Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E02: I'm a Wild Banshee

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, GaT said:

They should put Alan & Patrick on an island together & let them drive each other crazy instead of inflicting them on everybody else. Why do people make themselves so annoying?

Part of being socially awkward is an ability to conform to others easily.  I'm sure Patrick would prefer to be liked than disliked, and he seems to think his behavior should ingratiate him to others.

Alan began the paranoid accusations deliberately, but it may be who he truly is.  Or he's just an asshole.

3 hours ago, spazchic said:

I saw that too!  Good to know I wasn't hallucinating.

It was such a surreal moment!  Couldn't believe I was seeing what I was seeing, and had to double take to put what I heard together with the words on the screen.

I hope this season picks up soon. I have checked out of more than one season because it did nothing for me. The first two episodes of this one have done less than nothing. I won't miss Simone, but I wish that dickhead Patrick would have gone. From what I remember, Jeff talked this season up. That was my first warning that it would be crap. 

I somehow see a TH down the road from him bragging about how he’s made himself out to be the crazy tribe member, loose cannon.  

@LadyChatts, I believe Alan already gave that interview in the first episode.

As for Simone, I knew fans would call racism, but not seeing it at all. The pre-show interviews both with her and her cast mates indicated that she was already playing hard and making people uncomfortable when they were preparing to go to the island. Read the interviews in her thread, and you will see that she was making people uncomfortable with the way she was trying to impress before they could even talk to each other--and that she flat out said that this was what she was doing, so it wasn't people making shit up because she's Asian. She was boring, anyway, so I can't be bothered to care that the tactics she laid out in her interviews backfired on her. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

Man, this season is beyond boring so far. Even the challenges are boring because I just don't care who wins. Give me someone to root for already. Everybody is just so meh.

17 hours ago, vb68 said:

Not sure why Cole helped out Joe and didn't just keep that idol info to himself. 

I'm thinking Cole was just excited about figuring out the clue and blurted it out. I bet he regretted it afterwards.

16 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

And oh deer gahd Patrick is both a lefty AND a redhead?? I never knew such things existed and/or could survive in the world. He's eeeevil y'all.

I'm both a lefty and a redhead. Wouldn't be the first time I've been called eeeevil ;)

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If the person is helping around at camp and doing fine enough in challenges you would think that would be more important in the early stages. 

Except, at least from what we were shown, Simone didn't do much around camp and she sucked at the challenge so it's possible that there wasn't anything nefarious behind her getting voted out.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Except, at least from what we were shown, Simone didn't do much around camp and she sucked at the challenge so it's possible that there wasn't anything nefarious behind her getting voted out.

Lauren doesn't seem to do much at camp either.  Every time we have seen her, she's just sitting around and passing judgments on people.  She decided that Patrick was annoying and that she couldn't control him.  She decided that Simone was annoying but "at least she listens".  As if Lauren is the regal queen sitting back on her butt and deciding who she is going to allow the privilege of playing the game with her.  

She elected to sit out the challenge and that seemed to be a wise move because I have a feeling she would have sucked at either the diving or the puzzle.  I've always thought it weird how tribes blame the person who "lost" the challenge but don't seem to comment that perhaps the weakest link already took him/herself out of the challenge by volunteering to sit.  

Lauren seems to be the weakest link and I am surprised that Simone didn't try and convince the guys to vote out Lauren.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Part of being socially awkward is an ability to conform to others easily.  I'm sure Patrick would prefer to be liked than disliked, and he seems to think his behavior should ingratiate him to others.

IMHO Patrick is playing The Clown, under the (occasionally correct) assumption people generally like The Clown and won't consider him as the first automatic go-to for an eviction vote.  And in general, Patrick may even be right - although Production generally seemed to be leading us by the nose to the assumption he's overplaying the role, and putting a target on his own back.

48 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Alan began the paranoid accusations deliberately, but it may be who he truly is.  Or he's just an asshole.

Or both.  :>

31 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

As for Simone, I knew fans would call racism, but not seeing it at all. The pre-show interviews both with her and her cast mates indicated that she was already playing hard and making people uncomfortable when they were preparing to go to the island. Read the interviews in her thread, and you will see that she was making people uncomfortable with the way she was trying to impress before they could even talk to each other--and that she flat out said that this was what she was doing, so it wasn't people making shit up because she's Asian. She was boring, anyway, so I can't be bothered to care that the tactics she laid out in her interviews backfired on her. 

Purely my own impression based in nothing more than the broadcast, but it looked to me like Simone's game was virtually nonexistent before the Challenge - then she cranked her gameplay up to 11 after the Challenge, which is shitty game-timing.  Everybody can smell your desperation - and you have to know your sincerity will be suspect, since you apparently didn't consider many of your Tribemates worthy of strategy discussion until after your ass was in the hot seat.  Too little, too late.

This was the first time I've noticed people in the water with their shoes on! I was wondering what was up with that. Really odd.

Keeps from getting your feet chopped up on the rocks.  I'm surprised we've never seen that many contestants wearing river shoes, frankly.  If I knew I was going to an aquatic-centric environment with limited wardrobe options, I'd have my Keens strapped on before you could blink.

And oh deer gahd Patrick is both a lefty AND a redhead?? I never knew such things existed and/or could survive in the world. He's eeeevil y'all.

I'm a lefty and not a redhead.  If that information leads you to make the assumption I am only half-evil, though, then I feel compelled to warn you that you're drastically underestimating my capabilities.  ;>

• Love 10

I few things I saw people ask that I saw answered in THR's pre-game interviews:

Lauren may not be fishing because in her pre-game interview with Josh Wigler she said she wasn't going to tell people she was a professional fisherman. No, I don't know why. She was going to go with landscaper instead (which she does part-time).

Chrissy is an actuary. She had a very successful career, quit to be a stay-at-home mom for years, and then went back to work as an actuary and again became very successful. I believe she was the head of a company's department before she resigned to play Survivor. She said she was going to use the term financial analyst because she was afraid the term actuary would scare people and make them think she was smart, whereas a financial analyst is pretty broad and can be a lot of things. It also tends to bore people and once you say that they don't ask questions. TPTB apparently think no one knows what an actuary IS, so they just went with "financial analyst" too.

Also... Chrissy is a huge Survivor fan. She's been applying for years. I think she said since S2 or S3? So she was so excited to make the cast she was willing to quit her job. I don't think she cares what tribe she got shoehorned onto. She's just glad to be there.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Nashville said:

IMHO Patrick is playing The Clown, under the (occasionally correct) assumption people generally like The Clown and won't consider him as the first automatic go-to for an eviction vote.

Were I on any tribe with one I would be first to say 'First thing we do is we vote out The Clown'. If you're in a situation when dealing with people 24/7 I'd oh so quickly get sick (and tired?) of someone like Patrick who seems to always be "on" I'd need a break from that if not permanently!

37 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I'm both a lefty and a redhead. Wouldn't be the first time I've been called eeeevil ;)

Hah! One of my best college buddies was a lefty and he had a boss that would constantly tell him as he was working "Ya know it's the devil in that left hand!". The same buddy was fond of saying "Hire the left-handed! It's fun to watch them write."

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, simplyme said:

Lauren may not be fishing because in her pre-game interview with Josh Wigler she said she wasn't going to tell people she was a professional fisherman. No, I don't know why. She was going to go with landscaper instead (which she does part-time).

LOL, I've heard of hiding that you're a cop or a pro-athlete. But fisherman? Why??? Is that a super threatening job? Is she a LAZY fisherman, or didn't want to be taken advantage of? I need more!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, simplyme said:

Also... Chrissy is a huge Survivor fan. She's been applying for years. I think she said since S2 or S3? So she was so excited to make the cast she was willing to quit her job. I don't think she cares what tribe she got shoehorned onto. She's just glad to be there.

That's actually a very cute story. I now like Chrissy more. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

OL, I've heard of hiding that you're a cop or a pro-athlete. But fisherman? Why??? Is that a super threatening job? Is she a LAZY fisherman, or didn't want to be taken advantage of? I need more!

Maybe she thought if she told people she was a professional fisherman, her tribe would expect her to do all the fishing and she didn't want to do that, as it could keep her away from the rest of tribe a lot, keep her from being social and all.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

Well, gee.  Let's talk about how Simone isn't clicking with the team.  And let's talk about how annoying Patrick is.  (And he REALLY is annoying.)  And oh look, here's the challenge.  I wonder which team will lose and go to tribal.  Why, it's the team with Simone and Patrick!  Quelle surprise.  

If you were actually surprised by that, you may also have been surprised that the Asian woman who got no TH last week was voted out early (a sort of Survivor tradition).  Or that an older woman was voted off first, last week.

In the only other development of note, Cole is apparently not as shrewd as he could be, or he might have kept his mouth shut about the real meaning of the idol clue.

Kind of a meh episode.

I loved the TH after the idol find when Cole said something the effect of "Now Joe will see me as an asset he can use."  Yeah, he sees you as a useful idiot.  

I was hoping it would be Patrick, because he is super annoying.  But, Simone was a logical choice.  She was weak in challenges, thought taking a dump in the ocean was a great accomplishment, expected air conditioning and told everyone at TC that she is terrified 100% of the time.  I give her credit for trying to step out of her comfort zone, but she was clearly not a good fit for the show. 

• Love 7

Speaking of eye candy, Patrick's eyes were gorgeous in the TC lighting. I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want to go back, but that was a good look for him, imo.

I should probably put this in Simone's thread, but here's her post-game interview with Josh Wigler: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-simone-nguyen-exit-interview-1045997

Apparently she felt it was a fair edit. She didn't gel and was very open (including about where she went to school--good call on that whoever called me out on that. Bryce or Lance?) but said Patrick is hideously annoying and screaming all the time, hence why she targeted him instead of "salt-of-the-earth" Lauren. She's very gracious and good-natured in her interview, imo.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Chrissy is pretty fucking full of herself isn't she?  Holy smokes.

I love that the Hero Financial Analyst used her actuarial skills to calculate that she and Ben with their 2 votes now have total control over a tribe of 5.    I mean, they very well might be able to bring someone else in, but they seem awful cocky for an alliance of 2.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, awaken said:

I'm picking Ali FTW, with Devon and skinny bellhop as F3. They know how to be subtle and handle people, a skill that clearly, most people on this show do not have!  

I like those 3 as well, especially Ali.  I think Ali could be really dangerous.  She seems to have a low key leadership ability where everyone seems to gravitate towards her.  It's like she's in charge, without even trying to be in charge.  Nearly the whole tribe seems to confide in her, think she is someone they want to work with and just assume she is supposed to stay in the game.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Maybe she thought if she told people she was a professional fisherman, her tribe would expect her to do all the fishing and she didn't want to do that, as it could keep her away from the rest of tribe a lot, keep her from being social and all.

Also, keep in mind Lauren is a professional fisher - which means she works on a professional trawling rig, not spearfishing or casting nets from shore.  Lauren may have been concerned if she did voice her occupation but couldn't deliver with the primitive fishing tools available, her tribemates might consider her of minimal value in camp - or worse, think she was lying about her occupation and get paranoid about what she might be covering up.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wasn't looking too closely at the puzzle, were the place names all Survivor locations?  And did they fit in the order of Survivor seasons?  Just curious if that was a clue or if it was really just put them in willy-nilly until they fit.

I was wondering if it was geographically accurate. Vanuatu is West of Fiji and Samoa is East. Were they on opposite sides of the pole? It would have made is easy for someone with a good sense of direction to figure it out.

Edited by eel2178
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

OL, I've heard of hiding that you're a cop or a pro-athlete. But fisherman? Why??? Is that a super threatening job? Is she a LAZY fisherman, or didn't want to be taken advantage of? I need more!

Good point.  I'd also add that fishing can be such a hit-or-miss kind of thing, so declaring you're a professional fisherman then not coming up with oodles of fresh catch every day paints a huge target on your back as well.  It sounds weird, but I think it was pretty smart protective coloration.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, princelina said:

I just feel that we have seen people of all ethnicities do well on Survivor at times ...

Not very many POC have won though. I believe only 5 have.

This episode was boring as hell. I truly don't care about any of these people. Honestly Simone and Patrick were the only 2 I got even some entertainment out of in the first 2 eps, so I was bummed one of them was going.

I am tired of Ryan already and I feel pretty sure he will at least make merge, so I expect to fully hate him by then.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, simplyme said:

Chrissy is an actuary. She had a very successful career, quit to be a stay-at-home mom for years, and then went back to work as an actuary and again became very successful. I believe she was the head of a company's department before she resigned to play Survivor. She said she was going to use the term financial analyst because she was afraid the term actuary would scare people and make them think she was smart, whereas a financial analyst is pretty broad and can be a lot of things. It also tends to bore people and once you say that they don't ask questions. TPTB apparently think no one knows what an actuary IS, so they just went with "financial analyst" too.

http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/breaking-the-mold/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/christinehofbeck

I'm still not clear how this makes her a "hero."

Edited by eel2178
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Not very many POC have won though. I believe only 5 have.

I get six - Vecepia, Sandra (twice), Yul, Earl, Natalie, and Jeremy.  But yeah that's not a lot over so many seasons.

9 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I'm still not clear how this makes her a "hero."

Same way being a probation officer makes you a "healer," I guess.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Abi was one of the most hated people on the show, from a viewer standpoint, yet she made it to 5th place both times. And she told me she did all the cooking for everyone, and she’s such a sweet person I can see why they kept her around a long time.

No, just her first time.  She came in seventh her second time.

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I love that the Hero Financial Analyst used her actuarial skills to calculate that she and Ben with their 2 votes now have total control over a tribe of 5.    I mean, they very well might be able to bring someone else in, but they seem awful cocky for an alliance of 2.  

Except they might be in control.  Ashley and J.P. are distancing themselves from each other, and Alan is just not trusted by anyone.  They are easily the only two on stable ground on Levu.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Other than blurting out the location of the idol, what has Cole done that was dumb?

Not finessing the situation.   Don't lead him to the idol!! 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Star Aristille said:

No, just her first time.  She came in seventh her second time.

Except they might be in control.  Ashley and J.P. are distancing themselves from each other, and Alan is just not trusted by anyone.  They are easily the only two on stable ground on Levu.

I agree that they MIGHT be able to take  control.  I just found them doing their touchdown dance over forming an alliance of 2 in a tribe of 5 comically presumptuous.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am tired of Ryan already and I feel pretty sure he will at least make merge, so I expect to fully hate him by then.

Very, very tired of Ryan. I was tired of him during his very first talking head.

I will of course watch to the bitter end, but I don't think I have ever been so unenamored of an entire cast, and so utterly unenthused by two opening episodes.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I get six - Vecepia, Sandra (twice), Yul, Earl, Natalie, and Jeremy.  But yeah that's not a lot over so many seasons.

I was forgetting Natalie. How I don't know because she's one of my faves! But still yes 6 out of 34 is not great. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I agree that they MIGHT be able to take  control.  I just found them doing their touchdown dance over forming an alliance of 2 in a tribe of 5 comically presumptuous.

Heh. I read that differently. Given that Alan went off and made people worry that he's a loose cannon, JP seems rather dim, and Ashley is the person multiple people in pre-game interviews expressed shock at seeing a smile on her face in her photo as she apparently had resting bitch face pre-game, and JP and Ashley appear allied, I think Ben and Chrissy were just delighted to have found an ally who seemed stable. Two are better than one, and with Alan and JP/Ashley on the outs with each other, if Ben/Chrissy stay calm and not-obviously-together they can side whichever way they want. It seems good for both of them.

• Love 3

to me i don't think it matters if all the women get voted off if it makes sense to the tribe . There have been seasons where the men have been picked off boom boom boom. same with race. like I really don't think that goes through their minds. Yes, sometimes when they go we have to go for the "strength" it would be nice for people to advocate there are different kind of strengths (just once people reference Koror!!).  Simone wasn't fitting in, and i think you can deal with a loud obnoxious Patrick - if he can also fit in some of the time (except for Lauren) vs. someone who doesn't fit in at all

I liked the puzzle. that was really spiffy. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Eh. TPTB stuck her on a tribe. It's not like she even knew what the tribes were ahead of time. I mean, how is a diversity advocate a hustler? How was Caleb a game changer? The woman wanted to play Survivor for years. As someone who hates themes, I'd rather they cast people who don't fit the stupid theme but might be good.

Granted, I'd like it even better if they killed off the themes, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just hanging in there til they do a tribal swap and the stupid theme gets less coverage. Please, make that happen soon.

• Love 4

Patrick would get on my nerves. Loud people are particularly annoying to me. Stuck on an island being filmed and unable to get away has to be frustrating.  

Simone/ your bathroom functions are TMI. I did totally understand the air conditioning comment though.  I also understand her difficulty at the challenge, being short myself. 

Alan would make me nervous. Patrick is only annoying. 

I remember learning to write as a lefty. My teacher was very critical of my handwriting. She also wanted me to write with that awkward over hand position, and I refused to do so. I write like a righty in terms of hand position. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I remember learning to write as a lefty. My teacher was very critical of my handwriting. She also wanted me to write with that awkward over hand position, and I refused to do so. I write like a righty in terms of hand position. 

A lefty who holds his hand the same way as a righty has the hemispheres of this brain reversed (Our "left brain" characteristics are in your right brain, and our "right brain" characteristics are on the left side of your brain). A lefty who writes with his hand hooked has the hemispheres of his brain placed the same way as a righty does.

I don't think Cole was dumb for correcting Joe's guesswork re: the idol clue. I think he did it to gain trust with Joe, and he knows that Joe is an aggressive player who may have gone after him had he lied and gone for the idol himself. BUT - if he plays it right, it also gives him some power over Joe, because he could 'out' the idol to the rest of the tribe,  so there's a good chance that Joe will play nice with him for a little while. Not to mention, given how paranoid Joe is, I'm sure it'd be hard to get away by himself to dig for the idol, hide it, and keep up the ruse that it's still hidden somewhere "5 feet in the ocean".

I think it's hilarious when people lie about their professions on Survivor (especially when there doesn't really seem a need for it), but I think Lauren was smart not to divulge hers. Can you imagine the pressure? Others have already commented on the difference between commercial fishing and more primitive techniques, but there's also the completely different environment, i.e. tropical coast vs. deep sea fishing. I think it'd be a no-win situation, and my view of her as a player changed after hearing the lie. Girl might have some game.

I like Chrissy. I think I like Ali. And maybe Dr. Prick and the ex. marine (Ben?). Everyone else seems way lackluster. I don't hate Ryan, and he seems good-natured, which I always appreciate, but I don't think he's a "smart" nerd a la David or Cochran. I suspect he may just be an awkward dude, which isn't as fun.

Also, I hope they limit JP's talking heads, because you know, like, when you, you know, aren't very um....articulate, you know, it's so, you know, hard to follow. Christ. I hope it was just nerves (he appeared a little nervous at having to talk to the camera).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Except, of course, she isn't basing it just on the two of them. She's basing it on the two of them and either Ashley or Alan, both of whom have shown signs of being interested in such an arrangement. Yeah, she's super stupid. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

Funny, because I don't think many people think of a working dad as a hero... it's just their role/job.  Like being a marine or firefighter.  

Look at the statistics concerning how much more work a working mother does than a working father, and you just might find your answers as to why. 

• Love 6

Patrick wasnt particularly useful in the challenge is scared of crabs and so hyper I cant imagine him being able to quit running his mouth and ricocheting off trees to be useful.   But hey lets all pile on the fat ugly woman.  Seriously thats what Im reading here.  She hasnt been shown working much doesnt mean she hasnt been.  Seriously why does being an unattractive or heavy  woman bring out so much dislike?  Its like people take it as a personal affront.  

Not a Chrissy fan but 1) she does seem smart and sunny and a pretty blond! and tbat can take you far. I like hearing how long she has been trying to get on the show.  

As for shoes in the water - they were sitting on their butts.  IDK going to keep an eye out.  

1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

She hasnt been shown working much

I don't know what exactly your comment is referencing, but you kind of answered your own question. The edit is all we can go by. If we see a montage where the tribe is shown doing stuff around camp, and then a shot of Simone sitting on a log, the brain will draw the conclusion "Simone is lazy". Similarly, if this episode we just see Lauren sitting in the shelter complaining, sitting in the water complaining, chatting at the well about disliking Patrick, etc., then we don't see evidence of any hard work - just complaining. So if Patrick was shown killing the crab, building shelter, cleaning up, etc., then why wouldn't we think he has more value as a tribe member than Lauren?
That's an editing thing - most people are not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt and assume they are doing work, when they haven't seen it. Also, I'm by no means a supporter of the 'fat is beautiful movement', but Lauren is...not even heavy? I mean, she looks very average to me. I certainly wouldn't look at her and assume she'd suck at challenges/be useless around camp. She has a few extra pounds, no big deal. She's certainly not ugly either!
I'm thinking people are more so reacting to her edit; that she's been shown complaining, but not really doing much (at camp or otherwise). I'm neutral on her, but she does have a bit of a Debbie Downer vibe, and on a tribe of young, energetic people, it's not as fun to watch. And for some viewers, being a fisherwoman but not fishing for the tribe may read as "lazy". YMMV, obviously.

• Love 1

I just can't believe how many lefties there are around here...

Anyhow, I do think it's a good call to not reveal your 'fisher' work when people are trying to fish to eat without your lifting a finger or offering advice. It's about that same as not want to declare "I'm good at puzzles!" Which never ends well.

• Love 5
On 10/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Seriously.  What is the big deal?  Not wanting to date someone who didn't make jury is also eternally hilarious.  People were upset by that comment?!

This is like So Kim again.  As an Asian person I am very disappointed how Asian people fare in this game.  "Ohhhhhhhhhhh she's sooooooo horrifying she mentioned air conditioning!"  Jesus.

Simone "not clicking with the team" was bullshit.  The females on the team seemed to have zero problem with her.  The nerdy guy in the underwear seemed to find her "weird".  Okay well maybe you could find something to cover your balls because I usually try to eat dinner with this show.

Kat's comment is even funnier because it was about not being date-worthy because she didn't even make the merge!  

Simone reminded me of Brooke Soso on OITNB in ways. 

21 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

(BTW, if Alan never saw an episode, how would he know what a "power couple" is?)

Well, it was a guess based on one episode, not a statement of fact or anything.  

6 hours ago, eel2178 said:

She's a hero because the show needed 3 tribes of 6.

1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:

I just can't believe how many lefties there are around here...

I'm a leftie and not surprised.  My first job out of college (as a financial analyst/hero), about half the large analyst dept. was left-handed.  We're the smart, analytical people.  Lots of those here.  ; )

10 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Except, at least from what we were shown, Simone didn't do much around camp

Well, we were shown entirely out-of-context shots of her sitting.  Assuming the other people did not spend their entire Survivor experience standing up, they could have done this edit to every single one of them.

9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Other than blurting out the location of the idol, what has Cole done that was dumb?

Two seasons ago it was firmly established on this board that anyone expressing any attraction another constestant was a vapid, stuck-up, trash-talking unbelievably stupid bitch who deserved to get punched in her ugly little mole and definitely made up her own nickname because we like to sit around daydreaming reasons to hate her.  (Personally, I don't think Cole is dumb; it's easy to get caught up in the moment and blurt out the answer to a puzzle, and I think his thing for Jessica is sort of adorable.  I didn't get the idea that he thinks 30 is "old" but rather that he felt he must seem young in her eyes.)

I think Chrissy is right to think she and Ben can run things together on a tribe of 5 against Alan who has worked hard to alienate JP and Ashley, who in their turn are feeling pressure to not be strongly aligned.  I thought it was funny and clever how she took JP's line to use on Ben, "nobody would think we're the power couple!"

• Love 2
6 hours ago, eel2178 said:

A lefty who holds his hand the same way as a righty has the hemispheres of this brain reversed (Our "left brain" characteristics are in your right brain, and our "right brain" characteristics are on the left side of your brain). A lefty who writes with his hand hooked has the hemispheres of his brain placed the same way as a righty does.

Well... I'm a lefty who writes both ways, so I guess I'm fucked.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Except, of course, she isn't basing it just on the two of them. She's basing it on the two of them and either Ashley or Alan, both of whom have shown signs of being interested in such an arrangement. Yeah, she's super stupid. 

2 plus 2 more "showing interest" are not an unstoppable alliance.  If JP and Ashley sniff out their alliance, things could turn bad for Ben and Chrissy very quickly.  

I'm not saying they are in a bad position.  I just think they are greatly overestimating the power of their twosome.  

When I look at Patrick, I'm reminded of things I've read saying that when Native Americans first saw the Europeans they thought we were scary looking with our ghost like skin and "white" eyes.  They would probably look at tall pink Patrick with his pile of red curls and extremely pale eyes and be terrified.  He startles me a little bit and I'm of the pale blue Scottish variety, myself.

• Love 3

I am chuckling at the declarations of this season is boring.

Yes, it is boring but it always is unless it's returnees.

We don't know names, can't keep people straight and the editors simply cannot let us "get to know" the entire cast in the first few episodes.

As with most things Survivor, it will get better as it gets going. JMO

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Sugar said:

I don't know what exactly your comment is referencing, but you kind of answered your own question. The edit is all we can go by. If we see a montage where the tribe is shown doing stuff around camp, and then a shot of Simone sitting on a log, the brain will draw the conclusion "Simone is lazy". Similarly, if this episode we just see Lauren sitting in the shelter complaining, sitting in the water complaining, chatting at the well about disliking Patrick, etc., then we don't see evidence of any hard work - just complaining. So if Patrick was shown killing the crab, building shelter, cleaning up, etc., then why wouldn't we think he has more value as a tribe member than Lauren?
That's an editing thing - most people are not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt and assume they are doing work, when they haven't seen it. Also, I'm by no means a supporter of the 'fat is beautiful movement', but Lauren is...not even heavy? I mean, she looks very average to me. I certainly wouldn't look at her and assume she'd suck at challenges/be useless around camp. She has a few extra pounds, no big deal. She's certainly not ugly either!
I'm thinking people are more so reacting to her edit; that she's been shown complaining, but not really doing much (at camp or otherwise). I'm neutral on her, but she does have a bit of a Debbie Downer vibe, and on a tribe of young, energetic people, it's not as fun to watch. And for some viewers, being a fisherwoman but not fishing for the tribe may read as "lazy". YMMV, obviously.

You make it sound like Patrick has been working his ass off and wonderful doing all things.  I don't see that at all.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Two seasons ago it was firmly established on this board that anyone expressing any attraction another constestant was a vapid, stuck-up, trash-talking unbelievably stupid bitch who deserved to get punched in her ugly little mole and definitely made up her own nickname because we like to sit around daydreaming reasons to hate her.  (Personally, I don't think Cole is dumb; it's easy to get caught up in the moment and blurt out the answer to a puzzle, and I think his thing for Jessica is sort of adorable.  I didn't get the idea that he thinks 30 is "old" but rather that he felt he must seem young in her eyes.)

huh? I have no idea who you are talking about but I tend to forget most contestants about 5 minutes after the show ends. The ones I remember tend to have won and I like or are those annoying big personalities who annoy the living hell out of me and normally don't have a chance in hell of winning the game.

I think Cole had the perfect BS Joe and "look for the idol" while keeping it's real location to himself. My real objection to Cole's action as that he used the idea that his job was to help people achieve their dreams so why not help Joe? The answer, to me, is pretty clear. You don't help Joe achieve his dream of finding an idol because the idol benefits Cole when it is in Cole's bag and not Joe's bag. For me it is a misstep that could be very dangerous. Joe is likely to target Cole because Cole knows he has the idol and Joe sees that as a threat. Cole could also use it to target Joe by telling people that Joe has the idol. Over all, I think the pretend to look for the idol and find it on your own strategy would have been a better play but Cole can still use this as an advantage.

• Love 4