Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Lisa's Story

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Trees said:

Here's what makes me nuts.  The topic of this program is very fascinating: extreme obesity and the psychological reasons why it happens, how it continues, and the medical implications of living that way and possibly making a change.  It could be a MUCH better show - infinitely!  But the producers or whomever seem to have written an outline that every episode will follow and they never deviate.  

In fact, what would be much more interesting would be to see more of what really goes on behind the scenes.  We know, for instance, that Dr Now holds support groups.  It would be great to see the subjects attending those and reacting.

Clearly, there must be more education about the diet than that piece of paper he hands them.  Every single episode, though, he gives it to them, they pretend to be surprised by this (THEY'VE NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW?!) and it looks like he sends them off to miraculously lose 50 pounds in 2 months.

If, in fact, Dr Now and his team truly wanted to help these folks, they'd be screening and educating the entire family and team of caregivers.  Those folks did not become morbidly obese all alone.  Their enablers are as sick as the subjects are... addicted to being needed.  The whole team - the patient and all the folks stuffing them with food - are ill and need extreme behavioral and psychological testing.

I've even started forwarding as soon as I hear those long commentaries begin, especially when I hear the word "because...".  It's going to followed by "if I don't, I will die!" or ".. this is my last chance!" or whatever.

With such an interesting topic, why must they stick to this narrow script and outline?  It's such a waste.  

Like like like like ... to infinity. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I just checked McDonald's nutritional(?) value online.  The two burgers, two large fries, and a shake equal over 3,000 calories.  Bear in mind that this is AFTER she eats a huge plate of eggs, rice with cheese and turkey sausage for breakfast, and who knows what for supper.  PLUS, she admitted to having 3 meals a day IN ADDITION to breakfast, lunch and dinner.  She is easily eating more in one day than she should be eating in a week.

Sorry.  I just can't feel sorry for her.  If your life sucks, change it.  And take a vacation with all the money you'll save on food.

And in one of the voiceovers Herburt described it as “a little cheating”.  But she had gained 29 pounds. To gain 29 pounds in a month or whatever the time period it was requires quite a bit of power eating all the bad things, not “a little cheating”.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Kid said:

Well, those maggots certainly bothered you more than they bothered her.   She kept shoveling the food in and, if the maggots had gotten into the food, she would have eaten them too.

At least she would get some protein to go with all those carbs. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I just checked McDonald's nutritional(?) value online.  The two burgers, two large fries, and a shake equal over 3,000 calories.  Bear in mind that this is AFTER she eats a huge plate of eggs, rice with cheese and turkey sausage for breakfast, and who knows what for supper.  PLUS, she admitted to having 3 meals a day IN ADDITION to breakfast, lunch and dinner.  She is easily eating more in one day than she should be eating in a week.

Sorry.  I just can't feel sorry for her.  If your life sucks, change it.  And take a vacation with all the money you'll save on food.

Yep!  We just aren't going to her pity party.   I can see it now.... all of us gathered around her bed, smooshing her face and eating bowls of Froot Loops.

• Love 1

I finally made my way through this shitfest (literally, at times!) and damn. 

When she was moaning in the beginning about how she needed all this help, it sounded like she said she needed her daughter baste her. She seems greasy enough already. 

I also enjoyed the nutritionist saying that Lisa likes to talk about sex and be shocking. Obviously it did not have Lisa’s desired effect. 

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

And in one of the voiceovers Herburt described it as “a little cheating”.  But she had gained 29 pounds. To gain 29 pounds in a month or whatever the time period it was requires quite a bit of power eating all the bad things, not “a little cheating”.

But what do you expect? No one is helping her. (Ow! That last eyeroll really hurt.)

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I haven’t watched the entire episode all the way through- for various reasons....but MAGGOTS?!! Maggots.... I cannot. 

Don't maggots eat away harmful stuff?  I remember hearing how some WW1 soldiers lived, because maggots cleaned their wounds.
(Not recommending it for a home setting, present day, but just saying maybe she hadn't gotten the area cleaned properly, so the maggots did it.)

• Love 3
Just now, auntjess said:

Don't maggots eat away harmful stuff?  I remember hearing how some WW1 soldiers lived, because maggots cleaned their wounds.
(Not recommending it for a home setting, present day, but just saying maybe she hadn't gotten the area cleaned properly, so the maggots did it.)

That's what other people were saying.  But the bottom line is that if you have such thick fat folds that the skin is infected and rotting - it's time to do something about it... and she's really not willing to do anything about it.  What if she didn't have a tribe waiting on her hand and foot all day long?  What if she had to  :::gasp:::: start cleaning house... or (Horrors!) start COOKING for herself and others?  That will never happen of course, because she is queen of the maggoty mattress.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

They always seem to say "a little cheating" or something similar and end up gaining 25+ lbs! 

• Love 6

“lazylump:

Going back to the enabling comments.  Wouldn’t it have been interesting to see the therapists and nutritionist work with the enablers, and give them tools to resist Lisa?  I’d like to see a story how the enablers can be empowered to stop the 600 lb. person from running their lives.  Teach them to walk away, leave her in bed and bring her an apple instead of a pizza (but duck and cover as they run out the bedroom door).”

That is an excellent idea.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, lazylump said:

Going back to the Enabling comments.  Wouldn't it have been interesting to see the Therapists and nutritionist work with the enablers, and give them tools to resist Lisa?  I'd like to see a story how the enablers can be empowered to stop the 600 lb person from running their lives.  Teach them to walk away, leave her in bed and bring her an apple instead of a pizza (but duck and cover as they run out the bedroom door)

For me the best part of "Intervention" is watching the interventionist work with the addict's' family (read enablers) and encourage them to set and hold to bottom lines.  Many an addict on "Intervention" has been kick-started into getting clean by the realization that Mommy Enabler or Daddy Enabler now are willing to let them live under a bridge or in a flop house or wherever instead of being a party to their using.  I think a similar approach would work wonders here.  I say bring in JVV or Candy Finnigan for an "Intervention" crossover.

"I've been here since yesterday.  These folks love you like crazy, but they feel like they're losing you, and they want to fight to get you back.  So they'll say what they've got to say, you'll say what you've got to say, then we're done, and we'll go get a pizza while you stay here and eat two teaspoons of broth and a piece of lettuce."

• Love 15
1 hour ago, lazylump said:

Going back to the Enabling comments.  Wouldn't it have been interesting to see the Therapists and nutritionist work with the enablers, and give them tools to resist Lisa?  I'd like to see a story how the enablers can be empowered to stop the 600 lb person from running their lives.  Teach them to walk away, leave her in bed and bring her an apple instead of a pizza (but duck and cover as they run out the bedroom door)

As long as the enablers don't change, it is rare the patient will change. 

• Love 5

Just a couple comments and thoughts that have gone thru my head while watching this episode of Lisa:

1. I knew by the first 30 mins I was watching what would be a "classic" 600LBLIFE episode and by the time it was done, I knew it was "gold" for the ages.

2.  I still don't get how these bedbound 600lb women get men!  I am probably 1/5 her size, I do not have maggots, I get out of bed, have a job and I don't have men running after me.  Lisa had like at least 2 men who she was relationshipping with at one time or another.

3.  Lisa didn't want to do the work.  She kept crying at Dr Now that she needed help and needed it now cause she is incapable.  I really think she was hoping for a magic pill or the magic surgery that would make her thinner.  Without accepting the responsibility for change is on her and only her.  She said no one helped her....HOGWASH...everyone was helping her:  Dr Now, Herburt, Danielle, her grandson, paramedics, nurses, nutritionist, physical therapist, etc.  It just wasn't the magic "help" she wanted.

4.  Her stories about her mom are exaggerated I think.  Her mom's comments have been greatly blown out of proportion to fit her "poor me" excuses.

5.  Lisa and Herburt denied any cheating on the program and said he NEVER gave her anything off plan.  They denied denied denied to Dr Now.  Dr Now should have just looked at both of them as he left the room and said "You both know the truth here.  After I walk out of the room, I want you to look at each other and admit you both know what is going on."

That's it for now...I am sure I will have more to say on the subject later.  I gotta go read about Whitney's fabulous life right now.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, gigiann said:

Just a couple comments and thoughts that have gone thru my head while watching this episode of Lisa:

2.  I still don't get how these bedbound 600lb women get men!  I am probably 1/5 her size, I do not have maggots, I get out of bed, have a job and I don't have men running after me.  Lisa had like at least 2 men who she was relationshipping with at one time or another.

You *could* have men by the dozens if you change lower your standards!  Apparently what Lisa offers them is a free place to live, no need to hold a job, sex on demand if they deliver food with it... And who knows what else those so-called boyfriends have in their backgrounds?  Felonies?  Illiteracy?  Warrants? 

On another topic, it was SO obvious from the start that Lisa was resistant, I really do think that they're choosing patients for the shock value vs to truly help them.  Surely there are other desperate and willing people who would follow instructions but make boring TV.

If I were on the city council in Houston, I'd be having some harsh words with Dr Now for bringing these low-lifes that place such extreme demands on their EMS.  How many of those EMS guys have been injured on the job from hoisting one of these entitled mounds of flesh who use an ambulance like the rest of society uses a cab?

• Love 19
On 2/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Same here. But I’ll bet Lisa doesn’t do anything with oil EXCEPT deep fry, unless she drinks it straight. Or oils up Herbirt. 

Come to think of it, he’d best be careful about getting BJs. I certainly wouldn’t put anything of mine near that greedy mouth, much less a surrogate hot dog. You can just imagjne her mind wandering: “Mmmmm...wiener.”

I am really hell bound; I can't stop laughing!  

You are so right!  If she's majorly pissed or hunggggry, Herburt the Pervert is gonna lose his favorite appendage!

• Love 9

There's always a screen at the beginning of the show that says that the rate for success for folks like this is about 5%.  It almost seems like that's the rate of successful people they show on the M600PL.  It might be helpful to show MORE success stories, from the standpoint that viewers might want to emulate what is helping others to succeed.

When you think about it, when you think about the number of 400+ pound people we see out and about, does it make you wonder how many 600+ pounders there really are . . . but they can't get out of their houses?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gigiann said:

Long time lurker, first time poster.  In fact I created an account just to respond to this post, the bolded in particular: because I literally LOL'd when I read it.

Is this where we are as women?  Is this where this show has brought us?  Where we assess our desirability based on whether or not we have maggots or any other parasites? 

I am done.  Dead and done!  And Gigiann killed me.

What I had bolded was, "I do not have maggots."

Edited by LadyBugKAnn
Bolded in quotes did not work. I'm new to this forum.
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Trees said:

Here's what makes me nuts.  The topic of this program is very fascinating: extreme obesity and the psychological reasons why it happens, how it continues, and the medical implications of living that way and possibly making a change.  It could be a MUCH better show - infinitely!  But the producers or whomever seem to have written an outline that every episode will follow and they never deviate.  

In fact, what would be much more interesting would be to see more of what really goes on behind the scenes.  We know, for instance, that Dr Now holds support groups.  It would be great to see the subjects attending those and reacting.

Clearly, there must be more education about the diet than that piece of paper he hands them.  Every single episode, though, he gives it to them, they pretend to be surprised by this (THEY'VE NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW?!) and it looks like he sends them off to miraculously lose 50 pounds in 2 months.

If, in fact, Dr Now and his team truly wanted to help these folks, they'd be screening and educating the entire family and team of caregivers.  Those folks did not become morbidly obese all alone.  Their enablers are as sick as the subjects are... addicted to being needed.  The whole team - the patient and all the folks stuffing them with food - are ill and need extreme behavioral and psychological testing.

I've even started forwarding as soon as I hear those long commentaries begin, especially when I hear the word "because...".  It's going to followed by "if I don't, I will die!" or ".. this is my last chance!" or whatever.

With such an interesting topic, why must they stick to this narrow script and outline?  It's such a waste.  

Great insight!! I just wonder even if given extreme testing and education, would they be able to comprehend.  To hear them argue with an EXPERT like Dr. Now, WHO would stand a chance in turning this sick way of thinking around? I too am amazed on that - now go lose 50 pounds in 2 months and some how these HARDCORE food addicts come back ready for surgery!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

If I was signing up for PTV today, my handle would be Maggot Infested She Devil.

I agree with this. Her father idolized her and spoiled her and never said no. Her mother, not so much. Over the years, in Lisa's fevered, self pitying brain, her mother became the source of All Bad Things. Her bad, evil mother who never loved her enough, boo hoo. That whole story with the cake was bizarre. Her mother made her eat the whole cake, that's why she's tipping the scales at 700 pounds now? Its cake, not heroin.

Two words: Low Standards.

NO standards!!

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I imagine Lisa was quite the abusive mother to her children.

CPS should be called regarding the poor grandson having to help clean that hateful cow!

No excuse for her cooch being on display --  get a damn sheet and cover her up.

That was abusive.  Just like James King last season, when his daughter had to help bathe his nasty ass, and his junk was clearly not covered up.  FTS.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, jpc1 said:

For me the best part of "Intervention" is watching the interventionist work with the addict's' family (read enablers) and encourage them to set and hold to bottom lines.  Many an addict on "Intervention" has been kick-started into getting clean by the realization that Mommy Enabler or Daddy Enabler now are willing to let them live under a bridge or in a flop house or wherever instead of being a party to their using.  I think a similar approach would work wonders here.  I say bring in JVV or Candy Finnigan for an "Intervention" crossover.

"I've been here since yesterday.  These folks love you like crazy, but they feel like they're losing you, and they want to fight to get you back.  So they'll say what they've got to say, you'll say what you've got to say, then we're done, and we'll go get a pizza while you stay here and eat two teaspoons of broth and a piece of lettuce."

Yes, the Jeff VV approach.  Unfortunately, the 600 plus folks are not the same, and much of this is socioeconomic.  Food really is cheap and easily purchased. Even fast food compared to the thousands of dollars a month the addicts are spending while prostituting and stealing from everyone.  I would love Candy or Donna to swoop in and cure everything, but ..... . I think the enablers  of the 600 lbs are often more like family members of Hoarders.  They live in filth because they are so brow beaten by these abusive family members. Or they feel such a misguided family loyalty that they will do anything, including feed them until they die.

I know this is rather simplistic, but I have watched every episode of Intervention, Hoarders and My 600.  I wish I could be more articulate, but this show is the most difficult to understand for me, which is why I continue to watch, even the maggot stuff.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

That was abusive.  Just like James King last season, when his daughter had to help bathe his nasty ass, and his junk was clearly not covered up.  FTS.

Last year I was ridiculed because I suggested that leaving a 15 year old boy behind alone in Houston to care give his mother was abusive.  He had to clean her.  Just like Milla, who was the rerun last night.  She was completely naked and bathed by all her children on camera.  Though that was actually a loving family but way too much of minor children to deal with.

I understand that CPS sees so much worse.  These brief snapshots we see of children' s lives are just heartbreaking at times.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, gigiann said:

LOL -- Hi LadyBug...it's just something we have to laugh about cause it's just something so outlandish and makes me shake my head, ya know?  So I have decided to write my new personal on the Internet.  Goes something like this:

Employed SWF who is not 600lbs, has a car, and her own place.  Doesn't have maggots, is able to walk on her own, I can do my own bathing, don't  have lympodema, I use the toilet on my own, won't require bedpans, I am not bed bound.  I actually can sit up on my own not requiring a slew of EMTs to lift my ass on a gurney seeks male companionship without bribes of sex for ice cream.

You forgot to add: I have my own grabber for wiping my ass, you won't have to supply one. You don't have to hose me down on the back porch. My eating habit is I get my protein from Italian sausage pizza.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

You forgot to add: I have my own grabber for wiping my ass, you won't have to supply one. You don't have to hose me down on the back porch. My eating habit is I get my protein from Italian sausage pizza.

OMG. Yes this!  When I saw the word grabber I would have blurted out my cheese rice had I been eating any!

High ^5 to you

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Just like Milla, who was the rerun last night.  She was completely naked and bathed by all her children on camera.  Though that was actually a loving family but way too much of minor children to deal with.

I don't understand why these people, who must be getting assistance of some kind, don't have home health care aides to help with this stuff. Is is possible for a minor to be paid for care-giving? Is that why they have their kids helping? You'd think that a sense of modesty would come in at some point...

• Love 7
13 hours ago, AZChristian said:

At the end when the REAL Lisa showed herself to the camera, I lost any modicum of compassion for her.  She doesn't want to change

She never has to get a job or do housework, cook, or chores. She can lay in bed, watch tv or play on the computer/phone and have people wait on her. Most people would be embarrassed but she thrives on it.

• Love 12
On 2/22/2018 at 9:41 AM, Trees said:

I have not been on this forum this whole season, but this Lisa episode was so shocking, I had to come back!  OMG!

AS SOON AS it started and I saw her attitude, I thought of that horrible Marla.  Remember her?  She was the first one I saw who aggressively disrespected Dr Now and told him how to treat her.  She refused all help and gave everyone attitude.  I wonder why they didn't kick Lisa out way earlier?  It was absolutely clear that she was not going to succeed.

Interesting that it was the daughter who found Dr Now, not Lisa herself.  Lisa probably never wanted help.  Too bad Dr Now did not even acknowledge to Danielle that she herself should become one of his patients.

What is with all the maggot comments?  I don't recall any maggots in this episode?  What did I miss?

The majority of the caretakers and relatives of the people on the show are obese. You would think that the would watch their weight given the situation. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Trees said:

Maybe, we should inform TLC that the PTB there need to put some thought into their new productions and give them your ideas.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, sidka said:

Same with toxic narcissists and sociopaths.  

You are SO right!!!   My mother was a toxic narcissist and sociopath and I was her hostage for a long time even after I physically got away from her. It’s taken  me years to escape emotionally.

And Lisa appeared to be both of these things in addition to being an addict and I recognized it immediately.   Fact that her personality was so familiar to me is probably why she pissed me off so much.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

There's always a screen at the beginning of the show that says that the rate for success for folks like this is about 5%.  It almost seems like that's the rate of successful people they show on the M600PL.  It might be helpful to show MORE success stories, from the standpoint that viewers might want to emulate what is helping others to succeed.

They actually say "long term success".  I don't know what metric they're using to measure "long term success" though.  Most patients do well in the first year.  They lose a bunch of weight.  Not many seem to get to the target weight that Dr. Now set, although they do lose a significant amount of weight and experience drastic improvements in quality of life.  They're still fat, but not immensely fat.  It's only been this year and last that we started to see extreme cases like Lisa or the Assantis or James K with any regularity.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I imagine Lisa was quite the abusive mother to her children.

CPS should be called regarding the poor grandson having to help clean that hateful cow!

No excuse for her cooch being on display --  get a damn sheet and cover her up.

Wasn't that just part of the standard bathing scene we see in every episode?

In my dream world:

Maybe as part of their nutritionist session, the nutritionist should bring in some fake foods . . . an appropriately sized serving of chicken or fish, some green vegetables, some other good stuff. And also bring mock-ups of the bad stuff . . . triple bacon cheeseburgers, fries, milk shakes, pizza, fraaaahd rice.  Sit down next to the bed of the patient (because most of them are ALWAYS in bed), and make the caregivers sit there as well.

Show them an acceptable portion size for the protein and the veggies.  Have them put together some combinations that they like.  Let them SEE what they're supposed to be eating each day.  Then show them the bad stuff and take it completely off the table.  "YOU CAN HAVE NONE OF THIS ON DR. NOW'S PROGRAM."

The entire session should be videotaped.  If these people come back having gained weight and crying "no one is helping me," Dr. Now should start the videotape, and walk out of the room.  The last scene on the videotape should be Dr. Now saying, "We are trying to help you, but you refuse to help yourself.  Get up and get transportation back home on your own.  Maybe you should see what it's really like to have no help.  Have a nice day."

ETA:  On further thought, maybe the nutritionist should visit them at the very beginning while they're still at home (except producers would have to figure out how to do a preliminary weigh-in).  Then they get a Skype meeting where Dr. Now says, "You must lose 50 pounds during the month.  If you do that, I will approve you to come to Houston for preparation for weight loss surgery."  He should add, "If you don't lose 50 pounds, you will be cancelled out of the program."

That would cut down on the costs that TLC incurs for transporting, rent, etc., in Houston on people who really don't want to change their "eating habit."  Most of us would rather see the money invested in SUCCESS stories, wouldn't we?  

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 19
13 hours ago, aliya said:

I don't understand why these people, who must be getting assistance of some kind, don't have home health care aides to help with this stuff. Is is possible for a minor to be paid for care-giving? Is that why they have their kids helping? You'd think that a sense of modesty would come in at some point...

I believe modesty becomes a moot point when that huge and bed bound.  

I can't imagine that grandson going to school on Monday and his friends asking what did you do over the weekend and him stating, I helped roll my grandmother over so we could change her bedding.  If it was illness (cancer, broken bones, etc.), I would be less alarmed with a child being exposed to a nude grandparent/parent but this is a self-inflected illness where the ill person isn't trying to get better.  

• Love 9
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, calpurnia99 said:

In my opinion she was not, but a lot of people think that here.  I think that she is trying to read the page full of platitudes and is totally illiterate and can't. Since she did not write it, nor did she even think it, it does not have any meaning to what she is saying. It sounds someone who reads at a first grade level. 

You nailed it!  Also have the actions of a first grader.

14 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Honestly, the maggots were the nicest thing about her 

hahaha

• Love 2

My favorite line from almost every patient featured is, "I'm not sure that I will be able to do this."  What do they mean?  They have just had the surgery and are lying in bed.  There is no way to undo the surgery.  Or, they say, I'm not sure if it's worth it.  WHAT?  Why would it not be worth it if you SURVIVE.  The alternative is death.  Go figure.

I will admit that I do like Fruit loops and Captain Crunch Peanut Butter cereal......HOWEVER, I no longer eat them, because, to me, it's not worth the damage .If I pick a treat, I pick something that gives me more mileage.  But, as a staple in your diet for a grown person who is severely overweight......it boggles the mind. 

Did you notice how when Hubert put the frozen pizzas in the oven, they looked so small, but, when he served them up a little later, they looked huge, like deep pie or something.  Was that the same pizza? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, aliya said:

I just lost my mom a few months ago.  My sister and I took care of her 24/7 until she died.  Getting any kind of outside medical assistance is very expensive.  

3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Wasn't that just part of the standard bathing scene we see in every episode?

First I have seen with a young child, of the opposite sex, helping clean the obese one.