Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Eastwatch

• Start Topic

Daenerys demands loyalty from the surviving Lannister soldiers; Jon heeds Bran's warning about White Walkers on the move; Cersei vows to vanquish anyone or anything that stands in her way.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

• Love 1

Well shit. All season among spoiler-avoiding people I've been trolling discussions by saying "Gendry was great in this episode." Now what?

On an unrelated note, Khal Drogo was great in this episode.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

Drogon:  “I declare Jon Snow a member of the House Targaryen”

And Gilly unwittingly discovered that he's legitimate since High Septon Whoever annulled "Prince Ryegar"'s previous marriage and performed a secret wedding ceremony.

I appreciate that there is still conflict between Arya and Sansa, I just wish it wasn't being driven by Littlefinger's manipulations.  Anyone catch the text of the scroll he planted for Arya to find?

I squeed like a little girl at Gendry.

• Love 11

The cat-and-mouse game between Littlefinger and Arya is getting ugly. I predict Arya will kill Littlefinger. I also love that Arya and Sansa's initial joy at being reunited is already soured with the same issues that drove them apart the last time -- namely, Arya's belief that Sansa's willing to sell out the family in favor of the new shiny thing. 

I've stopped caring about Dany's storyline now that she and Jon and Tyrion are separated. All she ever wants is for people to "bend the knee." No idea how to rule, no plan, just wants fealty. I loved when Jon told her that he didn't need her permission to do anything. With that being said Dany's reunion with Jorah was nice and a reminder of when Dany wasn't so power hungry and entitled. 

Sam - listen to Gilly. She's smart.

The reunion between Tyrion and Jaime was the highlight for me. These brothers still love each other and I love how both actors acted the hell out of that scene. You could tell part of Tyrion really just wanted to be accepted as a Lannister again and part of Jaime wanted to say "come home Tyrion" but neither one could do it. 

Speaking of Jaime, Cersei is knocked up? Just what we needed, more Cersei/Jaime spawn. Ugh at that grossmance.

And yay Gendry! Is he the last living Baratheon?

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 19

KING GENDRY! He was awesome this episode. His first meeting with Jon was so cute! The actors have great bro chemistry.

Speaking of chemistry...or lack of...if Dany and Jon are going be a legit love story, the lack of chemistry between Kit and Emilia is a real problem. JMO

I enjoyed the reunion between Jorah and Dany. I take back my earlier statement that Emilia has chemistry with no one.

The Arya/Sansa scene was...interesting. Felt forced.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, mac123x said:

Anyone catch the text of the scroll he planted for Arya to find?

It was the letter that Cersei had Sansa write telling Rob to be a good boy and bend the knee.

• Love 7

Davos is an absolute treasure.  The writers love him and I do too.  "I thought you were still rowing somewhere."  

Sam needs to not be so damned impatient and listen.  Arya also needs to be more perceptive.

Cersei is super irritating and I'll be happy if a Dracarys comes her way.

• Love 22
11 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Much like last season, now that the Stark reunions are out of the way, now for the really forced plot conflict.  In this case, the suddenly psycho Arya is mad that Sansa didn’t immediately start cutting off heads when lords complain about Jon being gone too long (granted, those complaints are ridiculous), and is now being set up to think Sansa is a traitor on the basis of that ludicrous letter from Season 1 that is totally meaningless, and Arya should be smart enough to figure that out.

Not just on that basis, but on basis of Arya's (apparently accurate, judging from Sansa's reaction) discernment that Sansa is secretly hoping Jon will never return and that she will have the North to herself. 

This episode seemed kind of...jerky compared to previous episodes. Scenes felt unfinished or fixed up in editing, I dunno. The Jaime/Tyrion scene in particular fell flat. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 8

Yea, Rhaegar's the biggest piece of shit in all of westeros. So glad he had time to get an annulment while so many were dying for his dumb ass

That final draft cleaned up the script very well. Both Dany and Tyrion presented compelling points on how to deal with the Tarlys without either being right or wrong.

That wight hunt is not a smart idea.

When the hell did Cersei become such a master game player? Back in the day, she would've killed Tyrion as soon as she landed but she waited, or did Jaime telling her that Oleanna was the murderer have a bigger effect on her then even she cares to admit.

So Arya knows how to pick locks now? Whatever way to establish that I guess.

Littlefinger's playing chess while Arya's playing checkers.

At some point there's going to be consequences for Sam' actions right?  At this point, I expect him to get his chain right after the white walker war. 

I sometimes forget how good dinkelage can be when given the right actors to bounce off. Holy shit was that scene between the two brothers intense.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 12
Just now, Eyes High said:

Not just on that basis, but on basis of Arya's (apparently accurate, judging from Sansa's reaction) discernment that Sansa is secretly hoping Jon will never return and that she will have the North to herself. 

Even Arya said words to the effect of Sansa was trying not to think about it, so it's pretty forced as a conflict.  Obviously the possibility would occur to anybody considering the angles.  

Just now, Oscirus said:

So Arya knows how to pick locks now? Whatever way to establish that I guess.

Sansa was able to do that in Season 5 with a corkscrew, so I assume Arya, with all her commando training, would have no problem with that.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, SeanC said:

In this case, the suddenly psycho Arya is mad that Sansa didn’t immediately start cutting off heads when lords complain about Jon being gone too long (granted, those complaints are ridiculous), and is now being set up to think Sansa is a traitor on the basis of that ludicrous letter from Season 1 that is totally meaningless, and Arya should be smart enough to figure that out.

OOOH, is it the letter that Sansa was forced to send by Cercei?  Both Robb and Catlyn immediately recognized it for a hostage note.  Hopefully Arya will show it to Sansa and say "I think Littlefinger was hoping I'd find it so I'd be mad at you.  Can I kill him and wear his face now?"

5 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Sam!  Read that annullment part!!!  

At this point, it wouldn't mean anything to Sam.  Bran needs to get that "Jon, you're Lyanna's son" info out, post-haste.

6 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Die Cersie Die!
And really?  pregnant?

My eyes rolled out of my head, across the floor, and into the dog's water bowl with that one.  Just kidding - I don't own a dog.  At this point I have to completely lay aside any characterization of Jaime from the books because other than being a blond Lannister, Show!Jaime bears little resemblance.  He's never going to turn on Cercei now.

• Love 23

Arya also needs to be more perceptive

I'm going to say she is and knows what he is up to. Or at least that's what I want.

Uggghh to Cersai and Jaimie seeingly having another child. Book Jaimie is far more interesting.

I am currently over Tyrion wringing his hands about Dani using the dragons. I mean seriously? If you have a weapon, you use said weapon. What did he think she would be doing?

Hey Sam pay attention to Gilly! I thought that annulment bit was a pretty slick way to get info out there.

I like seing Gendry but you'd think he'd mention Arya before Ned.

The scene with Jon and Drogon was amazing. Loved it.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Jorah makes it back to Dany, just in time to be appointed Lord Commander of the Friendzone for life.

LOL! Jorah is going to have to accept that he will always be a "dear friend." He is too old for her anyway. 

• Love 9

Did anyone think that Jon's encounter with Drogon and Tyrion's encounter with...whatever dragon it was that he touched first in Season 6 seemed framed similarly? More grist for the Tyrion=Targ mill?

We can add the wight hunt to Tyrion's myriad of dumb ideas this season.

While I am confident that Dany is not mad and will never go mad, and while I don't see any issue with her decision to burn the Tarlys (she gave them a choice which they refused, fair enough), my vibe from the way D&D are writing her is that they don't see her as endgame queen, even as queen to Jon's king. I dunno. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Speaking of Jaime, Cersei is knocked up? Just what we needed, more Cersei/Jaime spawn.

But is it Jaime's?  How long has it been since Cersei was boffing other guys?  

• Love 4

Is there even any reason to bring back Gendry at this point beyond letting Davos get all meta and fan servicey in joking that he's been rowing all this time?  You could almost feel the internet full of a thousand rowing memes reacting to that.

The Tyrion-Jaime reunion was fantastic.  There was so much seething hurt and anger on both sides of it along with the sense that they each really did see where the other was coming from.  Jaime does realize Cersei is most likely lying, right?  Maybe not, but he should.  She could obviously see him wavering in their earlier conversation about fighting an unwinnable war and she knew he'd met with Tyrion and would still be receptive to him.  What better way to keep him in the fold than an 11th hour promise of a kid he won't have to deny after the three he never got to claim.

I wish I found the Winterfell shenanigans half as interesting as the show clearly wants me to.  Bronn continues to say what we're all thinking.

• Love 13

I wish Sansa weren't so hooked on Winterfell.  Her snark would fit in at Highgarden.  They are down a Catty Comment Queen now that Olenna is gone.  "I'm sure cutting off heads is satisfying but..." LOL. I don't know why that made me chuckle.  Sansa needs Jon and she knows this.  She hasn't seen what's beyond the wall but she believe him and if it's not the Night King she is rightfully afraid of Cersei.  Do I think she's overly fond of Jon as a person?  meh. But she does acknowledge his martial prowess.  I didn't find the conflict between Arya and Sansa manufactured.  I also think Sansa is used to being her own Team in the sense that while Jon fostered camaraderie with Sam, Grenn and the others, Arya fostered comraderie with Gendry, Hotpie and the Leader of Assassin Hogwarts, Bran with The Reeds.  Sansa was pretty much in a bunker in terms of emotional bonding.  I notice she and Shae were close but when they went their separate ways, neither seemed to give the other much thought.   Arya is still rash, although that could be because her precious Jon was the one the Northern Lords were talking about.

So glad that Olenna got to spit in Cersei's face from beyond the grave. LMAO.  You can tell it will always naw at Cersei that Olenna didn't die screaming.  LOL.

Dickon, sigh, what could have been.  Though Dany killing his father, even due to Randyll's own stubbornness made her a mortal enemy to Dickon, Sam's mother and Sister.  And Varys should let her know that because people bend the knee does not mean they've stopped being your enemy.  The Lannister's bent the knee to the Baratheons, The Tyrells bent the knee to the Lannister's, Sansa knelt to Joffrey and Cersei.  Hatred does not die in Westeros.  I'd suggest she learn that quick and get a food taster.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Did anyone think that Jon's encounter with Drogon and Tyrion's encounter with...whatever dragon it was that he touched first in Season 6 seemed framed similarly? More grist for the Tyrion=Targ mill?

Tyrion was petting rhaegal .  Nobody wants to touch viserion and he's the prettiest dragon :(

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 9
Just now, mac123x said:

OOOH, is it the letter that Sansa was forced to send by Cercei?  Both Robb and Catlyn immediately recognized it for a hostage note.  Hopefully Arya will show it to Sansa and say "I think Littlefinger was hoping I'd find it so I'd be mad at you.  Can I kill him and wear his face now?"

Yes, I dearly hope this is Arya's reaction. Otherwise ugh. It's just plain bad contrived writing. Once again, $10 billion special effects...fifty cent script.

I cannot believe the writers would inflict another Lannister spawn on us. Stop it, writers. Just stop it.

So it's official and "Raggar" got an annulment and married Lyanna and Jon is a trueborn Targaryen. Drogon knew it right away. Smart guy, that Drogon.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, nodorothyparker said:

Is there even any reason to bring back Gendry at this point beyond letting Davos get all meta and fan servicey in joking that he's been rowing all this time?  You could almost feel the internet full of a thousand rowing memes reacting to that.

I think that Gendry is back because they are going to re-establish the House Baratheon. However, it could just be meta and fan servicing.

• Love 16

Jon meeting Drogon was everything I've always wanted but didn't know it.

Davos was the MVP yet again!

I'm really, really glad Jon was not the one who came up with the wight hunt idea as it was, in fact, Tyrion. At least Jon won't have to take the blame if it turns out to be a terrible idea (I'm thinking a definite yes at this point).

All these characters meeting and storylines converging is making my head hurt but my heart happy...

• Love 12

So, if Prince Raghar married Lyanne Stark, that makes Jon King over Dany.  If only Sam didn't tune out Gilly's babbling like normal, he'd have the next piece of the puzzle.

Hi Gendry. Can you get to Winterfell next? The rowing line had me laughing. Thanks writers, we see you too!

Danny roasting papa Tarly didn't bother me, he'd sold out Olenna. Sorry about Dickon kicking though, he wasn't such a shit this season. Hey Sam, you're head of house now, good thing he's got the sword.

Littlefinger needs to leave Arya alone. Hope Ghost is nearby when a girl decides to stab a slimebag. 

Cersei is pregnant? Is it really Jaime's?

Jailhouse reunion was odd. They all distrust each other. Makes for great fighting companions. 

Edited by dbell1
Because I can't read a scroll!
  • Love 11