Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The 20's

AmandaPanda
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Did anyone else think Kate's married hookup looked like a poor man's version of Kevin?

If she was going to choose someone who resembled a family member, I'd think it would be a Jack lookalike.

At first, I thought is WAS Kevin and I was like didn't think they'd ever go there. As for Jack, there is just a bit of an Electra compled going on there, but nothing squiggy. 

• Love 2

I get not liking Kevin, but I'm still kind of surprised by how much the character regularly gets screwed in regards to storylines. Randall's practically walking on water, and Kevin's been the odd man out since birth. Tonight's flashback to Kevin at 28 was like watching A Douche Bag Tries to Make it in Hollywood. But given everything, I can see how he got to that point.

I'm just hoping after the current addiction storyline, they can give Kevin something actually good for once.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I couldn't tell if Rebecca was actually mad at Jack because he wasn't there when she told Randall.  If so, that's ridiculous.  They took a vote, and she was the one that insisted Randall still get his way.

I didn't take it at her being mad he wasn't there at all, just expressing sadness, since they probably had it all planned out, how they'd tell Randall/the kids, and not only did she maybe not get to do it how she wanted, but Jack wasn't there, which he probably would've wanted to be. I just took it as a general disappointment at the situation, that he couldn't be there for the big moment.

2 hours ago, wilnil said:

I like the notion that Rebecca reconnected with Miguel years later, but it causes a continuity error: Kevin was, to all appearances, divorced from Sophie by this time, so how was modern-day Sophie, when Kevin reconnects with her, so familiar with Miguel that she called him "Miggy" and teased Kevin about his dislike for Miguel as his mom's husband? Sophie strongly implied that she hadn't had any real contact with Kevin and his family since their split.

I was curious about his status with Sophie here, too, for the exact reason. I was going to ask if there was any direct reference to his relationship status here, since all I remembered was that he moved to LA and they did long distance and he cheated (I think?), so I thought maybe this was before that. But I did a bit of Googling, and it was said they broke up 12 years ago, which would indeed be before this episode took place, so. Definitely a continuity error until otherwise explained. It would obviously make sense that she knew who Miguel was, since she was dating him for ages, but there'd have to be something more given her teasing, I think.

• Love 6

So Miguel slid into Rebecca's DMs before sliding into DMs was a term.  I'm glad he waited for Jack's body to get cold but I also want to hate him so it's a stalemate. 

Mandy Moore as Rebecca is really distracting sometimes because it's hard to disassociate her from the CD in my Jr. High disc man. No matter what she's starring in, she's Mandy Moore.  That being said, I kept thinking "Mandy Moore is really good at being vulnerable.  Mandy Moore is about to make me cry."  She knocked her scenes in the nursery out of the park tonight.

• Love 9

Except for Randall, and I'm reaching my limits even with him this season without William, I find the present-day Big Three a complete snooze. Therefore, I found this episode quite appealing because of the lack of 2017 scenes.. As someone who never hated Miguel, I'm glad to see it confirmed that he didn't jump Rebecca the minute the funeral was over. Kevin and Kate made big mistakes but I somehow understand their self-loathing after Jack's death a bit better. The Halloween with the 10 year olds provided many painful moments that rang true.

Randall did appreciate Mr. Singh's advice and the naming after the type of fan he recommended was, I think, his way of naming the girls after him, if not literally. It parallels the triplets being named for Dr. K.

• Love 10

Rebecca.  The makeup and costuming teams continue to do a really subpar job with her looks as her age changes through various decades.  The scene with 2008-era pregnant Beth was just plain confusing.  She looked like her present-day early-30’s self, but without makeup......

The best part of this episode was the much-needed break from Toby and his jackassery.  His performances last week, sweeping everything off the desk to have sex with Kate and his “We’re pregnant!” dance routine in the restaurant, brought me to my absolute Toby limit.  I think I’ve reached it every week, but each episode pushes me a bit farther.

I've also thought they do a lousy job of "aging" Mandy Moore.  Is it in her contract that she never has to look over 35?  The first time we saw her in the present day, coming to Randall's house, I thought she was a neighbor or a parent from the kids' school.   give her some wrinkles for heavens sake!!  And Toby ... barf!! 

Kevin is in Calif, right?  But he managed to get a plane to Philly and arrive there before Beth got out of the hospital?  And isn't Kate still in Philly?  So how is she in the audience when kevin is performing at the Ice House, a well-known club in Padadena in the 70s, 80s, and beyond?

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 1

I honestly feel pretty bad for Kevin. Not only does his family hardly notice he exists, the writers are constantly sticking him with the lamest plots that make him look terrible. While Randall is practically up for sainthood and Kate is usually the victim of other people being crappy (in her mind at least), while Kevin is stuck with boring acting plots, lame love interests, and being an asshole so his siblings can look better. Hopefully this drug addiction plot will give him something more interesting to do in the 2017 scenes. 

• Love 17

Tess was named after a fan. LOL.

Randall's breakdown could not of been easy to deal with, and it matched perfectly with his need to follow his Halloween map as a young boy, his addiction to perfection

Young Kevin giving his candy to Billy, so he'd hold Kate's hand in the haunted house, very special.

Kate sleeping with the married guy, knowing he was married, showed she didnt think much of herself then .She's changing.

I loved Rebecca with Randall as a new born, then Rebecca with Randall's first child. That was very well done, it touched my heart.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

Kevin is in Calif, right?  But he managed to get a plane to Philly and arrive there before Beth got out of the hospital?  And isn't Kate still in Philly?  So how is she in the audience when kevin is performing at the Ice House, a well-known club in Padadena in the 70s, 80s, and beyond?

The Pearsons lived in Pittsburgh growing up. Randall and Beth live in New Jersey, within commuting distance of NYC. (Mr. Singh is from East Trenton, NJ.) So no one is living in Philly. In 2008, when Tess is born, Kate is waitressing in Pittsburgh, Rebecca probably lives there too, and Kevin is in LA trying to make it as an actor. Beth would be in the hospital at least 24 hours, time for both Kevin and Kate to hop planes and be there. The scenes at the Ice House occur after Kate joins Kevin in LA, as he asks her to do when they talk about her moving on with her life at Randall's house.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not the best episode for me. I was kind of annoyed with all of them in some way. 28 year old Kevin was pretty damn awful. What he did to his friend was ice cold. His own insecurities turn him into a huge ass, but he's never been this big of an ass. I just found it jarring.

However, Kid Kevin buying that kid to hold Kate's hand was sweet in the way that it showed how much he loves his sister. But also, for a 10 year old, he wouldn't see how this would be wrong and how it might hurt Kate's feelings if she found out, so that's why I'm alright with it. 

Kate sleeping with the married guy while suspecting that he's married didn't reflect well on her. 

Really, they did a number on Kevin's character. Is he so self-centered and sociopathic that he'd undermine a friend and fellow actor so callously?

As for Kate, can one interpret her action of sleeping with a man she already suspected was married as that of a woman desperate enough to have sex with someone, anyone, who found her sufficiently attractive? I feel uneasy about where the writers are going with her this season.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

As for Kate, can one interpret her action of sleeping with a man she already suspected was married as that of a woman desperate enough to have sex with someone, anyone, who found her sufficiently attractive? I feel uneasy about where the writers are going with her this season.

She said it like she wasn't feeling anything, or nothing was happening for her and she forced it. That guy was probably so happy the call from Rebecca came when it did. lol She was starting a monologue. I wonder if any of them got help after such a huge trauma? Losing a loving dad and your home is something that would shake you to the core. And why such a Kevin look-a-like?

I thought Kevin paying his friend was cute but already it sets up the "you aren't good enough" at 10 and something for the mean 10 year old one day to throw back in her face. It reminds me of back in the 60's, how some parents paid for someone to take their daughter to the prom or something like that, they even had it on TV plots and of course the angst and anger when someone found out and if it was a schmaltzy sitcom, the guy trying to tell her he really likes her now though, no money involved! It breaks your heart to see your child hurt but it's not always a good idea to manufacture empathy or kindness.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Man, less than a minute into the episode and I was already yelling STFU, JACK! No, you don't get to waltz in after work and tell your daughter that she can change her costume at the last minute with a breezy, "Mom can handle that, right?" Unless your ass is going to stay up all night making that new costume, kindly shut the fuck up, Jack. And that's even before you get into the debate about Jack never saying no to Kate.

Flashback Randall can STFU too. If you want to be the house giving out full sized candy bars on Halloween, then YOU should go to the store and buy those full sized candy bars instead of complaining to your nine months pregnant wife.

Heh, I love little organized Randall, mapping out which houses give out the best candy. I'm all for maximizing your candy time. Don't waste time at the houses that give out pennies and Smarties.

7 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Before she was shown in the audience during Kevin's performance, we saw her arriving at Kevin's place with her suitcase.

10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Did Kate say she had classes? She was 27 or 28 in the flashback. Was she in grad school, or did it just take her a very long time to finish college? And then she dropped whatever degree she was pursuing when she moved to LA? There must be a story there.

She said she was taking a night class.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 22
7 hours ago, jmonique said:

I get not liking Kevin, but I'm still kind of surprised by how much the character regularly gets screwed in regards to storylines. Randall's practically walking on water, and Kevin's been the odd man out since birth. Tonight's flashback to Kevin at 28 was like watching A Douche Bag Tries to Make it in Hollywood. But given everything, I can see how he got to that point.

At least 10 year old Kevin kind of got his way about going to the haunted house.  ut, only because Kate agreed with him and Jack was reasonably trying to be democratic about the whole thing.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, debraran said:

Loved t he "prettiest baby named after a fan" line and how we got another clue with the fire. Kevin said you can't sit out there waiting for him, I wonder if he went back in and they were in the car?

I'm betting Kate pleads with Jack to go back in to save the dog.  And he never comes out.  :(

9 hours ago, betha said:

But naming Tess after a fan, really!?

But Tessana is a pretty name.  Good thing he didn't buy a Hampton Bay.

9 hours ago, Runningwild said:

Not a big fan of this episode.

No pun intended?

A lot of posters are saying that Randall is always portrayed as a saint while Kevin is an asshole.  I think this episode did a lot to knock the halo off of Randall.  His behavior was generally manic and quite passive aggressive with Beth.  The writing for him this season is really showing that his perfectionism (and rigidity) make him difficult to deal with.  Poor Beth, having to be the Randall whisperer while in labor.  Chill out, man!

Not cool, Kev, not cool.

I loved the juxtaposing of Rebecca introducing herself to the babies.  So sweet.

I had no idea the Bale/Spacey line was changed.  smh

8 hours ago, elle said:

Our group always had one parent, not hovering, but near by that kept us in sight; did the same when I got to be the parent.

My kids are a bit younger than the Big 3 but in their day it was the dads who went trick or treating with the kids while the moms stayed home to give out candy.  Mr Haleth and the other dad with him would be sure to stop at friends' houses where they could get a beer.  Everyone was happy.  

• Love 7

Who was handing out candy at the Pearson's?  Randall's battle plan reminded me of Kevin's in Home Alone.  And that is pretty much all I have to say about this episode which I really did not care for.  I don't want to dislike characters so much or I have to stop watching.  I only liked Rebecca and Beth here; the Big 3 are getting to be not my cup of tea. 

• Love 2

Ugh, this show. Such angst and melodrama ALL.THE.TIME. And the speechifying! If I knew anyone who speechified like this in real life...well, there is no way I'd be their friend.

That poor hardware store guy totally earned having a baby named after him, but nope. Of course, I can't actually remember what his name WAS.

I never hated Miguel, never got why he was so reviled, so the FB thing didn't change how I felt about him, but I actually did find that pretty poignant. They'd all been so important to each other at one time...Miguel and his wife, Jack and Rebecca...but 8 years after Jack's death, they'd completely lost touch until Rebecca logged into FB. It's what happens, but it's sad. I guess we still dont' know the whole story or that there wasn't SOMETHING between Rebecca and Miguel before they lost touch and he moved to Houston, but I'm  hoping that didn't happen. And shallowly, I just wish Miguel were cuter, more attractive. That's my only real problem with him, and I'm properly ashamed of it.

Kevin and Kate were both pretty awful this episode. Losing your dad doesn't give you a free pass to be douchebags. I didn't suss out the guy being married--I thought the looks his friends were giving him and his wanting to leave the bar immediately were more about Kate's size than his marital state (which, either way, not a nice guy). I did like Kate's bangs tho.

Grownup Russell was pretty insufferable last nite, but MIcheal Jackson Russell was freaking adorable.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

Oh, just a little thing. I'm only a few years older than the triplets, and found it odd that at 10 years old they were trick or treating with their parents.  We just went with groups of kids from the neighborhood.  If you were over 7 and had a parent with you, you'd be ostracized, LOL.

It might be a neighborhood thing - less safe or higher traffic areas - we did TOT alone at that age but we were not allowed to go more than two blocks down the street alone (up the street was fine just not down) because down there the road connected to a major four lane road.  That said though the Pearson's neighborhood didn't look all that trafficky or unsafe that they needed to be watched the whole night.

9 hours ago, Dejana said:

My theory is that in S1, the writers had it in mind that Miguel and Rebecca got together shortly after Jack's death, without anticipating the Miguel backlash. So now to make the situation seem more palatable to the contingent that resents Miguel (not that everyone does!), for S2 they've decided to push back the timeline of their courtship.

Could it be both?  Maybe they got together shortly after Jack's death but found it was too soon, everything was weird, the families didn't like it so they drifted apart and this facebook connection starts the second hook up that leads to them marrying with enough time passing that it's more acceptable even if the kids still don't quite like it.  Remember Jack died in 1997 (we believe) and Miguel said in his message it had been 8 years since they spoke, that leaves us with at least 3 years not accounted for.

Best character of the night.....................Garuda.  Loved his line (not an exact quote I can't remember exactly)  "I almost had a baby named after me". his why are you telling me this when Randell went on his tangent, his remark about living in West Trenton; followed by giving Randell some advice after all.  And his face when Randell ran past him yelling It's Happening.  I  hope Randell came back to the store to thank him or show him Tess or something; I'd like to see him again.

That scene also showed Randell just has a history of  oversharing and telling just about anyone long personal stories, sort of explains why he had no filter when he made those two speeches to Deja.  Makes me wonder how he controlled himself at work and didn't pull that on co-workers or bosses because I imagine if he did that regularly he would have gotten a talking to from HR and maybe been fired long ago.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 8

I didn't really enjoy this episode. It wasn't awful, but it felt like mostly filler.  Not enough Jack and no present day Pearsons.  Not to mention Kate and Kevin were both awful in their 2008 incarnations.  Sleeping with a man you strongly suspect is married, having those bangs - do better, Kate.  And Kevin letting his desperation do that to him.  It was sweet that 10 year old Kevin gave away his candy to get Kate what she wanted - acceptance.  It they are setting up another Jack/Kevin parallel. Neither of them can see Kate disappointed.  So we've had Miguel say how alike Kevin and Jack are, we've seen they both struggle with addiction, etc.

Young Randall was so over the top.  

8 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

First, the long, meaningful speeches have got to go, or should at least be scaled back.  I’m capable of understanding that the characters are feeling and expressing strong emotions without being forced to listen to a breathy soliloquy, usually delivered by a well-meaning Rebecca.

4 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I can't wait to meet her and and introduce myself as the auntie who will always love her, keep her safe and of course, spoil her rotten.

Ah, that would have been so much better.  If we had only seen Rebecca saying a soft hello to baby Randall and, "I'm your mommy," fading to," Hello, I'm your  grandma," to baby Tess and a promise to love her, protect her and spoil her rotten.  Then I probably would have cried over the full circle of love we all know comes with grandchildren. The show keeps spelling everything out for us as though we might not get it without graphs and pointers.  Plus the monologues are just boring and my mind wanders and I start focusing on Mandy Moore's underbite instead of listening.

Kate is still the most interesting story to me.  I think the sex with a  (suspected)  married man was to show just how desperately lonely she was and her need to prove to herself that she's desirable.  Kevin's mention of "eating fast food in your car while watching the house," also explained the big weight gain since high school.

• Love 17
42 minutes ago, deaja said:

they are setting up another Jack/Kevin parallel. Neither of them can see Kate disappointed.  So we've had Miguel say how alike Kevin and Jack are, we've seen they both struggle with addiction, etc.

2008 Kate and Kevin, in Beth and Randall's kitchen: Justin Hartley-as-Kevin says to Kate, "Do you know what he would have wanted for you?" -- takes a beat, tilts his head and answers his own question, with emphasis -- "Everything."  As written and acted, pure Milo Vertimiglia-as-Jack.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heh, I love little organized Randall, mapping out which houses give out the best candy. I'm all for maximizing your candy time. Don't waste time at the houses that give out pennies and Smarties.

We don't stoop to the level of pennies and Smarties, but we have to get stuff that I don't like or else I will eat most of it before Halloween (and, of course, eat all that's left after). So last night we gave out snack bags of cheddar Goldfish crackers.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Paloma said:

We don't stoop to the level of pennies and Smarties, but we have to get stuff that I don't like or else I will eat most of it before Halloween (and, of course, eat all that's left after). So last night we gave out snack bags of cheddar Goldfish crackers.

I had cheetos one year in with the other candy and was shocked that the cheetos were the first to go.   Kids were stoked!  And I don't give out full size bars but it is the good chocolate and I let kids take two or three so there were options.

Full confession.  I like fun sized halloween candy because instead of getting a snickers bar you can get a little snickers and a little kit kat or whatever.   

• Love 5

Wait, so first, Randall and Beth's house is only a three bedroom place and now they don't have AC?  In what seems like a newish home in a pricy area?  It may be NJ, but goodness, summers there can be HOTTTTTTT!!!

As for full-sized candy:  Sorry, like @bybrandy, I like them "fun sized."  Growing up, it was the only time I was able to eat the entire thing at one time.  Also, I don't know about the US, but I've noticed in Canada, anyway, Halloween/fun-sized candies have shrunk since *I* was a trick-or-treater.  

ETA: I guess Miguel and Rebecca were FB friends, but not really talking to each other/liking each others' posts until Tess was born.  But were people their age REALLY on FB back then?  Wasn't it mostly an under 35 thing in 2008?

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Miguel/Rebecca reconnected ten/eleven years after Jack's death? I guess it's somewhat of a retcon but we also never got verbal confirmation when they married, so they still could play around with the timeline. 

I don’t think there’s been any retconning of the Miguel/Rebecca story.   All we know is that Kevin and Kate are hostile to him and Randall is lukewarm/trying to be kind to him.  They wouldn’t be the first or last children, even adult children, to be hostile to a parent’s new mate no matter how much time hasn’t passed.  

For Kate, no one could replace her dad plus it gives her another thing to be angry with Rebecca for.  For Kevin, it speaks to his inability to talk about, grieve and move on from Jack’s death.  For Randall, we see that he may be more understanding because of his bond with his mom, that he may see more of how she feels, how she’s doing, and that he doesn’t want her to be lonely anymore.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Facebook is the root of all evil. ;) That's how Miguel hooks up with Rebecca.....

Funny, when that came on, I thought the haters wouldn't have anything to hate Miguel for - but I underestimated the layers of hate. LOL. 

11 hours ago, betha said:

But naming Tess after a fan, really!?

Eh, my father-in-law was named after a road - and we carried that on (as a middle name) with one of our kids. 

11 hours ago, wilnil said:

I like the notion that Rebecca reconnected with Miguel years later, but it causes a continuity error: Kevin was, to all appearances, divorced from Sophie by this time, so how was modern-day Sophie, when Kevin reconnects with her, so familiar with Miguel that she called him "Miggy" and teased Kevin about his dislike for Miguel as his mom's husband? Sophie strongly implied that she hadn't had any real contact with Kevin and his family since their split.

I, personally, don't see a continuity error here. Sophie grew up and was likely present at family events (initially as Kate's friend and the Kevin's girl) and Miguel, being Jack's best friend would likely have been there often as well. And of course, he would have been there to help out after Jack's death (whether or not there was anything going with Mandy). 

9 hours ago, Cardie said:

It's possible the Larsens had told him previously, or hinted about it, and that would explain his insistence on avoiding their house at all costs.

He crossed off their house on the map with the annotation "licorice!" - which repeated to Rebecca. I'm down with that - I hate licorice.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, less than a minute into the episode and I was already yelling STFU, JACK! No, you don't get to waltz in after work and tell your daughter that she can change her costume at the last minute with a breezy, "Mom can handle that, right?" Unless your ass is going to stay up all night making that new costume, kindly shut the fuck up, Jack. And that's even before you get into the debate about Jack never saying no to Kate.

Me too. I made all the costumes for my kids, and if they wanted something else at the last minute - they would have had to get it together themselves. 

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

Best line of the night: "What's Cher without Sonny?"

At that time? A hugely successful solo artist. ;)

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

ETA: I guess Miguel and Rebecca were FB friends, but not really talking to each other/liking each others' posts until Tess was born.  But were people their age REALLY on FB back then?  Wasn't it mostly an under 35 thing in 2008?

I was over 35 in 2008 and I was on FB (since 2007), as were most of my friends. So how old was Rebecca supposed to be in 2007? And she only got on FB after Tessa was born, so I think that message from Miguel was the first communication they had.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 6

I wanted to hear more too. I did think it was odd to hear Kevin speak so openly about Jack's death when just last week they made a huge deal about how he never talks about it. 

But Kevin was only talking about it in reference to Kate, not to himself. 

I didn't like the "all-knowing" Hardware store manager "from the East," giving Randall the meaning of life. I'm sure Mr. Garuda did prefer being treated like a sage instead of a terrorist (by some ignorant customers) but it was all so heavy-handed and such a cliche. At least he had a sense of humor about it.

It must be tough when there are three children and only two parents.Jack had his favorite and Rebecca hers, and poor Keven was nobody's favorite. I think that 20's Kevin must have been pretty desperate for an acting job after a year of no auditions to try to steal his roommate's job. But that was definitely a low point.  

This show does manage to hit all of the cliches..baby born at home, random wise man delivering wisdom, popular boy being bribed to hold hands with overweight girl, but they do manage to do it in an entertaining way so I am still a fan (get it?)

I thought Diner Guy was embarrassed to see Kate at the bar with his friends because of her weight...I was almost relieved that he was merely married. 

One thing that confused me..Tessa was born on Halloween, right? The whole episode took place on two different Halloweens. I think they even said that the road was closed for trick or treaters, which is why the ambulance couldn't get through (worst excuse ever!) So why was Beth wearing a summer sundress? it was lovely, but not at all appropriate for the time of year in New Jersey. Yes, I was hot throughout both my pregnancies, especially the one in August, but I still wore seasonal clothing.  

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I was over 35 in 2008 and I was on FB (since 2007), as were most of my friends. So how old was Rebecca supposed to be in 2007? And she only got on FB after Tessa was born, so I think that message from Miguel was the first communication they had.

Rebecca would be in her 50s somewhere, I suppose.  How did Miguel even find her if she had only been on FB for a few days at that point (I got FB in 2004, when it was STILL limited to students.  I was in graduate school at the time and the University of Toronto had JUST been added to the schools list). 

• Love 1

I agree with those observations of things being TOO much.  Plus, there are consistent things that I just CAN'T buy into.  One of the most BIZARRE things that I can't buy is how Jack went WAY overboard after Kate told him how the little boy held her hand.  Wouldn't a "That's nice. I'm glad you had fun. Now, let's find your brother and go home."  But, no, Jack has to give her this over the top WORSHIP speech.  It's so unauthentic to me and CREEPY.  Instead of endearing me, it's offending me. 

I also didn't buy the speech that Rebecca gave Randall in the hospital and the one she gave Tess when she was born.  Oh, and the super fast labor and delivery with a first time mom? And the OVER SHARING of information by Randall with the Home Depot clerk?   Please. Are the writers now trying to convince us that Randall is very mentally disturbed?

I didn't care one way or the other about Kevin and Kate's twenty something year stories. So, Kevin had not been a big star for that long when he threw it all away and moved to NY.  He's not a very grateful person, imo. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Omg, what’s wrong with Smarties! I love them.

Canadian Smarties or American Smarties (Rockets)?  Because Canadian Smarties (like M&Ms) are GREAT, but Rockets?  YUCK!  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Rebecca would be in her 50s somewhere, I suppose.  How did Miguel even find her if she had only been on FB for a few days at that point (I got FB in 2004, when it was STILL limited to students.  I was in graduate school at the time and the University of Toronto had JUST been added to the schools list). 

He'd probably tried to FB stalk her since he got an account, and finally, there she was!

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Bama said:

And again, I'm going against the grain, but I totally didn't get the vibe that Kevin intended to try and steal his friend's role.  The conversation started with Kevin - awkwardly - trying to get some insight into why a part written for "A Kevin" went to "A Zeke".  Kevin is struggling and that's something he's never had to deal with.  He's trying to ask the director about more than just why he cast against his "type" - he's trying to ask if he can't even get roles that seem written for him then what's the point.  And then it just spirals into a cringey mess and he went low.  His desperation for validation became a dirty backstab and he knew it but just couldn't stop the words from tumbling out of his face.  And we could see it on his face that he knew he did something unforgivable.  I don't know, maybe I have a soft spot for the "middle child" type but that scene seemed so much more than just "Kevin is a huge dick" to me.

I don't think he intended to steal his friend's role when he started talking to the guy, but he absolutely went that direction, as he did end up outright stating that he wanted to read for the role that was already given to his friend. I am a Kevin fan, so I can understand and sympathize with his actions. However, I also see that this was one of Kevin's worst moments on the show. This was wrong of him, period. He can make a mistake, be remorseful, and still be a giant dick at the same time, which is where I am with Kevin for this time period. I like 2017 Kevin. 2008 Kevin, however? I would have probably been annoyed at him. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, dcubed said:

For Randall, we see that he may be more understanding because of his bond with his mom, that he may see more of how she feels, how she’s doing, and that he doesn’t want her to be lonely anymore.

And all you said before. Randall is also a parent and a husband, with that insight into Rebecca's perspective. Beginning in 2008, when Miguel and Rebecca found each other again, Randall and family have lived nearby. Rebecca and Miguel have been available to share all holidays as well as minor family occasions such as birthdays and school events; Rebecca could easily come visiting (with or without Miguel) to see her grandchildren and favorite child. For family man Randall, his mother's second marriage would come to feel more like a given than it does to his siblings on the West Coast. Unmapped and improvised though that marriage may be, and no full bar of candy.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, PRgal said:

How did Miguel even find her if she had only been on FB for a few days at that point

She probably added a couple of mutual friends and he got her as a suggestion.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Ah, that would have been so much better.  If we had only seen Rebecca saying a soft hello to baby Randall and, "I'm your mommy," fading to," Hello, I'm your  grandma," to baby Tess and a promise to love her, protect her and spoil her rotten.  Then I probably would have cried over the full circle of love we all know comes with grandchildren. The show keeps spelling everything out for us as though we might not get it without graphs and pointers.  Plus the monologues are just boring and my mind wanders and I start focusing on Mandy Moore's underbite instead of listening.

That would have been perfect!  That might have created a two-Kleenex night for me.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

At that time? A hugely successful solo artist. ;)

Which is why the line was so silly, being uttered in 1990 (?). The costumes were a strange choice for that point in time, but maybe Rebecca was feeling nostalgic.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, wilnil said:

Maybe she knew him from being young kids together.  Kevin has liked Sophie since grade school, I think.  It's possible that Sophie also knew Miguel's family from then?  Just a guess.

• Love 4

Man, young Kevin's line delivery of I can get always get more candy dad. It's easy. Was so pitch perfect Kevin I would have thought that line was ADR by our adult Kevin. 

My God Randall needed some sort of counseling from the jump.

• Love 15

My parent's never dressed up in costumes when they took us Trick-or-Treating.  With working jobs, getting costumes, transporting us,.......they didn't have a couple of hours to dress up themselves.  Maybe, it's traditional in their community.  The other parents weren't in costume, though, right?  I guess Rebecca and Jack were just too cool! 

• Love 6