Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The weird thing about FJ was I swear I've seen that particular trivia question before - I was pretty sure it was Iran, but like Manny thought it could be Iraq.  Weird sense of deja vu when it popped up, and can't think of where besides Jeopardy I would have seen the question. 

I liked the results - I don't want  it to happen everyday but someone winning with $1 once every 25 years or so is an interesting thing to see.  This may make me an awful person, but I was kind of glad not to see Fran win because something about the timbre of her voice was really grating to my ears and I didn't want to have to go through another day with her.  Also, I would have been okay with Azerbaijan or Iran as the winner's FJ answer, but Tibet was so far off and a landlocked region that I would have hated to see it be it's guesser be the winner through a betting quirk.

• Love 3

I really liked Fran, I was rooting for her although I also liked Carlos and his running from the Roller Derby women! I had no idea that was a thing.

That was an incredibly exciting end to the game. I might have yelled. I thought the wagers of the tied for first place contestants made sense, you have to bet it all in case you both get the answer correct. If I were Manny, I wouldn't have bet anything but it was smart that he didn't bet it all. And lucky.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

What a bonehead wager

Seriously!! All he needed to do was wager, maybe, $500, in case she bet it all and got it right (of course, he would still have to have gotten it right). But, no, $17K of $19K??? That's just cocky AND stupid.

• Love 5

Some seriously bad wagering on display in FJ today.

Thanks to getting the final DJ question right, Joanna prevented Manny from having a runaway.  She had a smidgen more than half what he had.

In a situation like this, the second place person (Joanna) must assume the first place person (Manny) will be rational and bet only a few hundred dollars.  The second place person must bet all (or almost all) of her holdings.

Joanna got FJ correct but my heart fell when they revealed her wager was only $399.  Was she trying for only second place?

Then they reveled Manny's response and he got it wrong.  I felt even worse for Joanna at throwing away certain victory by betting small.

But, in a boneheaded move, Manny bet $17000, most of what he had!  Joanna, despite her bad bet, ended up winning!

To summarize:
Correct bets: Joanna big, Manny small.
Actual bets: Joanna small, Manny big.

I don't understand how people can be smart enough to get on this show and so dumb in FJ wagering.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Luvzmutt said:

Can someone please post the answer to the final jeopardy question.  My local station broke away for a breaking news update as soon as the FJ music started.

You can always find the FJ clue of the day on the Jeopardy website homepage (just scroll down).

Except for once when it was a random clue in DJ instead of FJ :P

• Love 2

Can someone please post the answer to the final jeopardy question.  My local station broke away for a breaking news update as soon as the FJ music started.

"What is the eradication of smallpox?" So proud that I got it.

Edited by LadyintheLoop
  • Love 3

I think Manny's angel took a hike.

Bonehead risk on his part, IMO.

I expected that sort of wager from Austin - but then he probably would have got the right answer (question).

• Love 2

Total boneheaded wagering!  Although given the category title, I probably wouldn't have bet much, either.  FJ wasn't quite an instaget, though, mostly because it took me a second to figure out how to word what they were looking for.  Farm girl immediately led me to smallpox, but connecting the dots to the eradication thereof (smallpox, not farm girls) was a little slower.

But I did get several TS, including merry-go-round, electoral college, spillway and silent e.  Merry-go-round was a total guess, based on the clue, though. 

Congrats to the new champ!

• Love 3

Well, I misread 1980 as 1890, so I was totally confused.

Not sure I would have got it even if I had read it correctly, though! I was thinking more along the lines of sulfa drugs (which was initially tested on the scientist's ill/dying daughter) - but I was pretty sure that happened later than 1890 (and obviously was well before 1980!).

• Love 1

I squealed when I saw the Electric Company category. I would have yelled Hey you guys like Rita Moreno. I was shocked no one got that clue and silent E. I think people bet based on their knowledge of the Final Jeopardy category. Joanna probably wasn't sure she had the right answer.

• Love 4

Manny!  WTF!?  What a stupid wager.  Joanna seems okay, so congrats to her.   I'm glad Chelsea didn't win.  Her open mouthed "grin" during the intro turned me off.

Pictures of Hugh Grant and Michael Caine.  Really?  I've never heard the London Eye referred to as the Millennium Wheel.  Unfortunately, The Electric Company was well after my time.

I got Little Richard and spillways.

For FJ I figured it was the eradication of some disease, but I didn't know which one.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 10

As soon as the category The Electric Company was listed, I yelled out "Hey you guys!"

25 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

My guess is Manny was ready to be done and he figured if he was going to play another game he might as well bet a huge amount. If you don't mind losing why not.

That could be it. After that debacle yesterday with winning with a $1, maybe he thought he really didn't have much of a right to be there anyway so just let the chips fall where they may. 

• Love 2

IMO Manny's been kind of a yutz since the beginning.  I think the uniform covers a multitude of sins.  But this was really Cliff Clavin-worthy.

Did Joanna not get the memo that you have to make a stupid face in the intro shots?  That's why I was rooting for her from the get-go.  Good girl.

ETA:  Thanks for the link, Driad.  Love Tom Lehrer.  I'm gonna go poison some pigeons in the park now.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 7

You all have to admit Joanna made a stupid bet in FJ, too.  Doesn't matter how unconfident you are in the category, you should never aim for second place unless it's a runaway.

Her small bet opened her up to getting passed by third-place Chelsea with a correct response and a decent wager (neither of which happened).  And the only way Joanna could have won was in the unlikely circumstance that Manny was (1) an irrational better and (2) got the response wrong.  Which happened today.  So Joanna lucked into a win.  But she can't count on that type of luck.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've never heard the London Eye referred to as the Millennium Wheel.

Same here. I'm sure London Eye would have been accepted.

I said carousel instead of merry-go-round. I'm not sure if THAt would have been accepted.

I only got electoral college when Alex paused after Manny said electorate.

I didn't like how Alex said, "Hey you guys!"

I was so off for FJ. I said cloning. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always get the Black & Caspian Seas mixed up. No matter what the correct response is on J!, I invariably have guessed the other one.

I'm doing *much* better with map geography since I've been doing "The Countries of the World" on JetPunk.com.  Fill in the map in 15 minutes - 196 sovereign nations.  I've gotten it done in as little as 6 minutes, but I'm limited by my typing skills. But the seas aren't labelled.  :-(

The Black Sea and Caspian Sea are in alphabetical order when looking at the map.  My mnemonic from freshman geography must have worked, since I still remember it some 25+ years later.

• Love 2

Just spent a couple of days catching up from 1.5 weeks of traveling, and life interfering with my Jeopardy viewing. I was spoiled about Austin Smug Chewbacca Dicktree Rivers Rogers' loss by TMZ of all things. I loved his knowledge & gutsy wagers, but his thirst for attention was getting old. Dare I hope he tone it down for the ToC? 

The $1 game was nuts! Guessed Iran immediately, but then wondered if it could be a -stan country. I would have been ok with any of them winning, but was rooting for Carlos since we are both from NOLA. The roller derby running of the bulls is fun, but my favorite is the GEICO running of the bull..dogs commercial. I would be all over that. 

I ran the apple category Wednesday, and TS I got were Bolivar (missed DD), electoral college, spillway, hey you guys. I was on the same wavelength as Manny for FJ & guessed test tube baby. 

4 hours ago, DrScottie said:

As soon as the category The Electric Company was listed, I yelled out "Hey you guys!"

So did I. If only there had been an easy reader clue...

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

I would have yelled Hey you guys like Rita Moreno. I was shocked no one got that clue

I know!  I would have yelled that also and am shocked no one knew it. And they have asked that before I think - when they did the entire Rita Moreno category. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was so off for FJ. I said cloning. 

I said cloning too! But how did Alex say "Hey you guys?" I had a horribly off day - even with the photo of Hugh Grant, I thought it sounded too much like Lou Grant, so I thought I was wrong. Everything seemed to be on the tip of my tongue. Anyway, I like Joanna. When they introduced her, "I said librarians always do well!" And what's with all the Brooklynites lately? I guess I don't have a chance. Or do I....?

• Love 2

I squealed when I saw the Electric Company category. I would have yelled Hey you guys like Rita Moreno. 

Same here! I LOVED The Electric Company so much when I was a kid! So nice to see it get a whole category. Easy Reader was conspicuously absent though.

The other TS I got was Little Richard, and the Bolivar DD. He's a pretty popular clue for anything Venezuela.

My FJ losing streak continues as I too guessed cloning for FJ. I cannot even with Manny's bet.

• Love 3

Now, that was pulling a Claven! I think Manny was tired and didn't care if he lost. I wasn't paying close attention to the interviews, but didn't he say something about taking his winnings and going home? I think he was very content to do that, by that point.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Now, that was pulling a Claven! I think Manny was tired and didn't care if he lost. I wasn't paying close attention to the interviews, but didn't he say something about taking his winnings and going home? I think he was very content to do that, by that point.

He said that after being left with $1 after FJ Tuesday he figured he would be taking his winnings and going home, so he was surprised to have won. I'm not saying he wasn't ready to go home, but that wasn't the point of his story. 

• Love 2

My guess is Manny was ready to be done and he figured if he was going to play another game he might as well bet a huge amount. If you don't mind losing why not.

Is Manny married?  (We FF through all of the chit-chat and personal stories.)  If I were his wife, I would have KILLED him.  So stupid.

I would assume that the players can jot down some notes and calculations before they answer the question ... can they?  I could see myself getting flustered at the end and not being able to do simple math in my head if I couldn't write things down.

• Love 2

Add me to the list who said cloning for FJ. I got a few TS's but my drinking got in the way of my writing them down. I need to get back to doing that more regularly. I know I had Little Richard, Simon Bolivar, and Hey You Guys, which surprised me as a TS. I agree that Alex gave it no justice.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've never heard the London Eye referred to as the Millennium Wheel. 

"The Millennium Wheel" is probably the official name, but everyone just calls it "the London Eye". We have a sculpture here in Chicago whose official name is "Cloud Gate". If you were to ask 100 Chicagoans "have you ever seen 'Cloud Gate'?", very few would answer "yes". However, ask those same people "have you ever seen 'The Bean'?", I bet 95% of them would say yes. "The Bean" is the common name for "Cloud Gate" (which looks like a giant silver bean). The question is, if the contestant had answered "the London Eye", would it have been accepted?

• Love 4

There seems to be some confusion on when people wager for FJ. Contestants choose their wager after knowing the category but before they see the "answer" (clue). 

I don't know if it's already happened, but I'd love to see an economist analyze Jeopardy using game theory!

1 hour ago, Pallida said:

There seems to be some confusion on when people wager for FJ. Contestants choose their wager after knowing the category but before they see the "answer" (clue). 

I don't know if it's already happened, but I'd love to see an economist analyze Jeopardy using game theory!

I don't think anybody is confused about when the wagering happens.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Charlotte, NC has a piece of art in a similar circumstance. Ask anyone if they've seen “Le Grand Oiseau de Feu Sur l’Arche,” and they'll give you a blank look. But *everybody's* seen Disco Chicken!

NCCHAdisco_tracy.jpg

Love the disco chicken! This needs to be a Jeopardy clue so that Alex can pronounce it en français

• Love 5

Speaking of French pronunciation, Justin got away with one today. He left the first N sound out of L'Enfant.

This game shows the advantage of starting at the top of the category. They didn't seem to expect that "The Chandler" would be Raymond. (Of, course, we never did see the top clue.)

• Love 6

Congrats to Tom.  I really liked him right from the beginning.

Lots of TS!  I missed a lot of them and still got Fenway Park, oyster, Mean Streets, cops, Spencer, Copeland, and spring.

I got FJ because there was a clue (in fact, I think it was an FJ) not that long ago regarding Daniel Day Lewis and his role as Lincoln.

• Love 5