Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Déjà Vu

• Start Topic

Sly Stallone! 

That foster kid broke my heart.

So Kevin has his own deep rooted issues with Jack's death. Makes sense, though it sucks that he got so rattled making the movie that he hurt his leg.

I knew the woman that answered teen Randall's ad was a crazy scam artist. That's pretty low.

The Jack/Rebecca scenes were realistic. You can't force back romance, just let it happen naturally. And hey, they found their dog!

I think I dislike Miguel's ex even more than Miguel. 

• Love 14

This was a great episode.  But, I still hate the disconnect between Kate/Kevin and Randall.  When Randall was talking to Deja, I was afraid that it was just going to be fine because Randall and Beth were just the bestest foster parents ever.  I was glad to see the show isn't going to take the easy way out.  

• Love 18

That moment where Opie and Rocky are in the same scene together.  

I was too distracted by my real life family problems to focus on this but at least I know where the dog comes into in the future/past. 

• Love 7

I felt for Kevin when Sly started on his Dad but you knew it was coming. I just thought in preview he made him cry.  Maybe he never got to say goodbye or didn't end last conversation on a good note. I liked seeing Sly and Ron, still looking good.

I hope Deja works though her many issues, most not her fault I'm sure, but it will be a bumpy ride, with hills and valley's. Her life with Randall wont be anything she is used too and hopefully they will all learn things from each other. The writers have to be careful not to get too dark or too pollyanna.

So the dog was a stray...kind of fitting.  They said there would be smiles coming this season along with the tears, bring them on!!

• Love 8

Wow, that was good. I'm going to have to rewatch, most definitely.

We FINALLY get some Kevin personal stuff! And it did not disappoint. No love interests in the episode for Kevin or Kate, so that's a plus. We got sibling scenes, and some insight into Kevin. Plus...did I read the last scene correctly, or do I watch too much TV and think that they were implying a drug addiction? Maybe he went through some addiction to his pain meds when his dad died. Maybe I'm just reading into it. Either way, excellent Kevin moments. Welcome to the show, Justin! You're finally getting some serious acting moments!

So...they got on the right path with the foster kid, Deja. I wish Randall was more involved with his siblings, but at least I didn't get annoyed at his subplot like the last two episodes. I like how they'll have their ups and downs with Deja, but she might be around to stay. I like that she was nice to Tess and Annie. And I think it was Annie who had the flashback to William. 

The flashbacks were good, but I was more interested in the present day scenes. I did like how Jack and Rebecca are still struggling. I wonder how much he'll be able to share with her before his death. And the dog! 

• Love 14

I loved the scene at the end with the teenage Big 3. They fight and pester but I saw in that scene that all Kate and Kevin wanted to do was be there for Randall. He opened up to them before Rebecca or Jack (which makes sense given what's going on with jack's recovery). 

• Love 18

There's a lot I could mock (mostly Sly-related), but this episode worked for me in a way that the first two didn't.  I especially liked teen Kate and Kevin going with Randall to meet his non-mother.  And William's scene with little Annie.  Loved showing Deja's entrance into the home from her perspective, and Randall realizing what they were taking on. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

r do I watch too much TV and think that they were implying a drug addiction? Maybe he went through some addiction to his pain meds when his dad died. Maybe I'm just reading into it. Either way, excellent Kevin moments. Welcome to the show, Justin! You're finally getting some serious acting moments!

No, I definitely got a drug addiction vibe, too.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 21

Teenage Kate is very pretty.  It was nice seeing teenagers  Randell and Kevin getting along.  

Sly was sweet and my allergies acted up in that scene with Kevin. 

I think I might be to invested in these characters.   I screamed no when Kate said to jacks ashes he’s just like you then we see Kevin take some pain meds.   

• Love 18

Another show I enjoyed, as they peeled back the layers of the Pearson family.  I just love the younger actors/actresses on this show!  The Teen actors of the Big 3 are terrific, and I loved that Kate&Kevin were worried about Randall meeting his bio Mom and went with him.  Tess & Annie are adorable.  The audience is beginning to see Kevin's reaction to his Father's death, which he has pushed aside.  I thought Sly Stallone was good in his part, gave off a "Fatherly" vibe and his conversation with Kate was funny.  I'm thinking Kevin is hiding a pill addiction, like Jack tried to hide his drinking.  

• Love 17

Love that teen K&K supported teen R with finding him "mom" Kevin wasn't his usual teenage a-hole self. But I don't think he said more then like 20 words. 

I didn't like when Randall was telling Dejà about his great extended family. He better not have been calling the Pearson's extended family. They are just your family. 

Oh for shadowing when Kevin being like Jake while he pops pills. Do we have an addiction story line coming up. I teared up with the Sly speech to Kevin. Not because of Kevin and Jack but because I was thinking about Sly and his son. 

Glad Dejà isn't going to be this huge trouble maker and happy that something isn't easy for Randall right off the bat.

So this is going to be supper shallow but Chrissy's eyebrows just don't work for me. They are too thin and too high on her forehead. I don't know why I never noticed before.

• Love 8

I was waiting for one of Deja's questions to be "Wait, is that the Manny?" The foster storyline is going well. Ups and downs. Fair. And major respect to Tess and Annie because 1) Tess immediately had her hands on Annie to shield her when Deja walked in unexpectedly and 2) Annie was awesome in her flashback with William. Beth and Randall have great girls. 

Chrissy Metz looked so good in the scenes on the movie set. The makeup and black wardrobe looked great. I thought she looked like she'd lost weight, but judging by her final scene it may have just been the wardrobe.

The dog. Oh, shit they're getting close. Enjoyed the flashback to Jack giving Kevin the necklace at the hospital and Kate showing up at the car window to tell him about Jack. Were they in the same station wagon we see Rebecca driving or do I just think all station wagons look alike? "He's just like you." *downs drugs* Shit. I don't want an addiction storyline for Kevin. I don't think it quite fits him and I don't want him to go through that.

Nice bonding scene between the teen Big 3. Kevin was quiet, but still there for Randall and having a perfectly normal brotherly conversation about hot 90s pop stars. Teen Kate seems to have a lot of emotional intelligence that I don't think is fully there in adult Kate.

I didn't have strong feelings about him before this ep, but now I would like to befriend Sly Stallone.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

No, I definitely got a drug addiction vibe, too.

Oh totally, it wasn't subtle at all. I did actually like Kevin's conversation with Kate about the knee though, because when she said "you have to watch it" or "be careful" or whatever she said I thought she was just showing concern for his injury, but now I think with the heavy-handed episode-ending pill popping that what she meant was that he could get hooked on his meds, as if it's happened before.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, bettername2come said:

Shit. I don't want an addiction storyline for Kevin. I don't think it quite fits him and I don't want him to go through that.

I think it might actually fit in. What we haven't gotten much of is how Kevin handled Jack's death, because he avoids talking about it. Kate dealt through food as well as feeling guilt over her role in his death, whether or not she's really at fault. Randall's addiction was being as perfect as possible. But Kevin? We never knew how he dealt with all of that, and I think the show is still in its early stages, and they also have done so little with Kevin when it's not about a girl, where it won't feel out of place. I mean, we'll see how it goes, but I think it'll be a good storyline. I've been wanting a personal Kevin storyline for a while. 

Also, Kate and Randall have gotten some deeply personal arcs last season. I'm excited for Kevin's turn.

4 minutes ago, Tooch said:

Oh totally, it wasn't subtle at all. I did actually like Kevin's conversation with Kate about the knee though, because when she said "you have to watch it" or "be careful" or whatever she said I thought she was just showing concern for his injury, but now I think with the heavy-handed episode-ending pill popping that what she meant was that he could get hooked on his meds, as if it's happened before.

Yep, and now that I've settled with the idea, I see why they added the knee injury around the time of Jack's death. I wondered why it would be so important, and now it makes sense. 

• Love 16

decent episode

i loved kevin's jab at kate, really she has to learn that life has to go on whatever you want it to or not and she can't use jack's death as an excuse

the foster kid plot was ok, but a few things, why would beth try to put deja's stuff away without asking first? like i don't do that with my family, the correct thing to do would have been to ask if she wanted help, don't paw through her stuff, that's just rude, the introduction to the family was ok but they should have done it from a first pov, randall is putting way too much hope he can be some saint that fixes deja's problems in a matter of minutes, these things take time, the little girls saying can we send her back infuriated me, like she's a person not a pet, i would think you would know what it's like to be dehumanized,  anyway i hate little kids, also beth and randall explaining about the mom wasn't well done, they should have showed her the papers so deja can see for herself, also what social worked doesn't bring the case file with them? also that worker was an ass, anyone else feel like deja looked too old to be 12?

the other scenes were fine

• Love 9

The Kevin actor did a perfect job with that last scene on the phone!  Really made me verklempt.

I'm hoping they don't do a full-on pill addiction story with Kevin.  Hoping, probably in vain, that "Kevin is like Jack" means more that he always tries to be the happy, laid back one and ends up swallowing his emotions.  

• Love 9

Caller ID would just show a random number though.  Unless a foster placement office is saved as a contact in their phone, just seeing a number wouldn't reveal any information.

32 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Yikes, poor young Randall, being targeted by a woman who just wanted money and lied about being his bio mom.    

This was the storyline that was hardest for me to take.  Randall seemed like he was being so sweet and naive to place that ad, but then he was so immediately streetsmart when the woman wanted to swindle him.  It was like both extremes in one.  Thank goodness I guess.  

I agree, the foster care worker was really strange, but since I have no experience in that arena, maybe it's realistic?  Beth and Randall's daughters are funny and cute.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Hard to believe that Randall and Beth have a phone without Caller ID.

Did we know before tonight that Miguel had a daughter?  Amber? I wonder what she thinks of the extended Pearson clan.

I believe Miguel has two children.  

Are any of the big three like their mom? 

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This was the storyline that was hardest for me to take.  Randall seemed like he was being so sweet and naive to place that ad, but then he was so immediately streetsmart when the woman wanted to swindle him.  It was like both extremes in one.  Thank goodness I guess.  

She wasn't exactly being subtle.  "You said you don't need money.  That means you have money, right?"  I'm not street smart at all and I could figure that out.

• Love 13
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ok.  He's supposed to be like 15, extremely hopeful, and vulnerable.  Sorry that I worry about children.

I wasn't insulting you.  I'm glad she wasn't subtle.  I just think an actual con artist would have been a bit more smooth.  Maybe it was her first time.  She seemed a little strung out.  she probably needed a hit, quick.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, hovegeta said:

decent episode

i loved kevin's jab at kate, really she has to learn that life has to go on whatever you want it to or not and she can't use jack's death as an excuse

the foster kid plot was ok, but a few things, why would beth try to put deja's stuff away without asking first? like i don't do that with my family, the correct thing to do would have been to ask if she wanted help, don't paw through her stuff, that's just rude, the introduction to the family was ok but they should have done it from a first pov, randall is putting way too much hope he can be some saint that fixes deja's problems in a matter of minutes, these things take time, the little girls saying can we send her back infuriated me, like she's a person not a pet, i would think you would know what it's like to be dehumanized,  anyway i hate little kids, also beth and randall explaining about the mom wasn't well done, they should have showed her the papers so deja can see for herself, also what social worked doesn't bring the case file with them? also that worker was an ass, anyone else feel like deja looked too old to be 12?

the other scenes were fine

Very true, but why would Randall’s daughters know what it’s like to be dehumanized?

I too thought Beth was wrong to put Deja’s stuff away without asking her.  I mean Deja doesn’t know Beth at all.

Loved that you see three generations feeling as if they don’t belong:  Older William, Randall band Deja.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

She wasn't exactly being subtle.  "You said you don't need money.  That means you have money, right?"  I'm not street smart at all and I could figure that out.

Yeah, whatever she was trying to do, she was terrible at it.   I think we were supposed to believe she had a drug problem and was desperate for money.

I kind of want to meet Miguel's grown up kids now.  If they like Miguel and know anything about the Pearson family dynamics, they probably hate The Big Three for being so dismissive of their dad.  I like the Pearson siblings, but I probably would not enjoy them as step siblings!  

Beth definitely should not have put Deja's stuff in the drawers without asking ... but I assumed she was just nervous and trying to be motherly toward Deja and didn't think it through.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 9
Just now, Neurochick said:

Very true, but why would Randall’s daughters know what it’s like to be dehumanized?

I too thought Beth was wrong to put Deja’s stuff away without asking her.  I mean Deja doesn’t know Beth at all.

Loved that you see three generations feeling as if they don’t belong:  Older William, Randall band Deja.

oh i meant most likely despite their lavish upbringing the girls have encountered some form of discrimination and racism against them

• Love 4

They finally got some solid footing in the foster plot.  The actress who played Deja was very good, and I couldn't blame her for getting mad at Beth for rifling through her stuff.  I'm glad Randall is realizing that there is no book, blog, or instruction manual that will prepare him for this.  Kind of him to try to soften the blow for Deja's sake.

The scene with Annie and William was so sweet.  She's a darling.

Kevin's reluctance to talk about Jack makes sense.  Last season, when he and whatshername crashed the funeral, remember that Kevin tried to give his condolences to the widow, only to break down in tears instead.

The pill addiction is interesting, too.  Kate was pretty alarmed about Kevin's old knee injury, so it must have been serious.  Kevin played football as a teenager, and I wonder if the injury sidelined that permanently, which led to him getting more serious about acting.  Anyway, that final scene was well acted by both of them.  It was nice for just them to have a plot instead of worrying about the significant others. 

Glad that Sly was such a nice guy.  I was worried he would be a jerk.

Not surprising what happened with Randall and the woman in the park.  Such an earnest letter, too.  Poor kid.  I'm just glad that he realized it immediately and got the hell out of there.

• Love 13

I loved tonight's episode...and love that the girls were the first to welcome Deja in...Beth going through her stuff was not right but also showed that she's having a rough start too at this foster parenting thing.

Kate's speech about grieving hit close to home...as I am still grieving the loss of someone....and Stallone was a great surprise...but the thing I loved was Kevin's line about comedy writers never seeing the sun..and Kate's dig that they all were sad and pasty.

I am regular reader of Ken Levine's blog. His a writer and director of some storied sitcoms(MASH,CHEERS< FRASIER).....Last year, he took the writers to task for Kevin's meltdown scene in a blistering blog post....and I swear some of the writers took a couple of shots at him with those "writer" comments. I laughed because I know Ken will respond...so the next few days should yield some interesting things....

• Love 9

I thought Miguel and his first wife (Shelley?) had two kids. 

And I don't think I was quite supposed to be squicked out at the implication that Miguel/Shelley were having problems leading to divorce at or around the same time Jack/Rebecca were having problems, but I was.

• Love 1

Kevin's teeth were so freakishly white that was all I could think about in the scene with Kate in the trailer. It was so distracting. Like they'd been painted. 

Rebecca and Jack were heartbreaking. 

Edited by Crankybroad
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Crankybroad said:

Kevin's teeth were so freakishly white that was all I could think about in the scene with Kate in the trailer. It was so distracting. Like they'd been painted. 

Yup! Super Tan & White Teeth. He didn’t look like he was in combat but he looked good. LOL!!!!

• Love 6

This was the first good episode of the season, partly for getting into some Kevin backstory that hasn't been done to death. And no Toby!

Of course Jack adopts a stray dog! It doesn't have to be new to the family when he dies, so we could still be a year or two out. I wonder what they name it.

Deja's reaction to the dad coming into the room was heart-breaking. She's probably not known men who don't hit her when they're angry. Randall and Beth will of course end up adopting her.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Cardie said:

Of course Jack adopts a stray dog! It doesn't have to be new to the family when he dies, so we could still be a year or two out. I wonder what they name it.

Rocky ? *g

• Love 19

Great episode for Kevin, got some insight on his suppression of his dad's death. Also foreshadowing of him getting the Pearson addict gene, being the most like Jack. Which would also fit with his lifestyle since Kevin is a huge celebrity and can get as much drugs/alcohol he wants. The fact he didn't have a problem before now is actually the surprising thing.

I loved the girls with Deja more than anything. Beth bringing out the baby monitor. lol Love Beth.  Would have been more interesting to me if they got a teenage boy dynamic in the house though instead of another girl. 

Liked the lack of love interests for Kevin and Kate appearing. No Miguel too! That's always a plus.

I found the younger Rebecca and Miguel's wife lunch eating scene to seem more modern than 20 years ago. Sipping wine, eating a big salad at an outdoor patio? I remembered it wasn't present time when I saw the car Rebecca was driving to "Jack Pearson" Jack.

• Love 5

"I love it when you cook your feelings!"  I need to start a notebook with my favorite lines from the show.

NotRandall'sRealMom played Randi, the hardass desk clerk on ER.

Deja's name was kind of laying it on with a thematic trowel for this series.  I hope they get out from under it.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 10

And now we get to watch Kevin have a pill addiction.

For the first time I wanted this episode to stay present day. I'm so over Rebecca and cannot stand the way Milo speaks when he's 1990's Jack.

• Love 4

I love Sly Stallone. Rocky, how I cried when he yelled, Adrian!! Jack and I would have gotten along just fine.

Poor Kevin, he's carrying his own memories regarding Jack, and I'd say they are setting him up for an addiction storyline. 

Randall and Deja, perfect, not too much, just perfect. 

His daughters, especially the youngest, are adorable, and how nice to see Willam :) Good show, just so damn good..

• Love 9

Sipping wine, eating a big salad at an outdoor patio?

Not sure about the sipping wine part, but Elaine Benes on "Seinfeld" noshed on big salads back in the 90s. And while watching that scene, I couldn't help feeling self conscious for the actors. I'd be worrying about lettuce getting caught between my teeth.

• Love 4

I liked this more than the first two episodes this season. Well, "liked" is a bit inaccurate. Almost every scene was still a downer. But I liked this episode more because the characters seemed more likable. The drama was coming from good characters experiencing difficult situations rather than annoying characters creating drama from doing dumb things. I hope the writers give us more of this.

• Love 7

Loved the episode so much. Annie and William got me bad, but I also loved the scene where the three teens actually seemed to enjoy each other's company. 

My favourite characteristic of Kate is her excellent memory of everyone's resumes and career history. I like seeing that play out with Stallone.

• Love 7