Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Lisa's Story

• Start Topic

”mellowjoi:

I can't imagine that grandson going to school on Monday and his friends asking what did you do over the weekend and him stating, I helped roll my grandmother over so we could change her bedding.  If it was illness (cancer, broken bones, etc.), I would be less alarmed with a child being exposed to a nude grandparent/parent but this is a self-inflected illness where the ill person isn't trying to get better. “

Well said!

• Love 5
Just now, calpurnia99 said:

There was one where the little children were all in the bedroom watching the lady be cleaned up. They were not helping though but saw all her coochie. I dont remember the name but her husband was in the hospital

Part of the lack of alarm on the part of family members allowing kids to see their relative naked must come from the fact that the fat has so distorted their body they don’t even look human anymore. Any correlation to what those parts look like on a normal sized body has been obliterated, and large folds of fat actually obscure the actual parts from being seen. Not that I approve or condone it, quite the opposite; it’s inappropriate in every case, but I am just trying to understand how these people can all be so casual about the constant nudity on this show.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Thrifty said:

They actually say "long term success".  I don't know what metric they're using to measure "long term success" though.  Most patients do well in the first year.  They lose a bunch of weight.  Not many seem to get to the target weight that Dr. Now set, although they do lose a significant amount of weight and experience drastic improvements in quality of life.  They're still fat, but not immensely fat.  It's only been this year and last that we started to see extreme cases like Lisa or the Assantis or James K with any regularity.

They did a LONG term follow-up - like 5-10 years.... and NONE of them were successful at keeping off the weight.  (At least the people on this show).  The closest was Melissa who got sort of/kind of close to her goal weight (She missed it by... I don't remember... maybe 45 pounds?) and then she gained back like 150 pounds long term.

Ok, I have to edit this post.  BOY was I wrong - and this is one of those times that I am extremely HAPPY to be wrong!  I googled "Did any of the people on My 600 pound life KEEP the weight off" and found this - before and after pics and updates of former people on the show.  http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/my-600-lb-life-before-after-127297/photos/my-600-lb-life-june-238795#photo-anchor

Edited by Kyanight
I was wrong.
  • Love 7

I just can’t even... THIS is narcissism at it’s core.  The therapist and I part ways on this one.  Lisa was a spoiled brat as a child, she’s a spoiled bitch as an adult and I’m glad those daughters of hers are following their goals as opposed to being her slaves.  

Edited by supahfly
  • Love 12

Lola's assessment was totally off-base.  "She puts up a happy-go-lucky attitude."  Really, Lola? Did you look at her face when she was talking to you? Especially telling was the end of the session when Lola said she was looking forward to working with her and Lisa responded, dripping with sarcasm and rolling her eyes, "meee tooooo....."- she practically was saying "yeah, that ain't gon' happen no tahm soon."

• Love 13
1 minute ago, PradaKitty said:

I expect we’ll be seeing her obituary soon...

Or an episode of "Monsters Inside Me" featuring a woman being eaten from the inside out by maggots which gained entry to her body through the folds of fat.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

Or an episode of "Monsters Inside Me" featuring a woman being eaten from the inside out by maggots which gained entry to her body through the folds of fat.

OMG! Yes, I forgot about the maggots! If maggots eating your flesh while you are lying in your own fat and waste day after day doesn’t spur you to lose weight and get your life in order, then nothing will. Being obese and seeking help is one thing, so I get that (I did this very thing—though I was by no means remotely near these weights).  Being obese and delusional that no one is helping you while allowing maggots to feast on you is something else.  That turns my stomach. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

In my dream world:

Maybe as part of their nutritionist session, the nutritionist should bring in some fake foods . . . an appropriately sized serving of chicken or fish, some green vegetables, some other good stuff. And also bring mock-ups of the bad stuff . . . triple bacon cheeseburgers, fries, milk shakes, pizza, fraaaahd rice.  Sit down next to the bed of the patient (because most of them are ALWAYS in bed), and make the caregivers sit there as well.

Show them an acceptable portion size for the protein and the veggies.  Have them put together some combinations that they like.  Let them SEE what they're supposed to be eating each day.  Then show them the bad stuff and take it completely off the table.  "YOU CAN HAVE NONE OF THIS ON DR. NOW'S PROGRAM."

The entire session should be videotaped.  If these people come back having gained weight and crying "no one is helping me," Dr. Now should start the videotape, and walk out of the room.  The last scene on the videotape should be Dr. Now saying, "We are trying to help you, but you refuse to help yourself.  Get up and get transportation back home on your own.  Maybe you should see what it's really like to have no help.  Have a nice day."

ETA:  On further thought, maybe the nutritionist should visit them at the very beginning while they're still at home (except producers would have to figure out how to do a preliminary weigh-in).  Then they get a Skype meeting where Dr. Now says, "You must lose 50 pounds during the month.  If you do that, I will approve you to come to Houston for preparation for weight loss surgery."  He should add, "If you don't lose 50 pounds, you will be cancelled out of the program."

That would cut down on the costs that TLC incurs for transporting, rent, etc., in Houston on people who really don't want to change their "eating habit."  Most of us would rather see the money invested in SUCCESS stories, wouldn't we?  

Agree but I think they do get more counseling than they show.  And your sensible comments (I agree with them) kind of support my theories that they select the more shocking/unpleasant/bound-to-fail subjects because the episode is more shocking.

Even when I was in a hospital program for weight loss where we started with protein shakes, there was a heavy amount of teaching about those things.  They held bariatric classes and support groups there too.  I believe that the program producers don't show those things, which would be so interesting.... not necessarily just the teaching, but the patients' and families' reactions to the information and their attempts to shop, cook and comply.

I feel that the producers are just lazy and follow their same old script for every show.  It really bugs me. The topic is SO interesting and the show can be so much better!

• Love 6

I've been reading this forum for awhile but am only know tempted to chime in. OMG, this woman is THE Worst. I'm not sure if she's worse than the Assanti's (I've tried to get through that episode 3 times, but it's so off-putting.) I don't know why anyone in her life tries at all - she has no motivation and is extrememly bitter and manipulative.

By the way, I think you guys are hilarious and love reading these threads!

Edited by WonTon
  • Love 13
35 minutes ago, WonTon said:

I've been reading this forum for awhile but am only know tempted to chime in. OMG, this woman is THE Worst. I'm not sure if she's worse than the Assanti's (I've tried to get through that episode 3 times, but it's so off-putting.) I don't know why anyone in her life tries at all - she has no motivation and is extrememly bitter and manipulative.

Interesting what episode gets a person to finally chime in...this is the first one I've commented on, as well. I maintain that the Assanti episodes were the worst. I could probably rewatch just about any episode except those. 

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, WonTon said:

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Interesting what episode gets a person to finally chime in...this is the first one I've commented on, as well. I maintain that the Assanti episodes were the worst. I could probably rewatch just about any episode except those. 

Welcome to the insanity, you two.  Looking forward to your additional thoughts here in the Wonderful World of Snark.

• Love 10
On 2/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, ButterQueen said:

I just lost my mom a few months ago.  My sister and I took care of her 24/7 until she died.  Getting any kind of outside medical assistance is very expensive.  

First I have seen with a young child, of the opposite sex, helping clean the obese one.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I guess everywhere is different. My stepfather died maybe 8 yrs ago. He did hospice at home and the county (outside of DC) provided for all kinds of things - Meals on Wheels, visiting nurse, a hospital bed, and light housekeeping (which my mother didn't take, but that's because she wanted to be able to complain about something). I just checked and it looks like, since most of these people are probably on Medicaid, that they do have access to some home health care. I know government aid isn't as expansive as what people may get if they pay for it themselves, but it's something.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2018 at 1:18 PM, Kyanight said:

Ok, I have to edit this post.  BOY was I wrong - and this is one of those times that I am extremely HAPPY to be wrong!  I googled "Did any of the people on My 600 pound life KEEP the weight off" and found this - before and after pics and updates of former people on the show.  http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/my-600-lb-life-before-after-127297/photos/my-600-lb-life-june-238795#photo-anchor

Still pretty mountainous.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Do we know if Danielle is still caring for her motherly beast?  I didn't see any information on that.

It would appear so, based on Lisa's FB page. She refers to Danielle as 'the warden.' Lisa wished her a Happy Birthday on February 19 and even called her the warden in the post. Lisa's occupation on FB is listed as 'Boss at 5th/McVay' which is where she lives in Mobile. She is straight damn nuts! 

Fun Fact: On Lisa's FB page, I found a post where one of her nieces had a baby. Someone asked the baby's name and the mom replied that her bundle of joy shall be called Bo'Dashia. Get the hell out of here, that is insane! 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, HahYallDoin said:

It would appear so, based on Lisa's FB page. She refers to Danielle as 'the warden.' Lisa wished her a Happy Birthday on February 19 and even called her the warden in the post. Lisa's occupation on FB is listed as 'Boss at 5th/McVay' which is where she lives in Mobile. She is straight damn nuts! 

Fun Fact: On Lisa's FB page, I found a post where one of her nieces had a baby. Someone asked the baby's name and the mom replied that her bundle of joy shall be called Bo'Dashia. Get the hell out of here, that is insane! 

OK.  That made me lol.  If I didn't already have a board name I would so steal that.

• Love 9
On 2/21/2018 at 10:30 PM, MsVixen said:

Hi Everybody!  Just now checking in because I was watching the Olympics.  The maggots in the folds of her skin would certainly ensure that I would never be giving her a bath.  

The amount of food that she is eating would be enough to feed the Puerto Ricans after that hurricane.  

At least the maggots are eating the decaying flesh in those folds.  *gags*  Some doctors still use them. 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points, but,  I do think there should be some accountability.  If the enabler/family member can say to the obese, bed bound relative, NO, I will not buy you that junk food, because I could be prosecuted, they may have more gall to be firm with the demanding person who is eating themselves to death.  I read that recently, prosecutors are criminally charging drug dealers who sell drugs to addicts, who take the drug and die from overdose. So, I think something should be explored to hold someone accountable, but, it comes down to who will provide care if the family doesn't.  The state, the county? Yes, it's all about tax payers. So, it's rather political.  I recall someone said around here, that sometimes, nature just has to take its course. And, with these patients, it may be that there is little to nothing than can really make a difference in their lives, due to their own actions, with the help of enablers. 

Which brings me back to a question I have about whether these super, morbidly obese patients are REALLY DYING early.  I did an online quiz that provides ESTIMATED length of life last night, after seeing Lisa.  lol Based on current info, I'm estimated to live to 90!  I did one for one family member I have who is very obese and it said 62.  That person is now in his twenties. 

I think the reason a person can't be prosecuted for bringing heaps of food to an obese person is that the obese person is competent. They are adults who can decide to over eat or not over eat. If the obese person does not want to eat a mountain of cheese rice and fried chicken, they can take one piece of chicken and a cup of the rice off of the plate and leave the rest. They don't have to eat the whole mountain, just because it's offered by the enabler. 

• Love 7

Pounders,

Let's keep the talk to people on the show, not their relatives who we have not seen. 

This show is about people losing weight (or, in some cases finding all that weight again and then some), not about how tenuously related children are named or names in general. There's enough snark in the shows, we don't need to search the webz for other stuff. 

Thanks, and happy posting!

Your breakfast treat Mod, @frenchtoast and your kitty Mod, @PrincessPurrsALot

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, AZChristian said:

In my dream world:

Maybe as part of their nutritionist session, the nutritionist should bring in some fake foods . . . an appropriately sized serving of chicken or fish, some green vegetables, some other good stuff. And also bring mock-ups of the bad stuff . . . triple bacon cheeseburgers, fries, milk shakes, pizza, fraaaahd rice.  Sit down next to the bed of the patient (because most of them are ALWAYS in bed), and make the caregivers sit there as well.

Show them an acceptable portion size for the protein and the veggies.  Have them put together some combinations that they like.  Let them SEE what they're supposed to be eating each day.  Then show them the bad stuff and take it completely off the table.  "YOU CAN HAVE NONE OF THIS ON DR. NOW'S PROGRAM."

The entire session should be videotaped.  If these people come back having gained weight and crying "no one is helping me," Dr. Now should start the videotape, and walk out of the room.  The last scene on the videotape should be Dr. Now saying, "We are trying to help you, but you refuse to help yourself.  Get up and get transportation back home on your own.  Maybe you should see what it's really like to have no help.  Have a nice day."

ETA:  On further thought, maybe the nutritionist should visit them at the very beginning while they're still at home (except producers would have to figure out how to do a preliminary weigh-in).  Then they get a Skype meeting where Dr. Now says, "You must lose 50 pounds during the month.  If you do that, I will approve you to come to Houston for preparation for weight loss surgery."  He should add, "If you don't lose 50 pounds, you will be cancelled out of the program."

That would cut down on the costs that TLC incurs for transporting, rent, etc., in Houston on people who really don't want to change their "eating habit."  Most of us would rather see the money invested in SUCCESS stories, wouldn't we?  

These are great ideas.  I think it would be very helpful if the nutritionist and the therapist worked with them for a few months before Dr. Now became involved.  Give them a chance to address the issues which caused the weight gain and learn new ways of eating before discussing surgery.

• Love 6
On 2/24/2018 at 1:31 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

My favorite line from almost every patient featured is, "I'm not sure that I will be able to do this."  What do they mean?  They have just had the surgery and are lying in bed.  There is no way to undo the surgery.  Or, they say, I'm not sure if it's worth it.  WHAT?  Why would it not be worth it if you SURVIVE.  The alternative is death.  Go figure.

I will admit that I do like Fruit loops and Captain Crunch Peanut Butter cereal......HOWEVER, I no longer eat them, because, to me, it's not worth the damage .If I pick a treat, I pick something that gives me more mileage.  But, as a staple in your diet for a grown person who is severely overweight......it boggles the mind. 

Did you notice how when Hubert put the frozen pizzas in the oven, they looked so small, but, when he served them up a little later, they looked huge, like deep pie or something.  Was that the same pizza? 

My personal favorite is when they're cheating and they say "I just have a lot going on" what on earth do these people have going on???  The only one I could 'buy' using that excuse (and I'm not condoning, it's just I get it) was Dottie when her disabled son was in the hospital.  I mean do i think she should have ate herself into a coma?  No, but that would classify as "a lot was going on".  But when patients can't even leave their bed, what stress is actually occurring to them?  

• Love 21
11 hours ago, LookABird said:

These are great ideas.  I think it would be very helpful if the nutritionist and the therapist worked with them for a few months before Dr. Now became involved.  Give them a chance to address the issues which caused the weight gain and learn new ways of eating before discussing surgery.

Seriously, they aren't thinking.  It would save money in the long run.  They wouldn't do surgery if the people aren't prepared to do the work necessary.  Maybe someone out there can answer this question:   If a morbidly obese person has this weight loss surgery and then continues to eat like they have been - since their stomach has been greatly reduced and has scar tissue - does this reduce their life expectancy even more?  Because I would think that they are ALREADY going to die in the near future - and this just shaves off even more years!

11 hours ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

My personal favorite is when they're cheating and they say "I just have a lot going on" what on earth do these people have going on???  The only one I could 'buy' using that excuse (and I'm not condoning, it's just I get it) was Dottie when her disabled son was in the hospital.  I mean do i think she should have ate herself into a coma?  No, but that would classify as "a lot was going on".  But when patients can't even leave their bed, what stress is actually occurring to them?  

Who is going to win Family Feud??  Who will sit on the iron throne?  Will that hoarders house EVER get cleaned up - and will they be able to scrub the mouse pee/poo off of the floors and walls?   Will Tom ever catch Jerry?  Will Piper stop making stupid decisions and why do they wear orange?  The list goes on and on.  The stress... OH my gosh... the STRESS!!!   ::::Snarks down two dozen donuts and a pan of lasagna:::::::

Edited by Kyanight
I misspelled lasagna. Do you know how hard it is to spell lasagna? It's like bologna.
  • Love 11

Wow this episode ranks up/down there with the Penny one.  As Dr. Now is doing a check he finds a random chip bag, maggots.    I was amazed how she would just bellow out "I'm hungry" and the relatives would bring food on demand.  She wasnt the slightest bit grateful for everyone who is at her beck and call day and night.  Yet she complains that no one helps her.  Love Dr. Now...he is not here for your bullshit.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

I believe our beloved James K. pulled out that old chestnut. He and Lisa were so busy with...something to go visit Dr. Now. James just could NOT pull himself away from the important task of mouldering in his own filth to see the doctor. He just had SO MUCH to do. From his bed. From which he couldn't seem to do anything other than whine, demand food, and shit. Truly a modern tragedy.

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, emma1420 said:

The thing about Lisa is that she never wanted the surgery.  Danielle is the one who found Dr. Now and set all this in motion.   Lisa never seemed that interested in the process at all.  I mean if she could get surgery and keep on living the way she wanted, well she’d take it, but she was never going to do any actual work towards improving her life.

I tend to think Danielle set the whole thing up to get her mother out of Alabama so that she and her siblings would be free of their toxic mother.  And I bet it’s the best thing she’s ever done.  The moment that Danielle didn’t need to be a full-time caretaker for her mother she got a job, and I suspect that whatever financial hold Lisa may have had over her is now gone.

So if nothing else, I think this story was a success for Danielle and her siblings.  Lisa never wanted help in the first place so she was always destined to fail.

I was really hoping that Danielle and her family would adopt a healthier lifestyle (fyi, Im eating flautas AND nachos as I type this).  Im sure she is stress/depression eating, so maybe after seeing herself on the show, it may be a wake up call.  Her rolls had rolls, and I hope this destruction of a family stops with Lisa,..

Also, since literally all I could see of Lisa was her open mouth while screaming.....I noticed she only has 1 molar!!! How the hell does she eat??

• Love 2

Welp, finally watched this episode.  She reminded me of someone with dementia.  If there's early onset Alzheimer's, there must be early onset dementia.  My mom had dementia and lived with me so I'm well acquainted with the awful horrible disease and Lisa shows the traits.  Her demands and outbursts aren't the normal demands and outbursts we see every week.  I don't know how to find the words to articulate the differences, but Lisa was different.  There's a distinct "meanness" in people suffering from dementia and Lisa showed it.  

I hope no one here understands what I'm saying because I wouldn't wish that disease on any family.  It's truly heartbreaking and awful.  

• Love 9
19 hours ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

My personal favorite is when they're cheating and they say "I just have a lot going on" what on earth do these people have going on??? 

Yep, and this is also the favored excuse on Catfish, when they're bringing the victim/stooge to meet the catfish.

I missed this episode last week because I was watching the Olympics and just watched it tonight. All I have to say is, if this is Lisa's audition for the next "Nutty Professor" movie, she's SOL because that franchise is over.

One thing I noticed about Lisa when she was eating is that she looked smug and defiant when eating.  You know how most of the 600 pounders kind of zone out when they eat? Well, Lisa looked smug as in "I manipulated you into doing what I want."  And defiant as in, "I will eat what I want whenever I want and no one can stop me."  She reminded me a lot of Steven Assanti.

Lisa may well have been illiterate, but Dr. Now described her as smart.  

• Love 7
On 2/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, AZChristian said:

Sorry.  I just can't feel sorry for her.  If your life sucks, change it.  And take a vacation with all the money you'll save on food.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 2/23/2018 at 6:55 PM, AZChristian said:

There's always a screen at the beginning of the show that says that the rate for success for folks like this is about 5%.  It almost seems like that's the rate of successful people they show on the M600PL.  It might be helpful to show MORE success stories, from the standpoint that viewers might want to emulate what is helping others to succeed.

I feel like the older episodes did show success stories, at least some of the time.  Remember Brittani?  And Melissa?  I think, once they saw all the buzz people like James K. and Steven produced, they went for the low-hanging fruit and found the worst cases possible.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:00 AM, Bubbles1967 said:

The majority of the caretakers and relatives of the people on the show are obese. You would think that the would watch their weight given the situation. 

I think maybe it has the opposite effect on them.  "Oh, I'm overweight, but I can still move and work and I'm not 700 pounds like Mama, so I'm good."

On 2/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, gardendiva said:

Part of the lack of alarm on the part of family members allowing kids to see their relative naked must come from the fact that the fat has so distorted their body they don’t even look human anymore. Any correlation to what those parts look like on a normal sized body has been obliterated, and large folds of fat actually obscure the actual parts from being seen. Not that I approve or condone it, quite the opposite; it’s inappropriate in every case, but I am just trying to understand how these people can all be so casual about the constant nudity on this show.

Maybe this is a little TMI, but yesterday I had to visit the doctor.  The "lady" doctor.  And I had to take my two year-old twin boys with me, because my baby sitter got sick.  You can bet I kept my robe tightly around myself at all times, and a blanket over my lap during the exam.  The boys were in their stroller, facing away from the action.  All that, even though they are 2 and won't remember this day.  Bottom line, I agree- how can people be so casual about this?  I worry that these kids will grow up thinking this is "normal."  It seems like a lot of kids these days have no real concept of shame or dignity, but maybe it's because their families don't, either.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:41 PM, ThisGirlAsh said:

Remember the woman from a couple of seasons ago who had a disabled son?  Like, she had to actually pick him up and carry him around?  And she was also caring for a toddler son?  And then the disabled son DIED during filming of the episode?  THAT is stress.  THAT is having "something going on."  Not these asshats who sit in bed watching tv and playing on their phones all day.

Somewhere, Nicole the Juggalo is drinking a Faygo and smirking.  "I don't look so bad now, do I?"

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Otter said:

Welp, finally watched this episode.  She reminded me of someone with dementia.  If there's early onset Alzheimer's, there must be early onset dementia.  My mom had dementia and lived with me so I'm well acquainted with the awful horrible disease and Lisa shows the traits.  Her demands and outbursts aren't the normal demands and outbursts we see every week.  I don't know how to find the words to articulate the differences, but Lisa was different.  There's a distinct "meanness" in people suffering from dementia and Lisa showed it.  

I hope no one here understands what I'm saying because I wouldn't wish that disease on any family.  It's truly heartbreaking and awful.  

There is such a thing as early onset dementia.  A friend, just 49 years old, just got diagnosed with it.  Whatever Lisa has she has no interest in changing her eating habits or treating her family like anything other than servants.  So sad.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, aliya said:

Or is he giving her sex for the reward of letting him feed her?

Something else I've been thinking about. How many morbidly obese are in their homes, maybe bed bound, being cared for by family? It doesn't seem that the people on this show have home health aides, visiting nurses, or whatever, just enslaved family members, including children, who wipe down, grease up, and bathe the obese person. Not only is this a lot of work for people who aren't really trained to do it, but the obese person must be in pain that isn't being controlled because they aren't seeing healthcare practitioners, from dentists to dermatologists. What an awful way to live.

I wonder about this, too.  Not the sex thing, because, yuck.  But I work with Medicaid here in Ohio, and these people would almost certainly be covered for home health aide services here.  Medicaid varies from state to state, but I would imagine at least some states have similar programs.  The programs here are based on income, assuming none of these people work they would likely meet the income standards and need, i.e., how many of their Activities of Daily Living and Instrumental Activities of Daily living they are able to complete without hands-on assistance.  Maybe they just don't show the aides on tv?

On 2/21/2018 at 10:07 PM, steff13 said:

Does Lisa have her tongue pierced?  I saw something green in her mouth and thought it might be gum, but at the end I saw it again and it looked like a piercing.  I started to speculate why she might have that, but it went to an uncomfortable place, so I stopped.  

Obviously it's a green bean.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:21 AM, HahYallDoin said:

Don't disrespect me. I am a lady.' 

Ahem.  I believe the correct quote (although it was bleeped) was "I am a fucking lady."

• Love 8
On 2/26/2018 at 6:37 AM, Calicocats said:

James K's car broke down and the apartment complex wanted to tow it away.  I don't know about you, but that would cause me to gain 157 lbs.  at least...

I think about that sometimes. I wonder if the car looked abandoned or something? If you have an assigned space, or the right to an available unassigned space, in your apartment complex, how can they tell you to move it? There are apartment condos near me with indoor and outdoor parking. If I didn't want to leave the condo for a month, whose business is it but mine? How could they tell me to move the car if I have a right to be there?  I understand trolling for abandoned cars, but this wasn't abandoned; it just needed to be fixed.  Obviously I don't have enough on my plate at work to be worrying about this stuff...

13 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Obviously it's a green bean.

Haha! I thought I saw orange at one point. Maybe that was a carrot.

This is off topic, but maybe someone can help or point me in the direction to find out. I tried to log in from another computer and I got the password wrong too many times. Today I got an email that said "We have detected 5 failed log in attempts to your account from United States. If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful and we have blocked the IP address from further attempts so no action is required." But it was me, and I still want to be able to log in from that computer. Is there a way to get the IP address unblocked?

11 minutes ago, aliya said:

I think about that sometimes. I wonder if the car looked abandoned or something? If you have an assigned space, or the right to an available unassigned space, in your apartment complex, how can they tell you to move it? There are apartment condos near me with indoor and outdoor parking. If I didn't want to leave the condo for a month, whose business is it but mine? How could they tell me to move the car if I have a right to be there?  I understand trolling for abandoned cars, but this wasn't abandoned; it just needed to be fixed.  Obviously I don't have enough on my plate at work to be worrying about this stuff...

My condo complex doesn't allow cars to be unmoved for more than 10 days (unless you notify the office that you'll be away). Though now we have assigned spots, so I'm the only one who should be in my spot anyway, and how would they know if I've moved when I always park in the same place? They also consider non-working cars left over 10 days to be abandoned (I think that's the gist of the wording in the handbook, at least). (You're also not allowed to do car repairs in the lot, other than changing a tire.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aliya said:

If it had a flat maybe? We lived once where they wouldn't allow you to leave your car sit on a flat for more than a day. You had to move it, or fix it. 

I wish there'd be an announcement--maybe just a strip in writing at the bottom of the screen--explaining why none of the patients on this show have apparently never seen the show.  My admiration for Dr. Nowzaradan's patience is enormous:  these guys all go through the same series of events.  They're enormously fat, to the point of being at death's door, and they've never been interested in watching a tv show about enormously fat people and what they did to lose weight?  I lost a lot of weight on my own about six years ago (and kept it off!), and I was fascinated by shows like this when I had a bmi of 45.  I wasn't really looking for guidance, but I was fascinated by how people who weighed more than me lived their lives.  Watching this show actually steered me onto the path of learning to eat like a normal person--seeing the enormous piles of food people like Lisa were eating; hearing all of them talking about "eating healthy" when it was clear that what they needed to do was to eat *less*--whether it was cupcakes or carrot sticks--; watching every goddam one of them think that bariatric surgery was a magic bullet.  None of them that I recall understood that what they needed to do was to eat less food, and that the surgery was a way to help them eat less, but that weight loss depended *solely* on their eating less.  All of them are so fucking surprised that eating 1200 calories a day (that is, the ones who do manage to follow Dr. Now's diet) can allow them to lose *immense* amounts of weight because it's such a drop from the tens of thousands of calories they're eating now.

But how can they be so unaware of this show?  Do the producers seek out people who've never seen it?  Are potential patients screened for show awareness?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I wish there'd be an announcement--maybe just a strip in writing at the bottom of the screen--explaining why none of the patients on this show have apparently never seen the show.  My admiration for Dr. Nowzaradan's patience is enormous:  these guys all go through the same series of events.  They're enormously fat, to the point of being at death's door, and they've never been interested in watching a tv show about enormously fat people and what they did to lose weight?  I lost a lot of weight on my own about six years ago (and kept it off!), and I was fascinated by shows like this when I had a bmi of 45.  I wasn't really looking for guidance, but I was fascinated by how people who weighed more than me lived their lives.  Watching this show actually steered me onto the path of learning to eat like a normal person--seeing the enormous piles of food people like Lisa were eating; hearing all of them talking about "eating healthy" when it was clear that what they needed to do was to eat *less*--whether it was cupcakes or carrot sticks--; watching every goddam one of them think that bariatric surgery was a magic bullet.  None of them that I recall understood that what they needed to do was to eat less food, and that the surgery was a way to help them eat less, but that weight loss depended *solely* on their eating less.  All of them are so fucking surprised that eating 1200 calories a day (that is, the ones who do manage to follow Dr. Now's diet) can allow them to lose *immense* amounts of weight because it's such a drop from the tens of thousands of calories they're eating now.

But how can they be so unaware of this show?  Do the producers seek out people who've never seen it?  Are potential patients screened for show awareness?

FANTASTIC post!!   ::::::Standing Applesauce::::::

• Love 1