coitus with him, and while she was still on the receiving end of his typical Sheldon oblivious rudeness, the same as all his friends, it hadn't yet escalated into he's just treating her badly and actually hurting her because she expects so much more as his proper girlfriend. I think Sheldon is totally believable as asexual and that is so unique and rare for a tv character, so it's uncomfy viewing on both there parts here!

I love Law and Order SVU and did see plenty of chemistry between Liv and Elliot so they would be one of my favourite Platonic best-friends type couples, but seen as i believe this thread is talking about romantic pairings i would have hated them being an actual couple, and although it never happened, in season 15 Liv does this whole monolgue to someone, clearly talking about Elliot where she says (paraphrasing) 'all those nights sitting in the car and you just want him to turn around and realise you're the woman he loves, who he would leave his wife for...but it was never gunna happen'. Just uggghhh. I hated this as it made Liv come across so pathetic! I would have believed Elliot doing a monolgue like 'all those nights sitting in the car and i wanted Liv to turn around and realise i was the man for her.. for her to leave Alex for me...but she's not into men so it was never gunna happen.' (ha yes Cabenson is my should have but never did and obviously the show never ever in a million years would have.)

Edited by electraheartnataly

Favourite couples:

Ross/Rachel: It gets a lot of hate but I don't care. I used to watch Friends with my friends and we all shipped them like crazy. We just loved them.

Mulder/Scully: They're my favourite het OTP. They were so important to each other... They were partners, best friends... I'm not that interested when two characters meet and there's that spark and that's all. I want friendship and complicity first. 

Xena/Gabrielle: I loved them and one of the reasons is the deep relationship they already had before they started with the kissing. 

Brian/Justin: Yeah, it was dysfunctional and Brian was a complete asshole, but I just loved them together. The actors had an amazing chemistry and I've never seen a straight actor kissing another dude as well as Gale Harold did. 

Philip and Elizabeth, from The Americans: Their relationship is fascinating, I'm in love with this show. 

Couples I hate:

Rick/Lori from TWD: No explanation needed.

Joey/Rachel: It was awful and awkard. And wrong. 

Bill/Alison from Melrose Place: They were SO boring...

• Love 1

I hate Owen and Cristina - Haaate them.  I felt like Cristina was always being punished by him for being well, Cristina.  Did he like anything about her?  He married her while she was in the throes of PTSD, he cheated on her, etc, etc.  I was so glad that her happy ending did not include him at all.

Arizona and Callie - I hate Arizona.  Never seen a more selfish character on a tv show.  She cheats and its everyone's fault but her own.  And she never apologized for it but Callie is still bending over backwards to win her back.

I actually hate all grey's anatomy couples except for Mer and Der now that I think about it.

I love Dominic and April on Chasing Life.  They are so low key and cute together.  I hope they stay together for a long time.

• Love 1
(edited)

Two more favorite votes for Eric/Tammy Taylor (FNL) and Jed/Abbey Bartlett (The West Wing). Marriage isn't always "happily ever after", sometimes it's damned hard work. We saw that with these two couples, but we also saw the deep mutual love and respect. 

ETA: Honorable mention to a pre-lottery Dan/Roseanne Connor (Roseanne)

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 6

I LOATHE Kurt and Blaine together. The latter is whiny and needy to a frightening extent, and I find the relationship toxic.

As much hate as these two, particularly Blaine, got at TwoP, I'm surprised it took nearly two whole pages to be mentioned. All of season five pretty much killed this pairing for me and now with Murphy's bread and butter 'ship having been torpedoed, there's no way they won't be endgame.

This one seems to engender a lot of mixed feelings (or indifference!), and it took me awhile to warm up to them, but I love Fringe's Peter/Olivia. I have my share of issues with the last two seasons of the show in general, but while rewatching the series I'm struck by just how much I love the connection between them...I'm even loving the "Faux"livia thing as an example of how Peter will always be drawn to some incarnation of Olivia in any and every universe :) I like that they're a nice blend of 'they get each other' similarities and complementary differences and that there really was a solid, loving friendship established before it evolved into more. 

• Love 2

Favourite couples:

Mulder/Scully: They're my favourite het OTP. They were so important to each other... They were partners, best friends... I'm not that interested when two characters meet and there's that spark and that's all. I want friendship and complicity first. 

Heck yea! You hit the nail on the head with that description. That's why I loved them too. Their love had to grow and develop before moving into a relationship. That's what was so cool.

• Love 1

This may be an odd favorite pairing but since WWE/wrestling forum is under the TV section, I am going with Macho Man Randy Savage/Miss Elizabeth. I know there were a lot of issues behind the scenes but on camera they were such a memorable couple from my childhood. I'm still amazed at how emotional a reaction they got from the crowd at WM VII when they got back together.

• Love 4

This may be an odd favorite pairing but since WWE/wrestling forum is under the TV section, I am going with Macho Man Randy Savage/Miss Elizabeth. I know there were a lot of issues behind the scenes but on camera they were such a memorable couple from my childhood. I'm still amazed at how emotional a reaction they got from the crowd at WM VII when they got back together.

I wish I could like this more than once! I've been watching the WWE Network and am loving the stuff with Elizabeth, I adored the both of them so much!  I remembered all the stuff from when he proposed to her, and when he was jealous because of Hogan.  And they had one of the few weddings that wasn't interrupted in wrestling LOL

So yeah, this x 1000! 

Eric and Tami Taylor own this thread for me, but I also was a Matt and Julie fan when she wasn't being dumb.

Will and Helen, and Luke and Grace on Joan of Arcadia.

Sydney and Vaughn.

Oh my goodness, Frasier and Lilith.  Niles and Daphne.  I never would have thought of them for this category, but they were so great.  Lilith rules.

This.

• Love 4

I think this was probably my first ship: Jack and Janet from Three's Company. They had great chemistry, knew he each other so well in the 8 years they roomed together, through all other roommates and landlords that rotated through... I was very annoyed disappointed that the last season was spent setting them up with other people. The Three's a Crowd spinoff would have worked better with Janet instead of some random that they had ended up casting.

• Love 2

Couples I liked:

Santana & Britney (Glee) - Probably the only pairing I ever liked in Glee besides Puck with Quinn or Rachel. I hated every other relationship from that show at one point or another, especially those involving Finn. 

Red Arrow and Cheshire (Young Justice) - Even as enemies these two had mad chemistry, and were surprisingly good for each other as a couple. Roy got Cheshire to abandon her life of crime for a while, and she was the only one who could snap him out of his "addiction" (finding the original Roy Harper from which he was cloned). It helps that they were both totally badass and had an adorable baby girl. 

Couples I hated:

Clark and Lana aka Clana (Smallville) - Does this one really need any more explanation? These two were just the worst! Though I hated Lexana just as much for pussy whipping Lex Freakin' Luthor of all people. 

Mako and Korra aka Makorra (The Legend of Korra) - One of the show's biggest mistakes by far, and that's saying something. There was honestly no point in getting them together at all. This relationship actually reminds me of Zuko and Mai, aka Maiko from the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series. Both were based on one-sided crushes and otherwise had little to no build up besides that, they were either being sickingly affectionate or fighting all the time, and both were constantly forced down the throats of whoever watched them. The difference is Maiko eventually got better; Makorra never did and I doubt ever will, especially now that they're broken up thank God.

Friday Night Lights: 

I liked both Tim/Lyla AND Lyla/Jason. While Tim/Lyla had the amazing chemistry, Lyla/Jason had the nostalgia factor that made it hard not to root for them. 

I liked Matt/Carlotta. This is such a unpopular opinion because her character was universally panned. But I never felt anything for Matt/Julie.

Coach/Tami goes without saying.

Suits:

I stopped watching Suits because Rachel is one of the most annoying characters on TV. It's a shame that the writers ended Mike/Jenny because that was where the chemistry was at. 

• Love 3
I stopped watching Suits because Rachel is one of the most annoying characters on TV. It's a shame that the writers ended Mike/Jenny because that was where the chemistry was at.

ITA about Mike/Jenny.  I suppose the writers didn't expect it, since Mike/Rachel was their plan all along, but Mike/Jenny had so much more spark.

• Love 2