Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Lisa's Story

• Start Topic

Maybe it should be somehow made even clearer: this is the diet, period.  You do NOT need to, or get to, work up to it gradually.
So many of the pounders have enablers who think this is how it should work.

• Love 3

Yeah “working up” to a diet is pointless. I will say personally that I feel that its ok for most people to have one last go at your favorite food before you start (because I wish I had) HOWEVER that does not mean a bottomless buffet, just like, your favorite sandwich, a steak, whatever. ONE thing. Unfortunately some of the folks on this show possibly couldn’t do that so its better to just start the diet right away.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NeitherSparky said:

Lisa's ep is on right now and...I just can't with this woman's bug eyes and duck lips.

I saw her episode starting and couldn't change the channel fast enough just like you NeitherSparky. It's her nonsensical melodrama, her lying, and especially that oh so s-l-o-w way of speaking that drives me nuts. I mean why do any of these people agree to be on this show when they have absolutely no intention of following directions?

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, LunaMia said:

Not surprised: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6095089/My-600lb-life-star-dies-aged-50-six-months-appearing-show.html

I’m actually more surprised we don’t hear of participants deaths more often. 

I cant' believe she was only 50. She's younger than me by a few years but looked like she was in her 60s. I agree that we don't hear about more deaths but I think we probably will going forward. 

• Love 9

Wow!   She certainly looked a lot older than 50.   

Wasn't she the one with Herburt the boyfriend, and he traded food for sex?  Wonder what he's doing now, or if he stayed around.     And a former heroin addict according to the article linked above, and that probably has a lot to do with her health issues?   They certainly don't mention a lot on the show with back story do they?  

So that makes three poundticipants this year, with James B, Robert and now Lisa.      Unfortunately, her death frees her children and grandchildren to go on with their lives.     

Actually, I'm sure with the extensive health issues on the show, I'm surprised the known death toll isn't much higher.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

She was probably  a former heroin addict (as opposed to current addict) because her caretakers drew a line in the sand and wouldn't go so far as to buy the drugs for her. Feeding her thousands of extra, unnecessary calories a day was something they had no problem with, but providing her with heroin was a hard no.

The People article I read said that her daughter claims her death was caused by illnesses she had, and was unrelated to her weight. Ya, right. The level of delusion in these families is mind-boggling. 

https://people.com/health/my-600-lb-life-lisa-flemming-dead/

Edited by flappa1016
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Unfortunately, her death frees her children and grandchildren to go on with their lives.   

UnFortunately, her death frees her children and grandchildren to go on with their lives. 

Fixed that for you. This woman was irredeemably loathsome. Now maybe the rest of her family has a chance. 

• Love 11

I bet this doesn't give her daughter, and other relatives that are well on the path to reaching her weight, and poor health, that they should fix their lives now.    It's sad to see someone that young ignoring the fact that they will very shortly be in the same situation as their mother and grandmother. .     The daughter denying that her weight had nothing to do with it is ridiculous.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I cant' believe she was only 50. She's younger than me by a few years but looked like she was in her 60s. I agree that we don't hear about more deaths but I think we probably will going forward. 

I'm 48 and I feel I look like a goddess next to her.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, flappa1016 said:

She was probably  a former heroin addict (as opposed to current addict) because her caretakers drew a line in the sand and wouldn't go so far as to buy the drugs for her. Feeding her thousands of extra, unnecessary calories a day was something they had no problem with, but providing her with heroin was a hard no.

The People article I read said that her daughter claims her death was caused by illnesses she had, and was unrelated to her weight. Ya, right. The level of delusion in these families is mind-boggling. 

https://people.com/health/my-600-lb-life-lisa-flemming-dead/

The People article says Lisa got weight loss surgery on the show, but I thought Dr. Now sent her home without getting the surgery.  Was there an update show where she went back and got the surgery?    

Edited by Ohwell

I am sorry for Danielle. Losing your mom is awful even when she’s a manipulative horror show like Lisa. But it looks like Danielle might be gearing up to be the next attention seeker in the family. The article I read quotes her as saying “Y’all pray for me, check on me, come see about me because I am not ok! I love my mama & I wouldn’t wish this pain on my worse enemy.”

Who says stuff like that? 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, LunaMia said:

Not surprised: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6095089/My-600lb-life-star-dies-aged-50-six-months-appearing-show.html

I’m actually more surprised we don’t hear of participants deaths more often. 

And, in the article I read, Danielle stated that her mother’s death wasn’t weight related because she had recently lost 90 pounds.  Her body had simply given out.

Of course her body gave out and that is due to years of supporting all of that weight.  Danielle is still in denial. That’s the problem with families with addiction. The addict is in denial and the family is in denial which is why they continue to enable.

There is a simple fact about addiction. You stop one of two ways:  either you get clean, or you die. Drugs usually kill your fast, alcohol can take decades as can morbid obesity.  Either way, you stop using.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 12

Wow. 50, huh? Guess I blocked that out. I though mid-60’s. 

I’m hesitant to celebrate anyone’s death, but she was quite loathsome. My first thought after reading the People article (after “holy shit, she was only 50?!”) was now her children are freed from her oppression and can set themselves up for succe—oh, never mind. Which one was Danielle? I remember I really liked one of her daughters. 

That article, her daughter states her death wasn’t related to her obesity. Uh-huh. Like short of her fat physically rearing up and strangling her, nothing could have been due to her obesity. “Her body was just tired”, yeah, that’s all. 

• Love 18

Danielle was the daughter who was rather large herself, but still took care of her mother.   She's the one that went back home to a teaching job, and at the end she brought her kids to see Lisa.     Lisa's also the one that had maggots in her skin folds.   She was from Mobile, Alabama, and stayed in Houston apparently.     I don't think she ever had the surgery.   In fact, towards the end of the episode she was supposed to go see Dr. Now, but instead claimed all kinds of issues and was taken to the ER.   

I hope I got all of that straight, I keep getting the show 'stars' mixed up.   Danielle is the one that when her mother did the online talk with Dr. Now said the diet starts now, and wouldn't give her the Coke she wanted.   However, if I remember correctly she got a giant bowl of Fruit Loops to eat before the platoon of firemen, and EMTs hauled her down the ramp and out to the ambulance, and her family all waved bye-bye to her, and every family member had a huge grin on their faces.   Danielle is also the one that cooked her mom breakfast with rice, and a bunch of sliced cheese on top, and the entire plate had enough calories to feed everyone on this board for a week.  

Lisa's also the one who yelled "Hit me Daddy" as the EMTs and firemen dragged her out the door of the house.   It's a gambling term I think.   Lisa was also the one with the bad ass nutritionist who did a house call, and found a million calories of doughnuts, pizza rolls, pizza, and who knows what in the fridge, and everything was blamed on Herburt.     I'm sure Herburt either had to go dumpster diving for the food, or run back to the store right then to replace it all.    She's also the one who claimed she didn't want to wake up in the hospital, so Dr. Now put her on suicide watch.    Before that she was in the hospital for two months for various reasons, and lost weight at first.     

Wasn't she the one that was gaining in the hospital again, and Dr. Now found a potato chip bag in her folds while looking at the infection on her leg?    

Lisa was also the one that blamed her weight gain on her mother's death, but she was over 400 at the time already.   And the mother supposedly blamed Lisa's brother's murder on Lisa.    I bet that was about the time of the heroin use?    If so there's a lot more to that story, and what actually happened.  

She's also the one who yelled at Dr. Now and said something about him "making the big bucks" after all of his years of education, and his hard work. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 13

So I had to read that to remember which one Lisa was.  Vile, nasty woman.  Yeah, nothing about her obesity caused her death. Riiiiiiighht. And did I read it right that her daughter sat there and held her dead mothers hand for 4 hours??  What the actual fuck? 

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

So I had to read that to remember which one Lisa was.  Vile, nasty woman.  Yeah, nothing about her obesity caused her death. Riiiiiiighht. And did I read it right that her daughter sat there and held her dead mothers hand for 4 hours??  What the actual fuck? 

Right?! It’s not like her death came out of nowhere! For fucks sakes, she had maggots thriving in her skin folds. Folds large enough to conceal a damn bag of chips. The daughter is so over the top about all of this. And this was the daughter I was really rooting for. Sigh  

• Love 8

Now I have a problem.     I keep having "Another One Bites the Dust" through my head.   At least I think it's the title of the song.     I'm going to get my gasoline soaked drawers and a ticket on the bus to hell for that, but I'll be in great company. 

Maybe her daughter is just giddy with the fact that she and the rest of the family are now free to live their lives, like the people were when World War II ended.   I wonder if the begging for funeral funds has started yet?    I can only imagine what that funeral will cost too.    90 pounds off only puts Lisa in the 500+ range, and who knows if she actually lost any, so were talking huge coffin, probably two plots, extra everything else too.    Bet they have to rent a box truck to use as a hearse.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Now I have a problem.     I keep having "Another One Bites the Dust" through my head.   At least I think it's the title of the song.     I'm going to get my gasoline soaked drawers and a ticket on the bus to hell for that, but I'll be in great company. 

Cue Weird Al's "Another One Rides the Bus" ?

10 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Was she the one who claimed she was so "knowledged"?

That was Schenee.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe her daughter is just giddy with the fact that she and the rest of the family are now free to live their lives, like the people were when World War II ended.   I wonder if the begging for funeral funds has started yet?    I can only imagine what that funeral will cost too.    90 pounds off only puts Lisa in the 500+ range, and who knows if she actually lost any, so were talking huge coffin, probably two plots, extra everything else too.    Bet they have to rent a box truck to use as a hearse.   

Yeah.  Talk about dead weight!

• Love 2

She never lost any weight, I just watched the episode. She gained it all back and probably more.  She never had any surgery so her daughter must be as delusional as she was. Dr. Now kicked her out of the program after having a full psych eval done on her.

She had absolutely no desire to lose weight.  She just wanted to be waited on while she laid in the bed as Dr. Now said.  Yes, the bed with the chip bag in it.  lol

I hope the daughter snaps out of it because there were a lot of little kids which I assume were hers.  She needs to lose her own weight and give those poor kids a chance at a decent life. Not another generation of that mess.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The People article says Lisa got weight loss surgery on the show, but I thought Dr. Now sent her home without getting the surgery.  Was there an update show where she went back and got the surgery?    

I've read a few articles about it. Some claim she lost 200 lbs after undergoing weight loss surgery, and others say she recently lost 200 lbs (making no mention of the surgery). My recollection of the show is that she only lost weight during forced hospitalizations, but was unable to maintain the losses after discharge. I thought she was one of those know it all patients that fired Dr Now so she could do it her way <eye roll>.  I highly doubt she managed to get 200 lbs off on her own.  More spin by delusional family members.

• Love 7

Because I'm one sick puppy, I want to know how any funeral home managed to get her out of the house.  This will be one expensive funeral considering the "extra special" circumstances for a 700 lb guest of honor.  I'm not buying the "She lost 200lbs" crap for one second .

I wonder if Dr. Now signed the death certificate?  He talks about such things a lot.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2

My guess is the local coroner had to call in the EMTs and fire personnel we see hauling these people in and out of cheap apartments all of the time on the show.      

She actually gained weight in the hospital didn't she, thanks to Herburt (that's really how his name is spelled).   I know she had gained a lot in the end of the episode, and that was  when she claimed she was in so much pain that she had to go to the ER instead of her appointment with Dr. Now.    That's when she kept harping on the fact that Dr. Now made the big bucks.     

I looked through the entire thread, and I didn't find anything about her  getting surgery, or even close to it,  because even Dr. Now couldn't hack his way through her huge stomach rotunda, and her total denial that she had to lose weight for surgery.    She had infections with her skin so many times I doubt she would ever be cleared for surgery anyway.       

Unless she was dragged over to Mexico for surgery, where if you pay for it, you get it, then I'm doubting she ever had WLS, and I don't know how she would finance that or even survive the surgery.   People magazine probably went with an interview with the daughter, right before deadline and published the statement verbatim.    

If anyone is really desperate, then Herburt's available now, and he's a cheap date, just a few dozen donuts would do it with him.   Remember though, he was the one who was stroking her face when she got upset, and I find that totally repulsive.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If anyone is really desperate, then Herburt's available now, and he's a cheap date, just a few dozen donuts would do it with him.   Remember though, he was the one who was stroking her face when she got upset, and I find that totally repulsive.   

Oh, god, I would have smacked anyone touching my face like that.

• Love 5

Maybe some of Dr. Now’s new patients will listen when he gives the “you’ll be dead in a year” speech.

Frankly, until this year, I felt like that speech had become pretty hollow. I know Henry died years ago, but Dr. Now’s patients just seem to keep on eating and gaining. And eating more. And gaining more. And they didn’t ever die. No, they still lived to torment their caregivers, health care providers, and emergency responders. 

Meanwhile, people who have lived healthy, responsible lives find themselves dealing with - and dying from - cancer.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, JJ1 said:

Maybe some of Dr. Now’s new patients will listen when he gives the “you’ll be dead in a year” speech.

Frankly, until this year, I felt like that speech had become pretty hollow. I know Henry died years ago, but Dr. Now’s patients just seem to keep on eating and gaining. And eating more. And gaining more. And they didn’t ever die. No, they still lived to torment their caregivers, health care providers, and emergency responders. 

Meanwhile, people who have lived healthy, responsible lives find themselves dealing with - and dying from - cancer.  

Yes to everything you said but especially the bolded sentence. Not only those dying from cancer, or other fatal diseases, after fighting with all their might to live but also all of those obesity related deaths by folks who were "only" 100, 150 or, 200 pounds overweight. Yet the James K's or Pennys of this world go on and on.

I would recommend that, going forward, all future poundticipants be contractually required to watch Lisa's episode, while sitting next to a TLC producer of course, if they want to be a patient of Dr. Now. However, since so many of these people are completely delusional and/or insist that they can do it their way, who knows if even Lisa's story would have any impact on their behavior.

• Love 6
On 8/24/2018 at 7:12 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

Was she the one who claimed she was so "knowledged"?

That was Schnee, I believe.  Another person I would loath to spend 5 minutes in her company.

20 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yes to everything you said but especially the bolded sentence. Not only those dying from cancer, or other fatal diseases, after fighting with all their might to live but also all of those obesity related deaths by folks who were "only" 100, 150 or, 200 pounds overweight. Yet the James K's or Pennys of this world go on and on.

I would recommend that, going forward, all future poundticipants be contractually required to watch Lisa's episode, while sitting next to a TLC producer of course, if they want to be a patient of Dr. Now. However, since so many of these people are completely delusional and/or insist that they can do it their way, who knows if even Lisa's story would have any impact on their behavior.

Look at how many musicians have died of a drug overdoses and that fact has not influenced countless others to go down the same path.  Denial is the nature of addiction and no matter how much you see it around you, you deny that it has anything to do with you because you’re not an addict.  You got a hit your bottom and everyone’s bottom is different.  One would think that finding maggots in your fat folds would constitute your bottom, but in this case, evidently not.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 3

My comment comes after the announcement of Lisa’s death by her daughter, Danielle, who is either in denial about why her mother passed away at 50 years of age (yes, it was reported that this woman was ONLY 50) OR she was trying to prove everyone that predicted her death from obesity wrong.  Danielle has reportedly said that Lisa’s death was caused by another condition, unrelated to obesity.  It’s hard to imagine ANY illness could trump the degree of obesity Lisa had unless it was suicide and because of her mobility issues (she was still not mobil even after her supposed recent 200 lb. weight loss) her method of suicide would have been very limited.  Even if Dr. Now had approved Lisa for the gastric sleeve or by-pass, it is highly doubtful she would have been successful with her inability to control any aspect of her eating habits.  As a person that had gastric by-pass surgery in 2004 (and has kept off the 130 lbs. I lost afterwards), I know how easy it is to eventually be able to overeat, thus gradually stretching out the small pouch that is created for the small meals you must continue to eat in order to keep the weight off.  Without addressing all the psychological problems Lisa had that caused her to prefer food to quality of life, she would have never been successful at losing the weight.

I have seen every episode of My 600 Lb. Life and Lisa and Steven Asante were 2 of the worst patients profiled.  However, in my opinion, Penny (one of the earliest people shown on the show) was equally as bad.  She actually HAD the surgery yet she lost no significant amount of weight at all but kept claiming that she could feel the weight falling off DESPITE what the scale said!  All the while, cameras rolled at her home as she ate meal after meal of fattening foods in huge portions.  All I can assume is that she threw up a lot of that food afterwards because the size of her pouch after surgery couldn’t have ever held all that food.  

Rest In Peace, Lisa.  While I’m sure your family will miss you, your death has given them back their life.  So sad for all of them.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tee hee CrazyInAlabama I have both your sopping wet drawers and mine, and I too will be joining you on that bus!

Seriously though, if I am to be totally honest, I really don't feel any sadness at her passing just relief that she can no longer enslave her loved ones--yes, even if they volunteered--to wait on her ungrateful ass hand and foot, bringing her mountains of food, and putting up with her self-serving bullshit. I do feel sorry for the grief and pain her death has caused her family but I wonder if deep down if indeed they are, as you so aptly put it, secretly giddy not having to face another year having to care for someone whose solution to being dependent and bed bound was in her own hands with free expert assistance from Dr. Now.

Edited to add: Kudos to you for your great synopsis of her episode including a reminder about both a potato chip bag and maggots being found in her folds. Eeeeeew.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 2

Yes, I went through all seven pages of the original thread, because I get people confused.    I get Lisa mixed up with the other one from Valdosta, GA (the one who said something to Dr Now about her bikini body, and on her FB page had a crocheted pink bikini, and apparently made her living with nasty pictures, and regularly went to the beach-she had to stop after an hour on the road, so much for her routine about never leaving her bed for years, ).   After a while all of the sad, delusional people kind of blend together.    

I loved the picture of the ambulance driving away (after the combined effort of the EMT and fire department in Mobile, the giant bowl of Fruit Loops, and the Hit me Daddy shoutout) and her entire family grinning, and waving bye-bye because they were liberated.   I bet her remarks about her mother being mean were because her mother knew she was a liar and a user, and the father gave in all of the time.      

I hope this is a wake up call to her daughter, and the others who were so overweight, and they do something now before they end up 600 pounds, and bed bound.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, I went through all seven pages of the original thread, because I get people confused.    I get Lisa mixed up with the other one from Valdosta, GA (the one who said something to Dr Now about her bikini body, and on her FB page had a crocheted pink bikini, and apparently made her living with nasty pictures, and regularly went to the beach-she had to stop after an hour on the road, so much for her routine about never leaving her bed for years, ).   After a while all of the sad, delusional people kind of blend together.    

I loved the picture of the ambulance driving away (after the combined effort of the EMT and fire department in Mobile, the giant bowl of Fruit Loops, and the Hit me Daddy shoutout) and her entire family grinning, and waving bye-bye because they were liberated.   I bet her remarks about her mother being mean were because her mother knew she was a liar and a user, and the father gave in all of the time.      

I hope this is a wake up call to her daughter, and the others who were so overweight, and they do something now before they end up 600 pounds, and bed bound.  

Yeah, I get a lot of them mixed up too. Over the many seasons that I have watched this show I have become more and more cynical about a lot of the very self-serving back stories of some of these subjects although, if true, the one she told about her mother blaming her for the death of her brother which made her weep, did tug at my heart strings.

I think that any compassion I may have had for Lisa went out the window with all her lies, excuses and manipulations especially her trying to con Dr. Now that she was suicidal. That really pissed me off. With so much in the news these days about suicide and the lack of mental health resources, it was truly infuriating that, because she actually told Dr. Now she wanted to blow her brains out, he had to use precious resources and place her on suicide watch along with a full psychiatric evaluation which should have gone to someone who really needed that assistance.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 13

My guess is the reason the mother blamed Lisa for the brother's murder was that it was during her heroin addiction, and the brother either tried to interfere and got killed in the process, or the mother thought Lisa was getting the brother addicted and he was killed by a dealer, or in some kind of related scenario.      

• Love 7

I think hers was one of the first episodes of this show I had watched.  Can't say I feel bad about her passing.  Her quality of life was nil and unlikely to improve, and she was negatively affecting her family.  Now she is no longer suffering, her family is free to live their own lives (and hopefully learn to eat better so as not to become like her) and healthcare system if free of the black hole that she was (no matter how much time and effort and resources were put into her, she did pretty much the same, and that is poorly).   Overall, no negative outcomes for anyone involved in this situation, cynical as it may sound.

• Love 10
On 8/24/2018 at 7:06 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And now I've got the *parody* of "Another.." running thru my head: 

"Another one rides the bus..." (your bus to hell.)

• Love 4

I can buy that Lisa had another health condition, however, whatever it was was most definitely not helped by her obesity. I only play a doctor on the internet, but I would imagine being that obese would really throw everything out of wack, including your immune system and any kid of illness can be dangerous. 

I guess ole Hurbert is going to have to find someone else to please for his donuts.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 7

I'm re-watching the episode on demand. This is the woman who ate white riced with slices of American cheese mixed in for breakfast, along with a huge side of scrambled eggs and turkey sausage because turkey sausage is much healthier than pork. She's also the one who had maggots in the folds of her fat.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 12:10 PM, libgirl2 said:

I don't think any of the 600 pounders ever make it to 60. Ever.

19 hours ago, Kid said:

That was Schnee, I believe.  Another person I would loath to spend 5 minutes in her company.

Look at how many musicians have died of a drug overdoses and that fact has not influenced countless others to go down the same path.  Denial is the nature of addiction and no matter how much you see it around you, you deny that it has anything to do with you because you’re not an addict.  You got a hit your bottom and everyone’s bottom is different.  One would think that finding maggots in your fat folds would constitute your bottom, but in this case, evidently not.

Sadly, for Lisa, her bottom was death.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Here ya go. 

Oh, I will soooo get you back for that. :-D

It's a small world after all

It's a small, small world.....

• Love 4
On 8/25/2018 at 12:30 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

On the Dr. Now failure list, I suspect that almost all of them will be gone within five years. And, many of them who are successes shift into the failure category as they start to revert to type. (Approximately 95% of them.)

We will see more and more my 600-pound deaths. I would say the ones over 40 are at the biggest risk. And, the ones who are bedbound. Also, the ones who are in the 700-800 pound range. (For instance, Sean is young, but he was also nearly 1000 pounds. His body won't forget that strain as he starts to gain it back.)

• Love 2