Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Lisa's Story

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I must have left the room when they showed maggots.  Was that when Hurbert was showing Dr. Now something on her leg in the hospital room?  I just thought that was dead skin. Dr. Now, didn't seem too alarmed by it. 

I'm not sure they showed it.  Supposedly her daughter found the maggots and that's why they contacted Dr. Now.

• Love 3

They didn't show the m

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I must have left the room when they showed maggots.  Was that when Hurbert was showing Dr. Now something on her leg in the hospital room?  I just thought that was dead skin. Dr. Now, didn't seem too alarmed by it. 

They didn't show the maggots but I think that was the part where he showed Dr Now the fungus. I remember seeing that. Maggots and fungus!!! 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

I honestly disliked her as much as I did Steven A....she was almost as awful as him, not quite but close.

I'll take the opposite side - I think Assanti was incrementally less loathsome than Lisa.  Lisa has held multiple children and grandchildren hostage to her addiction, which in my book (I'm not a lawyer, so this is a moral rather than a legal judgment) is egregiously abusive.  Assanti appears to have one child-abuse victim to his credit:  his brother.  So I say they're close, but by a tiebreaker in the category "quantity and egregiousness of child abuse" I give the 600-pounder gold medal to Lisa.  Her podium speech will start with, "Hit me, Daddy!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

Her eye rolling when she was told how much weight she had to lose and what she wasn’t allowed to eat told me in that instant that she deep down did not give two shits about losing weight. She acted like a child being scolded instead of a responsible adult trying to participate in her own recovery. Dr. Now is basically dragging her ass through this process while she does everything possible to delay, prevent, and obstruct any sort of effort at progress. I have no hope for her.

She is worthless and he should basically shove her out on an iceberg and leave her to her self-made fate.

• Love 16

I felt terrible for her upbringing and how her mom forced her to eat a whole cake (terrible punishment by the way) and blamed her for her brothers death....but her yelling and screeching was unbearable and I found the whole thing really depressing. I may actually quit watching thats how sickening this particular episode was to me. sad, sad sad.

• Love 4

Oh, Lord, I'm 45 minutes into this dreck, and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it.

Lisa is one of the most petulant, ungrateful assholes I've ever seen on this show (and that's saying something). Watching her talking to Dr. Now, rolling her eyes, snorting derisively, and grunting unhappily makes me furious. The only thing that's worse is watching her order around her so-called "loved ones," yelling at them and making ridiculous demands. Her bigger daughter looks like a whipped dog. And I, quite literally, laughed out loud, when Dr. Now asked to talk to the daughter, as if he wanted to meet his future patient. (She's not too far off, either.)

Does this woman do anything other than complain? If so, we haven't see it. "The food doesn't taste good!" Who fucking cares? Good-tasting food is how you got into this mess, so eat what you're given and shut the hell up. 

Did I see her family grinning broadly as the ambulance drove away with Danielle squealing in it? I can't blame them for being desperate for a respite from her caterwauling. 

MAGGOTS. HOLY SHIT. 

Why do so many patients on this show seem so damn surprised when Dr. Now tells them that weight loss involves actual dieting? Lisa looked positively gobsmacked. "You mean I can't drink Kool Aid and eat fried chicken and still be skinny? Whaaaat?" Yeah, you don't say. Such groundbreaking information.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 23

While I appreciate Dr. Now's attempts to help people like Lisa it seems rather pointless to try and help someone who doesn't want help. What bugs me is the massive amount of resources spent on someone who has no intention of changing their habits. 

Lisa is a master manipulator. 

• Love 23

Herbert is less strict about her diet, huh? Well, thank the maker for that. The last thing a 700-lb woman prone to maggots between her fat folds needs is someone who's too hard on her about food.

That talk with the nutritionist is positively nauseating. Someone please tell me that she didn't just insinuate that she provides Herbert with ice cream when he provides sexual favors. Please. I'll provide a non-food related treat for anyone who tells me this. Watching her cross her arms and command the nutritionist put the ice cream back is freaking hilarious. Yeah, you call the shots. What are you going to do if (when) she says no? Chase her down?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17

I thought people were joking about the maggots in the live chat thread.

Oh. My. GOD!!!!!

I'm afraid to say it can't get worse than this, because every time I had that thought during the show's worst moments, something even worse would come...

• Love 4

"I don't know how you're going to do it, momma, you just love your fruit."

Right then I knew the daughter was in as much denial as the mother.  Because that's how you eat yourself to 700 lbs: strawberries, watermelon and grapes.  Or else they edited out her saying "loops". 

The nutritionist took away their vegetable oil. This just makes the whole profession look bad. No one ever used too much vegetable oil in their cooking to become 700 lbs either. 

Possibly the worst episode of this show, ever. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, dahling said:

"I don't know how you're going to do it, momma, you just love your fruit."

Right then I knew the daughter was in as much denial as the mother.  Because that's how you eat yourself to 700 lbs: strawberries, watermelon and grapes.  Or else they edited out her saying "loops". 

The nutritionist took away their vegetable oil. This just makes the whole profession look bad. No one ever used too much vegetable oil in their cooking to become 700 lbs either. 

Possibly the worst episode of this show, ever. 

I think the point about taking away the oil was that this is a Southern woman and in the first episode you see the daughter deep frying chicken.  Fatty fried foods (in oil) are out.  If she is going to eat oil on a salad it would be olive oil.  They aren't saying the oil ITSELF is bad - but what HOW is Herburt using it?

• Love 16

I have been staring at that same dingy, yellowing pillowcase this whole episode. She has it with her whether she is in the hospital or the apartment. That pillow was used as a “modesty cover” during her transport. I am guessing it has hardly seen the inside of a washing machine the whole time.

• Love 16
53 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

I felt terrible for her upbringing and how her mom forced her to eat a whole cake (terrible punishment by the way) and blamed her for her brothers death....but her yelling and screeching was unbearable and I found the whole thing really depressing. I may actually quit watching thats how sickening this particular episode was to me. sad, sad sad.

She said that but I wonder  how much  of it was  true. If my mother  was that abusive  I would  not go into  a deep depression  and eat myself  bedridden . I am not saying  it did not happen  we only have her word on it.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I think the point about taking away the oil was that this is a Southern woman and in the first episode you see the daughter deep frying chicken.  Fatty fried foods (in oil) are out.  If she is going to eat oil on a salad it would be olive oil.  They aren't saying the oil ITSELF is bad - but what HOW is Herburt using it?

I know a bottle of veggie oil lasts longer than the expiration date at my house and I by the smallest bottle possible. I don't deep fry. 

• Love 3

What health problems did Lisa have?  I know the lymphedema, but, what else? I never heard Dr. Now mention diabetes, hypertension, or anything else.  Could this 700 pound women be perfectly healthy, except for the obesity? How is that possible? Dr. Now said that she didn't have much longer to live, but, why? What was going to kill her? Blood clot? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, LordOfLotion said:
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

WHAT?  What are they for, the follicly challenged? lol I thought the goal was the opposite.  Like a Brazilian. 

It's called a merkin.

This makes NYC musicians crack up constantly. Of course we all looked it up. 

entrance.jpg

Dr. Now is one heck of a patient man. And clearly this Lisa is mentally ill, but mental illness treatment is expensive (and in this case apparently not life-threatening) so send her home to liquefy.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What health problems did Lisa have?  I know the lymphedema, but, what else? I never heard Dr. Now mention diabetes, hypertension, or anything else.  Could this 700 pound women be perfectly healthy, except for the obesity? How is that possible? Dr. Now said that she didn't have much longer to live, but, why? What was going to kill her? Blood clot? 

Maybe she has so many they didn't mention them? Maybe she insisted they do not talk about this? Probably if she doesn't have diabetes or hypertension, she could have a sudden heart attack or yes a blood clot. 

1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

It's kind of hilarious that this woman who cannot even MOVE thinks that she can threaten everyone around her. "Put. It. BACK." "Watch how you're coming for me." "You better roll back off me, son, or you and me gonna have a problem." Lady, what are you going to do? Throw a pizza roll at me?

Its like I said, just step away a few feet and let her rant all she wants.... woman ain't moving. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Lady, what are you going to do? Throw a pizza roll at me?

Maybe she could beat them to death with her lymphodema. 

3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

It's kind of hilarious that this woman who cannot even MOVE thinks that she can threaten everyone around her. "Put. It. BACK." "Watch how you're coming for me." "You better roll back off me, son, or you and me gonna have a problem." Lady, what are you going to do? Throw a pizza roll at me?

The enablers baffle me. Except for Perv-burt, we all know what his twisted deal was about. If any of my family was a "Lisa" I'd serve them what the doctor ordered and nothing more. Whine, and wail, and threaten all you want. I can leave. I can put on noise reduction head phones. I'm not up for the job of slowly assisting a suicide. If they want to kill themselves with food then I'm not going to partake in it. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

It's kind of hilarious that this woman who cannot even MOVE thinks that she can threaten everyone around her.

I assume Dr. Now has some legal considerations or he would say what all of us are thinking.

• Love 12

At first I thought her slow speech during the VOs meant she was either mentally slow or had a speech impediment that she was enunciating deliberately to hide. Now I think (as mentioned by someone above) she's on some heavy-duty narcotics for her lymphedema or whatever.

Good on Danielle for getting away from this shitshow.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

I have been staring at that same dingy, yellowing pillowcase this whole episode. She has it with her whether she is in the hospital or the apartment. That pillow was used as a “modesty cover” during her transport. I am guessing it has hardly seen the inside of a washing machine the whole time.

I'm guessing it didn't see the inside of a washing machine at all. Neither did that greasy, black head cover thingy she wore. By the end it was covered in dandruff and grease.

1 minute ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

At first I thought her slow speech during the VOs meant she was either mentally slow or had a speech impediment that she was enunciating deliberately to hide. Now I think (as mentioned by someone above) she's on some heavy-duty narcotics for her lymphedema or whatever.

Good on Danielle for getting away from this shitshow.

I think she was drinking, too. There were a few times she seemed more drunk than high to me. She did say she liked to get her drink on!

• Love 15

In the beginning of the episode, Lisa’s grandson was in her bedroom while she was being bathed and had to help her roll over.  For the life of me I do not understand how or why a person would allow themselves to be seen naked by their opposite sex child or grandchild.  She should be ashamed of herself.  That is just plain wrong.

“Ravenna:

While I appreciate Dr. Now’s attempts to help people like Lisa it seems rather pointless to try and help someone who doesn’t want help.  What bugs me is the massive amount of resources spent on someone who has no intention of changing their habits.

Lisa is a master manipulator.”

Amen

• Love 15
54 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

She's gonna....take off her glasses.

Really....really....slowly

And then speak with deliberate sentences so as to instill....*eyebrow quirk*  fear......

• Love 24

Here's how I saw her brother's death go down........he goes to Lisa's house to use/buy/sell drugs.  Lisa's boyfriend/drug dealer/pimp shoots her brother.  Bingo--her mother blames Lisa.  

When she was screaming and bellowing for the male paramedics, I thought I was watching Whitney Way Thore.  Just waited for Lisa to ask to touch one of them.........

Lisa uses her fat to (literally) hold her family hostage.  I'm so glad we are finally seeing Dr. Now take a firmer stand against those who try to "ma-nipple-late" him!

Edited by JDAlexander
  • Love 17

I missed the maggots somehow and decided to watch the episode again. Big mistake. Watching her grandson have to help roll her naked body on its side with his face 6” from her naked breasts is almost grounds for some kind of abuse charges in my opinion.

Edited by gardendiva
Typo
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I know a bottle of veggie oil lasts longer than the expiration date at my house and I by the smallest bottle possible. I don't deep fry. 

Same here. But I’ll bet Lisa doesn’t do anything with oil EXCEPT deep fry, unless she drinks it straight. Or oils up Herbirt. 

Come to think of it, he’d best be careful about getting BJs. I certainly wouldn’t put anything of mine near that greedy mouth, much less a surrogate hot dog. You can just imagjne her mind wandering: “Mmmmm...wiener.”

Edited by Tabbygirl521
Felt like it.
  • Love 16
18 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Toss a ball of maggots instead.

^^^Nominated for this thread’s title. 

19 hours ago, Motor City said:

In the beginning of the episode, Lisa’s grandson was in her bedroom while she was being bathed and had to help her roll over.  For the life of me I do not understand how or why a person would allow themselves to be seen naked by their opposite sex child or grandchild.  She should be ashamed of herself.  That is just plain wrong.

“Ravenna:

While I appreciate Dr. Now’s attempts to help people like Lisa it seems rather pointless to try and help someone who doesn’t want help.  What bugs me is the massive amount of resources spent on someone who has no intention of changing their habits.

Lisa is a master manipulator.”

Amen

I blame Danielle, too. Why did she allow it??

ETA: Apologies to Danielle - I thought the teen boy was her son. Sounds like he volunteers to help Lisa. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I blame Danielle, too. Why did she allow it??

Probably a lot of BIG TIME guilt trips.  But I was proud of Danielle for refusing to bathe/change poo pee pads!  She flat out refused!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Probably a lot of BIG TIME guilt trips.  But I was proud of Danielle for refusing to bathe/change poo pee pads!  She flat out refused!

I haven’t actually watched this yet. Should probably do so before I yap. OK, I’m goin’ in. More later. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, this is another concern.  If there were a fire....no way the caregivers would be able to get the obese person out safely.  Even fire fighters would have a hard time rescuing her. 

It’d be like the end of What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, except Mama isn’t dead. Yet. 

• Love 6

But for the maggots, she'd probably be dead from a myriad of infections if they weren't eating the infected skin.  The horrid things are oddly beneficial.  I've read about unhoused people with uncontrolled diabetes finally getting to an ER and maggots saved a limb by keeping the diabetic wounds clean.  Handy in forensics too.  Not that I want to meet any of them.  But good Lord, they're creepy things, literally and figuratively.  

• Love 18

That vegetable oil was for frying, which is not on the list of foods you can eat. I'm sure to cook eggs, the Dr Now diet calls for a cooking spray not vegetable oil. If you fry vegetables up in vegetable oil, that is not diet food either. I am sure herbert was using it to deep fry everything, maybe even the pizza rolls.

I don't get the feeling she was on drugs on the voice overs. It sounds like an illiterate person trying to read aloud and they can't read aloud. It's actually very humorous, they made her read these phrases that she did not write nor even believe, She says them slow and deadpan trying to read the page. That is why she sounds like that, like a 5 year old first learning to read. When the ambulance is taking her away she says very slow with no emotion or feeling ". I know I have to change. I know it will be hard but I have to try because I know life is worth living"....or the platitudes that the My 600 Pound Life staff writer writes copies from the previous show-for the patient on the show to read

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 5

As I mentioned upthread, Lisa and I live in the same city. I haven't heard a thing about her very special episode through local media and so I decided to do some digging around this afternoon. 

I found Lisa's daughter Danielle on FB. There are no friends listed for her and just a couple of pics of her adorable twin girls. I'm guessing she scrubbed her page since it is linked to her sisters account as far back as 2010. Fun fact: Lisa refers to her repeatedly on FB as 'the warden.' 

Lisa's daughter Micha has a FB page that hasn't been scrubbed. This is the daughter who doesn't have the stomach to help with her mom's personal hygiene, which I can understand, and the one who cooks. Guess what? The grandson who helps Danielle with bathing is Micha's son. Mom doesn't do it but her 16 year old son does! Micha has a daughter who appears to be the same age as her twin cousins. From Micha's page it looks as though she and her sister both attended Southern Miss. Funny enough, in some of her older posts, she talks about cooking dinner. Many times she makes posts about cooking which is humorous to me for some reason LOL She also has posts about going to visit her Granny(Lisa's mom) and sometimes stayed in town to take care of her. Which she said she was happy to do. She makes ZERO mention of Lisa at any point over the years. Lisa is simply tagged in pics that Micha posts of her children, etc.  

Lisa has a FB page which disclosed several interesting things. First off, Lisa went to a local doctor in late July and ran into an old friend from school. So she has been receiving medical care despite being bed bound and huge. Lisa was still in Mobile on September 1 as she referenced a possum running up the ramp at her house and how her son and his girlfriend ran into the house scared to death. She said she'd gotten a whole lot of laughs from that. 

The show offered up a 6 month timeframe. BS! It hasn't been 6 months from September 1 yet in real time. 

Lisa thanked her friends on FB for sending flowers on January 14. These flowers are pictured on the bar between the kitchen and her bed. The same location these flowers were during the nutritionist's visit in Month 2. Same flowers, I went back and watched to verify. 

Lisa posted pictures of Danielle and the children's visit on January 2. This visit supposedly occurred during Month 6. Again, BS. 

Lisa pulls the same 'don't come at me' crap on her FB page many times. She never mentioned Herburt at all. 

I was naive enough to believe that at least TLC would be honest enough about the timeline but nope, that isn't even accurate. Why? I don't understand why they would do this. Someone enlighten me please. 

Edited by HahYallDoin
I pressed 'save' too soon.
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, Kyanight said:

There is NO lack for morbidly obese people in the United States that could be on the show.  I have been all over the U.S. and there are extremely overweight people everywhere these days.  Of course the ones I am seeing are the mobile ones - you know there have to be quite a few that are bedridden.  I think the problem is that TLC really doesn't know who will actually be successful and who will not from the onset/interview.... most want to be thin or SAY they want to be thin - they just don't want to put forth any effort.  "I want to be thin as long as I don't have to watch what I eat or how much I eat".  "I want to be thin as long as I don't have to exercise".  "I want to be thin - MAKE me thin, Dr. Now.  Give me the magical surgery that will make 450 pounds melt off of my body instantly and I will continue my life eating everything in sight and sitting in front of the television".     I suppose TLC COULD stop filming a few weeks into the episode when they see that the person really isn't going to commit and do the work necessary... but I think that it's important for viewers to see that not everyone is going to be successful.  Dr. Now says less than 5% will be successful - so how is TLC supposed to find that 5% out of the thousands of morbidly obese applicants?

That's not the point of the show. It's just to show drama and crazy situations fatties are in(I'm a fatty BTW). It's just shock and awe for views and it works. I think they also try to get people that have life issue that "caused" them to be fat. If you notice all the intervention shows and hoarding shows always feature someone who had some sort of life changing event happen. You never see anyone that just decided to hoard or do drugs just to do it. Same with this show. It's the best way to get the drama effect and pull people in. The results and success of these people is non-existent.

9 minutes ago, Pringlescan said:
5 hours ago, Kyanight said:

There is NO lack for morbidly obese people in the United States that could be on the show.  I have been all over the U.S. and there are extremely overweight people everywhere these days.  Of course the ones I am seeing are the mobile ones - you know there have to be quite a few that are bedridden.  I think the problem is that TLC really doesn't know who will actually be successful and who will not from the onset/interview.... most want to be thin or SAY they want to be thin - they just don't want to put forth any effort.  "I want to be thin as long as I don't have to watch what I eat or how much I eat".  "I want to be thin as long as I don't have to exercise".  "I want to be thin - MAKE me thin, Dr. Now.  Give me the magical surgery that will make 450 pounds melt off of my body instantly and I will continue my life eating everything in sight and sitting in front of the television".     I suppose TLC COULD stop filming a few weeks into the episode when they see that the person really isn't going to commit and do the work necessary... but I think that it's important for viewers to see that not everyone is going to be successful.  Dr. Now says less than 5% will be successful - so how is TLC supposed to find that 5% out of the thousands of morbidly obese applicants?

That's not the point of the show. It's just to show drama and crazy situations fatties are in(I'm a fatty BTW). It's just shock and awe for views and it works. I think they also try to get people that have life issue that "caused" them to be fat. If you notice all the intervention shows and hoarding shows always feature someone who had some sort of life changing event happen. You never see anyone that just decided to hoard or do drugs just to do it. Same with this show. It's the best way to get the drama effect and pull people in. The results and success of these people is non-existent.

My reply above was in response to people saying they wanted to only see success stories, not failures.

• Love 1

Hey all, been reading for the past couple seasons (and I love you people! Hi!); first time commenting...but did anyone else catch the grandson's epic facepalm when she asked for Fruit Froot Loops?

Edited by ams1001
spelling
  • Love 10