Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E11: Week 10: Season Finale Part 1

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Holy crap Alfonso is getting shredded on Instagram. People are really pissed. Think maybe he'll decide to have a little slice of pie himself now?

Maybe those people who rightfully shredded him should vote for Jordan 

• Love 4

Actually a little surprised Drew left. With the number of times they placed Frankie in jeopardy and with his scores last week not being much higher than Drew's I did think there was a possibility he would not make the Final 3 because Drew's fanbase would be stronger. That said, they were really selling the "Frankie is the crowd favorite" thing last night, with all the Frankie chants. Still think he'll come third though. That said, this was really the Final 3 most called back in the first two weeks, so no real surprise. 

Not really going to comment much on Drew and Emma's dances since they were eliminated, except to say I did enjoy their Freestyle even though it was essentially just a Lindy Hop. But as others have noted, including the Pros on the show, with the inclusion of Jazz and Contemporary as a regular part of the show, the Freestyles aren't really "something new" anymore. I liked Frankie's Foxtrot, though I still saw some issues with his footwork and some of his lines. It was beautiful though.

I liked his Freestyle, although I spent the whole time thinking it looked a lot like Derek's freestyle with Bethany, which I enjoyed far more than this one. That's actually one of my favorite freestyles and one of, in my opinion, Derek's more underrated ones. That said, I'm not sure why the executive producer was suggesting they go with something light and fun. Yes, Frankie has been the loveable underdog but we saw when Frankie did something light, fun and energetic, i.e. his Jazz and it was a hot ass mess. So I didn't really see why Witney's decision for the freestyle was being questioned. 

I loved both of Jordan's dances. However, the problem is it felt like the continuation of one long dance. While I understand what Len was saying about the Charleston the first time they did it (even though in my opinion that was the result of the theme and the crappy music they were given), having Jordan do that style for his redemption dance lessened the wow factor of his Freestyle because it was a lot of what we'd just seen him do less than hour before. Again, he danced it well and the tricks were nice but just wish he'd have had a slower style for his redemption dance to show better range. That said, that Charleston was freaking fire. Like Carrie Ann said, it was like him dancing on crack. 

I enjoyed both of Lindsey's dances as well and I loved the concept Mark chose for the Freestyle. It wasn't too surprising for who Lindsey is but it was the smart way to go and definitely more of the Mark we know and love as opposed to his last freestyle, which was with Paige where I don't know what happened there. That said, I felt like there were a few timing and synch issues in that number. And the ending felt like Lindsey came in a little behind the music and compensated for it with the over the top facial reactions and waving. So while I loved the concept and for the most part enjoyed the performance, I didn't love the dance. 

I honestly don't know who will win. I feel like a lot of viewers really like Lindsay and really want to see her win her first mirrorball but then Mark, as Lindsey (Stirling) pointed out, has only won twice in 19 seasons, which is crazy for how insanely talented he is. And Lindsey did close out the night. That said, I just cannot shake the feeling that she may not have enough viewer votes/support to pull off the win. Frankie is clearly a beloved underdog but with his scores being a few points behind the others and his sort of falling behind with the judges in the latter weeks, I don't see him pulling off the win. But who knows. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Loved Jordan and Lindsay. Really really want them to win as Lindsay is an amazing Dancer and Cherographer and Jordan is the best Partner she ever had. I just have a feeling I'm gonna be bummed big time with Lindsey Strirling winning. I just really want Lindsay Arnold to get the MBT Mark already has 2 of them. 

• Love 3

After watching all of tonight's dances, it was really obvious that Drew was the worst dancer left. On top of that, Emma decided that instead of showcasing her celeb she would give herself lots of tricks to show off. If she truly wanted to make Drew look good, she wouldn't have choreographed that beginning section with the fast footwork. He looked even worse surrounded by the pros executing it cleanly and crisply. Starting your dance by announcing "this guy is still clumsy and awkward!" is not the way to win.

I didn't see anything amazing about Mark & Lindsey's freestyle or redemption dance. I didn't watch any of the rehearsal packages so I was wondering if she was injured or if Mark just decided to choreograph clunky dances with awkward transitions.

Frankie and Witney's foxtrot was an improvement. I think he has improved more than Drew over the season. I wasn't crazy about the freestyle but I guess I can see that she was trying to tap into that intense/creepy energy he had in the Halloween dance.

Jordan and Lindsay were head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of choreography, technique, and performance. That Charleston was obviously a "Fine, you want the Charleston? I'll give you a Charleston!" routine and they were both excellent.

• Love 11

Mark's work this season has been nothing short of amazing!  And thankfully he has a gifted partner who can pull off what he has thrown at her.  He is head and shoulders above the other pros in my book. DWTS is lucky that he agreed to come back.

And on top of his awesome dancing, we got to hear him perform with his beautiful wife.

I was not a fan of Julianne's "dance" though.   i am not sure why they had to drag her back up.  The show was just fine as a Hough free zone.

• Love 3

Yes, I wish they would leave Julianne off, and just let her disappear.  The fact they introduced her like that in the beginning was way too much...she looks like she thinks she is all that, when I have not missed her a bit this year, lol.  I feel the other judges should get intros like that if they are going to do that at all....  I never like Julianne or Derek's contemporary dances they do on these shows...they all look the same to me.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I just watched the violin section again in Mark and Lindsey's Freestyle. I'm going to have to agree with others who feel Lindsey's violin playing was not live. Electric violins have an electric cord and a microphone, right? There was no cord or mic attached to Lindsey's violin. She did, however, make her violin playing look convincing as she danced with Mark and was lifted by him. Still loved it.

That’s true. Although I think the chord is very hard to see, especially if you are wearing all black. Regardless, I think she was still playing the part even if it wasn’t the actual music we were hearing. But we can debate this back and forth, they’ll probably never tell us one way or the other because it will ruin the illusion. In the end it doesn’t really matter to me, because it was amazing no matter what!

• Love 1

I am really rooting for Lindsey and Mark to win after that freestyle. She has actually had the arc this season and improved since the beginning. Jordan is a great dancer, but he came into the show a great dancer. Lindsey has actually added some excitement to this otherwise boring finale because I honestly could see either her or Jordan winning now. Last week I would have said Jordan has it in the bag. This is the first season in awhile I recall actually being unsure about who will win.

I think Lindsey and Mark had the standout freestyle. It was different and it showcased who Lindsey is which I loved. Also I do think she was actually playing the violin, though it probably wasn't microphoned. As someone else said, it's harder to fake playing than to just play.

Jordan and Lindsay's freestyle was good, but as others said, it didn't really feel new. He already did a high energy Charleston the same night, and the prior week he had that insane Jive. Also the freestyle did remind me of ones we have seen in the past like Alfonso and Witney's. It just didn't stand out that much to me because of that. I agree with another poster who said it'd have been cool if they incorporated a shoutout to Hamilton or some other work he has been involved with.

Also the sound blurb from Alfonso implying Jordan was cocky was strange to me. I do think Jordan is cocky/confident, but he tries so hard to look humble on the show... like when I think of Jordan I just think of his over the top humble act not him being cocky. I'm sure he knows he is the best dancer on the show and isn't that shocked when he gets a nice comment. I wonder if he will cry again tonight.

I actually didn't dislike Frankie's freestyle like a lot of people on here did. I don't really know what would have been perfect for Frankie. He seems to do better in dramatic pieces though so I think that's why Witney went that direction. I don't think this caused Frankie to lose. I think it was a longshot for him to win at this point. If Witney had come up with some amazing freestyle then he may have been able to pull an upset, but I think that was unlikely to ever happen. I think Frankie will take 3rd.

I think if Lindsey wins, this is another example of how the freestyle can propel you to the top spot. Of course it's also about the story, and she would have had the perfect week to shine and peak, as I think this was her best week. I really hope she wins now, when a week ago I wasn't that bothered. I actually voted for Frankie previously, but this week it all went to Lindsey. I won't be upset if Jordan wins either though, mainly since I'd be happy Lindsay gets her first MBT. I would feel a bit bad for Lindsay and Jordan if they lose, just because I imagine they've thought it's a run away season and easily theirs to lose all season. But Mark really pulled out the stops this week. Seems like he has had ideas for that freestyle for weeks. Of course Lindsey is also a great contestant to showcase in a freestyle since she has a unique talent compared to most prior contestants, and her personality seems to gel perfectly with Mark.

Edited by bealled
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't see anything amazing about Mark & Lindsey's freestyle or redemption dance. I didn't watch any of the rehearsal packages so I was wondering if she was injured or if Mark just decided to choreograph clunky dances with awkward transitions

THIS.  That redemption dance in particular was terrible. She was very stiff in the dance position, you have to be relaxed in hold and I thought the footwork was very very simple with a bunch of mucking around to eat up time.  If Julianne wants to see a good QS in hold all the way through then she should rewind Jordan's. The Freestyle was just more of what she does on tour, as far as inspiration goes Mark is on tour with her so it's a no brainer to just bring it to the ballroom. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't see anything amazing about Mark & Lindsey's freestyle or redemption dance. I didn't watch any of the rehearsal packages so I was wondering if she was injured or if Mark just decided to choreograph clunky dances with awkward transitions.

Same here. I thought the quickstep was average, and the freestyle could have been danced better and cleaner, or just have included more dancing period.

I think Lindsey can move well, but Mark did not give her dances that I felt really showed that. I think a couple of the dances that she did earlier in the season topped last night with creativity and with quality of movement, so Mark was not at his, potentially, impressive best imo. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Also, am I weird for not being wowed by Stirling's freestyle? I felt like she actually didn't dance much compared to some of the others and that Mark's flair for a performance was showcased more than her actual dance ability. Of course YMMV.  But if people say Jordan put on a Broadway number because it's his wheelhouse (true), wouldn't the same be said for Lindsey doing a theatrical violin piece like she has in music videos?  

I wasn't wowed either.

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Very true. I'm so happy for Robert that he is continuing to do what he loves to do and he is getting plenty of work. He is still handsome, but not gorgeous like he was before his accident.

Robert danced full out on the Jordan and Lindsay freestyle.  It was cool to see him there. 

• Love 1

I'll be sad for Lindsey and Mark if Jordan the Ringer takes it. I don't find a professional like him who comes from Broadway and who has starred in Grease with one of the pro judges particularly compelling (moreso than any other generic pro dancer) but I guess I'm in the minority with all his fanfare I'm seeing. Hope to be wrong.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

I'll be sad for Lindsey and Mark if Jordan the Ringer takes it. I don't find a professional like him who comes from Broadway and who has starred in Grease with one of the pro judges particularly compelling (moreso than any other generic pro dancer) but I guess I'm in the minority with all his fanfare I'm seeing. Hope to be wrong.

He didn't star in Grease, I read he had a very small role.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 1

I was hoping for a SURPRISING! And SHOCKING! elimination and that Lindsey and Mark would get the boot.  Wasn't really expecting it but still hoping.  

All my votes went to Frankie. 

Go away, Julianne.  And take Alexander Jean with you. 

• Love 7

I liked all the freestyles.  It was nice to not see a manipulative contemporary.  At the same time, I have negatives for each one too.  Also, WTH, Alfonso!!  I've never said bad things about him even when I saw negative posts.  I wanted him to win on his season.  I agree that Alfonso saying that Jordan needs to eat humble pie is like the pot calling the kettle black.  The show wanted drama but it was throwing shade at Jordan at the same time.

Drew's freestyle was fun.  But putting him next to the C Bros. just showed how bad a dancer he is.  I enjoyed watching the dance though.  Emma was so cute when she was talking about having two MBTs and they would talk, etc.  She gets so excited that I cracked up when she accidentally hit Drew while talking to Erin.

I can also see why Witney went with drama and production for Frankie.  His best dances were his contemporary and Pirates AT.  His worst dance was the light and fluffy Trolls jazz dance.  But he needed a character to play.  So while this was a nice production, Frankie didn't stand out like he should.  Plus when you have a powerful song like that, then your energy needs to stay up and you can't let the song overpower you.  My DD was passing by and she said that she loved this song.  I knew she did and she choreographed something to it.  Then she heard the band sing and said, "This is why I can't get into this show.  It makes my ears bleed."  Yup, the band butchered the song as usual.

Dance-wise, I liked Jordan's freestyle the best.  They executed it well and Jordan really nailed the nuances of the Broadway style.  However, I can also see this season ending up like Corbin and Amber's season.  Corbin and Katrina performed a great MJ freestyle.  But Amber and Derek was more unique and showed a different side of Amber so people voted for them to win.  

Lindsey and Mark's freestyle fit them.  It was quirky, creative, and different.  The negative is that I didn't see a lot of dancing except towards the end.  So it felt like one of her music videos.  The dancing that I did see wasn't executed that well.  However, I used to dance and I watch a lot of dancing live and on television.  I can also nit pick Jordan's Charleston and Lindsey's quickstep.  So what I notice probably doesn't affect the general audience.  I did like the lift where one of Lindsey's legs is on Mark's shoulder and she does a split.  I've seen it before but it was nice to see in the freestyle  and it used her flexibility. 

Since I enjoyed Jordan and Lindsay the most all season and I preferred their freestyle, I hope they win.  But I can see Mark and Lindsey winning based on their freestyle.  That's how the show goes.  I just hope that they are the top two.  Drew is a nice guy but I didn't want a David Ross situation where he ended up second.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

Frankie’s talk about how confident he is won’t blip the radar (it shouldn’t, I have no problem with it) but if another contestant that shall remain nameless talked about how confident they were they’d be called cocky and some would use that as the reason they haven’t been able to put their finger on all season that they didn’t like them. Only certain contestants are allowed to be openly confident while others must remain humble at all times. Just a thought.

While I think some of the criticism against Jordan of him being arrogant, too rehearsed, etc. is ridiculous since the truth is that some simply some don't enjoy ringers on the show period, I will say that I think the reason no one would make a fuss about Frankie's comment is that his storyline throughout the season has been his lack of confidence. So him saying last night that he is confident would, to some viewers, just be the culmination of his "journey" throughout the season. You know how some love their "journey" with this show. Me personally, I don't care but I acknowledge I may be in the minority on that.

There've been so many damn seasons of this show, that it's all interchangeable at this point. The narratives are pretty much so ingrained that none of it is new or different anymore including the viewer reactions and comments - i.e. we will have the ringer that many will say goes against the "spirit" of the show that is supposedly about non-dancers learning to dance, others will love the ringer, we will have the loveable underdog who "grows" throughout the competition that some viewers will say they represent the true spirit of the show, there will be the "inspirational" contestant and then throw in the athlete and it's rinse, lather and repeat.

He’s stupid to be saying things like “Lindsay has made me a better artist” – he really strikes the wrong notes far too often when he talks, like a teenager.

I don't get that. I've never seen the accusation that Jordan sounds like a teenager. If anything, I've read how people can't connect with him because he always sounds so PR trained that some feel it comes off as disingenuous (I disagree by the way). I see nothing wrong with that comment and I think it was perhaps a subtle way of responding to all the ringer hate in saying that yeah, he clearly has dance and performance experience but he did grow throughout the competition just like others and did learn a lot from Lindsay, who is an excellent teacher. As others have noted, for whatever one thinks of Jordan, his complete deference to Lindsay throughout the season and appreciation of her was wonderful to see.

-Lindsey's freestyle was absolutely incredible, easily of my favorite freestyles i've ever seen. So creative, so original. No one but Lindsey and Mark could've done that and that's the thing Jordan's was missing. 

As others noted, thing is, while yes it was unique to her, it is essentially what she's been doing for years. Lindsey Stirling's whole schtick has been melding all kinds of dance styles into her violin playing. So in that sense, her freestyle was really not that outside her wheelhouse either. It was unique to the DWTS show yes but certainly not something she's never done. And so I feel like it's a little unfair when the others are compared to that as not being as unique because they didn't have a schtick they've used for years that they simply replicated for their freestyle. Which, if I wasn't clear, I feel is essentially what Lindsey's freestyle was.

That was a total eff up as far as I’m concerned from Witney.  The heavy acting session before it about how much he trusted her and how much she’d changed his life show that production is trying to mitigate the effects, but I’d be stunned if that got him a win

The minute Frankie started falling out of favor with the judges and going lower in his judges' scores, he wasn't going to win .

Whether one believes Jordan isn't humble or not is moot, its Alfonso of all people saying it that's laughable. Pot meet kettle.

This exactly. When I saw this, I literally yelled out, "Seriously, Alfonso? You of all people should not be talking about humble pie."

I felt like Jordan looked nervous for the first time ever during the hat & cane part - once those were ditched safely (whew!) he seemed to get into his groove. 

Well that's probably because he kept dropping them during the final run through, which likely rattled him a bit. 

I have never really minded Alfonso, I actually didn't mind when he won his season, tonight though he came off as the most insufferable, ignorant, jealous, self-absorbed, nincompoop. I feel as if someone really needs to introduce Alfonso to Alfonso, because he is the last person on Earth who needs to be giving anyone advice on how to humble themselves. The way he carries himself, you have to wonder if he wears weighted shoes to keep himself from floating away due to his giant, inflated ego.

How dare he insert such a personal jab at Jordan, and for what reason? Last I checked, Jordan did every single thing that Lindsay has given him to do since he stepped out on the dance floor. Not once did that kid ever reject her, did he ever argue with her, nor did he ever pretend like he knew what they should do and go against her advice.

But I do recall Alfonso doing that with Witney, I believe it was their Samba, because he was so convinced that he could create a better dance to the music, which of course did not work, the judges all slapped him down for it, and he had to eat a full serving of humble pie in that moment.

Giving you a rousing hand of applause. Except unlike you, I minded him during the season he won as well. He was annoying then and he's more annoying now since he won't ever go the fuck away. 

Even tho, Alfonso comment wasnt the best choice at all, where was the lie? I mean Alfonso really cant talk but Jordan has been pretty cocky and I was thinking if a female acted like him, omg she would have been dragged to the high heavens. Even tho, I appreciate his treatment of Lindsay and his gratitude for her, he has made some cocky comments but he is guy so he will get a pass. I still be fine if he wins.

What were those cocky comments? Because I watched the whole season and I saw Jordan being hard on himself at times, especially if his scores dropped, I saw him being nothing but reverent of Lindsay and respectful of the judges and always talking about how grateful he was. Grateful for the show, the experience and Lindsay. What I have also seen is that from day one, some viewers didn't care for him because he was the "ringer" and didn't fit the "spirit" of what the show is supposed to be. And then he got criticized for his answers and interviews being too polished, too politically correct as if he was trained and so not being genuine. And so then it became, "I don't connect with him, I don't feel like I really know who he is, etc."

Again, to be clear, I don't care who wins this thing. I didn't vote now as I really haven't ever when it comes to this show. But as I noted above, the narratives with the show have become so predictable - both by the producers and their edits and how the viewers respond and react to the contestants. Replace Jordan with Corbin and you have the exact same comments. The only reason Alfonso's smug ass won is because the average viewers of this show were nostalgic enough about the one acting role he's most known for. That and the field that season was not that strong. Janel was good but people didn't care for her and her fauxmance with Val, Bethany didn't connect with viewers because she was an introvert who truly gave zero fucks one way or another about winning the show and Sadie was cute and the adorable favored underdog but her dancing was mediocre to average. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11
25 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

He didn't star in Grease, I read he had a very small role.

I know. I used that word too loosely to mean he had a role in it because it amounts to the same thing for my opinion of his professional singer-dancer performance background.

22 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

He got attention for his singing not his dancing. 

He has looked every bit the polished professional from the onset for me so this info doesn't affect my opinion in any way. He is interchangeable to Corbin for me (and Jordan himself, apparently). 

Well, I had to miss watching this live because I was away from home for most of it, but I finally caught up to all of the dances this morning.

Starting with Drew/Emma's dances, I did actually enjoy both of them. I think Emma knew that Drew might be eliminated here, so he let him go out with a bang. Maybe not a loud bang, and she had to have a little more to hide his weaknesses, but I get why she added in some flashy lifts and flips and such for his freestyle. It did work for me, though. I think with Drew being extremely tall, Emma could utilize that for the freestyle and she did. I found it quite enjoyable. Three 10s enjoyable? Maybe not, but it is the last week here and it didn't end up mattering anyway.

I rolled my eyes at the production interference segment on Witney/Frankie, but that's not their fault. I did enjoy both of their dances a lot. Their week 1 Foxtrot is what got me hooked on Frankie, so I'm super glad they could also end on Foxtrot. I think it's Frankie's best technical dance style to do, and his version here did not disappoint either. I think there is a problem with Witney's approach to what to add to Frankie's dances, and I think it's because she can push him so much further in dancing and she hasn't quite achieved that for me. She's got the performance parts down, as shown with giving Frankie a more dramatic piece with his Freestyle (which was extremely smart, even if not executed well enough at times). Although I also liked his Cha-Cha so as long as his performance piece isn't goofy like the god awful Trolls dance, then I think he can own it. But I think Witney could have pushed him more in the dance department and I just don't feel like she has. 

So, I guess I liked his Freestyle, but thought it could have been better. Part of me does wonder what type of fluffy piece the producers had in mind...even though the segment was faked. I do like seeing how his confidence grew over the season. He's had a lot of personal growth and I do think he'll come out of this season being more confident about himself. This show has seemed to do wonders on him. I don't expect he'll win, nor am I rooting for him to win over the other two, but I'm also glad he wasn't robbed out of the finals over Drew. 

I've mentioned many times before how I've just not been able to get into Jordan. I've figured out it's most likely due to how perfect he's been with little room for improvement...because he's already there. Do I enjoy Jordan and Lindsay's dances? Sure, once I rewatch them. It's the same deal I had with Normani. They're coming in at the top, they're staying at the top, and there's basically no critiques going on for them, besides one or two forced ones to make it seem like they're growing over the season. It's a real shame that I'm not enarmoured by Jordan because I absolutely adore Lindsay, love how she works with the celebs, and think she's an excellent dancer and choreographer. I've watched many of her previous season dances over some time and think she's done some phenomenal work, and I do think that she works very well with Jordan. I do want her to win and will be fine with her winning. I guess my issue is just with Jordan, then. He seems nice as a person, but there's been no growth in my perspective and I really, really like growth. 

That being said, I did like their two dances. They won't necessarily be ones that I remember in a few months when thinking of my favourite DWTS dances (though their Salsa will be in that category), but they were danced well. I don't know all that much about the Charleston, so I didn't know what I was watching with their dance there, but I guess I'll take everyone's word that it was, indeed, a Charleston. I do think Lindsay worked with Jordan's strengths. He's not a technical ballroom dancer; he's a fluid, Contemporary-like dancer, so his motions, movements, and positions are not going to be like others. 

Lindsey and Mark are the ones I am rooting for to win, personally. I'd love for Lindsay to win her first Mirrorball, but Lindsey/Mark have both entertained me and several of their dances are going to be memorable for me in the future. From their Memorable Night dance to their Sci Fi and now to their Freestyle, they are the ones I love the most. Their redemption dance was well done, but their Freestyle was just the best I've seen. Even as a new fan, and having only watched certain celebrity dances online from this show, I just can't get this dance out of my head. Mark completely appealed to Lindsey's strengths and I was wondering if he'd bring her violin into the dances. She's grown a lot as well. She's been good, but she's also had her weaknesses. She's delivered to the highest extent, and I just get such a joy out of watching her. I loved the violin part. Sure, it was mostly Mark flipping her while she most likely pretended to play, but that also takes a lot of work to do. She was still dancing throughout it, and it is a Freestyle, so anything goes. Mark had to capture the audience and boosting Lindsey into a few more votes, and I think he did it. 

Will it get her the win? Maybe, maybe not. It really does depend. I do hope it'll be close, because Jordan's kind of been running away with the season, and it's so nice to see that there's pressure on him at the end. I think healthy competition is good, and I am truly looking forward to seeing who wins.

Honestly, I am loving this final three. Last season, I was horribly disappointed with David being in the finals over some others, but I wasn't surprised. I think each of these three finalists are good choices that make me happy, and I will not be disappointed either way. I got to see all three of them to the very end, which is what I hoped for in week 1. That's all I'm happy with. 

• Love 6

I've checked in on the season, on and off.  I was rooting for Frankie but then I found out he's a republican and that ruined everything.  But someone upthread said that his freestyle reminded them of Derek and Bethany's freestyle.  I have to agree because that's what I thought about the entire time watching his.  I also thought back to Bethany's paso because didn't she use that same song?  The singer also ruined the song.  That was awful.  Every time I checked out the show this season, there was some awful singing going on.

I decided to check out Mark and Lindsey's freestyle just to see why everyone is raving about it and I don't get it.  I wasn't wowed by it.  That's not going to throw a wrench into the plans of that Jordan guy winning.  It looked clunky and there wasn't a lot of dancing going on.  It surely doesn't deserve an Emmy.

So, that Jordan guy is probably going to win and I wish he wouldn't because one, who is he?  What is his claim to fame?  Two, he's basically a pro.  If it was really Lindsay's turn to win and they had to hand her a pro to make that happen, then...

My problem with Witney's choreo has always been that she likes to throw in a dash of hip hop in almost everything. It worked well for Alfonso, who was a dash-of-hip-hop kind of guy. It hasn't worked well for any of her other partners. Frankie has coped the best, but it just doesn't suit him. The salsa last week was way too much hip hop, and was IMO their worst dance (aside from the technical issues in the Jazz), especially since it was supposed to be a "chosen just for him" dance. I don't object to them taking their freestyle in a more dramatic direction. But every time they used the troupe in the triangle formation, it made me think of every hip hop troupe I've ever seen on America's Got Talent. I liked the paso-tango parts much better.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

He has looked every bit the polished professional from the onset for me so this info doesn't affect my opinion in any way. He is interchangeable to Corbin for me (and Jordan himself, apparently

So that's interesting. Grease as the reason he's a ringer, but he's noted for his singing not dancing in it. 

As far as being compared to Corbin, that's very nice I'm sure for Jordan to hear, but I saw real nerves on Jordan, and I have seen that from time to time, even on that great Salsa, Jordan is concentrating while Corbin is relaxed and groovin' with the flow. Sure he wasn't being judged, but one wrong move and the team would have been judged. Corbin has had oodles of experience as the lead dancer and I think this was one of Jordan's first times he's had to be the focus of something like that Freestyle.  I would compare it to being a member of a singing chorus and then having to solo. It's not always as easy as just doing it.  I thought that nervousness was endearing. You could see how much he wants this for himself and his partner. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Bosstonz16 said:

Also, am I weird for not being wowed by Stirling's freestyle? 

Well, if you're weird, then so am I.  Don't get me wrong - I thought it was a great number.  But I'm reading some of the other comments about greatest ever etc. etc. etc., and I'm just not feeling it.  I'm probably even weirder than you, because I seem to be the only one (haven't read all the comments yet, though) who really liked Frankie's freestyle.  For the Mustang household, Jordan's was No. 1, Frankie's No. 2, Lindsey's #3, and Drew's #4.  We might have ranked him higher but we thought it was just too strange when Emma stopped the dance midway through for everyone to take a breather.  Very odd.  We think we know what she was going for; we just didn't care for it.  And we couldn't believe it when the judges scored Drew's freestyle 1 point higher than Frankie's.  Different strokes indeed.  We would have given Frankie's freestyle all 10s; we really did like it a lot.

Drew has definitely improved so much this season, and he seems like a nice guy, but we agree with him going out in 4th place.  We loved Frankie's foxtrot - so very nice.  Jordan's Charleston was great.  I am a fan of the quickstep, but I thought something seemed just a bit off in places during Lindsey's.  Not sure what exactly.  I would have given her the 39, but that's just me.

That said, I can make an argument for any of them to win the mirrorball trophy.  I want Jordan to win most of all because we just adore him.  I honestly don't see what others see that make them think he's anything other than humble and genuine.  I really don't get it.  He seems like a really sweet, hard-working, down-to-earth guy who appreciates how lucky he is and who isn't afraid to give others credit where credit is due.  I love watching him dance, and Lindsay's choreography has been wonderful all season.  I'd love to see her win her first trophy.  Frankie is just so much fun for us to watch.  He makes us smile.  He's not the best dancer, and he's erratic.  But he's hung in there, he seems to be really enjoying himself, he tries so hard . . . since this isn't actually a real dance competition, why not him for the win?  It took a while for me to warm up to Lindsey.  Don't know why, but she was just 'there' for me the first few weeks.  But she's grown on me.  To me she's like Frankie - very inconsistent.  But some of her dances have been exceptional.  So we shall see!  Good luck to all of them!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I just watched the violin section again in Mark and Lindsey's Freestyle. I'm going to have to agree with others who feel Lindsey's violin playing was not live. Electric violins have an electric cord and a microphone, right? There was no cord or mic attached to Lindsey's violin. She did, however, make her violin playing look convincing as she danced with Mark and was lifted by him. Still loved it.

This. I play the violin, so I was paying close attention to how her bowing lined up with the music and her left hand. At the end when Mark is flipping her over, her bow stroke is broken up a bit and looks staccato, but the note playing live is one long fluid note. While she did a great job essentially air-violining her own music (I'd assume she pre-recorded the violin part), there's no way production would allow her to play that live. A lot of things can go wrong in a live performance like that (a string can pop or slide out of tune, she could botch a note during the flip), so it's safer to just lip synch to yourself. Also, she wasn't playing a traditional violin where there's a hollow body that projects live music, she was using an electric violin that requires amplification just to be heard well. She could have been playing a half-note flat the entire time and we'd never know because it would never be heard over the sound system and the crowd noise. So I'm going to have to repeat what others said and say she did a great job of doing air-violin, and they're banking on the general audience who's voting to believe she's playing live for the wow factor, but I'd bet my house she's not playing live live. But if they come out and say that was her playing live, I'll gladly eat crow.

• Love 8

Given some of the comments I get the feeling that Lindsey and Mark could have made it #2 with that Freestyle. If they were more involved with the show maybe even win. But before last evening that I think they would have been #3. There has been a bit of a disconnect with this team over the last while.  Whining about touring is just not something people care about, especially when you are professional, either suck it up and do the work or adjust your schedule.  Obviously DWTS wasn't their #1 priority which is fine, but when others are giving their time to devote to the show and they may have many commitments themselves, but don't make excuses then it resonates more because the DWTS audience is just as deserving of their all.  Heck Drew and Emma were bi-coastal the whole 10 weeks. The Frankie fans might just be more devoted.  We will see.

Edited by Andiethewestie
28 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

So that's interesting. You site Grease as the reason he's a ringer, but he's noted for his singing not dancing in it. 

As far as being compared to Corbin, that's very nice I'm sure for Jordan to hear, but I saw real nerves on Jordan, and I have seen that from time to time, even on that great Salsa, Jordan is concentrating while Corbin is relaxed and groovin' with the flow. Sure he wasn't being judged, but one wrong move and the team would have been judged. Corbin has had oodles of experience as the lead dancer and I think this was one of Jordan's first times he's had to be the focus of something like that Freestyle.  I would compare it to being a member of a singing chorus and then having to solo. It's not always as easy as just doing it.  I thought that nervousness was endearing. You could see how much he wants this for himself and his partner. 

I cited his just coming off of his Broadway debut as well as his stint in Grease with one of the show's pro dancers-turned-judge. Whether he is merely "noted for his singing" in a particular role doesn't change the fact he is a trained and accomplished professional singer, actor, dancer--and it doesn't interest me. Rarely, if ever, do I root for the ringer.

Jordan did an entire package skit comparing himself to Corbin, saying they were interchangeable.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, anonymiss said:

I cited his just coming off of his Broadway debut as well as his stint in Grease with one of the show's pro dancers-turned-judge. Whether he is merely "noted for his singing" in a particular role doesn't change the fact he is a trained and accomplished professional singer, actor, dancer--and it doesn't interest me. Rarely, if ever, do I root for the ringer.

Jordan did an entire package skit comparing himself to Corbin. 

And Julianne isn't in the tank for her former partner, of course she is, and she has a reason for stating what she did.   

Too bad you don't enjoy dancers who have training.  I love them and I try to get to every ballet, every dance show I can. I'm hoping Jordan will be on the tour - if he is I'm getting tickets.  I like to be entertained. 

2 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

Too bad you don't enjoy dancers who have training.  I love them and I try to get to every ballet, every dance show I can. I'm hoping Jordan will be on the tour - if he is I'm getting tickets.  I like to be entertained. 

I am absolutely buying the tickets the minute he is announced as being on tour. I am hoping Frankie is too.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Runningwild said:

I’ll be fine with a Frankie or Stirling win. Still don’t like Jordan. He’s the exact same dancer as he was in week 1. Come on, he did an airplane. He should be on Broadway. Oh wait. You know what? I think he is the ringerest ringer who ever ringed. 

Thank you. In all honesty, the only person who wasn't challenged last night was Jordan. I don't think Lindsey has ever been tossed in the air while playing violin. Frankie and Drew certainly had no experience doing the routines they were challenged with last night. But Jordan has been perfect since week 1. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jordan could be a pro next season and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. He's on Lindsay's level. In fact, I think he might be a better dancer than Alan. I think even Meryl Davis (my favorite ever despite her ringer status) showed more improvement over the course of the season than Jordan.

My votes went to Frankie because I love him and I think Whitney knows she might have botched the freestyle in Maks fashion. But their redemption dance was my favorite. I just love him. I typically don't root for the worst dancers left, but Frankie has something so genuine about him and I enjoy watching him dance in spite of any weaknesses.

Sterling deserves the win because of Mark. That freestyle was a moment in time that will be referenced in the DWTS and TV dance canon. Mark CRUSHED it. I so missed his creativity. He's a gift to us all and I hope he wins an Emmy. Lindsey did a spectacular job all season. I've always loved her music but now I like her as a dancer and as a person.

I would bet any amount of money that Alfonso made the humble pie comment thinking the interview as over. I am surprised at the choice to air it. I agree with Alfonso 100%, but it's not a good look to have said that. I'm left to wonder if TPTB are trying to draw attention to Jordan's hubris or if they're trying to anger his fanbase into power voting.

• Love 4

Wait, is Robert Roldan the guy that sometimes shows up in the troupe (well, not the actual trope, but as an extra dancer) that makes me think Shannon is back for half a second? I like him. (I like Shannon, too. I'd like to see him back.)

I know he's not Shannon because he's not quite as bulky and I don't know anything about him, but he's got the same kind of dark and bearded look with a kind of unique movement style that seems to separate him from the rest of the generic background dancers.

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

After watching all of tonight's dances, it was really obvious that Drew was the worst dancer left. On top of that, Emma decided that instead of showcasing her celeb she would give herself lots of tricks to show off. If she truly wanted to make Drew look good, she wouldn't have choreographed that beginning section with the fast footwork. He looked even worse surrounded by the pros executing it cleanly and crisply. Starting your dance by announcing "this guy is still clumsy and awkward!" is not the way to win.

Frankie and Witney's foxtrot was an improvement. I think he has improved more than Drew over the season. I wasn't crazy about the freestyle but I guess I can see that she was trying to tap into that intense/creepy energy he had in the Halloween dance.

Jordan and Lindsay were head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of choreography, technique, and performance. That Charleston was obviously a "Fine, you want the Charleston? I'll give you a Charleston!" routine and they were both excellent.

This all day! That's the exact wording I used when watching it live. I too saw it as clunky with awkward transitions, and actually not much actual dance. I am shocked people are calling it iconic.  It pretty much looks like her shows. I have no idea who will win, but it's about votes. at the end of the day, as Tom says "vote for your fave". I think Jordan and Lindsey should win (it's so confusing reading about the pairs when there's two Lindseys lol) based on their body of work, but again it's about votes. I somehow thought that Jordan's Freestyle was going to be "Hamilton" based. I'm surprised Lindsey didn't consider that.

• Love 2

Just rewatched some parts of the show that I missed watching it 'live' and noticed when Jordan/Lindsay and Lindsey/Mark were declared safe, Drew immediately reached over to give Witney's shoulder a squeeze... class act. Emma always has a beautifully regal expression, prepared to accept the decision with grace.

I wish Jordan's freestyle hadn't been so similar to his redemption dance. Not sure why... they were both excellent in my opinion (and I thoroughly enjoy his performances)... I guess I just would have preferred something more... 'different'?

Lindsey wowed me more during my re-watch. She really performed that freestyle with the essence of a goddess. Loved her facial expressions!

If I could award the MBT to anyone of my choosing, I'd break all the rules and give it to Lindsay + Lindsey.

• Love 2

Does Julianne not get any movie parts anymore? She sure takes after Maks in that she never goes away.

I thought Lindsey's freestyle was different, but it was awkward and clunky in places. Jordan's wasn't that original but it was still better IMO.

The Frankie pushing was all kinds of annoying. He surely must be going on tour.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I would bet any amount of money that Alfonso made the humble pie comment thinking the interview as over. I am surprised at the choice to air it. I agree with Alfonso 100%, but it's not a good look to have said that. I'm left to wonder if TPTB are trying to draw attention to Jordan's hubris or if they're trying to anger his fanbase into power voting.

Alfonso issued an apology last night in a video he posted on Instagram trying to blame bad editing, and the apology seemed half assed. Many people jumped on him though pointing out he said LIVE on Access Hollywood something about Jordan not connecting with viewers because he has no personality. IMO this interview was exactly as he meant it, he just stunned by how badly people took it.

My question is, why is Alfonso still, 3 years after his win still all over all things DWTS giving his opinion on contestants still competing? Move on, dude.

• Love 7

Jordan is suffering from not having a growth on the show, and doing so well all season, that during the finale people expected more. Sometimes it is tough to be the frontrunner because you are always expected to do better. His freestyle, while excellent, was not really anything new and the video package didn't help by proclaiming it as something never before seen on the show. Alfonso and Riker both had similar freestyles. Also having performed a Charleston the same night, and an action packed Jive the week prior, didn't help set the freestyle apart.

I think Lindsey and Mark hands down won the freestyle round. Whether you thought their dancing was better or not, it exhibited what the freestyle is supposed to be about; fun, different, showcasing the contestant. Not sure if Lindsey will win, but I think if she does it will be attributed to Mark's freestyle.

14 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

Too bad they didn't incorporate Hamilton more, I think that would have been better. It's kind of obvious Mark would incorporate Lindsey's talent (violin) into the freestyle so I think that was a missed opportunity.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Venee said:

It pretty much looks like her shows.

Exactly!  That's why I wonder if  Anze Skrube worked on this.  She obviously had lots of training with Skrube.  The being tossed in the air with her violin was done back in 2014 for her tour.  She wasn't new to any of it.  It is interesting that is how they want to play this freestyle. 

I have always loved Lindsay A and her choreography.  But not this season.  It seems to me (my style of dancing is just wiggle and have fun) she was awesome when she had someone not so great and creativity ruled.  I'm sure her freestyle was expert choreography and expertly executed by Jordan but I missed the absolute fun I've seen her do before.  (I don't even remember who but her freestyle with that moving walkway still blows me away with fun factor)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bosstonz16 said:

Also, am I weird for not being wowed by Stirling's freestyle? I felt like she actually didn't dance much compared to some of the others and that Mark's flair for a performance was showcased more than her actual dance ability. Of course YMMV.  But if people say Jordan put on a Broadway number because it's his wheelhouse (true), wouldn't the same be said for Lindsey doing a theatrical violin piece like she has in music videos?  

Then I'm weird too (and I already knew that).  I don't know, it just didn't wow me.  All I remember is her doing a high side-kick over and over while playing the violin.  

I'm also weird because I think I'm the only one in PTV forum-land who likes Alfonso.  I know, I know.  

Frankie's didn't wow me either.  And I'm rooting for him.  

I WILL agree with everyone that thank jeebs there were no contemporaries.  If Victoria stayed in, you KNOW that would be been her thing.  That way she can cup her hands over her mouth at the end and go running into the audience with a "I'm so inspirational because last year I couldn't walk!  Did everyone see my legs move?"  Gah, she's gone and still getting on my nerves.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, bealled said:

Too bad they didn't incorporate Hamilton more, I think that would have been better. It's kind of obvious Mark would incorporate Lindsey's talent (violin) into the freestyle so I think that was a missed opportunity.

I think incorporating Hamilton is tough. As big as Hamilton is, most people haven't seen it. It's not a movie or a music video or something people can easily watch online. (I mean it is if you know where to look but who except huge fans would take the time to go looking?) So if you throw in a few steps from Hamilton, will most people get it? Probably not. So how do you make it work? Do you use a song from Hamilton? Wear costumes? At what point are you just doing a number from Hamilton? I don't think it's all that easy and it's not like Jordan is so closely tied to Hamilton that you can't not reference it.

18 minutes ago, bealled said:

I think Lindsey and Mark hands down won the freestyle round. Whether you thought their dancing was better or not, it exhibited what the freestyle is supposed to be about; fun, different, showcasing the contestant. Not sure if Lindsey will win, but I think if she does it will be attributed to Mark's freestyle.

I agree with this. Freestyle is about the audience experience. There is way more than just the actual dancing involved. Mark and Lindsey picked the most dynamic song. The song wasn't butchered by the band. Their costumes were interesting. The Freestyle had a story that was easily recognizable and threaded throughout the dance. There were memorable moments that stick with you like Mark playing her like a cello or Lindsey first being revealed with her violin. There was a sense of fun and a sense of drama. It felt like a dance that only Lindsey could do. I know that Jordan outdanced Lindsey (and I'm cheering for him to win) but I think her freestyle was more successful as an event.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I WILL agree with everyone that thank jeebs there were no contemporaries.  If Victoria stayed in, you KNOW that would be been her thing.  That way she can cup her hands over her mouth at the end and go running into the audience with a "I'm so inspirational because last year I couldn't walk!  Did everyone see my legs move?"  Gah, she's gone and still getting on my nerves.

I agree. I would have taken a pass if we had to hear her story again. It was totally refreshing to get a break from a Val contemporary again as well. This final was better than the past few seasons. Now if they would only send Julianne packing, it would have been perfect!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well that's probably because he kept dropping them during the final run through, which likely rattled him a bit. 

While I obviously get why the contestants will talk about the parts of the rehearsal they struggled with, at the same time, every time they do, I always find myself nervously watching their dance after the video package and thinking, "C'mon, c'mon, don't drop that/don't miss that step/etc." as a result :p. I sometimes wonder if it's wise to show those "I'm so nervous about getting this right" moments right before their dances, too, 'cause I imagine that'll be weighing on their minds afterwards as a result

39 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Just rewatched some parts of the show that I missed watching it 'live' and noticed when Jordan/Lindsay and Lindsey/Mark were declared safe, Drew immediately reached over to give Witney's shoulder a squeeze... class act.

I noticed that, too. That was a nice gesture indeed :). I like those little moments of support. 

Add me to the list of people who'll be fine with whomever wins tonight. I've enjoyed dances from all three remaining contestants, they're all likeable people, and they've worked hard, so I'll cheer no matter what happens. I do agree that it'll likely come down to Jordan versus Lindsey, but even then, if that's the case, yeah, I think it could be a tight race between them. 

• Love 2
Just now, vibeology said:

I think incorporating Hamilton is tough. As big as Hamilton is, most people haven't seen it. It's not a movie or a music video or something people can easily watch online. (I mean it is if you know where to look but who except huge fans would take the time to go looking?) So if you throw in a few steps from Hamilton, will most people get it? Probably not. So how do you make it work? Do you use a song from Hamilton? Wear costumes? At what point are you just doing a number from Hamilton? I don't think it's all that easy and it's not like Jordan is so closely tied to Hamilton that you can't not reference it.

I agree with this. Freestyle is about the audience experience. There is way more than just the actual dancing involved. Mark and Lindsey picked the most dynamic song. The song wasn't butchered by the band. Their costumes were interesting. The Freestyle had a story that was easily recognizable and threaded throughout the dance. There were memorable moments that stick with you like Mark playing her like a cello or Lindsey first being revealed with her violin. There was a sense of fun and a sense of drama. It felt like a dance that only Lindsey could do. I know that Jordan outdanced Lindsey (and I'm cheering for him to win) but I think her freestyle was more successful as an event.

Just off the top of my head. (I'm a "Hamilton fanatic so probably not the target audience. My daughter goes to Columbia in NYC and has seen it, which is how I got wrapped up in it lol) They could have done a patriotic music through time sequence maybe going from  Aaaron Copeland and ending up with the opening theme to "Hamilton"  even if you don't know anything about Hamilton that opener is extremely catchy and infectious. I think it could have worked. I've seen several Dance groups do some spectacular tap routines to the opener. I guess well never know. My other thought is that maybe they didn't get the rights to do the music, ,but I saw the article referenced above about Hamilton a few weeks ago. It didn't seems like Lin had an issue with it,but I don't know who decides these things.

Just now, Venee said:

Just off the top of my head. (I'm a "Hamilton fanatic so probably not the target audience. My daughter goes to Columbia in NYC and has seen it, which is how I got wrapped up in it lol) They could have done a patriotic music through time sequence maybe going from  Aaaron Copeland and ending up with the opening theme to "Hamilton"  even if you don't know anything about Hamilton that opener is extremely catchy and infectious. I think it could have worked. I've seen several Dance groups do some spectacular tap routines to the opener. I guess well never know. My other thought is that maybe they didn't get the rights to do the music, ,but I saw the article referenced above about Hamilton a few weeks ago. It didn't seems like Lin had an issue with it,but I don't know who decides these things.

Just a guess here but maybe another reason they didn't go that route is because if they are aware of online chatter regarding Jordan and his ringer-ness, maybe the last thing they wanted to do was really drive the point home by reminding people he's been on Broadway, more specifically, one of the most successful shows in recent years. Just saying...

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Just a guess here but maybe another reason they didn't go that route is because if they are aware of online chatter regarding Jordan and his ringer-ness, maybe the last thing they wanted to do was really drive the point home by reminding people he's been on Broadway, more specifically, one of the most successful shows in recent years. Just saying...

Possibly they learned from them constantly reminding people last season about Heather Morris being a ringer (though she didn't even get to the semis, so not as big of a ringer) and Normani's Fifth Harmony success (dancing twice to her own group's song, having her group sing the first song that got them on the X Factor). Which isn't bad, but at the same time, maybe doing something Hamilton-esque could have helped. I know they performed to Jordan's Moana song weeks ago, but Hamilton is definitely the one he's more well-known for. Plus, it really would have made him stand out. I agree that his two dances last night were too similar. I think Lindsay needed the Freestyle to stand out more. Just because it was good, it doesn't mean it's necessarily memorable. That's why Lindsey and Mark's dances have stood out to me more. I remember three of her dances to Jordan's one Salsa. The audiences who are voting are more likely looking for entertaining dances. Not all of them will know the specifics of dance styles. This is an entertainment show before an actual dance competition. The casual viewer is looking for a dance to stand out. I remember that's what I looked for when I watched the dances online. It still has to be good, but there needs to be something else there. 

Not that Jordan needed to bring Lin Manuel-Miranda on or anything, but I do think he was missing something that Lindsey hit better. Of course, this is just my own opinion. I just really preferred Lindsey's dance because it incorporated her own style and what she's known for.

• Love 2