Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Teebax - I am right there with you about Earth, Wind and Fire.  Love all their stuff and September is my go to song when I need to brighten up my day.

My birthday is 9/29, so I always change the lyrics to "Do you remember? The 29th day of September...."

Now that's going to be stuck in my head all day... "ba dee aah dee ahh dee ahh..."

1 hour ago, SuperCam1 said:

I can't believe Ryan is still here with his bad guessing and terrible daily double wagering he got to have a horseshoe up his behind.

The board jumping alone is enough to make me stabby.

• Love 8

I missed the puppy story due to Jeopardy not airing in my area that day (and I haven't had a chance to look at it elsewhere), but the description here makes me not like Ryan. Plus, I'm also frustrated by tourists climbing around on amazing structures that get destroyed by such traffic. (While I'm a cultural anthropologist, I'm an archaeology groupie with a side of heritage management fascination.)

I don't remember why I first heard that Ore-Ida is because of Oregon and Idaho, but it was in the last few years, so FJ was an insta-get. I spent the rest of the time trying to figure out if I could guess the city (or at least county) for the plant as I currently live in Oregon and spend a lot of time looking at county maps of this state.

• Love 6

It was hilarious that no one knew a single football clue. I don't think I've ever seen all three contestants completely silent through a whole category. (Bad guesses, yes.) In fairness to them, I wouldn't have known those questions either. But there's generally been at least one one sports buff contestant. 

Weird that the English teacher missed FJ and the lawyer couldn't come up with "indigent." I got Lawrence of Arabia, tabbouleh, Althea Gibson, atomic clock (missed DD), indigent, Six Feet Under, and Ugly Betty (missed DD).

No idea about FJ until Alex quoted Truman Capote (I think) saying "That's not writing, that's typing" about Kerouac. I thought of E.B. White and William Faulkner.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Alex quoted Truman Capote (I think) saying "That's not writing, that's typing" about Kerouac.

I thought it was Hemingway, not Capote. I, too, thought Faulkner.   ETA: Just googled....you were right---Capote.

Edited by illdoc
Google
  • Love 1

Dammit, Justin, you let us down!  A real chance to rid us of Ryan, and you blew it!  Mind you, I didn't know FJ either, but still!

I don't know much about football, but I do know that Landry and Cowboys were basically synonymous for a very long time.  That TS surprised me, though it probably shouldn't have.  I also got the football TS of fair catch and offsetting penalties.  That was just a sad category.  Other TS I got were Lawrence of Arabia, tabbouleh, titanium, non-partisan, indigent, Six Feet Under, and Ugly Betty.

I didn't like the tie Alex wore with that suit -- I liked them each well enough individually, but I didn't think they went well together.

• Love 8

Well, annoying as he is, Ryan is pretty good player and risky with his wagers, which is always fun to see. The football stumper category was hilarious. I didn't get any of them either. I got Lawrence of Arabia, tabouleh, Althea Gibson and indigent. Peter O'Toole was so great, so fully formed as an actor in Lawrence of Arabia that people forget it was his film debut, although like so many Brit actors, he had spent time on the stage. Poor Althea Gibson. Forgotten already.

I was stumped on FJ at first but then got Kerouac at the last second. I wouldn't have had time to write it down. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5

I was all about Justin when he was introduced standing there in his suit and bow tie. Nice. Very nice. I was rooting for him to go all the way, dang it. At least Ryan got rid of the pleather, but the damage has been done. The football category was historic, I've never seen all players stand mute for an entire category. I strongly dislike football and would never let one be broadcast on any tv in my house, but I did know Landry was with the Dallas Cowboys. Some things just sink in whether you plan on it or not. I got Lawrence of Arabia (maybe because I remember my mom loving that movie starting that handsome man), non-partisan and Ugly Betty. I didn't even try for FJ. Sort of like Justin didn't.

• Love 3

I did laugh at how awful they did in the football category. I know nothing about football either, but I knew enough to realize that if they couldn't get Tom Landry's team, they weren't going to get anything.

• Love 13
On 1/30/2018 at 9:48 PM, saber5055 said:

One last question: What is a banker? Ryan is a banker, but does that mean he is a teller, a CEO, bank president, money trader or what?

We got the answer to that! 

8 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It was hilarious that no one knew a single football clue. I don't think I've ever seen all three contestants completely silent through a whole category. (Bad guesses, yes.) In fairness to them, I wouldn't have known those questions either. But there's generally been at least one one sports buff contestant. 

Weird that the English teacher missed FJ and the lawyer couldn't come up with "indigent." I got Lawrence of Arabia, tabbouleh, Althea Gibson, atomic clock (missed DD), indigent, Six Feet Under, and Ugly Betty (missed DD).

I would have aced that football category. I got those along with titanium and non-partisan.  

"Homely Boop" could have been the end for Ryan, but he managed to pull out a win. I said Faulkner too, 

• Love 3

As a football fan, I was not happy to see that all three contestants football knowledge completely missed the uprights. I mean, to not even know the Dallas Cowboys? That’s practically un-American! I ran that category for sure! 

Ok, rant over. I usually DVR the episodes so I skip over the interviews. I didn’t know anything about the dog story till I read it on here. I agree Ryan is a smug twerp, but now he’s a completely unlikeable smug twerp. He definitely knows how to play the game though. 

Besides the football category, I got Lawrence of Arabia, tabouleh, Althea Gibson, indigent, thirtysomething (loved watching that show in the 80’s) and DD of Ugly Betty. FJ was easy when I thought music=beat, then it was a short hop to Beat Generation and Jack Kerouac. 

• Love 6

Ryan, you're a wanker not a banker.  I worked in a bank once, too, and I didn't consider myself a banker.  Jerk.  Of course Justin lost because I was rooting for him.

OMG!  I ran the football category - none of them were that hard.  Geesh!  I also got Lawrence of Arabia, tabouli, atomic clock (DD), titanium, indigent, Six Feet Under, and Ugly Betty (DD).

For FJ I guessed Langston Hughes because today's his birthday and February is Black History Month.  From Wikipedia - "He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form called jazz poetry.". So the reference to jazz made me think of him.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
Because spelling counts.
  • Love 15

If the football category had been Art History or Poetry, I wonder if Alex would’ve laughed so much at all the TS’s.  

I thought they marked off for spelling in FJ??  I swear someone recently missed FJ due to spelling?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ErinV said:

I thought they marked off for spelling in FJ??  I swear someone recently missed FJ due to spelling?

Only if it changes the pronunciation.  However Ryan spelled Kerouac, it was still pronounced the same.

• Love 6

Good Golly Miss Molly!  The total non-knowledge of the football category!  Dallas Cowboys for years were called "America's Team", they were talked about all the time.   And I'm so old I remember the "Purple People Eaters" Vikings :)  And nobody knew "Lawrence of Arabia" for the Peter O'Toole clue?!  I saw that movie 7 times!  I was young and "in love" with Peter O'Toole :)

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I worked in a bank once, too, and I didn't consider myself a banker.

That's like people thinking that if you work in a library, you're a librarian. (I do and I'm not)

On 1/29/2018 at 6:56 PM, saber5055 said:

Hey, there is a Paris and a Versailles in Kentucky.

Late to the party, but there is also a Paris and Versailles (Versales) in Missouri.

• Love 3

It was definitely Capote talking about Kerouac in the "That's not writing, it's typing" quote.  Considering that Capote spent the last couple of decades of his life lying about writing a book he wasn't working on, that becomes a little ironic in hindsight.  He could've stood to do a bit more typing himself.

I want to get a T-shirt that says "Coming at you like an ex-president" on it.  The sooner the better.  ;o)

That shot of Peter O'Toole in Arabian garb, astride a camel, his ice-blue eyes boring holes in the camera . . . I need a moment.  Not one of them knew that?

• Love 11

How much longer must we suffer? That woman was too good to lose to the likes of The Fenster, and I liked Justin too.

A picture of Ray Charles and the clue is about blindness. *sigh*  For TS I got Lawrence of Arabia, tabbouleh, all the football clues except "option play" (never heard of that), Althea Gibson, Matthew Henson, and non-partisan, and the missed Ugly Betty DD while chanting "Missitmissitmissitmissit" to The Fenster.

For FJ I guessed Langston Hughes because today's his birthday and February is Black History Month.  From Wikipedia - "He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form called jazz poetry.". So the reference to jazz made me think of him.

I guessed Langston Hughes as well. Forgot all about the Beats.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 7

Put me in with the crowd that said Langston Hughes for FJ.

I ran the football category, though, so that's something. I also got Althea Gibson, titanium, nonpartisan, Six Feet Under, and thirtysomething.

Edited by helpmerhonda
grammar
  • Love 3

As someone who lives for football season, I'm fairly intrigued they stumbled upon three contestants who neither knew, nor studied in preparation for competing, some basic things, not to mention could not simply read the words of one clue and discern "offsetting."  The Cowboys clue being a TS gave me a good laugh, though, since I fucking hate the Cowboys and the "America's Team" bullshit; not so much if none of the three could come up with it.

I can't believe no one came up with non-partisan, especially when one contestant got them most of the way there by guessing bi-partisan - complete with Alex pausing to consider if that was close enough.  I got some other stumpers, too (including the TV shows and FJ), but those and Lawrence of Arabia were the ones that surprised me.

• Love 7

I can't believe none of them knew a single of those football answers. 

I don't even think a single one of them ventured a guess did they?

And they weren't hard, every one of those for even a casual football fan, except maybe purple people eaters, was a 2 foot putt. 

Got FJ.  The year and the jazz comparison seemed pretty obvious to me they were hinting at Keroac. 

• Love 3

I just watched six episodes in a row to catch up. I pop in here to find that Ryan isn’t popular, but [small voice] I rather like him.[/small voice] Then again, I always DVR the show so I skip everything other than the questions.

I am a lifelong football fan, but I found their complete ignorance pretty hilarious since they were all quite rueful about it. 

I got a lot of TS, but picked the wrong Beatnik—went with Burroughs instead of Kerouac. 

• Love 8

Dammit! When will this national nightmare end???

Did the Carson mansion in the Geography 101 category belong to Kit?

Dr. Toothbrush ran the football category and thought it was funny that the whole category was a TS.

TS I got were Lawrence of Arabia, Cowboys, fair catch, Henson, Ruby Bridges, atomic clock (Sara's missed DD), non-partisan, indigent, Ugly Betty (Ryan's missed DD). We said Ginsberg for FJ. Kerouac seemed too obvious, although after Ore-Ida yesterday, I guess obvious is the new black for FJ. 

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Dammit, Justin, you let us down!  A real chance to rid us of Ryan, and you blew it!  Mind you, I didn't know FJ either, but still!

I didn't like the tie Alex wore with that suit -- I liked them each well enough individually, but I didn't think they went well together.

And he was so nice to look at.

I said the same thing about Alex's tie. Dr. Toothbrush said he looked liked a gangster. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

OMG!  I ran the football category - none of them were that hard. 

I didn’t watch last night’s show but I did see Jeopardy’s! mocking Twitter post about the football category and I can’t believe I'm going to do this but...

Tom Landry was run out of town by that dick Jerry Jones 30ish years ago, so if you don’t know football, you are going to have no idea who he coached, especially if you’re younger.

And the Purple People Eaters were forty years ago.

You can be taught art history in school, but football is generally not taught to the masses.  So if you don’t watch, offsetting penalties or a fair catch has absolutely no meaning to you.

Now if they did have a football class at a university, I would take it immediately.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Not really, but my husband thinks if you put the costume on - he's the model for Waldo of Where's Waldo fame. Down to the goofy smile.

Yes!  Thank your husband for me. 

10 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Even I, a 60 year old female who has NEVER watched a football game, knew Tom Landry coached the Cowboys

I knew it from watching, "King of the Hill."

I'm going to start keeping track of the number of times "Jeopardy!" references the Harry Potter books.  It's more than Shakespeare.

• Love 5

I had family members who were big Dallas fans back in the day so I knew Landry.  I have to say I would not have rung in for any of the other football clues either.  I will watch the occasional game but have never gotten into the mechanics of the play.  Alex's reactions this week have been priceless. 

• Love 3

I'm always thrilled when the stupid Cowboys is a triple stumper. I was a kid when Landry coached. I only remember him for his suit and hat. Nowadays football coaches all dress like crap. I wish they'd wear suits instead of workout gear. 

It is unusual not to have one contestant who can answer a sports question, but I thought it was hilarious. I'd have been less amused if they didn't get to the category, which I ran. (Go Eagles!)  

My other gets were Althea Gibson, Ugly Betty, thirty something, and Matthew Henson. This English teacher missed FJ. I guessed F. Scott Fitzgerald with little confidence. 

I thought Ryan was tolerable again, so either he's inconsistent or I am. I was rooting for Justin though. 

• Love 5

I was watching with my dad, and we're huge football fans, so we were outraged and screaming every answer like the clue had asked what color the sky is lol.  "Off-setting penalties, you morons!!  Off-setting penalties!!!  How do you not know that?!"  Perhaps we were a bit overzealous....

• Love 9
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For FJ I guessed Langston Hughes because today's his birthday and February is Black History Month. 

At first I said Langston Hughes, but when the clue referred to Invisible Man, I knew it wasn't him, but I couldn't come up with Ralph Ellison before Justin said it.

From Wikipedia - "He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form called jazz poetry.". So the reference to jazz made me think of him.

The jazz line made me think of improv and stream-of-consciousness. Still, I came up with Kerouac.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Only if it changes the pronunciation.  However Ryan spelled Kerouac, it was still pronounced the same.

Could he have written Care-oh-wack and gotten credit?

The only football question I got was Dallas Cowboys. I "knew" all of the them but couldn't come out with them. Anyway, that was pretty funny. This week Alex has actually been making me laugh, in a good way.

I also got Lawrence of Arabia (young Peter O'Toole... sigh), nonpartisan, and the DD of Ugly Betty. Instead of Althea Gibson, I first said Wilma Rudolph, but then I knew that wasn't right.

I'm not bugged by Ryan like many of you. I wouldn't say I'm rooting for him, but he's ok.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

Ryan, you're a wanker not a banker.  I worked in a bank once, too, and I didn't consider myself a banker.  Jerk. 

In keeping with that comment... Before the show, I was thinking about wtf kind of banker he could be and decided he was the receptionist at a sperm bank.  Wanker, indeed.

I was laughing my head off over the football category. I'd have been in the same boat. (I wish I could literally laugh my ass off. I've tried, but the huge thing's still there.)

• Love 18
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes!  Thank your husband for me. 

I did, and he said he's unsure of how he feels about his comment being out here- because it was a little mean. He's a sweet guy.

7 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I just watched six episodes in a row to catch up. I pop in here to find that Ryan isn’t popular, but [small voice] I rather like him.[/small voice] Then again, I always DVR the show so I skip everything other than the questions.

So do I. :)

So, has there ever been a category where each question was a triple stumper? I don't remember ever hearing that much silence in a game before. I have to admit, even knowing a little football, I didn't get many - it did seem like the clues didn't have the extra clue for those who don't really know the subject but can figure it out.

Okay, I'm clueless about banking. So what is a banker? I looked it up on Merriam Webster and got a circular definition (banker:  - one who engages in the  business of banking) (banking: the business of a bank or banker) It doesn't seem like that (very) limited definition precludes Ryan from being called a banker for being the fault manager (did I hear that right?).  I don't actually recall hearing him being referred to as a banker (at least by his own words), but I do miss things sometimes.

I didn't get Kerouac. Somehow as a lit major I completely avoided him. So I didn't think about him at all.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That shot of Peter O'Toole in Arabian garb, astride a camel, his ice-blue eyes boring holes in the camera . . . I need a moment.  Not one of them knew that?

I knew Peter O'Toole played Lawrence of Arabia, but I had no idea it was his first movie!  What an auspicious debut!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I knew Peter O'Toole played Lawrence of Arabia, but I had no idea it was his first movie!  What an auspicious debut!

It was his first American movie. He did have a couple of non-lead parts in minor British films in about 1960 or 1961, before Lawrence. But definitely it was Lawrence that introduced him to the film-goers of the world, and how!

OK, I'm probably mildly obsessed if I know that... :)

I would have stood there mute during the football category too. Have never watched a game of American football in my life, and barely recognize the team names from the occasional "go x!" posts of my Facebook friends. Ask me tennis or figure skating questions (hard ones!) instead.

I seem to be more tolerant of personal tics, varying game strategies, and lame interview stories than some; I rarely think anything other than "good for you!" about contestants (either for making it on the show or for winning their game). Although I do wish Ryan could have reassured us about the pyramid puppy. Presumably he mentioned it to the keepers of the site when he got to the bottom.

As for Alex, he gets all sorts of passes from me just for still being so involved and articulate after all these years, and for being a generally nice expatriate Canadian gentleman. Even if he is a bit given to social awkwardness...  (I find him a lot less plastic that his "genial" Wheel of Fortune counterpart).

• Love 8

I was also stumped by the football category but I got Ugly Betty and atomic clock. I actually guessed Capote for FJ and now I know not only was I wrong but I was really, really wrong. Like in the opposite direction wrong. 

I neither like nor dislike Ryan but I will say that I liked that he immediately shook the other contestants hands after the game. I think it's up to the winner to reach out to his or her competitors after winning, so I appreciate when I see that. A lot of people just sit up there on the stage like they are by themselves.

• Love 5

Chicago radio station WGN played the Jeopardy missed-football category clip this morning, and replayed some parts while they made fun of the contestants. The show host said Jeopardy regularly makes you feel bad about yourself, so now all his listeners could feel better driving to work.

• Love 6

Will  no one rid me of this smug-ass twerp?!?!

Damn it, Justin, even I figured out it was Kerouac.  Why the hell couldn't you?

I got the Dallas Cowboys - old enough to remember the Tom Landry era, but the rest of that category might just as well have been in Greek.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I couldn't pull Althea Gibson out of the recesses of my brain, although I knew exactly who she was, and I didn't get atomic clock or Six Feet Under.  I did get all the rest, as well as non-partisan and Matthew Henson, whom I usually confuse with someone else but didn't for a change.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

OK, I actually enjoyed Alex's humorous scorn at the football questions going silent.  I think that was my favorite moment in all the eons I've been a Jeopardy fan.  The only football game I have attended was one back in high school, and it is at the top of my list of "things I've done and never have to do again." I did know the Dallas cowboys because I live there, but there are many of us out here who don't give a fig for sports and we've managed to live full lives.

I misread the final jeopardy website yesterday because I thought it said there was a new champion.Darn.....

You did at least get the Cowboys. 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Could he have written Care-oh-wack and gotten credit?

Yes

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Tom Landry was run out of town by that dick Jerry Jones 30ish years ago, so if you don’t know football, you are going to have no idea who he coached, especially if you’re younger.

And the Purple People Eaters were forty years ago.

I'm old.  ;-)

• Love 10

And nobody knew "Lawrence of Arabia" for the Peter O'Toole clue?!  I saw that movie 7 times!  I was young and "in love" with Peter O'Toole :)

Couldn't believe no one got it, tragic. Loved that movie, and Peter O'Toole in just about EVERYTHING 

Some movies you assume have been seen by everyone. This morning one of the local anchors made a joke about "Ned, Ned RYERSON?", it being Groundhog Day, and the other anchor had no clue. SMH

Ran the herp derp football category, thank you very much. But clueless for FJ. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm old.  ;-)

Yeah, Landry and the Purple People Eaters were ones I got, because that's back when I watched. So, I'm old too. :)

I'm probably in the minority, but though I loved Peter O'Toole, I found Lawrence of Arabia the most tedious film ever (might have been matched by The English Patient - but I didn't watch that).

• Love 2