Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The 20's

AmandaPanda
  • Start Topic

Tuesday night ramblings, fueled by lack of sleep and WAY too much Halloween candy.

So the news was the "Dude I booked the Kevin Spacey movie" line was edited.  Not sure who they used in the USA, but in Canada, the character did still say "Kevin Spacey" but the closed captioning had Christian Bale.  

Not sure if I liked this episode much.  They made it clear that Randall has had breakdowns as an adult, (and young Randall learning about Kyle was so sad) but Kevin's struggles as an actor had a "been there done that" vibe that you see on too many shows.

Mandy did look STUNNING in the Cher outfit.    

A few new clues tonight: Rebecca was a widow for about 10 years before Miguel back into her life and Jack may have died in the house after all. 

• Love 18

While all the child and teen actors on this show are great Lonnie Chavis is really phenomenal.  I don't know how it's possible for someone so young to make me feel as much as I do but he does.

Not sure who they used in the USA, but in Canada, the character did still say "Kevin Spacey" but the closed captioning had Christian Bale.  

The line was Christian Bale here in the US.

• Love 10

Okay, while I still don't like Miguel, I am relieved that 8 years passed between Jack's death and when he and Rebecca got together. At least they didn't rush into a relationship, so no more judging on that part.

Jack and Rebecca totally rocked Sonny and Cher! Jack doing the moonwalk was priceless.

Kevin worked in a salon? Well, I wouldn't hate getting my hair done by him, heh. But he totally deserved to get reamed for trying to steal his roommate's part. That was low.

Too bad Kate didn't realize the guy was married before she slept with him.

• Love 21

Aw, Rebecca needed it that though, Miguel on FB . Everyone is busy but her. I like how she deleted happy and put good, she wanted to be honest.

Loved t he "prettiest baby named after a fan" line and how we got another clue with the fire. Kevin said you can't sit out there waiting for him, I wonder if he went back in and they were in the car?

Very sad episode in many ways, funny, but sad. Seeing Kate have Kevin buy her a boyfriend for a few minutes, Kate being used later, Kate sad, Kevin sad, Randall sad but then happy so it ended on a good note.

I only teared up when Rebecca missed Jack.  I remembered how much I wanted my Dad when I was happy with my kids and I couldn't share.

4 minutes ago, TGinKY said:

What was Randall reading when he was picking up the broken glass?

The pamphlet for the fan the store manager gave him. It had Tessa something on it, that is how he got his daughter's name.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 9

Major tearjerker! And that was even before Jesus, etc., which is a particular tear trigger for me. I love how this show shows that life is all connected... our past is our future is our present, all at the same time. 

But naming Tess after a fan, really!?

Edited by betha
  • Love 5

Oh, just a little thing. I'm only a few years older than the triplets, and found it odd that at 10 years old they were trick or treating with their parents.  We just went with groups of kids from the neighborhood.  If you were over 7 and had a parent with you, you'd be ostracized, LOL.

• Love 14

Not a big fan of this episode. I am relieved that Rebecca and Miguel didn’t get together right after Jack died. And it was sad that Rebecca was missing him so when their granddaughter was born. But I am tired of the character’s making long speeches. 

Im glad they changed the Kevin Spacey line. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, while I still don't like Miguel, I am relieved that 8 years passed between Jack's death and when he and Rebecca got together. At least they didn't rush into a relationship, so no more judging on that part.

Jack and Rebecca totally rocked Sonny and Cher! Jack doing the moonwalk was priceless.

Kevin worked in a salon? Well, I wouldn't hate getting my hair done by him, heh. But he totally deserved to get reamed for trying to steal his roommate's part. That was low.

Too bad Kate didn't realize the guy was married before she slept with him.

I think Kate said she suspected, though.

I like the notion that Rebecca reconnected with Miguel years later, but it causes a continuity error: Kevin was, to all appearances, divorced from Sophie by this time, so how was modern-day Sophie, when Kevin reconnects with her, so familiar with Miguel that she called him "Miggy" and teased Kevin about his dislike for Miguel as his mom's husband? Sophie strongly implied that she hadn't had any real contact with Kevin and his family since their split.

• Love 21

Hmmm, so Rebecca and Miguel lost touch and didn't get together for many years after Jack's death. I wonder why the kids seem to resent him so much, then? 

Oh, dear, they had to dub over a line about Kevin Spacey? Well, at least they managed it! US viewer, I definitely heard "Christian Bale".

Can anyone on television have a routine birth? I suppose people have had babies at home for thousands of years, but still... Of course, Beth had to dramatically go into labor and not have time for the hospital!

The cuts between Rebecca talking to baby Randall and Randall's daughter showed that they are trying with the aging makeup on her, at least.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
Just now, wilnil said:

I think Kate said she suspected, though.

Obviously.  She accused him when he was getting up to leave.  She did not receive new information from the time they got into bed until when they got out of it. Unless he cried out in his lseep that he was married, which I highly doubt.

1 minute ago, wilnil said:

so how was modern-day Sophie, when Kevin reconnects with her, so familiar with Miguel that she called him "Miggy" and teased Kevin about his dislike for Miguel as his mom's husband? Sophie strongly implied that she hadn't had any real contact with Kevin and his family since their split.

I can't remember that scene exactly, but maybe Kevin has always disliked Miguel, from when he was a teenager, and that was what she was referring to.  Although it does seem odd that a teenager would call a non-related, non-close friend, Miggy.  

• Love 1

ok episode, kevin annoyed em as usual, also here in canada they still have the kevin spacey line but it said in cc christan bale, talk about disturbing in hindsight!

the fan part and talking to the guy about his problems was weird

• Love 2

Kevin tried to steal his friend's role and his line to his sister that they now have proof "Randall's had sex at least once in his life"?  I wonder if Randall ever found out  that was Kevin's reaction to gaining a niece. Ugh.  (Yeah, I get he thought he was being funny, but it's SO not). I guess that was his jealous cut to the brother he feels inferior to because he's jealous that Randall has a happy, stable marriage and a great house.

• Love 10

Randall annoys me more and more every episode. Kid Randall is annoying too.

The ending of the episode made me cry tho. With Rebecca and then Kevin and Kate. 

I also now don’t hate Miguel. I’m glad they didn’t just rush into a relationship right after Jack died and that Rebecca really did miss him. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I know, but I think it was to show that, although they had names picked out, it doesn't always work out that way.  Kind of like "Kyle".

Did the fan pamphlet say "Tessanna"?  I thought I saw that.  Didn't they name their second child Annie?  Maybe both daughters were named after the same fan.

I could be wrong, but didn't she delete "I'm hanging in" and put "I'm good"?  If so, I thought it was a major step for her to admit to herself that she finally was good instead of just "hanging in". 

I'll have to watch it again, no glasses, maybe it was that and I just saw the ha.   I missed some dialogue at the end, I think I'll just watch the last scene. I want to hear Kevin talk about Jack and Kate sitting in the car watching where the house was. So sad.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dejana said:

My theory is that in S1, the writers had it in mind that Miguel and Rebecca got together shortly after Jack's death, without anticipating the Miguel backlash. So now to make the situation see more palatable to the contingent that represents Miguel (not that everyone does!), for S2, they've decided to revise the timeline of their courtship.

Did he say he was in Houston in the FB post? It seemed like he moved or went away and maybe he comes back later?

• Love 4

As soon as Rebecca mentioned FB as a way to "connect" I knew that that's how she would end up with Miguel. 

14 minutes ago, debraran said:

I like how she deleted happy and put good, she wanted to be honest.

She first typed "hanging in there" and then changed it to "doing well." Maybe that was the moment, 10+ years after Jack's death, when she realized that she was ready to move on?

I thought it was OOC for Kevin to be such an asshole as to try to screw his friend out of a role. Until now he'd been portrayed as a bit self-involved but not malicious.

When Kate's crush suggested they get out of the bar, I thought he didn't want to be seen with her because she's overweight, not that he would turn out to be married. Did Kate say she had classes? She was 27 or 28 in the flashback. Was she in grad school, or did it just take her a very long time to finish college? And then she dropped whatever degree she was pursuing when she moved to LA? There must be a story there.

Baby Tess is the cutest.

• Love 13

Hmmm, so Rebecca and Miguel lost touch and didn't get together for many years after Jack's death. I wonder why the kids seem to resent him so much, then?

I wonder... in the Facebook message Miguel asked how she had been doing the past 8 years. But we calculate that Jack had died about 10 years before. Possible Rebecca tried to move on too quickly with Miguel right after Jack's death and did date him for a year or so while Kevin was with Sophie? Then she realized she wasn't ready and he moved to Houston. That would explain the continuity error with Sophie and the resentment.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Dejana said:

My theory is that in S1, the writers had it in mind that Miguel and Rebecca got together shortly after Jack's death, without anticipating the Miguel backlash. So now to make the situation see more palatable to the contingent that represents Miguel (not that everyone does!), for S2, they've decided to revise the timeline of their courtship.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too.

• Love 4

Here’s what I think happened; Maybe Miguel made the first move on rebecca and/or was always around after Jack passed and the kids got a vibe and Rebecca was never into it but the kids noticed and then maybe Miguel moved away or something for a change- I predict an episode where Miguel moves and talks about needing a change or something. 

• Love 10

I want to hear Kevin talk about Jack and Kate sitting in the car watching where the house was. So sad.

Yes agree. I wanted to hear more too. I did think it was odd to hear Kevin speak so openly about Jack's death when just last week they made a huge deal about how he never talks about it. 

I thought it was OOC for Kevin to be such an asshole as to try to screw his friend out of a role. Until now he'd been portrayed as a bit self-involved but not malicious.

Also agree with this. Come to think of it, Kevin's characterization has been all over the place lately. I did think they meant to show that extreme circumstances had him acting out of character and that he was mad at himself for doing it though.

Here’s what I think happened; Maybe Miguel made the first move on rebecca and/or was always around after Jack passed and the kids got a vibe and Rebecca was never into it but the kids noticed and then maybe Miguel moved away or something for a change- I predict an episode where Miguel moves and talks about needing a change or something

Yeah I like this theory better than my one above that maybe they dated for a year. I bet you're right- he was in love with her (because he'd always had a thing for her) and was hanging around too much and the kids didn't like it. 

Edited by betha
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

When Kate's crush suggested they get out of the bar, I thought he didn't want to be seen with her because she's overweight, not that he would turn out to be married. Did Kate say she had classes? She was 27 or 28 in the flashback. Was she in grad school, or did it just take her a very long time to finish college? And then she dropped whatever degree she was pursuing when she moved to LA? There must be a story there.

She said she was going to night school.  She may not have started right away.  Or she could only afford to take a couple of classes at a time.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Oh, just a little thing. I'm only a few years older than the triplets, and found it odd that at 10 years old they were trick or treating with their parents.  We just went with groups of kids from the neighborhood.  If you were over 7 and had a parent with you, you'd be ostracized, LOL.

I was freaking a bit that Jack let Kevin go trick or treating by himself.  "Just the houses I can see", better night eyesight than me!  Our group always had one parent, not hovering, but near by that kept us in sight; did the same when I got to be the parent.

Are we to understand that Randall's anxiety that night was learning about Kyle which in turn expressed itself in becoming hyper-rigid?

• Love 6
Just now, elle said:

Are we to understand that Randall's anxiety that night was learning about Kyle which in turn expressed itself in becoming hyper-rigid?

I thought he found out about it while trick or treating and he was clearly hyper-rigid before that point, so I don't think so.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, betha said:

Also agree with this. Come to think of it, Kevin's characterization has been all over the place lately. I did think they meant to show that extreme circumstances had him acting out of character and that he was mad at himself for doing it though.

I cringed when I saw where he was going in that conversation, but to his (small) credit, he looks filled with self-loathing the whole time.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Can anyone on television have a routine birth? I suppose people have had babies at home for thousands of years, but still... Of course, Beth had to dramatically go into labor and not have time for the hospital!

Yeah, that was such a classic cliche. 

It felt like Kid Randall's issue with being rigid got sidestepped once he said he knew the truth about Kyle.  That explains why he didn't want to to go the Larsen's house, but the rigidity clearly followed him into adulthood.

What was the point of Kevin's plot?  It would have made more sense to show how he got involved in The Manny rather than the meandering mess we got.  But Kevin definitely deserved that verbal beatdown from Brett, along with the note from his (former) roommate.

3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

When Kate's crush suggested they get out of the bar, I thought he didn't want to be seen with her because she's overweight, not that he would turn out to be married.

So did I.  

This episode had its moments, but it was OK.  They are giving Mandy Moore some good material this season.  The last scene with her in the past and present was the best one of the episode.  I'm cool with her and Miguel, even if parts of it are retconned.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, betha said:

Yes agree. I wanted to hear more too. I did think it was odd to hear Kevin speak so openly about Jack's death when just last week they made a huge deal about how he never talks about it. 

Kevin said something about you can't stop him from walking away, and I feel he went back for the dog or something and  the "he never tells her no" lines between him and Rebecca enter into it also. So sad, might not be her fault, but the guilt of being able to change the script must weigh heavy.

• Love 6

Not the best episode for me. I was kind of annoyed with all of them in some way. 28 year old Kevin was pretty damn awful. What he did to his friend was ice cold. His own insecurities turn him into a huge ass, but he's never been this big of an ass. I just found it jarring.

However, Kid Kevin buying that kid to hold Kate's hand was sweet in the way that it showed how much he loves his sister. But also, for a 10 year old, he wouldn't see how this would be wrong and how it might hurt Kate's feelings if she found out, so that's why I'm alright with it. 

Kate sleeping with the married guy while suspecting that he's married didn't reflect well on her. 

Randall was also irritating this episode, both as a kid and as an adult. I think this season hasn't done well with Randall. I rolled my eyes at the TV labour trope that happens on every other TV show. This season has really driven all those tropes, despite claiming to be more of a realistic show. Everything's just so fake and forced for TV drama.

Miguel/Rebecca reconnected ten/eleven years after Jack's death? I guess it's somewhat of a retcon but we also never got verbal confirmation when they married, so they still could play around with the timeline. 

I did love the Rebecca scenes in the nursery. I thought her speeches were well done. 

5 minutes ago, betha said:

I wonder... in the Facebook message Miguel asked how she had been doing the past 8 years. But we calculate that Jack had died about 10 years before. Possible Rebecca tried to move on too quickly with Miguel right after Jack's death and did date him for a year or so while Kevin was with Sophie? Then she realized she wasn't ready and he moved to Houston. That would explain the continuity error with Sophie and the resentment.

This, I could accept. It would make sense. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I'm 2-3 years older than the twins and at 10 there is no way my parents would have gone out trick or treating with me.   My brother went with me when I was like 7.  But after that as long as I wasn't completely alone my parents were handing out candy at our house.

3 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

What was the point of Kevin's plot?  It would have made more sense to show how he got involved in The Manny rather than the meandering mess we got.  But Kevin definitely deserved that verbal beatdown from Brett, along with the note from his (former) roommate.

Well, I think that acting class and his trying to do comedy/improve is what eventually got him onto the Manny.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought he found out about it while trick or treating and he was clearly hyper-rigid before that point, so I don't think so.

10 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

He was already "rigid" because, as a 10-year-old, he turned trick or treating into a highly optimized candy-generating algorithm.

Okay, got it now.  Wow, why would you say that to a child?

I had a co-worker who had all three of her children unplanned at home,  one was in the car because they were on the way to the hospital but everything happened so fast.   I had a hard time believing that Rebecca would be allowed into the hospital nursery to see her granddaughter!

And, yes, the fan was called "Tessana".

Edited by elle
  • Love 3

I'm so over the folk background music.
It is odd that Jack and Rebecca never told the kids about the baby that didn't make it. I would think that would be part of the story of adopting Randall.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 18
7 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Well, I think that acting class and his trying to do comedy/improve is what eventually got him onto the Manny.

That probably was the case.  In retrospect, Kevin probably figured that his good looks and charm would be enough, and had little to no acting training.  I just would have rather seen something else than him trying to betray his roommate.  Kate probably became Kevin's manager/PR/handler/agent once she moved to LA.  Guessing she quit night school.

• Love 4

I know Kevin is often self centered, but he was way over the top in his dickishness with his roommate. I really like kid/teen Kevin, and I usually like adult Kevin as well, but this variation is a total asshole. 

The best part of the episode was Rebecca, and her talking about how much she misses Jack, and that makes her a little bit sad even when something happy is happening, just because he isn't there. Yeah, that got me a bit sniffly. Mandy Moore is getting some really good stuff lately. Also, looks like Miguel and Rebecca hooked up years after Jack died, which does make the whole thing seem a bit less sketchy. I really do wonder if they meant to make it that they got together sooner (and thats why Kevin and Randall resented him) but relented after the fan backlash. They should have realized that Jack was a REALLY tough act to follow. 

I get what they were trying this week, but it was probably the weakest episode of the season. 

• Love 7