Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Proposal Proposal

That end was a pleasant surprise. Expecting a huge cat fight between Amy and Ramona, but instead Amy hugs for inadvertently getting Sheldon to realize he only wanted to kiss Amy,

Also glad that Amy wasn't too upset about the kiss because Sheldon wasn't an active participant. 

Howard and Bernadette getting pregnant again so soon? Yikes.

• Love 16

I wonder what the point of Bernadette  getting pregnant again is?  I mean in real life stuff just happens.  But, TV, there's usually a reason.  I wonder if it's to make Leonard and Penny break up.

• Love 2

The engagement scene was cute. I still think Sheldon's an ass, and that Amy deserves better, but whatever.

Good grief, Wolowitzes, birth control.

Raj's line to Ramona "This is your last chance...to date me" made me cringe. 11 years later, still the same awkward creep he was on day one.

• Love 11

It was nice to see that the reaction to Howard and Bernie having another baby wasn't that everything was awesome but that having two babies close together like that is really, really hard. Even though they managed to be funny about it I thought it was a very true-to-life reaction. And I love that Leonard and Penny mutually forgot their anniversary. For that matter, what would they consider to be their anniversary? Given the numbers of break-ups and make-ups along with the fact that they held two different wedding ceremonies they have several dates to choose from.

• Love 20
18 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

The engagement scene was cute. I still think Sheldon's an ass, and that Amy deserves better, but whatever.

I loved the scene. Partially because Jim and Mayim are such great performers and partially because it was really well written and mostly because I'm a big old sap.

18 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Raj's line to Ramona "This is your last chance...to date me" made me cringe. 11 years later, still the same awkward creep he was on day one.

Yeah that was the most disappointing part of this episode. I hope that it's just setting up some actual character growth and change, but I'm afraid that like the rest of the episode it was establishing the rest of the season's plot line for each character. Come on guys it's not funny anymore. You can leave Stuart pathetic, but please please please let's do something else with Raj.

Edited by wknt3
typos :-(
  • Love 13

I found it predictable. 

I called Stephan Hawking being asked for permission. 

I'm tired of Sheldon being horrible to Amy, who could do so much better than him. Seriously, there are guys who would love her, and not need to be the center of attention and not act like a spoiled toddler. 

The Bernadette-Howard thing was actually funny, but a bit sad. I know it was required because of the actress, but it still felt cute, even if it was a bit tired. 

Wow, Sheldon is engaged, Leonard is married, Howard is married, with a second kid on the way, all three just did a high level government contract, and Raj is still a loser. Really sad. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, dungeonwriter said:

Wow, Sheldon is engaged, Leonard is married, Howard is married, with a second kid on the way, all three just did a high level government contract, and Raj is still a loser. Really sad. 

The problem is that they've coupled everyone off and can't afford to bring in another full-time actress to couple RAj off with and they don't know what to do with him.  If possible they should have written him off and sent him back to India.  Because, no offense to the actor, but he's just dead weight at this point.  On a half hour (18 minute) show , they don't have time for 3 couples and a single guy.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

No, no.  He's now an awkward creep who can actually talk to women.  He was more palatable before he could.

Actually, according to Howard, Raj has always been a douchebag, women just couldn't hear him.

43 minutes ago, lilabennet said:

I can't stand Amy.  This is why I can't watch Young Sheldon: I would spend the entire time thinking, "You poor child.  Your future is Amy.

And I feel bad for Amy -- saddled with an eternal selfish prick for the rest of her life.

• Love 15

I loved the final episode of last season, and I thought this was an equally strong episode.  (Even if I did easily guess that Stephen Hawking was going to be the person to whom Sheldon was referring.)  The whole proposal scene was great, and so in character.  Amy mostly knows exactly what she's getting herself into with Sheldon, but she loves him anyway.  And Sheldon is crazy about Amy... and even though he will probably always be a work in progress, I love how he tries for her.   Also, it's always wonderful to see Mary Cooper, and she didn't disappoint here either.

I did not expect Howard and Bernadette to be expecting again.  Although it's understandable if the actress is pregnant, and probably pretty realistic that these things happy fairly often.  The scene in which Howard found out was pretty hilarious and well-acted.

The S/A makeup scene was great too, and I love seeing that kind of personal growth from Sheldon.   He really has come a long way since he met Amy, hasn't he?  Even though he can act like a jerk some times, he still strives to be better for her, and I really feel like they are made for each other.

I didn't expect the hug at the end, although I suppose I should have.  Dr. Nowitski was the best thing that could have happened, lighting a fire under Shelly and giving him clarity about his feelings for Amy.  I wonder if we'll see the character again, now that she's fulfilled her purpose?

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 11

gee, Mayim is one of my favorite characters on this show.  I look forward to her scenes. 

I thought that the forgotten anniversary is the perfect symbol for the eh relationship between Penny and Leonard.  I was falling off my chair when Bernie and JHowie were trying to make them com,mit to having a baby, so funny. 

• Love 8

For what it's worth, this past May I wished my parents a happy 33rd anniversary and am 90% sure neither of them remembered it until I brought it up. They forget their anniversary so often it's something of a running joke in our family. Penny and Leonard have such a nice comfortableness to their relationship. I don't see what's wrong with it, honestly.

I've been on the Shamy boat since day one and was squeeing through the ceiling, but I also bust a gut laughing at Howard and Bernie reacting to the news of such a quick second child. Simon Helberg is such a treasure!

My sister has a baby that I think must be about the same age as Halley (almost 8 months now) and she's told me more than once that her worst nightmare is getting pregnant again too soon. Even though my nephew is an astoundingly awesome baby, the "fourth trimester" was really hard on my sister and her boyfriend. Having to face it again so soon is a daunting prospect.

• Love 8

Sheldon is a big selfish douche to Amy yet Raj gets all the hate.  If Raj was lucky enough to have an Amy come into his life he'd be all set.  The problem is why the show didn't go down that road sooner when it could afford to do it.  There were at least three women they could have easily written him working out with, but they chose not to.  I just saw a repeat of the episode with the veterinarian that gave Raj her phone number.  Nothing ever came of that.  Why?  It's so maddening.

Did anyone read the Chuck Lorre end card?  He hinted around that something romantic happening with Raj is not in the cards and "that's what reunion shows are for" whatever that means.  Or it could just be the way I read it.

That said, I'm starting to see the boredom that people have been talking about between Leonard and Penny.  I wonder if that's going to result in anything or if the show is pushing that as their version of "happy".

I also think that the stars are really starting to show their age this season.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

A part of me wishes they would just make Raj & Stuart a gay couple since they really don't know what to do with either  that doesn't come off as them being douchey  or creepy,

I'd actually like that. They'd be good for each other. Raj needs to be needed, and Stuart is needy, but is also a good caretaker. Both love Halley, they could be really happy. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I also think that the stars are really starting to show their age this season.

Is that an issue? I think apart from Penny who is supposed to be in the early thirties, the others characters are supposed to be in the late thirties. I think Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik are in their 40s, and Kaley Cuoco is 30 something. So the age gap between the characters they play and them are not that big.

• Love 9

Loved the episode! I'm glad Sheldon understood his mistake, but I also think Amy should have seen it coming and set some guidelines before the dinner. He's an ass, sometimes, and that's on him, I'm not denying it. But other times, he just can't help it. 

I had no idea being single was such an awful fate. Personally I don't think Raj's single status is reason enough for him to leave the show.  I do agree he needs better stories, though.

I like Penny and I like Leonard, but I never shipped them and I still don't. 

• Love 11

I think this is the first time we've actually got a mention of Amy's father actually still being alive.  I was beginning to think that maybe he wasn't.  At some point I think the show will have to have him on screen, if only for him to meet and interact with his (future) son-in-law in the flesh (and cast a guest star for sweeps).

• Love 5
7 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I was falling off my chair when Bernie and JHowie were trying to make them com,mit to having a baby, so funny. 

This was funny to me, too, because I've actually had this happen to me a few times in my life when friends/family were having babies.  They literally wanted me to get pregnant too so we could do it together.  They were always at the wrong times too.  Either I was too young or I was done with having kids.

• Love 1

For what it's worth, this past May I wished my parents a happy 33rd anniversary and am 90% sure neither of them remembered it until I brought it up. 

I texted a friend around lunch time on her 36th birthday.  She was hanging out with her parents when she read it and in a startled voice said to them,"Today's my birthday!"  All three of them had forgotten. Not to mention that she's a twin and her twin hadn't called her.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Good grief, Wolowitzes, birth control.

amy deserves much better. she is going to regret it someday. in real life, divorce would be imminent. she's too smart to be saddled with his b.s. .hard to believe she couldn't find a fellow scientist to fall for besides one who has so many issues. i would feel like i had a child instead of husband. way too needy and emotionally absent. why do they make her look so very frumpy ?

wolowitzes are idiots. they are suppose to be super smart people and they don't know you can get pregnant while breast feeding and don't use protection?

raj is portrayed as a fool also. this has become the sheldon show anyway. and it's too much as far as i'm concerned.

now there is a spin off , which i haven't watched yet.

Edited by msrachelj
spelling
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

The problem is not that Raj is single, but that he's so miserable about it, and resentful of his friends. That's what's making his character a drag. I think it might be fun if Raj just gave in and let his parents arrange something. He could have an Indian wife and they could have all sorts of story lines about their culture clash. At least it would give him something to do besides whine. 

I agree that it's OK for him to be single.  The problem is that he is constantly just being the third wheel and has nothing going on in his own life, as far as we know. Even focusing on him finally becoming an independent adult would be something.  As long as he doesn't whine through the entire process.

1 minute ago, msrachelj said:

wolowitzes are idiots. theres are suppose to be super smart people and they don't know you can get pregnant while breast feeding and don't use protection?

They said 3 times at different points that they had been careful.  So, I think there was more to the birth control than just that she was breastfeeding.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, useryikes said:

The season premiere was OK.  I still find the characters funny.  I'd like to see more of Sheldon's mother, though.  She kills me!

i wish there were more of her too. maybe one episode a month. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I agree that it's OK for him to be single.  The problem is that he is constantly just being the third wheel and has nothing going on in his own life, as far as we know. Even focusing on him finally becoming an independent adult would be something.  As long as he doesn't whine through the entire process.

They said 3 times at different points that they had been careful.  So, I think there was more to the birth control than just that she was breastfeeding.

penny said something like " i thought you couldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding?" and bernadette said "apparently not". i  assumed if she thought that, there was no other protection. what do they mean by being careful? careful is birth control. pulling out, etc. on the other hand is not being careful.

16 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

wolowitzes are idiots. theres are suppose to be super smart people and they don't know you can get pregnant while breast feeding and don't use protection?

My son is an engineer and his wife is a teacher.  Trust me they aren't idiots :).  But they are expecting again and they definitely weren't planning on it!  I've no intention of asking what form of birth control they were practicing (definitely TMI for a Mom!!) but I am very confident they were making an effort not to have another baby so soon.  BTW they're thrilled about it now - and have made their peace with the idea of having two children so quickly.  It means they're done with the baby stage sooner -- well providing they figure out where they went wrong with the birth control this time of course :).

• Love 10

Re the pregnancy: It happens, even if you are being careful. Since the actress is pregnant, I don't have a problem with them throwing this curve at us.  I do feel sorry for Bernadette not being able to drink for another 9 months (yes, I know she's a fictional character!).

• Love 12
13 hours ago, anna0852 said:

And I love that Leonard and Penny mutually forgot their anniversary. For that matter, what would they consider to be their anniversary? Given the numbers of break-ups and make-ups along with the fact that they held two different wedding ceremonies they have several dates to choose from.

I laughed hard at that too. My DH and I technically have two wedding anniversaries (we got legally married one day and had our ceremony a different day) so between that and general chaos in our lives this year, we both forgot until something popped up on my husband's Facebook "on this day" thing. I got a text from him that said "Facebook reminded me that it was our anniversary....oops!" We were already planning on celebrating a few weeks later when we were travelling to visit family and would have someone to watch our kid so the actual dates of our anniversary slipped both of our minds. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

penny said something like " i thought you couldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding?" and bernadette said "apparently not". i  assumed if she thought that, there was no other protection. what do they mean by being careful? careful is birth control. pulling out, etc. on the other hand is not being careful.

She said, "well guess what, you can."  But, I don't think that meant that she didn't know it was possible before that.  She was just telling Penny she was rong because she was frustrated at being pregnant.  She wouldn't have said "we were careful" twice and Howard say it once, if they were just relying on the lower chance of getting pregnant during breastfeeding.  Even if you thought that meant it was 100% impossible, you wouldn't call that being "careful" because it would just be circumstances.

• Love 8

The Hawking appearance was the best use ever....and not just that Sheldon called for permission. "You do understand that that is the definition of irony"..."Still waiting for it". Very clever

While I miss skeevy Howard and we can call it growth, it is too bad that we still get arrogant and sad sack Raj. They really do need him to do something other than be sad and awkwardly hit on women.

I would prefer a loooooootttttt less Stuart-every few episodes is more than enough.

On the other hand, Laurie Metcalf is a comic genius and they know how to write for her, but again, I think a little Mary Cooper goes a long way. We will see if I am right with a full 30 minutes of Young Sheldon every week!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wonder what the point of Bernadette  getting pregnant again is?  I mean in real life stuff just happens.  But, TV, there's usually a reason.  I wonder if it's to make Leonard and Penny break up.

I think you are considering this too deeply

Mostly its because the writers are out of ideas so are just rehashing the same story as before. 

It was an OK episode.  More Sheldon acts like a jerk, learns a lesson he should have learned when he was a kid.....

Rinse, repeat....

Still not really any storylines for Leonard and Penny.  They just play off everyone else. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I just saw a repeat of the episode with the veterinarian that gave Raj her phone number.  Nothing ever came of that.  Why?  It's so maddening.

In the little we saw of Yvette the Vet, it seems she was the girl best suited for Raj.  So OOC for him not to follow-up after getting her phone number.  I'm holding out hope that somewhere between now and next season she re-surfaces, Raj finally grows up, and he gets his HEA just like everyone else (except Stuart, Lorre's obligatory lifelong loser character).

45 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I truly think the actor playing Howard is underrated as a comedienne.  I have grown to appreciate him and think he is the funniest and most talented actor on the show. 

This to the zillionth power.  Despite all the Jim Parsons love, I've felt for a long time that Simon is truly this show's MVP.  If you ever watch Johnny Galecki closely, every once in a while he struggles not to break character during some of Simon's funniest moments.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

More Sheldon acts like a jerk, learns a lesson he should have learned when he was a kid.....

This right here is why I'm reluctant to even try watching Young Sheldon.  To be true to BBT they'd have to be showing us why Sheldon grew up to be the kind of man he is - or I guess I mean the kind of man he was and can still be - and frankly that would just be sad!  If they're not doing that but instead are showing loving, caring parents and a Sheldon who is getting lots of support and guidance well I just don't know how that can possibly be reconciled with the Sheldon we meet when BBT started.

• Love 2

The best part was Howard finding out about the new baby. The show's getting a bit tired but those two actors are good together. And yes, you can pregnant that quick. I have a cousin, she had twins, got pregnant again when they were two months ago, the third baby was a preemie (3 months early but he's fine), so she had three kids born in the same year. BTW, she got her tubes tied while she was still in hospital after number three

• Love 12
7 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

Is that an issue? I think apart from Penny who is supposed to be in the early thirties, the others characters are supposed to be in the late thirties. I think Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik are in their 40s, and Kaley Cuoco is 30 something. So the age gap between the characters they play and them are not that big.

Why do you ask if it's an issue?  It's just an observation, actually.  I know how old the actors and their characters are.

I watch repeats of this show all the time and to me they all seem to look like they've aged more significantly between this season and last than between other seasons.  That's just my subjective observation.  YMMV.

8 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

A part of me wishes they would just make Raj & Stuart a gay couple since they really don't know what to do with either  that doesn't come off as them being douchey  or creepy,

I personally don't like taking characters that have been presented as straight for a long time and turning them gay.  It really doesn't work that way IRL anymore anyway as people usually know what they are by their ages and aren't that repressed for so long.  Not saying it doesn't still happen, especially to people that might be as un-self aware as Raj's character, and after all the years of innuendo on this show about him being a little effeminate,  but to me it would still seem somewhat contrived as a plot device on this show.

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think you are considering this too deeply

Mostly its because the writers are out of ideas so are just rehashing the same story as before. 

It was an OK episode.  More Sheldon acts like a jerk, learns a lesson he should have learned when he was a kid.....

Rinse, repeat....

Still not really any storylines for Leonard and Penny.  They just play off everyone else. 

It's mostly because Mellisa Rauch is pregnant IRL as has been mentioned previously.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Not saying it doesn't still happen, especially to people that might be as un-self aware as Raj's character, and after all the years of innuendo on this show about him being a little effeminate,  but to me it would still seem somewhat contrived as a plot device on this show.

Especially since they've already explored this as a possibility - both in the way they portrayed Howard and Raj's friendship time after time and in the way Raj's own parents told him they would "love him and respect his alternative lifestyle".  Making Raj gay now would just be an insult and a way of telling those who still insist that homosexuality is a choice that they're right!

• Love 5